Oman Air

"half the price of market average"

Verified Review | Paris to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat. Top notch airline, round trip flights in the three different cabins available for long haul, old business class, new suite business class and business class seats in leased planes from Kenyan Airways. Oman Air product ranks higher in terms of comfort and privacy than the Kenyan leased one. Avoid if possible leased planes are seat confort and privacy are a downgrade on Oman Air product. Service was outstanding, particular food, cabin staff usually from Asia and Oman for steward and on par with other carriers in the region and Asia. Connecting flights in muscat are hassle free as airport is small (new terminal by end year) and allow for little connecting time. Lounge in muscat is ok but no real shower facilities, shower spot in the toilets only. Overall, one of the best experience in terms of cabin confort and appearance and value for money, and service. Oman Air is a medium size carrier, and while that does bring some benefits in terms of customer service and experience, the network is limited but expanding. if booked in advance their business saver fare are half the price of market average which makes it the best value rate for business from europe to asia. few negatives, perhaps the lack of consistency in service and frequent flyer scheme not integrated in the main global schemes. Strongly recommend it.
RouteParis to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat
Date FlownJuly 2017

"it was a good experience"

Verified Review | I've been collecting miles and points from BA for decades and this is the first flight where I have switched to another airline because of the cuts. Oman Air compared favourably. The limo service at both ends helped, of course. The staff on board were excellent and friendly. The Champagne is Cristal and there are only six seats in first. The food was disappointing, in line with BA. The only negative was a rude staffer in the Oman Air office before departures in Muscat. She barely raised her eyes from checking her mobile phone to tell me she couldn't help me, almost sneering. But her two colleagues over-compensated and were very helpful. I've marked down the ground service because of her, but overall, it was a good experience.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon to Muscat

"standards were inconsistent"

Verified Review | London to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat. Check-in at LHR was ok, check-in was slow as only one counter open for web check-in. Boarding fine. Flight was OK, but cabin crew lacked personality or care for passenger. My wife spilled her wine and ended have to clean the aisle herself using a blanket as cabin crew serving took no interest in helping - very poor. Muscat connection was fine if a little rushed due to having to use bus to get from plane to terminal. Second flight was slightly better but again crew were like robots and unable to deal with anything outside the normal. Food on both flights was bland and tasteless like most airlines. At least all our luggage arrived! Return flight - horrendous experience at check in at KL. Waited 45 minutes in the web check-in line before being served - again only one counter for web in was open. The normal check-in line was moving faster, but we were told to wait in web check-in line. We had earlier in the day used AirAsia and managed to check in the same luggage in 5 minutes using bag drop facility. What is the point of web check-in Oman Air? When we complained to the Oman Air staff they just looked at us with a blank expression and had no idea how to deal with the situation. Their excuse was a silver card member was checking in for their family of over 7 members (who were not present at check-in) with over 10 suitcases. If they were silver card member shouldn't they have used Business Class check-in counter? It was a terrible start to the return journey and the airline representative was completely useless and tried deflect blame - very unprofessional. Return flights were ok, but boarding was a mess as the aircraft hadn't even arrived and passengers were told to get to gate - so all passengers queued and waiting to get into gate. Flight was ok - crew a bit more personable and caring although even they were getting frustrated with some of the passengers (not used to flying). Connection in Muscat was again rushed and hectic. Last flight was fine and felt more civilised after the previous flight. Food was edible. IFE was ok, but lacked variety found on other airlines. The customer service standards were inconsistent both on the ground and in the air. Aircraft were clean and spacious and the airline is value for money - the main reason for choosing the airline. Oman Air still needs to work hard to get to the standards of Emirates and Far Eastern airlines - particularly customer services.
Date FlownJuly 2017

"had left one bag in Muscat"

Verified Review | London to Kuala Lumpur return via Muscat. Return tickets bought via DialAFlight. DialAFlight had split me and my parents by gender, so I had to check-in four times. However, this was only made more difficult by Oman Air's confusing website. Our first flight from London is the one of four that I recall going nicely. In transit at Muscat we had to go through security, and take ride buses to board the plane. Upon arrival in Kuala Lumpur, we discovered they had left one bag in Muscat, and spent an hour and a half enquiring when it would be returned. For our return, I had checked-in online to assign seats for KUL-MCT at around 1220 which would later prove to be futile. Getting our boarding passes was even more stressful. We arrived at the airport around 1930, and after speaking to the check-in staff, we were informed that all three of our names were not on register for the flight. It was only after we found this out that other passengers had the same issue. The staff checking us in tried to fix the issue which took one and a half hours, delaying the flight to 2220. We were assigned new seats that I deliberately avoided in the first place. Check-in aside, the flight was pleasant. By the time we landed in Muscat, our connecting flight to London already taken off. We were put on the next flight which was just under 12 hours later. The airport then arranged for a night's stay at the Golden Tulip Seeb Hotel. Our seats on this flight were less than pleasant. At the very back, overhead storage space was occupied by flight supplies so our bags had to go under the seats in front of us.
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not travel this airline again"

Verified Review | Paris to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat. The checkin at Paris was good, Oman uses Cathay's lounge which is a decent lounge. The flight got delayed by 4.5 hours with little information from ground crew. Once we landed in Muscat having missed our connections, none of the staff knew how to deal with passengers with missed connections. People were told to go and queue at one counter only to be told to go to another counter and queue up again. It took nearly three hours to arrange a hotel and an alternative flight for me. I was very disappointed with the lack of coordination of the ground staff. I would not travel with this airline again.
RouteParis to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat
Date FlownJune 2017

"service and food quality is just average"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Flew Business Class recently with Oman Air from Jakarta to Frankfurt via Muscat. Seats are ok, but service and food quality is just average. Etihad has better food offering and much better service. Business Class Lounge in Muscat is also disappointing. There are only seats that are not very comfortable when you have 2 or more hours of layover. Food is also very limited. Turkish Airlines Lounge in Istanbul is much better. Etihad lounge in Abu Dhabi also has better food. Muscat airport is also very small, nothing much to do, you have to get off the plane on staircase and take a shuttle bus to the airport. No cell phone coverage here in Muscat if you have Google Fiber. Overall I would not recommend flying Oman Air unless you get a much lower price than Etihad, Emirates or Turkish.
RouteJakarta to Frankfurt via Muscat
Date FlownJune 2017

"complaints ignored every time"

Verified Review | We have recently made 1 trip with Oman Air from Abu Dhabi via Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne and 3 trips with Oman Air from Abu Dhabi to Manchester via Muscat. Every time there has been an issue. We have contacted Oman Air and followed their complaints procedure and have been ignored every time. We are very disappointed with the poor customer service and incompetence shown by Oman Air. Their staff are rude and unhelpful. Abu Dhabi to Melbourne via Muscat and Kuala Lumpur. Flight WY632 between Muscat and Kuala Lumpur. Our bags went missing. We filed a report at Kuala Lumpur and were assured that Oman Air would contact us within 24 hours. That never happened. We spent 5 days of a 9 day holiday without our clothes. The bags eventually turned up on the 5th day which involved a 4hr round trip to collect them. We made numerous phone calls to Oman Air during this time and staff were very unhelpful. We raised a complaint with Oman Air and received a very unhelpful reply from Customer Relations. They ignored all of our replies to this email. We raised another complaint for which they acknowledged receipt - and then ignored. Abu Dhabi to Manchester via Muscat on 13th May 2017. Inbound flight WY634 and WY105 from Muscat to Abu Dhabi was delayed so the connecting flight from Muscat to Manchester was missed. No representatives present at the airport to help us apart from on female member of staff in a distant office dealing with all irate customers and missed connections. It took so long for her to organise that the first Etihad direct flight to Manchester was missed and the next flight was several hours later. This flight was going to London. There was a shuttle provided by BA to Manchester. When we arrived in Manchester, our bags were not there. We arrived in Manchester at 1am, Oman Air promised our bag would be delivered the following morning; they arrived at 8pm – nearly 24hr late. I also had my 7yr old son with me. Manchester to Abu Dhabi via Muscat - Flight WY633 on 18th May 2017. The flight was delayed so the connecting flight was missed. The aircraft did not make up the time during the journey and this was despite promises from Oman Air staff that the connecting flight to Abu Dhabi would wait. This incurred a 5hr wait in Muscat Airport for me and my 7yr old son. We were put on an Etihad flight. Manchester to Abu Dhabi via Muscat. Flight WY0106 on 4th June 2017. The flight was delayed so the connecting flight was missed. The aircraft did not make up the time during the journey and this was despite promises from Oman Air staff that the connecting flight to Abu Dhabi would wait. This incurred a 5hr wait in Muscat Airport. No food or water was offered to me or my 7yr old son. We were put on an Etihad flight.
RouteManchester to Abu Dhabi via Muscat
Date FlownMay 2017

"worst I've experienced for long haul"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Goa via Muscat. I've flown with many many different airlines and Oman Air are the worst I've experienced for long haul. On my flight out from Heathrow, my seat sliding mechanism was broken which meant that when I stretched out the seat would slide out and backrest would fall back. I complained and nothing was done about it on the flight. On return flight, my entertainment unit didn't work. I complained, and again they didn't do anything or pretend to care. So an 8 hour flight without any form of entertainment was hell. I was suffering from a stomach bug on my way back to London and needed water because I was getting dehydrated. I got up and walk to the galley and asked nicely if I could have some water because I'm not well. I got a rude response of "Yeah I will bring it to you", what she really wanted to say is "go away". I just stood there looking at the staff until she gave me water. I've never experienced such rude service in my life on an airplane. My experience of the connecting Oman Air flights between Muscat and Goa was a complete different story. They were great, exactly what I expect from an airline. The short flights would get 5*s.
RouteHeathrow to Goa via Muscat
Date FlownJune 2017

"quite pleasant and on time"

(Oman)

Verified Review | Muscat to Salalah return on Oman Air. Both 80 min flights full, still quite pleasant and spot on time. Check-in in Muscat ok, in Salalah (new airport) excellent. Food on Oman Air short distance flights is inedible. I would much prefer just water and a (good) coffee or tea. New Oman Air lounge in Salalah is quiet, very good.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / EMB175
RouteMuscat to Salalah
Date FlownApril 2017

"very positive experience"

Verified Review | Flew London Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur via Muscat return with Oman Air. Fantastic experience, now I want to only travel with them. Seats in economy cabin are comfortable 2x4x2, attention of the crew was good all time . We were very lucky and got upgraded to premium seats on our way back so was even more comfortable. Generally very positive experience and I would highly recommend the airline.
Date FlownApril 2017