Norwegian

"zero communication"

Trip Verified | My Norwegian flight on June 16 from Paris to NYC was cancelled. The attendants at the gate informed us it was due to mechanical issues however the real fact was that the cancellation was due to airline employee strikes which is an activity Parisians are highly skilled in. Two more flights the next day on Norwegian to NYC were canceled as well from the same issue. I don’t blame the airline for the cancelled flight or the Parisians poor work habits at the airport, however the communication or should I say zero communication is what should be called out. They had one attendant to handle the situation and all information was passed along to other passenger’s amongst the passengers. No announcement over the loud speaker or anything. The single attendant who did not speak English just stood behind the ticket counter at the exit area in baggage claim and simply froze. He had no clue what to do. A passenger on the airline that spoke French and English met with him and stood on the baggage gate carrier and informed the passengers on the next steps. This passenger took control over the airlines dysfunction. The pasenger/airline spokesperson informed us we all had rooms waiting for us at a hotel 45 minutes away and they would take us to the hotel by 3 busses, which they did. I was on the second bus and when we pulled up to the hotel we informed there were no rooms left. The bus driver who appeared clueless and was only interested in a smoking break informed us if we left the bus they could no longer help us which was a good enough reason to leave the bus. I grabbed my luggage and walked to a nearby hotel and booked a room myself I received a text from the airline that a hotline was set up for this flight to rebook but then received another text that the hotline had crashed. I was able to get through to Norwegian the next day and get a flight the following day.
RouteParis to New York

"Worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Norwegian staff in Orly, Paris airport lied to our plane members multiple times regarding a canceled flight. They sent us an hour outside of Paris by bus to a hotel and told us a bus would pick us up for our flight but when we got there, the hotel staff said "they booked you a room for tonight and have you leaving tomorrow" after we had slept in the airport overnight. They refused to give us passengers any food when we hadn't eaten in 24 hours and slept in what looked like a refugee campsite with mini cots. Worst airline experience I've ever had. Norwegian, you treat people with no respect and very inhumanely.
RouteParis to New York
Date FlownJune 2018

"it's a reasonable airline"

Not Verified | Okay for holidays, but unreliable if you need to be on time for a connecting flight, or for business. Obviously, leave a couple of hours between connecting flights I flew Gatwick to New York. The flight from London to New York was delayed by a bit over 2 hours meaning I couldn't make a connecting flight, lost over £1000 in the flights I was hoping to connect to. In defense of Norwegian they did offer more compensation than they were required to under European Union rules, a free rebook was offered, they could have said tough as it's under 3-hour delay you get nothing. For holidays it's a reasonable airline, But if you're making connecting flights they are too risky to use, due to their small fleet.
RouteGatwick to New York
Date FlownMay 2018

"nowhere to put my legs"

Trip Verified | The negatives of travelling business and not being able to choose your flight. Thanks to my booking including food I was lucky enough to sample the food that was woeful, small and came with two drinks throughout a 10 hour flight. Were you opting for this flight because you wanted to save money then you receive nothing onboard unless you pay for it. I’m 6’2” and had nowhere to put my legs, the seats were leather or faux leather and the cabin incredibly warm, a blanket or pillow is extra. At least the crew were welcoming and competent, unless you wanted some sort of service. The woman in front was in economy but apparently paid for premium and didn’t get a meal, a drink or the cabin she paid for. It wasn’t until she kicked off she managed to get food and drink. The 150 hours of online entertainment was about as good as virgin used to be in 2008.
RouteLos Angeles to Gatwick

"my bag was too large"

Trip Verified | Norwegian do not serve any complimentary water or food/snacks on this flight. The flight began with me having to pay 70 pounds because my bag was too large. The woman at the check-in desk said my backpack would not fit even though it met the weight and dimension requirements and had been accepted on the first flight. Once on board, I found the overhead bins to be extremely large and most of them were empty.
RouteGatwick to Denver
Date FlownJune 2018

"was cancelled 10 days prior"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight for my family of 5: 2 children under 5, two adults, and a senior citizen for a direct flight from Boston to Paris Charles De Gaulle (flight time ~6-7 hours). We paid extra for this particular flight only to learn it was cancelled 10 days prior to departure for an inspection. After 2+ hours on hold we were given a flight from Boston to Newark on United and then to Paris Orly on Norwegian. This flight totaled approximately 13 hours including layover but it was the only option they had for us arriving the same day. We arrived in Newark and waited in an hour and a half security line with two young kids at 11:00pm. We arrived at the terminal where were informed the flight was delayed for technical issues. Shortly after the announcement the gate staff disbanded and it was over 40 minutes later they abruptly announced the flight was cancelled and directed us to the baggage area. By now it was past 1am. Interestingly enough all of the gate staff that had left were down at the ticket counter so clearly they knew the flight was going to be cancelled up to an hour before letting their customers know. We retrieved our baggage and then had to wait in a line with hundreds of people for hotel vouchers. We arrived at the hotel at 3am and were told the flight was delayed until 7am. At 7am the flight was delayed until noon. At noon the flight was delayed until 1pm. During this time I waited on hold for Norwegian customer service for cumulatively for 5 hours. At 11 am a Norwegian phone rep said the flight would be cancelled and transferred me to the “rebooking hotline”. At 12:20pm the rebooking hotline picked up and promptly told me there was nothing she could do, as the flight was still ‘delayed’, and was going to put me back through to customer service. When asked how that would help she said “I don’t know”. I asked if she could help me come up with an alternative flight arrangement in the event the flight was cancelled and she said “no”. I travel frequently for business and pleasure - domestically and internationally- and I cannot remember a time an airline demonstrated the level of unprofessionalism, lack of compassion, and disregard for the schedules of their passengers. We are traveling for a family reunion and to meet a new addition to our family and Norwegian has now twice stopped this trip with very little in the way of compassion. When asked about reparations the say to file a claim online and they will get back to you in 4-6 weeks -this further demonstrates their service culture. My hold time on the phone is now up to 7 hours cumulatively - there is no excuse for this.
RouteNewark to Paris

"very uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Newark to Rome. The seats are so tight and very uncomfortable. On our return flight we were passed by on the food and drinks. They weren’t going to give us water until we informed them that we were premium passengers. The flight attendant insisted we were not on her list which was embarrassing for us. When she finally brought our food (reluctantly) it wasn’t fit for us. This airline is cheap in every aspect.
RouteNewark to Rome

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Milan via Copenhagen. We used Norwegian as our choice of airline. The airfare didn't seem so bad at first, $1,800.00 round trip. But then there is the cost of the luggage, since we had a layover in Denmark, we had to pay the luggage cost from NYC to Denmark, and then from Denmark to Italy. They charge not only for luggage but also for water, yes water, on a over 8 hour long trip they didn't have the courtesy to provide the customers with water. They also charge for blankets, food, snacks, everything. The sits in the airplane are very uncomfortable and they don't recline not even 1/2 inch. They crank up the AC in the airplane so if you don't have a sweatshirt you'd have to buy their blankets, otherwise you'd freeze. On our way back from Italy, we left from Malpensa airport. Our flight was supposed to leave at 13:50 on June 8th. The first bad sign about this whole experience with Norwegian was that there was not any Norwegian presence at the airport. We arrived the night before the flight at the airport and looked around and saw absolutely no Norwegian presence anywhere, not a sign or desk. I had to check by travel documents to make sure I was at the right airport. There was an airport strike and 99% of the flights were cancelled. But, of course our flight wasn't, in fact the flight left 2 hours earlier and my wife and I and quite a few other passengers weren't informed. No announcements, no emails, no texts. I called their customer service in the US and got a busy signal. I then called the Denmark customer service and because I was calling from Italy from my US phone, the signal was terrible and they couldn't understand me, at least that's what they told me, but I heard them loud and clear, they didn't want to bother with my problem. I called them a second time and the customer service heard me, but after a few seconds put me on hold and hung up. I called the US customer service and finally got a hold of someone, who did not care or helped me. She said I had to find someone in the airport to help me. After a while my nice manner with this customer service representative worn off and I gave her a piece of my mind about Norwegian airlines. Needless to say I got ripped off by an airline company that only care about taking advantage of customers with bait and switch tactics, terrible service, terrible customer service. In my mind for some reason I thought that European service/customer service would be a lot better then any other part of the world, but right now, its the worse possible. Norwegian did not refund my flight and I had to book a flight back from Malpensa to NYC and the only airline available that would fly that day was Emirates and for last minute booking for $1,200.00 for two people direct flight was fantastic. I think all airlines should look at how Emirates takes care of their customers and learn from them. They are an amazing airline.
RouteNew York JFK to Milan via Copenhagen
Date FlownMay 2018

"disconnected from reality"

Trip Verified | After sitting at Edinburgh for several hours, Norwegian canceled our flight an hour before the airport closed down. Not a single Norwegian staffer ever got on the intercom to update passengers at any point. All communication was done via Swissport staff. Hotel accommodation was made for us at a nearby Holiday Inn, but new flights could only be done via Norwegian directly. Phone line we were on hold for over 3 hours including US and UK numbers. Never was a single human from the company able to speak with us on any digital media or real-life vocal platform. This is as disconnected from reality as possible.
RouteEdinburgh to Stewart

"no premium class"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Paris. We booked Premium Flex seats. When we loaded plane were put on a HiFly airline fight, which is a Portuguese airlines. They had no premium class. No one was told about the change. We paid for their premium class and was put on a plane that dinner trays didn’t even work. They had tape holding seats together. They still never said anything to any of the passangers. We had the same problem flying out of Milan. Our flight was canceled without any booking options. Total fraud. Do not fly Norwegian
Cabin FlownPremium Economy