Norwegian

Review by (United States) 31st July 2015

Stockholm Arlanda - LAX, flight DY7087, 30 July 2015: Our flight home to LAX, was chartered out to EuroAtlantic Airways. We were supposed to fly home on a Boeing 787, but instead were flown on a very old Boeing 777. This was by far my worst experience with a long-haul flight, and I travel internationally about once every 1-2 years. I will not fly Norwegian for a long-haul flight again in the future. I guess you get what you pay for. Problems during pre-flight check-in process: My seat was reassigned from 13D to 53A. I had paid extra in order to choose my seat when I booked, and so this reassignment to the back of the plane was not something I was happy about. At least my husband and I were reassigned to seats next to each other, which was not the case for some passengers. The pre-boarding process was chaos. All passengers were required to stay in a small holding area for more than 1.5 hours while waiting for announcements from staff. Boarding took about 45 minutes to begin. There was then no further boarding announcements, just a sudden chaotic surge of people toward the gate. No order of boarding by rows or early boarding was done. So the boarding process itself took at least another hour. By this time our flight takeoff was delayed 2.5 hours. Features of this aircraft which were very disappointing: Aircraft was dirty and smelt. Dust and food particles on seats, trash stuck in various places, including in the ashtrays in the armrests. The entertainment system was basically non-functional. After messing around with it we discovered it had about 4 analog stations showing 3 TV comedy programs in a continuous loop. Often there was so much static they were impossible to watch. The audio outlets appeared to be for the old 3-prong type earphones from the 1980s. Using my own headset only allowed sound in one ear. The gluten free menu I had ordered was delivered promptly. The flight attendants would not collect my trash for about 2.5 hours after it was served, even when I requested it to be collected. No climate control (air vents) for passengers. It was all centrally controlled, so either was too hot or too cold the whole flight. With my window seat, the window shades (closed) were very hot as we flew over Greenland and Canada. This made the flight even more uncomfortable. Very limited beverage choices, and provided infrequently. We had to go to the galley at the rear of the plane twice to request water. Positives about this flight: The seats had footrests, which helped a bit with my lower back pain. Relatively smooth flight once we finally took off.
RouteHelsinki to Los Angeles via Stockholm

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Lots of bad reviews, so we kept our fingers crossed and everything worked out fine. Flew their "premium" class one way Gatwick to LAX and this fare was about the same price as the next cheapest which was Air New Zealand economy class, (32 seats in this class - all others are economy, and everything is provided for you at no additional cost for "premium"). Plane took off/arrived on time - no problem there. Attendants were professional and pleasant. This was a 787, but kind of like buying a car with no extras as the reclining seats were manual, (they are like the old business class seats- wide and reclining, but not lay flat and controls not automatic). Entertainment fine. This is not like flying a legacy airline business class - stemware is thin plastic, utensils plastic, meal served like a box-lunch, but I would do it again considering it was only about $350 more for the 11 hour flight to fly premium.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteGatwick to Los Angeles

Review by (Spain) 27th July 2015

Low cost but a friendly and relaxed company - I always use it for my flights when possible. Online service is slow, customers servie line by international call only. Friendly and kind staff onboard, free internet for all passengers and affordable prices for extras.
RouteHAM to LPA

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th July 2015

Delay, no communication and cancelled flight at 20.50 with no explanation or help. All passengers left to fend for themselves, with next flight 24 hours later. Never again.
RouteGatwick to JFK

Review by (United States) 22nd July 2015

First Flight: short and uneventful on a B737-800, free internet onboard, and a TV show playing throughout the flight. Cabin crew were helpful, and seats were comfortable. Stockholm Airport: Flying premium, we were allowed in Menzies Lounge. Warring: Lounge only lets you in 3 hours before departure. Stockholm airport is very expensive and we spent 80$ on a light meal of pasta and salad. Second Flight: Flew Premium class at the price of economy with Lufthansa. Norwegian is an undiscovered gem, having wonderful food, very helpful staff, and a clean, comfortable cabin. Crew were American and Swedish, and they served lots of drinks, and excellent food. The ambient lighting in the cabin was a nice touch in the overall modern cabin. the selection of films and music was very large, and the screens were very responsive.
AircraftBoeing 737-800, Boeing 787-8
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBUD to JFK via ARN

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st July 2015

I have relatives in the North of Norway and have flown to Tromsoe/Harstad many times. Three times I have flown Norwegian to Tromsoe and every time my luggage has had to be sent after me on a later aircraft than the one I have been booked on. The turnaround time in Oslo is too short, and staff in Oslo appeared to be very used to this happening. When I booked the flight for 7th July I specifically asked about this and was assured that it would be ok. The delayed luggage is extremely inconvenient, and has created difficulties for myself and my family.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Tromsoe via Oslo

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th July 2015

Read mixed reviews about this airline before we travelled but for us it worked. We travelled Premier Class. Seats very comfortable, lots of leg room and attentive staff. Food was fine. Drinks at meals only but otherwise water was readily available throughout the flight. Blankets are really good! Check in at Gatwick for Premier Class could be improved - we were left to fend for ourselves which was not what we were told when booking the tickets as there should be a designated check in point which was not there. The only other thing which could be improved are the selection of films on offer. They could be upgraded and brought up-to-date - we'd seen most of the films which were quite 'old'. Apart from that, we would fly with them again.
AircraftDreamliner
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteGatwick to JFK

Review by (Norway) 18th July 2015

I must say that I am pleasently surprised with this airline, Norwegian's short haul product is absolutly stunning. Actually, far better than many non-low cost airlines' short haul product. I flew one of their many aircrafts furnished with the sky interior cabin, and not only did they provide mood lighting on this 1hr 40min flight, but also free wi-fi for all passengers! To top it off, there was also an inflight entertainment system with a fair amount of movies and TV-series I could choose to from, also for free no matter which class. This offer was avaible on your phone, tablet or PC, not on a screen on the seat in front of you. Their "N" magazine was also avaible in every seat pocket. No free food or drink on offer with Norwegian. Seat was comfortable and crew members was polite and nice. Flight was on time, we landed ahead of schedule. Recommend this airline.
RouteTRD to CPH

Review by (Germany) 10th July 2015

Flew on a Norwegian flight to Haugesund, via Oslo, from Berlin. Had a 60 minute layover in Oslo. Trouble is, you have to personally walk your luggage through customs, then check it in again - once boarding starts, the baggage drop does not accept bags anymore. Thus, we were told we had to get rebooked, since we have to be on the same flight as our bags. At the counter we learned that we could be rebooked to a 22.00 flight - it was 14.25! We had booked a connection with a total travel time of 3.40 h - so, the delay of over 7 hours (for our 50 minute flight to Haugesund) effectively tripled our travel time. Staff were less than helpful in making the situation more comfortable for us - food vouchers were provided, at least. A place for my pregnant wife to rest? Fail. A place for our 15 month old toddler to nap? Fail. Getting a message to our relatives at Haugesund airport - who had no cell phone or internet connection at the cabin? Fail. All it would have taken on Norwegian's part was to have someone meet us at the other side of customs to receive our bags and direct us to our flight. It was 14.20 when we cleared customs, boarding had started 5 minutes earlier and departure was scheduled for 14.45 - Oslo has a family line for security that takes about 10 minutes, max - so we could have been at the gate by 14.35. After all, Norwegian had posted and sold us this connection. As it was, we spent the day at Oslo airport and didn't reach our destination until 22.50 that night, way past the bedtime of our toddler!
RouteSXF to HAU via Oslo

Review by (Sweden) 10th July 2015

Once departed flight was ok but before 2 hrs delay sitting at the gate. Reason due to late incoming aircraft. Fellow passenger informed 3 flights out of 3 this has happened to her. Felt like 30 degree heat in the cabin - nothing to drink. Water was for sale. Never again with this airline even if seats were for free.
RouteCopenhagen to Madrid