Norwegian

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

We were scheduled to fly from JFK to Oslo on June 2. We received a notification that due to "technical" reasons our flight was delayed. Eventually our flight was cancelled. I tried to reschedule on Icelandair but Norwegian would not pay the difference. We were rebooked on a Portuguese airline for the next day. The time of that flight was changed 4 times. Lines at JFK were horrible - 200 people and not nearly the staff to handle the crowd. We were issued a $15 meal voucher and told to submit our other expenses online. Most places at the airport would not take the voucher because. We lost our seat assignments. There was no liquor on the flight - they forgot to restock - no wifi, and no in-flight entertainment. So, we get to Oslo a day late. Our return flight was scheduled for June 11th. We got to the airport 3 hours early and were advised at 6.30, our departure time, that our flight was delayed. Eventually it was cancelled and we were placed on the same Portuguese aircraft that departed Oslo around 4 am. We spent over 12 hours in the airport and were never advised that we were entitled to a hotel room. Again, we were given meal vouchers, but it was so late that every restaurant had closed. Norwegian failed to update their website and our limo went to JFK to pick us up, not knowing that we were still in Oslo.
RouteJFK to Oslo

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd July 2015

After reading some of the reviews, I was not expecting to enjoy the flight, however I was pleasantly surprised. Although we were a little late leaving, we arrived on time. Staff were friendly and polite and the atmosphere was relaxed. I had a very cheap flight (approximately £75 return) and to keep the price low, I did not purchase extras such as reserved seats, but my partner and I managed to sit together anyway. I also only took carry on luggage. As well as one bag, you are allowed another small bag to stow under the seat. easyJet are very strict on the one bag policy, Norwegian were more relaxed. As it was a short flight I did not purchase food and drink but took my own. I would definitely fly with this airline again.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Stockholm

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

You get what you pay for. Which in the case of Norwegian, as with most other budget airlines, is a cramped seat - nothing more. Don't look for the flight attendants to offer you anything, at all. Presumably they are on board to open the doors in case of emergency and nothing more. They were not hostile or rude and there was in fact something likeable about them, especially during the brief moment they became animated while plying the duty free. Don't look for the personnel on the ground to do much more than point you to where you yourself check your bag. Norwegian was the first budget airline I've flown other than Southwest Airlines in the U.S., which is famous or notorious depending on your point of view, for their happy go lucky employees on the ground and in the air. Norwegian like other budget airlines, makes its money by grinding personnel and other costs to dust. My last minute, high season fare from Oslo to Oakland wasn't particularly bargain basement since I didn't plan in advance. Perhaps if you can snag one of the ridiculously low fares offered in the dead of winter when purchased well in advance, the lowness of the fare may outweigh the pain of the cramped seat, the absence of food or drink and the second rate inflight entertainment selection.
RouteOslo to Oakland

Review by (Norway) 21st June 2015

Flew TOS-OSL-LGW. Return trip was on SAS. Both flights left on time. I didn't buy anything, because it was expensive. I'm 180, and had plenty of legroom. I could reserve seat on the airport. Nice and helpful staff. Free Wi-Fi always good. On the return trip, we flew SAS. Much worse. Definitely choose Norwegian over SAS.
RouteLondon to Bardufoss via Oslo

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th June 2015

I will be first of many to rage about the service from this airline, but I am one of the few who decided to cut my losses and pay to fly back with Easyjet as the rest of the passengers of the 10.25am flight yesterday are still waiting to take off, it is due to leave at 6.30pm Fri. The flight to Barcelona at 10am was also cancelled due to "technical fault", they were taken to a hotel as were not leaving until next day. A thunderstorm that morning stopped planes from landing. Our plane went to Split instead. There was no announcement from airport, as airline didn't contact them- instead they emailed and texted passengers that morning and most had no wifi and phones were off. In the next few hours all the other airlines landed and took their passengers but not Norwegian. Instead of vouchers for food and drink were had one meal at 1pm (pasta and bottle of water) that was all, and we left at 8.30pm. We were told the plane would be leaving at 12.40am Thurs, I have since heard that it was delayed again to 6pm Thursday and passengers went to a hotel. All attempts at contacting customer service was futile. Clearly they run it on a shoestring and when things go wrong there is no capacity to fix it.
RouteDubrovnik to Gatwick

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

We were scheduled to fly from Oakland, California to Budapest via Oslo on Norwegian on May 30. We received an SMS message that or flight was going to be delayed. A short while later, we received another message saying that our flight would leave on time as scheduled, however it would be serviced by another carrier (that I have never heard of). We then found out from other passengers that the flight was cancelled and that all passengers were rebooked on a flight leaving 2 days later (on Monday night, June 1). We then discovered that the rescheduled flight was delayed until Tuesday morning, June 2. I called Norwegian's customer service number and after waiting on hold for 1 hour and 55 minutes, spoke to a rude service representative who said my only options were to cancel, or to go on my trip 3 days later than the orginal departure date. I asked to be rescheduled on an alternate carrier, a 3 day delay being utterly ridiculous. The representative told me that would not be possible. She said that Norwegian would put us up in a hotel at Oakland Airport and would issue a $20 per person meal allowance. She refused to let me speak to a supervisor and would not disclose the reason why. She then proceeded to hang up on me. In my 40 years of air travel, I have yet to encounter anything like this. The policies and conduct of this airline can only be described as outrageous. The Norwegian passengers on the flight said this is a common occurrence.
RouteOakland to Budapest via Oslo

Review by (United States) 16th June 2015

19 Nov 2014, Rome-Fiumicino - New York. Never again, I took the flight from Rome via Copenhagen to NY. They not only have a 20 kg allowance which I had to pay a lot of money because I had the regular 23kg packed, but they also are not exactly generous and made me pay over 100 euro for those 3 kg. I would not recommend flying this airline. Their concept is to make money off every single incident and have built in some rules that enables them to make that extra money. It's not as cheap as it seems if you add those costs.
RouteRome-Fiumicino-New York

Review by (United States) 15th June 2015

As I looked to book a flight from JFK to Copenhagen, I came across Norwegian and noticed that they were about $250 cheaper than the next leading airline, and offered a direct flight when the next expensive flight involved a brief connection. I came across some pretty negative reviews online and was apprehensive going into the flight. However, I must say that the flight far surpassed my expectations and I will be very likely to fly Norwegian again. I knew going into the flight that Norwegian does not offer complementary beverages or an in-flight meal without a hefty price, so I just made sure to grab a bite and bottle of water at JFK right before my flight and to pack my own little travel pillow (again, for $250 and a couple hours of layover saved by flying Norwegian, I can drop $10 on a sandwich before the flight and not starve, it is well worth it!). The flight was 20 minutes late boarding, though we actually arrived in Copenhagen on time. The flight itself was extremely comfortable. We boarded to music playing, they dimmed the lights quickly after take off, the cabin was pressurized at a lower altitude than most aircrafts are capable of which left me with very little jetlag, free and relatively fast wifi, and each seat was comfortable with it's own personal Android operating screen that contained several good movies & music albums to keep me entertained. All together it was a great flight experience and very impressive for the price, and one that I'd definitely recommend to others.
RouteNew York JFK to Copenhagen

Review by (United States) 14th June 2015

We were scheduled to go to JFK in NYC on Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 6.15 pm. The flight was cancelled. We were informed that we could wait until Saturday, June 13th or wait for a plane from Euro-Atlantic to arrive with a new departure time of 3 am. It took over 2 hours to receive food vouchers and new boarding passes. As we left the gate, we noticed that the new boarding passes were issued to 2 people, not us, and for a different flight. We then tried to return to #50 departure gate to inform the agent of the error but were stopped by security. We repeatedly asked security for help but were redirected through various procedures from staff before being allowed to go back to the Norwegian desk in the terminal (not at the gate where they were first issued) to get new boarding passes. After we received the new boarding passes, we returned to the restaurant area only to learn that the food vendors had closed. We then tried to sleep in the airport at restaurant booths or chairs, anything that appeared comfortable. At 2 am we returned to gate 50, as previously directed, to find no personnel from Norwegian. There was a security guard there who would not allow us to sit in "a secured area". We were not allowed to check in or board until after 3 am and we did not depart until 4 am, 10 hours after our original scheduled time. The original flight that was cancelled was the cause of this confusion and inconvenience. The misinformation from Norwegian staff was also confusing and upsetting. None of the employees seemed to know procedure and provided conflicting information. Yes, flights are cancelled all the time but paying customers should not be treated this way. We were shuffled around with absolutely no regard for us. It was exhausting. The airline could have opened their lounge, provided fresh food and a more comfortable place to rest since we had to wait an extended time. It was deplorable how we were treated. It's not worth the "cheap" price.
AircraftB787 Dreamliner
RouteOslo to New York

Review by (United States) 13th June 2015

This airline has to be one of the worst organized companies. Their customer service was rude and not helpful. My wife planed to fly out on a friday and the day before they changed her flight to a no name airline in a very old aircraft. We changed the flight to the following Sunday and they just sent a text saying that the same thing was happening and her new airline had a fleet of 2 planes. When looking at airlines we took a careful look at the plane they would be flying in, they booked them on a Dreamliner and then tried to put them on a 20+ year old plane. Do not use this airline.
Cabin FlownFirst Class