Top 100 Airlines

Monarch Airlines

"experience is stressful "

Alicante to London Gatwick. From start to finish the Monarch experience is a stressful one. For weeks before you actually fly, you'll be bombarded with 'countdown ' emails inviting you to upgrade your seat, purchase insurance, etc. Once on board, the pitch of seats on the more elderly ex-GB Airways 321s is so ridiculous that the tray table cannot fully extend and you can't even reach down to pick up anything you might drop on the floor. Monarch do have seats with more generous legroom but these are sold off at £20 a pop once you're on the aircraft, so far that reason, even if your flight isn't entirely full, you're forbidden from changing seat. There is a constant push to shift alcohol, even on early morning flights, which results in a pretty rowdy cabin by landing- airlines which adopt this practice of encouraging drinking at altitude only have themselves to blame for cabin trouble, diversions, arrests, etc- but it makes for a pretty unpleasant atmosphere for other passengers. Monarch continued to send me emails throughout my holiday and after arriving back home but I've made up my mind guys; it'll be the first and last time I use Monarch unless you stop treating your flights like (extremely cramped) flying bars.
RouteALC to LGW
Date FlownMay 2016

"very aware of weight allowances"

(Spain)

Verified Review | I travel each month from my home in Spain regularly using Monarch, and I am au fait with Internet bookings. On this occasion I found myself forced to stay in England for an extended period, due to the illness of my elderly parents, and made an unusually large amount of purchases, so whilst booking I booked an extra case to accommodate them and allow me a worry-free passage through the airport. As a regular traveller, I am generally knowledgeable about some of the pitfalls of airline rules and regulations. By booking an extra bag, I believed I had plenty of space and even included my hand luggage into the 2 suitcases. Whilst packing for my flight on Saturday evening, I tried to call Monarch customer service number to clarify the exact packing amount, (I admit there was some doubt in my mind). However, the office was closed. I find it extraordinary, as it is a 7 day a week industry. I should have been able to ask that question, and have got a simple answer at 8pm on an evening prior to departure. I was very relieved when I printed my Boarding Pass to see clearly printed 2/20kg bags, which I took to mean 2 x 20kg bags. I did not expect it to be 1 x 20kg bag and 1 x empty bag (which of course has weight) or 2 x 10kg bags. I regard myself to be of fairly average intelligence and, in the absence of clarification, took the Boarding Pass to indicate I had successfully booked 2 x 20kg bags. After some research I believe this may be a perceived misconception by other travellers and although the ground-crew were very well versed in explaining that some people prefer 2 lighter weight bags, it would seem that this is a pit fallen into by other customers. I have just paid a £200 excess baggage charge for 20kg of luggage and just £165 for me (via my internet booking) and 20kg of luggage (plus of course an empty bag). I realise now that the weight of that bag was not allowed for! I contacted customer services and sent copies to the CEO and have been offered no reasonable response. Therefore I would warn all travellers - Be very aware of weight allowances and invest in your own weighing machine - not expensive but very useful! The staff all did their best, but "rules are rules". Needless to say, Monarch have lost a customer.
RouteLGW to AGP
Date FlownApril 2016

"leg room was appalling"

The leg room on this Monarch Airlines flight from Birmingham to Malaga was appalling. I am only 156cm tall and my knees were touching the seat in front. The passenger in front of me had to sit at an angle and push his seat back which gave me no room at all with absolutely no chance of using my tray! Luckily for my husband and I the seat by the window was free, so we used the tray in the middle because he couldn't use his tray either. Why should we have to pay extra for more leg room. I'm glad it was only a flight to Spain.
RouteBHX to AGP
Date FlownMarch 2016

"time to fit new seats"

Manchester to Tenerife return. On the outward flight the crew had to deal with a passenger falling ill after we had pushed back and were about to take off. The crew appeared to deal with this efficiently with good communication on what was happening. Eventually the passenger had to be taken off the plane and we continued the journey. The return journey was problem free. On both legs the cabin crew were excellent and all aspects of the flights were good apart from seats. When we have flown Monarch in the past we have booked extra legroom seats but on this occasion we were unable to do so because all those seats were taken when we made the booking. We were very surprised at how little legroom we had in the normal seats. To make matters worse the seat cushions were very worn out, we might as well have been sitting on the springs. So come on Monarch, time to fit new seats. We will be looking at the alternatives next time we fly.
RouteMAN to TFS
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"you pay for what you get"

Manchester to Fuertaventura with Monarch Airlines. We opted to buy extra legroom seats and were pleased that we did. On the outbound leg we were about 40 minutes late taking off which they blamed on need to de-ice the plane but in truth we did not start boarding until 10 minutes after departure time and this was slowed by a demand for some passengers to put their hand luggage in the hold. Due I think to items for the return flight being stored in the overhead lockers by the staff. Flight was good and arrived only just behind schedule. The return flight was smooth and arrived ahead of time. Monarch is very like a lot of other low cost airlines and you pay for what you get. A seat on the plane, anything else is extra and at £4 for a small can of lager, £1.80 for a can of pepsi max and £4.50 for a bacon panini plus hold luggage charges and so on can work out very expensive. The panini by the way was very hot, very dried out and tasteless. Staff were pleasant and professional throughout. A good airline compared to some low cost options.
RouteMAN to FUE
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"I was quite impressed"

Tenerife South to Birmingham, and had not flown with Monarch Airlines for some time, and I was quite impressed with the flight and the service. The flight was slightly delayed departing (technical problems), but expectations managed well by good communication on revised times and explanation from captain. Online check-in a few days before the flight and had baggage only, so we went straight to departures. TFS airport is a bit of a rip-off for refreshments (and certainly don't think of purchasing anything in the airport tax-free shops as they are far too expensive). We had paid for extra legroom seats at the front of the cabin, and there were just the two of us in our half of the row, so we were able to spread ourselves out with a free seat between us - rather like the old British Airways Club Europe. Well worth paying the extra for these seats and very pleased that Monarch continue to offer them. Nice friendly cabin crew, professional and welcoming. Good selection of refreshments, at usual airline prices. Comfortable, slimline seats. Good price paid for trip too. Will fly again.
RouteTSF to BHX
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"efficient, polite and friendly"

Rome to Luton return with Monarch Airlines. Outward and inward flights on time and arrived ahead of schedule. Despite a fairly full aircraft the cabin crew were efficient, polite and friendly. I ordered extra leg room seats and an inflight meal, which was of a good quality. I was most impressed by the way one stewardess managed a particularly difficult passenger who was quite rude and aggressive, and that efforts were made to juggle seating to allow a last minute couple to sit together. Monarch Airlines is every bit as good as it's larger contemporaries, just a bit friendlier!
RouteRome to Luton
Date FlownDecember 2015

"absolutely no communication"

Due to high winds in Manchester the plane diverted to East Midlands. We were to be bussed to Manchester. That seems to be as much as Monarch were going to be responsible for. No announcements were made once we got into the very depressing East Midlands airport. We stood around outside in dreadful weather waiting for buses. Absolutely no communication. OK the weather, no one to blame. But absolutely no excuse for the abysmal lack of communication. First flight with Monarch, don't anticipate a second. East Midlands airport was inundated with diverted planes because of the weather. They had an unenviable job.
RouteAlicante to Manchester
Date FlownNovember 2015

"give them the highest praise"

Sharm El Sheikh to Birmingham. Myself and my partner were caught up in the security situation in Egypt following the bombing of the Russian Aircraft. Monarch had my mobile number but, unfortunately my mobile decided that it would stop working in Egypt. My daughter (in the UK) had to contact them and give them an alternative number so that they could contact me regarding our flight home. I received a call on Saturday 14th November informing me that our flight home would be leaving the following day and that it would be to Birmingham and not Manchester. We were met at Sharm airport by a number of, polite and helpful Monarch Airways staff and were airborne almost on time. The Captain and crew were marvellous and the complimentary meal we were given on board was greatly appreciated. On arrival at Birmingham we were met, once again by a number of very understanding Monarch Airways staff who surprised us all by giving us a free bag containing a loaf, milk and a packet of biscuits. Whoever thought of this little gift should be complimented as, at almost midnight on a Sunday night, this was a very welcome gift. I can only give them the highest praise for the way that they looked after us.
RouteSSH to BHX
Date FlownNovember 2015

"not impressed at all"

Gatwick to Sharm el Sheikh with Monarch Airlines. Cabin crew worked hard, but dirty plane - dirty all round the seat and chewing gum in the seat pockets. When I told the cabin crew member she offered me baby wipes - what about moving me to a clean seat, or wasn't there a clean seat available? Not impressed at all. I paid more for this ticket than I did in May to travel to Dubai with Emirates who were outstanding even in economy.
RouteLGW to SSH