Monarch Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

I booked a flight to Skiathos with Monarch Airlines. It was not until my booking was confirmed (and therefore could not be cancelled) that it became apparent this was not a monarch aircraft, but a Lithuanian carrier called SMALL PLANET. Not content with the misleading information, the flight time (originally 0630 from Gatwick was changed firstly to a flight 5 hours later and then changed again less than 24 hors before the flight by a further 3 hours! The moral is to exercise caution and try to book a flight with a professional airline for the scheduled take off time.

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st May 2015

Travelled in May to Tenerife we were a group of 6 adults 2 toddlers and an infant. We upgraded to extra leg room and chose seats all close to each other. Monarch changed the aircraft a week or so before the trip and notified us that our seats had changed. We were still together so all fine. Before travelling I phoned Monarch and enquired about child car seats and if ok to use on board - I have a very active 2 year old who doesn't sit still for 5 minutes! At first the lady told me that my car seat wouldn't be allowed on because the only car seats that are allowed on monarch flights are very old styles. (She hadn't asked which seat I had) I told her that I wasn't sure this was correct so she checked online. The website states that car seats are allowed for all children under 3 years old. She then put a note on the computer to say we were bringing a car seat and which seat this would go in on the plane. Arriving at check in we were greeted by a lady who told us that car seats are not allowed to be used on Monarch flights. She phoned someone and then told us that actually they are allowed but because our aircraft had been changed again we would not be able to use it as we were now sitting on the left of the plane and car seats must go on the right. aWe said we would take it down to the gate and let them decide. Once down there a lovely lady checked for us and told us it was fine but the seat would have to go next to the window. Thank goodness we took the seat toddler slept all the way there and all the way home. Monarch staff in Tenerife much happier and helpful than the staff in England. Not even a smile from the no car seats lady. Monarch please inform all of your staff on the car seat rules when travelling (especially with children) it really is a pain when given wrong information which delays checking in/ boarding. Car seats are much safer for young children to travel in and must also make the attendants job easier as no toddlers wandering down the aisles getting in the way.

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th May 2015

26/4/15 1/5/15. LGW-SSH ZB248. SSH-LGW ZB249. Good flight LGW-SSH and return. Clean modern A321. Good comfy seat. Legroom ok. Crew nice.

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th April 2015

18th April Manchester to Verona and returned 25th April. Flight ZB1316 and ZB1317. Can't understand the bad reviews flew out of Manchester on time and landed early in Italy. Pleasant crew ground staff great booked extra leg room seats and being 6ft 3inches tall and not a small fella in size I was very surprised that the additional space was fantastic. No need to ask for a extension belt as the seat belts were more than big enough. New style seats are fine for short flights and very comfy indeed. Did not order food just a wee cup of tea to pass the time. Flight back left early and landed early all in all no complaints whatsoever.

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd April 2015

Overall very happy with the level of service efficiency and pricing. Modern plane was clean. Seats were comfortable for a 2-3 hours flight. Meal service was at the expected level for a budget operator. Flights operated on time and on board staff dealt with any issues promptly courteously and efficiently. The main negative issue was the "Luton Airport" experience. Won't comment on the rip off prices as Monarch have no control but check in was a very poor experience - only one desk open for those checked in online - (this compared to four desks at Faro for the return). Not what you want at 5.30 in the morning.

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th April 2015

21st March O/B - 28th March I/B - BHX to SSH. Both flights were great paid £15 each for extra leg room both ways and what a difference for a 5 hour flight it makes. Both Aircraft were clean and the crew friendly yet professional. Flight deck informative on both sectors and departed on time and arrived early both ways. Only gripe was the check-in at Sharm it was slow and chaotic. But other than that two great flights Monarch have my business again for the future they are way ahead than Thomas Cook and Thomson.

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th March 2015

Flew from AGP to MAN no problem at all left early arriving 25 min ahead of schedule. Flight deck very informative during flight cabin crew very professional. Overall better experience than the flight out with Ryanair in what felt like a shoebox even thought booked extra legroom seat. Would always use Monarch.

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th March 2015

This was the first and last time we will ever fly with Monarch. We have just arrived back from Hurgada - 'Gatwick'. The outbound flight on 13 March was fine only a few issues namely the severe lack of entertainment on board for a five hour flight and the ever changing price of an extra leg room seat which went from £30 online to £ £7 in the airport then back up to £15 on board. Our return flight was where the major issues started. Firstly the flight which took 5 hours on the way there was now going to take nearly 7 hours to return. We then sat on the tarmac for around 45 mins before finally taking off. After all of the waiting we then were told rather abruptly that the runway was closed at Gatwick and therefore we had to fly to Luton! We found it hilarious that all other flights managed to land at Gatwick with the 'runway closed' and also that Luton is Monarchs head quarters. We believe they had absolutely no intention of ever landing at Gatwick. Monarch staff were not present once we arrived as I imagine they simply couldn't be bothered to help us in any way. The handing agents Menzies were to organise the coaches. We were made to queue at a check in desk and told two coaches were ordered but that we would be taken to Gatwick on a first come first served basis! Bearing in mind there were 300 people on our flight. At no time were we given any vouchers or even a cup of water and we couldn't leave the queue as this may mean we would miss out on a place on the coach. When the coaches did arrive we had been waiting for over an hour and then had to tolerate the hour and a half coach trip to Gatwick. We were due to arrive at Gatwick at 9pm on Friday we actually arrived at 2am on Saturday. We have never experienced such a thing and we travel up to 7 times a year. We will stick to Norwegian Air and other reputable companies in the future.

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th March 2015

Just last week flew on Monarch from Gatwick to Sharm. Second time in two years flown with Monarch and generally impressed with standard. On return trip I would say the crew were a little too social sharing conversation with colleagues a bit too openly and snacking drinking during services before flight etc. On the whole would fly again unless a legacy carrier were to open up a route. Would guarantee my custom if they were to offer a wider seat or separate cabin for a premium.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th February 2015

I have just returned from Alicante airport with Monarch. I was a saga passenger in my sixties and needed a wheelchair. Normally we are allowed on first when there is more space and time to get seated with help. I was shocked last night when we had to wait till the end and then face no baggage space and a delay being seated. It was very difficult and painful as I had to wait in a queue on the plane. I will have to consider not booking with Monarch if this should happen again. I hope this was a one off. We had no problem flying out from Manchester. I think the lax attitude of some of the staff was the problem.