Monarch Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th July 2015

I booked my holiday last year and had the option of 2 flight times, 7am or 2.30pm, I wanted to go at 7am so chose this flight which bumped up the price quite considerably, a few months later Monarch cancelled this flight and put us on the 2.30pm flight, all they would refund me was £20 per person, a mere fraction of the difference paid to have the earlier flight. The week before flying, I had no confirmation of the priority check in I had booked online, it took several phone calls up until the day I was due to fly to sort this out. The flight was a bit late boarding but nothing major, I had pre-booked inflight meals, 2 adult and 2 child meals, they had us down for 4 adult meals and had no extra child meals to offer us, my children are fussy and the creamy chicken adult meal was no good to them, they were upset as they were excited to get their pasta and meatballs, the attitude of the cabin crew was not great, they eventually found a pasta dish but the children had to half it and they got about 6 pasta twists each, I ended up having to buy them additional food on board. The seats were too thin and uncomfortable after a couple of hours. The flight home was fantastic, couldn't have been a nicer experience, fantastic cabin crew, arrived back early.
RouteManchester to Tenerife

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th July 2015

Flight out was on time, return slightly delayed due to aborted landing on a windy day in Funchal. At least Monarch got the plane on the ground, on the same day EasyJet and SAS failed and returned to their home bases. Cabin crew out and in bound very good. Seats were fine for 3.5 hour flight, might be slightly less so on a longer flight, as Monarch have ceased long haul not a problem. However we did pay for extra legroom. Good flight deck info both ways. One slight niggle, ordered meal online both ways (very tasty for an aircraft meal). Sitting in Row 10 finished the meal before the drinks trolley arrived. Maybe you could order drinks online too and get served at same time. As an airline would rate them higher than other UK located budget airlines.
RouteGatwick to Funchal

Review by (United Kingdom) 7th July 2015

On time, lovely flight and crew very friendly on flight to Alicante on 20th June. Well done Monarch on your excellent service which started at check in through to our arrival in Spain. We were part of a group of 17 and they made the whole journey a breeze.
RouteManchester to Alicante

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th July 2015

We checked in at Alicante on the 30th June to be told our flight (plane) had changed due to unforseen circumstances, and would be given complimantry food and hot drinks. Whilst we found this not to be a problem (at the time, when we got on the plane it was a different matter, the space between each seat was tiny and we were put in seats 33 with my disabled sister, special needs daughter and elderly father. Trying to eat our food was a nightmare. I then asked for cold drinks (which I was more than happy to pay for) but was told there were no cold drinks available and was offered lukewarm water.
RouteAlicante to Manchester

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th July 2015

Regular users of Monarch. Outbound, good service by cabin crew and kept well informed by flight deck. 'Old Seats'. comfortable. Inbound very much the same, but the 'New Seats', not at all comfy. yes extra leg room, but actual comfort more important. As usual booed in flight meals both ways, and this summers meals are first class. Excellent Chicken dish on outbound, and really superb braised Beef dish on inbound, both meals with cheese and biscuits and dessert and hot drink. Excellent value for money.
RouteBHX to ACE

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th July 2015

Surly check in staff who turned slow service in to an art form, ripped off to the tune of 50 euros for 0.9kg over weight cabin bag (not offered the opportunity to remove some fruit etc), late boarding with no information from said surly ground staff, cabin crew who seemed to think they were doing us poor hapless passengers a favour by deigning to serve us. I'll spend the extra hundred quid next time and go with a proper airline.
AircraftAirbus 320
RouteRome to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th July 2015

Travelled from Manchester to Faro on the 30th June and returned on 5th July. Check in went smoothly-clerk was pleasant and efficient. Slight delay on the outbound due to a nervous passenger being offloaded. Once under way the cabin crew offered a high standard of service. Flight crew kept us informed and kept passengers up to date. Did not buy any food etc so can't comment on this section. No inflight entertainment but not a problem for 2.5 hour flight. Seats were the older type so were comfortable. Return flight left Faro late due to amount of flights but we landed 20 mins late. Cabin crew very nice. Short wait for luggage on return at Manchester.
RouteManchester to Faro

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

I booked a flight to Skiathos with Monarch Airlines. It was not until my booking was confirmed (and therefore could not be cancelled) that it became apparent this was not a monarch aircraft, but a Lithuanian carrier called SMALL PLANET. Not content with the misleading information, the flight time (originally 0630 from Gatwick was changed firstly to a flight 5 hours later and then changed again less than 24 hors before the flight by a further 3 hours! The moral is to exercise caution and try to book a flight with a professional airline for the scheduled take off time.

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st May 2015

Travelled in May to Tenerife we were a group of 6 adults 2 toddlers and an infant. We upgraded to extra leg room and chose seats all close to each other. Monarch changed the aircraft a week or so before the trip and notified us that our seats had changed. We were still together so all fine. Before travelling I phoned Monarch and enquired about child car seats and if ok to use on board - I have a very active 2 year old who doesn't sit still for 5 minutes! At first the lady told me that my car seat wouldn't be allowed on because the only car seats that are allowed on monarch flights are very old styles. (She hadn't asked which seat I had) I told her that I wasn't sure this was correct so she checked online. The website states that car seats are allowed for all children under 3 years old. She then put a note on the computer to say we were bringing a car seat and which seat this would go in on the plane. Arriving at check in we were greeted by a lady who told us that car seats are not allowed to be used on Monarch flights. She phoned someone and then told us that actually they are allowed but because our aircraft had been changed again we would not be able to use it as we were now sitting on the left of the plane and car seats must go on the right. aWe said we would take it down to the gate and let them decide. Once down there a lovely lady checked for us and told us it was fine but the seat would have to go next to the window. Thank goodness we took the seat toddler slept all the way there and all the way home. Monarch staff in Tenerife much happier and helpful than the staff in England. Not even a smile from the no car seats lady. Monarch please inform all of your staff on the car seat rules when travelling (especially with children) it really is a pain when given wrong information which delays checking in/ boarding. Car seats are much safer for young children to travel in and must also make the attendants job easier as no toddlers wandering down the aisles getting in the way.

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th May 2015

26/4/15 1/5/15. LGW-SSH ZB248. SSH-LGW ZB249. Good flight LGW-SSH and return. Clean modern A321. Good comfy seat. Legroom ok. Crew nice.