Monarch Airlines

"my flight had been cancelled"

Verified Review | Alicante to Manchester. I don't normally write reviews but the shocking service has left me no choice. The flight out to Alicante went without a hitch; it was only on my return flight that the nightmare unfolded. Arrived at the airport only to find out that my flight had been cancelled. I was ended a piece of paper by the Monarch Airlines representative and told to make my own arrangements and they would give me a full refund at a later date (that refund is just a little difficult to get hold of). No food vouchers, no aid in organising another flight /accommodation, no nothing. The piece of paper sent me to Swissport ticket sales who then sent me to Iberia. The only flight I could get back to Manchester was the next day. I had to organise my own accommodation for another night and fork out over 300 euros in total. To top it all off, I used a refund website to claim compensation and they have sent me an email saying Monarch Airlines have ignored my claim and they have to result to using legal action instead.
RouteAlicante to Manchester
Date FlownJune 2017

"service described as bordering on rude"

(Poland)

Verified Review | The flight was ok, the landing smooth but the service can be described as bordering on rude. One lady at airport in Porto (Oporto) (flight Porto-Luton) was simply rude, she saw I had two bags half empty already prepared for having one over my head and another in front of my seat. She not only made me put one bag into another before getting on the plane but she also told me off for that and changed the shape of the gate excluding me from the queue when I was at the very front. Also, on my way to Porto, I wanted to ask a flight attendent if I could order some hot food so she could put it in oven (it takes some time to prepare) and she answered in a rather rude way that they don't serve at that stage. However, the pilots were very nice. I'm not really sure why but I would still recommend the airline.
RouteLondon Luton to Porto
Date FlownJune 2017

"FA's were attentive and ever present"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch from Birmingham to Funchal. Good flights both ways FA's were attentive and ever present. Lots of leg room in the extra leg room seats which cost an additional £57 so not particularly cheap but I think worth it for a 4 hour flight. I'm not particularly tall but there was a good 6 inches between my knees and the seat in from to me. On the return leg arrived 25 minutes early shame it was Birmingham 20 minutes to find steps to disembark the aircraft.
RouteBirmingham to Funchal
Date FlownJune 2017

"not extra leg room at all"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch Airlines from Almeria to Manchester. Paid for extra leg room at the front of plane - when boarding we were told plane had changed and so our seats were not available, however they would still give us extra leg room in a different row - when got on the plane these were not extra leg room at all. Emailed Monarch about this only to get an automated response saying our payment for the extra leg room would be returned. No real apology or nothing. The comments I had made in the email therefore totally ignored.
RouteAlmeria to Manchester
Date FlownMay 2017

"cabin crew really helpful"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch from Alicante to Gatwick on the ZB265 on the 29th May 2017 on board A321 (G-ZBAK). Seated in row 1 seats were very comfortable and leg room generous. Cabin crew really helpful and also very cheerful. Flight left on time and also arrived promptly despite a missed approach initially into LGW. Overall a great flight experience and far more superior product to some of the other UK based low cost and charter airlines. My only criticism and something I was not happy with was that Monarch do not appear to apply a 2 crew rule in the cockpit at all times.
RouteAlicante to Gatwick
Date FlownMay 2017

"pleasantly surprised by the legroom"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch Airlines from Manchester to Porto. Pleasantly surprised. Booked an extra legroom seat outbound and was pleasantly surprised by the legroom. Inbound however was a standard seat and was tight to say the least (5'10" tall). I would certainly opt for extra legroom on future bookings. Service although buy on board was courteous and efficient and the food quality was actually fine. It puts the budget airline British Airways to shame. Being able to pay cash was a bonus. Outbound was running around an hour late and I received an email from Monarch whilst in the airport to say rescheduled which was a nice touch. Inbound was just as efficient and arrival in Manchester was on time. Overall I would book again providing the flight schedules are suitable.
RouteManchester to Porto
Date FlownMay 2017

"herded around like cattle"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Fuerteventura. Flight was delayed for nearly 4 hours, we were boarded onto an aircraft that had flown in with a known fault so we sat in our seats with technicians running around for 1.5 hours, we were then disembarked given a £5 voucher and sent back to departures. Another aircraft was flown in and we finally departed at about 18.00 hours - original departure time should have been 14.15, arrived at destination airport 22.00 getting to hotel at 23.00. I had spent nearly an hour on the phone at Birmingham ringing the transfer company and hotel with updates as departure times kept changing,. We paid for priority boarding, that didn't happen on boarding either planes (when I queried this one of the cabin crew I was told not to ask), we expected to arrive mid evening, relax have a nice meal and start our holiday, instead we arrived absolutely shattered and went straight to bed. There was a lack of information, we were herded around like cattle, we should never have been boarded onto an aircraft with a known fault.
RouteBirmingham to Fuerteventura
Date FlownMay 2017

"lack of legroom between the seats"

Unverified | My wife and I flew to Majorca on 10/5/17. Everything was fine as far as the flight was concerned, on time, very courteous and professional cabin crew. My main gripe is the lack of legroom between the seats. I am six feet tall and weigh just over 19 stone. I could not fold the food and drinks tray fully down and had to put my coffee on my wife's tray. My knees were pressed up against the back of the seat in front. I didn't see why I should have to pay for extra leg room, I have flown several times with other airlines and have never had problems in that respect. On arrival at Palma there was no Rep to greet us and show which bus to get to our hotel. Eventually we got a Jet2 rep to show us where the Monarch desk was to find out the number of our bus. At no time did any correspondence from Monarch (or indeed Thomas Cook, our original booking agents, who placed us with Monarch) give any instructions about procedure upon arrival at the airport. I feel that this is an area that needs attention, I feel that Thomas Cook took our holiday booking, placed us with Monarch, and then washed their hands of us and took no further part in our holiday, the same applies to Monarch.
RouteManchester to Palma
Date FlownMay 2017

"never use this airline again"

Verified Review | Faro to Gatwick. I regularly use Monarch Airline for short trips and family holidays.i have always been satisfied with the Customer Service and inflight staff. I have recommended Monarch to family and friends who tend to book through this airline. 2 weeks ago I travelled to (Portugal) Faro airport from London Gatwick. I was due to stay for a few month and book my return thereafter. However due to an immediate exceptional change in circumstances I had to book an earlier flight back o the UK. I didn't need to take my luggage with me just a small piece of hand luggage. I booked on line and accidentally clicked the 23k check in luggage. I rang Monarch to explain, however the customer services adviser was quite dismissive as well as abrupt she advised me Monarch can add extra baggage but if something has been done in error or there are exceptional circumstances they cannot refund or change. I emailed Monarch and received an email reply from customer services reiterating the information i had been given over the phone, 'sorry' for the staff member i spoke to and added it will be looked into. No further comments were made except I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I emailed again and explained that I was not satisfied with the response. I explained that I will be returning to Portugal in 2 weeks and would like to book with Monarch again as I always do and in addition to this I have 5 of my family members travelling a few weeks after who would also like to book with Monarch. I received a reply 5 days later advising me that Monarch is a non refundable airline this applies to all fare and extras you wish to add regardless of exceptional circumstances. There was no mention or the fact that they will lose the custom of 6 regular members of my family (including me) who have been loyal customers over a number of years to Monarch. Monarch can take your money additional baggage allowances etc after checking in but due to exceptional circumstances they cannot make a simple decision to keep loyal customers. They said I should have read the terms and conditions prior to booking however under such circumstances you don"t. I do think at times common sense must prevail - however if your making as much money as Monarch do why would the loss of 5 regular customers matter. I will never use this airline again.
RouteFaro to Gatwick
Date FlownMay 2017

"flight was actually very pleasant"

Verified Review | I haven't flown with Monarch for a number of years as I don't tend to travel on package holidays, however, on a recent trip to Rome the airline offered a return ticket price which was substantially cheaper than any competetors which scheduled flight times which were perfect for a short city break (early morning outbound, late evening inbound). The booking process was painless. Their website is easy to navigate and displays fully what you are getting for your fare at every opportunity. After initial booking I opted to download the Monarch app to try and stick to my mantra of being a 21st century traveller (eTix, mobile boarding pass etc). I was slightly disappointed that the app encouraged you to check in early and then made it appear that you could not proceed with booking until you had purchased a seat as I feel that this could mislead many families, particularly those that aren't very tech savvy, however, I understand that this is how low cost airlines operate and therefore I'll put that issue to bed. On arrival at BHX I was disappointed at how the check in desks were organised and operated. My wife had 1x item of hold luggage that she had declared at online check in, however, we still had to wait in the mammoth 6am queue with those that had not yet checked in something that I feel could easily be rectified with a bag drop only desk or 2. Following check in we proceeded through security to airside departures. One thing I was quite surprised by was how early the airline called 'Last Call'. We were directed to the boarding area some 50 minutes before departure and then had to wait in said area or in our allocated seat. What added further insult was the delay we then experienced. With no direction from the cabin crew or flight deck we experienced a 20 minute doors closed delay. Alas, we eventually got on our way and despite everything else I have said in this review so far the flight was actually very pleasant. Leg room is at a premium - something I am not particularly bothered by as this is what you expect with low cost short haul. The seats were comfortable with sufficient recline, the pitch of the recline was such that it didn't chop the knees of the passenger behind which is commendable. Following departure the flight deck crew were informative and managed to recoup some of the time we lost on departure. The cabin crew were pleasant and friendly. They did 1x drinks/food service and 1x duty free service which is more than sufficient for 2 hours. The inflight menu was quite pricey, I only had a non premium gin and tonic, however this still came to 8€, expensive compared to land prices! The meal deal, however, offers good value for money and shouldn't be frowned at. Overall the journey was smooth with a perfectly executed landing. Although the A321 we flew on was ageing (c2007) you still had more comfort and opportunity for a nap than most other low cost airlines I have travelled with. Without the ground issues this would have been a good journey overall.
RouteBirmingham to Rome FCO