Monarch Airlines

"not be flying this airline again"

Verified Review | Las Palmas to Gatwick. The app doesn't allow for paperless tickets, they tell you to print them! What age are we in? They then charged €36 for an extra leg room seat and finally I paid €72 for two seats and the airline insisted under its t+c's that I use their exchange rate, and then stated 'customer chose to accept' the exchange rate. Daylight robbery, disingenuous and unacceptable. I will not be flying this airline again.
RouteLas Palmas to Gatwick
Date FlownAugust 2017

"they get the basics right"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Lanzarote. Short queue at Gatwick check-in, staff were polite. Boarding process fine. Plenty of overhead locker space as flight not full. Departed about 20-30 mins late as 1 passenger failed to board and bags had to be found and removed from aircraft. Announcements from front of cabin and cockpit were clear. Announcements from rear of cabin totally unintelligible. Announcements in english only. Smooth flight. Cabin crew professional. No attempt at interaction with customers unless you wanted to buy something. Typical uncomfortable, hard, non-adjustable seats. Leg room was OK for a 1m 75cm adult. Clean aircraft. Clean, well stocked toilet when I used it. No bells and whistles but they get the basics right for the price paid. Would use again.
RouteGatwick to Lanzarote
Date FlownJuly 2017

"my flight had been cancelled"

Verified Review | Alicante to Manchester. I don't normally write reviews but the shocking service has left me no choice. The flight out to Alicante went without a hitch; it was only on my return flight that the nightmare unfolded. Arrived at the airport only to find out that my flight had been cancelled. I was ended a piece of paper by the Monarch Airlines representative and told to make my own arrangements and they would give me a full refund at a later date (that refund is just a little difficult to get hold of). No food vouchers, no aid in organising another flight /accommodation, no nothing. The piece of paper sent me to Swissport ticket sales who then sent me to Iberia. The only flight I could get back to Manchester was the next day. I had to organise my own accommodation for another night and fork out over 300 euros in total. To top it all off, I used a refund website to claim compensation and they have sent me an email saying Monarch Airlines have ignored my claim and they have to result to using legal action instead.
RouteAlicante to Manchester
Date FlownJune 2017

"service described as bordering on rude"

(Poland)

Verified Review | The flight was ok, the landing smooth but the service can be described as bordering on rude. One lady at airport in Porto (Oporto) (flight Porto-Luton) was simply rude, she saw I had two bags half empty already prepared for having one over my head and another in front of my seat. She not only made me put one bag into another before getting on the plane but she also told me off for that and changed the shape of the gate excluding me from the queue when I was at the very front. Also, on my way to Porto, I wanted to ask a flight attendent if I could order some hot food so she could put it in oven (it takes some time to prepare) and she answered in a rather rude way that they don't serve at that stage. However, the pilots were very nice. I'm not really sure why but I would still recommend the airline.
RouteLondon Luton to Porto
Date FlownJune 2017

"FA's were attentive and ever present"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch from Birmingham to Funchal. Good flights both ways FA's were attentive and ever present. Lots of leg room in the extra leg room seats which cost an additional £57 so not particularly cheap but I think worth it for a 4 hour flight. I'm not particularly tall but there was a good 6 inches between my knees and the seat in from to me. On the return leg arrived 25 minutes early shame it was Birmingham 20 minutes to find steps to disembark the aircraft.
RouteBirmingham to Funchal
Date FlownJune 2017

"not extra leg room at all"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch Airlines from Almeria to Manchester. Paid for extra leg room at the front of plane - when boarding we were told plane had changed and so our seats were not available, however they would still give us extra leg room in a different row - when got on the plane these were not extra leg room at all. Emailed Monarch about this only to get an automated response saying our payment for the extra leg room would be returned. No real apology or nothing. The comments I had made in the email therefore totally ignored.
RouteAlmeria to Manchester
Date FlownMay 2017

"cabin crew really helpful"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch from Alicante to Gatwick on the ZB265 on the 29th May 2017 on board A321 (G-ZBAK). Seated in row 1 seats were very comfortable and leg room generous. Cabin crew really helpful and also very cheerful. Flight left on time and also arrived promptly despite a missed approach initially into LGW. Overall a great flight experience and far more superior product to some of the other UK based low cost and charter airlines. My only criticism and something I was not happy with was that Monarch do not appear to apply a 2 crew rule in the cockpit at all times.
RouteAlicante to Gatwick
Date FlownMay 2017

"pleasantly surprised by the legroom"

Verified Review | Flew Monarch Airlines from Manchester to Porto. Pleasantly surprised. Booked an extra legroom seat outbound and was pleasantly surprised by the legroom. Inbound however was a standard seat and was tight to say the least (5'10" tall). I would certainly opt for extra legroom on future bookings. Service although buy on board was courteous and efficient and the food quality was actually fine. It puts the budget airline British Airways to shame. Being able to pay cash was a bonus. Outbound was running around an hour late and I received an email from Monarch whilst in the airport to say rescheduled which was a nice touch. Inbound was just as efficient and arrival in Manchester was on time. Overall I would book again providing the flight schedules are suitable.
RouteManchester to Porto
Date FlownMay 2017

"herded around like cattle"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Fuerteventura. Flight was delayed for nearly 4 hours, we were boarded onto an aircraft that had flown in with a known fault so we sat in our seats with technicians running around for 1.5 hours, we were then disembarked given a £5 voucher and sent back to departures. Another aircraft was flown in and we finally departed at about 18.00 hours - original departure time should have been 14.15, arrived at destination airport 22.00 getting to hotel at 23.00. I had spent nearly an hour on the phone at Birmingham ringing the transfer company and hotel with updates as departure times kept changing,. We paid for priority boarding, that didn't happen on boarding either planes (when I queried this one of the cabin crew I was told not to ask), we expected to arrive mid evening, relax have a nice meal and start our holiday, instead we arrived absolutely shattered and went straight to bed. There was a lack of information, we were herded around like cattle, we should never have been boarded onto an aircraft with a known fault.
RouteBirmingham to Fuerteventura
Date FlownMay 2017

"lack of legroom between the seats"

Unverified | My wife and I flew to Majorca on 10/5/17. Everything was fine as far as the flight was concerned, on time, very courteous and professional cabin crew. My main gripe is the lack of legroom between the seats. I am six feet tall and weigh just over 19 stone. I could not fold the food and drinks tray fully down and had to put my coffee on my wife's tray. My knees were pressed up against the back of the seat in front. I didn't see why I should have to pay for extra leg room, I have flown several times with other airlines and have never had problems in that respect. On arrival at Palma there was no Rep to greet us and show which bus to get to our hotel. Eventually we got a Jet2 rep to show us where the Monarch desk was to find out the number of our bus. At no time did any correspondence from Monarch (or indeed Thomas Cook, our original booking agents, who placed us with Monarch) give any instructions about procedure upon arrival at the airport. I feel that this is an area that needs attention, I feel that Thomas Cook took our holiday booking, placed us with Monarch, and then washed their hands of us and took no further part in our holiday, the same applies to Monarch.
RouteManchester to Palma