Top 100 Airports

Meridiana

"flight attendants were very accommodating"

Verified Review | Flew Meridiana from London to Olbia. Flight departed on time, arrived a bit earlier than scheduled, the flight was uneventful, got a snack and a smile. The trip back was even better, MD-82 - spacious, quiet airplane, I wish they did them like this now. Pilots made good announcements, flight attendants were very accommodating. Aircraft was old but very clean.
RouteLGW to OLB
Date FlownJuly 2016

"never use this airline again"

Verified Review | JFK New York to Naples, Italy return, operated by Air Italy. Let's start with our departure from JFK. No online check in available. I sent an email, no response. I called in, and a woman said I had to check in at the airport. At JFK, Meridiana had one little line and no signs to help travelers. We paid for the extra comfort seating and the guy told us we didn't have to pay for the extra bag we brought. That was nice, as we hadn't anticipated that. He told us it was because we paid for the extra comfort seat. Now here's the sketchy part, we go to find our gate. Yellow paper signs were hung up with our flight info on it, but other than that nothing. We didn't actually HAVE a gate. None of the attendants in the airport knew anything about where we're supposed to go. OUR flight was scheduled to depart at 7pm, and we were supposed to board at 6:45. We didn't board until 9:45. No one told us anything. We weren't given any reason, despite the fact that the plane was sitting outside in our view. The plane was a was a rickety old thing from the 90s. No televisions (they had the large general ones and they were cloudy so you couldn't see them), seats were small. Staff was reasonably accommodating, but they rarely brought something to drink, they were catering mostly to those in business. We had one disgusting meal. That flight left 3.5 hours late and landed in Naples. For our return, I wanted to try to upgrade to business. I sent an email asking - no response. I sent an email in Italian (luckily I'm fluent), and interestingly enough I got a response. No availability. So coming back, we had so much fun! Turns out we did have to pay for that extra bag, 90 euros, despite the extra comfort seats, and they wouldn't let us take our carry on bags, we had to check those as well. This wasn't even because they were overweight - the woman in Naples insisted they be checked. Once again, sketchy Meridiana had paper signs hanging up for their "special" line for security in the Naples airport. The gate changed three times. We had B10 written on our tickets, I walked a few feet looked up and it changed to B12, got to B12 and there was another passport control. I told the woman it kept changing and she said "no it didn't," and I told her the flight and she said, "oh yes it did." I understand that that's not the airline's fault, but one thing after another. Coming back to JFK, we left about a half hour late, which is not bad. Again, the flight was very uncomfortable. Staff wasn't that great. Bottom line - you get what you pay for. If you want to fly direct from JFK to Naples, it may be worth it. I will personally never use this airline again.
RouteJFK to NAP
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight was uneventful"

Verified Review | We flew from London Gatwick to Olbia Sardinia with Meridiana. The booking was a nightmare, the online computer kept crashing and requesting me to try again. After numerous failed attempts I rang the call centre for help, all they could do was to instruct me to try booking two single tickets, surprise surprise this too failed, a whole day wasted and nothing to show for it. The following day an instinct made me ring my credit card and was horrified to find that two payments had been taken from my account by Meridiana yet no tickets provided. To cut a long story short a total of 7 emails largely unanswered and 4 phone calls totaling 67 minutes at a cost of £37 I eventually got my tickets but no refund. Fortunately the credit card company were on the ball and credited the money owing. This call centre is beyond useless I am dreaming that they may actually refund my phone bill. Having received my eticket the online check in was okay albeit in Italian but there was no indication that the operation was sucessful. Boarding passes arrived the next day by email but were torn up on arrival at Gatwick, how odd, standard tickets issued. The check in was amazing for Gatwick, so quiet, no queues and unhurried, we seemed almost to be the only passengers. The staff were friendly and we had plenty of time to stroll to the gate once announced, boarding was delayed resulting in a 30 minute late take off. The aircraft a Boeing 737-300 was around 20 years old but it was fine, a capacity of around 120 is much lower than the regular 737's, with less than 100 passengers the whole process through the airport was unhurried. The flight was uneventful but we were given a roll and drink, most unexpected these days. My seat itself was comfortable but at 6' 3" I did find my knees digging into the seat in front, not so good. There were two empty rows of emergency seats behind me but perversly was not allowed to sit there without paying extra. A thought crossed my mind, I have flown in these seats many times with other airlines and I have always been instructed to familiarise myself with the proceedure of opening the emergency exit in case of an emergency. Maybe Meridiana are operating within airline regulations but with no one sitting next to the exit with knowledge, how long would it take for somebody to reach the exit, read and understand the instructions then execute during panic and possible darkness? A disaster waiting to happen. The departure from Olbia was equally quiet and laid back and the flight to Gatwick uneventful.
RouteLGW to OLB
Date FlownJune 2016

"might be cheaper but it's not worth it"

We had a 1.20 flight booked from Venice to Olbia with Meridiana. Flight was delayed for 2hrs then at 3pm cancelled. At no stage was any explaination provided for the cancellation. There was 1 staff member for the whole flight trying to sort out who got on another flight from Bologna (65 places) and we didn't mange to push our way to front of queue to get on. We had to pay for a whole new flight with Volotea as there was no way out of Venice otherwise. Getting our luggage back was an absolute nightmare and took 2 hrs. We finally landed in Sardinia 8 hours after our expected arrival and 900Euro poorer. Absolutely disgraceful and will never use them again. and have no idea of how to get our money back from cancelled flight. Don't fly with Meridiana. It might be cheaper but it's not worth it
RouteVCE to OLB
Date FlownJune 2016

"no help was offered whatsoever"

We were delayed 8 hours. During our wait we had no information whatsoever (even the Airline Information desk were devoid of info from the Airline). After 8 hours waiting we were suddenly told to go to the Gate and that it would be closing in 6 minutes. Panic ensued. The Gate was at least a 10 minute walk (run!) away. We are in our late 60's and not as nimble as some - no help was offered whatsoever. Then after this awful panic we were kept waiting for nearly half an hour at the gate. All crammed in and as we were slower than the rest of the passengers, we had nowhere to sit. We had a taxi booked to meet us at Naples and had considerable difficulty and expense arranging the cancelling of this and giving the taxi firm the estimated time that we would be landing in Naples. Eventually we landed at 11.15 pm and then arrived in Sorrento and checked in to our Hotel at 12.15 am the following morning. After this complete travesty we attempted to claim compensation for the 8 hour delay ordeal. This is now proving difficult. Meridiana is unbelievable and, believe me, I wouldn't touch them.
RouteLGW to NAP

"encountered no problems"

Verified Review | I flew with my husband and three year old daughter from New JFK to Palermo direct round trip. We encountered no problems on either leg. Now, we may have been lucky (I don't know) but flights left on time and arrived on time. Check in was very easy at both airports. Luggage was promptly received and cabin crew kind and courteous. What I want to explain to travelers is that you cannot expect top-notch luxury service from them while onboard. Let's be realistic. A ticket from JFK to PMO direct cost me $800/pp whereas Delta/Alitalia wanted $1,500 to connect in between. Traveling with a small child, I was more than happy to have the direct flight at half the cost. It is a no-frills plane. I asked for milk and there was none. The plane is old but we had no problems. There was one TV going to PMO (like flying in the "old days") where you had to watch what was playing. On the return, there was no TV at all. 9.5 hours without entertainment makes for a long flight. The seats in coach are uncomfortable. Narrow and small so if you are not prepared to deal with that, this is not the airline for you. Food was mediocre. No alcohol, wine only served with the meal and you got a light snack before landing. All in all - this airline is good if you can accept no-frills flying. The beauty is that you get to Palermo direct and at half the cost of the larger carriers. Would I fly them again? Probably if the price is right.
RouteJFK to PMO

"no clear directions"

Verified Review | Flew Naples to London Gatwick with Meridiana. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. However, the pilot aborted the flight after two attempts to take off, saying that a problem was signalled. We had to leave the plane and wait in the airport for 7+ hours. We were given a ticket for lunch in the "Meridiana cafe" which does not exist. All the staff at the other restaurants were unfriendly when asked if we could use our ticket. There were no clear directions. All passengers were milling around looking for the café, being directed up and down, most carrying hand luggage, some elderly. Finally, a waitress at one café directed us to a Brioche bar next to where she worked where we were abruptly given a bagette and drink. The plane seemed old. The seat in front of mine was slightly twisted to that the back would not go upright. The flight was cheap but I am not sure that I would risk flying Meridiana again.
RouteNAP to LGW

"courteous and helpful"

(Italy)

Verified Review | I travel almost monthly from Milano to Munich and I appreciate the service and punctuality of the Meridiana flight. The flight is convenient as it leaves in mid afternoon from Linate, the city airport, and it is always on time also on the return from Munich. Flight assistants are courteous and helpful. Only drawback is that in Milano the plane does not disembark to a finger but uses a bus shuttle. I imagine that this is done to save money as fingers are more expensive. At least this usually translates into cheap fares compared to aother travel options as car or train. As it is not a low-cost carrier Meridiana has the advantage of the possibilty to check-in at the airport at no extra cost.
RouteMXP to MUC
Date FlownMay 2016

"every second is horrible"

New York to Naples with Meridiana. Every second of the process, from booking the ticket online until the plane lands was horrible. Bad customer service, old planes and zero organization. If it weren't for their direct flight from NY to Naples, I would not use this airline. In the future, I will be glady connecting through anywhere instead of flying direct with Meridiana.
RouteJFK to NAP
Date FlownMay 2016

"my emails were returned!"

Verified Review | Prior to the booking I called to Meridiana 2 times to confirm that my flight from Milan to Sharm el Sheik return in April 2016 will not be cancelled. So I booked and in addition I booked 2 connection flights from the UK and the hotel in Italy for my family of 4. Three weeks before flight my flight to Egypt was cancelled so we lost around 200GBP in booked flights plus the alternative route was 200GBP more! I contacted Meridiana many times by emails and calls requesting to get a compensation, but my emails were returned! Very disappointed!
RouteMXP to SSH