Middle East Airlines

"flight itself was pretty pleasant"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Shortly after the booking and within 24 hours we realized that the first name of one of the passengers was mis-spelled due to the phonetics of the Greek language (Ekaterini was typed instead of Aikaterini). We contacted the airline both in our local office and in Beirut in order to correct this and we were treated as we did a crime. We were asked to pay more than 100€, otherwise the passenger would be denied boarding - the ticket itself cost 156€ return. Reading relevant reviews we decided to risk it and travel with the name as it was and there was absolutely no problem. The flight itself was pretty pleasant, punctual, nice relaxed feeling of the staff, food was provided with metal utensils, in-flight entertainment for such a short flight (1h40min), luggage provided, check in at the counter for free, for a very reasonable price. Business class had proper business seating, which is not common at an A320. They maintain the style and comfort of traditional full service.
RouteAthens to Beirut
Date FlownApril 2018

"flight was actually very good"

(Lebanon)

Trip Verified | The flight was actually very good. There was a satisfying entertainment service with a good number of movies for a three hour flight, very good quality of food, comfy economy seats, and well trained inflight staff. The flight was very smooth and comfortable and we actually arrived earlier than the scheduled time though departure was delayed for around 15 min. I would recommend better trained ground staff.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBeirut to Dubai

"I cannot recommend MEA"

Trip Verified | Beirut to London. During Check in I was informed by 2 ladies on the check in counter that I am not allowed to travel to London as LHR airport will close from 10 pm to 5 Am in the morning and I have to leave the airport. I explained to them that I have asked before I booked the ticket and I was told that I do not have to have transit visa as I will be in transit area and do not leave the airport. The two ladies on the check in were so rude and treated me very inappropriately, they yelled at me that I didn't book my ticket through agency and said you can't travel, you have to go through another airline. I went back to see MEA office to see if I can book to Paris and unfortunately the people in the booking office had no clue again if I need a visa or not. they wanted me to go upstairs to control office to ask. I find it very strange that the employers in MEA do not know the rules and they couldn't ask the control office by the phone instead letting the client go through another security check to go upstairs. After I checked several airlines in the airport and after paying for another ticket I was told that I can travel and it should be no problem. The females in MEA check in area didn't apologize in fact they acted very rude when I came back " saying we do not want to hear your story" we already knew it. I cannot recommend MEA to any one based on my experience. I feel MEA employees lack respect, knowledge and hopefully educating and training them will help MEA services in the future.
RouteBeirut to London
Date FlownMarch 2018

"didn't reach the gate on time"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Beirut. I had a very bad experience with Middle East Airlines recently. I made a booking for my mother (71 years old) with MEA, flight ME0427 from Dubai to Beirut on March 13, 2018, departure time was at 1:30 pm. My mother lost the gate after she checked out and finished all her travelling procedures and she didn't reach the gate on time. The flight take off at 1:35 after they removed her baggage from the plane and without announcing or calling for her name. I received a call from them (as I put my number as a reference) they only informed me that they canceled her name from the passengers’ list. She waited around 11 hours in the airport for the other flight.
RouteDubai to Beirut
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Very unimpressed with MEA"

Trip Verified | Beirut to London return. I was surprised on both occasions that they didn’t ask passengers with babies to come forward to get on the plane first or after business passengers as I had experienced when travelling with other airlines. I asked the MEA staff in London about this. She said that MEA don’t have a policy of prioritising travellers with babies as they feel that travellers with babies will spend a long time faffing around with their luggage up and taking things out for the baby and will hold up other passengers trying to get on the plane. In Beirut when I asked the MEA representative why he didn’t prioritise traveller’s with babies he smiled and replied: ‘welcome to Lebanon.’ Very unimpressed with MEA.
RouteBeirut to London
Date FlownDecember 2017

"made our vacation a miserable event"

Trip Verified | We traveled from Geneva to Beirut, AC6524 (operated by MEA). We checked in 3 pieces of luggage in Halifax. Only one arrived in Beirut. After almost one hour of staying in the line, we were told by the agent at the MEA desk that the other two would arrive the day after (Dec 12). We went to the airport on Dec 13 (one day after the date that was given to us). We were told that the two pieces of luggage had not arrived and we needed to come back on Dec 14, which we did. After almost 2.5 days, one had come and one was still missing. We had to travel to Cairo, so asked the agent at the MEA desk to send the third luggage to Cairo. We called the MEA office in Cairo on Dec 18th (one week after arrival to Beirut), and were told that the luggage is in Frankfort! I do not know when (if) we will get our luggage. The delays in receiving the luggage has made our vacation a miserable event.
RouteHalifax to Beirut via Montreal-Geneva
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I was quite impressed"

Trip Verified | Beirut to Abu Dhabi. I flew Middle East Airlines as part of a code share flight with Etihad and I was quite impressed. Boarding was quick and easy and the cabin was clean and modern, the crew greeting you as you walk in with a smile. I got to my seat on 36C and I was so surprised on how much space there was. The flight left on time and watched the very creative safety video and read their Magazine. They offered headphones and food menus and dinner was served shortly after. Lots of good movies and TV shows to choose from. I would fly with MEA again next time flying from Beirut Airport.
RouteBeirut to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"An expensive, low-cost Carrier"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | An expensive, low-cost Carrier. I've been flying in and out of Riyadh/Jeddah non stop on a weekly/biweekly basis for more than 8 years now. I believe I can fairly and precisely evaluate Middle East Airlines. 1) Flights departing from Riyadh/Jeddah are almost always late. I can recall a few times when flights took off as planned, but those were rare events. Such disorder does not serve business and frequent flyers well. 2) Seating comfort is abysmal! MEA seats used to cause me lower back pains until I started stuffing extra cushions underneath me. I have recently learnt that many other travelers share my pain. 3) Prices are exorbitant for a 2.15-2.20 hr flight time. I am aware that this track is their cash cow, but do they have to go and drain the milk dry? 4) Compared to many other respectable airlines I have flown, their movie count and the rate by which they bring in new movies are both on the low side. Good thing my Ipad is here to support. 5) Commercials, Commercials, Commercials, televised commercials they make you watch. Its not enough that they rip you off, they also make you suffer going over the same commercials every time. Not cool! Finally, you might be asking why not change airlines. The answer is simple: Convenience and Duration. MEA and another airliner are the only two with non-stop flights to Beirut. MEA having the lesser flight duration and most convenient outbound and inbound timing for business travelers. I hope that more airlines service this route just to topple MEA's monopoly and drive it to improve its services and lower its prices.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBeirut to Riyadh
Date FlownNovember 2017

"one of the worst airlines ever flown"

Verified Review | Beirut to Cairo. MEA has to be one of the worst airlines I have ever flown. BEY-CAI-BEY and saw 10 cabin crew over two flights and only saw one of them smile. Flights departed and arrived on time and the cabin crew worked extremely hard both sectors with a full meal service, tea and coffee and duty free but they were surly and abrupt. Flights smooth but the aircraft were old and worn out. We were put on MEA due to Qatar Airways no longer flying to Egypt and the difference between the two carriers was highly evident. The ground staff, however, were the friendliest and most professional I think I've ever come across, both in Beirut and Cairo. Bags were transferred to and from our connecting flights to Melbourne without a hitch which was excellent.
RouteBeirut to Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2017

"If you want Lebanese hospitality"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | Beirut to Abu Dhabi. The food out of Beirut in economy is delicious and good quality but out of Abu Dhabi it is not good at all. The crew good are well presented and friendly. Seat comfort needs to be updated they are not very comfortable at all. If you want Lebanese hospitality in the air this is the airline to fly.
RouteBeirut to Abu Dhabi