Middle East Airlines

"Very unimpressed with MEA"

Trip Verified | Beirut to London return. I was surprised on both occasions that they didn’t ask passengers with babies to come forward to get on the plane first or after business passengers as I had experienced when travelling with other airlines. I asked the MEA staff in London about this. She said that MEA don’t have a policy of prioritising travellers with babies as they feel that travellers with babies will spend a long time faffing around with their luggage up and taking things out for the baby and will hold up other passengers trying to get on the plane. In Beirut when I asked the MEA representative why he didn’t prioritise traveller’s with babies he smiled and replied: ‘welcome to Lebanon.’ Very unimpressed with MEA.
RouteBeirut to London
Date FlownDecember 2017

"made our vacation a miserable event"

Trip Verified | We traveled from Geneva to Beirut, AC6524 (operated by MEA). We checked in 3 pieces of luggage in Halifax. Only one arrived in Beirut. After almost one hour of staying in the line, we were told by the agent at the MEA desk that the other two would arrive the day after (Dec 12). We went to the airport on Dec 13 (one day after the date that was given to us). We were told that the two pieces of luggage had not arrived and we needed to come back on Dec 14, which we did. After almost 2.5 days, one had come and one was still missing. We had to travel to Cairo, so asked the agent at the MEA desk to send the third luggage to Cairo. We called the MEA office in Cairo on Dec 18th (one week after arrival to Beirut), and were told that the luggage is in Frankfort! I do not know when (if) we will get our luggage. The delays in receiving the luggage has made our vacation a miserable event.
RouteHalifax to Beirut via Montreal-Geneva
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I was quite impressed"

Trip Verified | Beirut to Abu Dhabi. I flew Middle East Airlines as part of a code share flight with Etihad and I was quite impressed. Boarding was quick and easy and the cabin was clean and modern, the crew greeting you as you walk in with a smile. I got to my seat on 36C and I was so surprised on how much space there was. The flight left on time and watched the very creative safety video and read their Magazine. They offered headphones and food menus and dinner was served shortly after. Lots of good movies and TV shows to choose from. I would fly with MEA again next time flying from Beirut Airport.
RouteBeirut to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"An expensive, low-cost Carrier"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | An expensive, low-cost Carrier. I've been flying in and out of Riyadh/Jeddah non stop on a weekly/biweekly basis for more than 8 years now. I believe I can fairly and precisely evaluate Middle East Airlines. 1) Flights departing from Riyadh/Jeddah are almost always late. I can recall a few times when flights took off as planned, but those were rare events. Such disorder does not serve business and frequent flyers well. 2) Seating comfort is abysmal! MEA seats used to cause me lower back pains until I started stuffing extra cushions underneath me. I have recently learnt that many other travelers share my pain. 3) Prices are exorbitant for a 2.15-2.20 hr flight time. I am aware that this track is their cash cow, but do they have to go and drain the milk dry? 4) Compared to many other respectable airlines I have flown, their movie count and the rate by which they bring in new movies are both on the low side. Good thing my Ipad is here to support. 5) Commercials, Commercials, Commercials, televised commercials they make you watch. Its not enough that they rip you off, they also make you suffer going over the same commercials every time. Not cool! Finally, you might be asking why not change airlines. The answer is simple: Convenience and Duration. MEA and another airliner are the only two with non-stop flights to Beirut. MEA having the lesser flight duration and most convenient outbound and inbound timing for business travelers. I hope that more airlines service this route just to topple MEA's monopoly and drive it to improve its services and lower its prices.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBeirut to Riyadh
Date FlownNovember 2017

"one of the worst airlines ever flown"

Verified Review | Beirut to Cairo. MEA has to be one of the worst airlines I have ever flown. BEY-CAI-BEY and saw 10 cabin crew over two flights and only saw one of them smile. Flights departed and arrived on time and the cabin crew worked extremely hard both sectors with a full meal service, tea and coffee and duty free but they were surly and abrupt. Flights smooth but the aircraft were old and worn out. We were put on MEA due to Qatar Airways no longer flying to Egypt and the difference between the two carriers was highly evident. The ground staff, however, were the friendliest and most professional I think I've ever come across, both in Beirut and Cairo. Bags were transferred to and from our connecting flights to Melbourne without a hitch which was excellent.
RouteBeirut to Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2017

"If you want Lebanese hospitality"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | Beirut to Abu Dhabi. The food out of Beirut in economy is delicious and good quality but out of Abu Dhabi it is not good at all. The crew good are well presented and friendly. Seat comfort needs to be updated they are not very comfortable at all. If you want Lebanese hospitality in the air this is the airline to fly.
RouteBeirut to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2017

"5 hours 20 minutes delay"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | Beirut to Al Najaf. This is the case of a Silver Cedar Miles Member. Flight was originally scheduled at 14:20 then changed one day prior to departure to 15:15 which is written on the ticket, surprisingly the flight took off around 20:35 with 5 hours 20 minutes in delay, in August this was not the only delay case, almost every flight with MEA suffered from this with no compensation for making people sit at the flight gate for hours. I use MEA almost for all my flights, the service is good, in-flight entertainment for each passenger, seats are a little narrow. They should get some help to manage their flight operation during peak season.
RouteBeirut to Al Najaf
Date FlownAugust 2017

"worst experience ever"

Verified Review | Dubai to Beirut. My worst experience ever! We came early got our boarding passes 80 min prior sceduled flight take off. When we got to the gate we were informed that the flight got delayed by one hour, same was mentioned on the message board. We went to have some food and were all the time looking at the board or waiting a vocal announcement as usual. The board was still showing flight delayed then we saw final call we ran to the gate (5min far from restaurant) and we were told by Station manager that flight already left 5 min back and we were reported as no show! Interesting. They did not bother to run a vocal announcement about gate is to be closed like any other announcement we were hearing. No one even bothered to explain our rights for what i call here involuntarly Denied Boarding! The guys at counter asked to rebook again our return flight at spot rate (which is 50% higher than what you see on their website) and they need more money to remove the lock of no show so in total we will end up paying double. They even mentioned that we bought it on promo! We ended up spending 7 hrs at airport to arrange exit from customs and collecting our luggage back! It is my first and last time.
RouteDubai to Beirut
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"overall a good experience"

Verified Review | Beirut to London. A fairly decent flight. The in flight entertainment on the way back was extremely limited, and it was a smaller plane too. The meal was very standard - I had the chicken, and it was dry and not very flavoursome. The cabin crew were quite good. The seats aren't great, and they don't actually recline, instead, the seat itself can adjust and move forward which was annoying. Considering I slept for some of the time, and it was a relatively short flight, it was overall a good experience.
RouteBeirut to London
Date FlownJuly 2017

"No priority boarding"

Verified Review | Beirut to Paris. No priority boarding for families with infants. We weren't allowed to take our stroller in Paris Airport, despite a layover of 4 hours before our United Airlines flight it had to go direct to Newark. Luckily we had the baby carrier. One of the crew members gave us the wrong infant seat belt. Few are experienced with hooking up the baby bassinet!
RouteBeirut to Paris