Mango Airlines

Mango Airlines customer review

Review by (United Arab Emirates)

Good budget airline with typical no thrills policy. Check in took forever however due to extra weight payment which is in another office (long queue and slow) - we were 3 pax and had 3kg check-in luggage overweight but don't expect them to waive this. Kind of normal for budget though. Flight on time, pitch is very reasonable and clean plane. Recommended.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteJNB to CPT
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (New Zealand)

I flew to Lanseria from Cape Town to see my sister who lives nearby and onward to New Zealand out of JNB the next day. I'd previously done the flight with Kulula, the only other airline flying this route and thought I would give Mango a try. Unfortunately Mango have overlooked the fact that some passengers on their budget flights inside South Africa use their flights as connecting flights to international flights and their draconian limits on both checked-in and carryon luggage make this a very bad fit. Kulula are also a budget airline but I have always been treated with some empathy from them when I mention my 23kg suitcase and 2 items of carryon (overnight bag and separate laptop) are associated with a longhaul flight. The Mango groundstaff in Cape Town were rude and unsympathetic. Luckily I was at the airport early and takeoff was delayed 1 hr as I was made to repack and redistribute items between bags on the floor in front of the sultry check-in lady 5 times all the while with she laughed and chatted away to colleagues. Eventually she let me go without a smile, thank you or good wish. A pity really- as has been reported on this blog the pilots are jovial, polite and informative pointing out geographical features on the route and our pilot and the cabin crew were great. What could have been the first of many flights on Mango was negated by a member of groundstaff whose bad attitude ruined the experience.
RouteCPT to HLA
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (Thailand)

I was very impressed with my recent experience on Mango Airlines. While it was nothing out of the ordinary, the ordinary was done very well. Having traveled for 24 hours in the days preceding this flight I was not looking forward to it. Boarding and departure was on time. In fact, boarding was done from two entrances, so very efficient. We landed 5 minutes ahead of schedule in very difficult landing conditions. A very good landing under the circumstances. Pilots were very communicative and jovial. Nice seat pitch gave me some extra leg room (I am 6'4'') from what I am used to, service was fine. I was very impressed with the safety briefing we got (we have an infant). I actually learned something about the brace position while carrying an infant. Not mentioned by any of the airlines I have traveled with previously. Cabin pressure and cleanliness was excellent. The flight seemed to be over in no time, I got off the plane in a good mood. All in all a pleasant experience.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteJohannesburg to Port Elizabeth
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (South Africa)

I travelled from Johannesburg to Cape Town last year on Kulula.com and could not believe how uncomfortable their seats were and the lack of legroom was terrible. I decided to try Mango to Cape Town on the 1st February and was amazed at the legroom! Fantastic and they will certainly get my business from now!

Review by (South Africa)

Flight JE271 from Johannesburg to Durban on 12 September 2014 scheduled to depart at 19.40 was delayed to 21.20 without any notification even though Mango staff claim to have notified passengers of the delay. My return trip from Durban to Johannesburg will be my last Mango flight. To think that I went to the airport rushing so that I get there on time and only to find out at 18.35 that I am going to be stuck at the airport for close to 2 hours was not an exciting feeling.
Seat Comfort N/A
Cabin Staff Service N/A
Value For Money N/A

Review by (South Africa)

JNB to CPT. Easy check in. Able to pre-seat online. Very comfortable seats on a new plane with good leg room. Seats do not recline but the extra space makes up for that especially on a short 2hr flight. Staff helpful and variety of snacks to purchase. Arrived 15 mins early.

Review by (South Africa)

Just flew from Cape Town to Lanseria - a very enjoyable experience. The Captain kept us updated about the towns and geographical landmarks we were crossing and he gave the impression that he was happy to be flying us to our destination. 5 stars Mango!

Review by (Switzerland)

JE352 and JE359. Although this is a low-cost airline (you pay for everything) the seat pitch is the best I have experienced in coach class. By the way if you want to recline the lever is under the seat.

Review by (South Africa)

Travelled from OR Tambo to Cape Town - on afternoon of 22 Dec. Very full flight. new plane comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. On time arrival. Bags arrived quickly. Good competent service - just what is needed from a budget airline.

Review by (South Africa)

On this particular flight the 6.25pm flight from Lanseria to Cape Town on 22 June I observed the following: Along with 2 others I was sitting in row 16 ABC… right opposite the emergency safety doors. The cabin hostesses explained what should be done in case of emergency and then proceeded to say that no loose stuff was allowed on our laps or the floor. This is all good (no problem). When the drinks and eats came along the people sitting in 16 FED right opposite the other emergency safety doors started drinking each ordering 2 beers at a time. And then another 4 each. Cabin staff had no problem with each person consuming 6 beers yet made these people responsible for the safety doors in case of emergency! This makes no sense whatsoever. Suffice to say I won't be flying Mango anymore.