Best Economy Class Seats

Mango Airlines

"flights have frequently been delayed"

(South Africa)

We fly Mango Airlines from Cape Town to Johannesburg weekly. The online booking and check in are very user friendly and the inflight attendants are very friendly. But in the past couple of weeks Mango flights have frequently been delayed. We were delayed by 3 hours on Monday and were offered a R250 voucher? I can understand that flights are sometimes delayed but if delayed by hours, surely they should send out emails or sms's instead of allowing passengers to check in and then announce the delay with the result that you are stuck at the airport and obliged to wait on the other side of security control. The other problem Mango have is that they don't communicate with their passengers. They call for boarding and then make you stand in line for 40 minutes without a word of explanation. When you ask you get a rude lie from the floor attendant like they are waiting for buses etc., or there has been a plane change when in fact there is not even a plane yet.
Date FlownJune 2016

"customer service completely hopeless"

Verified Review | Cape Town to Johannesburg. The ground handling and customer service on Mango Airlines are completely hopeless. Not only did they manage to forget to load my bicycle, which meant it didn't arrive in time for my connecting flight to London, but they also consistently gave me the brush-off when I complained. When I (not the airline) managed to trace my bicycle 4 days later, I had to lobby hard to get it on a flight to the UK, and was then charged a fee to have it delivered. The wrote a letter of complaint and requested an explanation and compensation; the reply from Mango suggested I was to blame. Further letters and emails have gone unanswered by the airline. They are an inexpensive airline, that is true; however, if you value your luggage, I would steer well clear and fly with an airline with a more credible and helpful customer service policy.
Date FlownMarch 2016

"aircraft was clean"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Two flights on one day with Mango Airlines: Johannesburg - Durban and Durban - Lanseria. Easy booking and on-line check in. Timely and smooth boarding. Aircraft was clean. The crew offered an effective and professional on board service. Legroom was decent and we landed ahead of schedule in both instances.
RouteJNB to DUR
Date FlownApril 2016

"certainly recommend them "

Johannesburg to Cape Town, and outstanding service from an airline previously unknown to me. The Mango Airlines cabin and ground crew were friendly and accommodating, whilst the leg room was incredible! I mean seriously impressive - if only all airlines offered this sort of space I'd be a much happier traveller. The whole experience puts European budget airlines to shame. I'd certainly recommend them.
RouteJNB to CPT
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"conspicuously chewed gum"

I was unimpressed with the unprofessional service that I received from the ground staff when booking in for my trip from Cape Town to Johannesburg with Mango Airlines. The ground staff conspicuously chewed gum while checking-in my baggage and curtly informing me that I should have paid for my oversized bicycle bag before checking in further added to my dissatisfaction. After paying at another counter, I returned to complete my check-in and to be directed to the oversize baggage location. She told me where it was only to be informed that this was not the correct location but that it was on the floor below. Now having limited time, I had to rush around madly to find someone as it was not sign-posted. Surely one of the airport staff members at the initial oversize baggage location could have directed or walked with me but they did not seem to be to interested which further added to the my negative experience!
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"never fly with this airline"

(South Africa)

I booked a flight from Lanseria to Durban with Mango Airlines for my 75 year old mother for 18.30. When she arrives at the airport 2 hours before as stated on the ticket she was told the flight is delayed until 20.45 that evening, and that an email was sent to all passengers advising them of this. She was given a R60 meal voucher for the inconvenience. Firstly I did not receive the email as I don't work on Sundays, secondly why not send an sms as well, thirdly she couldn't leave the airport in case the plane arrived which was apparently on its way from Cape Town, and lastly giving meal vouchers like it will make everything ok. I'm so disappointed and will surely never fly with this airline. What a shame.
RouteHLA to DUR
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"excellent customer service"

(South Africa)

On 27th December we flew Mango Airlines to Durban from Cape Town - our suitcase with all our kids Christmas presents did not appear on the baggage carousel. We were convinced that it was gone forever. We reported the lost suitcase to baggage desk and left the airport with very sad faces. When we got home I realized that I had also left an iPad on the plane which we too thought would be gone forever. At 9 that evening the gentleman from the baggage help desk called to say our suitcase had been found and the next morning we were notified that they had our iPad. Our case was delivered at 8am and we collected the iPad later that day. At all times the Mango staff were friendly and courteous even in the face of our grumpiness. Thank you Mango for their excellent customer service.
RouteCPT to DUR
Date FlownDecember 2015

"disappointed and irritated"

(South Africa)

I booked a flight for three people with Mango Airlines from Durban to Cape Town. We were all excited until we got onto the plane were we had to sit, without air-conditioning, for over an hour due to there being a problem with the air-conditioning. Thereafter all the passengers were informed that we had to move to another gate to board another plane. When we got to the next gate, it was closed so we all had to queue up once again but this time wait until all the luggage was transferred etc. Then we got to board the plane. The plane was full whilst we waited and there were not much air circulation except for the doors being open. From arriving at the airport excited, we ended up disappointed and irritated and this hampered our spirits for a while. I must admit that the service on the plane was not bad at all.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDurban to Cape Town
Date FlownNovember 2015

"good choice for domestic travel"

Departed in the morning, returned on the evening flight that same day. Check-in at Durban King Shaka was quick and easy and we received all our boarding passes at one time. Both flights left and arrived on time. Mango is a good choice for domestic travel within South Africa if all you want is to get from point A to point B with no frills, no food, no drinks and no service which was fine with us because the flight was only about 45 minutes. One thing Mango does that helps speed boarding is they open the rear door on their 737s. Really speeds things up to have both doors open! The entire flight was boarded in 15 minutes and we were able to depart ahead of schedule. We had no interaction with the cabin crew. However, the flight deck crew were very chatty and very nice; much more helpful than on parent SAA. I'd definitely ride with Mango again! Mango was also the second cheapest of all the airlines that serve Durban to Johannesburg. Before booking on Mango's website, travel down to your local Checkers or wherever Mango tickets are sold and get the fare from there. In our case, we booked at Checkers and the price was 15% less than what we were quoted for the same flights on Mango's website.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownNovember 2015

"flight was further delayed"

(South Africa)

The departure time was 10h00 on 11 October 2015. At 1245 we received a text message that the flight has been delayed to 13h00. The flight was moved to another departure gate without advising us. The flight was further delayed due to certain passenger that did not fly on this flight and his bags had to be removed which is totally understandable. The flight only arrive in Lanseria at 16 h35. Total additional expenses due to parking R110 . Refreshments additional expenses R259.50 Total waste of time 4 hours 35 minutes. No proper explanation was given.
RouteCape Town to Lanseria