Mango Airlines

"The worst service"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. The worst service and customer relations I've encountered.I am from overseas and was staying in Johannesburg with family. My cousin and I wanted to go visit another family member in Cape Town and Mango ended up being the cheapest for me; whilst for my cousin another airline was cheaper so we were flying separately but at similar times so as to meet up in Cape Town. Then during the day I received an SMS saying my flight was delayed from 19:30 to 21:30. This was quite frustrating because (as mentioned above) I was due to land at the same time as my cousin in Cape Town; but would now only be taking off as she landed. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. Next thing I receive another SMS saying the flight was further delayed and would now only be taking off at 23:30 - a 4 hour delay meaning my cousin would need to travel on as it wouldn't be fair to expect her to sit and wait for 4 hours while she could be with family as we were only in Cape Town for a weekend. I then get another SMS saying the flight is delayed and a different time is provided. I cannot recall this time although it was earlier than 21:30, but at this stage I'm so frustrated I plan on just heading to the airport to find out what's going on as it seems nothing is really clear. When I get to the airport I wait in the queue and receive my boarding pass and try to ask what the issue is and why everything is delayed. I explain that I'm meant to be travelling in convoy with my cousin and that we only have the weekend in Cape Town so these delays are somewhat frustrating. I am told that the "we were down" (whatever that means?) and that there's nothing to be done. I then go meet my cousin who is busy trying to check in, only to discover that they've now also got 2 different times on my boarding pass (19:30 - the original time & 21:30 - the supposed new time) so now I have to go back to a line where heaps of people are queuing as there are many delays (and many complaints) to clarify what time my flight actually will be. In the end, we got to Cape Town. Once back in Johannesburg, before leaving the country again I receive and SMS stating that Mango apologised for the delay; and says we can call them for assistance. I discovered they were willing to pay R250.00 for the inconvenience. As I was leaving the country, I decided to email them and find out whether this was applicable to overseas service users; and if so how that may work. I emailed 8 times and never received any response. Whilst I understand that the offer of a voucher as a gesture of good will due to the delays is non-obligatory, it is really frustrating that they never answer their emails and on top of such terrible service. It almost seems like a tactic used to ensure that not all affected and offered recompense are able to make use of such, therefore saving the company money. It would have been preferable to be given a discount on the flight that was delayed; or even vouchers to use on board for on board refreshments.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownMarch 2018

"not the service I expect"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Lanseria. Probably the my worst experience. The counter system is so bad. It takes all mango flights to where ever in the country. No destination names are on the boards so everyone queues in the same line. Then to top it off I was told why I missed my flight, because I "late" when I was standing in the queue. There's a silent policy in the airport so no announcements are made. Any ways I told some one comes around to tell you when flights a board. No one came to me and asked me, so I missed my flight. I had to pay again although the flight had not taken off. No help was offered. So I had to wait from 14:00 until 19:00 for my standby flight. Was this worth it, well if you from the UK and intend using this flight forget it. To top it off the flight was delayed for another hour and no one could inform you what was going on. Really not the service I expect from a cheap airlines.
RouteCape Town to Lanseria
Date FlownMay 2018

"Mango ignored us"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Durban. I landed in Durban, picked up my luggage and on loading my luggage into our car, noticed a large tear down the side of my luggage. We had already paid for our parking and drove straight home, with the intention to lay a complaint with Mango. Mango did not respond to phone calls nor our emails. My dad eventually had a response from Mango "Customer Care" where they fobbed us off. Numerous repeat emails to Mango solved nothing. They then forwarded the email to the head of customer care who promised to look into the matter. Never heard back from him either. True to Mango standards - they ignored us! No further correspondence.
RouteCape Town to Durban

"never fly mango again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Johannesburg. It all began with a simple 50 minute delay, then with a 25 minute delay and then a gate change. My flight was scheduled for 17:30, I was meant to arrive home at around 18:30. I only arrived at 20:35 - the flight was delayed, and apparently they had multiple issues. But then, if I leave the airport at 18:45 which was the delayed time, surely I'd arrive no later than 8? Everything was so slow and delayed, especially compared to my previous experience with Safair 2 days before, where it so quick and smooth. I will never fly mango again.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownApril 2018

"not worth the unpleasantness"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Cape Town. Sometimes it costs a staff member nothing, to save a customer a lot of trouble. Flight JE361 was late, but that's not a big thing. However Mango didn't give a revised arrival time. We waited with our cellphones, to sms or call our families and change itineraries. I did not hear it announced once! Then they told us to turn our cellphones off! I asked the air hostess very politely what the arrival time was, as I needed to sms my wife before turning my phone off. She said: "You cannot tell. Anything can happen during the flight. You must turn your cellphone off now." I asked again (saying "please") for any time I could use. She said only: "We don't know. The captain will announce it later". I began explaining that (again, "please"!) we could not communicate later with our phones on flight mode, but she walked away while I was speaking without saying anything. She was treating me (and everyone actually) pretty badly. In fact, she didn't seem to care at all about anyone on the plane's trip. I remember thinking what a rude lady! (At the same time, the Mango voice came on the intercom, saying that "if there is anything our staff can do, to make your trip more comfortable, please do not hesitate " etc. Well it couldn't have sounded more ironic) When leaving at the end of the flight, I told her that she'd messed up my trip unnecessarily and treated us badly. She then said again: "It's about the flight time right? We cannot know how long a trip will be. Anything can happen in the air". When I replied that they did seem to know how long routes would be, as they gave us arrival times when flights were NOT delayed, she said (incorrectly): "But I told you it would be two hours and five minutes". This was a lie, and also contradicted her previous statement, that they didn't know flight times. She and her colleague started writing a complaint form statement, that I doubt will be any more coherent, accurate or honest than their verbal statements. They were now both being quite rude and snappy. It was time to leave before things went down-hill! It's cheapness is not worth the unpleasantness.
RouteDurban to Cape Town
Date FlownApril 2018

"we were 1.6 kg overweight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. When checking in at the counter we were greeted by a very unfriendly lady who did not even smile. On weighing our bags we were 1.6 kg overweight between the two of us, which works out to 0.8 kg over weight per person. She told us that we would have to pay excess. We told her can't we get a concession as it's less than a kg each and or bags were bubble wrapped so we couldn't remove anything. She refused and we asked to speak to the manager. Instead of calling the manager she called a colleague of hers who was equally unpleasant. We explained that the excess weight was so minimal and we didn't even have hand luggage and then she told us to take our bags off of her counter and find someoene else to help us at another counter. In we end we had to wait to go to another counter and paid the excess of 0.8 kg for each of us. After this incident we will never use Mango again.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Customer service very bad"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | George to Johannesburg. Not impressed. Should have departed today at 14h40. Sat at airport an no info was given. Only that flight was delayed. Eventually departed at 18h 45. I am 71 years old and was very upset. My daughter had to phone George airport for info. Customer service very bad.
RouteGeorge to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"greeted with so much flair "

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Durban. The flight back on 7 July 2017 was delayed, and, it was not a good introduction to Mango. But I flew down on Mango today to Durban again. On time, the airplane was so comfortable and neat! It was a pleasure to be greeted with so much flair by the cabin crew.The photo I took was an added bonus.
RouteJohannesburg to Durban
Date FlownJuly 2017

"knew that our plane was delayed"

Unverified | Durban to Johannesburg. I checked in at 17.30 (departing time 19.15), on thát moment Mango already knew that our plane was delayed. Nobody give us that info! At 19.00: 1 hour later departing time. We told the crew that we had a international flight at 23.59. 'No worries, we will phone your company'. At 20.00 one hour extra. 'No worries', we arrived 23.45 in JNB, to late for our plane! Searching for a hotel, a taxi, costs for the new ticket, eating + drinking in the 24 hours we had to wait for our next flight? Mango didn't help one single moment. We get a voucher 300 Rand/23€ for our next Mango flight, now - never again!!
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"dissatisfied with this service"

Verified Review | Lanseria to Cape Town. When making the booking for a flight, the connection was lost. I called them, and they checked if the booking got through. They said it did not and said that I should make the booking again, so I did. I got one booking confirmation and was satisfied until I saw my credit card was charged twice. In my contact with Mango I asked for a refund. They did not answer my e-mails. Only 4 days before the flight, they sent the booking details of the second booking, the one that I don't need. I am dissatisfied with this service.
RouteLanseria to Cape Town