Malaysia Airlines

Malaysia Airlines customer review

Kuala Lumpur to Perth in business. The KLIA lounge was really poor and thought the on board product would impress me. Obviously I was wrong no clear indication of priority boarding (so I queued for a long time before getting into the plane). Cabin was clean no doubt. However there was no personal storage compartment at all in this 'new business class seat'. Nowhere to put my ipad book headset etc. Asked the staff she said just put them on your seat? Seat was hard and didn't seem to support lumbar. Had to put a pillow under my neck to make it bearable. I tried so many configurations and I couldn't lie comfortably to sleep so I stayed up! I'm quite tall (179cm) and the angled lie flat seat was too short for me. I kept sliding down then hit the foot rest and exerted pressure on my legs. No amenity bags of any kind. Seat pitch was good but really tight seat width! Poor seat. In saying that the cabin crews were professional efficient and friendly. Satay was great. Though I didn't understand why did they put the dessert on the table even before main was served? Substandard IFE selection couldn't find anything to watch. I noticed they only had ONE kids movie! Really?! Its poor product cannot be fully complimented by their great cabin crews. MH really needs to think about their product offering to stay competitive. It was overall ok but not great or even good and Certainly not 5-star!

(Malaysia)

Travel very frequently using domestic route KUL-BKI. I'm not a fan of airline food they are all bland especially when you are travelling domestic economy. But this particular trends get my attention. Back in 2011 the food was very good: 2 selections of Malaysian dishes (chicken or fish) with dessert (normally Kit Kat and fruit slices). Then in 2012-2013 the fruit slices were gone. My latest trip on 6-8 Jan 2014 we were given only the main dishes no dessert / appetizer. Looks like they are not even trying to improve the main dishes and lack of creativity. Not sure if this is the cost cutting measure they are trying to pull but it is not worth the money you are paying for full service carrier. And the cabin crew for domestic flight is OK (since there's no other FSC operating on that route). The Enrich miles program is good though love it when they made Miles promotion last December. But I've seen better from the other carriers.

Malaysia Airlines customer review

PER-AMS-PER in business. Malaysia airlines feels like a cut price airline rather than 5 star. Fare competitive and significantly less than other carriers. Lounges substandard especially in KL. No alcoholic drinks pre takeoff. 777 quite old and seats angled although reasonably comfortable. Service variable: professional on outward and staff called you by name. Unpolished and unfriendly on way back. Food terrible; brunch of vegetable fritatta with chicken sausage truly revolting and almost the only meal I haven't been able to eat in my life! Most carriers would consider this meal too substandard to serve in any class let alone business. Malaysia is ok if you are paying a discounted fare but avoid it otherwise.

(New Zealand)

MH21 1 Dec 2013 Paris-KL. MH131 2 Dec 2013 KL-Auckland. My flight from Paris to KL was the best experience I have had on a plane. The plane was clean and new looking the food was great the staff were brilliant. When I jumped on my second MA flight from KL to Auckland it didn't compare at all to my first flight: the plane interior was shabby and the service was half of that of the Paris-KL service. Regardless of the second experience I still rate Malaysian Airlines as a brilliant economy-service airline.

Malaysia Airlines customer review

Recently travelled to Bangkok from Kuala Lumpur. KUL-BKK was codeshare with Thai Airways so I had a chance to compare with Malaysia Airlines. BKK-KUL was operated on a B737-800. The seat pitch of this particular B737-800 was only 30' which was extremely tight! Like many reviews here it was way too tight even for a 2 hours flight. I am 178cm and I found some difficulties to sit comfortably on that seat for even 1 hour! Cant imagine how could they use this configuration as in LCC. They really need to do something on this! Cabin crews were slightly inorganic but efficient and generally responded well to requests though at times without a smile! The meal service was somehow pathetic: a small noodles with a small kitkat bar and a bite-size banana cake and all were quite tasteless. IFE option was substantially less compared to their Medium-Long haul flights: only a few movies and TV series. In comparison Thai Airways was far more comfortable as the seat pitch was at 34' and it offered a full meal service with a smile too! What a shame that I feel MH could do so much more!

(Indonesia)

LHR - Jakarta on A380. I booked on MH as I'd read about the kid-free zone on the upper deck economy class cabin. This is not the case at all. In fact there seemed to be more babies and toddlers in this cabin than elsewhere on the aircraft! Overall the flight was fine which is probably about as much as you can hope for in Y class. Crew were efficient food was adequate although I'd have preferred sandwiches and a piece of fruit in the snack pack rather than peanuts and cookies. The IFE is reasonable but not as good as other 5* airlines. Similarly there were no little extras such as hot towels menus or amenity kits. Overall it didn't feel particularly 5 stars.

Malaysia Airlines customer review

Took return flights to Australia via KL. Don't understand how MA qualify for 5 star rating. Outbound flights 17 Oct were both night flights from Heathrow and KL MH001 and MH123. First time travelling Business Class and didn't come up to expectations. Crew were noticeable by their absence and surly when present. Hospitality from the crew was minimal and not a smile in sight. Quality and choice of the food was disappointing lacking imagination. Return flights from Melbourne 04 Dec via KL. Both daytime flights MH148 and MH004 Crew were much better they seemed to want to deliver a good personable service making both return flights more enjoyable. Unfortunately the food again lacked imagination and therefore disappointing. To summarise standards of the crews on aircraft are inconsistent so its pot luck whether you have an enjoyable flight or not and food was consistently poor.

(Malaysia)

HKG to KUL business class on A380. The business class product on this short flight was disappointing. The service was mediocre and food poor. My chair could not recline and luckily the seat next to me was empty and could be used. The upper deck business cabin lacks privacy and even though the seats are lie flat it was not comfortable. The IFE is adequate but pales in comparison to Emirates or Cathay. Headsets were given out 30 mins after take off and collected back 30 mins before landing! In Cathay the headsets are already attached at the seat and can be used throughout the flight. MAS has a long way to go to catching up with its competitors and it does not feel like a 5 star airline.

Malaysia Airlines customer review

HKG-KUL on 1/1/14 on the last MAS flight of the day. 737-800 refit has an extremely tight seat pitch configuration and this really affected comfort on the flight. The cabin crew did a really good job but when someone reclines it makes you feel claustrophobic so you need to stand up for a while then there is a problem. For anyone who wants to fly this airline between Hong Kong and KL I would recommend going for one of the earlier services on the A330-300 or the A380 where the seat configuration is more suitable. The 737s should be reserved for flights under 2hrs. Normally I would recommend this airline for long haul but for regional services I have been extremely disappointed.

Malaysia Airlines customer review

LHR-BKK-LHR. First the good. Flights were on time and bags arrived quickly and their cabin crew are great. The A380 was extremely comfortable particularly their flat bed. However we were a bit underwhelmed with the quality/choice of the food and drink on the intercontinental sectors (KUL-BKK-KUL was quite the opposite). Also although we flew on 4 January they AVOD system still only had December's programmes available. Don't know if this affected all MH flights or only our A380. Pretty poor though.