Malaysia Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew with my wife and 3 kids. Having flown the A380 on EK, QR and QF, was really looking forward to flying the Malaysian version. However on entering the aircraft was disappointed to see a shabby and worn interior. The service was mechanical and the food was uninspiring. If you are flying this airline, do not expect any of the extra trimmings such as toys for the kids or amenity kits as it has all become very basic in view of their financial troubles. The IFE was acceptable, the state of the toilets were not. The flight was a couple of hours late taking off and we missed our connection to Kuantan. On the positive side this was handled quite well and we were put on the next flight with minimal hassle.
AircraftA380-800
RouteLHR to Kuantan via KUL

Review by (United Kingdom)

Check in at KLIA very slow, you have to check in on the kiosk first then line up in a massive queue to drop your bags. The plane was scheduled to leave at 23:15 but didnt leave until 01:00, many travellers were scattered from their companions. I was among the unlucky, and I counted at least 3 couples in my seating area that had been seperated from their companions. However stewardesses were very helpful and did all they could to sort this out. After take off, drinks and peanuts were served, followed by a nice hot meal. Drinks were regularly served throughout the flight. Entertainment was good with new films and many good classics. We landed a little under an hour late and disembarkation was swift. Overall it was alright and I would recommend Malaysia Airlines.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London

Review by (Australia)

My experience today was the worst I have had on an airline for a very long time. Staff sloppy and work shy. Food was uneatable, toilets disgusting with water on floor and no hand towels. Seat very uncomfortable, inflight entertainment system turned on for whole flight, but headphones distributed 30 minutes after take off and collected an hour before arrival. I was shocked to see the plane land with several window shades down and many seats in a recline position. The staff spent the last hour of the flight packing everything away and not doing pre landing checks. The Golden Lounge in Kuala Lumpur is worn out and dirty.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney

Review by (United Kingdom)

We traveled on Sunday 16 August, from LHR to Bali via Kuala Lumpur. At check in we were advised by Malysian staff that the flight was on time. However, when we got through security it was on the board as being delayed 2 hours. Then it was changed to a 18.30 take off instead of midday. No one made an announcement to say or any reason given as to why. Passengers were passed from one counter to another to try and find what was happening and what would happen about connection flights. Sadly none of this was addressed at LHR. Finally the flight took off at 18.50, 6 hours 50 mins later than scheduled. The plane was dirty, food left on seats, trays not wiped down, traces of drinks and food on them. No hot towels were given during the duration of the flight (13 hrs), or travels bags provided. Food was also very limited, we were given one hot meals during the first 2 hrs of the flight, then nothing else until 2hrs before landing. Drinks were brought round twice, with meals, but no one informed you that you could go to the galley and get drinks or snacks during the flight. The seats are very uncomfortable for the length of flight. Onboard entertainment is not very up to date. Not looking forward to my return trip to the UK.
AircraftAirbus 380
RouteLHR to Bali via Kula Lumpur

Review by (Finland)

Business Class DPS to KUL due to very good Malaysia Airlines experiences in the past years. Happy to say that they have kept it up and the Boeing 777 Business Class cabin is very roomy for a short 2½ hr flight plus very clean. The senior crew were great and the meals good. Very good "old school" experience with Malaysia Airlines. Keep up the great work!
AircraftBoeing 777 200
RouteDPS to KUL

Review by (Singapore)

If I could rate the ground service even lower than 1 star, I would rate a negative. I do not intend to put all other staff off, when the terrible ones were only a few out of tens of thousands. But I was refused a check in service prior 50 minutes before departure with no check in baggage. What's more agonising is that the person before me was checking in to the same flight. The ground staff was in yellow suit sort of uniform believed to be an officer, an officer who is supposedly a role model to all told me in Bahasa Melayu that they would not check me in unless it's 40 minutes before the flight, I pointed at the clock and replied it is now more 50 minutes before the flight, he raised his voice and said "who do you think you are that we should check you in?" Well my review is that if the morale and capability of staff members of this airline is as such, why bother settling for mediocrity
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore

Review by (Ireland)

I flew business class Dublin to KL via London Heathrow. This review is for the London to KL on the A380. I was very happy with the outbound flight as the service was impeccable and I had the bonus of an aisle seat in the middle with no one beside me. The return journey was a different story. The cabin crew and food were remarkable and was up to the usual high standards. However the seating arrangement was far from ideal for the single traveller. I requested one of the middle aisle seats so that I won't have to climb over anyone and no one will be climbing over me to get out. None available and I got an aisle seat next to a window seat. The person sitting next to me certainly spoiled the trip. Twice when getting out of his seat and getting back in he hit my shin with his heel, ok it may be an accident but common courtesy would suggest saying sorry but not a word from this individual. Granted Malaysia Airlines is not responsible for this but their seating configuration does not consider single travellers who may want some privacy after forking out to fly business class. For this reason alone I will not choose Malaysia Airlines for my future travel if I am paying extra to fly business class. Such a pity as they have some of the best food and cabin crew in the airline industry.
RouteDublin to Kuala Lumpur via London Heathrow

Review by (New Zealand)

I travelled with my 20 month old son for which I paid for a separate seat. The cabin stewards were unhelpful, unfriendly and showed no interest whatsoever in me or my son. There was no children's food available. They would not allow me to put my child's antibiotics in the fridge. The steward on the first leg of the flight was rude and offhand. On the second flight staff gave the impression we were a nuisance. The food is generally of a poor standard and my child is not a fussy eater but the snacks were very unhealthy. The first flight from Auckland to KL had not been cleaned properly. Selection of children's TV was very limited.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteAuckland to London via Kuala lumpur

Review by (Australia)

LON to KUL I had an upper deck exit row seat. The legroom was great, seat a bit hard after 13 hours. Service and food good, IFE average. KUL to BNE flight uneventful, food average at best - on time arrival.
AircraftA380 & A330-300
RouteLON to BNE via KUL

Review by (Australia)

Smooth check-in. The lounge was comfortable with a reasonable food and drink offering. The boarding process was very quick. Only juice and water were offered as a welcome drink, but a full range of beverages was available once underway. The seat was comfortable for a daytime flight, but there was not a lot of storage in-seat. The service was efficient but generally a bit distant. We were served a large lunch and a snack on the 8 hour flight, both fine. The flight operated on time and was a very good experience for the price.
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur