Malaysia Airlines

Seat Comfort N/A
Staff Service N/A
Value for Money N/A

"I would fly with them again"

Verified Review | London to Kuala Lumpur return business class, boarding was smooth and flight departed on time. Non alcoholic drinks and towel was served during boarding. A380 business cabin a bit dated but seats (turn into flat bed) was comfortable for 13 hours flights, plenty of storage and amenity kit serve the purpose. The IFE system, offered variety of movies, TV series and music to choose from. The cabin crew show professionalism, friendly and polite. I was in the main section of business cabin and the crew managed to kept the cabin and lavatory clean (flight was about 80% full in business cabin). They serve the best chicken and beef satay with peanut sauce. I can't fault their in flight meals and offered selection of drinks (champagne, wine, beers, soft drinks and hot drinks) from the bar. I would fly with them again.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"single window seat was comfortable"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne. The Golden Lounge at KUL airport is huge and impersonal, food choices are not acceptable and the place looks run down. Onboard very old aircraft but the seat arrangement in business class was good. My single window seat was comfortable with good sleeping amenities and the food is tasty. But no menu available in a premium cabin. The stewardess had to rattle off the menu to an almost full cabin. No idea what their drink choices are as you do not feel like asking the staff. The crew did not personally welcome passengers and introduce the facilities as its the norm in other carriers. They were hard working but something was missing - perhaps the personal touch. The satay service before landing can be presented more elegantly rather than taking an empty trolley in to the cabin. All in all the cost cutting is very evident.
AircraftA330-200
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"value for money was great"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Denpasar. I got the ticket at a very attractive price, value for money was great, considered it's business class, with lounge access, free seat selection and a generous 40 kg allowance. MH is doing their best to regain their reputation, although with small Boeing 737 the facilities are unfortunately limited. For a short flight of less than 2 hours, it's fine though. Crew were courteous and did their best. Most of the MH flights under 3 hours do not serve alcohol, but except this one, alcohol is free flowing and plenty. Meals are ok but not excellent. All in all, I was very satisfied with the whole experience. Do consider flying their earlier flight, not the one arriving in Bali at 3:30pm, the immigration queue is painfully long, with 5 other flights all arriving at the same time. It took me over an hour to get though. Still, not the fault of the airline though.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Denpasar
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight departing 80 mins late"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. I have been flying Malaysia Airlines (MAS) for many years and also used many various other airlines. MAS pales in comparison with many other airlines while the prices are cheap. I have observed the quality of the service from comfort of seat to meals served going down. The punctuality of the airline is questionable with my flight departing 80 mins late.
RouteSingapore to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"could not fault the staff"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne. After a very pleasant flight from Melbourne to KL I was pleasantly surprised by the return flight. Checked in downtown and took the KLIA Express train to KL International. Went through security and then to the MAS Gold Lounge which is very big and a nice selection of food and drinks. Boarding was prompt though security is much more advanced prior to entering the Terminal itself. No priority for Business Class passengers at all. Seated in 2A which was the same seat I had from Melbourne to KL. Offered a juice or water and a hot towel before take off. Crew were very friendly and obliging. After take-off the drinks trolley appeared and the Satay service (I asked for seconds). Unlike the Melbourne to KL sector there was a Menu which I was shown and then ordered my dinner and more white wine. There was a cheese platter of sorts offered and a dessert wine. I could not fault the staff and the food. Seating comfortable though the area with a fully reclined chair for your feet is a tad small. I really enjoyed the flight and the staff were great. Landed on time in Melbourne and after nearly 45 years of flying it was the smoothest touch down on runway 34 that I have had.
AircraftA330-200
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seat controls did not work"

Verified Review | After a comfortable flight from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur the preceding week, I was looking forward to my return flight home to Melbourne later in August. Unfortunately, after the flight commenced, I discovered that the electronic seat controls did not work and my seat (7A) could not be adjusted via the control panel. I then had to wait until the meal service was completed before two crew members attempted to adjust the seat manually. This required me to stand in the adjacent economy section where other passengers were trying to sleep. My apologies to the poor man whom I accidentally bumped when moving for crew. Eventually, the seat was adjusted to a very uncomfortable sleeping position for the rest of the flight. I was very concerned, however, that it could not be readjusted to the required position for landing in Melbourne. The crew were very apologetic and undertook to report this situation. An alternative seat could not be offered as the flight was full. Subsequently, I lodged a complaint with Malaysia Airlines, requesting compensation for my flight costs only to be now offered 5000 Enrich points instead - hardly equivalent to the $1600 that this flight cost me. I've twice requested a review of this offer and have yet to receive the courtesy of a response. I'll not be recommending this airline to anyone else.
Date FlownAugust 2017

"no information about the flight"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Had a horrible night flying with Malaysia Airlines. First, I booked for MH804 (Kuala Lumpur to Manila), scheduled to fly 3rd September, 5.30 PM. At first, we were informed that our flight will be delayed for two hours due to adverse weather around airport. We were OK with this. However, after around 3.5 hours, there was no information about the status of the flight. The gate crew did not know what was the status of the flight, where is the plane, and where is the cabin crew. The in-duty manager was unreachable. There was neither food nor water provided during this period. Bad thing is that we had elderly and babies among the passengers. Then after 4 hours, we were told that we can board the plane. We boarded, then after 1 hour waiting in the plane (no flying yet), we were informed that the cabin crew apparently have exceeded their duty limit period, and thus they have to make decision whether they were going to find replacement, or cancel the flight. After waiting for one more hour inside the plane, we were told that the replacement crew will be fling from Singapore and we can fly at around 2 AM in the morning. Everyone were asked to step down from the plane. At least at this point they have decency to provide us flight meal. Then came 2 AM, the replacement crew apparently could not make it, so the flight have to be cancelled. Some of us get lucky to be rebooked to MH806 flying next morning, some others, well, I do not know what happened to them. No hotel room was provided, some of us trying to make up rest at the airline lounge, which is very bad. As a result, I had to stay up all night, miss important meeting in the next day, and spend the following day on sick leave.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"have to have a 8-9 hour wait"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Male via Colombo. After booking a vacation in September 2016 to Maldives, on April 6th my wife called to check our seating arrangements. The MH agent said our connecting flight to Male from Colombo was cancelled to our surprise, which meant we would have to have a 8-9 hour wait in Colombo. Knowing some friends were on this flight but book via Sri Lankan airlines, we checked with them, finding out the flight was not cancelled at all. Then we called Sri Lanka airlines and they also confirmed the flight was fine. So my wife initially called MH customer service spending 3-4 hours (3-4 calls) trying to sort out the problem. She was put on hold for hours only to be cut off. Many times they promised to call back, no call was ever returned. After her frustration, I called, similar responses, on hold for over 4 hours (4 calls), called hung up after being put on hold, promises made for returned call, etc. What was frustrating is that we told the agents clearly the flight was not cancelled, Why could they not escalate? On the date of our flight we went to the airport hoping possibly getting on our correct flight, but when we went to Sri Lankan airlines, they said they could not book us in. No only was our 2nd flight changed but we could not even get on the flight we booked on. After back and forth between the two airlines, MH put us back on the flight which we booked and had never changed anyway by reissuing the ticket. After arriving in Colombo, we realized that the mistake of our 2nd flight would not be resolved, and we had to wait 8-9 hours in the Colombo airport. Now to find out that our flight back to KL from Colombo was moved 1 day. We called long distance, only to have the same issues with the customer service staff. On hold, no answer, no return call, etc. The agents response was that they could not put us back on the same flight we booked, as the rates went up, amazing but we never changed the flight, MH did.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Male via Colombo
Date FlownApril 2017

"Very pleasant flight"

Verified Review | Perth to London via Kuala Lumpur. Very pleasant flight on both sectors. The cabin crew were very obliging and were very prompt when pressing the call button. The A380 is very spacious and much prefer the layout to the compartment design of other airlines. The layover in Kuala Lumpur is short and also gates are close to each other. Food was ok and drinks pretty good. Will definitely choose this airline for future trips to UK on the A380.
AircraftA330 / A380
RoutePerth to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"numerous pearls in the chain"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City return via Kuala Lumpur, a ticket bought for 166 USD for 8 hours net time travel which is a good deal for being with a legacy carrier. Boeing 737-800 aircraft. The trip was basically faultless and on time - only tainted by these few minor things: Only 2 hours check in time in PNH is not enough, they are constantly cutting this. Used to be 3 hours, them 2½ hours and now 2 hours. 4 check-in desks are not enough, as I came way early and wasted 30 minutes to check in – in the elite queue. Boarding cards could not be provided throughout – not even at check-in desk in PNH. Internet net check in is a joke – you sit and mingle and waste time again and again to come to the Salomonic reply: ”Please finalise check-in in Airport to have your BPs provided” No alcohol on board on any classes at any time. This is a crime against flyer buffs and a completely unnecessary mean of patronizing customers. If you want a beer you have to cling to the lounges. Food mediocre, but nice with a hot meal – it was quite filling. On the positive side there are numerous pearls in the chain: Luggage checked in throughout (even without the last Boarding Pass). Lounge in PNH is a pleasure, though showing a decline during the last 1 year: they use 3rd party lounge Plaza Premium – good, airy, and spacy. Drinks limited (no champagne, no beer apart from local draught beer, etc.). Bakery has become dormant. On board: Special meals accommodated to perfection. Drink round provided but only 1 on each of 4 two-hours flight is not enough. Go to the galley and you shall receive more drinks. Coffee served was absolutely top notch – Starbuck can go home! Check in good and luggage transferred throughout. The missing BP that they could not issue in PNH was issued in 10 seconds (!) when I came to the desk in KUL. Mileage granted even for this low fare. Lounge in KUL perfect for an Emerald flyer. I stayed overnight in their premises. Staff onboard were all very friendly, energetic, and tolerated that I consumed my own drink purchased in airport – at times I buy supplies, as I know about the MH drinking (saving cost?) fear. IFE onboard is a joke: no hearing device, no screens opened, so absent in economy. Old, worn aircraft, however, the seats in are soft and spacious and table trays had been rehabilitated and were firm and good. I could stretch out my legs completely in row no. 5 (the first one after business class). They kept middle seats free (as much as possible) in the 3x3 configuration. A pleasurable journey and I will gladly take the trouble again diverting my travels through KUL – at least as long I am elite flyer in Oneworld (at Qatar) and they have these incredible bargains. Toilets were clean – it helps that they virtually prevent people from drinking by extremely limited choice of drinks using small paper mugs. However, I assume that I have become addicted to this airline in my attempts to revive it. Helped by the discounts campaigns I take the troubles extending my time. Of course my Oneworld elite status helps a lot to make my travels smooth. But having travelled on MH for years I have never missed a flight or lost a suitcase.
RoutePhnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh via KUL