Malaysia Airlines

"cabin service was excellent"

Review by (India)

BOM-KUL in a 737 with cramped seating. Other legs on a A330 (between KUL and SEL) and a B777 (KUL-BOM) were better. All flights left and arrived pretty much on time. Check-in at both BOM and SEL was a breeze (BOM-KUL was about 30% load, hardly any line) and baggage arrived in good time on the belt at both ends. Cabin service was excellent, the crew were on their feet, quickly responding to requests and usually quite friendly. All special meals arrived as requested on all legs. On the flip side, the catering from KUL was wanting (foreign particle in the salad, bread half crusty, half soggy) and some of the aircraft had seen better days. A toilet door would not shut easily and amenities were sparse. I am told the 777-200 will cease flying to BOM shortly. Somewhat annoying was their practice of leaving the "fasten seat belt" sign on for hours at a stretch even when the flight seemed quite smooth - inexplicably they did not disallow passenger movement in the cabin and use of toilets even with the sign on, but refused to serve hot beverages for the entire duration.
AircraftBoeing B737 / A330 / Boeing 777
RouteBOM to SEL via KUL

Review by (United Kingdom)

Had the best two flight attendants ever on MH4, they did the job properly and with a smile. Sat upstairs on a day flight in economy and had a good flight experience. Well done to the two guys who worked there socks off going the extra mile for the passengers in the full section of the plane.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London

Review by (Malaysia)

Worst seat I have had in business class over last 30 years of regular travel. The cushion was so thin and worn, you could feel the metal of the frame digging into you. There is a large wedge cushion that is to be used when you lower the seat into an angled bed, so I sat on this cushion when not lying down. But then when lying down the metal frame was very noticeable again when using the cushion at your feet. For the price it was a disgrace in term of comfort. They say the worst business class is better than any economy, but I have to say this came close, I'm sure some good airlines economy would have been as comfortable. I know Malaysia Airlines are looking to change, but they need to, I felt robbed in terms of value for money.
RouteKUL to AMS

Review by (Australia)

I thought I would fly Malaysia Airlines to support them given their current woes. Rewarded with a lost bag. I didn't have anything for a couple of days, but worse was no one from the airline contacted me to offer any assistance. I did have a phone number for their baggage department, but like every other airline that loses a bag, none of their team answered the phone. They do send you SMS messages, but they provide very little information that you can verify with anyone. The plane was tired, with two toilets in need of repair. On the way back to Sydney, I was staggered by the time taken to check in. Their systems for check in are very, very slow. The plane was a tired one, not clean, and one toilet wasn't flushing. Crew was ok, but they wake you to serve breakfast, which is a bread roll with cheese in it! Hardly worth waking for. I understand why they are in administration.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney

Review by (Taiwan)

I took Malaysia Airlines flight from Taipei to Amsterdam. The attitude of flight attendants was not nice. One of them was so impatient when passengers asked for a cup of water. Besides, my luggage was delayed for a day. And on 28 August I came back from Amsterdam to Taipei. Due to technical problems, the flight was delayed at Schipol Airport for three hours. So when we arrived at Kuala Lumpur Airport, many passengers missed their original flights. We waited for another three more hours for lining up to get new boarding pass. The ground staff arranged me to China Airlines since there was no flight to Taipei by Malaysia Airlines on that day. When I got to the gate of China Airlines, I was not allowed to board. They told me they didn't get any information from Malaysia Airlines and I was not on the list. Then I went to ask the ground staff of Malaysia Airlines. She called China Airlines to confirm the situation. After the call, she told me I should be ok to board - she didn't know the reason why China Airlines couldn't let me get in. Then she arranged the flight for me next day and hotel in the airport for a night. She didn't try to communicate with the staff of China Airlines. Malaysia Airlines attitude is awful.
RouteAmsterdam to Taipei via KUL

Review by (Vietnam)

Flew Saigon-KL-New Delhi and return. Check-in either side was smooth and hassle free. They offered a wide variety of drinks on board. KL-Delhi-KL has flat bed seats, very comfortable and cozy. Airport lounge at KL and Delhi offered great service and a rich food and drinks menu. IFE was decent. Cabin crew energetic and friendly. They could add more items to the list of vegetarian food. Fare is very competitive. Will fly them next time.
AircraftBoeing 737 & A330
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Delhi via KL
Date FlownFebruary 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

The initial flight was an hour late taking off. When I arrived in Perth my luggage had been left in KL I was not reunited with my luggage until 25 hours later. On my return the flight I was delayed 5.5 hours, therefore I missed my coach to take me home. At no point was there explanation or apology.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Perth, Australia via KL

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew with my wife and 3 kids. Having flown the A380 on EK, QR and QF, was really looking forward to flying the Malaysian version. However on entering the aircraft was disappointed to see a shabby and worn interior. The service was mechanical and the food was uninspiring. If you are flying this airline, do not expect any of the extra trimmings such as toys for the kids or amenity kits as it has all become very basic in view of their financial troubles. The IFE was acceptable, the state of the toilets were not. The flight was a couple of hours late taking off and we missed our connection to Kuantan. On the positive side this was handled quite well and we were put on the next flight with minimal hassle.
AircraftA380-800
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLHR to Kuantan via KUL
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Check in at KLIA very slow, you have to check in on the kiosk first then line up in a massive queue to drop your bags. The plane was scheduled to leave at 23:15 but didnt leave until 01:00, many travellers were scattered from their companions. I was among the unlucky, and I counted at least 3 couples in my seating area that had been seperated from their companions. However stewardesses were very helpful and did all they could to sort this out. After take off, drinks and peanuts were served, followed by a nice hot meal. Drinks were regularly served throughout the flight. Entertainment was good with new films and many good classics. We landed a little under an hour late and disembarkation was swift. Overall it was alright and I would recommend Malaysia Airlines.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London

Review by (Australia)

My experience today was the worst I have had on an airline for a very long time. Staff sloppy and work shy. Food was uneatable, toilets disgusting with water on floor and no hand towels. Seat very uncomfortable, inflight entertainment system turned on for whole flight, but headphones distributed 30 minutes after take off and collected an hour before arrival. I was shocked to see the plane land with several window shades down and many seats in a recline position. The staff spent the last hour of the flight packing everything away and not doing pre landing checks. The Golden Lounge in Kuala Lumpur is worn out and dirty.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney