Malaysia Airlines

"such a pleasant atmosphere"

Verified Review | Melbourne to New Delhi via Kuala Lumpur on 19th July. I want to thank to all dedicated cabin crew on the flight to New Delhi from Kuala Lumpur who were kind and having perfect hospitality attitude. They were helping everyone to settle down. I asked staff several time for water/ cold drinks etc and they were ever ready and serving so well to everyone with a big smile. Really enjoyed my journey in such a pleasant atmosphere. Will definitely travel with Malaysia Airlines in future.
RouteMelbourne to Delhi via Kuala Lumpur

"very little leg room"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Penang. We left on time which is a plus. Old plane, very tight seating, very little leg room. Drop down screens for safety video. No checks prior, the lady next to me was holding her bag prior to take off. We were given a juice and peanuts after take off. The flight was uneventful, although being so squashed I was glad it was just for an hour.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Penang
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Keep your expectations low"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur return. Good price, day flights, generous 30kg baggage allowance and ability to check bags ahead the day before at KLIA, the 2-4-2 seating is great for couples. Flight to KL Left 30 min late but arrived early. The seat was narrow but had good leg room. The IFE was very slow to respond and the annoying ads before each show whether movie or TV show was annoying. The movies were either old or mostly detective / murder / action / sci fi. We got peanuts and a choice of juice soon after take off. Food was served about an hour or so into the flight, choice of chicken curry or basil fish. We were in row 24, four up from the toilets which reeked. Quiet flight though, no screaming kids. A pizza thing was served before landing, congealed and barely lukewarm, inedible. There were no landing cards to be filled in before arrival. It's all biometric. First time I've experienced that. Returning started poorly, in the holding pen at KLIA, I needed the toilet. The gate agent said he'd hold my boarding pass and I'd collect it from him on my return. Long wait in line up but finally got back to him and he had lost it, said he gave it to a friend at the desk who had left. Made me sit by the door till all passengers had gone through and boarded. Was getting worried by now. I did know my seat number though. Eventually he sat at a computer and gave me a print out. The plane was newer than the one we flew up in and the IFE more responsive. Still annoying ads. The brunch was minimal in size, a quiche and two cakes. Before landing we got given a pastry thing. We landed an hour earlier than scheduled. Would I fly with them again? Doubtful. Keep your expectations low if flying with them.
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2017

"FAs were polite and efficient"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Return flight from Melbourne home on 3/7/17. Check-in at Melbourne airport was tedious as the queues were long and no attempt to manage the queue lines. It was a full flight as it was Australian school holidays. They gave an incorrect gate number which they 'rectified' later. The boarding area was congested at Gate 7 and little attempt was made by ground staff to organize the seating and boarding. They did request parents with children and strollers to come forward but allowed eager passengers to block the boarding area. Again, no boarding by zones which is odd considering this was a full flight. Malaysia Airlines doesn't seem to like controlling the boarding process both at KLIA or elsewhere. The flight itself was uneventful. The FAs were polite and efficient but did not bother to interact with the passengers or exude any warmth or interest in their passengers. In contrast to the Qantas flight I took a few days ago, the warmth of the FAs was like chalk and cheese. The main meal was okay but the snack served before landing was tasty. They called it a pizza but it was really a pie. The FAs did keep everybody well watered and answered calls promptly. The IFE was okay, not a great selection but okay for an 8 hour flight. Baggage arrived really late but that is not the fault of MH but rather the poor service of KLIA. Even the baggage belt was not updated with flight arrivals and pax were walking around enquiring asking staff for help.
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2017

"FAs were all top notch"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled SGN-KUL-PNH on 1st and 2nd July 2017. Arrived to SGN way too early from a domestic connections (Hue, Central Vietnam). However, as Malaysia Airlines have several flights daily, I became allowed by the MH Airport manager to check in on a flight earlier. That meant instant check-in and lounge access. Both flights on time. Good lounge in SGN (Apricot) and even better in KLIA where I was let into the First Class Lounge (Oneworld Emerald status). Food onboard was good, at least 2 options of hot meals despite short flights of approx. 2 hours. My special meals ordered (seafood) was honoured – except for the 1st flight where I forsaked it purposely at check-in as they obviously could not handle it with very short notice. I was given the best economy seats available, even without requesting for it. FAs were all top notch, alert, and kind to all passengers. They instantly recognised me as high level tier card-holder and got lots of attention, despite travelling on a shameless cheap economy ticket, paying 166 USD for a return ticket of 4 legs. No alcohol onboard, but the lounges they provide have plenty. In KUL they have champagne as well as sparkling Pinot Noir wine from Australia. Noisy, old aircraft, but well maintained. Generous luggage allowance starting with 30 kg in economy plus whatever can be added for elite card holders. Good IFE with personal monitors. MH is upping the game. KLIA airport is nice and quick to manoeuvre in.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Phnom Penh via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Food and wine have improved"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to London. Food and wine have improved tremendously just in the past year that I flew on this route. Taste, presentation and choice were excellent. remains impeccable, warm and friendly cabin crew. A380 seats are comfortable and spacious. Malaysia airlines should consider Dine Anytime on this route.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London
Date FlownJune 2017

"cabin crew were attentive and professional"

Verified Review | I chose Malaysia Airlines because of their low price and generous 30kg baggage allowance. Although it involved backtracking by flying south to Kuala Lumpur on my way to London, I have no regrets about choosing Malaysia Airlines. The check-in went smoothly then the flights left more-or-less on-time. The cabin crew were attentive and professional and the food they served was pretty decent in the context of economy class. My only criticisms here were the fact short-haul flights are dry even in Business class and also the fact that the only snacks on the galley on the Kuala Lumpur to London route were packets of salted peanuts. At the same time Malaysia Airlines was generous with free drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) on the flight to London and for me and many other passengers this is very important. The A380 and 737 were both comfortable. My only criticism was the fact my key pad for controlling entertainment, my reading light and the call button was broken meaning I had to stand up to press the call button or use the touch screen to control my entertainment. Overall my experience was a positive one and I will not hesitate to book flights with Malaysia Airlines in the future. In fact in light of the recent cuts by British Airways I would happily pay more money to fly with Malaysia Airlines over British Airways.
AircraftBoeing 737 and A380
RouteBangkok to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2017

"cabin crew were absolutely excellent"

Verified Review | London to Kuala Lumpur. I was pleastantly surprised by how excellent this airline was. Check in was perfect and seamless. I was rather happy to be able fly in the A380. The cabin crew were absolutely excellent in the air. Whatever you wanted was never any trouble for them. IFE was more than adequate for a 13 hour direct flight. The food was probably one of the best i've ever had over the last 6 years. I can't speak highly enough of this airline and its staff.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur

"My baggage was delayed"

Verified Review | Singapore to Hyderabad return via KL. My baggage was delayed on both onward and return journeys. Flight from SIN to KL was delayed leaving 50 min to take the KL to HYD flight. However flight was delayed by 20 min, so I thought there was time (1 hr 10 min) to transfer baggage. But baggage not delivered. I had to wait for nearly 40 hours and endless calls to have my baggage finally delivered. And it happened during my return journey too. This time baggage delivered the same day. Malaysia Airlines refused to apologise and offer me even the basic compensation. MH refused me compensation as I was travelling to India with an Indian passport.
RouteSingapore to Hyderabad via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2017

"understaffed in economy"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Sydney. Boarding at KLIA was appalling. An announcement was made for passengers needing assistance and people traveling with young children but everyone ignored the announcement and rushed forward and the gate staff did nothing about it. Malaysia Airlines needs to get their act together re boarding as this is not the first time this has happened. Once on board, the inflight service was good. FA's were efficient and helpful but it was clear that they were woefully understaffed in economy. The flight was delayed by one hour and there was an apology from the flight deck. The food service took ages as only one FA was distributing meals on each aisle. There was turbulence regularly throughout the flight and clear announcements were made to this effect. However, the FA's were reluctant to serve hot beverages once the seat belt sign was off. Despite this, many people were asking for tea and coffee so eventually it came out but it was lukewarm. The meal was very tasty but the portion size has shrunk considerably. The cabin was scruffy and the toilets could have been cleaner. Overall, there is room for improvements in food portion size, more FA's needed on board and boarding at KLIA needs to be looked at.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney