Top 100 Airlines

Malaysia Airlines

"need to improve check in"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Penang. First time flight with this Boeing 737-800. They really need to improve check in queue, almost 1 hour just for check in and dropping baggage. Flight was delayed 1 hours. The cabin crew look tired. Food served was just nuts and water. Comfortable seat but need to improve inflight entertainment. I didn't get earphone in my seat.
RouteKUL to PEN
Date FlownAugust 2016

"meals and snack box were good"

London to Kuala Terengganu via Kuala Lumpur. First Leg Check in was a nightmare, unable to print boarding pass prior and rely on Bag drop, which resulted in a 90 minute queue for check in (only 5 agents for 300 odd passengers) not a good start. Boarding was quite good if you held back and boarded after the mass. First time on an A380 and was looking forward to this, it is a sea of people on the lower deck and the seat advise would be to fight for an economy seat in the upper deck. Back to my trip, IFE screen was good size with USB outlet, viewing selection was very good and i could find something to watch all the time (13 hours) flight tracker was a bit dated. Times must be hard at Malaysia Airlines as the inflight pack was non existent, blanket, pillow and headset, no socks, eye shade, toothbrush anything and after 13 hour flight my mouth tasted like, well not pleasant. Seat was the most comfortable I have experienced, it reclined in such a way it made it relatively easy to get a sleep and be at ease for this duration. Cabin crew were very very efficient they did the rounds like a rash they were warm enough to feel served by them it was a well run ship so to speak. Meals and snack box were good as was the regular hydration runs. I enjoyed the A380 experience it does really feel more relaxing and hope Airbus will seriously think about its future rather - the down side to this trip was out of Malaysia Airlines control due to ATC in Europe we sat in Heathrow for 2 hours. 2nd Leg to Kuala Terengganu, B738, haven't been one of these for years but MAS have decked them out pretty well with IFE and leather seats, 45 minutes a bag of peanuts and a drink and we were there, however due to a short, less than 20 minutes transfer time our bags didn't make it, now this is the rub, would you rather make the transfer and not get your bags or want to have a night in KL and travel with your bags after 3 couples dealing with MAS in Kuala Terranguna for over an hour I think I would travel with the bags.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 737-800
RouteLHR to TGG via KUL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"worst airline I've flown long haul"

London to Penang via Kuala Lumpur. Had 4 flights with Malaysia Airlines in 3 weeks, not one of them took off on time, the delays were between 40 minutes and 2 hours and each time we were boarded onto the plane only to sit there and wait all this time. So on the flight out of London we had been on the plane almost 3 hours before we were offered a drink. On all flights I found the staff unhelpful and uninformative. They offered no advice about missed connections on the way out and on the way back my TV stopped working 3 hours before we landed, I informed the crew and they didn't do anything at all. There was a huge mess up with seating on the way back, despite booking my seats online well in advance, upon check in they tried to put me be my husband on opposite sides of the plane. Similar things had clearly happened to other people as it was mayhem on board with people trying to move around, families being split up etc and the staff were less than useless. Getting a drink on an Malaysia Airlines flight is almost impossible, they came around with a tray of water or juice 3 times in a 14 hour flight and only did a proper drinks cart once. They don't put a menu out so at meal time you get a choice of chicken or fish and haven't got a clue what comes with them, it's like feeding time at the zoo, the staff are so unorganised! Never again, worst airline I've flown long haul with!
RouteLHR to PEN via KUL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"don't trust a word MH tells you"

In March I flew on the flight MH002 (Kuala Lumpur to Lo9ndon) which diverted to Manchester. It was a nightmare which ended with 14 hours delay, 5 of which were spent sitting on the tarmac. Like anyone I was prepared to bitch and moan. However, something happened to restore my faith in the airline. I received a letter from the CEO of the company offering me a free flight. Wonderful! Well, no actually because once I tried to book my free flight using the instructions on the letter I came across a wall of evasion and obstruction. I have had several pointless phone calls and sent many unanswered e-mails. I have encountered the worst customer relations imaginable and still no flight. What should have been a simple process has become a game of smoke and mirrors. Is it wearing me down? Yes it is. Am I giving up? Not likely. I'll soldier on. It's become a matter of principle now. So, in conclusion, don't trust a word Malaysia Airlines tells you and use a different carrier.
RouteKUL to LHR
Date FlownMarch 2016

"next time use another airline"

London Heathrow to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur. The worst long haul airline I've had I think. Pre-flight I was on hold at the call centre for over an hour. When the agent picked up the call disconnected before I could explain the reason for my call. This happened twice - it's not possible to add baggage I'm told? You have to pay it as excess - $600 USD for a 20kg bag. Inflight, there are far too many announcements, telling you lots of useless information. The entertainment system is turned off an hour before landing? Next time I'll pay more to use another airline. On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and attentive.
RouteLHR to BKK via KUL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"not impressed with this carrier"

Verified Review | At the time of booking with Malaysian Airlines and unlike other Oneworld alliance partners it is not possible to ascertain the fare class being booked and therefore the miles and points to be awarded to your frequent flyer program. I made a seamless round trip reservation from Singapore to London with a stopover in Kuala Lumpar. At the check in Singapore when I was given my boarding passes for both legs I asked if my miles had been credited and was assured that that was the case. The same scenario applied to my return trip. Upon my return and having retained the relevant boarding passes I made various online checks to my account to see if the miles and Cathay Pacific points had been credited to my account. On 08/07/16 the miles corresponding to the short leg from Singapore to Kuala Lumpar were credited but since then there has been no activity. I made an initial enquiry with Malaysian Airlines on 29/07/16 and subsequent follow up on 19/08/16 to which I have received zero response. On 19/08/16 I contacted Cathay Pacific in relation to the missing miles. I received a call from Hong Kong less than two hours after having sent a fax. I was informed that they would be following up with Malaysia Airlines with regards to the missing air miles for the Kuala Lumpar to Singapore leg but as the fare class indicated on the Kuala Lumpar to London and return boarding passes was different to the short Singapore to KL leg I was not entitled to any air miles. I have since contacted Malaysia Airlines yet again but to no avail. For passengers looking to accrue air miles and points if applicable in order to maintain their tier status, check carefully when booking with Malaysia Airlines as there is no indication when booking as to any entitlement. Moreover the fare class is not even stated on the travel itinerary receipt. I should also add that the price I paid for my return ticket from Singapore to London was no cheaper than those offered by other One World partners yet they all offer air miles. As for the actual flights I was not impressed with this carrier. The service was lacklustre, the food average and the A380 craft were showing their age. It also proved difficult to be served an alcoholic drink. The connecting flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore left two hours after the scheduled departure.
RouteSIN to LHR via KUL
Date FlownJune 2016

"understand why MH lost its 5-star rating"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Now I totally understand why MH has lost its 5-star rating. We flew business class from Kuala Lumpur to Denpasar on MH715. Equipment is an old Boeing 737-800 which is totally acceptable for a short 3-hour flight however the cabin was filthy and shortly after boarding. Having flown with Qatar Airways and Cathay Pacific the previous day, Malaysia Airlines food, service and hard product is nowhere near in comparison which was a huge let down. The nearly inedible breakfast was served in a single tray by flight attendants who pretty much disappeared after putting the tray down with the exception of one flight attendant who was chatting with what I can understand a colleague, seated right across the aisle, with her fiance, getting married in Bali. The conversation started as soon as we boarded and continued during meal service and not once I noticed this flight attendant serving other passengers except chatting to her colleague while continually topping up their alcoholic drinks. Meanwhile we, and other passengers, have to ask for a coffee or juice as not once either of these were offered. From the point-of-view of a revenue passenger, this it totally unacceptable. We were looking forward to a great flight with MH but had very negative views of the airline after this unpleasant experience.
RouteKUL to DPS

"the crew did the best"

Verified Review | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. I flew this carrier due to the competitive pricing for this route. I was pleasantly greeted with nice cabin crew who helped me with my baggage. The plane took of a minutes later but landed on time at KLIA. The counter staff doesn't really smile much and the seats are old and the seat pockets are stained. I often opt for the seafood and it taste good but not worth a second mention. Now they use the box like a bento and serve the food which I find is much faster to clear than the standard trays. The portions were good for a 1 hour 30 mins of flying time. Using an old IFE but it didn't have and issues. Overall it was a good experience if you paid for the lower end of the price as it can't match Thai or SQ quality service. Minimal service but the crew did the best. A practical choice for those who want to flight full service in economy in the region.
RouteCGK to KUL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"it was a pleasant flight "

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur. For the SGN to KUL, the plane came in on time and departed on time. Cabin crew were professional and smiled but were visibly tired. Food was average to good, served hot from the oven into a box which I think is easier to clean rather than using a tray. IFE is not responsive but the console was able to counter the issue. Mid flight the cabin crew went down to close all the window shades to allow passengers to get some shut eye and offered pillows and blankets and drinks. The downside of departing from SGN is that the ground crew from SGN are poor in customer service as they are mostly locals and that the airports reputation was known to be poor in their airport rating in 2015. However the next leg, KUL to SIN, was a bit messy as the plane was delayed 45 minutes due to late arrival of the aircraft from Tawau. So I arrived in Singapore at 0050h instead of 0005h. As a form of compensation the crew surprised us with ice cream onboard along with peanuts and juice which left us feeling better. Overall it was a pleasant flight but again the cleanliness is still not up to spotless just yet.
RouteSGN to SIN via KUL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"average to a good experience"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta. Since a few months back, all flight services under 3 hours have removed their bar service which was a bit of a downer as we could not have a wider range of drinks to choose from. But the cost cutting measures seem to be working as the air tickets I bought were comparable to budget carriers flying out of KLIA. The flight was smooth and boarding was efficient due tot the low volume as it was an odd time to fly. Cabin crew was experienced and was able to comfort passengers, allowing them to feel a relax by providing pillows and blankets. They were fast to respond to the request and would kneel down to listen to your request in a kebaya which is quite a feat. They crew were lovely but the cleanliness of the aircraft, was poorly maintained. When queried about the cleanliness, I came to understand that the previous flight suffered moderate turbulence thus tea and coffee stains were everywhere. Overall I think they did their best to clean before the next set of passengers came onboard. It was an average to a good experience.
RouteKUL to CGK