Malaysia Airlines

"average, unremarkable experience"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Perth to Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia Airlines use a B737 which is not a comfortable jet for a 5.5 hour flight. The queue for the toilet gets long as in Y class they are located at the end of the aircraft. Boarding was handled very well by ground staff in PER. The aircraft was clean but dated. Seats were narrow and seat pitch on the B737 is a measly 30 inches. IFE was okay but the sound was scratchy over the headphones, despite trying a different pair. The food portions were tasty but really small. The flight from Perth leaves at 350pm and they serve you a full meal at that time. Why not wait for actual dinner time and serve the hot meal before landing? Alcohol was not offered readily and they don't get that you should have a drink WITH your meal and not after your meal. In one half of the aircraft, the FA was handing out meals with no drinks on her trolley. No hot drinks for most of the flight as there was turbulence half way through the flight but the seat belt sign was then left on for the remainder of the time. FA's were helpful and efficient but were not friendly in anyway. Overall, an average, unremarkable experience.
RoutePerth to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"experience was just fine"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Namu. This is the first time since a year ago I took Malaysia Airlines. From the check-in and baggage, it was quite effortless as there are check-in machines where passengers can check-in independently and print baggage tag directly. But, passengers still required to queue to the counter to drop the baggage. The flight was quite on time, but in-flight experience was just fine. Since it is a short-haul flight, passengers were just given peanuts and orange juice for snacks.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Kuala Namu
Date FlownJune 2018

"FAs are professional and kind"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew SGN-KUL-PNH on their ageing B737’s 1st of July 2018. Check-in in SGN was a breeze as usual – I always get the feeling that they just are waiting for me at the counter. It took them < 2 Minutes at the counter to process me. Ticket purchased under a campaign for the price resembling that of an economy class ticket. Lounge granted in Saigon is called Apricot, a 3rd-party lounge of good quality. I could have saved ½-1 day of time if I’d taken a direct flight SGN-PNH. However, I gladly take the detour from Saigon over Kuala Lumpur to enjoy the business class privileges, including the amazing “Golden-lounges” in KLIA. On time. 40 kg of checked-in luggage is included in business class (plus some 20 kg in addition from Oneworld Emerald privileges). Luggage handled correctly, expedite, and with care. On board the FAs are professional and kind. Seat selection and special meals are all free when purchased on their website. I ordered Seafood-meal and it was OK (not excellent) and delivered smoothly. The remaining food provision for the cabin was also good, menu-cards with 3 hot options were given to all 16 passengers on business class (that cabin was full, economy only half). I had a grilled red snapper as an additional dish. Staff were proactive and in a sparkling good mood. IFE systems good with touch screens on the individual Monitors. More important is these gorgeous, classic huge, well-bolstered business class chairs that furbish the biz-class cabin. They are so nice and in my view better than new lie flat seats. Onboard, they also provide most of the immigration forms to fill prior to landing in PNH, which saves time. No alcoholic drinks offered thus I bought a beer from Airport which they allowed (or ignored?) me to consume on board. Have never had any issues with Malaysia Airlines, including ticket changes, refunds, luggage, and their impressive punctuality. For the price that I paid it would have been a pure 10/10 score but I need to deduct a point for the limited drink offering. I even got a substantial amount of miles and Q-credits to my Qatar Airways frequent flyer programme.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"long queue at check in"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Penang via Kuala Lumpur. The first thing that I saw when I want to check in my luggage was the extremely long queue at the check in counters. There were only 6 counters for Malaysia Airlines(only 5 counters for economy class), but 12 counters for Qatar Airways in the same row. Perhaps Malaysia Airlines can increase the number of check in counters in Seoul Airport to increase the efficiency of luggage check in process. I waited for more than an hour to check in my luggage. The seat was comfortable and the legroom is big enough for me to stretch my legs. The cabin staff was very friendly. The breakfast(American breakfast) provided is nice, but the portion is not enough for me. The in flight entertainment was awesome and had a lot of movies and musics.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 737-800
RouteSeoul to Penang via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"baggage lost in both directions"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | On a recent trip from Langkawi via Kuala Lumpur to Colombo for one week return with Malaysia Airlines my baggage was lost in both directions. The first flight was late which caused the baggage to miss the transfer to the second flight. On the return both flights were late by over an hour but still with 2 hours transit time to transfer the luggage, yet they still lost it. In Langkawi many people had missing luggage but no Malaysia Airlines staff to be seen. Only one poor guy in a office trying to deal with all the angry passengers when they finally figured out where he was.
AircraftB737-800
RouteLangkawi to Colombo via Kuala Lumpur

"miss connection flight"

Trip Verified | Canberra to Kuching via Kuala Lumpur. Flight delayed over 2 hours and miss connection flight. Given a complimentary hotel and coach when finally arrived at KLIA, wait in very long line to find out what happened, and then having to wait for transport. The flight landed around 10pm but still waiting on level 1 gate 2 for my transport to hotel, almost 12.45 am now (apparently they want to wait for everyone or enough people to registered at the counter before taking us to hotel). The pick up time at hotel tomorrow is 5 am.
RouteCanberra to Kuching via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"nice to see MH picking up again"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Perth. We were delayed for one hour stuck at the departure gate with little information. Once on board the 3 members of staff in the economy cabin, who all happened to be men, performed an exceptional job. They were proactive, efficient and friendly. That was the highlight of the flight. The seats were awful and the portion size of the food has shrunk! It’s nice to see MH picking up again.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownMay 2018

"delayed by at least one hour"

Trip Verified | My fourth flight and my fourth retiming of my flight. This time almost 2hrs on the Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok leg. About 2rd of all regional flights this afternoon operated by MH were delayed by at least one hour. Flights themselves on their usual old 738 planes. Plane had a very short turnaround time in Singapore and was therefore not cleaned. There were peanuts on my seat and tissue papers on the floor. I have had enough of MH!
RouteSingapore to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"rescheduled all four of my flights"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Dhaka via Kuala Lumpur. Malaysian Airlines cancelled and rescheduled all four of my flights going to Dhaka via Kuala Lumpur and back due to technical problems. The worst part though was not the cancellation, but the way they dealt with it. I was provided no compensation for the four delayed flights, even though it cost me an additional one night of hotel booking as well as the loss of a night I had originally booked in a hotel. For the return cancellations, I received no notification until the day of departure, even though the cancellation was known 5 days in advance. I happened to go to my online booking and to my surprise saw that the return date had changed. Why did they not inform us beforehand? Other passengers on the flight did not know about it in advance, and I met two passengers who only found out when they had reached the airport. - My luggage arrived dented and with a broken wheel, but Malaysian Airlines indicated it does not compensate for this either. It took 2 weeks for Malaysian Airlines to get back to my complaint, with a message saying I will receive no compensation under "Article 10.01" of "Conditions of Carriage". And it turns out the person didn't even read my complaint or check the flight history, because it acknowledged only one of my four cancelled flights. Malaysian Airlines staff on the phone and at the airports were unhelpful, saying they cannot do anything for me - not even allowing me to change my seat, having lost my original selection due to the rescheduling. - They did not indicate the reason for the first two cancellations, only the return cancellations - very unprofessional. The online booking system rejected two credit cards, a call with my bank indicated their online system was at fault, and ran into similar issues booking by phone - before a umptieth time it finally went through. I've had quite a few cancellations before, that was not the issue, but this is the worst I have been treated as a passenger by any airline. The way it was handled - not responding or acknowledging my complaint, not even reading it and realizing there were 4 not 1 cancellations, and all the other things which went wrong indicating that the airline is unprofessional. It made me feel like I was nothing but a number in their system and they don't care at all about their passengers.
RouteSydney to Dhaka via Kuala Lumpur

"friendly and smiling"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Penang to Seoul via Kuala Lumpur. Check in time was short, check in counter staff was friendly, flights were on time, flight attendants were friendly and smiling, the food served were nicer than expected. The seat was comfortable to sit on, especially the seat on the KUL-ICN flight. There were a lot of movies in the in-flight entertainment.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / A330-300