Airline of the Year

Lufthansa

"required a visa to transit"

(Morocco)

Verified Review | I was due to fly from Marrakech to Istanbul today on Lufthansa and when I arrived at the check-in desk at Marrkech Airport they refused to allow me to check in, claiming that I required a visa to transit Frankfurt, despite the fact that Germany allows Transit Without Visa for Moroccan citizens and I had already transited Frankfurt on the same ticket with no problems when flying from Istanbul to Casablanca on Lufthansa just three weeks before. I phoned Lufthansa reservations and they told me that I was right and that I absolutely did not require a visa for a 1 hour transit and I should try to check in online instead, which I did sucessfully. However, the Swissport staff at the airport still refused to give me a boarding pass and allow me to board the flight. They claimed to have phoned German immigration in Algeria but refused to give the name of the person they had spoken to. Their refusal to check me in led me to miss my flight. They refused to provide anything in writing despite me asking several times. I wasted an enormous amount of time and money getting to Marrakech airport, paying for a hotel there, car rental and reserving accomodation in Istanbul. Lufthansa took my money and then refused to allow me to travel. It appears that buying a Lufthansa ticket is like a lottery ticket - maybe you will get to fly somewhere but maybe you will just be told "no" and then the ticket that you paid lots of money for becomes worthless. I recommend avoiding Lufthansa as it appears they don't care about connecting travellers and can leave you stranded at a whim even if you have the right documents for your destination.
RouteMarrakech to Istanbul via Frankfurt

"a significant delay"

Verified Review | Although a very comfortable flight from Munich to Amsterdam, we were unable to bring aboard any hand luggage due to the size of the aircraft. Hand luggage was promised to be returned at the aircraft upon landing. When we landed however we were instructed by airport staff to move to baggage claim without support from Lufthansa personnel (there was nobody from Lufthansa at the gate). A group of us decided to stay behind and eventually got our luggage from Lufthansa but this caused a significant delay which caused me to miss my train. The people who had to wait for their luggage at the baggage claim had an even longer delay since their baggage needed to be transferred.
RouteMunich to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2017

"onboard service was very good"

Verified Review | Business Class from Munich to Lisbon in an A321. Lufthansa's Business Class seats for flights within Europe are not especially different from the Economy Class seats. There's more leg room and the middle seat is left vacant to provide a little more space and privacy. These aircraft have no inflight entertainment. Boarding at MUC was orderly, onboard service was very good. Overall, a predictably Lufthansa experience.
RouteMunich to Lisbon

"efficiency and precision"

Verified Review | First Class from San Francisco to Munich in an A340-600. Lufthansa's onboard First Class service is a model of efficiency and precision. The hard product is very good on the A340-600 but not as good as the one on Lufthansa's A380. The lady flight attendant tending to me was outstanding in every respect, and it shows the training Lufthansa provides for its premium cabin staff. The overall experience is one of comfort and understated luxury. Topping it all was the superb First Class lounge in Munich. The only weak link in the chain was the rather mediocre United Global First lounge that Lufthansa uses at San Francisco. That could change when United unveils its Polaris First lounge soon.
AircraftA340-600
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Munich
Date FlownJune 2017

"Boarding at TLV was chaotic"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Seattle leg was A-OK. For the Tel Aviv to Frankfurt leg, I wrote up the seating separately (coach sold as business. Boarding at TLV was chaotic, no signage and unintelligible announcements. Boarding pass (printed at hotel) had gate deadline in large type but the baggage deadline was buried in the small print. The smartphone boarding pass is much better.
AircraftA321 / Boeing 747
RouteTLV to SEA via FRA
Date FlownJune 2017

"staff were quite friendly"

Verified Review | I haven't flown Lufthansa before so Vancouver-Zagreb was my first time. I knew that I had only 1 hr 15 mins in Frankfurt to catch the connecting flight to Zagreb. When they announced in Vancouver that the plane would be 45 minutes late, I was sure I wouldn't make it. However, in Frankfurt they had ground personnel waiting at the arrival gate and then transferring us directly to the connecting flight. This was very nice of them, especially since I had a car rental waiting on me in Zagreb, so it would be a lot of hassle to handle it if I were a few hours late. The flight from Vancouver to Frankfurt was enjoyable: comfortable seats, 2 meal services, and endless supplies of drinks in between. Had a lot of sleep time. The staff were quite friendly. The only complaint was that I couldn't use the inflight wifi on my iPhone at all, for some reason the website wouldn't load properly.
RouteVancouver to Zagreb via Frankfurt
Date FlownJune 2017

"Nothing to complain about"

Verified Review | Flew Munich to Mumbai with Lufthansa. A350 almost brand new, a few hours in the air, day 4 or 5 (something like that). Great service, great food, excellent choices, good wine menu. Excellent movie choice. Nothing to complain about to be honest. Crew well prepared, smiling, good service. Nothing to say a very good flight.
RouteMunich to Mumbai

"crew nice and polite"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Lisbon to Munich with Lufthansa. Good flight and kind, professional service. The usual for Business on a short connection flight. Reliable. Clean toilets, crew nice and polite. First row with extra leg space, flight on time.
RouteLisbon to Munich
Date FlownJune 2017

"the cabin crew were a delight"

Verified Review | Edinburgh to Beijing via Frankfurt. Lufthansa provided a real masterclass in customer service on our flights from Edinburgh to Bejing. All aircraft on our outbound and return journeys were spotlessly clean. On the A380 to and from Beijing, the cabin crew were a delight: friendly, attentive, and hard-working - treating economy customers as if they were as valued as first class customers. We did pay extra to sit in the upper cabin, but on check-in were moved to the lower cabin, but were quite happy as we were given seats by the exits with extra leg-room. The in-flight catering was superb - two good meals on a ten-hour flight and snacks, and frequent runs with juice, water and red or white wine, as well as a full bar service with each meal. Plenty of choice on the entertainment system, with the latest films. All flights departed and arrived on time. One of the few long-haul flights I have actually enjoyed.
AircraftA320/A380
RouteEdinburgh to Beijing via Frankfurt
Date FlownJune 2017

"Both flights were excellent"

Verified Review | I flew from Paris to Tbilisi via Munich. Both flights were excellent. The flight from Munich to Tbilisi is 3 hours and 30 minutes. The aircraft was clean and tidy. The cabin crew were attentive to passenger needs. As it was economy class, I should highlight that the meal was delicious and sufficient enough. Before landing, the crew members offered water as it was overnight flight and this was appreciated by passengers. Lufthansa is a great airline and I always consider flying them as the first choice.
AircraftEmbraer 195 and A320