Lion Air

"never fly this airline again"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bali to Jakarta. I will never fly this airline again. True to form Lion Air managed to be delayed both departing Jakarta for Bali, and returning. Not only were they delayed but there were last minute gate changes, in both directions, that had I not been keeping a close eye on we'd have missed the flight. For the return flight I received a text message, the day before departure, informing me that departure would no longer be 19.30, but 21.15. On arrival at the airport, after questioning Lion Air staff, I was told the flight was delayed by another two hours. When I mentioned compensation I was told we'd get a snack after a two-hour delay, a meal after a three-hour delay, and after four hours compensation of 300,000 IDR per person (+/- 20 USD). I thought he'd left a zero off the end. The flight finally took off at midnight. That means for a flight of 1.5 hours' duration, we were delayed 4.5 hours.
RouteBali to Jakarta

"it's always delayed"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Yogyakarta. All the times I've flown with Lion Air it's always delayed up to the point where I have expected that it's going to be late this time around. I was scheduled to board the plane at 5.55pm but the plane got delayed for who knows how long. I haven't heard on whether the plane has arrived or not and it's 7.20 pm now. The most baffling thing is that it's written on the general boarding screen that it's on schedule when it's definitely not. If you have no choice but to fly with Lion Air cause it's the only airline available, never make plans to arrive on time or it'll be ruined like how mine has been ruined. Oh well, lessons learned.
RouteJakarta to Yogyakarta
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Worst airline I have flown"

Trip Verified | Originally my flight from Bali to Jakarta was at 11:50am. Got an email saying they have changed the time to 1:10pm. My connecting flight to Singapore is at 4:15pm, cool still have time. Arrived at the airport around 10am. Flight has been delayed to 2:20pm. Still have time to catch my connecting flight. Didn’t board until 2:50. It’s currently 3:35pm and still waiting to board everyone now. I don’t think I’ll make it to my connecting flight. Worst airline I have flown with.
RouteBali to Jakarta

"30% of flights late"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Tarakan. Late Is Our Name is what Indonesians I've met call Lion Air. They claim a 70% on time performance score. I fly on them at least once or twice a month because I usually have no other option (like it or not, they have flights to more places than anyone else). How is it that easily 75% of the time I am in the 30% of flights that are late? They invariably claim operational reasons are behind the delays. What this often means is that they give the plane that was scheduled for your flight to another flight that was delayed. That way they can get away with giving passengers some bottled water and a bun for your 2-hour delay instead of forking over Rp.400000 to each passenger who would have been delayed for 4 hours on the other flight (as required by Indonesia's Passengers Bill of Rights law). Before serious penalties are incurred, they will then give someone else's airplane to your flight so that they won't have to pay you any money either. And these switches continue at that airport for hours until they get caught up or the day is finally over.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteJakarta to Tarakan
Date FlownAugust 2018

"yet another delayed flight"

Trip Verified | Waiting for yet another delayed flight. During our holiday we flew several times with Lion Air and almost every flight was delayed, rescheduled or altered. No problem, price is right you’d think but the annoying part is that they don’t communicate. You are kept guessing and waiting. No fun if you have a connecting flight ahead of you. Indonesian nickname is lying air. Locals usually are very laidback but if you care to see furious Indonesians, Lion Air can provide. Yep, once but never again.
RouteBanda Aceh to Batam via Medan

" would not recommend"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Lombok to Jakarta. Missed connection flight in Jakarta because plane delay in Lombok. Staff offered no help to try and catch connection. Doesn't want to compensate fees for missed flight. Says I must go back to Lombok to receive compensation. The only reason why we booked with Lion Air was because we had an emergency situation on our hands. Our original itinerary was to fly Denpasar to Incheon via Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines. When trying to get to back to Bali from the Gili Isles, our boat was cancelled due to rough seas so we were dropped off on Lombok. With no viable way to catch our flights out of either Denpasar or Kuala Lumpur, decided to book with Lion Air to Jakarta to try and catch a flight to Seoul. After booking, we repeatedly asked the staff if there would be a possibility that this flight would be delayed and their response was no. So we booked a separate connecting flight from Jakarta to Seoul. When it was time to board in Lombok, an announcement says that our flight is delayed 1.5 hours. We ask staff Lion Air staff if there is anything they can do to help us when we land in Jakarta to make sure we get to our connection and they just give us this certificate of delay paper. Fastforward to landing in Jakarta with 20 minutes until our connection leaves, no one seems to want to help us catch it. So we miss our connection and get stuck in Jakarta for 24 hours. Next morning we come back to Lion Air customer service to argue for some sort of compensation and manager tells me that if I want receive compensation for anything I would have to go back to the Lombok lion air desk to get it - same company so I don't see why they can't just handle my case in Jakarta. I would not recommend.
RouteLombok to Jakarta
Date FlownAugust 2018

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Densepar via Jakarta. Do not use this airline if you are a traveller and travelling to Bali from any destination. The airport staff made my partner and I book an outbound flight from Bali or would refuse us entry onto the plane. We told them that we were going to extend our visas by 30 days when we entered but they didn't listen or care. The check in was due to close and they sniggered at us across the room as we frantically tried to search for some cheap flights which we would never use. They cost us an extra 140 pounds. We have been trying to contact lion air customer care for days without a reply. Honestly the worst airline I have ever flown with. Avoid at all costs and pay the extra money for a better airline.
RouteSingapore to Densepar via Jakarta
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Operations seems to be in disarray"

Trip Verified | Rescheduled flight (Medan to Jakarta) 1 hour later, then another 2.5 hour delay. Lion Air is known to have constant flight delays, cancelations and forced reschedules. Operations seems to be in disarray.
RouteMedan to Jakarta
Date FlownJuly 2018

"no more Lion Air"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bali to Surabaya. First delay from 8PM to 10PM via SMS. Then, another delay from 10PM to 12AM. Ground crews only counted as 2 hours delayed since they claimed initial information has been given by SMS. When claiming for compensation, the crews were not professional at all; not telling any apology, joking at each others while serving customers and asked me to come back and forth to the counter since I had to bring 6 boxes of meal alone. It was the second chance I gave to this airline. No more Lion Air.
RouteBali to Surabaya
Date FlownJune 2018

"paying to have your luggage lost"

Trip Verified | For an airline that does the same routine flights several times every single day, you would think that they could get it right. Not asking for much but it would be nice to see my checked luggage that saw a total of 1.25 hours in total airtime between two flights and a three hour layover before the second flight to get my back pack from one airplane to the other one parked beside it, you would assume that it's not something you need to be able to split atoms for to get right. Furthermore, the logic of having to pay extra for overweight luggage and have it lost is astonishing. Nothing like paying to have your luggage lost by a company that does the same routine flights seven days a week dealing with everyone's luggage as well. It would be nice to see the employees actually care about these types of situations maybe by starting to make phone calls and send emails and giving you updates rather than play video games on their phones.
RouteLabuan Bajo to Lombok via Denpasar