Top 100 Airlines

LIAT

"little or no communication"

Verified Review | On 02/04/2016 I travelled from London Gatwick to Grenada via Barbados with LIAT. I was due to arrive in Grenada at about 9.20 pm on the same day. To make a long story short, LIAT delayed and eventually cancelled the Barbado to Grenada leg of the journey with no explanation whatsoever to any of its customers. We were placed in a hotel and left all day Sunday 03/04/2016. All efforts to find out when we would leave for Grenada were met with "we don't know" - even in Grenada my husband was told "we don't know". There was little or no communication - no agent consulted with us. It took 8 hours to get from London to Barbados and 48 hours to get from Barbados to Grenada and LIAT did not even say why the aircraft was delayed/cancelled. Shame on you LIAT, never again.
RouteLGW to GND via BGI
Date FlownApril 2016

"avoid flying on this airline"

(Saint Vincent and the Grenadines)

LIAT cancelled all its flights to Barbados on March 24th because of a 6-hour walkout of air traffic controllers. Though the strike ended at 1:00 pm and most other airlines simply put their flights on hold until the short industrial action ended, LIAT took the easy and economical way out by parking up all their Barbados destined planes. The rationale for this is clear: since the flights were all paid for in advance, there was no business downside. On the upside, cancelling the flights to Barbados meant that many international passengers who have no intention to flying on LIAT during the 12-month period cancelled flights can be rebooked would have to find alternate routes to Barbados or elsewhere, most of which consist of very expensive semi-charter flights using SVGAir or Mystique Airways. Since LIAT never offers refunds, even if the choice to fly or not is made on spurious grounds, this means that they get to keep the monies already paid while being able to sell the "surplus" seat again. During high demand times between November and April, LIAT continues to accept excess and over-weight baggage at a large extra cost - unlike many international carriers - knowing that this will feed its bottom line even if it results in non-excess baggage left behind at the main international hubs in Antigua and Barbados. If you possibly can, avoid flying on this airline.
RouteSVD to BGI
Date FlownMarch 2016

"no one explained the delay"

LIAT flight was scheduled to leave St. Thomas at 1430 and arrive in Saint Martin at 1515, but the plane was still on the ground two airports behind schedule. TSA would not allow us into the waiting area so we found another lounge. We finally left St. Thomas at 1800, 3.5 hours late, and no one explained the reason for the delay. The crew normally ends work at 1800 but had 3 more landings to make.
AircraftATR 72 600
RouteSTT to SXM

"should be closed down"

St Martin to Antigua. This airline should be closed down until it can offer something resembling the service it promises. Our flight from St Martin due to leave at 1350 and shown as on time. 1350 came and went and the flight disappeared from the boards, it suddenly appeared an hour later and left at 1520. This experience is good compared to many, but it shows me that this airline can't be trusted.
RouteSXM to ANU

"delayed even further"

Barbados to Ogle (Georgetown) with LIAT. We were delayed until from 5.40 to 8.10 and there was no explanation, then we boarded the aircraft and sit for 1 hr. After the aircraft was in the air we were told the bags were offloaded and that we were going to St Lucia to make a stop - then I was told in st Lucia that we were delayed even further!
RouteBGO to OGL
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"may never see luggage again"

Warning - if you plan to take LIAT only bring a carry-on or you may never see your luggage again. I flew with LIAT from St. Vincent to Barbados where I had my layover to Toronto with WestJet on December 28th 2015. When I arrived in Barbados I was informally informed that my luggage had never made it onto the plane, but it was confirmed to me that it would be on the next LIAT plane to Barbados where it would be loaded onto WestJet. January 17th 2016, almost a month later, it is officially lost. LIAT apparently sent it to Barbados but had not written any paperwork to track it. I have my travel agent trying to track it done but I have heard nothing about it. No compensation from LIAT offered. I just want my stuff back. It's been an exhausting few weeks of trying to chase this airline that shows no apparent care for their responsibility. Would not recommend them.
RouteSVD to BGO
Date FlownDecember 2015

"be warned of this airline"

Our LIAT Barbados to Grenada flight on 3 January 2016 was to leave at 12.30 and arrive less than an hour later. First it was announced as 'on time'. Then we were told that there will be a delay and another announcement was to follow in 30 minutes. The waiting hall then changed. The new ground staff told me that the plane would come from St Vincent and had not even left Kingstown airport. Another announcement would be made in 45 minutes. Luckily I did not trust this information, it seemed to be made up. After 20 minutes boarding began. Nobody was able to tell passengers, whether their suitcases were on board, which is either a sign of ignorance or the lack of any reliable computer system (which is worrying these days). Half way to Grenada, stewardesses told us that the crew was tired; it had come to the limits of their statutory flight time, and therefore the flight had to be diverted to Port of Spain, Trinidad (and this was not know to the crew before departure?). Almost all passengers wanted to go to Grenada. Why not change the crew in Barbados or Port of Spain and use the same plane? It turned out that we had to find places on other flights, and there was no seat on any by LIAT. No arrangement existed with Caribbean Airlines, but we were placed on their flight after 9 pm. No LIAT agent took care of us. First everybody said something different, then it was left to a young lady - lowest in the hierarchy - to solve this, and she tried hard. It was not her fault. The flight took from 12.30 to 22.00, and all LIAT provided was a food voucher of $US8 - paying just for a succulent burger. Be warned of this airline. I would say: never again. but the problem is that there is often no alternative. LIAT gets funding from island governments and has no competition. Only the latter will bring changes.
RouteBGI to GND
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"waiting to be reunited with luggage"

There were three couples travelling between Sandals resorts in St Lucia and Antigua on the 07.50 Liat flight, this was a one hour hop between islands. On arriving at St Lucia airport, we found the check in queue was very very slow moving. Once we checked in it was announced at the flight was delayed by an hour this finally ended up 1.25 hours late. On reaching Antigua we were all waiting for our luggage and strangely each couple only received one piece of luggage and each of us had one piece missing, what are the odds on that happening, I say a million to one. The guy from the baggage handling company appeared at the luggage belt and informed us that there was no more luggage coming in and that the missing luggage had been left at St Lucia because there wasn't enough luggage space in the hold. We were all promised that our luggage would be on the next flight and at our hotel by 18.00 that day. This never happened and at this time we are still waiting to be reunited with our luggage. It seems that Liat are picking on the Tourist customer and systematically holding back one piece of luggage from each couple it is very strange that not one of the local customers had any luggage missing.
RouteUVF to ANU

"LIAT never again"

We scheduled a 4-day vacation on the island of St Kitts in January 2016 and boarded LIAT Airlines flight LI310 from St Lucia to Antigua early on 2 January 2016 to connect to a flight to St Kits (LI312) 3 hours later on the same day. After arriving in Antigua, LIAT announced that this onward flight had been delayed but further information would be provided. However, all reference to this flight soon disappeared from the display boards at the Antigua International Airport and the few LIAT agents that sporadically appeared in the public areas were unable or unwilling to provide any information, curtly brushing us off with unhelpful and cynical responses. Finally, late that afternoon LIAT finally announced cancellation of flight LI312 and transported us to the Royal Antiguan Resort, a decaying hotel near the city of St John. After waiting there for most of the following day without any information whatsoever we realized we were unlikely to reach St Kitts with enough time to enjoy our brief time there. We abandoned our vacation, cut our losses and requested a flight back to our starting point. Next day, Monday 4 January, LIAT flew us back to St Lucia. Sorry St Kitts, LIAT made sure you did not get our business! As for LIAT as a means of getting around the Caribbean - never again.
AircraftATR 42 / Dash 8
RouteUVF to SKB via ANU
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"LIAT don't even try any more"

(Barbados)

We need competition! LIAT don't even try any more. Last month I had a 26hr delay (they took us to hotel and woke us at 5am) and then that flight was also delayed. Now They just cancelled my St Maarten flight and 6 hours I have to wait to go through St Kitts and get there after 8:30pm not 2pm. What I hate is that no one is to blame. Operational issues is all they say, and then the manger confessed "I don't know why they cancelled flight, no one tells me anything".
RouteBarbados to St Maarten