LIAT

"All staff interactions were great"

Trip Verified | Flew Bridgetown to Georgetown. Everyone mocks LIAT but nothing to complain about. Flight left on time at 1945. All staff interactions were great. No one seated beside me helped as the ATR is a disgustingly cramped plane. Flight attendant came back with a full can of Coke when asked and announcements from the flight deck were exceptional. On arrival bags arrived quickly and it wasn't LIAT's fault that the Customs people were so laughably thorough. If LIAT kept this up they wouldn't be mocked.
AircraftATR
RouteBridgetown to Georgetown
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"one of the most poorly run airlines"

Trip Verified | Grenada to Port of Spain. LIAT is one of the most poorly run airlines I've encountered. Our flight was delayed in Grenada, but still showed as "on time" on the display board at the airport even though it was 30 minutes past the scheduled departure times. We were given no explanation or estimate as to when the flight might depart. In fact, there were no airline employees anywhere to be seen at the gate. It would have been nice if they would have had someone come offer to help expedite checking in for connecting flights in Port of Spain. The airport closes the check-in counters quite far in advance of flight times and getting through immigration and customs is slow. Our flight ended up leaving about an hour late. The aircraft crew were the only professional part of the experience. Upon arrival in Port of Spain, the hour delay made it impossible to check in for my connecting flight, even though I found a customs agent willing to help expedite me through a rather lengthy line. I met a fellow passenger in the same situation as me, and we realized we had basically just been left stranded in a foreign airport with no idea how to resolve our situation. There were no Liat agents at the ticket counter to consult with about rebooking the flight or booking accommodations. A local Trinidian resident noticed we were seemed lost and offered to help, but didn't know what to do. A random baggage handler (not affiliated with Liat) noticed that myself and the other passenger seemed a bit lost and distressed and offered to call and see if a Liat agent was available. One finally showed up at the counter, but then refused to provide any compensation or explanation for the delay. He just played with his mobile phone and gave a half smile whenever I tred to interact with him. He told several other passengers he would leave a note for the connecting airlines representative (who also was not available) and we should have seats on the same flight 24 hours later. No confirmation of the booking, hotel vouchers, or food vouchers were provided. I rebooked the flight myself to ensure that I would have a seat the next day. The lack of customer service from the ground operation of Liat both in Grenada and Port of Spain was appalling. I will be rebooking my return flight through another carrier even if I have to eat the cost of the Liat ticket.
AircraftATR 72-600
RouteGrenada to Port of Spain
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I was very pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Trinidad to Barbados. I was planning a long weekend with friends in Trinidad. I live (mostly) in Barbados but also in London, UK. I'd been umming and aahhing between LIAT and Caribbean Airlines and I checked out the reviews for LIAT which are definitely not good. I regularly fly between Barbados and Jamaica via Caribbean Airlines, which involves a stop/transit through Trinidad and my transit experiences have not been good. Delays, cancellations etc. One time arriving in Barbados at around 3.00a.m. instead of the scheduled 9.45m and anyone who knows Piarco airport would agree that it has to be the most soulless airport ever, no information is given, few places to eat, get a coffee etc. Piarco departure lounge is BRUTAL. In the end, I decided on Caribbean Airlines for my outward bound flight and LIAT for my return. I rationalised that if the CA flight due to depart at around 8.45 was late, I could spend hours there, whereas if I took the afternoon LIAT fight, even with cancellations, that I stood a reasonably good chance of arriving in Barbados before midnight. As it happens, luck seemed to have been on my side. LIAT reviews are full of tales of delays cancellations, rude staff wtc. I'm happy to say that this was not my experience. The flight departed 5 minutes later than its scheduled 2.35 pm time slot,, which in aviation/airline term is not at all late, and got me into Barbados within the hour. All staff were pleasant and helpful as needed. We were served a beverage, which CA did not offer on the outward bound journey. Flight was pleasant, seats were reasonably comfortable, pilot/captain kept us informed, and I really liked their inflight magazine. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised, because as I said LIAT has very poor reviews and everyone that I had consulted prior to booking had warned me off LIAT. As I say, I may just have been very fortunate, but for this flight at least, everything went well, and if LIAT could maintain this standard, I would happily fly LIAT again, even though I'm a confirmed CA fan!
RouteTrinidad to Barbados
Date FlownMay 2017

"They have no shame"

Verified Review | Bridgetown to Marigot. We arrived from New York to Bridgetown and at 9 am was supposed to leave our flight with LIAT to Dominica. Until 11 am the crew didn't informed us that the flight was cancelled. The comunication was very vague and only if we asked. They put us in a flight at 6:45 pm. Was another flight at 2 pm but they told us it was full. They wouldn't allow us to leave the airport having to stay 12 hours there. At 6 pm without any comunication from the Company, asking around we figured out that half of the people in our morning flight left in the flight of 2 pm and that our 6:45 pm flight was delayed or cancelled again. Finally at 9 pm we flew to Dominica arriving at 10 pm. People had to book another hotel. Our taxi driver was not waiting us anymore because we were supposed to arrive at 10 am.Previous night without sleeping and we were stocked in the airport in Barbados 14 hours. They have no shame. The worst experience in my life.
RouteBridgetown to Marigot
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"rude, uninterested staff"

Verified Review | Barbados to Antigua with LIAT. All airlines can have technical issues but it takes Liats poorly trained, inefficient, rude, uninterested staff to make a travelling problem into a nightmare. We have a 10 hour delay and cancelled flight with no information given and staff that neither care to be at work nor help there customers to contend with. I have flown with many airlines all around the world over 40 years of travelling and visited 130 countries and this is the first time I have ever written about the experience.
RouteBarbados to Antigua
Date FlownApril 2017

"inefficient, uncaring"

Verified Review | Tortola to Barbados. Do not fly with LIAT if you have other connecting flights. A 3 hour delay in Tortola with not one apology or explanation which led to us missing our flight from Barbados to the UK. We thought a 4 hour gap in Barbados left us plenty of time but we reckoned without the super inefficient, uncaring LIAT. Lazy ground staff in Antigua failed to warn Barbados staff of the extremely tight turnaround thanks to the late flight and they in turn did not advise our connecting airline - which closed the desk without us. Left in the airport till midnight, transferred to poor quality hotel and basically abandoned. Just had to fork out again for flights that are now expensive and not direct. Very unhappy. Do not fly with them if you have alternatives. They need to learn to look after their customers.
RouteTortola to Barbados
Date FlownMarch 2017

"perfectly okay experience with LIAT"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Antigua to Barbados. Just in the interests of balance (since nearly all the reviews here are highly critical, and probably with good foundation since we heard only negative things about this airline whilst in the Caribbean), I'd like to say that we had a perfectly okay experience with LIAT. Our first flight was unplanned - we got re-routed to Puerto Rico and bought a ticket on the spot to Antigua. This flight left 15 minutes early and arrived 15 minutes early - absolutely fine. Our flight Antigua to Barbados arrived 30 minutes late, and our return (BGI-ANU) was totally on time. All baggage collection and return was very smooth, though they were quite strict concerning weight of checked and unchecked bags. In-flight service is minimal (a soft drink, but then flights are mostly short hops) but staff were pleasant in the air and on the ground. So, we'd fly them again without problem.
AircraftATR 72
RouteAntigua to Barbados
Date FlownMarch 2017

"clearly needs competition"

Verified Review | Flew from Barbados to St Martin via Antigua. Flight to Antigua no problems but transfer from Antigua to st Martin was a joke! Cancelled flight with no direction from staff at airport. Poor staff being given hassle, found out same flight cancelled yesterday as well and other reports continued cancellations. Shocking service and a disgrace. This airline clearly needs competition.
RouteBGI to SXM via ANU
Date FlownNovember 2016

"LIAT is very disorganised"

(Barbados)

Bridgetown to Dominica. LIAT is the worst airline - never on time. Delayed for 2 to 3 hours everytime I fly with them. If you can avoid flying with them please do. Once after being delayed for 3 hours, in the middle of the flight they announced they wouldn't be landing in the first country due to technical difficuilties they are proceeding to the next country. Fair enough. 23 passangers including I, had to stay until the next morning for the next avilable flight. The rooms of the hotel in which we stayed were hot and uncomfortable with very poor service. LIAT is very disorganised.
RouteBGI to DOM
Date FlownNovember 2016

"disgusted with the service"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

I have never experienced such poor service, disdain and discourtesy from any industry. I travelled to St. Vincent in June 2016, My return flight which was carded the 19th June 2016 was cancelled and I was only informed of that when I went to check in on that date. The discourteous and disrespectful staff member walked to the Lobby and simply said that the flight was cancelled and LIAT was not responsible for our accommodation and transportation. I managed to get a return flight the next morning. LIAT you have messed up my daughter's wedding plans as I cannot be there. After an hour and a half delay, my flight on the 11th November 2016, was cancelled at approximately 10.45 pm. I think because LIAT have the monopoly on this route, they are taking advantage of your passengers. They have no problems accepting my money, at least deliver a good service. My experience with the Trinidad staff has been very courtesy, but some of the St. Vincent staff, their attitude leaves much to be desired. I hope that when the new airport opens in St. Vincent, that the competition LIAT get is more than enough to give a good wake up call. I am disgusted with the service of LIAT.
RoutePOS to SVD