Top 100 Airlines

LIAT

"8hrs sitting at that airport"

(British Virgin Islands)

My first encounter with LIAT was January 2014 when I was about to take up residency and work in the BVI. The employers asked that I purchase a one-way ticket for which they planned to reimburse but I was met with difficulty in doing so, even though I provided all the necessary proof of my reason for travelling. I was forced to buy a return ticket with promise that the airline would put up the balance as credit on my next flight (with a year to use it) however I had to pay $31. from this balance have this done. I didn't travel again until a year and a half later so I lost my money. My second encounter was July 2015 when I was returning from SVG, with my son. Our flight was supposed to be 3:15pm I never left the airport till 6:30pm but not before being switched to 3 different flights with 3 different sets of boarding passes, no proper explanation and some how they forgot to switch our luggage. It was not until I was waiting by the luggage wheel for how long until I realized I was luggage-less. I reported this filled the necessary paper work and they promise to contact me which they never did. It was up to me to make calls all of the time to follow up on my suitcases. After 3 days of hell and having to buy clothes for my son, I finally received a call to say my luggage had arrived in Tortola. My next experience was in November 2015 when I travelled to Barbados for a visa appointment with intent to return home the following day. On my way back I was left at St Kitts airport at 2:35pm to await a connecting flight. I remained at that airport until 9:45pm with steady announcements that the flight was delayed until finally an announcement asked that the passengers return to the check in desk downstairs. I was then told that my flight out would be after 6pm the next day and that transportation would take me to and from a hotel. Arriving at the hotel where there was no pre-arrangements for accommodations and had to wait hours for this to be verified. Thanks to LIAT for the $30 voucher for meal. So I was scheduled to work the next afternoon shift and so had to be calling my supervisor to get a shift exchange with a coworker so I wouldn't go down as absent. My next encounter was August 2015 when my son was returning home. His flight was cancelled due to weather condition, a fair reason. Next morning I show up at the airport and was told my son couldn't check in because they have to deal with the other passengers whose flights were not affected by the cancellations the day before and that my son could not get a flight out until the next 5 days. This I think was ridiculous and I actually had to quarrel to get some information or I would have sat there all day without getting any. In February this year I travelled to SVG again, on my return date I got to the airport from which I live many miles away only to be told my flight would be late and I would miss my connecting flight from Barbados and that I would have to return home and travel the next day. Hello, what's the use of providing contact info when no one bothers to use them to update you about changes? My most recent encounter was last month when my 13 yr old son was returning to SVG. Got to the airport at 11:00am to check in for a 12:45pm flight, and spent 8hrs sitting at that airport before 1 single LIAT plane landed at that airport. Fortunately my son got home after 1am next morning without any overnights and I was grateful. Travelling again next 3wks, better service please.
RouteSVD to EIS
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"luggage was removed from the flight"

Verified Review | The flight from St. Vincent to Trinidad was delayed and our luggage was removed from the flight with no information given. We arrived almost three hours later and our luggage was never placed back on the flight. When we inquired about our luggage there was no reason or response given. We explained that we were traveling the next morning and they were of no help. The luggage did not arrive on time the next day and we had to purchase other items as we were traveling with small children. I hope to never have to use their services again.
RouteSVD to POS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"treat the public with disdain"

Originally flew into Barbados 22.8.16 to pick up LIAT flight to St Vincent that same evening, got through security to be told flight cancelled and we could either travel without luggage or stay overnight in Barbados, we chose the latter and flew out the next day. After a brilliant wedding and holiday we returned to E T Joshua 5.9.16 for a 15:40 flight to Barbados to meet connection at 19:25. Flight delayed and connection missed. No apology from LIAT and other members of my party still in Barbados waiting on standby. No apologies no explanations. Poor very poor. Until Argyle international completed and running we will not return to the beautiful islands of St Vincent and the Grenadines. One highlight was a friendly and helpful member of staff who wheeled my step mother through the airport and tried to go find a manager buy with no success. LIAT are causing much tourism to be lost. Once again very poor that one airline has the monopoly and feel they can treat the public with disdain and putting strain on crew and front desk staff who take the brunt of our complaints and seem to have learnt to shrug them off with the standard 'you just have to wait'. St Vincent and the other affected islands need to do something. Enough is enough.
RouteSVD to BGO via UVF
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"LIAT is awful"

Verified Review | San Juan to St Kitts. LIAT is awful. My husband and I checked in for a 6am flight, they sent our bags down the chute and then said come back in 7 hours - flight delayed! We came back, board showed no more changes, got through nightmare TSA line and then delayed 7 more hours! I had our bags pulled, cancelled our reservations as our vacation was disappearing - LIAT did not acknowledge their problem for another 24 hours! They promised to refund our ticket price. Every email says the refund is coming - no refund. Value for the money=zero.
RouteSJU to SKB

"utterly disgraceful"

Barbados to St Vincent with LIAT. What can I say that many people havent already said? I do a lot of travelling for work and LIAT is the worst airline I have ever flown with. LIAT is rotten to the core and this filters down to the staff. This is what happens when there is no competition from other airlines. Owners don't care and neither doe the staff. What LIAT doesn't realise is that St Vincent (like many other Caribbean islands) rely on tourism and the experience tourist receive from LIAT will determine whether they return. Shame on you LIAT, shame on the owners, shame on the government for not having any competition and shame on the staff, utterly disgraceful.
RouteBGI to SVD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"4 flights, only 1 on time"

Verified Review | Beef Island to San Juan via Antigua. My husband and I flew LIAT for the first and last time. We had 4 flights over 2 weeks and only 1 was on time. Unfortunately, the on time flight connected to a flight that was 4 hours late which meant we spent 6 rather than 2 hours in Antigua during which time we only had announcements that the flight was delayed and a further notice would be forthcoming in 45 minutes. There were no LIAT personnel in the gate area who could give any information. I was very grateful that we were not connecting to another flight in San Juan until the next day. Our other 2 flights were 2.5 and 1.5 hours late and again I was very grateful that we were not under any time constraints. Our first taxi driver told us that LIAT stands for Leave Island Any Time and they lived up to their reputation.
RouteEIS to SJU via ANU
Date FlownJuly 2016

"deliver the worst service"

Barbados to Guyana with LIAT. What a disaster - they take your money and deliver the worst service ever. Boarded our flight in Barbados to Guyana and they took our hand luggage away at the bottom of the stairs as we boarded the plane. We arrived in Guyana 4 hours later to find our hand luggage and suitcase has been left behind, you don’t know where nor do the staff in Guyana. You then have to join a queue with all the other passengers from the same flight in the same predicament. What terrible service. There is a number to call but there is no one answering the phone, the staff must be inundated as we find out on our return to the airport for the next 4 days nearly every passenger who arrived in the month on May had the same problem - missing hand luggage and suitcases. My luggage arrived 3 days later and my hand luggage arrived 6 days later. I had left my contact details with LIAT for any updates - I somehow did not expect any service.
RouteBGI to GEO
Date FlownJune 2016

"no trust and confidence in LIAT "

Verified Review | I was part of a group of 3 people travelling to St Lucia from London. Upon arrival at SLU, we immediately checked in our luggage for our flight to Barbados. We arrived at the airport at 18:30 for the flight that was supposed to depart at 19:35. We went through the security gate and started waiting for our flight. By 19:35 there was still no plane in sight. After waiting for an extra hour, finally a member of staff announced that the flight was delayed. So we were given a new departure time and asked to leave the gate. After a couple of hours, we went back to the gate, but the plane was still missing. We kept waiting quietly without having any information or help from the staff. Finally after a wait of over 5 hours, the plane arrived and we boarded. 15 minutes after we boarded the plane, the pilot announced that the flight to Barbados was cancelled and he asked us to disembark. We got off the plane and started queuing at the check-in desk for the re-issue of our booking and to be sent to a hotel for that night's accommodation. It will be helpful to let you know that by this point it was past midnight. As there was no room for the 7am flight, we were given 10:55 flight the next day. The situation had already messed up our arrangements in Barbados as we were planning to meet the rental agency for car pick-up and the landlady for our house. I had to contact them multiple times throughout the night to keep them up-to-date on our situation. After the long and tedious work at the LIAT counters, the cars came to pick us up to drive us to the hotel. We were given a hotel at Rodney Bay. I think the location and the dire state of the hotel we were given is the subject of another discussion, so I will let this pass. By the time we were in our rooms (around 2am I believe), we were exhausted, angry, disappointed and totally frustrated. We had already lost a day from our Barbados holiday which was in return wasted on airport seats. Nevertheless, without losing hope, we left our hotel at 930 the next morning and arrived at the airport to catch the 10:55 flight. Upon arrival, as we were checking in our luggage, we were told that the flight had delayed for at least 2 hours, which would push our arrival to past 2pm. At that point, we made the disheartening decision to cancel our flight (and our Barbados holiday) all together. We had no trust and confidence left in LIAT as it was impossible to believe the LIAT staff about the true time of the flight or if it would ever in fact depart. For these reasons, we decided to cancel our flight and find a place to stay in St Lucia instead. Thanks to this experience, we had a horrible start to our holiday. We wasted hours at a tiny airport, stayed at a low-budget hotel, and had to arrange last minute transport and accommodation due to the changes in our plans.
RouteSLU to BGI
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"crew not friendly"

Barbados to Grenada with LIAT. Our outward evening flight was delayed by 50 mins but was uneventful and our luggage arrived with us. The crew were not friendly. Our return flight to Barbados departed 5 minutes early and we were served soft drinks. Our luggage arrived with us. Again the crew were not friendly. Having read through many reviews from LIAT I think we had a lucky experience all round.
AircraftATR72-600
RouteBGI to GND
Date FlownApril 2016

"uneventful flights"

I had two straightforward, uneventful flights with LIAT on 11th April 2016. The ANU to BGI flight was about fifteen minutes late and the BGI to DOM flight was about half an hour late. Check-in at V C Bird was quick and efficient, while luggage was delivered promptly at Grantley Adams. Then, check-in at Grantley Adams was also quick and efficient, while luggage was delivered very quickly at Melville Hall. From getting off the plane at Melville Hall to leaving the airport took no more than twenty minutes. Staff on the ground at all three airports were highly professional and very polite, and the same can be said of the cabin crew on both flights. If LIAT could replicate these standards on all their flights, then there would be little to complain about.
RouteANU to DOM via BGI