Airline of the Year

LIAT

"I was very pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Trinidad to Barbados. I was planning a long weekend with friends in Trinidad. I live (mostly) in Barbados but also in London, UK. I'd been umming and aahhing between LIAT and Caribbean Airlines and I checked out the reviews for LIAT which are definitely not good. I regularly fly between Barbados and Jamaica via Caribbean Airlines, which involves a stop/transit through Trinidad and my transit experiences have not been good. Delays, cancellations etc. One time arriving in Barbados at around 3.00a.m. instead of the scheduled 9.45m and anyone who knows Piarco airport would agree that it has to be the most soulless airport ever, no information is given, few places to eat, get a coffee etc. Piarco departure lounge is BRUTAL. In the end, I decided on Caribbean Airlines for my outward bound flight and LIAT for my return. I rationalised that if the CA flight due to depart at around 8.45 was late, I could spend hours there, whereas if I took the afternoon LIAT fight, even with cancellations, that I stood a reasonably good chance of arriving in Barbados before midnight. As it happens, luck seemed to have been on my side. LIAT reviews are full of tales of delays cancellations, rude staff wtc. I'm happy to say that this was not my experience. The flight departed 5 minutes later than its scheduled 2.35 pm time slot,, which in aviation/airline term is not at all late, and got me into Barbados within the hour. All staff were pleasant and helpful as needed. We were served a beverage, which CA did not offer on the outward bound journey. Flight was pleasant, seats were reasonably comfortable, pilot/captain kept us informed, and I really liked their inflight magazine. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised, because as I said LIAT has very poor reviews and everyone that I had consulted prior to booking had warned me off LIAT. As I say, I may just have been very fortunate, but for this flight at least, everything went well, and if LIAT could maintain this standard, I would happily fly LIAT again, even though I'm a confirmed CA fan!
RouteTrinidad to Barbados
Date FlownMay 2017

"They have no shame"

Verified Review | Bridgetown to Marigot. We arrived from New York to Bridgetown and at 9 am was supposed to leave our flight with LIAT to Dominica. Until 11 am the crew didn't informed us that the flight was cancelled. The comunication was very vague and only if we asked. They put us in a flight at 6:45 pm. Was another flight at 2 pm but they told us it was full. They wouldn't allow us to leave the airport having to stay 12 hours there. At 6 pm without any comunication from the Company, asking around we figured out that half of the people in our morning flight left in the flight of 2 pm and that our 6:45 pm flight was delayed or cancelled again. Finally at 9 pm we flew to Dominica arriving at 10 pm. People had to book another hotel. Our taxi driver was not waiting us anymore because we were supposed to arrive at 10 am.Previous night without sleeping and we were stocked in the airport in Barbados 14 hours. They have no shame. The worst experience in my life.
RouteBridgetown to Marigot
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"rude, uninterested staff"

Verified Review | Barbados to Antigua with LIAT. All airlines can have technical issues but it takes Liats poorly trained, inefficient, rude, uninterested staff to make a travelling problem into a nightmare. We have a 10 hour delay and cancelled flight with no information given and staff that neither care to be at work nor help there customers to contend with. I have flown with many airlines all around the world over 40 years of travelling and visited 130 countries and this is the first time I have ever written about the experience.
RouteBarbados to Antigua
Date FlownApril 2017

"inefficient, uncaring"

Verified Review | Tortola to Barbados. Do not fly with LIAT if you have other connecting flights. A 3 hour delay in Tortola with not one apology or explanation which led to us missing our flight from Barbados to the UK. We thought a 4 hour gap in Barbados left us plenty of time but we reckoned without the super inefficient, uncaring LIAT. Lazy ground staff in Antigua failed to warn Barbados staff of the extremely tight turnaround thanks to the late flight and they in turn did not advise our connecting airline - which closed the desk without us. Left in the airport till midnight, transferred to poor quality hotel and basically abandoned. Just had to fork out again for flights that are now expensive and not direct. Very unhappy. Do not fly with them if you have alternatives. They need to learn to look after their customers.
RouteTortola to Barbados
Date FlownMarch 2017

"perfectly okay experience with LIAT"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Antigua to Barbados. Just in the interests of balance (since nearly all the reviews here are highly critical, and probably with good foundation since we heard only negative things about this airline whilst in the Caribbean), I'd like to say that we had a perfectly okay experience with LIAT. Our first flight was unplanned - we got re-routed to Puerto Rico and bought a ticket on the spot to Antigua. This flight left 15 minutes early and arrived 15 minutes early - absolutely fine. Our flight Antigua to Barbados arrived 30 minutes late, and our return (BGI-ANU) was totally on time. All baggage collection and return was very smooth, though they were quite strict concerning weight of checked and unchecked bags. In-flight service is minimal (a soft drink, but then flights are mostly short hops) but staff were pleasant in the air and on the ground. So, we'd fly them again without problem.
AircraftATR 72
RouteAntigua to Barbados
Date FlownMarch 2017

"clearly needs competition"

Verified Review | Flew from Barbados to St Martin via Antigua. Flight to Antigua no problems but transfer from Antigua to st Martin was a joke! Cancelled flight with no direction from staff at airport. Poor staff being given hassle, found out same flight cancelled yesterday as well and other reports continued cancellations. Shocking service and a disgrace. This airline clearly needs competition.
RouteBGI to SXM via ANU
Date FlownNovember 2016

"LIAT is very disorganised"

(Barbados)

Bridgetown to Dominica. LIAT is the worst airline - never on time. Delayed for 2 to 3 hours everytime I fly with them. If you can avoid flying with them please do. Once after being delayed for 3 hours, in the middle of the flight they announced they wouldn't be landing in the first country due to technical difficuilties they are proceeding to the next country. Fair enough. 23 passangers including I, had to stay until the next morning for the next avilable flight. The rooms of the hotel in which we stayed were hot and uncomfortable with very poor service. LIAT is very disorganised.
RouteBGI to DOM
Date FlownNovember 2016

"disgusted with the service"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

I have never experienced such poor service, disdain and discourtesy from any industry. I travelled to St. Vincent in June 2016, My return flight which was carded the 19th June 2016 was cancelled and I was only informed of that when I went to check in on that date. The discourteous and disrespectful staff member walked to the Lobby and simply said that the flight was cancelled and LIAT was not responsible for our accommodation and transportation. I managed to get a return flight the next morning. LIAT you have messed up my daughter's wedding plans as I cannot be there. After an hour and a half delay, my flight on the 11th November 2016, was cancelled at approximately 10.45 pm. I think because LIAT have the monopoly on this route, they are taking advantage of your passengers. They have no problems accepting my money, at least deliver a good service. My experience with the Trinidad staff has been very courtesy, but some of the St. Vincent staff, their attitude leaves much to be desired. I hope that when the new airport opens in St. Vincent, that the competition LIAT get is more than enough to give a good wake up call. I am disgusted with the service of LIAT.
RoutePOS to SVD
Date FlownJune 2016

"airline is not reliable"

LIAT pretty much has a monopoly between the eastern Caribbean / West Indies so if you travel between islands via air, you're likely going to experience LIAT. I flew from Barbados to St Vincent and the flight left 2 hours early - really. Then flew from from St Vincent to Dominica - the flight left 2 hours late and sat on the tarmac without air conditioning for at least an hour - and everybody was drenched in sweat and miserable, and then my bags didn't make it - none of them. They were delivered to the hotel the next day by a LIAT contracted driver who wanted a tip for delivering the bags. I then flew from Dominica to St Kitts - and that was 2 hours late again. Bottom line is that this airline is not reliable, has a monopoly and knows it - I think I'd rather take a boat, but it's what is there - I don't like it, but it is what it is.
RouteSVD to UVF
Date FlownOctober 2016

"8hrs sitting at that airport"

(British Virgin Islands)

My first encounter with LIAT was January 2014 when I was about to take up residency and work in the BVI. The employers asked that I purchase a one-way ticket for which they planned to reimburse but I was met with difficulty in doing so, even though I provided all the necessary proof of my reason for travelling. I was forced to buy a return ticket with promise that the airline would put up the balance as credit on my next flight (with a year to use it) however I had to pay $31. from this balance have this done. I didn't travel again until a year and a half later so I lost my money. My second encounter was July 2015 when I was returning from SVG, with my son. Our flight was supposed to be 3:15pm I never left the airport till 6:30pm but not before being switched to 3 different flights with 3 different sets of boarding passes, no proper explanation and some how they forgot to switch our luggage. It was not until I was waiting by the luggage wheel for how long until I realized I was luggage-less. I reported this filled the necessary paper work and they promise to contact me which they never did. It was up to me to make calls all of the time to follow up on my suitcases. After 3 days of hell and having to buy clothes for my son, I finally received a call to say my luggage had arrived in Tortola. My next experience was in November 2015 when I travelled to Barbados for a visa appointment with intent to return home the following day. On my way back I was left at St Kitts airport at 2:35pm to await a connecting flight. I remained at that airport until 9:45pm with steady announcements that the flight was delayed until finally an announcement asked that the passengers return to the check in desk downstairs. I was then told that my flight out would be after 6pm the next day and that transportation would take me to and from a hotel. Arriving at the hotel where there was no pre-arrangements for accommodations and had to wait hours for this to be verified. Thanks to LIAT for the $30 voucher for meal. So I was scheduled to work the next afternoon shift and so had to be calling my supervisor to get a shift exchange with a coworker so I wouldn't go down as absent. My next encounter was August 2015 when my son was returning home. His flight was cancelled due to weather condition, a fair reason. Next morning I show up at the airport and was told my son couldn't check in because they have to deal with the other passengers whose flights were not affected by the cancellations the day before and that my son could not get a flight out until the next 5 days. This I think was ridiculous and I actually had to quarrel to get some information or I would have sat there all day without getting any. In February this year I travelled to SVG again, on my return date I got to the airport from which I live many miles away only to be told my flight would be late and I would miss my connecting flight from Barbados and that I would have to return home and travel the next day. Hello, what's the use of providing contact info when no one bothers to use them to update you about changes? My most recent encounter was last month when my 13 yr old son was returning to SVG. Got to the airport at 11:00am to check in for a 12:45pm flight, and spent 8hrs sitting at that airport before 1 single LIAT plane landed at that airport. Fortunately my son got home after 1am next morning without any overnights and I was grateful. Travelling again next 3wks, better service please.
RouteSVD to EIS