Airline of the Year

La Compagnie

"Great from beginning to end"

Verified Review | Newark to Paris. Great experience from beginning to end. This is what all airlines should aspire to. It could be that I have gotten used to being treated like dirt by the major US airlines and my expectations are so low but this absolutely blows away any business class service that carriers like American Airlines provide to Europe and its a fraction of the cost. $1,600 vs over $5,000 for American Airlinesbusiness class. The service was excellent all around, the equipment was a 757 that was completely retrofitted with new fully adjustable seats, and the staff was very friendly and professional. The American carriers should be embarrassed. My only complaints is the limited destinations. Please reestablish the London route and expand into EU.
RouteNewark to Paris
Date FlownMarch 2017

"trip delightful and a bargain"

Verified Review | Newark to Luton. Our experience with La Compagnie was wonderful. We purchased our tickets during one of the sales specials, so the cost was about equal to economy on other airlines and less than premium economy offered by some. Check in at Newark and Paris CDG was fast with no lines with courteous and friendly staff members. We took advantage of the lounge in Newark and the only quibble was its location before security. The lounge was clean with comfortable seating and a decent-to-very good selection of food and drink. Onboard we found the seats quite comfortable with unbelievable leg room and width. The controls were a bit fiddly to figure out, but soon found comfortable settings for sitting and sleeping. Note that the seats aren't proper flat bed, but we found them close enough to sleep comfortably. We liked the tablet entertainment for its flexibility - you can hold it on your lap for more comfortable viewing. The selection of entertainment was somewhat limited, but we didn't find this to be a terrible drawback. The noise-cancelling headphones were fairly good and did the job. Certainly they were not as good as my $300 Bose, but better than others I've tried. The meals were surprisingly good - as good or better than we've experienced in first class on some airlines, with the French attention to detail and presentation. The only minor nit on board was the attendant to passenger ratio. The plane only has 74 seats, but only had three flight attendants. This seemed to contribute to a drink and food service that took a bit longer than one would find in business class on other airlines. All in all, our trip on La Compagnie was delightful and a bargain compared to other airlines. Is it the same as business or first class on the major airlines? Of course not. But even at full-fare, La Compagine provides nearly as good an experience at a fraction of the cost. We've already booked a trip to Paris with them.
RouteNewark to Luton
Date FlownJune 2016

"just endured a horror story"

Verified Review | Newark to Paris. Our family has just endured a horror story at the hands of La Compagnie that I feel compelled to share with fellow travelers. We had a flight reservation from Newark to Paris scheduled for February 2nd. We booked it several months back, and applied a $600 ticket coupon we were given as a result of a 6 hour delayed flight on March 20th 2016. The tickets were $3200 total so less the $1200 voucher we paid $2000 for the tickets. One of our adult children suffers from mental illness. Regrettably she has taken a turn for the worse and on the advice of her doctors and therapists we had to delay our trip to France. I called La Compagnie’s customer service and explained the situation to a representative who was very understanding. She told me we could rebook our flight up to the day of the flight without any penalties. Accordingly I called last week to try and rebook for a later date several months from now when we felt it would be ok for us to go. I was told I was misinformed by the first agent, and that in fact there would be a $500 per ticket per flight booking penalty totaling $2000. The tickets were worth $1600 each including the vouchers, so our tickets were essentially worthless. Obviously I was shocked and confused. Luckily our credit card has cancellation insurance. I contacted them and was told that I needed to provide the flight cancellation email and a copy of La Compagnie’s flight cancellation policy in order to issue a refund for the $2000. I immediately called La Compagnie and told them I was cancelling the flight, and asked for this information. The customer service representative who I was working with said she would get me that information immediately. One week has passed, and despite calling pretty well every day, I still have not received what is a routine piece of information. Upon speaking with her, (they know me by name now) she said that they have no way to contact La Compagnie in France except by email, and that she has emailed the “Cancellation Department” several times per day and taken every step she could think of but no one would respond to her. It’s now February 3rd, the flight was last night, they never cancelled our reservation and I now fear I will not be able have the claim fulfilled. It’s infuriating. This is a company with 2 planes and they can’t deal with my request? On the topic of the voucher, I asked if we could get and extension on the voucher due to what was happening. I offered to supply La Compagnie letters from our daughter’s doctors to confirm her diagnosis and current condition. Again, the customer service staff at La Compagnie were very understanding and compassionate and two of them I spoke with confided that they had family members that suffered from mental illness and that they would do their best to get an extension. In this case there was an immediate answer from France. No. No exceptions, no accommodations, the vouchers expire on March 20th. So here we are likely out of pocket for $3200. We have enough to deal with in our family and to be treated so callously and indifferently is simultaneously appalling, and frankly cruel. The Customer Service department has been wonderful and apologized to me repeatedly and said they are as frustrated as I am that no one will answer their requests. We obviously will never fly on La Compagnie again. As a former business owner I have never witnessed such incompetence and callousness.
RouteNewark to Paris
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"an absolute disaster"

Verified Review | An absolute disaster! I booked a flight from Paris to New York, I was leaving on a Sunday afternoon and booked on Saturday night. My flight (with a different airline) from Warsaw to Paris that morning was cancelled, therefore I contacted La Companie to let them know I would not make my flight. To my great surprise, their Paris office was closed on Sundays and their voicemail stated that the NYC office opened at 9am which would have been an hour after the scheduled flight. When I was finally able to reach out to a representative, they gave me the run around and finally said "sorry, it was a no show". I tried explaining them several times that I had no way of contacting them to reschedule since their office was closed. They were extremely rude over the phone and claimed they would call me, but never did. When I finally reached out one more time to get my flight reimbursed, they once again blew me off with no rational explanation. I would highly suggest that anyone who is considering using La Compagnie in the future does their due diligence. There are several other airlines offering business class seats for the same price with a far superior customer service.
RouteParis to New York
Date FlownMarch 2016

"service almost non-existent"

Verified Review | Paris to New York with La Compagnie. To say I was disappointed with my experience is an understatement. Firstly the entertainment system is totally useless, an entire 8 hour flight without entertainment. Also 30 minutes before landing the Samsung tablets were turned off so we couldn't track our progress coming into land. The plane was filthy (we flew from Paris, which is their base airport so you would think extra care would be taken in cleaning) my partners so called clean blanket had clumps of hair all over it, there was crumbs around my seat and there was dust all around my seat. The food was passable at best. Although I have had better food on a short haul economy flight. The cabin crew crew service was poor, although friendly. Apart from the dinner service the service was almost non-existent. Apart from dinner the crew never asked us if we wanted any drinks and we felt awkward in asking for one. Also the crew seemed to ignore our call button, which was extremely infuriating. We were in the air almost 1 hour before beig offered a proper drink. The seats were OK in comfort but once made into a bed they were rather uncomfortable. They are not lay flat, with your legs being in a much lower position creating a very odd sleeping position. The toilets were horrendous as halfway through the flight one decided to stop flushing creating a very nasty surprise for all those who dare venture in. I found the flight to be extremely disappointing. In my view this is not a business class airline but a premium economy airline with extra legroom. The price was the only saving grace for this airline. But with the flight experience I had I foresee this airline will not be around for very long.
RouteCDG to EWR
Date FlownNovember 2016

"my flight was cancelled"

Newark to Paris. I booked the flight back in June 2016, a couple of weeks later I received an email that my flight was cancelled for 2 September 2016 due to planned mechanical work for the plane and had to reschedule the flight. I had two connecting flights that I had to rebook to accommodate the change but I had to pay both airlines $200 each to rebook. I asked for help from La Compagnie but all they would say was they were sorry even though they are the ones to cancel the original flight 2 months out. To top matters, I had to return home early and changed days to return thru La Compagnie and they charged me $800 to change. I asked for some help with the $800 fee. I mentioned the cost of the original flight changes cost to me and again all I received was "I am sorry but nothing I can do".
RouteEWR to CDG
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"flight attendants were polite and friendly"

Just stepped off our return trip from Paris to Newark with La Compagnie. Overall, great experience both ways across the Atlantic. Both flights departed and arrived on time. Check in was a breeze at both airports and you can't beat the priority boarding. The lounge in Newark was better than the one in Paris. The Paris lounge was crowded with little selection on food and drinks. Once on board, the flight attendants were polite and friendly even with my crazy toddler. The food was okay and the Seats were comfy. The slight angle wasn't an issue for getting rest. For this price, this value can't be beat and I would definitely fly them again for pleasure or business. If you are worried about flight changes, I think the London route is more likely to get delayed or canceled. We met travelers in the lounge who were waiting for a flight to London since the day before.
RouteCDG to EWR
Date FlownJuly 2016

"a ton of legroom"

We heard about this new airline and decided to give it a try. The price seemed quite reasonable for what we were getting. This is an all business class airline. The price was not much more than flying economy on other airlines. We read the reviews and were aware of time changes and flight cancellations that have occurred in the past. This was not a business trip, so we were a bit flexible. We flew from Newark to London and then back a week later. Our flight out to London was delayed by about an hour, but we got plenty of notice and it did not affect it one bit. On the way home, our flight took off a couple of hours early, but again we got plenty of notice of the flight change. Truth is the early departure worked better for us, so we were not unhappy with the change. Check in went very smoothly. No lines and the staff were very courteous and friendly. We were traveling light, 2 suitcases between 3 of us, but it is nice to know that if we decided to buy something large, it could fly back with us as a piece of luggage. Once checked in we went straight for the lounge. Nothing special, but much better than siting in the regular waiting area. You get some decent food and drink before you board. If you wait till the end, someone will come around and remind you when it is boarding time. As a business class passenger you get to take the short security line. Truth is that at both Luton and Newark, it did not make a big difference as lines at both airports were short. Apparently this airline has two Boeing 757 planes. We rode on both. On the way to London we rode on the newer plane. The seats are so much nicer than any I have been in before. They have a ton of legroom, I could not touch the seat in front of me. The seats go almost flat. The seat controls are not intuitive, but you can figure them out if you play with the controls enough. The most important controls are the ones that convert the seat to a bed and the one that converts it back to a seat. The newer 757 is nicer. It has more bathrooms and there are no wires to charge the entertainment tablets. The seats also end up a bit flatter in bed mode. Entertainment wise, you get a nice big Samsung tablet. On the older plane where the tablets need to be plugged in, quite a few were running out of battery during our flight. A bit annoying, but if you kept the tablet in the cradle in front of the seat and left it plugged in, it was not an issue. The selection of entertainment was a bit slim. There were 6 TV shows to watch and about a dozen movies. Lucky for me there were a couple of movies I hand not yet seen so I was kept entertained. Food wise, no matter what this is airline food and it is not fine dining. With that said, they did the best they could. The fruit was very fresh and the deserts were really nice. Another nice touch was real silverware and cloth napkins. I'm not a drinker, so I can't comment on the wine and champagne offered on the flight. When I shop for anything, I look at value for the money spent, not just the cheapest price. Value wise I would rate this airline very high. There are only 76 passengers per flight, so you don't feel like cattle getting herded to the slaughter house. The staff is very well trained and friendly. If you don't mind the chance of a flight change, the value is hard to beat. I would use La Compagnie again.
RouteLTN to EWR
Date FlownJuly 2016

"terrific value - far from perfect"

Verified Review | Luton to Newark with La Compagnie. The flights were great value at £1178 return even though things are not perfect. Outward Luton - Newark we departed on time. It is easy to get to Luton Airport by train and bus but I was glad it was a sunny day as there is quite a long walk from the bus with no protection to the airport entrance. I would hate to do it on a rainy day. The check in staff were charming. The airport was crowded as was the lounge which was was adequate, showers were available but there was only 30 minutes of free wifi and getting a connection was complex. The aircraft looked less than half full. The service was charming and the food was excellent. The seat had baffling controls and it took half the flight to get it to a comfortable position. There were no instructions for operating the seat and the flight attendant didn't know how either. Return flight left and arrived about an hour late and was full. It was a different aircraft and the seal controls were simpler. It seemed that most passengers avoided dinner and went to sleep as soon as possible. I had an aisle seat and fortunately the window seat passenger didn't want to leave her seat at any point. Had she wanted to I would have had to wake up and move my seat to the sitting position. The service was fine and the breakfast was satisfactory despite featuring a very rubbery egg dish. I hope La Compagnie remains viable as I may happy to accept the trade-off between comfort, low price, marginal imperfections and unreliability - but first I want to try Norwegian Air to see how it compares for value for money. Anyone planning to use the La Compagnie needs to check the frequency of flight cancellations. I wouldn't have used it if I couldn't have accommodated a 24 delay for each journey. I was luck. Maybe it is improving - I hope so.
RouteLTN to EWR

"a terrible experience"

Verified Review | We are very seasoned travelers and decided to try La Compagnie to Paris from Newark. Our outbound flight was a terrible experience: uncomfortable seats with bizarre controls, poor onboard service (due to lack of staff), bad food. Our (attempted) return was an even worse experience. La Compagnie is a discount carrier, pure and simple - and not worth the price.
RouteEWR to CDG