Airline of the Year

Korean Air

"provided best possible service"

Verified Review | Sydney to Toronto via Seoul. Korean Air is one of the best airlines I have travelled with and provided us best possible service. The food, cleanness, service is impeccable and highly recommend. Looking forward to fly them again on 28 June 2017 but this time from Vancouver to Sydney!
RouteSydney to Toronto via Seoul
Date FlownJune 2017

"The legroom is remarkable"

Verified Review | Toronto to Sydney via Seoul Incheon. This was the return leg from Canada. On the 2 outbound and 2 return legs each aircraft economy class was full. The aircraft were clean and in good condition - everything worked. The legroom is remarkable. For a 183cm person I had 10cm of space between my knees and the seat in front - even when it was reclined. Both aircraft on the return had touch-screen IFE, however, the limited choices are a minus. For some reason, the route taken by Korean Air seems afflicted by frequent turbulence. This results in a loud tone when the seat belt sign is illuminated and an announcement, and a second tone when it's switched off. This is very disturbing when one is trying to sleep. Another annoyance with this airline is its lack of enforcement of the cabin baggage rules. In the boarding lounge, many passengers have up to 3 bags resulting in lack of space in the aircraft overhead bins. It was interesting to see the cavernous bins on the 787. The food on both legs was passable with the exception of a beef and pasta offering. The beef was fatty, the pasta stuck to the base of the foil container and the beans and carrots mushy. The cabin on the ICN-SYD was freezing - well, not quite, but it couldn't have been more than 17C. Observing the other passengers, at least 95% were wrapped in the provided blankets. On the three preceeding Korean Air flights I was comfortable in jeans and long-sleeve business shirt, But I had to put on my jacket and wrap up in an blanket also. Two complaints to a cabin attendant made no change. The flight lef Incheon 30 minutes late but landed in Sydney 3 minutes ahead of schedule.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 777-300
RouteToronto to Sydney via Seoul Incheon
Date FlownJune 2017

"Excellent service provided"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Seoul Incheon with Korean Air, Flight was in time, and the food served during flight is very delicious. Excellent service provided by cabin crew and I found the ground service is the best. Good inflight entertainment.
RouteMumbai to Seoul Incheon
Date FlownMay 2017

"never take Korean Air anymore"

Verified Review | Singapore to Seoul return. I will never take Korean Air anymore. Departing from Singapore there was no issue. But when I want to return to from Incheon Airport, their ground staff was rude. I reached airport 3 hour before departing, when I would like to enter to the queue for check-in / boarding pass, the ground staff was asking what passport are we holding, if it's not Singapore Passport should go for self check-in machine. We tried the self-check-in machine before but failed, due to first name & family name on the ticket not exactly as per passport, and the ground staff refer us to another queue for help desk. But when turn to me, the help desk guy doesn't want to help and refer me to back to the first counter (which is priority for SG Passport). When I questioned why he can't help, his answer is : those Korean queue behind of me might have urgent matter than me, so he should assist them first! This is principle of queuing? Even through he assist to get my boarding pass done at the end, this is worst memory and I will never take this airline anymore.
RouteSeoul to Singapore

"leg room was the best"

Verified Review | Seoul to Brisbane. Excellent service including check-in and cabin. Economy seat leg room was the best I have found on an international airline. Cabin staff in economy were most attentive to the needs of the passengers and very courteous. Food was excellent with good choices. Toilets were kept clean.
RouteSeoul to Brisbane
Date FlownMay 2017

"Excellent service both ways"

Verified Review | London to Jeju return via Seoul. Excellent service both ways, but especially outbound, perhaps because there were fewer than 20 pax on the A380's upper deck. Good catering, informative inflight info, excellent IFE system and selection. The seat on the A230 is a fairly standard 2 abreast lay-flat, comfortable as these go. Fortunately there was no-one in the seat beside me, because if so and they had the seat flat, it would have been awkward to climb over to get to the aisle. Seat on the 747 undoubtedly better; more room and each pair is staggered, so window etc seats have access to the aisle through a gap between seats - much better than clambering over the person next to you! So I preferred the 747 seat (which is a newer design), but it was interesting having the mix of A380 and B747 on this route. For me, despite the better 747 seat, this showed that the A380 is much the better passenger experience. It's smoother and much quieter. Also the 747 lavatories are cramped by comparison with the A380. The only negatives on this trip were having to collect and schlepp my case from Seoul Incheon to Seoul Gimpo (especially as my travel agent told me that Korean Air would do this!), and the inadequate lounge at Incheon departures.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 747-8
RouteLondon to Jeju via Seoul
Date FlownApril 2017

"cheaper than premium economy"

Verified Review | London to Auckland return via Seoul. Not having previously flown business class I'm not comparing it to other airlines, however my return trip was cheaper in Korean Business Class than in Cathay Pacific or Air New Zealand Premium Economy. I'm sure Business Class in other airlines may be swankier, but the food was good with adequate choice, staff were attentive, and the cabins were full but quiet. On the way out the two night flights had very spacious layouts with privacy screens, lie flat beds and easy access from window seats to aisle due to staggered arrangement. On the way back it was two day flights in a more basic arrangement but the seats still went flat. Due to the long changeover in Seoul on the way back a free transit hotel was provided - outside the airport but very close to it. Very good hotel, and dinner and breakfast were included. There is only one niggle, that is there wasn't enough choice on the IFE. Dedicated check in desks, lounges clean.
RouteAuckland to London via Seoul
Date FlownApril 2017

"my flight was wonderful"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Manila via Seoul. My flight was wonderful. The lay over at Incheon was not boring. Free internet access. Feeling a little thirsty I asked one of the flight crew for a coke. Waited for at least five minutes without the coke when I realized that maybe the staff forgot about my request, hence I decided to go to where the food and drinks station is located. The staff I approached was very pleasant who asked if there is anything I wanted, and poured me a coke. Few minutes later the cabin staff approached me with a can of coke and a pouch of crackers, very apologetic for forgetting my request.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Seoul
Date FlownMarch 2017

"good and very comfortable"

Verified Review | A rather good flight overall. Good and very comfortable / spacious hard product (despite the old 2-2-2 cabin layout in Business), on time, with good information and a very active and friendly cabin crew (except for the interaction I'll describe further). Korean Air Ground staff in CDG were very good and managed to help me join my reservation with a connecting KE flight (under a different reservation) and tag my luggage directly to the final destination, which saved me a lot of time and hassle in ICN. Onboard, pillows are quite small and not that comfortable for a full-flat bed in Business Class, similar to what you would find in Premium Economy on some other airlines. Catering could also be improved (KE always has very good food on long haul flights in economy class but I feel the upside between business and economy is not up to what you find on other Skyteam members). The big surprise came a little later down the flight when I was taking pictures of the economy cabin from the rear of the lower deck. A cabin crew came rushing out of nowhere and started asking me whether I took pictures, to which I replied "yes of course is that a problem?". Without further explanation she requested to see the pictures I had taken with my cellphone (I didn't know people can actually ask for that?) which I did while asking what the issue was (no reply). After a few seconds she said "ah it's OK" and left. No further explanation, no apologies for the rude (or stressed out) tone of voice.. The cabin manager came during that time and was standing nearby not saying anything and just left without saying a word. I've been flying countless times for over 10 years with Korean Air and have never experienced any such situation. This just felt really rude and a bit strange that the staff couldn't just have a polite and simple discussion with me to explain what the issue was.
RouteParis to Seoul
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the staff were very respectful and courteous"

Verified Review | Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia to Seoul, South Korea with Korean Air (return). Both flights were uneventful, helped by the fact that the staff were very respectful and courteous. The food in economy was average but consistent with other Korean Air flights. The flight departed an hour late but this was well communicated via email and at the check-in counter at the airport. Also, the IFE worked OK despite the touch screen on my seat feature not functioning.
AircraftA330-300