KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"no sense of practical approach"

Verified Review | New York to Berlin via Amsterdam. KLM lost luggage. Customer service was beyond useless almost automated with no sense of practical approach. My mother’s luggage was lost for more than 45 days but I went directly to TXL airport and some nice personnel took the time to search the database and identified the lost luggage with on hand number. I contacted KLM that I found the luggage and if they could help me/ let me know how to retrieve it. KLM customer service pretty much said we do not care get lost. KLM does not assist in retrieving the luggage and returning the property to its owner.
RouteNew York to Berlin via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2017

"equally unhelpful and rude"

Verified Review | Manchester to Antananarivo via Amsterdam. My new husband lost his passport 2 days before our wedding, 5 days before flying to Madagascar. After a  passport office appointment they said it would likely be done by Mon/Tues when we were meant to be flying Monday. On Monday we were home waiting for the post hoping the passport would arrive before our evening flight that we booked with lastminute.com (spoiler alert, it didn't.) First thing we rang lastminute.com  to ask the costs for changing flights and get advice on the best options if it didn't arrive, after being on hold for a whole 60 minutes they said not their problem they wont help and we need to ring KLM . So we rang KLM and the first person said they didnt know how much but it wouldn't be a problem to change and they would email the details through, so we waited a while. Then rang KLM again who said not sure whats happening but they would email again, then they of course didnt. Then rang KLM again who said not their problem we should ring last minute.com Long story short we bounced between lastminute.com and KLM and not a single person we spoke to would help us or point us in the right direction. Now we treated ourselves with an expensive holiday for our once in a lifetime honeymoon but we are by no means able to just throw money away, and as noone would help after 6 solid hours of ringing people, we drove to manchester airport to see if anyone on a desk there would help. Turns out as i stand there making a fool out of myself sobbing my eyes out at the KLM desk they won't help us either and told us to ring the KLM number. So I had to make a decision, as we were unable to see if our flights could be changed to another day for a reasonable cost and in a panic of not being able to afford new flights for both of us I checked in myself and left him behind to sort this mess, in the end he just had to buy completely new flights, which also meant he couldn't fly back with me. I appreciate this whole mess was caused by a stupid mistake of my husbands, but seriously how hard is it to talk to someone about a change of flight . And even if it isn't something you can help with, how hard is it to not lie and say you will help but then don't, or even how hard is it to treat people with a little empathy and kindness. Every single person i have had to deal with from KLM, from the phone, helpdesk, check in desk and flight attendants were rude and looked like the last thing they wanted to do was do their job properly. And on the way back our bags were lost and every person dealing with that was equally unhelpful and rude.
RouteManchester to Antananarivo via Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2017

"really impressed with the quality"

Verified Review | DXB-AMS-UIO and GYE-AMS-DXB. Dubai to Quito and Guayaquil to Amsterdam, 3 legs in B777-200 and last leg in B777-300. It is the first time I have travelled with KLM and I must say it won’t be the last. I am really impressed with the quality of everything: fantastic clean aircrafts, comfortable seats, leg space which is the largest in the industry I believe for economy class, very experienced Pilots with smooth take offs and landings (in the Andes Mountains to be specific) amazing entertainment with Arabic movies and Halal food options on the Dubai legs, but most important I have to praise the flight attendants. They might be mostly above the 45 age range but they were all very active throughout the 4 legs I had with KLM, even the 12 hrs flights and they handled the situation of the delay due to the technical error with a lot of experience and patience and never showed any attitude to any passenger even the Humble Andean old ladies sitting next to me. They were very friendly and helpful especially to me to make me catch my connection in Amsterdam and they let me go first off the plane. They kept me informed about my Dubai flight situation. Even when my luggage didn’t make it to my Dubai flight the situation was handled in a very professional way. I arrived in Dubai and headed to the lost luggage desk to be surprised that the agent was emailed by KLM about my luggage situation and informed me that my luggage would be delivered on the next flight which was emailed to me as well by the airline. My luggage arrived safely and was delivered to me followed by another apology email for the incident. No wonder KLM is the oldest airline still in service and celebrating 98 years. Thank you KLM for making my birthday trip across the Atlantic so memorable and unforgettable and you will be my airline of choice for the future.
RouteDubai to Quito via Amsterdam

"Really nice airline"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Copenhagen. Really nice airline, great service. Everything was clean in the aircraft also the staff was very friendly and on-time. The KLM app also worked great with checkin and had all the information I needed for my flight. Next time I am flying again with KLM.
RouteAmsterdam to Copenhagen
Date FlownOctober 2017

"rude, unhelpful customer service"

Verified Review | I called KLM customer service in Canada to make sure that they will take my pet in cabin from Edmonton to Dublin via Amsterdam, and they confirmed over the phone that they will, all the way to Dublin. So of course I booked the flight and submitted all information about my pet, and was ready to go. One week before flight I sent facebook message to KLM to make sure that all paperwork is in order. They didn’t answer right away, so the next morning I received a message saying that they are not taking my pet in the cabin from Amsterdam to Dublin because they are not approved carrier and it's only possible in cargo, which I understand but don’t understand why they never said anything while I was booking my flight? I was very disappointed, had to change all plans, rebook hotels etc. When I called customer service for explanation I did not receive any answer and they didn’t even know what i’m talking about, being very rude. Flew KLM many times and always had good time, but this situation is absolutely crazy. And what’s bothers me the most is how rude and unhelpful is customer service over phone in North America.
RouteEdmonton to Dublin via Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2017

"put me on Lufthansa flight"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Munich via Amsterdam. Efficient and very helpful re-booking (even on a different airline) after cancelling due to high wind. I got a text at 5pm the evening before my flight (original booking 11.20am next morning) to say that my flight had been cancelled due to high winds at Schiphol (Amsterdam); obviously there will have been a lot of planes affected and thousands of passengers so I was anxious about how I would get to my niece's wedding! I sent a personal message on Facebook (couldn't get hold of them any other way - all lines busy etc, not surprisingly) asking if there was any chance they could put me on the Lufthansa flight at 10.40am (direct, so avoiding Schiphol altogether); there was no reply by the time I went to bed but I awoke to a text message at 6.45am saying they had rebooked me on the direct Lufthansa flight to Munich as requested! I was totally amazed but really really pleased, and am very grateful to them. I am so glad I wasn't booked with a less reputable airline who would have offered bus/train vouchers instead and generally done as little as possible until forced to by the powers that be.
RouteBirmingham to Munich via Amsterdam

"Seat very uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Amsterdam to Abu Dhabi with KLM. Seat quite narrow, certainly with passenger of size sitting next to me. Seat very uncomfortable after a few hours, lack of support. Metal entertainment box under seat in front of me takes away 15% of leg space. Entertainment system stems from 20th century and is completely outdated. Didn't work for the first hour of the flight, resolution worse than a 10 year old phone. No response from flight attendant to service call. Food quality poor: bland and boring. I am a proud Dutchman, but why would you still fly KLM when you get a better service for a lower price at Asian and ME airlines. On the bright side: pilots are well trained and did a super smooth landing.
AircraftA330-200
RouteAmsterdam to Abu Dhabi

"food totally unpalatable"

Verified Review | To start with positives, the plane was pretty tidy and well maintained and the supplies given were clean. The cabin crew was very soft spoken and helpful. Now the tough ones. The inflight entertainment system was horrible. Tiny screen with horrible viewing angles and resolution, could barely watch anything properly. The earbuds provided were of very poor quality. The food served, twice to be precise, was totally unpalatable. And to top it all up, we had baggage problems and no response received from the KLM's customer care. Would not recommend, would not fly KLM again.
RouteAmsterdam to Edmonton

"cramped and uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Amsterdam to Toronto with KLM. Staff were courteous. Flight was cramped and uncomfortable which is the norm on overseas economy class trips. We paid for assigned seats ($24 each) and did not receive them. Complained and was told the money was not refundable even though the service was not provided.
RouteAmsterdam to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2017

"loyal customer with no extra benefits"

Verified Review | Bahrain to Cardiff via Amsterdam. As customers we have to except that cancellations do happen & that more often than not the decision to cancel is taken with our safety in mind. Every airline can run well under normal circumstances but a good test of a airline is to see how they cope with situations like these. KLM were aware of bad weather & by the time my flight had arrived had already cancelled a lot of flights, with this in mind you would of thought that a large business would ensure that they have enough staff on hand not only in the airport but also online & on the end of the phone to cope with the very predictable customer demand that would inevitably ensue. Not the case with KLM. Arrived in Amsterdam to a flight board of mostly delayed or cancelled flights, then had to virtually beg to get into the Crown Lounge with a Petroleum card despite being fully entitled to enter, I was later told that KLM staff were trying to reduce the amount of people in the lounge due to the cancellations. What is the point of issuing loyal customers with a privilege card if you are not prepared to give them the privilege in the first place? Upon being emailed & texted that my flight was cancelled I was given a link to click to re-arrange my flight, brilliant I thought, not brilliant as the link took me to a blank page. Not a problem I will go to the customer service desk & sort this. I (together with a lot of other people) had to wait for over 1hr and 30mins just to be seen, by which time all other seats were taken & waiting lists were at least ten deep for that days remaining flights. Not a problem, as I (& many others) hold a privilege card this takes my to the front of the "waiting list" for last minute seats, this is one of the major selling point of the privilege card system. But apparently when you most need this service KLM are not ready to honour it, leaving you as a loyal customer with no extra benefits that KLM had previously promised you in order to get your business & loyalty in the first place. 3 hours later I managed to re-book my flight, 5 hours later I managed to get to the hotel, to be far after this everything seems to be running ok. However, when you compare this airline to how other airlines cope with disruption KLM falls well short of just achieving basic organisation let alone good customer service. When you have your flight cancelled with KLM you will receive a voucher for 15 euros off inflight duty free which was not valid on my flight as my flight is under 70 minutes in duration. Or 2000 air miles credited to your account but only after you learn to read Dutch to decipher the voucher you have been given & then post in all your boarding passes & receipts to a international address, which will probably cost you the same in postage as the miles are worth. This is after you have tried to re-book your flight using one of the three online services they advertise, non of them worked & no response was received from any for over 12 hours. So in all likely hood you will have a 1 hour 30 minute wait to see a (understandably) fed up customer service rep.
RouteBahrain to Cardiff via Amsterdam