KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"worst experience I have had"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Tel Aviv via Amsterdam. The seating in business class on the flight from Amsterdam to Tel Aviv was poor. Just standard airline seating with a vacant seat in the middle and a tray insert there. So not at all a comfortable journey. Upon Arrival at Tel Aviv a piece of my baggage did not arrive. When I enquired at the baggage desk the person there told me they had been notified that the baggage had "not made the plane at Amsterdam" Clearly the fault of the baggage. I was assured it would be put on the next flight and would be delivered to me at my hotel. Sad to say this never happened. On contacting the baggage handlers at the airport, they again assured me the item would be on that night's flight and forwarded to me etc. Again it did not happen and this was repeated for the duration of my stay in Israel, from the 9th until 14th of Sept. It is now the 25th of September and despite being assured by KLM that my missing baggage would now be forwarded to my home address, it has not happened. I have contacted KLM via twitter, Email and Facebook and it is clear that one section does not talk to the other. I have now received an off hand twitter message telling me to complete the claim from online. In my more than 40 years of international air travel this is without doubt the worst experience I have had with any airline. Most upsetting of all is the feeling that there is an attitude of could not care less.
RouteGlasgow to Tel Aviv via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"charged seating selection "

Verified Review | Singapore to Bali. Got a quite reasonable price for the tickets but the charged seating selection part was a little disappointing as most airlines would offer a non-chargeble seating selection upon check in. Flight back to Singapore was delayed 2 hours with some meal box provided, sounds fair.
RouteSingapore to Bali
Date FlownMay 2017

"nothing but praise for KLM"

Verified Review | Birmingham to St. Petersburg via Amsterdam. I have nothing but praise for KLM, I fly to St.Petersburg Russia via Amsterdam at least 4 times a year, and all flights have gone smoothly, the odd delay was due to airport problems, but connections were never missed. The price is good, the food nothing special, but that is not important to me. The seating, staff and whole experience has been excellent.
AircraftB737
RouteBirmingham to St. Petersburg via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"all legs of the trip were good"

(Sierra Leone)

Verified Review | Flew Freetown to Paris via Amsterdam. This was my first time flying KLM, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought all legs of the trip were good. Cabin crew on all flights were polite, friendly and cheerful. The food was very good and plentiful, with a meal and snack served on the flight between Amsterdam and Freetown. They were generous with the alcohol, and I liked the fact that after dinner they came around with a small selection of spirits - quite rare in economy class these days. Though the TV screens were tiny, the IFE was adequate for the reasonably short flights, and there was a good selection of movies. I enjoyed flying KLM and feel they are superior in terms of both food and service to Air France.
AircraftA330-200
RouteFreetown to Paris via Amsterdam

"outbound flight was ok"

Verified Review | Flew for weekend break to Ansterdam from Manchester. Terminal 3 at Manchester is appalling. The outbound flight was ok. Service was fine, though the cabin crew did not seem that friendly. Though it was acknowledged this was a short flight, a anack was provided. However for travelling at midday, the expectation would have been to have been served ay least a sandwich, not a small piece of cake, which was inadequate meaning searching for good at artival in Schipol Airport. Return flight was much better. The cabin crew was more friendly and alert and very attentive. Snack on this occasion was appopriate, for a 45 minute flight.
RouteManchester to Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"service doesn't meet expectations"

Verified Review | Flew Amsterdam to Copenhagen. Even though KLM is said to be a premium airline, service doesn't meet expectations. Also regarding the sustainability of the airline: you can't even get snacks without meat on their short flights. Unfriendly staff. Would not recommend flying with them.
RouteAmsterdam to Copenhagen

"avoid this provider"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Amsterdam. I was on an 11 hour flight with a transfer to another 9 hour flight. The seats are tiny, so much so that if anyone sits next to you that has any mass whatsoever they are laying on you and or in your seat. We make it to Amsterdam where we have a layover and head to the KLM lounge where my wife has a membership. I'm flying with her, and at the lounge they advise us that no guests are allowed despite being married and a member of the lounge service. Customer service wouldn't budge on this. I'm confused, and letting everyone I know to avoid this provider at all possible.
RouteJohannesburg to Amsterdam

"experience was horrendous"

Verified Review | KLM has one flight a day from Denpasar to Singapore. On Sep 1st due to a technical fault they delayed and then subsequently cancelled the flight the next day. My experience was horrendous. We were dropped at a DPS hotel at 2am and told to be ready to fly tomorrow. That was the last I saw or heard from KLM staff. For 2 days I was left without any information, food vouchers or a rebooked flight. The hotel did their best to provide support but they weren't even in contact with KLM for most of the time. I received a letter 2 days later saying that the ground crew would assist, they never did. It said they would contact me via phone or email with my rebooked flight, they never did. It took 3 nights in a hotel before KLM rebooked me onto a new flight, even though there are 15+ flights a day on that route. I still haven't heard from anyone at KLM and any attempts at speaking to someone who is responsible for the welfare of the passengers on that failed flight falls on deaf ears. I couldn't imagine an organisation demonstrating such arrogance and a lack of care but I have now seen it with KLM. If they are cheap and you can afford to take the risk of being left in a hotel for 3 days with no help or information then go ahead and fly, however after experiencing how KLM deal with delays and cancellations you would be far safer to fly a Low cost carrier, especially on inter-Asia routes.
RouteDenpasar to Singapore
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"KLM was using Bulgarian Air"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Sofia via Amsterdam. The flight left Glasgow and arrived in Amsterdam on time. then it went downhill. The next flight was 2 hours late. I had to ask the staff at the airport which were no great help and after 40mins didn't know when the plane was even landing as the screen had not been updated. Eventually the plane arrived. KLM was using Bulgarian Air. The seats on board were very tight together. I had paid for a little extra room but didn't get any, the plane was dirty, no toilet roll in the toilets and the passenger safety leaflet was stuck together with chewing gum. None of the cabin crew could speak English. All the emergency instructions on the plane were in English. The cabin crew did not instruct the passengers on how to open the doors over the wings in case of emergency. Cabin crew didn't give instruction on life vest or oxygen mask proceedure. Throughout flight the cockpit door was left open for long periods of time. Cabin crew tried to hide this fact by closing the curtain. In this day and age this is shocking. Flight was so bad I booked a return trip from Sofia to London on Qatar with BA. The return from KLM I threw in the bin. Would I use KLM again - don't know?
Aircraft737
RouteGlasgow to Sofia via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2017

"hand luggage didn't show up"

Verified Review | Hannover to Jakarta via Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur. At first, someone sat on my seat and had my seat number. Thank God there was a seat empty so that the other passenger could sit during the flight. My flight was delayed for almost an hour. And then, another poor service from KLM airport crew was that I had to put my hand luggage in the luggage compartment of the aircraft. I was told that I could pick it in Amsterdam Schipol Airport. But it was so complicated and took three to four hours for me to get that. So I gave up, and they said that it would be safely send with the other luggage (the 23kg suitcase) to my final destination. In Jakarta, after two hours waiting, my hand luggage didn't show up. So I filed a report, and after three days it was sent to the airport but in a very poor condition. The handle and lock are severely broken. Today is the 21st day after my arrival and I have received only one e-mail that asked me to give the luggage details, which I replied as soon as I could. But until now, not even a single mail or call have I received. KLM should be able to handle baggage properly and not disappoint passenger like this. I have bought the ticket for round trip and hope this is my last flight with KLM. I would definitely prefer to pay more for more comfort and baggage safety.
RouteHannover to Jakarta via Amsterdam