KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"a 48 hour nightmare"

Trip Verified | We flew as a family of four from Chicago to Cape Town in June 2018, with tickets booked on Delta.com in January. One among our teenage children is a minor. Apparently, we are required to carry a birth certificate for minor children regardless of being on a US passport, to enter South Africa. KLM did not inform us (1) at the time of booking with their Skyteam partner, Delta, on delta.com (2) during online check-in on klm.com and (3) during check-in at O'Hare. Imagine our shock when they did not allow us to board the Amsterdam to Cape Town flight! What followed was a 48 hour nightmare where KLM showed that they did not care about us as customers. Eventually, we did continue our trip after a lot of welcome help from Delta and a lot of personal cost borne by us. The true worth of an airline shows up when things do not go to script. KLM showed that it has neither the technology, nor the process, or the people to operate as a customer-oriented international airline in the 21st century. Shame on you, KLM, for not taking accountability for your deficiencies and for putting us through hell. KLM does not deserve to be on SkyTeam, and in fact should go extinct just like the 747s it continues to fly from US to Amsterdam or its time honored tradition of skimping on meal service.
AircraftBoeing 747, Boeing 777
RouteChicago to Cape Town via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2018

"satisfied with the service"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | I was booked to fly from Paris to Amsterdam in the evening on KLM, but when I arrived in Paris off another flight, I found out that my flight had been cancelled (maybe due to strikes?). I checked my email and I had already received an email telling me that I had been automatically re-booked onto another flight, which was an awful red-eye overnight journey via Munich - the last thing that I wanted to do after just getting off another 12 hour flight. I went to the Air France/KLM help desk and the kind lady there managed to change my auto-booking to a convenient early morning, direct flight on Air France. She also organised a hotel for the night close to the airport, meal, shuttle and food vouchers, and an amenities kit. The wait time for all this was not too long — maybe less than half an hour — quite good given that there were quite a number of people stuck there. Even though it was quite annoying that I arrived a day late in Amsterdam, I was satisfied with the overall service of Air France/KLM and the way they handled the cancellation.
RouteParis to Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2018

"Overall a good experience"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | KLM is quite a nice airline to fly - I would recommend them. The check-in at Schiphol airport was very efficient, although the attendant that served me was not friendly. The food on-board was quite good. I ordered a gluten free meal and this was tasty and included a GF bread roll, which is a rare bonus. They also offered me a drink at the same time as they served my special meal, which doesn't usually happen - quite a nice touch. They brought plenty of drinks out throughout the flight. I thought the seat was really comfortable for economy class, with a good head rest, and unusually for me I even managed to sleep for an hour or two. The flight attendants were quite warm and friendly and graciously obliged my requests for extra drinks and snacks. Were were given hot wipes (disposable towels) in the morning before landing. The entertainment was also quite good, with user interface being one of the simplest and easiest to use in my experience, although I think that there is room for improvement with their range of TV shows. The pilots gave several clear updates throughout the flight, which I always appreciate. Plane landed basically on time. Overall a good experience!
RouteAmsterdam to Incheon

"does not reward you"

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Cardiff via Amsterdam. KLM new "revenue" based customer rewards program that does not reward you when you spend more revenue. I fly with KLM on medium haul and short haul flights 8 times a month. When they changed their loyal program earlier this year I kept away from posting anything and waited to see how it would affect me. I am sorry to say that KLM staff on this flight have at best misunderstood the terms and conditions or at worst are purposely misleading customers on the terms and conditions of KLM's new loyalty program. I always upgrade to business class when there are seats available from my economy ticket and more often than not pay full price. On this occasion i paid $900 ontop of my existing ticket to upgrade after confirming with the KLM staff that I would indeed receive the 24XP points in order to retrain my gold status. The flight went well until i noticed that I had only been awarded 8XP points via my KLM app. Upon questioning KLM on this after the flight they informed me that although their system is now revenue based that this "revenue based" program do not recognise this type of revenue based spend?? I am now in the process of changing airlines. 8 x minimum and short haul flights worth of revenue based pending walking our the door for KLM.
RouteBahrain to Cardiff via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2018

"didn't meet the standard size"

Trip Verified | London to Bengaluru via Amsterdam. Terrible service, rude employees, extremely unhelpful. I had 2 small baggage which were under weight limit for check-in but I was charged additional whereas most of the other passengers with huge baggage that didn't meet the standard size were allowed without any additional money being charged. Also the food was really bad, the sandwich was too dry.
RouteLondon to Bengaluru via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2018

"rebooked flight also cancelled"

Trip Verified | London to Amsterdam return. Original outbound flight cancelled due to staff shortages. To make matters worse, my rebooked flight was also cancelled, as was the one afterwards. One angry phone call later, I discovered my rebooked flights had not been cancelled, rather KLM had not entered by booking in to the flight correctly. I was eventually rebooked on to a convenient alternative KLM flight, but lo and behold, on the day I was due to fly, my flight was cancelled. After another angry phone call, I took an pleasant and uneventful BA flight to Amsterdam. Sure enough, my return flight on KLM was cancelled due to technical issues with the plane and my rebooked flight delayed by an hour. To their credit, KLM air crew were very nice and their planes clean. However, the chaos in which KLM seem to operate has put me off flying with them in the future.
RouteLondon to Amsterdam

"rude and unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Flew KLM from Amsterdam to Nice. Just shocking how rude and unhelpful the airline staff are at the airport. No such thing as customer service. Several times now I have been overly disappointed in the service by this arline and their staff.
RouteAmsterdam to Nice

"refused as carry on"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Amsterdam. Medical equipment that is essential for me was refused to be allowed as carry on. I showed doctor letters explaining the necessity of the equipment. They threatened to not let me on the plane unless I agreed to let them put it in the hold with other luggage. Eventually this was my only option, with compliance and management contact being refused. This is especially disappointing of an allegedly high class airline.
RouteMadrid to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2018

"two restrooms for 5 hour flight"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to San Francisco via Amsterdam. The flight from Tel Aviv to Amsterdam was aircraft Boeing 737. It was a fully packed plane with only two restrooms for 5 hour flight. The aircraft had no entertainment and the two restrooms were not sufficient for the entire economy class section. There were lines constantly for the use of the facility. I don't know why KLM would use such an aircraft for 5 hour trip. On the other hand, the flight from Amsterdam to SFO in Boeing 767 was a totally different experience. The aircraft was much larger and it didn't fill to the capacity so it was much more pleasant flight with less aggravated passengers. Each seat had its individual screen for the entertainment.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 767
RouteTel Aviv to San Francisco via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2018

"cabin crew were wonderful"

Trip Verified | It was my first time flying with KLM on a non-European flight, the boarding was easy, it's Schipol. The seat was comfortable, the cabin crew were wonderful, the in-flight entertainment was good, could be a little broader but cannot complain. The food though was rubbish, they ran out of beef when they got to me but that isn't the problem it's more the quality of food, they do come round with drinks a lot which is great. Really smooth flight. I've been on an American airline and they're terrible, so it's an overall thumbs up for KLM long haul flights.
RouteAmsterdam to Rio de Janerio