KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Review by (Canada) 5th July 2015

The ground crew were polite, professional, and cared about trying to make us happy. We had a baby, so we had to go to the transfers desk to print our boarding passes. They helped us bypass long lines so that we could make our connection on time. Because we were boarding from a connecting flight we weren't able to arrive early enough to claim the bassinet seating (there were lots of babies on the plane) but the flight hostess was able to find another seat for the woman sitting beside my wife, so we had a place to put out 6 month old instead of holding him the whole time. The plane was clean and comfortable, and the food was acceptably good for airplane food. The hostesses were very friendly, professional and presentable. I would recommend this airline.
RouteAmsterdam to Calgary

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th July 2015

Absolute chaos at check-in. Many passengers connecting to China and all with a full trolley of baggage (and more) to check in. Not all desks were staffed and the agent controlling access seemed to have lost heart and surrendered. It was a hot day and the aircraft was stuffed full of people so boarding was highly stressful. It was not great for anybody when stressed kids made their presence known. The cabin crew were of little assistance, seemingly just wanting to get home. I too wanted to be off this very badly managed flight. In contrast, my onward flight to Aberdeen was tranquil. I guess it's all down to KLM management of pressure.
RouteVenice to Amsterdam

Review by (Netherlands) 2nd July 2015

Reserved and paid extra for an EconomyComfort seat with extra leg space 3 months before the flight. 3 minutes before boarding I was called to the boarding desk and was told that my seat was double booked, they put me in a cheaper Economy seat and was told I should ask for a refund myself after landing. The boarding was chaotic and took a long time, as it appeared more passengers had to change seats. The seat I was put in was the most cramped one on the plane. Once aboard the plane I told the purser about the situation, she refused to believe me and went out of her way to deny I even paid for an EconomyComfort seat. A nasty experience that ruined the positive holiday mood I was in. Food was so so: the classic choice between pasta and chicken/rice. Other cabin crew was friendly and helpful. Toilets were kept tidy and clean. Inflight entertainment somewhat outdated.
RouteLima to Amsterdam

Review by (Canada) 27th June 2015

We had a good flight, great service but the seats in this Boeing 777 were like KLM'S business class, somewhat austere. Our Boeing 777 outbound from YYC had power points and easily accessible USB. Some exec got cheap at KLM and we had to hunting on our hands and knees for the headphone jack which was buried in a strange place and no power points for our electronics. It was quite a sight to see business class passengers on their hands and knees trying to plug their headphones in. We are going to try Air France business class in the future and if that doesn't pan out we are switching back to Lufthansa. I suspect that Cathay Pacific, Korean and Emirates still have a far nicer business class with more perks for the same fare.
RouteAmsterdam to Calgary

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

My family and I recently flew from LAX to Copenhagen after a layover in Amsterdam. We returned about two weeks later on KLM, flying Copenhagen to Amsterdam, then on to Atlanta and finally LAX. Both flights were the smoothest we have experienced. The flight crews were attentive and professional. The onboard meals and snacks were pretty good considering it was on an airline. The only issue we had was the leg room on the flight over. The Boeing 747 had the worst of any plane we had been on. The Boeing 737 from Amsterdam to Copenhagen had more. Best of all was the flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta on a Boeing 777 - comfortable, with plenty of seat space and leg room. Overall, KLM did an outstanding job.
AircraftBoeing 747-400 / Boeing 777
RouteLAX to Copenhagen via AMS

Review by (Denmark) 22nd June 2015

Paid for upgrade to business - it was somewhat disappointing. The new lie flat seats are great but service was under par. The welcome drink took a while to arrive, wasn't offered coat service. My carry on didn't fit in bin (upper deck, small bins), the flight attendent sent me to her colleagues in the back, but they were too busy, so I left the suitcase in the aisle, and it took about 30 minutes for someone to take care of it - not a very friendly experience in general. No particular attention to passengers asking about drinks, and serving wasn't good - food served with foil cover labeled "remove before serving", etc. I felt like I was in economy premium, rather than business. What mattered was the lie flat and the ability to sleep, but at this price, even for a discounted upgrade, it's not worth it.
RouteNairobi to Amsterdam

Review by (Sweden) 21st June 2015

Flew with KLM from Singapore to Amsterdam. I have tried to a avoid KLM due to previous bad experiences. This flight was nice surprise since KLM "economy comfort" was very good. Enough leg space and seats were not too bad. Food served during the flight was typical (chicken and rice for dinner and fruits and yougurt for breakfast). In fact only negative thing in this flight was extremely narrow aisles. Cabin crew bumped to passengers shoulders and elbows all the time and it is not their fault since their is absolutely not enough room to walk or serve food without touching or pushing accidentally passengers.
RouteSingapore to Amsterdam

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

Very good service and quite good food. Crew very professional, went out of their way to try and solve customer's issues with a smile. AVOD was a bit tricky to operate and not nearly the number of choices available as on some carriers. The TV offerings were a little weak, the film offerings were a little better. Aircraft was clean and well maintained. The two biggest problems were the AVOD box under several seats in each row, which significantly impacted leg room if it was under the seat in front of you. Also, for some reason the armrests only raised to 45 degrees, making it difficult for a person in a center seat to get up to use the lavatory. Seat pitch a little tight for such a long haul.
AircraftB747-400
RouteAMS to LAX

Review by (Egypt) 12th June 2015

CAI-AMS, May 12th. AMS-IAD, May 14th: Check in went smoothly and fast through sky priority, the Lounge was perfect, but again overcrowded. For boarding Sky priority is not very good as we were placed in an adjacent seating area to the Economy and the boarding was altogether with everybody on the same buses. KLM crew was excellent, the greeting was a wide smile. We departed on time, the service was excellent. AMS-IAD: The airport was extremely crowded, the information desk directed me to the Sky priority check in for KLM, it was crowded but much better than the regular check in counter. KL Lounge was great and huge, so it was never over crowded. Boarding was professional and very organized, it was A330 airbus that looked brand new and it was a pleasant flight. The day was spoilt with the endless immigration queues at Washington Dulles Airport, and an even longer one for the customs. It took me almost 3 hrs to pass all of this.
RouteCAI-AMS and AMS-IAD

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

Travelled Glasgow-Amsterdam-Stockholm and return Amsterdam-Glasgow. Inflight very poor. Sandwich offered but on brown bread only also no choice of filling. Drinks offered were tea coffee/wine/juice-beer, I prefer a spirit but again nothing. I have travelled long haul with KLM (Hong Kong twice, South African once) and enjoyed excellent service and quality but short haul I would not use again, as well using the budget airlines.
RouteGlasgow-Amsterdam-Stockholm and return Amsterdam-Glasgow