KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"cabin crew best I had come across"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Unplanned flight with KLM after scheduled flight was overbooked. Flight had to be booked over the phone due to the short notice, however it was easily done. Plane was a relatively old looking Boeing 777 but was comfortable. The visual and audio quality of the Inflight entertainment system was not the best, but had a good range of films and TV shows. Legroom in seat 38D was slightly restricted due to a small electrical box - however being on the aisle compensated for this. The food was fantastic, simple but wholesome and very welcome. After take-off Dinner/Light meal consisted of chicken wrap, couscous and cake. Breakfast was between French toast or omelette (which was very good) with fruit salad, bread and juice. I found the provision of water on this flight significantly better than other airlines which give you pots of waters with meals, and cups at other services, this often leaves me thirsty and so I bring extra water on-board. KLM provided bottles with the goodnight amenities pack and at meal service. The stand out feature was the cabin crew who were the best I had come across on my travels. Genuine, friendly and appeared to care that you had a good flight. The stand out feature and one of the reasons I would choose to fly KLM again long haul.
RouteCape Town to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2015

"business class worth every cent"

Review by (Canada)

I was offered a last minute upgrade to KLM's business class and it was worth every cent. Wonderful staff, excellent meals. Good IFE with a nice variety. I have previously flown Premium Economy with KLM which was also a good experience.
RouteAmsterdam to Calgary
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"worth every penny"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines from Manchester to Beijing via Schipol. Manchester to Amsterdam was on an Embraer E-190 that was late coming in but was turned around fast. Short flight on a small but comfortable aircraft, crew efficient and informative. Captain came in fast as lots of passengers needed to make connections. Mad dash across Schipol to make flight. I am biased I like the B747, and "Rio" looked magnificent in the afternoon sunshine. I paid the extra for the premium economy seat and its worth every penny. Long but comfortable overnight flight to Beijing. Food was good, nice G&T and a drinkable red wine. Snacks can be had at anytime. The combi Premium economy area was very civilised, the babies well behaved. I have a toddler daughter so I know what its like to feel like a lepper amongst passengers when you have a little one with you. KLM aircrew are often "more mature" but that makes them far better at helping family flyers. If you can pay the premium KLM is a far better and time saving alternative to flying via the middle east to get to the far east. Saw a last glance of "Rio " as I left the airport in Beijing. I will be sad to see these big birds go. Yes I know the A380 is bigger and I fly them too but the jumbo has soul. Few whinges? Why does a full price airline have a 23kg luggage limit when the middle easterners have 30kg? Its daft. People will plump for the bigger luggage carriers. They did allow me to take a large box with a bike (25kg) for free. I did take 120kg in luggage pre-booked with KLM but no porters to be found in Manchester or Beijing. Overall worth the extra for a sociable timed flight and not to transit through a hostile airport in the small hours.
AircraftB747-400 Combi Rio De Janeiro
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to Beijing via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2015

"great quality for the prices"

Review by (Romania)

I flew KLM for the first time in April 2015 from Budapest to Osaka, via Amsterdam and I was very positively surprised by this airline. Especially the staff and the easy transfer at Amsterdam Schiphol. The food served on the flight was very good, and the inflight entertainment pretty diverse. Great quality for the prices they practice. Will fly again if I have the chance.
RouteBudapest to Osaka via AMS
Date FlownApril 2015

"helpful when needed"

Review by (Netherlands)

Flight from Singapore to Amsterdam (KL836). Did not notice any problems as I slept most of the time. Cabin crew very friendly and helpful when needed. Food is okay, Inflight entertainment not bad too. The plane looked like it was not cleaned before, but later I was told that the plane was coming from Denpasar (Bali, Indonesia) via Singapore to Amsterdam. For the price I paid, I would rather take a flight with a stopover and pay less. Overall good rating.
RouteSingapore to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2015

"KLM exceeded my expectations"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Booked in advanced and managed to get the KLM return flight cheaper than easyjet and other low cost competitors. Cabin crews were efficient and friendly, although the flight was only 1hr long, the 2 crews managed to run a meal service that didn't seemed rush! The crew took time to offer my friend and I some tourist advice, which was much appreciated. Overall on the ground and in the air, KLM has exceeded my expectations, looking forward to fly with them, and would use them long haul.
AircraftE190
RouteBristol to Amsterdam

Review by (China)

Shanghai Pudong is is a very busy airport and flights tend to leave late. So was this flight, but we made up time on route, only 5 minutes late in Amsterdam. Nothing to complain about. Food was nice, service excellent and a sleep for a couple of hours. Enough drinks and snacks available (self service) through the flight.
RouteShanghai to Amsterdam

Review by (Netherlands)

Excellent flight with lots of surprisingly delicious foods, excellent staff and captain whom kept us informed about everything that was happening during the flight. Especially nice since whe we were flying through rough turbulance for an hour or so just above Mynamar, but we knew what we are getting into thanks to all the updates of the captain. Another small thing that I always fancy when flying with KLM, is that the food and drinks are served at the same time (as it's supposed to be with dinner) unlike many of the gulf carriers where I experienced many times that my meal was already finished when the drinks were served finally arrived. Inflight entertaimrnt system is good, but not excellent, definitly up to standaard with the airline industry. Overall great flight, KLM is my airline of choice. Product consistancy like no other airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to Amsterdam

Review by (Netherlands)

This review is about KLM ground personnel. My wife and I had cabin luggage only, in order to meet an appointment at London City Airport in time. Logical, I think. At the gate KLM ground personnel asked for passengers with a trolley to come to the desk and hand in their trolley. As I have flown in all kinds of planes, I knew that in smaller planes some put larger cabin luggage in a space in the back of the cabin. So my wife handed in her trolley. A few minutes later I saw her trolley sitting on the tarmac, ready to be loaded into the belly of the plane, together with the checked-in suitcases. The announcement made through the speakers had not mentioned that the trolleys would be loaded into the belly of the plane. I would not have handed in our trolley. I first asked KLM ground personnel and later instisted that they would give me our trolley that sat there visible just below us. The ground personnel would not even politely acknowkledge the justification of my request and started to handle a request of another passenger about luggage.
RouteAmsterdam to London City

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew New York JFK to Amsterdam on 777-300ER. Had hoped for newer aircraft but our plane was perfectly fine. Everything was clean on boarding, and the crew were welcoming from the start. The plane feels huge inside, although economy can feel a bit cramped in the 3-4-3 layout. I sat in a window seat, which felt far from the aisle. The seats are fairly standard for economy, anyone taller (i.e. more than 5'10") may feel a bit cramped but the pitch is generally OK. The IFE did feel a bit antique, but only crashed once due to me overloading it. The stewardess quickly reset the system when asked. The catering is better than most, albeit the choice was a bit meager (only 2 options for dinner and a small breakfast), but everything tasted fine and was served with a smile. No complaints about timings, besides a short delay on the ground at JFK, made up for by an early arrival in Amsterdam.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER