KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Ibiza. Worst customer service ever. We booked a KLM flight Via Amsterdam. After first leg was delayed more than 1h (operated by Pegasus) and we missed our connection, as well as the automatic rebooking due to the huge airports and long security lines, they refused to help us and sent us out of the terminal to Pegasus who sent us back to KLM . No desire to help at the transfer desk. Made us feel totally helpless.
RouteAmsterdam to Ibiza
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"one of the best flights I've had"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Abu Dhabi . This turned out to be a great flight. We chose KLM because it was cheaper and this ended up being one of the best flights I've had. The food was really really good and the best food Ive had on a plane. The staff was really friendly and helpful.
RouteAmsterdam to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"I have heard nothing back"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Salt Lake City (a KLM booked flight operated by Delta Air Lines) was delayed, which caused, that we had to take a later flight from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. All-in-all a 7 hour delay. I fully understand, that this can happen from time to time and EU regulations dictate, that we are entitled to a €600 compensation each. As soon as we came home again, I filed the claim for compensation and after more than a month, I have heard nothing back from KLM yet. I have even requested information about expected processing time with no reply at all.
RouteAalborg to Las Vegas via Amsterdam / Salt Lake City
Date FlownAugust 2018

"unable to make my outbound flight"

Trip Verified | I booked a return flight from London to Medellin in Colombia with KLM (and LATAM domestic flight from cartagena to medellin). Due to unforseen circumstances i was unable to make my outbound flight and was forced to rebook the outbound leg. When it came to return to London I checked in for my LATAM flight no problem however the KLM website would not allow me to check in. Upon phoning the customer service department i was told that KLM have a policy that if you miss your first flight they are legally allowed to cancel all of the other flights you have with them. They are not required to inform you that this will happen or provide you with a refund. I was forced to also rebook my return flight with another airline.
RouteMedellin to London via Cartagena
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"40 Euro per checked bag fee"

Trip Verified | Southampton to Strasbourg via Amsterdam. I chose to fly with KLM via AMS, with the return journey via CDG - by TGV train to CDG and onward with Flybe (Air France flight number). I made my booking with Expedia. Basically, everything was fine. The flights via Amsterdam were fine but the connection time was a bit tight because of passport control. The return journey was fine - Strasbourg station check-in was excellent, as was the TGV - I shall definitely consider TGV connections via CDG again. However, FlyBE is an experience I do without. Late. Appalling on board catering which they have the cheek to charge for. The flights to AMS and Strasbourg offered acceptable food and drink for free and the service was very correct. What did surprise me was the 40 Euro per checked bag fee in each direction. The Expedia site did not give a warning of this and it was not clear from the ticketing documentation - it came as a surprise at check-in.I hace flown a couple of thousand times and consider myself a seasoned traveller, I know that such fees are common with budget airlines like Ryanair, Easyjet and some US domestic airlines, but I have never experienced this with established airlines like KLM or AF, I normally fly Star Alliance (LH, TK, LX) or Aeroflot. So I was unpleasantly surprised. This represented a hidden charge of ca 30%, and it was not at all clear in the booking process. It would probably not have changed my airline choice or route planning, nut I would have liked to know in advance. The Southampton experience was good (particularly on the return - the train connection is outstanding, but the departure lounge somewhat dismal). I live in West Dorset, so it is great to have a hassle free airport as an alternative to LHR or LGW. My wife is a Russian national, so the passport queue on arrival was a pleasant surprise.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteSouthampton to Strasbourg via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"experience has really been bad"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Milan to Trondheim via Amsterdam. Delayed baggage, simply not managed. Flying via connecting airports may result in delayed luggage; it's annoying but it happens. what I can't understand about this flight is why: my luggage was not boarded in the next flight (in the afternoon), but in the one after that (in the evening). The communication about my luggage from KLM or their handling partner has been virtually nonexistent. I had to purposedly go to TRD Airport the day following my arrival, since there has been no attempt to deliver my luggage to my hotel I had previously flown KLM and via AMS; this time the experience has really been bad with awful baggage service (comparing to other times my baggage has been delayed in other airports)
AircraftE190
RouteMilan to Trondheim via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2018

" Staff are always friendly and efficient"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Another great journey with KLM. The airline provided excellent lounge facilities, 3rd party at Barcelona and its own at Amsterdam. Flights were both very nice, Economy Comfort provided at no cost to Platinum card holders is an excellent benefit and the few extra inches make the flights much more comfortable. In-flight refreshments were excellent, I was upgraded for the second flight so they were even better but even in economy there is a good selection of drinks. Staff are always friendly and efficient in my experience and these flights did not disappoint. My only suggestion would be that KLM/Air France follow the rest of the market and offer the Economy Plus "comfort" benefit to 1 passenger accompanying the Platinum cardholder, its really the only thing that I don't like about these airlines. Thanks again KLM.
RouteBarcelona to Newcastle via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Very impressed on this short flight"

Trip Verified | Very impressed on this short flight from LBA to AMS on KL1550 on the 19th of June. The flight departed on time. The cabin crew were very polite and offered us a snack and drink on this short flight. Landed on time too. Honestly cant fault them. The price was fantastic too in comparison to low cost carriers! I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again, given other airlines like BA now charge for food and drink on European flights. Well done KLM!
AircraftEmbraer RJ-190
RouteLeeds to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2018

"meals wasn't competitive"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Istanbul via Amsterdam. First of all, check-in was not good at all. The lady was so sullen. She kept answering my questions like: No, no and no! She never smiled, never! I mean like it was a bad experience checking in. I'd give the flight crew somewhere between 8 to 9 out of 10. They were friendly. There were 2 meals served during an 11-hour flight which wasn't competitive when compared to its competitors like Delta, Turkish Airlines, and Qatar Airways. Although the food was good. There was also a box made of cardboard where you could get some snacks (4 kinds) Salty crackers, mentos, raisin bar and also small chocolates. But the curtain was closed almost everytime during the flight and the flight attendants were chatting inside so you couldn't get in. I could get snacks for only like an hour or so.
AircraftBoeing 747-400 / 737-700
RouteLos Angeles to Istanbul via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"most incompetent flight crew"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Vienna. Rudest and most incompetent flight crew I ever encountered. Super chaotic boarding, bad planning and no politeness whatsoever when they talk to customers - a flight attendant hits me on the head because he is not paying attention where he shoves his elbow and then instead of saying “Im sorry” and being polite, he is rude. Never book this airline if you have an alternative.
RouteAmsterdam to Vienna