Kenya Airways

"nonsensical and unfair policies"

Trip Verified | I will never fly with Kenya Airways again! Or a heads up for anyone who is daft enough to fly Kenya Airways. They call themselves the Pride of Africa! I would like to challenge that and say they are the hustlers of Africa. They have left me stranded in Kenya with half my family on the flight and put a suspension on the last leg of my flight due to me missing one leg of my domestic internal flights. Even though I have fairly paid for all my seats on all the connecting flights. Speaking of the unhelpful customer services. I spent 30 mins on the phone, only to be placed on hold and eventually cut off with the issue unresolved. I then decided to go to the main office in Nairobi in hopes that something could be appeased only to find out that my only option is to book a new flight. My primary advice would be, never to fly with Kenya Airways, they have such nonsensical and unfair policies. If you are forced to fly Kenya Airways remember to take all your connecting flights and if you miss it for any unfortunate circumstance notify the airlines.
RouteKenya to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I would fly again"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Mombasa to Guangzhou via Nairobi. The Boeing 787 is a must try service on long range routes and they have great inflight service. I only got confused at the number of times cabin crew changed but still great, good food, great sleeper seat. I would fly again. Only let down ground crew especially in Guangzhou and Mombasa, difficult people.
AircraftB787-800
RouteMombasa to Guangzhou via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2017

"the plane was old and dirty too"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | We arrived in Dubai and searched for our baggage for 2 hours, got sent from pillar to post until we were eventually sent to the baggage claims dept, only to be told there wasn’t enough time to put our baggage, 4 suitcases, on the plane in Nairobi, so it was left behind, but it would arrive the following day at 1.30 am, 20 hours later! The result, one whole day wasted. At departure in Cape Town we were told they had no fragile stickers, my husband and I were put in separate seating areas, despite purchasing the tickets simultaneously, using one card. they managed to sort that out as we boarded.The plane was old and dirty too! The mistake and lack of acknowledgement is 930 AED and 20 hours wasted. Eventually we got hold of the Kenya Airways office at Dubai airport, who organized with Emirates to bring our suitcases with their next flight which lands at 10.30 tonight, so here we wait! I will never recommend Kenya to any of our expat friends who travel this flight on a regular basis.
RouteCape Town to Dubai via Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the nightmare that awaited us"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Dakar to Johannesburg via Nairobi. A colleague and I were booked to travel from Dakar to Nairobi and from Nairobi to Johannesburg. The point of taking this route was to get to Johannesburg before noon on Saturday 9th in order to attend to other commitments there. Kenya Airways seemed the most convenient for our requirements, there was a two hour plus gap between the scheduled arrival time of KQ513 and the departure time of KQ760 - so none of us could have imagined the nightmare that awaited us at the Kenya Airways hub in Nairobi! Due to a 2hour 15 minute (or longer) delay of the departure of KQ513 from Dakar, we barely made it on time for our connecting flight. There was no ground staff available to assist us get to the connecting flight. The ground staff at the gate were quick to gleefully tell us that we had been off-loaded from flight KQ760 to Johannesburg. They were there to block not to facilitate passengers. Following desperate pleas, they decided to board the business class passengers and not economy class - thus separating my colleague and I. When I pleaded on my colleague's behalf I was told that not enough meals were loaded into the economy class cabin! If passengers are late due to a Kenyan Airways delay (and no fault of their own) ground staff should meet the passengers and escort them to the connecting flight if it is still on the ground. In the event that the flight is over-booked tell passengers the truth than use an excuse as pathetic as the one that was given by ground staff.
RouteDakar to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2017

"disappointed in this bad service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Addis Ababa via Nairobi. Upon arrival in Addis Ababa, I collected my suitcase - only to find that it had been terribly damaged. What’s more is that I paid extra to have the bag wrapped in South Africa. I immediately went to the baggage help desk, where I was given a reference number and told that I would be contacted. For the entire stay in Ethiopia, I was not contacted by Kenya Airways. When I returned to South Africa, I emailed the airline asking for an update. I was referred to someone else and have still not been helped! Truly disappointed in this bad service.
RouteJohannesburg to Addis Ababa via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Average to very poor experience"

(Senegal)

Trip Verified | Average to very poor experience. They lost my baggage and still have not provided any update or response to my several enquiries to date. I was on their flight from Dakar to Lusaka (and later to Heathrow and back to Dakar). I flew out on 4th November, arrived in Lusaka on the 5th. The bag did not arrive. I made a formal report immediately at the airport. I had to follow up severally with them. No one ever got in touch with me to give any feedback. On my way to Nairobi (and in Nairobi) I was able to get hold of a representative. I was asked to fill a claim form on the 11th of November and assured that they will get back to me within 28 days. I did everything they asked me to do. I heard nothing back from them - not at any point. I called today (12th of December) and was told my file had been "closed" and it is assumed the matter was resolved. I have asked that I need a resolution. I have not experienced such poor service anywhere. Never fly them if you have an alternative.
RouteDakar to Lusaka via Abidjan and Nairobi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Never would fly with them again"

Trip Verified | We travelled Business class from London to Cape Town via Nairobi and Kenya Airways lost our bags! We have spent our entire last 2 days trying to get this sorted with Kenya Airways and the Customer Service representatives cannot be bothered. We have been directed round and around in circles. Never would we pay to fly with them again!
RouteLondon to Cape Town via Nairobi

"more than disappointed"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | Dar Es salaam to Bangkok via Nairobi. I had the worst experience with Kenya Airways. My flight got canceled for 7hrs, they provided us with accommodation in Nairobi. However, one of the staff at the airport in Nairobi told me Kenya Airways isn’t responsible for my ticket from Bangkok to Phuket because it was domestic flight I was meant to use Thai Airways ). It was their fault that my ticket from Bangkok to Phuket went to waste yet they told me I have to pay for my own expenses. I am more than disappointed with this flight. I won’t recommend to use it if you have a connecting flight from Nairobi. They do not take responsibility when it comes to such big matters.
RouteDar Es salaam to Bangkok via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2017

" Food and beverages acceptable"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Khartoum via Nairobi. Kenya Airways is not bad. Flights are in time, but found some cabin crew not fully experienced. Food and beverages are acceptable. But lack of option and choice of service for the last seated passengers. Inflight entertainment is okay but not updated.
AircraftEmbraer 190 / Boeing 737-800
RouteMumbai to Khartoum via Nairobi
Date FlownOctober 2017

Kenya Airways customer review

(Kenya)

Verified Review | Nairobi to Amsterdam. The announcement about boarding times were clear during the waiting period. Boarding gates opened early enough. It was easy to locate the gates as the airport is clearly marked and well lit. The Boeing B787-8 is new, even though the seat i had was somehow uncomfortable but with adequate leg room nevertheless. The cabin crew were quite welcoming and wore a welcoming smile. The aircraft left on time. Once airborne we were served snacks, then a tasty meal followed including options of drinks, no sooner had we settled for a nab another round of snacks came along, then a meal. It was an endless supply of food by an efficient cabin crew. We landed at Amsterdam on time. I recommend this airline.
RouteNairobi to Amsterdam