Kenya Airways

"Avoid at all cost"

(China)

Verified Review | We bought a return flight between Guangzhou and Nairobi, while from Guangzhou to Nairobi is via Hanoi and from Nairobi to Guangzhou is via Bangkok. When we were checking in just now for our flight back to Guangzhou, we confirmed our destination with the staff, but they still gave us boarding passes which said from Nairobi to Bangkok. But for my asking the airline desk later when we got into the waiting area, we wouldn't even know that we still need boarding passes from Bangkok to Guangzhou and things would be even more troublesome if I hadn't asked. Never seen a via flight that requires 2 boarding passes for a person, each for a sector of the flight! When we flew from Guangzhou to Nairobi, it was only one boarding pass per person. More bizarrely, we are placed in different seats these two sectors, which means we will still have to change seats when we arrive in Bangkok! Moreover, flight service is mediocre. Avoid at all cost.
RouteNairobi to Guangzhou via Bangkok

"Two horrible encounters"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Bangkok via Nairobi. Johannesburg to Nairobi the staff were rude and you felt like you were the one being inconsiderate when asking for any help. The flight was ok just the cabin crew were unfriendly and unapproachable. The second flight was from Nairobi to Bangkok and experienced the same issues with the cabin crew except this time after pressing for assistance as they missed us for documentation that needed filling they never came so I pressed for assistance again and no one came - so clicked it again and a flight attendant came storming down the isle and yelled at us to the point where we could not speak because she was busy telling us off for clicking the button more then once. Two horrible encounters with Kenya Airways and would not recommend this airline.
RouteJohannesburg to Bangkok via Nairobi

"helpful crew members"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Took a flight from Johannesburg to London (via Nairobi) and a return from Amsterdam to Johannesburg (via Nairobi). I was pleasantly surprised by the airline and staff members. All flights departed on-time and arrivals were ahead of schedule. What the airline lacked was made up for by helpful crew members. I would fly with the airline again.
RouteAmsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"FA's were very busy the whole flight"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg - Nairobi - Johannesburg outbound 25 June 2017, inbound 1 July 2017. Was on B787-8 for the first time. Very nice aircraft indeed and great leg room. FA's were great on both routes. On the outbound flight before we left the terminal we were served water and soda and towels. Snacks served as soon as the seat belt were off and lunch not long after. The FA's were very busy the whole flight, approx. 3.30 hrs. Return was much the same. Food was average airline but edible. Entertainment not fantastic but suitable for this flight. This is the second time I have used Kenya Airways and they are really very good. Will recommend.
RouteJoahnnesburg to Nairobi
Date FlownJune 2017

"negative and unpleasant experience"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Johannesburg via Nairobi. We had the misfortune of experiencing 'the pride of Africa' on our honeymoon to Vietnam in April 2017. Our negative and unpleasant experience with Kenya Airways culminated in the loss of my wife's luggage upon arrival in Johannesburg. After numerous phone calls and emails, absolutely nothing was done to locate this luggage and eventually the airline merely admitted that it was untraceable. None of our calls were ever returned, we received differing stories of the bag not being loaded first in Hanoi and then in Nairobi. It became quite obvious from the outset that the airline did not care about this problem and could not be bothered to help us. The flight experience was unprofessional, tardy, and disrespectful towards the passengers. Traveling between Hanoi and Nairobi felt like the passengers were alone on the flight and when the air hostess staff were visible, they were sullen, impatient and obviously cared very little for the wellbeing and comfort of the passengers on board. Upon boarding the flight in Hanoi, we were not greeted by a single staff member. Passengers were sleeping in incorrect seats and no air hostess could be found to assist us. Food was served with an air of contempt and annoyance. The hot breakfast consisted of a stale croissant and fruit. Drinks were served once on the flight. Trays took more than an hour to be cleared. An all round ghastly experience hopefully not to ever be repeated. We arrived home from an amazing honeymoon with a bitter taste in our mouths and one less bag. Stay away - not worth the lower cost at all.
RouteHanoi to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"the flight was very good"

(Democratic Republic of the Congo)

Verified Review | Lubumbashi to Nairobi. As bad as Lubumbashi is as Airport, as great was the service by the Kenya Airways ground crew. I could check my baggage all the way through to Zurich and received all boarding Passes even as I switched from Skyteam to Star Alliance. The whole check in procedure took only 5 minutes. The flight was very good, with comfortable seats, good food and great red wine. Staff was super friendly
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteLubumbashi to Nairobi

"Good first experience"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi. Clean airplanes, welcoming crew. Departures on time. Service onboard was efficient and friendly. Catering just enough, portions rather small but tasteful. In-flight entertainment poor as well as the quality and availability of working head-sets. Good first experience, though still not to compare with the Middle East carriers.
RouteAmsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"personal, friendly and warm"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Mombasa via Nairobi. Due to technical issues with the original airline, we were rebooked on Kenya Airways. Boeing 787 was in in mint condition. Warmly welcomed by the purser and shown to our seats. The business class is called Premium World and seats in a 2-2-2 configuration with fully reclining seats. Offered a welcome drink and introduced to staff who would look after us personally. Warm towels followed by a review of the menu and wine list by the stewardess. Flight left on time and was smooth. Seat was comfortable and I managed a good hour nap laying flat. Luncheon included an amuse bouche, followed by a salad and two options for main. I opted for the steak which was slightly over done but still yummy. My fellow traveller tasted the wines and he loved the selection of South African wines. The service was personal, friendly and warm. Not too much or too fawning. The Kenyan coffee was a lovely surprise! My one complaint is that the in flight entertainment isn't up to the level of Emirates but I have encountered few airlines that have matched that. Landing on time and we had priority lane through immigration. Shorter flight was on an Embraer E190. First time flying this aircraft and what a little delight! Similar warm service with good humour. Definitely recommend.
RouteJohannesburg to Mombasa via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"Overall, a nice experience"

Verified Review | Despite a 2.5hour delay due to technical issues, the flight went on fine. A wide variety of food options were available, and the food was average. Seats were comfortable with excellent recline, and large (comfy) blankets are provided for sleeping. The bathroom at the front of the aircraft is quite small and cramped, offering no additional features compared to the bathrooms in Economy; in fact, the bathrooms in Economy are more spacious. Cabin lights are practically turned off overnight, allowing for a good night's sleep. There is a TV screen, tray table and power socket in the armrest. TV screen is nice and large. Noise cancelling headphones are provided, I found them rather comfortable and I have a fairly large head and wear glasses. The selection of inflight TV programs is average. Passengers in Business class are treated fairly well. An amenity kit is given (which contains a toothbrush, socks, a pen, a comb, and an eye mask) which is nice. Hot towels are provided at certain points during the flight including upon boarding. The lounge at Nairobi is also quite good. Kenya Airways has a very nice layout of the Airport for Business Class passengers, I had no queues, a very smooth process. Overall, a nice experience. Would've been excellent if technical issues were diagnosed before the flight to avoid delays; and I do hope KQ improves its on-time performance.
RouteNairobi to Dubai
Date FlownApril 2017

"staff made no public announcements"

Verified Review | My Kenya Airways flight from Nairobi to Paris (a codeshare with Air France) was delayed and eventually left 14 h after the scheduled time. We had to queue for almost an hour at 1.30 am to get a voucher for a taxi as they were all written by hand and we were not given a hotel voucher, just told to go to a hotel (which very kindly took us in based on our word that our flight was delayed). We did not collect our luggage. We were told by KQ staff at the airport that we would be collected at 11 am the following day. The next morning I looked at my booking on the internet to see that the plane was scheduled to leave at 11 am. I took a taxi to the airport from the city and when I checked in I was told that the plane was leaving at 11 am. I got the same message at the boarding gate where they were getting ready to accept passengers. The airport staff seemed not to be aware that there were 200+ passengers in hotels in Nairobi. We had to wait for them to arrive. We were then told to go to gate 13 but the plane was at gate 14. We left 14 hours late. Kenya Airways staff made no public announcements during the whole of this shambles, and no apology was given until we heard from the pilot that passengers had to be collected from Nairobi. The staff at the gate seemed leaderless and unable to communicate with the many anxious passengers who had missed their connecting flights and would not arrive in Paris until 9 pm, too late to get anywhere. I had to pay for a hotel in Paris and then continue my journey by train the next day.
RouteLusaka to Paris via Nairobi