Kenya Airways

"Do not fly this airline"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Nairobi. This airline lost our luggage for 7 days. Our dream holiday was a disaster. Could not get hold of any of their baggage handling departments in either Johannesburg or Nairobi. Many many emails to customer services all went unreplied. According to hotel staff in Nairobi this is a very regular occurrence. To date, we have had no interaction nor an apology from this airline. Do not fly this airline if you can help it.
RouteJohannesburg to Nairobi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"avoid this airline"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I can only recommend to anyone to avoid this airline. I would even pay a bit more, just to avoid Kenya Airways. First, our flight was canceled and we were given no information as to why. The next one went only 24h later. During this time, they provided us accommodation, but only two meals. When I asked for a third, they declined. When I said that I disagree, they simply said I could file a complaint to their main office. On board, our ordered special meals were missing. Once finally arrived, my bag was missing. They managed at least to get it to my hotel within 24h. When I wanted to introduce compensation claims (for the flight and baggage delays), they sent me from one office to another. Up to this date, the claims are still pending and I am not sure to get any form of compensation for the stress, energy and extra expenses.
RouteDakar to Johanesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"missed our connecting flight"

Not Verified | On the 30-07-2018 my 2 year old granddaughter and I were on a return flight from Harare to Bristol via Lusaka, Nairobi and Paris. When we arrived in Lusaka (Zambia) we were informed that the plane was technically unfit to fly to Nairobi. This caused an unexpected 6 hour delay in Lusaka. In Lusaka no announcement was given in regards as to what was going to take. As a result of this delay we missed our connecting flight in Nairobi to France which was at 23:00 hrs on the the same day. On arrival in Nairobi the following morning 31-07-2018 we were informed that the next available flight was available causing in fact a further 15 hour delay in our travel. Kenya airways booked us on a flight with KLM to Amsterdam which was a change from Paris to Bristol in our original itinerary. All these delays and changes in our flights was extremely stressful.
RouteHarare to Paris via Lusaka, Nairobi

Kenya Airways customer review

Trip Verified | Kigali to London via Nairobi. Lost Luggage I missed a connecting flight to London due to multiple delays. The departure time on the ticket is just a suggestion. I and my friend were on 4 different flights and all the flight were delayed which makes me think the issues with my flight was not an isolated or rare incident. After missing the flight I asked for my luggage, they said they couldn't get it for me but assured me that it would be put on the new (Kenya airways) flight that put me on for the next day. On getting to the airport I confirmed 3 times at different stages with the ground staff and they checked (or pretended to) their computer and confirmed that my luggage was on the flight only to get to Heathrow and find out that it was never put on the flight. Then the nightmare begins, their customer service phone doesn't work, it passes you through a couple of options and then automatically drops the line. Online chat doesn't work. You get intermittent help on twitter even though they are actively retweeting positive stories about the rubbish airline.
RouteKigali to London via Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"very average experience"

(Uganda)

Trip Verified | Entebbe to London via Nairobi. Overall a very average experience, with staff generally going through the motions, medicore food, limited drinks and three-star entertainment. Excellent baggage allowance and quick connecting times make this an acceptable option on the Uganda - UK routing if the price is right. My headphone socket was broke on the day time NBO - LHR flight which was really disappointing. No sparkling water available nor Amarula. Duty free items requested not available (and I tried to order in advance which also did not work properly). Totally full flight London - Nairobi departed with a 90 minute delay on the tarmac whilst awaiting ATC issues. Captain welcomed us with a 'Good Morning' (at 7 p.m. this was slightly disconcerting) and gave us very limited information about the delay. Cabin crew went round with water on one side of the cabin - but not on ours. On time arrival into Entebbe and luggage out quickly (reassuring considering the delay in London making the connection tighter than it should have been). A cooked breakfast on either the early morning arrival into Nairobi or the 8 a.m. arrival into Uganda would have been really welcomed. Nairobi still a much better transit airport than Addis, but both carriers way short of the standards set by Qatar Airways, Emirates and KLM which also compete on this route at good prices.
AircraftBoeing 787 / Embraer
RouteEntebbe to London via Nairobi

"luggage went missing"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Accra via Nairobi. My luggage went missing in Nairobi. Took three days to have my bags arrive in Johannesburg. When I got my luggage zips were broken, locks removed and my some of my stuff were not inside.
AircraftB787-8
RouteJohannesburg to Accra via Nairobi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"they are just not reliable"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Cape Town via Nairobi. It took Kenya Airways more than 4 days to cancel the flight I had booked for November 2018, because they found that the price was too cheap. In their app it is still confirmed. I will never fly this airline because they are just not reliable.
RouteAmsterdam to Cape Town via Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"complain the poor services"

(China)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Guangzhou. I am writing to complain the poor services provided Kenya Airways. It is the most disappointed and frustrating journey. According to the flight information, the aircraft should have taken off at 3:00pm in Bankkok and arrived in Guangzhou at 7:00 pm on that day. However, once we checked in, we were told that the flight was delayed without detailed reason provided. Neither ground staff nor cabin crew could confirm the exact boarding time. We had been waiting restlessly for more than 5 hours without any notice or compensation. That is unacceptable. It was until 8:25 pm that the flight took off, which was 5 hours and 25 minutes later than it was supposed to be. That ruined our trip on that day. In addition, during the flight, one of passengers sitting behind me kept asking cabin crew for alcohol, it astonished me that the cabin crew continued to offer her more alcohol. Consequently, that overly-drunk lady was out of control, singing and laughing loudly. It annoyed all the other surrounding passengers and adversely affected the safety of the flight. I tried to summon assistance from the crew. It surprised me that the crew ignored my call for four times. I cannot tolerate such bad behaviour. This is the worst flight and airline that I have ever taken. I will never choose Kenya Airways for any single trip in future.
RouteBangkok to Guangzhou
Date FlownJune 2018

"5 days later and still no bag"

Trip Verified | Heathrow to Lilongwe via Nairobi and 30hours later ther luggage doesn’t arrive at the other end. The next day I ring the airport and told luggage will be on the next flight, from Heathrow and will arrive in Lilongwe and I can collect from there. I pay 70 dollars for a cab back to the airport as a single young female, to be told, your luggage didn’t reach Lilongwe as it had to stay in Nairobi airport as there wasn’t any room on the flight! Not just your bag but 17 others! But why this wasn’t priority as they didn’t get it right the first time , I don’t know! To be told the next day that you would get a telephone call to arrange pick up of your bag, simple right? No. You arrive at the collection area to pick up your luggage and it’s looked and because it’s sun you’ll have to sit and wait. 6.45-9 am still no one? And when you go and look for that person who knows you are waiting, she is sat having breakfast! It is now 5 days later and still no bag. The staff have been next to useless except for one kind soul who may or may not deliver, watch this space. The latest is they will deliver her bag tonight or tomorrow 6-7 days after. This is not acceptable what is so difficult.
RouteHeathrow to Lilongwe via Nairobi

"a pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Nairobi to Cape Town via Livingstone. We took a few days' break in Livingstone between Nairobi and Cape Town, and so experienced two separate KQ flights. Both check-ins and boarding processes were smooth and easy - except that on the first flight some passengers were allowed to carry huge quantities of hand luggage on board, causing some chaos and frayed tempers. The seats were a little narrow. On the first flight the breakfast served was expansive, with three choices offered in economy class; the lunch on the second flight was also good. The first crew were rather brusque and unsmiling -- but this was made up for by the friendly crew on the second flight (which was much less full). On both flights the crews served all the food and drinks in a few pass-throughs in the first hour, and then disappeared until landing. The flights operated on time and luggage was quick to appear. Overall a pleasant experience.
AircraftE190