Airline of the Year

Kenya Airways

"negative and unpleasant experience"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Johannesburg via Nairobi. We had the misfortune of experiencing 'the pride of Africa' on our honeymoon to Vietnam in April 2017. Our negative and unpleasant experience with Kenya Airways culminated in the loss of my wife's luggage upon arrival in Johannesburg. After numerous phone calls and emails, absolutely nothing was done to locate this luggage and eventually the airline merely admitted that it was untraceable. None of our calls were ever returned, we received differing stories of the bag not being loaded first in Hanoi and then in Nairobi. It became quite obvious from the outset that the airline did not care about this problem and could not be bothered to help us. The flight experience was unprofessional, tardy, and disrespectful towards the passengers. Traveling between Hanoi and Nairobi felt like the passengers were alone on the flight and when the air hostess staff were visible, they were sullen, impatient and obviously cared very little for the wellbeing and comfort of the passengers on board. Upon boarding the flight in Hanoi, we were not greeted by a single staff member. Passengers were sleeping in incorrect seats and no air hostess could be found to assist us. Food was served with an air of contempt and annoyance. The hot breakfast consisted of a stale croissant and fruit. Drinks were served once on the flight. Trays took more than an hour to be cleared. An all round ghastly experience hopefully not to ever be repeated. We arrived home from an amazing honeymoon with a bitter taste in our mouths and one less bag. Stay away - not worth the lower cost at all.
RouteHanoi to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"the flight was very good"

(Democratic Republic of the Congo)

Verified Review | Lubumbashi to Nairobi. As bad as Lubumbashi is as Airport, as great was the service by the Kenya Airways ground crew. I could check my baggage all the way through to Zurich and received all boarding Passes even as I switched from Skyteam to Star Alliance. The whole check in procedure took only 5 minutes. The flight was very good, with comfortable seats, good food and great red wine. Staff was super friendly
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteLubumbashi to Nairobi

"Good first experience"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi. Clean airplanes, welcoming crew. Departures on time. Service onboard was efficient and friendly. Catering just enough, portions rather small but tasteful. In-flight entertainment poor as well as the quality and availability of working head-sets. Good first experience, though still not to compare with the Middle East carriers.
RouteAmsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"personal, friendly and warm"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Mombasa via Nairobi. Due to technical issues with the original airline, we were rebooked on Kenya Airways. Boeing 787 was in in mint condition. Warmly welcomed by the purser and shown to our seats. The business class is called Premium World and seats in a 2-2-2 configuration with fully reclining seats. Offered a welcome drink and introduced to staff who would look after us personally. Warm towels followed by a review of the menu and wine list by the stewardess. Flight left on time and was smooth. Seat was comfortable and I managed a good hour nap laying flat. Luncheon included an amuse bouche, followed by a salad and two options for main. I opted for the steak which was slightly over done but still yummy. My fellow traveller tasted the wines and he loved the selection of South African wines. The service was personal, friendly and warm. Not too much or too fawning. The Kenyan coffee was a lovely surprise! My one complaint is that the in flight entertainment isn't up to the level of Emirates but I have encountered few airlines that have matched that. Landing on time and we had priority lane through immigration. Shorter flight was on an Embraer E190. First time flying this aircraft and what a little delight! Similar warm service with good humour. Definitely recommend.
RouteJohannesburg to Mombasa via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"Overall, a nice experience"

Verified Review | Despite a 2.5hour delay due to technical issues, the flight went on fine. A wide variety of food options were available, and the food was average. Seats were comfortable with excellent recline, and large (comfy) blankets are provided for sleeping. The bathroom at the front of the aircraft is quite small and cramped, offering no additional features compared to the bathrooms in Economy; in fact, the bathrooms in Economy are more spacious. Cabin lights are practically turned off overnight, allowing for a good night's sleep. There is a TV screen, tray table and power socket in the armrest. TV screen is nice and large. Noise cancelling headphones are provided, I found them rather comfortable and I have a fairly large head and wear glasses. The selection of inflight TV programs is average. Passengers in Business class are treated fairly well. An amenity kit is given (which contains a toothbrush, socks, a pen, a comb, and an eye mask) which is nice. Hot towels are provided at certain points during the flight including upon boarding. The lounge at Nairobi is also quite good. Kenya Airways has a very nice layout of the Airport for Business Class passengers, I had no queues, a very smooth process. Overall, a nice experience. Would've been excellent if technical issues were diagnosed before the flight to avoid delays; and I do hope KQ improves its on-time performance.
RouteNairobi to Dubai
Date FlownApril 2017

"staff made no public announcements"

Verified Review | My Kenya Airways flight from Nairobi to Paris (a codeshare with Air France) was delayed and eventually left 14 h after the scheduled time. We had to queue for almost an hour at 1.30 am to get a voucher for a taxi as they were all written by hand and we were not given a hotel voucher, just told to go to a hotel (which very kindly took us in based on our word that our flight was delayed). We did not collect our luggage. We were told by KQ staff at the airport that we would be collected at 11 am the following day. The next morning I looked at my booking on the internet to see that the plane was scheduled to leave at 11 am. I took a taxi to the airport from the city and when I checked in I was told that the plane was leaving at 11 am. I got the same message at the boarding gate where they were getting ready to accept passengers. The airport staff seemed not to be aware that there were 200+ passengers in hotels in Nairobi. We had to wait for them to arrive. We were then told to go to gate 13 but the plane was at gate 14. We left 14 hours late. Kenya Airways staff made no public announcements during the whole of this shambles, and no apology was given until we heard from the pilot that passengers had to be collected from Nairobi. The staff at the gate seemed leaderless and unable to communicate with the many anxious passengers who had missed their connecting flights and would not arrive in Paris until 9 pm, too late to get anywhere. I had to pay for a hotel in Paris and then continue my journey by train the next day.
RouteLusaka to Paris via Nairobi

"6 flights, 5 delays"

(Djibouti)

Verified Review | Djibouti to Antananarivo via Nairobi. My last 6 flights with Kenya Airways, I have had 5 delays in the span of 2 months. That's unacceptable and unprofessional. What is more They don't communicate with their clients out of total disrespect. Has the Pride of Africa become the shame of Africa? Time will tell but at this pace I am going to see somewhere else and get à at least a bit of respect with my money.
AircraftAmbraer 190
RouteDjibouti to Antananarivo via Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2017

"I am really not impressed"

Verified Review | Flew the day flight Kenya Airways from Nairobi to Amsterdam in the new Boeing 787 and I am really not impressed. The 787 is certainly an improvement in comfort and reduce negative effects of flying, but the Business Class of Kenya Airways is just no match for the price, which is 40% more than competition. All in the service is just behind. Lie flat seat is ok but already look old after couple of years, and the conception is already ancient (manual handset with a wire). Service is just too basic for the price you pay, and the staff is pretty cold, un-attentive and seem bored every time you ask something (not all of them, there are couple of pursers really doing it right, but the rest is awful). I am not asking much as flying is a commodity but a minimum of politeness when coughing up 5,000 USD for a 7h flight is a fare expectations, as the level of service is nowhere representative of that. Premium Economy in some European carriers is actually better service for 1/3 of the fare. Meal service is quite basic, you get the plates and in 5 min they are taken out. The cabin is ok but already looks old. Nothing like you should expect in light of the fares charged on this route, and the contrast with KLM is just obvious
RouteNairobi to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2017

"very impressed with them"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Nairobi, and I was very impressed with them. I was taking a school group to Africa and originally was trying to fly Ethiopian or Qatar, but both were booked out so we went with Kenya Airways. We were met at Suvarnabhumi Airport by an agent of the airline as we were a group and check-in was very smooth. Their Boeing 787 seems to have more pitch than others I have flown and so was much more comfortable for me with longer legs on an overnight flight. Flight crew to Nairobi were all African (I specify this as the Nairobi to Bangkok return flight they were all Asian as the flight continues to Hong Kong) and were very professional and provided good service. As the flight originated in China, most passengers on board when we boarded were Chinese and so were typically noisy during the flight, but no more than I have gotten used to! Food was good and served punctually. I even slept a bit during the flight - unusual for me! Overall I recommend them as a cheaper flight to Africa.
RouteBangkok to Nairobi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"The crew was great"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Nairobi. The inbound aircraft from Nairobi was late into Heathrow, we had to briefly go back to the gate with a maintenance issue. One of my reading lights didn't work but these things happen with airlines. The crew was great, the cabin was spotless and meal delicious. They held the connecting flight to Mombasa for me, something that airlines promise but rarely do. That flight had a newish aircraft, charming crew and clear flight deck announcements. They served a warm breakfast, not bad for a 45 minute flight. KQ were equally good on a flight to London a couple of years ago after I slipped a disc and had to be taken home in a wheelchair. I was looked after perfectly until I reached Heathrow. My only criticism is the fault of Kenya Airports Authority. It is unbelievable in the 21st century that to get to JKIA's domestic terminal, you have to push your heavy luggage cart across an enormous car park with kerbs, busy traffic and dubious individuals who want to relieve you of your luggage temporarily - or perhaps permanently. There is no reason not to have a level, paved, lit, signposted pathway - after all if Kenya can get Chinese contractors to finish a brand new railway line between Mombasa and Nairobi with gleaming new stations and viaducts six months early, they can't prevail on the Chinese to build a simple path in a week - if the work is too onerous to do themselves, that is. Or would that deprive freelance porters of income? The car park trek is a huge disincentive to use KQ to domestic destinations in Kenya - it's easier, but not such a pleasant experience, to use Turkish or Ethiopian which fly direct and clear customs at your destination.
RouteLHR to MBA via NBO