Top 100 Airports

Jetstar Airways

"nothing to really complain about"

Verified Review | The Jetstar Airways flight from Perth to Gold Coast was delayed by twenty minutes due to late inbound arrival of aircraft but that was no concern. The pilot did say that we would be landing on the dot, early if Gold Coast airport did not have a curfew. This was due to good tailwinds over continental Australia. I sat in 1E and it was just your normal budget airline. The staff were really friendly and clearly trained very well. There is nothing to really complain about, you get what you paid for, a cheap flight. Cheap seats, cheap cabin and no entertainment. The only thing I would say is that they should increase their menu or put more variety on.
AircraftA320-200
RoutePER to OOL

"good value for money"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled Hanoi to Danang with Jetstar. Online check-in not possible for that stretch. I arrived from International T2 terminal only 25 Minutes before my domestic departure with Jetstar. Jetstar check-in staff was alerted and extremely cooperative to accommodate me on board, despite I had to rush unbelievably. I caused a minor delay of 5 minutes but we arrived on time. As my luggage obviously could not make it, it was, later the same day, with quick assistance from Jetstar, sent with the competing airline, Vietjetair - and I picked it in Danang airport after a few formalities. Onboard on the A320, I found a very good service by FA’s. Food, drinks, items for purchase at OK prices. Good value for money, surprisingly professional handling, despite denoted as a “Low Cost Carrier”.
RouteHAN to DAD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"you can make it much more pleasant"

Verified Review | Flew from Tokyo (Narita) to Melbourne. Check-in opened 3 hours before departure, but there was already a long queue. It was still a half hour wait to be checked in. Staff however were efficient and polite. Boarding was completed ahead of time but the flight still departed nearly ten minutes late. But that is punctual for Jetstar so I can't complain. The economy seat was not comfortable but acceptable, except the IFE was not operating. I hadn't included it in my options but I did need to charge my iPhone and iPad so I could continue to access my own 'entertainment package'. But the USB port was not functioning either. I mentioned it to staff after a couple of hours (the batteries were flat). Staff offered to relocate me to a seat where the IFE worked and also offered complimentary access to the IFE to compensate for the inconvenience. Sensible and polite. That's a tick. I brought my own picnic lunch/dinner - 2 boiled eggs, 2 rolls, 3 onigiri (Japanese rice balls), some fruit and a bottle of water purchased in the boarding area. This was fortuitous as the offered fried rice/noodles options looked OK but pedestrian whereas my little 'picnic' meals were appetising and delicious. It's another tick for Jetstar that they make meals optional and allow you to bring your own. For a cost conscious traveller, Jetstar is now OK (delays notwithstanding). It's spartan but by preparing your own entertainment and meals ahead of the flight, you can make it much more pleasant.
RouteNRT to MEL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"most unorganised set up ever"

Verified Review | Rarotonga to Auckland with Jetstar. Most unorganised set up to ever exist. Haven't flown with them in years because it's always a bad experience, but had not choice on dates and times this time around. No surprise Jetstar still manages to stuff it all up. Late departure because of paperwork problems, then even later departure because they managed to double booked seats on the plane. Simple things they can't get right. I'd rather break my leg than deal with this outfit again.
RouteRAR to AKL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"book with another airline"

Hong Kong to Melbourne via Singapore. Extremely unreliable. I could've not have in-flight entertainment, or meals. I would not have care as much about the delay, but my god are they disorganised! Flight was delayed by 21 hours. Scheduled for 3:50pm, then rescheduled for 5:45pm, then again for 6:20pm. Checkout from the hotel was changed from 2:00pm (which would have worked out great) to 12:00pm. Now I'm stuck in the airport for 6 hours, with zero assurance the flight will be scheduled for the time specified. Pay the extra couple of hundred for a better airline, or if you have no other choice, don't bother, extend your stay a couple more nights and book with another airline, otherwise they're likely to extend it for you, in your stop-over, indefinitely.
RouteHKG to MEL via SIN

"experience was unsatisfying"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Flew Denpasar to Melbourne on the Boeing 787 and I have to say that the experience was unsatisfying, if not to say miserable. It did not feel like a normal flight on another aircraft type, but it instead felt much worse than that. We already had a 30mins delay waiting for pushback from Bali's Ngurah Rai airport, for a reason the pilot did not even announce. Additionally it was a red-eye flight, which means that sleep is important on such flight. However this is the least duration of sleep I could ever get on a red eye flight which will be explained further below. Mood lighting was there but not effective at all. The IFE was there with a responsive touchscreen, although money is required to pay for most of the IFE content. Seats were horrible. Leather seats are not at all comfortable, inhibits sleep, as well as those hard headrests that felt very weird to adjust. Seat itself was very narrow at less than 17 inches, and armrest was ridiculously narrow not a hand can comfortably rest on them. The seat pitch was also very narrow at what felt like 30 inches, extremely cramped, and all these contributed to my sleeplessness. What's more the plane was scorching hot, so more than an hour of sleep seems like an incredible feat to do on such a plane. Meal was bland, only the sauce had a slight bit of flavour, although the dessert made up for the bad food. Cabin crew were average with nothing remarkable to speak of. The same can be said on the return flight. Hot plane, narrow seats, bland food but with great deserts, average crew, same IFE. Unfortunately the return flight was much worse, the humidity was causing my runny noise for about an hour. Shades were not able to block light fully. I cannot recommend longhaul flying with the 787 as well as with Jetstar.
RouteDPS to MEL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"wasn't really an enjoyable experience"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Flew Palmerston North to Auckland. It comes down to this: You will get from A to B - but not necessarily when you expected. So if you can afford the time slippages - then $ for $ this is the cheapest solution. Don't fly Jetstar if you have to attend an event or connect with another flight. Is it just my imagination - or does the equation come down to the Jetstar Operations Management canvassing the details and going: - hmmm we don't have a full flight - so we won't spend the $ running the service yet. We'll employ Excuse Code No: 5 of about 10 - which in my case was "your aircraft has been delayed in Auckland due to 'engineering requirements'", thus we can merge the two half empty flights into one - and save on the running costs. Who knows - but it's mighty suspicious when you would expect the airport to be full of 2 sets of passengers waiting to travel - yet hello - it was still just one plane load 3 and a half hours later. So again - for the cheapest option from A to B and it doesn't matter if you get delayed - go for it. As for me, even though I could kind of afford to wait - it just wasn't really an enjoyable experience. Get your complimentary voucher when told there's a delay.
AircraftDash 8
RoutePMR to AKL
Date FlownJune 2016

"generally get what you pay for"

(New Zealand)

Queenstown to Auckland - the downside to flying Jetstar from Queenstown is the 40 min wait in line to check-in. Then to be told your flight is delayed by over an hour and I'm not sure we were told the actual reason for the delay. Don't get me wrong I know these are "first world problems" but if Jetstar want to be a contender with AirNZ on more than just price they need to do way way better in this area. The staff were friendly enough and the queue was not actually that long, but without having self check-in facilities, having on average just 2 staff check people in was not enough. In comparison, all the AirNZ / Virgin Australia check-ins operating (about 6 or so) and they have self service check-ins - hence no real queue there. Therefore my rating for Jetstar, and Qantas for that matter, for check-in service out of Queenstown is 1/10. While I can't rate the delayed flight home at this point, on balance, everything about the flight to Queenstown from Auckland was great. Easy check-in, no delays and comfortable enough flight (although we were lucky and had 6 seats between the 4 of us) on which the crew were great. So 9/10 for that part of the trip. Overall I'll rate my Jetstar experience so far 5/10 and I would recommend them to friends and family but it will come with a warning that you generally get what you pay for.
RouteZQN to AKL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"couldn't fault the flight"

Flew Jetstar Airways from Cairns to Adelaide. Seat 1A - definitely worth the few extra $s for the legroom as (like most economy classes these days, including Virgin Australia and Qantas) passengers squeezed in like sardines, especially those in middle seats. Couldn't fault the flight, despite a 20 minute delay due to having to offload luggage in Adelaide belonging to a no-show passenger. Thanks to a strong tail wind, flight took only 2hrs 40 mins. Flight attendants were friendly and professional, and the female co-pilot and her captain brought the aircraft in for the smoothest landing I've experienced. Is it because I was in an exit seat that I was referred to by my first name whenever the flight attendant spoke to me? Closest thing to feeling like a business class passenger on a budget airline. Have flown Jetstar on four occasions now, and have never had a problem.
RouteCNS to ADL
Date FlownJune 2016

"assuming passengers are incompetent"

Verified Review | Jetstar Airways flight from Sydney to Melbourne cancelled before the incoming had arrived (courtesy of FlightTracker24) but fifteen minutes anyway. Reason given is "scheduled engineering", if this airline pretends that when they would logically have known weeks in advance is 1) lying 2) incomptent 3) assuming their passengers are incompetent, or 4) all of the above. Rebooked to flight following 60 minutes later. Okay. Board. Sit. Wait. Bored. Over the next two hours there are no fewer than 7 announcements from The Deck explaining how it'll be "five or ten more minutes". I'm going with a comination of 2) and 3) above.
RouteSYD to MEL