Jetstar Airways

Review by (Australia) 2nd August 2015

Jetstar insist frequently enough during the online ticket purchase process that passengers must get to the airport 2 hours prior to departure which we dutifully did, arriving at Melbourne airport a bit before 4 am, to catch the 6:05 am jetstar flight to Sydney. When we arrived check in had just opened and there were only 2 staff checking baggage. Got our baggage tag and got in the queue. Then they proceeded to call out every single passenger whose flight were departing before ours, regardless of where they were in the queue. At one point the front line stood still for more than 49 minutes whilst jet star personnel were pulling people out of the other lanes and getting them checked in. When we finally got seen - after a riot nearly broke out - the check in guy told us we had less than 5 minutes to get through security and make our flight. We had to run like mad. Our flight was at 6:05 am! I don't care about the pay per use for extra stuff like bags, food, seat assignments etc - it's a nuisance but fine. I'll pay, as long as I get the service. The lack of a coordinated path to check baggage for passengers and poor organization at the airport is simply not acceptable and no cheap airfare makes this worth the anxiety! It is maddening and made me angry and resentful. I can't believe this airline is a Qantas offshoot. In the end don't bother with the 2 hours early part. It does not make any difference trust me!! At least not for domestic flights departing Melbourne. Get there 45 minutes before your flight, flag a staff member and tell them your flight is boarding now and you'll get right up the front of the queue and wave bye bye to the poor sops who play by the rules. Basic definitions of service do not apply here and it is NOT first come first serve as they claim. It is next flight out gets first priority, which makes for a highly stressful experience. Definitely not worth the aggravation from my personal experience.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney

Review by (New Zealand) 18th July 2015

First time flying Jetstar International, were flying from OOL (Gold Coast) to Wellington. Have heard some pretty average reviews with Jetstar for a little while. Considering Gold Coast to Wellington is a new route for Jetstar I was expecting a fair bit of turning in the air. We had also flew Wellington to Gold Coast when we were coming to Gold Coast, surprisingly we had the same Head Pilot for both flights, very friendly! Around 1/2 way through the flight the food cart came around, we were quite lucky because they told us each and every one in our family had $10 vouchers. In the end we couldn't even spend $40 on food! Staff were really friendly and was a beautiful day to travel. We landed in Wellington 30 minutes early.
AircraftAirbus A320
RouteCoolangatta (Gold Coast) to Wellington

Review by (Germany) 14th July 2015

We were checked in at flight GK109 from Tokyo to Sapporo. 15 minutes before boarding time we recognized some problems because Japanese passengers were discussing something with Jetstar airline staff heavily. No one spoke English but I understood the word 'canceled'. I asked for a manager to come, but they say we had to go to the check-in hall again for check-out. To make the story short no assistance, no information, no help was provided. I understand this is cheap airline but also the worst, try Air Asia which has excellent staff and organization for comparison.
RouteTokyo to Sapporo

Review by (Australia) 13th July 2015

Business Class with a budget carrier, but you would hardly have noticed with the excellent customer service. Champagne before take-off with a follow up choice of drinks. The meal range was quite good and the food was barely recognisable as airline food. The seats were certainly comfortable enough. The only downsides I could think of was a lack of available movies to watch and there was no priority boarding. Other than these small issues, the flight was a credit to the airline.
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok

Review by (Australia) 10th July 2015

About 6 years ago I swore never to fly on Jetstar again, unfortunately urgent circumstances required my family and I to fly from Auckland to Wellington NZ. Normally we would have taken an Air New Zealand flight, but flights all full and we had a time dealing to get to Wellington. Cramped seating, and sub standard service from start to finish pretty much sums up this awful excuse for an airline. Qantas must be ashamed to have an association Jetstar. We get to Wellington and in a rush to make a function and in true Jetstar form, no bags arrive off the conveyor. After almost 20 minutes and about 40 plus customers all standing about awaiting bags, several customers like myself started making approaches to Jetstar. Apparently the machine that unloads luggage from the plane is broken and they didn't have another. Made worse because they were too cheap to hire one from Air NZ to get the plane unloaded. 50 minutes later customers were starting a small riot wanting to know what was going on. Jetstar never made any PA announcements, nor did they apologise when we finally got luggage 1.25 hours after the flight landed. They aren't a cheap airline to fly on anyway. By the time you buy a ticket, then a meal, pay extra for a bag etc, you could have purchased an economy ticket on another airline and had all the extras for free and excellent service.
RouteAuckland to Wellington

Review by (Australia) 10th July 2015

Pleasantly surprised, enjoyed the flight. New plane, great crew, full flight. This flight is only 2.5 hours and leaves Darwin at 1.30pm getting into Cairns at 4.30. Pre-ordered meals, fish and chips and toasted sandwich, food was fine and ordered a couple of wines. Scored vouchers also, plus Qantas points and status credits. Flight was on time and check-in at Darwin was fairly quick. Have used Qantas on this route, but Jetsar better with daytime flight. Able to use Qantas Club beforehand, handy for a drink before flight. Have since been on this flight again, will review later.
AircraftAirbus 320
RouteDarwin to Cairns

Review by (Australia) 3rd July 2015

Jetstar offer a very poor service, even in their so called business class. The seating is cramped with the seat in front reclining right in your lap and the drinks service very poor with one glass of wine with your meal and thats it, I was not offered a top up at all. Inflight entertainment was poor with a selection of about 8 watchable movies and some TV shows, overall the entertainment was very ordinary. I would not fly this airline again considering the poor service and seating. There are other choices on this route in business class for around the same price.
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok

Review by (Australia) 3rd July 2015

Firstly they did not serve drinks prior (or even with) the meal - this service took place after dinner. Secondly they took so long to clear the dinner service that passengers were taking their trays to the galley themselves and stacking them in piles! Inflight entertainment is very expensive. Seats very uncomfortable and did not recline back far enough to be comfortable and allow sleep.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteSydney to Bali

Review by (Thailand) 30th June 2015

My first and last flight with Jetstar JQ30. After security at Bangkok I purchased water in departures just before boarding, but was taken off me when boarding as I was told water was not allowed on this flight. I was assured plenty would be available in flight. After take off I requested water to and was presented with a tiny bottle of water and asked for four dollars. I purchased six of these during the flight. In all my years of flying i have never experienced this. I have flown Ryanair around Europe and have no qualms with a budget flight on short haul of a few hours but never imagined this scenario on a 9 hour long haul. I will not fly Jetstar again. Perhaps my fault for not checking out Jetstar before booking.
RouteBangkok to Melbourne

Review by (Australia) 28th June 2015

Service was good by the attendants. MEL-SIN legs IPads had enough content for an 8 hour flight. I prefer these as they come with noise cancelling headphones and better quality than seat back entertainment. Food was hit and miss but didn't go hungry. Seats are ok for day flight but struggled to get comfortable for the return night flight. I have to agree with other reviews in regards to space between seats. If you are seated against a window or middle seat, you will struggle for space once the people in front of you recline. Also on one leg there was gaffer tape used on one seat. Not a good look SIN-SGN return. Return flight was delayed but overall was a good experience. If you can get business on Jestar at a good price go for it, otherwise save your money.
AircraftA330, / A321