Airline of the Year

Jet Airways

"unlikely I will fly Jet again"

Verified Review | Mumbai to London Heathrow. This is the sixth time I have flown a return trip to India with Jet. The ticket I had bought allowed me one free change of return date. When I tried to get Jet to change this I was told, for the first time, I would have to get my travel agent in England to do this. When I contacted my travel agent they told me that the fare I had booked was now full and I would have to spend another £195 to fly home in the same seat. I was directed to the small print which made this legal case. Although they were right legally, I wonder how this impacts their customers’ perceptions of value. Yes, I appreciate that there are a range of fares even in economy class, but does earning a few extra Rupees make more business sense than keeping Jet’s word to its customer, and leaving its customers delighted with their service? Another source of grumpiness was that Jet’s computer systems are not capable of supporting a change of return date. I had booked and paid for a window seat (£15), but the frontline staff were not able to give me my window seat for my new date. After several conversations, I was asked to pay again and they would then reimburse me. I used to like Jet because they had some good standards in the past. I was glad to see that boarding was enforced by zones so that the aircraft filled up smoothly from the rear. The entertainment system was good, and so was the food and service on the flight. But Jet has arguably the most uncomfortable seats of any long-distance airline I have flown. The only way to alleviate my discomfort was to use my pillow as extra padding. It is unlikely I will fly Jet again in the future.
RouteMumbai to London Heathrow
Date FlownMay 2017

"On-board service was good"

Verified Review | Flew Jet Airways from Lucknow to New Delhi with an onward connecting flight on Lufthansa. The Jet Airways counter at Lucknow will only allow you to check-in at the counter 2 hours before the flight. So, if you arrived at the airport 3 hours prior to departure, you will need to sit and wait. The ground staff applied "International Transfer" tag on my bag and gave me boarding passes all the way till my final destination in LAX. On-board service was good. Even for a short 1 hour flight, Jet Airways gave a vegetarian wrap for snack.
RouteLucknow to Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Jet is is on a penny-pinching drive"

Verified Review | Not sure what is happening at Jet Airways because they seem to be ignoring their own good standards. I was surprised to find an A330 on this route (Bengaluru to Mumbai) and then saw that it was almost full. What was disappointing that the ground staff did not apply their standard of seating passengers from the rear of the aircraft to help the boarding process. When I asked whay this was so, the person I asked just grinned and made some feeble excuse. We took of on time but had to circle over Mumbai for a long time (>30 minutes), but I don't hold that against the airline. On arriving at the gate, which was an air-bridge, passengers were kept standing for over 20 minutes. I'm not sure if this was because the air-bridge was inoperable or because Jet is is on a penny-pinching drive, judging by their other revenue-squeezing practices, such as wanting Rs 500 to book a seat. Eventually we were told that we would be taken to the terminal by busses, but only after all the passengers had to disembark using just the front steps. The plane was due to leave for Jabalpur, and this could not have helped to keep to their schedules. A far cry from the efficient and customer-focused airline I first encountered back in 2006.
RouteBengaluru to Mumbai
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Jet Airways has lost its focus"

Verified Review | Has Jet begun a policy or squeezing every last drop of money from its economy customers regardless of the long term effects this might have on loyalty? It claims to be a "full-service" airline but has policies with which Ryanair customers might resonate (and not very well). I have flown Jet to Mumbai six times in the last seven years and this was the first time I had to pay £15 each way to book a seat of my choice. For once, the boarding was to Jet standards and it went well thanks to one very active member of the ground staff who insisted we boarded by zones from the back. The flight was good and we arrived on time. My return trip, which starts tomorrow is another saga which has convinced me that Jet Airways has lost its focus. I cannot blame the front-line staff for all its ills as it is clear that they are not empowered (or trusted?) to do what is right for the customer and the airline. It lacks leadership and there is a sense of drift.
RouteLondon to Mumbai
Date FlownMarch 2017

"staff member was not interested"

Verified Review | London Heathrow - Delhi via Dubai with Jet Airways. Staff at London Heathrow printed my boarding pass through to Dubai and asked me to collect my next boarding pass in Dubai. When I reached Dubai there was a long queue that I had to stand in in order to get boarding pass printed. At the desk, the staff member was not interested in listening as to why I did not have my boarding pass. She started arguing saying it was my job to get my boarding pass printed in London. She said she did not have time to print my pass and for me to stand aside. I asked her colleague for help who also became rude towards me. The flight from Dubai to Mumbai was awful. Old plane from the 1990s with no comfort. On the way back to London, the passanger in the seat behind me insisted that she want to read a book and that I should keep my seat upright throughout. After 3 hours, I said I need to recline my seat and did so. The angry passanger continued to kick. Anyway to make experience worse the staff served me the wrong food and then they ran out of food.
RouteLondon to Mumbai via Dubai
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a comfortable night flight"

Verified Review | We flew London Heathrow - Delhi by Jet Airways last month, this is a comfortable night flight. PJs were given, dinner was available but as we had our dinner in the lounge we hit the comfortable flat bed for the night, no mattress provided which is a standard these days. The cabin temperature was comfortable, wash rooms clean but sparsely equipped in C class. The FAs were professional and well turned out. The Delhi - Pune flight was 737-800, which has 12 C class seats in front, adequate leg room and in 2 x 2 config. The FAs were professional but got the lunch order confused, couldn't work out what we wanted, the 2 hours flight was comfortable, and punctual.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / Boeing 737-800
RouteLondon to Pune via Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2017

"standards are degrading rapidly"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Guwahati via Kolkata, I again travelled by this airline because of it's timing was suiting me. After using it's toilet I found that there was no soap in dispenser. One of the crew members informed me that the matter was on the books but nobody cared to rectify it. Fortunately, another crew member gave me his personal face wash so that I can wash my hands. My other acquaintances had same kind of experiences with this airline recently. I'm travelling by this airlines since 20 years and I find that their standards are degrading rapidly. One would find better services at lower prices in other airlines.
RouteMumbai to Guwahati via Kolkata
Date FlownApril 2017

"old with no entertainment system"

(Qatar)

Verified Review | Kozhikode to Doha. Late night departure, crew was welcoming. On board meal average and the airplane was old with no entertainment system. Toilets was messy through out the flight. Call bells was attended.
RouteKozhikode to Doha
Date FlownMarch 2017

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Verified Review | The worst airline I have ever flown with. Watching the check in of other passengers it was obvious the weight limit for baggage per passenger was breached. Most passengers had a minimum of 3 large hold suitcases and 2 to 3 large cabin cases. Boarding was chaotic, worse than a rugby scrum. As expected there was not enough room for cabin bags and many of these appeared to be up to 15 kilos each. Seats were very uncomfortable, no padding, were narrow and very short. If the passenger in front dropped their seat back you were wearing them in your lap. No instructions to raise seat backs whilst eating. Revolting food. Third world toilets. Rude staff. Not enough fluid offered for hydration. Had to wait 1 hour for baggage on the carousel since too many bags resulted in not enough space on the carousel. Pay more and go with a better airline since the travel to and from our holiday ruined the overall holiday experience.
RouteMumbai to London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"misled by Jet Airways staff"

Verified Review | Toronto to Amsterdam, connecting on El Al to Tel Aviv. The flights were fine, nothing exceptional. The big problem was that our luggage was delayed/lost both on our way to Tel Aviv and back. We checked several times if our luggage would be transferred to the final destination and we were misled by Jet Airways staff. Their customer service line for lost or delayed baggage was unresponsive. Their policies on the matter are also poor. I'll have to wait 21 days to be compensated for any potential damages or total loss.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER