Japan Airlines

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Honolulu. I usually fly premium economy or business, if I'm lucky. I was terribly worried about this flight to and from Hawaii in the normal economy, but I was pleasantly surprised! They FA's were extremely cheerful and hard-working. The catering was adequate and delicious. The cabin kept very clean, including the toilets. The star of the show is the seats. My goodness, I'm a big person (183 cm tall and 230 kg), and even I was comfortable! I couldn't believe the legroom and the seat width of these wider seats. They are premium economy standard on many US airlines but extended to the entire economy class. On the downside, JAL is notorious for keeping the planes warm since Japanese are adverse to air conditioning and even air passing over their skin. I always take a fan to keep cool. Also, the AVOD is lacking. This is the one area they simply must improve upon. Oh, they offer wifi onboard, but it didn't work for me or my partner. It never prompted with a pay screen and it was not free.
RouteTokyo to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Service excellent again"

Trip Verified | Booked as BA codeshare, but BA couldn't access JL to confirm a seat, so ended up in the middle NRT/HEL (19E). Actually worked OK because legroom and recline is so good. On time departure and arrival. This time DBML selections weren't as good for a diabetic, but crew intervened to provide food from C cabin to compensate - bravo! Service excellent again. 1 hr 15m transfer at HEL but no hold luggage and super efficient process, so made it fine. AY to LHR on A321 was unmemorable, but did have 8C, which is an extra legroom seat. Again, even with the connection I'd choose this over BA any day.
RouteNarita to London Heathrow via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Onboard service great, as ever"

Not Verified | JL PY cabin LHR/HND departing 0930 on a Sunday. Cabin full, aisle seat (19C) very comfortable, with great space and recline for PY (far superior to BA). Special meals delivered with a smile, and accurately designed for a diabetic. 15 minutes late boarding, 30 minutes early arriving. Onboard service great, as ever. Asked if they had any Natto (rice cookies aren't good for me) and smiling FA dug deep and found a bag full! Apparently nobody likes them? Good - more for me. IFE pretty good. Only downside is that there is no JL arrivals lounge at HND, so you pay to use the landside shower cubicles, which are OK. Just better than BA in every respect.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Haneda
Date FlownAugust 2018

"stuck on a middle seat"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Dallas via Tokyo. The ground staff in New Delhi could not print boarding passes for my onward travel from Tokyo at Delhi at the checkin counter. When I asked them at the gate again they told it could have been done at checkin counter but can’t be done at the gate now. I reach Tokyo I am told to reach the gate without boarding pass. I spend my time panicking whether I will get a seat on the flight (so much for a relaxed travel and transit). Online checkin did not work since I am non-US passport holder. Ground staff shows up at the gate and I finally get a boarding pass but get stuck on a middle seat for next 11 hours which could have been avoided if I was checked in at New Delhi. Also I had called up JAL 3 days earlier requesting a special meal for all my flights, but the request was only put in for the first sector.
RouteDelhi to Dallas via Tokyo

"JAL has lost a client"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I booked the flight on JAL website for the end of October 2018 to fly with the Boeing 787-9 not yet having tried. At the end of the purchase after checking my email, after 5 minutes I get an email alert that the flight booked from Helsinki to Tokyo started no longer at 17.05 as a reservation but at 17.25 and asked me to accept or refuse. I accepted in good faith in exchange for Narita I lost the connection to Nagoya and I have to wait 9 hours to Narita. (I made the mistake of not checking and I did not think that JAL had only 2 daily flights to Nagoya). I contacted JAL through different channels but all told me that if I wanted to board the flight before I had to pay the penalty of 180€ + processing costs (the flight from Helsinki should arrive at 9 but I checked always arrives for 8.15-8.30 flight to Nagoya leaves at 9.55 and it is feasible to get on board). I'm a frequent flyer member JAL, but from now on with this treatment to the customers I can assure that JAL has lost a client.
RouteMilan to Nagoya via Helsinki / Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2018

"Old seats in a new aircraft"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Tokyo. Old seats in a new aircraft, Boeing 787-8 worst customer service. Cabin staff service very poor. I would never spend money to buy their business class ticket. There are many other good service airlines in Asia
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownJuly 2018

"one of the best carriers"

Trip Verified | This was my first time traveling with Japan Airlines and I could not have been more happier. I made sure to arrive early to check in as me & my partner could not find any seats together. Upon talking to the check in staff they were able to give us a free upgrade to premium economy in order to compensate not being able to have me and my partner seated together on our booked economy fare. I was so shocked by the kindness and sincere empathy the check in staff had in regards to my situation. It was definitely an amazing start to the trip. Apart from being upgraded, JAL's amazing service continued to shine through its efficient ground staff, seat product and service on board. My first encounter with Japanese efficiency transpired with JAL's extremely fast and efficient boarding process. I was one of the first to board and it felt like 5 minutes after I sat down we were already on pushback, boarding literally took about 10 minutes which was amazing for a full flight. Boarding being done quickly meant we had a prompt ahead of schedule departure which was fantastic knowing how busy Sydney Airport can get traffic wise during the morning rush. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Also, the cabin seemed extremely clean. The toilets were clean and hygienic. During meal service, staff were generous with the food & beverage offerings. Food is never an aspect of air travel I like, however, Japan Airlines offers a range of food options throughout the flight and you can pick up or ask for fresh food like instant noodles, chips, biscuits and chocolate. I couldn’t stomach the lunch service, however the instant noodles were a life saver. There was also regular hot towels distributed through the flight which made it a nice touch. One interesting observation I made was the lack of odour in the cabin. You know that strong aroma you get during the food service in which kind of makes you want to gag (well... at least for me)? Or when the cabin crew usually run drinks service and the whole cabin gets infused with the horrible bitterness of bad coffee? Well there was none of that here, It was very pleasant. I found JAL's IFE to be one of the most responsive I have experienced. The flight map is so interactive and explorable. You can zoom in and out of the map and get detailed views of your flight path. The entertainment selection was also excellent and there are movies in over 20 languages! Being onboard the Boeing 787 also meant the windows are big and the electronic tint provides a calming ambiance to the cabin. This is matched with the soft warm white lighting which was turned on after lunch so people could relax. And later on the flight when the lights were turned off a gentle purple illuminated the ceiling. Overall, Japan Airlines proved to be one of the best carriers I have ever chosen to fly with. From the moment of check in to disembarkation, Japan Airlines truly lived up to my expectations of being a 5 star Skytrax airline.
RouteSydney to Tokyo
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the service was impeccable"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flew Tokyo Narita to Kuala Lumpur. Check in line at Narita was not as efficient as expected of JAL and the queue was very long. Spent almost an hour in the line and the ground staff were not too friendly. Things changed on board as the service was impeccable as usual and the seats, in-flight entertainment, and meals were perfect.
RouteTokyo Narita to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Highlights are the excellent service"

Trip Verified | First time with Japan Airlines. The flight to Tokyo was late at night, so not much to report. The return flight was during the day and was mostly excellent. Highlights are the excellent service and the food. Just wonderful. Unfortunately, there are lows and they related to hardware and software. The seat is comfortable, however my window seat had almost no storage space except for among the magazines next to the screen (see pic). The IFE is truly sub-standard. Very few movies, the music select was small and in each category there were only a few tracks. Painful to operate as well. This is nickle and dime stuff in a premium product and a pity as the service is so very good.
RouteTokyo to Melbourne
Date FlownMay 2018

"the best flight crew"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City. This is probably the best flight crew I have ever had. I lost a bag with souvenirs for my parents inside which is totally my responsibilty for losing it. I informed the police at the airport and he guided me to the information counter to the JAL staff. They were calling and running to get my lost package. This is amazing, never thought I could claim my baggage again. Through this I want to thank the police officer that helps me and staff from JL079.
RouteTokyo to Ho Chi Minh City