Japan Airlines

"ruined my family holidays trip"

Verified Review | Japan Airlines customer care team in Hong Kong is the worst, rude, no manner and helpless. When I book tickets via gotogate website, there was no field to put in middle name on the ticket. I called the Japan Airlines many times to help me to insert the middle names on the tickets for my family but they offered no helps, they said Airlines will refuse our entry at the airport and we have to paid very high fees to get new tickets, they charged us $390 to cancel each ticker plus fair different. Airlines ruined my family holidays trip.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo
Date FlownNovember 2017

"boarding was orderly and strictly conducted"

Verified Review | I flew JL773 on the return leg of the Melbourne - Tokyo Narita - Melbourne journey in September 2017. There was no queue at check-in, immigration was smooth and Narita T2 seemed a little quiet after the Passport Control. Upon arriving at Gate 84, it was even quieter, and boarding was orderly and strictly conducted according to oneworld membership tier and class of travel. JAL’s 788 V2 (SS8) has a generous 2-4-2 configuration in Economy, with 18.9” Seat Width and 33” Seat Pitch. The rear section has 88 seats, which easily composes a relaxed cabin ambience, especially when it was only one third full. IFE was sensitive to touch, sophisticated and loaded with international and classic titles. In-flight Wi-Fi service has three prices when paying by normal credit card, US$10.15 for 1 hour, US$14.40 for 3 hours and US$18.80 for 24 hours. If you are paying with a JAL Card, the prices are US$9.15, US$12.95 and US$16.80 respectively. Asked one Cabin Crew in particular a specific loading question, she was visibly annoyed. The Cabin Manager noticed the situation and personally came to apologise for the ‘service attitude’ and gave me a small present from the Captain. For the remainder of the journey, I received unprecedented and somewhat uncomfortable levels of pampering attentions from the crew members. Two meals were served after takeoff with five or six types of grain or chocolate made snacks readily available between meals. The first full meal was designed by JAL’s one of six RED U-35 Cooks, including Kazutoyo Inoue from Szechwan Restaurant Chen. The second proper meal ‘Air Yoshinoya’ came in the form of a bento box, which was served exactly two hours before touchdown. In-flight beverage list contains 10 types of Soft Drinks including the JAL Original Drink - SKY TIME “Kiwi”, and wine, beer, sake, whisky, gin, vodka, brandy and plum, a total of 8 varieties of Alcoholic Drinks. The actual flight took 09 hours and 54 minutes, travelled 8,377 km and reached the gate 34 minutes before the scheduled arrival.
RouteNarita, Tokyo to Melbourne
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Excellent business class seat"

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Melbourne. Excellent business class seat and attentive service, Sat in 9C and you could not hear Premium Economy section. Son sat in 9A and loved the privacy of the window pod. Onboard WIFI the fastest and most reliable I have come across in the ski. Five star business class experience on-board. The First Class lounge in the Satellite area at Narita though was pretty basic. Would have been rated a 10 if the bed when flat was another couple of inches longer (note I am 6 foot 2 inches tall)
RouteTokyo Narita to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2017

"seating needs some work"

Verified Review | Boston to Hong Kong via Tokyo. Really great service, however, long haul flights, the seating in business class is so uncomfortable. This was my first time flying JAL, and typically I would not write a review, but after clocking almost 40 hours on JAL in 1 week, I feel I need to point out the seating situation. Now for the price of biz class - its great, but after working for a few hours, a movie and dinner, it is almost impossible to get comfortable for a sleep. In fact, because of these seats, I left with severe cramping. Again, the service was great. Very friendly, and they go out of there way to provide exceptional service, however, the seating needs some work.
RouteBoston to Hong Kong via Tokyo
Date FlownOctober 2017

"ANA are superior to Japan Airlines"

Verified Review | Tokyo Haneda to London. Flight was okay in business class on Boeing 777, not my chosen airline but paid for by client. I have used ANA on previous London/Tokyo trips and ANA are superior to Japan Airlines, they seem more international and staff are much nicer. Check in and lounge in Tokyo was efficient (lounge rather crowded), seat onboard Boeing 777 was comfortable, but cabin temperature was unbearably hot and stuffy (to suit Japanese passengers). Food was passable (again, well below ANA), inflight entertainment is poor. Clean cabin, poor washrooms (no amenities at all). I can see what ANA is 5-Star compared to Japan Airlines.
RouteTokyo Haneda to London
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"awesome thanks to cabin crew"

(East Timor)

Verified Review | Singapore to Tokyo Haneda. The flight was delayed for 30 minutes which was okay. When I was boarding, there was two flight attendants standing by the door to greet and apologise for the delay to the passengers. After take off, dinner was served. I would say Japan Airlines has a good selection of meals in economy class. The FAs on this flight was attentive and helpful. The IFE screen on my seat wasn't working, so the FA reseated me. Prior to landing, a Japanese style breakfast was served on board. It was delicious. Overall, I would say that this flight was awesome thanks to cabin crew. Good job.
RouteSingapore to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"an exceptional First Class"

Verified Review | What an exceptional First Class Journey from stepping onboard to leaving the door. I was greeted at the door of the aircraft and ushered left to seat 1A. I was instantly served Salon 2006 Champagne and shortly afterwards offered leisure clothing of my size, and offered that opportunity to change into it before departure. The bathroom had a padded drop-down floor and seat so that you didn’t have to stand on the floor or toilet to change! Then all five staff working in First Class bowed and introduced themselves, and the Japanese 9-cousre menu started shortly after take-off. Many fine champagnes and sakis were offered and enjoyed, as well as the offer of the entire Japanese menu after mentioning that I had not tried many Japanese cuisines. As there were only two people occupying the 8-seat First Class cabin, the crew made up the suite opposite into a bed for me so I could sleep when it suited me. After about 3 hours of sleep they asked me if I wanted more food and drink. Nearing arrival, I was presented with a bag containing a Business Class amenity kit (having complimented them on the First Class Porsche Design kit, and they wanted me to have a Zero Halliburton one), some Japanese photos and two bottles of water for my onward journey. If only BA could provide anything near such perfection. JAL is wonderful and their premium product is perfection!!
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteHeathrow to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownAugust 2017

"long way behind rival ANA"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Tokyo in business class. Seats were quite confortable although rather narrow for sleeping, and the cabin was overheated for non Japanese passengers, but staff don't seem to care. I have now flown this route with LH, ANA and Japan Airlines, and have to say that Japan Airlines are below standards of others. Cabin attendants speak very poor English (they have foreign CA), and the service is so slow and rather poor. I didn't expect them to be this poor, and a long way behind their rival ANA (who I will choose on next trip).
Route Frankfurt to Tokyo

"FA did not speak English"

Verified Review | Fukuoka to Tokyo Haneda. I purchased the ticket on this flight with the Visit Japan Fare option, it allows you to travel within japan on a flat fare of $100 per person one way. The only condition is you must be a foreigner living outside Japan with a passport to prove it. A friendly welcome was provided and cabin interior was clean and modern. Seats were leather and slim, yet very comfortable. Flight was only about 90 minutes and we were given a choice of juice, coffee or tea; no sodas. I was the only tourist on the flight and the FA did not speak English, so she handed me a menu with english translations of what they had to offer. Great value for foreigners, although if you were to purchase the regular fare, it is much more expensive.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteFukuoka to Tokyo Haneda

"now a regular with JAL"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Honolulu. This trip to Hawaii I splashed out on their premium economy. It is a great value considering the services provided. You get designated check-in, priority luggage check, and access to the Sakura Lounge at Narita. Because it was a late night flight, people like myself were eating full meals in the lounge in order to skip the late night dinner service onboard. Plenty to choose from: teriyaki chicken over rice, their famous beef curry over rice, dim sum, soup, sandwiches, and Thai curry were some of the choices. We also got a massage and a shower in before boarding the aircraft. Of course, people did eat on board, too, which consisted of a posh Tokyo "yoshoku" chain called Shiseido Parlour and while I didn't eat anything, the meals definitely looked better than your average economy meal. The seats are a little hard after 5 hours and the recline is the slide type which many people dislike, but since I can't sleep on planes anyway, it didn't bother me. There is ample space both in width and in leg room. The service is flawless. The AVOD was adequate. A smooth flight going over. Coming back, the 787 was even better. The toilet in economy with a washlet was a welcome treat. There were two babies traveling in the front row of premium and they were treated like kings! The older flight attendants doted over them the entire flight with special meals, chatting, games and toys, and of course bassinets. The power port at my seat didn't work, and the wifi on offer never seemed to either. I'm now a regular with JAL and I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.
AircraftBoeing 777 / 787