Japan Airlines

"the best flight crew"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City. This is probably the best flight crew I have ever had. I lost a bag with souvenirs for my parents inside which is totally my responsibilty for losing it. I informed the police at the airport and he guided me to the information counter to the JAL staff. They were calling and running to get my lost package. This is amazing, never thought I could claim my baggage again. Through this I want to thank the police officer that helps me and staff from JL079.
RouteTokyo to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownJune 2018

"old seats in a new aircraft"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to San Diego. I have had four Japan Airlines flights in the past 30 days, all the flights were in business class. There is a huge difference between the business class offerings of these flights. The 787 is a great aircraft. US Immigration in San Diego is quick and efficient. JL65/66 very poor and uncomfortable business class seats. I am very surprised that JAL would use old seats in a new aircraft. The pillow is tiny and inadequate. Service is not up to the normal JAL levels. Narita immigration is very slow. Positives for flights #01 & #02. - Super seat layout. - Very comfortable seats. Super attentive service. Haneda immigration is super fast.
RouteTokyo Narita to San Diego
Date FlownMarch 2018

"their service is excellent"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Tokyo Haneda. This is one airline I would definitely fly again if heading towards Japan or onwards to USA. It represents great value for money when compared to other premium Asian carriers who charge 40-50% more for the same product / route. Haneda is a great airport and ground services are in line with any major international airport. Once onboard, one was greeted with warm smiles and friendly approachable service. In flight amenities are within expectation for J, with a (mouth) moisture mask, eye mask, toothbrush, hairbrush and ear plugs. Additionally a pyjama top is also handed out sometime before or after meal service; as well as a refreshing eye moisture freshening mask before landing. Oddly though, the pyjama vest was offered to me on the day flight back but not the red eye going into TYO. As for the most crucial component of the flight, the herringbone arranged seat - cushion comfort is better than SQ though one still struggles with the non-linear layout somewhere between the pelvis (protruded by the outer front shell) and the left (or right depending on yr location) ankle position which comes into contact with the inner wall curvature. Food wise, the Japanese meal set was excellent- sushi and accompaniments were top notch and fresh. One could also enjoy premium arabica coffee, and on demand cup noodle snacks if needed. Overall, I would definitely try JAL out again simply because their service is excellent and the cabin product is in line with most of the premium Asian carriers.
RouteSingapore to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownApril 2018

"seats were wide and comfortable"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | JAL didn't disappoint for the most part. The check-in at Haneda was fast and accommodating. I say accommodating because they checked my luggage all the way through to my final destination on American Airlines connecting flight, despite the fact that these were two separate tickets. It seems a small thing, but it was major for me as JFK is a nightmare to connect through. On top of that, the agent gave me my boarding pass for the American flight! Onboard both directions the seats were wide and comfortable. I'm very large and I didn't feel particularly cramped or hindered even when in full recline. The seat cushions themselves are a bit thin, but they do have the extra air weave pads to help with this. Looking around the cabin, you can't help but feel it needs a refresher, but it is perfectly comfortable. The service onboard was kind and fast! They have an onboard order as you like service after the main meal and the food comes to you incredibly fast. The handset ordering function for this food was broken/unavailable both directions, but the response time of the FA was speedy. The food was good and you will not starve. However, if you are particular about your diet in any way, you may wish to order special meals. The western and the Japanese meals one way both featured beef which I don't eat. With the large a la carte menu it is easy enough to work around, but I found the set menus of the first meals to be really limited. AVOD was adequate and better than I remembered. Luggage delivery on the return from JFK was very slow, even for priority service. I'll probably fly them again, especially on the Haneda flights internationally.
RouteTokyo Haneda to New York JFK
Date FlownApril 2018

"was really disappointed"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Vancouver on Boeing 787-8 in Economy. Was looking forward to this flight but was really disappointed. The aircraft is one of the first generation 787 and although it's not that old, it felt that way onboard. IFE is using Magic V on this particular aircraft, there was limited content and only few New Releases. Response time is good on the touch screen. Food is the part that I was most excited about but it turned out to be my biggest disappointment. It was probably my high expectation based on the promise of "Collaboratively-designed menus by 6 young talented chef" according to their website. I appreciated the metal cutlery though. The food itself tasted bland. The side dishes are OK and the miso soup was a nice touch but oh so salty.There are only 2 meal service and the last one does not give you a choice but the Soba was ok. They also does not give the whole can of Soda unless you ask for it specifically. Flight Crew - very polite, smiles a lot and efficient. Seat felt cramped and I'm only 165CM. When the passenger in front of me reclined her seat, the backseat TV was almost touching my face. Overall, the experience was not horrible. Would I fly JAL again? Most likely if the fare is good, but will bring my own food just to be on the safe side.
RouteTokyo Narita to Vancouver
Date FlownMarch 2018

"same high quality service"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | New York to Tokyo Narita. Return flight, same high quality service inflight as outgoing flight. Ground service at JFK a different story. Several check-in staff members unable or unwilling to speak Japanese to Japanese passengers, slowing check-in. Even with English-speaking passengers, check-in took 3x as long as at NRT and was not thorough (security and fragile item questions skipped). Saw staff I remember from previous years’ visits still dealing with passengers like newbies. Delays here compounded delays at security (due to TSA shift change and terminal flight departure bunching). T1 requires removal of suitcase belts due to outdated conveyer equipment. Check-in gate support by same ground staff with same problems.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteNew York to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Fast and efficient check-in"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to New York. Fast and efficient check-in at NRT; reliable, polite and thoughtful Japanese ‘omotenashi’ on-board service. FA checked with our group leader about student group member needs before departure, and followed up in flight. When they ran out of one of two dinner options at the back of the plane, I accepted what they had, but explained that I would have to eat around the main dish (curry) which contained shrimp I was allergic to. The FA asked for a few minutes, and after passing out the remaining meals, she disappeared into the galley, reappearing with a beef curry not on the menu. JAL also allows larger suitcases (203 instead of the standard 157cm). Unloading time average at JFK.
Aircraft777W
RouteTokyo to New York
Date FlownMarch 2018

"was a very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Ho Chi Minh city. Terrible customer service at Narita airport. I had 2 hours layover at this airport to go to Ho Chi Minh city January 22, 2018. Around 5:30 pm we all were boarding and ready to depart but for some reason the airplane couldn’t fly any where and we were stuck inside for 5 hours then the pilot announced our fly is canceled. Our airplane went back to the terminal but the door couldn’t open because too much snow. So it took another one hour to get out off JAL airplane to go back to the terminal. We all got one sleeping bag, one bottle of water and a small bag of cracker for the night because of the snow storm. In the morning around 8 am we got in line to re book our ticket but all of employee at Narita airport told us we have to call JAL or book online because we were customer of yesterday they couldn’t help us in person. It’s was very disappointed with the way they handle there customers. Then we got in line to put our name and get number to get drawing at 3 pm the second day to see who is the lucky one can fly out. It’s seem like we all refugee waiting list to go back to wherever country. I was lucky that I met an Idian couple when I was charging my phone and later the husband help me to call local JAL to book my last seat at Haneda aiport which is one an half hour away by bus. My phone has international plan but couldn’t call local JAL number and 1800 JAL number took me hours but still no one pick up the phone. We were unlucky with the drawing so have to stay another night to get in to the waiting list at 4 pm fight for January 24,2018. The people at help desk gave us one night hotel which is 2 hours away. I asked the worker at help desk if my 3 friends they don’t want to go to the hotel that night could they have voucher for food instead but they no. I felt so bad for them because they have to stay another night at Narita airport with the same set of clothes. Any way there was a few nice employee try to help us by the end, one ask her boss to give me $30 to take bus to go to other airport to get the fly at 1:30 am. I was so tired because of two nights no sleep and stress out because I have 6 days left for my vacation. That’s was a very bad experience with the way JAL treat their customer. I hope they will learn from this and will help all of their customer like me who stuck at Narita airport for 32 hours or more.
RouteTokyo Narita to Ho Chi Minh city

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to New York. Absolute worst customer service and experience with this Airline. On my honeymoon and paid for an upgrade on the way to my destination and halfway was downgraded. They blamed JFK for not properly communicating the upgrade was only halfway. Either way we got the runaround with a few different people at the Haneda Airport. Most notably was an incredibly rude manager, I was shocked when she said she was a manager because the way she spoke and handled this was incredibly unprofessional. I was interrupted nonstop by “no no solution unless you pay more”. Horrible experience I will never fly with this Airline again. Don’t use them if you want to avoid the worst headache and rude customer service. I would give zero stars if I could.
RouteTokyo to New York

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Chicago via Tokyo. Won't be flying them again. Arrived at the airport at 6 for my international 8am flight which was delayed. At noon they cancelled the flight. They have 1 person helping customers getting on new flights. Most people are stuck here an additional 24 hours. Absolutely terrible customer service. There are about 30 furious people here still waiting for hours to get on flights. The best they are offering is getting in 24 hours late.
RouteBangkok to Chicago via Tokyo