Top 100 Airports

Japan Airlines

"flying experience was quite nice"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Kuala Lumpur via Tokyo Haneda. We had to change airports in Tokyo but it was worth it for the ticket price because they have reliable and not too expensive bus service between airports. Overall, flying with JAL was a good experience. The legroom in economy class was plentiful and the seats were comfortable. Flight attendant service was good as well and there was a decent selection of movies to watch on seat back monitors. My complaint is that the food on flights between SF to Tokyo didn't seem adequate for a 10 hour flight, which is long. They provided 1 full meal and 1 little dinky (tiny!) sandwich with no condiments, so remember to bring snacks. The lack of condiments on the sandwich and the fact that it was cold made it extremely dry and barely edible. On the other hand, the full meal they served were good, my only complaint being that they did not heat up the bread rolls. I've flown on many trans pacific flights between the US and Asia with other airlines and they have always provided 2 full meals. But as a whole, the JAL flying experience was quite nice and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. Bonus points for the fancy bidets found in Japanese airports.
RouteSFO to KUL via HND
Date FlownJuly 2016

"service was very good"

I flew from Tokyo Haneda to Bangkok, the flight to Bangkok was on a newer 777, it was the typical Japanese clean and orderly. Food was ordinary but service was good with several beverage offerings. The flight was uneventful and pleasant. Can't say the say for the return trip from Bangkok to Tokyo Haneda, we flew an older 777 with tiny AV screens that were small and hard to see. Leg space was cramped and not as generous as our trip on the newer aircraft flown into BKK. Although the return trip was uneventful it was unpleasant as the aircraft was so worn I was surprised it was in the JL fleet. Service was very good with an easy check in process and personalized service if needed as I needed to get a transfer boarding pass on my flight from LAX on a different airliner. I would fly Japan Airlines again but hope for a newer aircraft.
RouteHND to BKK
Date FlownJuly 2016

"very friendly staff"

Vancouver to Bangkok via Tokyo with Japan Airlines. Very friendly staff, inflight selection of movies was average, the food was quite good and I had no problems with the seats. The plane was delayed leaving from Vancouver to Tokyo but the pilots made up for lost time and we arrived in Tokyo on time. My favorite food item was the kiwi juice, so good.
RouteYVR to BKK via NRT
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"found JAL PE to be sub-standard"

Verified Review | Ticket purchased online with Japan Airlines. Process is easy and allows check-in up to 72 hours prior to scheduled departure. Check-in at airport was quick and efficient, staff helpful and friendly. Flight from Sydney to Narita departed early, as all passengers and crew were ready to embark. Wi-fi only available gratis in Business or First Class, or for a charge if you are in Premium Economy or Economy providing you have an account with JAL. Catering was of a good standard, with reasonable selection of food, drinks and snacks. Flight was smooth, with pleasant climate maintained inside the aircraft. Arrival was ahead of schedule and disembarkation was well organised. Overall, having experienced Premium Economy (PE) with CX, I found the JAL PE to be sub-standard. Apart from the PE seats in JAL and a separate check-in counter, the catering, baggage allowance, etc.. is exactly the same as Economy. Considering the new Economy seats in JAL, I believe Economy is much better value for money. Maybe CX PE experience has spoiled me!
RouteSYD to NRT
Date FlownJune 2016

"not a pleasant experience"

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Sydney. My first issue arose when attempting to check-in online within the prescribed period. The JAL system would not allow me to complete check-in, advising I had to contact my travel agent. This was bizarre, as my ticket was purchased from JAL direct! At Narita Airport I was directed to the Premium Economy check-in. When I presented myself at the counter to which I was directed, the staff told me they were closed, and took me to another counter which was also closed! Staff subsequently turned up and completed my check-in, however, the check-in process was disorganised. Flight departed on schedule. Food quality was of a poor standard. I had expected better from JAL when departing from their home base. I had also expected to find some typical Japanese dishes on the menu, but they were absent. Flight was not comfortable, as the crew had the climate turned up and it was way too hot and made it too uncomfortable to sleep. Most passengers in PE were visibily hot, as people removed all but necessary clothing and didn't use the aircraft blankets - requests for reduction in cabin temperature were ignored. Initially I presumed that to acclimatise us to the colder weather in Sydney they would reduce cabin temperature as we approached Sydney, the ambient temperature in Sydney being 6C. However, this was not the case. I was still sweating when I left the terminal and went into the open air. Flight arrived on schedule, however, disembarkation was very slow to be implemented and seemed disorganised. I understand that First and Business Class have priority, however, there was a long delay to allow others to disembark after all the First and Business class passengers had long since disappeared into the terminal. Overall, not a pleasant experience on this flight with JAL. On the basis of this flight, I could not recommend JAL to others.
RouteNRT to SYD
Date FlownJune 2016

"seating is surely now outdated"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Haneda with Japan Airlines. Lounge was packed prior to the 09:45 departure to Haneda. Business class forward cabin looked cramped, although fresh and spotless. 7-across angle-flat seating is surely now outdated and was not very comfortable, especially with the seat itself being quite hard. Not really a problem for a daytime flight, but I would be very unhappy to find this layout on the inward overnight flight. Reasonable IFE selection but small screen. My main complaint is the lunch service. With limited main course selection taken at take-off and the first course not delivered until an hour later, you'd think the service from then on would be relatively speedy. Not so! A full 40-minute wait between the first two courses is quite unforgivable, the more so when I had to return my steak as it was not even lukewarm! Thereafter the flight was uneventful, although it was all but impossible to hear the cabin service announcements. Departed on time and arrived 10 minutes early.
RouteBKK to HND
Date FlownMay 2016

"quite disappointed with Premium Economy"

Chicago to Tokyo Narita. Quite disappointed with Japan Airlines Premium Economy as they serve economy class meals, wines, etc in Premium Economy. Whilst the legroom was certainly better than economy, can't really see a reason to pay a premium for an economy class product. Other Oneworld carriers serve better meals and premium wines in premium economy.
RouteORD to NRT
Date FlownMay 2016

"staff were competent and polite"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Los Angeles via Kansai. Another flawless performance by Japan Airlines. Check in was quick and easy, because of their competence and the Boeing 787 is a relatively small airplane, but which still gives economy passengers generous room. The staff were competent and polite and the flight was as pleasant as a flight that long could be. All 4 flights were on time and planes were spotless. There was a wide variety of entertainment on the flight, though I could not find anything I wanted to watch.
RouteBKK to LAX via KIX
Date FlownMay 2016

"journey to Europe a pleasure"

Verified Review | Sydney to Frankfurt via Tokyo Narita. Exceptional service and a very comfortable lie flat seat made the journey to Europe a pleasure. Friendly flight attendants, generous meals and attentive ground service makes it easy to choose Japan Airlines. Whilst the inflight entertainment definitely has a Japanese focus, there is more than enough to choose from and the variety of programs has increased since last year. Am travelling again to Frankfurt in June with Japan Airlines.
RouteSYD to FRA via NRT
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"service which is becoming rare"

Verified Review | I had one of the most pleasant flying experience with Japan Airlines from New York JFK to Tokyo Narita. I had heard about their Boeing 777 Sky Wider Economy seating, with only 9 abreast (opposed to commonly used 10 abreast) and a generous seat width and pitch, plus some other nice features. I always wondered if an inch or two here or there really count. I was wrong. It does matter and with one less seat in a row, made an enormous difference on this 13+ hours flight. A pre-meal drink service was followed by a 7 dish lunch, including miso soup and ice cream. Another meal was served before landing. What set them apart was the staff who were caring, polite and courteous. The kind of service which is becoming rare or found only in premium cabins. They made numerous rounds with drinks during the flight. I saw them caring for babies and observed one of the crew making an origami for them in the galley. Entertainment system was adequate with high quality screen displays. Announcements in English could be clearer. My Oneworld Sapphire status (AA Platinum) was fully acknowledged at the check-in counter and other ground services.
RouteJFK to NRT