Top 100 Airports

Island Air

"cabin crew were great"

Verified Review | Great experience island hoping with Island Air flying from Kona to Honolulu. Great staff and free internet at airport in Honolulu. Lovely views and complimentary Guava juice on the flight to/from Kona. Would recommend the jet props as you fly lower and see more of the great scenery. The cabin crew were great too with added commentary about the islands. Also Island Air was a bit cheaper than some competitors and I believe jet props are more efficient and cleaner than pure jets so its good for the environmentally consciouss too.
AircraftATR 72
RouteKOA to HNL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"fly another carrier"

Island Air from Maui to Honolulu - the website wouldn't allow me to check-in online. At Maui the self-serve computers for Island Air weren't working either, there was just a single person checking in passengers and the line was really long. I was in the line 30 mins and then called Island Air customer service but they too couldn’t check me in by phone. When finally got to the counter I was told now I'd missed my plane and they had given my seat away. They could see my history and that I had called so I was in line but insisted on charging me $25 fee for changing to the next flight - ridiculous. I’ll do anything I can to fly another carrier. Faulty web check-in, broken self-serve machines, call center incapable of helping and counter staff not considerate.
RouteOGG to HNL
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"the worst customer service "

(New Zealand)

This airline has to be the worst to deal with customer service wise. I booked two tickets at the cost of $426NZD online. Straight away I realised the dates were entered wrong so I contacted Island Air immediately and let them know so they could cancel the flights and refund the transaction. Their policy states if you book a flight you are entitled to a full refund and cancellation within 24 hours. When I checked my credit card statements we realised that they had charged us for the flights and had not been refunded our money. I contacted them and let them know so they could refund the money. This was over four months ago. I have given them documentation, bank codes and everything they have asked or one could possibly think they would need to resolve the issue. I have still not received my refund and they have excuses every time I contact them as to why I have not been refunded. I am tearing my hair our with frustration. These guys are absolutely useless. I won't ever fly with Island air because if they can't sort out a simple thing such as a refund, what else are they overlooking or not taking care of?
RouteHawaii to Maui
Date FlownAugust 2015

"wish we had read reviews before"

One night in Maui ended up a few hours in Maui thanks to flights not leaving. It took 3 aircraft and hours at HNL airport to leave. No communications from Island Air ground staff and bad attitudes. Worth paying the Hawaiian Airlines price to travel with them. I wish we had read reviews before booking with this company.
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownAugust 2015

"it was a pleasant experience overall"

We had a very good experience flying with Island Air. The day we took our return flight, they were celebrating their 35th anniversary. We were greeted with lei greeting before boarding the flight. On the flight, we were given some local cookies, local coffee and POG juice. The flight attendants were nice. I was not expecting good customer service as I read some bad reviews but it was a pleasant experience overall.
RouteKahului to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"all staff were really friendly"

I was a little worried after booking Island Air due to some of the reviews I have read about late/cancelled flights. Our flight was on time. I did notice that on days when the weather was very poor that flights were showing some delays, but I guess this would be in common with most airlines flying around the islands. The quick 35 minute hop was pleasurable and stress free. Island Air operates from the 'commuter' terminal at HNL. In reality it is just them and another small airline that shares the facility. No lines at check in, no lines through security. Once airside free wifi available throughout as well as free newspapers and even coffee. Onboard had great views and even some commentary en route by one of the flight attendants pointing out points of interest. Was a nice touch. Served either a bottle of water or a cuplet of juice. Bags (US$15 each to check in) appeared on reclaim belt within a minute of arriving in the baggage hall. All staff in the airport and onboard were really friendly.
AircraftATR72
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownSeptember 2015

Island Air customer review

Delays delays. We were supposed to go from Maui to Kauai and be a 2 hr trip. It took 6 hours instead with us waiting in the airport for 4 hours. The people next to us had been waiting for 8 hours and got delayed another two as I started writing the review . Everyone has delays. Stay away from Island Air!

Island Air customer review

After so many negative comments I believe a positive is in order. Honolulu to Lanai check in a breeze courteous and friendly we paid $17 per bag but now only $15. Flight basically on time aircraft ATR quite comfortable after all flight is only 24 minutes. 2 Flight attendants very friendly juice and water offered. Bags delivered promptly. Will fly them back to HNL and will only post if flight is any less enjoyable.

Island Air customer review

We had reservations on Island Air from Kauai to Honolulu. We would have had 2.5 hours to catch our connecting flight from Honolulu to Spokane on Allegiant. Island Air cancelled the flight due to weather. The next flight an hour later was cancelled due to mechanical issues. They had no other flights that would get us to our connecting flight on time. Island Air could not re-schedule our flight on another airline until they could confirm Allegiant's take off time. Allegiant only flies out of Honolulu once a week so if you miss the flight you're out of luck. They were putting people on Hawaiian Airlines so they could meet connecting flights but couldn't figure out how to do if for us. They told us we were not priority! We spent 15 hours in the Kauai airport before getting a flight back to Spokane (on Alaska). We will never fly Island Air again.

(Hong Kong)

We are at Kahului airport on Maui and have just been told that a runway in Honolulu has been closed and that our 11.19am flight has been cancelled. And so they have merged our flight with the 12.59pm flight which is now delayed to 1.10pm. That's a 2 hour delay on a 45 min flight. They then said that it was due to a 6 lane highway closure in Honolulu which has led to their crew missing the flight to Kahului. So far we have established that the only flight to Kahului prior to our 11.19am departure has arrived it left Honolulu on time. And Hawaiian airlines have confirmed that they have had no delays due to a runway closure. I recommend that you don't book Island Air for any journey in the Hawaiian islands.