Vote Now

Insel Air

"Treated us like garbage"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Verified Review | Port of Spain to Willemstad. Please don't put your family through the pain, disappointment, sadness, stress and feeling like your nothing by flying with insel. My flight was due to leave Trinidad Thursday 5:20pm. After having three delays it showed new time as Friday 4:40am. We spoke to the Insel Air rep in Trinidad. She lied to us saying there's an Insel plane leaving trinidad and will be back for us 4:40am and to arrive at the airport 1:40 am. We arrived 1:30am only to see a sign saying check in is now at 6:20am flight delayed to 9:55am. We waited only to be told we can't board the flight so we'll have to wait for a space and just left us. The supervisor was the worst person. She made us feel like we were the wrong ones. Even yelling at us. Treated us like garbage. And our trip is now cancelled. Please don't book with this airline. It has been the worst experience of my life.
RoutePort of Spain to Willemstad
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"flight was cancelled three times"

Verified Review | Curaçao to Port of Spain with Insel Air. My flight was cancelled three times. Then they schedule the flight at 3am to avoid paying hotel. When you get there at 1am, it's closed with a notification that the flight is scheduled to 8am. When you come back at 5 AM, the flight is overbooked and they transfer you to a flight which again is scheduled at 3am the following day to avoid paying for hotel. The chance for departure - well, tomorrow will show..
RouteCuraçao to Port of Spain
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"never take this airline again"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | Piarco to Curaçao with Insel Air. Appalling. After 9 hours of delay, we received not a single acknowledgement or apology for the delay. I have been in public restrooms cleaner than the plane that finally arrived. On the second leg of our flight, half our group was bumped from the flight for no good reason, in spite of having previously checked in. Again, no acknowledgement or apology. Same Fokker plane. I will never take this airline again. Better to pay more and find different schedules than use Insel Air again.
AircraftFokker 50
RoutePiarco to Curaçao
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"worst airline I have flown"

Verified Review | Bonaire to Curaçao. Insel Air is the worst airline I have ever flown. Not only are the planes old and dirty, but their flights are almost always delayed or cancelled - and worst of all, they refuse to take responsibility for these delays. I was flying from Bonaire to Curaçao when my flight got delayed by almost 2 hours. As a result, I missed my connection to fly me back to Europe. Insel Air refused to take responsibility and I had to buy a new ticket in order to get home with a two day delay. This ended up costing me more than 1000$! Definitely won't use Insel Air again!
AircraftFokker 50
RouteBonaire to Curaçao
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"pay the extra to avoid Insel"

Unverified | Bonaire to Curaçao. My family has been flying to Bonaire for years and there is always an issue with Insel. We usually try to avoid it but this year had no choice. The flights from Bonaire to Curaçao were delayed traveling there and back. On the way home they took stand by passengers from the previous delayed flight and took our confirmed tickets and switched them to stand by so we weren't able to get on the flight out of Curaçao to Aruba! Then had to spend the night in Aruba because we missed the connection flight home. They didn't pay for a hotel or for the $400 fee to switch our flights and we were traveling with our 1 year old and 4 year old! The supervisor told us we were out of luck and literally walked away from us. The staff is horrendous and also all the toilets in the bathroom wouldn't flush and the airport is disgusting. Please do yourself a favor and pay the extra money to avoid Insel. You will save yourself a nightmare. If I could give them a zero star I would.
RouteBonaire to Curaçao
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"my return flight is canceled"

Verified Review | I booked a round trip from Miami to Bonaire. At first my flight from Miami to Curaçao was canceled so I had to leave next day. Then my luggage didn't make it to Bonaire and I had do return to the airport next day to pick it up. Now my return flight from Bonaire to Curaçao is canceled, that means that I will miss my flight from Curaçao to Miami. So right now I am stuck at Bonaire airport, they gave me $7 voucher so I could get something to eat. What a joke!
RouteMiami to Bonaire
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"avoid a travel nightmare"

Verified Review | I was due to fly from Bonaire to Miami on 1/28 connecting in Curacao at 10:20am with Insel Air. I had purchased Tickets with a different airlines to take me much later from Miami to Denver. Late on the night of 1/27 the airline emailed me to say that my morning flight was cancelled for mechanical reasons and since they don't answer their phones nor does their website work, I had to report to the airport early on the morning of 1/28 to find out what their plan was for re-routing me. After numerous lines bouncing back and forth, since neither knew what was happening, they said to go ahead and take the flight to Curacao but then they would not be responsible for me getting to Miami from there. My other option was to spend the night in Bonaire and we would try again same schedule the next morning. After much negotiation between the airline and all my fellow passengers who were trying to get to Miami, they agreed to put us up in hotel that night, pay for our meals and we would try same thing in morning of 1/29. I re-booked my American connection with at $209 change fee and trusted all would be well in morning. Around 6pm on 1/28 I learned by email that the flight from Curacao to Miami time had changed to much later in the day, once again rendering my American connection on 1/29 useless and leaving me having to look for lodging in Miami once I arrived and another flight from Miami to Denver on my own. On the morning of 1/29 I reported to the airport early again to board my first leg. I had nearly checked in when once again they cancelled the 2nd leg from Curacao to Miami for mechanical reasons. At that point I had to get home. I booked a horrendously expensive ticket to get home with another airline and watched all the others who were trying to figure out what to do after this connection cancelled again scurrying around looking for help. My return trip from Bonaire tripled in cost due to this airline leaving me stranded for 2 days. To avoid a travel nightmare, don't book with this airlines.
RouteBON to MIA via CUR
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"zero stars would be appropriate"

Verified Review | Curacao to Kingston return. Insel Air scheduled departure times are just fantasy! We suffered a 19 hours delay on flying from Curacao to Kingston on the 29th December, and close to 10 hours on the flight back on the 4th January. The lack of information during this waiting time was complete, with changing "new departure times" all the time, and even complete vanishing of the flight from the airport departure list. Delays as we suffered from are common, as we noticed on flying back from Curacao to Amserdam (thank goodness with KLM): the Curacao airport departure list that day (Jan 5) was filled with Insel Air flights with "new departure times" a few to many hours behind the original schedule. No single Insel Air flight was on time, not even the very short flights between Curacao and the adjacent Dutch Caribic islands Bonaire and Aruba. It is a pity I have to give at least one star and a minimal rating, where zero stars would be appropriate.
AircraftFokker 50 / MD80
RouteCuracao to Kingston
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"incompetent as I have ever seen"

Verified Review | Port of Spain to Curaçao. I unfortunately did not pay attention to the reviews of this airline, hoping it was a fluke. It really is that bad! They were unable to fulfil the original flight due to grounding its aircraft cause they couldn't afford the maintenance, they held us in the airport for 8 hours before finally releasing us to go to the hotel. Then the flight to take us to Curaçao was delayed which resulted in further delays and cancellations. As a result I lost a 2 night hotel stay as I was here. Then they held us here even after they knew we were not leaving and upon arrival they had no idea of any of the passengers situations. This company is a text book example of bad business. They are this incompetent as I have ever seen.
RoutePOS to CUR
Date FlownDecember 2016

"should be blacklisted"

Verified Review | Miami to Paramaribo via Curacao. Insel Air should be blacklisted. They rescheduled my flight twice, 13 days prior departure date. They changed it a day before but the connection to my final destination is to stay overnight in Curacao without any accommodations paid by the airline. The customer service is a joke. I called to complain and demand a change back of date, or help with the hotel accommodation/food or give me a refund. They said, I should file a complain to Customer relations because there is nothing they could do.
AircraftMD80