Top 100 Airlines

Insel Air

"avoid this airline like the plague"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Verified Review | This was my worst experience since travelling. On my arrival in Trinidad, instead of collecting both pieces of luggage for me and my husband, we only received one. We filled out a PIR form. We were first told the next day Wednesday another flight will bring it. The next day I called and they said the flight is coming in at 4pm. When I called again, they said 6pm instead. I called again, and they said 1pm the next day Thursday. I called again and they said 1pm on Fri. They also confirmed that Curacao said they have the luggage. When I called at 2:15pm on Friday, they said the flight is coming in at 11pm. An agent called my husband and told him Curacao said they do not have the luggage. I call soon after and another agent said he has to resend the e-mail to Curacao, that they got no response from Curacao, but the flight is coming in at 11pm and hopefully our luggage will be in it. They will call us. Well I am waiting to hear what other story they are concocting next. Please avoid this airline like the plague. If you want stress you can travel with them.
RouteSXM to POS via CUR
Date FlownMay 2016

"long and disturbing story"

(Antigua and Barbuda)

Verified Review | Kingston to Santo Domingo via Curacao with Insel Air. A long and disturbing story, our scheduled flight was for around 10.00 yesterday morning but the flight was delayed until 10.30pm! We asked if we could go on the Copa Airlines flight at 3.30 pm via Panama but we were told that Insel had no arrangements with Copa and so the answer was no. We were then left stranded for more than 12 hours. When we returned to the airport at 8.00 the flight did not leave until almost midnight, delivering us in Curaçao 2 hours 45 mins later. Exhausted we left the plane and were directed by one of the ground staff to a lady who asked a couple of questions but continued to go about her business - after a while I asked her what was going on and could I please have the vouchers her colleague told us that she would give to us? Reluctantly she started to write out a set of vouchers out of which she gave us - I also asked her if I could have the third which was a taxi voucher to tke us to our hotel, this she refused to give us as she said she couldn't as she had to wait for other passengers. I told her that my wife was recovering from surgery and it was imperative that we got to our beds as soon as possible but she basically said it was "her way or the highway!" After about an hour we decided to take the cab ourselves and armed with our hotel voucher and our return taxi voucher we went looking for a cab - we found one but the problem was that for this 10 mins ride they wanted 50USD and didn't tke a credit card. We had no choice but to return to this lady, clearly we couldn't go back through customs and so a customs officer called her - she didn't come immediately but when she did she verbally abused my wife and I suggesting she was doing us some sort of favor This abuse took the form of speaking Flemish and continued all the way up to the cab stand sounding off to anyone who would listen. We entered the cab and for a full 5 minutes she continued this abuse with our cab driver as she reluctantly wrote out our voucher. We left that airport in the cab nearly an hour and a half after landing at 3.00 in the morning, only to be taken to a hotel that was closed? This story goes on and on but we didn't get to a bed until after 5am. This member of staff was a disgrace and a complete opposite to another lady who eventually arranged our hotel room. To sum up if Insel Air is employing staff such as the one we encountered, this sends a clear message that the airline does not care for its stranded passengers!
RouteKIN to SDQ via CUR
Date FlownApril 2016

"attendants kind and attentive"

(Netherlands Antilles)

We were flying Insel Air from St Maarten to Curacao. We quickly passed through check in and security. The flight was delayed by 2-3 hours coming from Santo Domingo so we just sat in the almost empty terminal. We boarded via the stairs. The aircraft wasnt the cleanest, and it had the not so pretty green Alitalia seats and there was water leaking from the AC vents a few rows behind me. We were served a little snack on the flight and there was a raffle in which you can win back your ticket. The flight attendants were kind and attentive.
AircraftMD-82
RouteSXM to CUR
Date FlownMay 2015

"cabin service adequate"

We read all the bad reviews but our flight to Bonaire left about 15 minutes late from Miami which is not unusual for most carriers. We changed flights in Curacao and that flight to Bonaire was on time. Our return flight also was uneventful however the air craft was what appeared to need some work on the cabin (minor repairs). The flight cost was at least 400 dollars cheaper than flying Delta. The cabin service was adequate.
AircraftMD80
RouteMIA to BON via CUR
Date FlownApril 2016

"satisfaction is a foreign word"

We flew from St Maarten to Bonaire via Curacao. When we checked in we were told that the flight would start 7 hours later. In fact, the delay came up to 8 hours. We got a voucher 8$, but in St. Maarten you cannot buy much more than a cappuccino for 8$. Because we started so late we had to stay Curacao overnight in a hotel were the bar was already closed, so we had to drink water from the tap. We reached Bonaire a day later. The staff could give us no reason for the delay of the flight and the so-called Supervisors were disinterested, unfriendly and incompetent and arrogant. There was no compensation for the rental car and the hotel already booked on Bonaire. Customer satisfaction is a foreign word for "Island air".
AircraftMD 80
RouteSXM to BON via CUR
Date FlownMarch 2016

"definitely fly Insel Air again"

Bonaire to Aruba via Curacao with Insel Air. We had a very satisfactory flight returning home. The counter staff and cabin staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived on time. Economy seats are economy seats. The flights are too short for any entertainment, but they have a good flight magazine. As with other reviews, I agree that the sound system on the plane is inaudible. Most important, our luggage arrived with us at our destination, without damage. We would definitely fly Insel Air again.
RouteBON to AUA via CUR
Date FlownMay 2015

"staff was helpful and good"

(Brazil)

It is true that the flight started the boarding 20 min late, the airplane is not the newest and it is hard to hear the staff's alerts, because the sound equipament makes a lot of noise. But the amount that I paid for the ticket was good. The staff was helpful and good. The service during the flight was excellent, with complimentary food, candy and beverages. If you are taking the flight from Miami to Central-South America, I suggest you to fly during the day. My flight was in the afternoon and I had the pleasure to see Miami coast as well a lot of the Carribean islands. It is not all the flights that you take in life that will give this opportunity to you. The company's magazine is worth to "take home". They have an onboard raffle and stop the raffle when someone win!
RouteMIA to MAO via CUR

"avoid these guys"

We booked Insel Air nonstops from Aruba to Bonaire and back. They changed the flights to stop in Curacao both ways. We actually left on time and on arrival in Bonaire they said they did not bring the luggage. It was kept for weight. Anyway they said they would deliver it in the morning or we could come back and pick it up. We said deliver not realizing it would take 8 phone calls and 8 hours to finally get it. One man we saw said it took him two days to get his. 5 employees at the check in counter but only one working. The locals say bad service is the norm for Insel Air. There planes stink and they do not care about customers at all. They tell you what is most convenient for them. We saw other passengers treated poorly. I will do whatever it takes no matter the cost to avoid these guys.
AircraftFokker
RouteAUA to BON

Insel Air customer review

Insel Air flight from Miami to Manaus via Curacao started boarding 20 min late. The airplane was not the newest or most high-tech and it was hard to hear the staff announcements because the sound equipment makes a lot of noise. However, for the amount that I paid for the ticket the staff was very helpful. The service during the flight was excellent, with complimentary food (which is rare for a 4-hours flight), candy and beverages (they stopped at my seat twice). If you are taking the flight from Miami to Central-South America, I suggest you fly during the day. My flight was in the afternoon and I had the experience of seeing the Miami Coast as well a lot of the Caribbean Islands. The company's magazine is made to "take home". Beautiful pictures, nice articles in Spanish and in English, and a lot of useful travel tips. The seats are old style, therefore your body will never be squeezed between your seat and the seat in front of you - plenty of space to relax. They also had an onboard raffle.
RouteMIA to MAO via CUR
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"think twice before you use"

Insel Air has to be the worst airline. Our bad experience started when we traveled from Miami to Aruba when our flight was delayed 7 hours, when we arrived to Aruba it was 1:00 am and had to pay $70 for a cab because the car rental place was closed. Then on our return flight on December 30th it was again delayed for 2 hours then when we finally took flight the airplane was returned to Aruba due to another malfunction, then we stayed in the airport another 8 hours and lost our connecting flights in Miami, the airline is using old airplanes from the 70's and 80's with visual wear and tear. The attendants at the airport are clueless to say the least, all the said was "I don't know". I really regret saving $180 per ticket compared to American Airlines for the same route. I guess that you get what you pay for. I someone ever thinks to flight to Aruba or Curacao think twice before you use this lame and awful airline.
AircraftMD-80