Icelandair

"changed to standby"

Verified Review | Washington to Gatwick via Keflavik. Gate agent was of no help at Washington Dulles. My reservation and seat assignment in Premium Economy was unbeknownst to me changed to standby. I was told by the agent the flight was full. Luckily his coworker addressed my situation in a very professional manner by giving me an upgrade to Saga class and a pass to the Air France lounge.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteWashington to Gatwick via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"happy to fly Icelandair again"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | Keflavik to London. First flight with a refurbished Boeing 767 was an uneventful affair. You can't really blame Icelandair for the chaos of KEF airport, that is completely overflowing with passengers and the bad original design is showing. What would be nice is not having to take a bus to a plane. But the weather was nice this morning so it was just fine. I just wonder how they deal with mobile impaired passengers. Icelandair is an efficient if not spectacular airline. Fairly dependable when you have any issues and I'd pick them over a budget option. The 767 is one of the nicer planes in the fleet. There's good legroom, great screen, sufficient entertainment and wifi on board. Icelanders don't seem to have the ability to smile a lot and it shows when you're getting service here. It's cool and maybe that just goes with the country. But it's fairly efficient and it's not unfriendly. Actually if you have any special needs the staff go out of their way to help you. Food and alcohol is for sale, but plenty of water on offer. The flight was over quickly enough and we arrived on time. Would be happy to fly with Icelandair again.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteKeflavik to London
Date FlownJune 2017

"the service was excellent"

Verified Review | During May and June 2017 my wife and I took 4 flights with Icelandair. These were Heathrow - Keflavik - Vancouver and Halifax - Keflavik - Heathrow. LHR-KEF, Sunday 21/05/17, KEF–YVR, Tuesday 23/05/17, YHZ–KEF, Thursday 22/06/17, KEF-LHR, Sunday 25/06/17. The check in on each occasion was good and we were greeted warmly and quickly. The lounges which we used (Halifax does not have a lounge) were good and sufficient for one’s needs. My wife and I normally travel long haul with Emirates and did not know what to expect from Icelandair in-flight service – we need not worried as on each leg the service was excellent and the cabin staff were extremely helpful and extremely pleasant. The food – which we had pre-ordered from the online menu – was well presented. It is worth noting that the total air miles we flew was 7945 and each Saga Class ticket cost £2044 which equates to £0.26 pence per mile which we consider to be excellent value for money.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Vancouver

"there is ample legroom"

Verified Review | As a European living in the US, I travel between the two continents several times a year. After trying a number of different airlines and routes, I now always use Icelandair. I book Economy Comfort, but due to the Saga Silver status that I have acquired I often get free upgrades to Saga Class, which is Icelandair's Business Class. Icelandair still awards miles based on the distance traveled, which means that the 40,000 miles required for Silver status accumulate fairly fast. This is a review of a recent trip from Frankfurt to Boston via Keflavik in Saga Class. The comfort in Saga Class is perfectly sufficient for my needs: the seats are wide, recline a fair bit, and there is ample legroom. Every Saga traveler gets a pillow, blanket, and amenity kit. Service is friendly. The meals consist of Icelandic specialties, such as lamb and fish. They are quite tasty. The selection of alcoholic drinks is sufficient, but nothing to write home about. Inflight entertainment is very good, with an excellent selection of music. (I don't watch inflight movies.) I couldn't get the Wifi to work. The stopover in Keflavik adds an hour or two to the flight, to be sure, but I appreciate the opportunity to walk around and stop by the excellent Saga Lounge. Admittedly, Keflavik airport has become somewhat chaotic. It was clearly not designed for all the Icelandair and Wow flights that are clustered around the early morning and late afternoon. Many planes have to be boarded and boarded on the tarmac, far from the terminal. The waiting areas are absolutely packed, and to make matters worse premium passengers board with everyone else. In sum, Icelandair Saga Class provides a reasonably priced comfortable journey between Europe and the US. Reflecting the spirit of Iceland itself, Saga Class is not excessively luxurious, but I have always been satisfied with the amenities and service provided. Finally, as an added bonus, Icelandair flights between Keflavik and Boston fly over south Greenland. If you keep the blinds open and the weather is good, you will see an amazing island.
RouteFrankfurt to Boston via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"their service has improved"

Verified Review | Helsinki to Toronto via Keflavik. I have flown Icelandair several times in the past and their service has improved, but business practices have not. Helsinki to Keflavik I was seated in the equivalent of their business class seating on a premium economy ticket. The staff were much friendlier than they had been in the past. The food was okay, with quite a limited selection and not very filling. We were offered food and drink once and then crew disappeared for a long time while empty cups and trays laid on our trays waiting to be collected. Keflavik to Toronto I was in an economy seat but with marginally more legroom and a closed off seat between me and the passenger next to me. In the end the proximity of the seat to the door enabled me to be the first one off the plane once it had landed, but the entire flight I was directly across from the lavatory door, just a couple of feet away. Icelandair is still involved in hard-selling stays in Iceland. I have vacationed there before and it is truly a one of a kind place, but I find being constantly subjected to sales pressure very wearing. Even the safety video is a thinly disguised travelogue. Ultimately, Icelandair is a good value in terms of its routes, but they tend to charge you the maximum and give the minimum in return. Check out their change fees, some of the highest in the industry. Their inflight entertainment is exceptionally good. The selection of music is far and away the best I have ever seen.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHEL to YYZ via KEF

"Unbelievably poor service"

Verified Review | Unbelievably poor service. 10 hour delay on flight out of Keflavik to Glasgow. To make matters worse, we were made to go to a gate, made to carry our bags upstairs, then left in a room with 2 staff who didn't talk to anyone. Then one by one we started to get emails telling us that the flight had been delayed. We then had to queue up to talk to the staff member who told us we then had to carry our bags back down the stairs and across the airport to go to the Service Desk as he couldn't tell us anything.. We then had to ask for meal vouchers as they weren't provided and i know many passengers who didn't know to ask so had to spend their own money. If only they had had the decency to make a announcement, rather than hide behind an email and then give us all the information and vouchers without having to queue up so many times. There was really no feeling from the staff, they really didn't care than our flight was almost 10 hours late.
RouteBoston to Glasgow via Keflavik

"Very disappointing experience"

Verified Review | Washington to Gatwick via Reykjavik. Very disappointing experience all the way around. This trip involved four flights, every single one was delayed at least 90min. The first was delayed over three hours (that we spent sitting on the tarmac), causing me to miss my connection. They routed me the next day, so I was more than 24hrs late to my final destination. I asked about another airline or a different airport in London, and they refused to help. They were rude to everyone. And this was all because of problems with their plane, not weather or anything. My rebooked, day later connecting flight was delayed an hour because the plane was late coming in, again because of mechanical issues. We then sat on the tarmac for awhile beyond that, and no one ever told us why. Flight from Gatwick back to Reykjavik was about an hour late leaving, again hanging out on the tarmac with no information. And now I'm back in the airport, waiting to try to get home, and just got a message that this flight is delayed 90min. I'm guessing that is if we are lucky. They never tried to make it up on the first flight, not offering complimentary food or headphones or anything. I will try to avoid ever flying this airline again.
RouteWashington to Gatwick via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"blown away by our experience"

Verified Review | This was my wife's and my first time flying Icelandair from Boston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik. We have frequenty flown with other airlines all over the world (so we have lots of flights to compare with). I read some of the previous reviews (after having already purchasing my tickets). I must admit that I was concerned due to the mostly bad reviews. I was blown away by our experience from Boston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik. We were aware that meals / snacks would need to be purchased if wanted so that was not a surprise. Unlimited non alcoholic drinks were available at no charge. We were on four different flights with Icelandair to get to and from our destination. The staff from check-in to exiting our flight were all extremely competent and very friendly. The planes were spotlessly clean (maybe in part from not having all the mess from partially eaten meals as on other airlines). Flights were held so that late arriving passengers could make their connection. Luggage arrived on time. Be sure to bring your earphones with you if you don't want to purchase a set. Movies, TV shows and travel shows about Iceland were available. Video screens were new, and worked well. The had easy plug in spots on the screens for charging electronics. We would definitely fly Icelandair again.
RouteBoston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"not ready for the big league"

Verified Review | Icelandair is not ready for the big league. Three of four segments from Milan to Portland via Reykjavik required us to depart or enter the plane on the tarmac and take a bus. Reykjavik airport is a mess with construction and detours that change from day to day. The staff is over worked and stressed. Our flight crew was late causing an hour delayed departure to Milan. The result was we missed the last shuttle to our hotel so a 30 Euro taxi ride was incurred. Of the 4 Icelandair flight segments three were delayed and we had to rush through the Reykjavik terminal to get to our Portland flight which was also delayed. The Icelandair business strategy appears to be "sell the tickets and we'll figure out how to make the flight later".
RouteMilan to Portland via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"won't use Icelandair again"

Verified Review | Minneapolis to Reykjavik. Tickets were purchased for my wife, my 7r old son and myself online at Icelandair's website. During the process one of the field reads "adult". This is the only option to choose no matter what age you are. My son was obviously not an adult as reflected in his age listed on the same page. His booking was separate from ours so my wife called to make sure this was not an issue and if they should be combined. The Icelandair rep said no. It was just fine. While checking in I saw that Icelandair gives 25% off to children my son's age. I called and asked for this discount and they said "No, you booked him as an adult" I asked them how there was any other option and they said we needed to call them directly to book a child's ticket.I pointed out that we spoke with a rep the same day and they said nothing. They said it was our problem. They also said they don't sell solo tickets for children online. There is nothing telling you that you have to call and no indication that there is any other option but "adult" during the process. You can buy a solo ticket for a child on their website because of their misdirection. I was repeatedly told this was not their problem and they don't do partial refunds. No answer was given when asked both questions. Why was I able to buy a single ticket for a 7yr old at your website and Why is there nothing telling me I have to call to book a child's ticket? I've flown everyone around the world. This was the worst customer service experience to date. 200$ would have been the amount refunded to me. My family won't use Icelandair again.
RouteMinneapolis to Reykjavik