Icelandair

"Great service and food"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Toronto to Copenhagen via Keflavik. Great service and food. Friendly staff and a bottle of water to every passenger upon embarking the plane. That sort if service is virtually unheard of in our times. I have flown with many airlines and Icelandair is one of the best companies I've flown with.
RouteToronto to Copenhagen via Keflavik

"an unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | Washington to Munich via Keflavik. In the past we have used Icelandair to fly to Luxembourg and Germany. We enjoyed our experiences and recommended the carrier to family and friends. We recently returned to Germany for a visit after 20 years. We decided to use Icelandair because of the price. We traveled to Munich on October 6 and returned to Dulles on October 13. Both flights were an unpleasant experience. Both flights were late causing us to rush through customs and the terminal in Iceland to make our connecting flights. The process was stressful. There was no help from the personnel. There was no one available to guide the passengers to the fastest way to reach connecting flights or how to get through the terminal. The terminal lacked signs to direct the passengers. The terminal is too small to accommodate the size and number of flights. It is as if the carrier has sacrificed quality for quantity. When we asked for help the personnel within the terminal were short and not helpful. Stress was high for everyone involved. Older passengers were struggling to figure out which way to go to make connecting flights. Amazingly, the passengers were not rude or impatient. The flight crew were also pleasant. We have always wanted to visit Iceland and have considered it when we saw that Icelandair provides the option of staying over. This will not be an option for us if both the terminal and carrier do not improve the quality of the service. We will not recommend Icelandair to our family or friends.
AircraftBoeing 767 / 757
RouteWashington to Munich via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I feel it is a complete rip off"

Verified Review | Manchester to Toronto via Reykjavik. Do not waste your money paying for Economy Comfort. It is advertised as having more leg room but in fact you get an economy seat. The only difference is the middle seat in a row of 3 is empty. Legroom is cramped and food offered is basic cheap airline snacks. We paid several hundred pounds extra for Economy Comfort and I feel it is a complete rip off.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"product is way behind the times"

Verified Review | Keflavík to Seattle in a 757-200 in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's premium product. The brand new Saga Class lounge at Keflavík is spacious and comfortable. However, Icelandair dropped the ball on the showers facility: there is no cleaning whatsoever between showers. You enter into the mess left behind by the person who showered before you. My wife and I had to skip showering in the lounge. What in the world is Icelandair thinking? The flight itself was very pleasant. The flight attendants this time were extremely courteous and efficient, the food served excellent. That said, Icelandair's hard product is way behind the times, with their aging aircraft showing their age. Icelandair is expected to receive its first delivery of the new 737 MAX aircraft next year and one hopes the Saga Class product will be considerably enhanced at that time.
RouteKeflavík to Seattle
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Service was efficient but cold"

Verified Review | Seattle to Keflavík in Business Class on a Boeing 757-200. Icelandair's aging aircraft are overdue for retirement. The interiors look their age, although the Saga Class cabin and bathroom were clean on this flight. The seats are wide and comfortable, but they aren't flatbed. Service was efficient but cold. Not the slightest hint of a smile throughout the flight from the matronly woman serving us. Upon landing in Keflavík, we were bundled into a bus and transported to the terminal. Saga Class passengers get no priority or comfort despite paying a premium: we were herded together with the rest until the bus overflowed. The best that can be said of Icelandair is, they don't lose your baggage.
RouteSeattle to Keflavík
Date FlownOctober 2017

"will gladly use it again"

Verified Review | I flew Icelandair in a recent trip to Europe. Tickets are considerably less expensive than others from the West Coast to Europe. Yes, you have to stop in Iceland but the great Stopover program makes it an extended holiday. Flights were on time. Service was basic but enough with a good selection of paid dishes. Seats are not that bad. The selection of the free in-flight system was very good and they have reasonably priced internet service since you board the plane. In summary, I could not find any faults and I will gladly use it again.
RouteStockholm to Vancouver via Reyjkavik
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"disappointed in the food and movies offered"

Verified Review | Very disappointed in the food and movies offered on Icelandair. We flew on four Icelandair flights during the past two weeks. Two legs of our flights (Portland to Reykjavik, Reykjavik to Paris CDG) were in Economy-Comfort Class. The other two (Zurich to Reykjavik, Reykjavik to Portland) were in Economy Class. Icelandair does not offer any complimentary small packages of crackers, peanuts, pretzels, etc, they only offer complimentary soft drinks in small cups (not whole beverage cans). The food Icelandair offers on board is limited and extremely expensive (compared to what other airlines, like Alaska or Delta, charge on US flights). The food service on Icelandair Economy-Comfort isn't much better, same limited menu, albeit free of charge. As to the choice of on board movies, we ran out of movies to watch, also some of the movies listed were way outdated and we had seen them before. Lastly, KEF airport has no walking-sidewalks, so the walk from Check-In to our gate was very long, and there was no seating area next to our gate yesterday (D31): we had to stand for over 40 minutes waiting for our flight to board! Now that we have fallen for Icelandair's widely advertised complimentary stopover in Reykjavik, we see no reason for us to use Icelandair for travel between the US and Europe. Delta airlines provides a much better service, complimentary snacks, lunch, dinner, wine, beer, and nice warm towels on flights between the US and Europe. Also Delta's flights are shorter (from PDX), and are cheaper (as of my recent Expedia search shows).
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteZurich to Portland via Reykjavik
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I had an enjoyable experience"

Verified Review | Flew Icelandair between London Heathrow and Iceland return during August. This was our first flight with Icelandair. Check in was fast and efficient on both legs. Good legroom on both flights with comfortable seating. My only complaint was that you needed to pay for food on an international flight. Water and soft drinks were supplied but when I asked for a coke instead of giving me the entire small can they only poured an amount into the cup. Seriously - I've heard about cost cutting but this is too much. Having said that I had an enjoyable experience and certainly would fly Icelandair again
RouteLondon to Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2017

"total run around from Icelandair"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Portland. I got a total run around from Icelandair when I reached out to them for help with my outbound flight. The customer service was very unhelpful and uncompassionate. They were not accommodating to my disability. On the return flight the gate was total mayhem - unorganized, crowded, and inefficient. The flight was an hour late leaving due to this inefficiency. My seat was then broken and wouldn't recline at all. When I brought it up to the flight attendant at the beginning of the flight I was told basically "we will just have to fix it later". No sorry, no offer for a new seat, no compensation for my troubles - nothing. Also - no meals are included for international flights, even when they are 6+ hours long.
RouteKeflavik to Portland
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not fly with Icelandair again"

Verified Review | Seattle to Helsinki via Keflavik. The flight itself wasn't too bad. The seats were fine and the crew was friendly enough. However, there's wasn't even nuts or pretzels offered during the flight. Only one cup of juice during the 6 hour flight. I would have gladly paid for a meal but they wouldn't take cash in the flight. And during my 18 hour layover in Iceland I couldn't even get one meal voucher. I wasn't asking for much just one meal to help hold me until my final destination. All the other airlines I've flown with have offered this for layovers that were less than this one. Sadly, I've come to the decision to not fly with Icelandair again.
RouteSeattle to Helsinki via Keflavik