Airline of the Year

Icelandair

"there is ample legroom"

Verified Review | As a European living in the US, I travel between the two continents several times a year. After trying a number of different airlines and routes, I now always use Icelandair. I book Economy Comfort, but due to the Saga Silver status that I have acquired I often get free upgrades to Saga Class, which is Icelandair's Business Class. Icelandair still awards miles based on the distance traveled, which means that the 40,000 miles required for Silver status accumulate fairly fast. This is a review of a recent trip from Frankfurt to Boston via Keflavik in Saga Class. The comfort in Saga Class is perfectly sufficient for my needs: the seats are wide, recline a fair bit, and there is ample legroom. Every Saga traveler gets a pillow, blanket, and amenity kit. Service is friendly. The meals consist of Icelandic specialties, such as lamb and fish. They are quite tasty. The selection of alcoholic drinks is sufficient, but nothing to write home about. Inflight entertainment is very good, with an excellent selection of music. (I don't watch inflight movies.) I couldn't get the Wifi to work. The stopover in Keflavik adds an hour or two to the flight, to be sure, but I appreciate the opportunity to walk around and stop by the excellent Saga Lounge. Admittedly, Keflavik airport has become somewhat chaotic. It was clearly not designed for all the Icelandair and Wow flights that are clustered around the early morning and late afternoon. Many planes have to be boarded and boarded on the tarmac, far from the terminal. The waiting areas are absolutely packed, and to make matters worse premium passengers board with everyone else. In sum, Icelandair Saga Class provides a reasonably priced comfortable journey between Europe and the US. Reflecting the spirit of Iceland itself, Saga Class is not excessively luxurious, but I have always been satisfied with the amenities and service provided. Finally, as an added bonus, Icelandair flights between Keflavik and Boston fly over south Greenland. If you keep the blinds open and the weather is good, you will see an amazing island.
RouteFrankfurt to Boston via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"their service has improved"

Verified Review | Helsinki to Toronto via Keflavik. I have flown Icelandair several times in the past and their service has improved, but business practices have not. Helsinki to Keflavik I was seated in the equivalent of their business class seating on a premium economy ticket. The staff were much friendlier than they had been in the past. The food was okay, with quite a limited selection and not very filling. We were offered food and drink once and then crew disappeared for a long time while empty cups and trays laid on our trays waiting to be collected. Keflavik to Toronto I was in an economy seat but with marginally more legroom and a closed off seat between me and the passenger next to me. In the end the proximity of the seat to the door enabled me to be the first one off the plane once it had landed, but the entire flight I was directly across from the lavatory door, just a couple of feet away. Icelandair is still involved in hard-selling stays in Iceland. I have vacationed there before and it is truly a one of a kind place, but I find being constantly subjected to sales pressure very wearing. Even the safety video is a thinly disguised travelogue. Ultimately, Icelandair is a good value in terms of its routes, but they tend to charge you the maximum and give the minimum in return. Check out their change fees, some of the highest in the industry. Their inflight entertainment is exceptionally good. The selection of music is far and away the best I have ever seen.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHEL to YYZ via KEF

"Unbelievably poor service"

Verified Review | Unbelievably poor service. 10 hour delay on flight out of Keflavik to Glasgow. To make matters worse, we were made to go to a gate, made to carry our bags upstairs, then left in a room with 2 staff who didn't talk to anyone. Then one by one we started to get emails telling us that the flight had been delayed. We then had to queue up to talk to the staff member who told us we then had to carry our bags back down the stairs and across the airport to go to the Service Desk as he couldn't tell us anything.. We then had to ask for meal vouchers as they weren't provided and i know many passengers who didn't know to ask so had to spend their own money. If only they had had the decency to make a announcement, rather than hide behind an email and then give us all the information and vouchers without having to queue up so many times. There was really no feeling from the staff, they really didn't care than our flight was almost 10 hours late.
RouteBoston to Glasgow via Keflavik

"Very disappointing experience"

Verified Review | Washington to Gatwick via Reykjavik. Very disappointing experience all the way around. This trip involved four flights, every single one was delayed at least 90min. The first was delayed over three hours (that we spent sitting on the tarmac), causing me to miss my connection. They routed me the next day, so I was more than 24hrs late to my final destination. I asked about another airline or a different airport in London, and they refused to help. They were rude to everyone. And this was all because of problems with their plane, not weather or anything. My rebooked, day later connecting flight was delayed an hour because the plane was late coming in, again because of mechanical issues. We then sat on the tarmac for awhile beyond that, and no one ever told us why. Flight from Gatwick back to Reykjavik was about an hour late leaving, again hanging out on the tarmac with no information. And now I'm back in the airport, waiting to try to get home, and just got a message that this flight is delayed 90min. I'm guessing that is if we are lucky. They never tried to make it up on the first flight, not offering complimentary food or headphones or anything. I will try to avoid ever flying this airline again.
RouteWashington to Gatwick via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"blown away by our experience"

Verified Review | This was my wife's and my first time flying Icelandair from Boston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik. We have frequenty flown with other airlines all over the world (so we have lots of flights to compare with). I read some of the previous reviews (after having already purchasing my tickets). I must admit that I was concerned due to the mostly bad reviews. I was blown away by our experience from Boston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik. We were aware that meals / snacks would need to be purchased if wanted so that was not a surprise. Unlimited non alcoholic drinks were available at no charge. We were on four different flights with Icelandair to get to and from our destination. The staff from check-in to exiting our flight were all extremely competent and very friendly. The planes were spotlessly clean (maybe in part from not having all the mess from partially eaten meals as on other airlines). Flights were held so that late arriving passengers could make their connection. Luggage arrived on time. Be sure to bring your earphones with you if you don't want to purchase a set. Movies, TV shows and travel shows about Iceland were available. Video screens were new, and worked well. The had easy plug in spots on the screens for charging electronics. We would definitely fly Icelandair again.
RouteBoston to Frankfurt via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"not ready for the big league"

Verified Review | Icelandair is not ready for the big league. Three of four segments from Milan to Portland via Reykjavik required us to depart or enter the plane on the tarmac and take a bus. Reykjavik airport is a mess with construction and detours that change from day to day. The staff is over worked and stressed. Our flight crew was late causing an hour delayed departure to Milan. The result was we missed the last shuttle to our hotel so a 30 Euro taxi ride was incurred. Of the 4 Icelandair flight segments three were delayed and we had to rush through the Reykjavik terminal to get to our Portland flight which was also delayed. The Icelandair business strategy appears to be "sell the tickets and we'll figure out how to make the flight later".
RouteMilan to Portland via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2017

"won't use Icelandair again"

Verified Review | Minneapolis to Reykjavik. Tickets were purchased for my wife, my 7r old son and myself online at Icelandair's website. During the process one of the field reads "adult". This is the only option to choose no matter what age you are. My son was obviously not an adult as reflected in his age listed on the same page. His booking was separate from ours so my wife called to make sure this was not an issue and if they should be combined. The Icelandair rep said no. It was just fine. While checking in I saw that Icelandair gives 25% off to children my son's age. I called and asked for this discount and they said "No, you booked him as an adult" I asked them how there was any other option and they said we needed to call them directly to book a child's ticket.I pointed out that we spoke with a rep the same day and they said nothing. They said it was our problem. They also said they don't sell solo tickets for children online. There is nothing telling you that you have to call and no indication that there is any other option but "adult" during the process. You can buy a solo ticket for a child on their website because of their misdirection. I was repeatedly told this was not their problem and they don't do partial refunds. No answer was given when asked both questions. Why was I able to buy a single ticket for a 7yr old at your website and Why is there nothing telling me I have to call to book a child's ticket? I've flown everyone around the world. This was the worst customer service experience to date. 200$ would have been the amount refunded to me. My family won't use Icelandair again.
RouteMinneapolis to Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"I will never fly Icelandair"

Verified Review | I will never fly Icelandair after my latest experience. Instead of a general critique, Here is a very recent story. In fact, we're still currently rolling around the DFW airport on the plane looking for the gate, and have been for the last hour. My wife and I were in a position to have an overnight layover on the way home from a European vacation. I was clicking around to see what would get us home the quickest. Then I saw a flight that had an overnight in Iceland (Munich to Dallas via Keflavik). I figured, how about a relaxing evening in the blue lagoon? This might turn out to be the worst decision I've made in years. So, initially we have a 1 hour delay because Icelandair forgot to clean the toilets. Funny, but little did we know that was a metaphor for our next two days. When we landed, we could see them trying to line up the ramp with the plane to let us off. After failing to seal anywhere even close to the door several times, they ended up changing drivers for the ramp! This took about 20 minutes. Then our bags ended up on the wrong turn style, and despite what the stewardess said, they weren't even supposed to come out at all! At this point we were unimpressed, but still ready to enjoy what was left of our evening. That's when I remembered I hadn't turned my phone off of airplane mode, so as we finished going through security gates I switched it off. Blinking, waiting to be read, was a text message from Icelandair. It was Informing us that our flight had been rescheduled to 5:40 pm that day. Current time? 6:10. We never had a chance. Needless to say, we never saw anything in Iceland other than our hotel, and I spent hours trying to get our flight rescheduled. The next day was less unusual, but equally irritating, just gate changes last minute, a 2 hour delay, riding around the tarmac in a bus. Missing our connecting flight, etc. Instead of being home tonight we're at DFW 4 hours late, and have spent 2 hours driving around looking for a gate. Icelandair dismisses the entire experience as a minor schedule change.
RouteMunich to Dallas via Keflavik

"it was well worth it"

Verified Review | Flew Icelandair from Seattle to Keflavik. The seats aren't very comfortable - my fleece ended up being a seat cushion - and the 3 and 3 seating arrangement is a bit tortuous on a 6.5 hour flight, but for $450 round-trip from Seattle, a lot of sins can be forgiven. Unlike WOW, you get wifi, in-flight seatback entertainment, free non-alcoholic drinks, and can carry on a standard American-sized roller bag without any hassle. The check-in agents in Seattle were great, told me it wasn't a full flight, and moved me into a row with nobody in the middle seat. There was a large tour group on the flight out, and the flight crew patiently and efficiently helped them move seats without disrupting the whole plane. Had a full row flying back, but check-in and the flight itself were fine. I brought my own food both times, so I can't comment on the offerings, but the mixed-drinks deals were pretty good, and the in-flight entertainment fine if you're just looking for something to pass the time. All in all, it was well worth it for a five day weekend trip. Flying them again in a few weeks with a checked bag, so maybe I'll have a horror story then.
RouteSeattle to Keflavik
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Promises so far have been broken"

Verified Review | Departing flight Washington to Munich via Keflavik was uneventful. The luggage of a good portion of the passenger however did not arrive. Resulted in long lines/long wait to enter a claim for the lost luggage. This can happen, 4 days later I finally have my luggage. This was the easy part of my travel. Return flight Munich to Reykjavik to Washington. I checked in and was at the boarding gate more than 2 hours before departure. Flight was a little delayed. During boarding I was told to step aside with no explanation. Plan was boarded, and my inquiries about what is going on was rudely pushed aside and threatened with security. Boarding finished and the plane with my luggage left without me. Now the attended took the time to find out what was going on. A Icelandair staff rebooked me without my consent on another flight and another Airline (Lufthansa) from another terminal. No explanation was given on why and how could that be. No one thought about letting me know, even though I was checked in and sitting at the boarding gate for more than 2 hours. Everybody confused at this point. Plane is leaving in 45 min. How to get me there, through security etc. I was checked in to the Lufthansa flight via phone, but otherwise no help was given except showing me the walkway to the other end of the terminal and the gate location (gate 22 or so where the bus would take me to terminal 2). I was told to better run otherwise I would miss this flight. Running down that hallway turned out to end up at a restricted area, was rerouted by a security officer, finally arriving at the given gate for the bus only to find a sign that stated the bus is no longer leaving from there. Needed to go half way back to gate 8, finally waiting for the bus, making it to terminal 2, making it through the checkpoints and getting to the last one for LH only to be told they can't let me through, my flight just left. Now being told to go to LH Customer Service, arriving sweating, shaking and exhausted (LH Staff is great, arranging for the next flight out on United Airlines, arranging for a Hotel for the night (paid via Islandair- small token), they took care off all the communication with Iceland air. They told me how to get best back to Terminal one to yet again file a lost baggage claim with Icelandair as my luggage went with my original flight without me (against security regulations). Finally get on the United Airline flight the next morning, however, arriving yet again without luggage. I filed a claim two weeks ago, for reimbursement of expenses due to continued lost luggage and partial reimbursement of my original flight (as it is against passenger protection to rebook after check-in without passengers consent). All I have on a response so far is an automated response that the claim has been received. Via phone I am told I can't speak to a Customer Service Representative in regards to my claim and that the claim has not yet been assigned. Promises of a response so far have been broken.
RouteMunich via Keflavik