Icelandair

"Instead we feel scammed"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Dublin via Keflavik. My husband and I purchased tickets back in November without the knowledge that we would have to pay a whopping $100 each way for each of us to have checked luggage. That added an extra $400 to simply get our bags to and from our destination. Icelandair should have made this clear from the start about this ridiculous fee. Instead we feel scammed. Never again will we fly icelandair. On top of this, the airport experience is awful. You have to stand shoulder to shoulder to simply board your plane. Since your airline is growing, please grow your airport with it.
RouteBoston to Dublin via Keflavik

"our travels went well"

Trip Verified | Denver to Oslo via Reykjavik. We were a bit skeptical seeing other reviews for Icelandair, but our travels went well. Being cautious We arrive 2 1/2 hours before take off for check in. There was no line! In the past, they used Lufthansa check in. Now they have their own desk. Check in was fast, requiring only a scan of our passports. Note, Icelandair does not participate in Pre-TSA, so you will need to go through the regular line. Fight service was very friendly. Apple pillows and blankets are provided. You do have to either bring your own food or buy on board. There were choices of 3 - 4 meals, plus snacks to purchase. Entertainment was very good. About 30 or so movies/tv shows to stream on demand. Also, music and other audio. My only complaints: I'm a fairly skinny guy, and there didn't seem to be enough seat padding for the 6.5 hour trip. I improvised by using blankets to sit on. Also, my wife seat did not go back, probably broken. Customer support via phone - there were a couple of time we had to call post-booking. Generally had to wait about 45 minutes for a rep to pick up. We connected at Reykjavik for our flight to Oslo. Plane de-boards on the tarmac with bus to the terminal. You will need to go through passport control to get to the connecting flight. About 30 minutes from landing to connecting flight.
RouteDenver to Oslo via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"Bad experience in so many ways"

Not Verified | London to Minneapolis via Reykjavik. There is something a bit twisted about offering no free food on a six-hour international flight and then parading the staff up and down the aisle pushing their luxury goods. Will never use this airline again; my flight was late leaving Heathrow and there was no time to eat a proper meal before running to catch the connecting take the connecting flight. Dreadful in-flight entertainment and I spoke to other travelers who also said they would never fly them again as their flights left on time but arrived late anyway. Reykjavik airport is small, crowded, and lacking in amenities. Bad experience in so many ways. Avoid.
RouteLondon to Minneapolis via Reykjavik

"Will never fly again"

Not Verified | Reykjavik to Toronto. The short version is that after a six hour flight, we (a majority of the travelers) were sent back and forth between two luggage carousels only to be told that our luggage was somewhere. Well, somewhere on the grounds, they just didn’t know where. With very little help from customer service and a three hour wait, our bags finally came. Three hour wait after a six hour flight with no compensation or apology. Awful experience. Will never fly again.
RouteReykjavik to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2018

"customer service line is appalling"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Edmonton via Reykjavík. Never will I use Icelandair again. Our bags were lost and now they have been sent to Malta Airport and have not made arrangements to send them on to us. One has arrived today the other maybe tomorrow. Their customer service line is appalling and I am number 83 in the queue which means another large bill. We now are supposed to go and collect them and they are not being delivered.
RouteGatwick to Edmonton via Reykjavík
Date FlownJune 2018

"never fly this airline again"

Not Verified | Washington to London via Reykjavik. We had an issue with one member of group flying with us. The gate representative gave us incorrect information regarding how we should remedy our problem which cost us over $1000. Then when we tried to return home they said they could do nothing to help us and their only solution was a one-way ticket for $2200. We found one on their airline for half that. Airline took bags one way of the trip with no problem but then said we would have to pay on the return trip with the very same bags. Completely arbitrary how they handle luggage. They also lost a bag for us. Customer service representative was smug, rude, and completely unhelpful in any way. He refused to transfer me to a supervisor despite numerous requests. I will never fly this airline again.
RouteWashington to London via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"always very pleasant and willing"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Denver via Keflavik. I fly monthly to Europe from Denver. Usually with Lufthansa but sometimes with Icelandair depending on my city of destination. I like flying Icelandair. They have a very efficient connecting system through the hub in Reykjavik (KEF). Passing through Immigration never takes me more than 5 minutes despite what appears to be long lines. All the overnight flights arrive early morning and flights to Europe leave an hour or two later, but always with plenty of time for connecting and they know you're coming, so if needed they wait the plane for everyone to get boarded. I experience they significantly 'pad' their schedule times, so despite late departures, I seem to always arrive more or less on time. The evening flights back to Denver are the exception, as this tends to be 40 to 60 minutes late. I don't have a connecting flight in DEN so not an issue for me, but connecting passengers take note. I sense Icelandair is a proud national airline and takes pride in what they do and making a best effort, from flight operations to the staff. They are always very pleasant and willing. Much like the wonderful people I meet while exploring the island. The #stopover program is excellent. Take advantage. Iceland is a great place, even now that Iceland has been discovered. The wonderful 757 is getting on in age but Icelandair maintains a fleet of them very well. I fly both SAGA business as well as Premium Economy, which they have recently discontinued. SAGA is not a lay flat business seat, but rather like a first class seat you get with domestic flights in USA. But plenty comfy to get a few hours of sleep on a 7 hour flight to KEF. The economy seats are also well designed and comfortable and with 32" pitch, enough space for 7 hours. Seatback entertainment is standard and good. Food in SAGA is as good as any other BC with excellent and attentive service. Food in coach is for purchase but good range of selection and reasonable priced. Icelandair has to compete with other low cost carriers as all airlines do, so they offer options from economy light to business class. For example, Icelandair is now in a significant market share battle with rival Iceland based WOW airlines, which is a true budget airline with all of the associated hidden fees, bad customer service etc. Icelandair is a proven lower cost (than Lufthansa, United, legacy carriers) airline that is a pleasure to fly for the price/value.
RouteAmsterdam to Denver via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"carry-on had to be checked"

Trip Verified | New York to Amsterdam via Reykjavik. The dimensions of baggage they may be carried on to the plane are smaller than in all other airlines: they are smaller. Hence the carry-on suitcases we have used for all previous flights within the United States and abroad, and which fit easily into overhead compartments on other airlines, were too large for Icelandair and had to be checked. No point in planning not to check in your bag for your Icelandair flight: they will make you check it.
RouteNew York to Amsterdam via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"Neither bags showed up in Zurich"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Zurich via Keflavik. Checked a bike in SFO along with another package. Neither bags showed up in Zurich and after two days Swissport has no info from Icelandair on their location. Icelandair uses contractors so dealing with someone who is accountable is impossible. Fly with airlines that have their own employees. At least you will get answers when things go wrong. I’m sure Icelandair will not compensate me for the full value of the bike.
RouteSan Francisco to Zurich via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"charges you for everything"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Minneapolis via Keflavik. I fly oversea flights quite frequently, and this is the first airline that does not give you a snack on the flight. If I had known they did not serve anything to you I would have chosen a different airline, but I would have figured they would give you something. The other airlines I have been on they have given multiple meals, but Icelandair charges you for everything but the basic beverages. I was not impressed with that. The staff was friendly and all and helpful.
RouteGeneva to Minneapolis via Keflavik