Icelandair

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Paris via Kevlavik. I was scammed by the worst airline that I ever traveled My last trip has been with Icelandair via Kevlavik. Traveling with them was the worst flight experience that I ever had. I booked my trip in March 2018 for September. I checked at the booking time the company luggage policy allowed me for a big case of 23 kg and 10 kg for the hand case. Meantime they downgraded my ticked without notify me, so when I checked my luggage in Montreal they asked for 120 $ for the 23 kg bag while the 10 kg was free. Too late to challenge this so I paid the money. In the airplane they serve overpriced tasteless food. Only few passengers bought their meal. They are also stingy. If you ask for a Pepsi of Coca, they take the rest of the can and you have to pay if you asked for more. I cannot rate the flight attendants too much because since nobody gets food, they are mostly doing nothing during the trip. Not having a complementary meal during the flight shows the company disrespect towards their customers. On the return trip from Paris I was not willing to pay again for the big case so I got rid of it, keeping the 10 kg only. Surprise they asked to pay 88 Euro, motivating that from Paris the airline charges for hand luggage too. Unfortunately I could not get rid of it because I had some sentimental gifts from my friends which I couldn’t throw away. Knowing how they treat the passengers on the airplane, I bought food from Paris terminal which was three time cheaper than the one from Icelandair plane. The same terrible transit through Kevlavik airport so in the end I made safely back to Montreal.
RouteMontreal to Paris via Kevlavik

"treatment extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | In July 2018 I booked a flight from Edmonton to Iceland through a travel agency for December 15 2018. I called Icelandair to upgrade my seat and was advised that my flight was cancelled completely. Due to this I am out $356 for my hotel. I requested Icelandair reimburse my lost money due to their cancellation and was advised by their reservations that nothing would be done and no compensation would be given. I asked multiple times to let me speak to a supervisor and was told I would not be sent to a supervisor. I am extremely disappointed that Icelandair is taking no action on my lost expenses due to their changes. The treatment and not being able to speak to a supervisor was also extremely disappointing. I travel multiple times in a year and have never been treated so poorly by an airline.
RouteEdmonton to Keflavik

"a great experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Keflavik. Icelandair has excellent service. The plane was boarded promptly and left on time. In economy class they give you a bottle of water and greet you. The flight attendants were cordial and pleasant. The value proposition is amazing. For the price we paid we got 32 inches seat pitch instead of 31-29 which would be expected at this price range. We also have IFE in the seatback which was great. Overall just a great experience.
RouteToronto to Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Icelandair is a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Kansas City via Keflavik. For over 3 months in advance of our trip, I attempted to contact IcelandAir about a concern I had with our names on our tickets not including our middle names. I tried calling IcelandAir which would either lead me to being hung up on due to high call volume, or being told I would have to wait over an hour on hold, and end up getting disconnected. The only way I was able to contact anybody at IcelandAir over 3 months before our trip was through Twitter. Icelandair’s website is still confusing, and their response to my basic question about ticket names was vague and unacceptable. They told me to “take responsibility.” I took responsibility by inquiring about this 3 1/2 months in advance. It's not my responsibility for being confused and not able to get a proper response from the airline. That's on IcelandAir. A couple of months later, after several more attempts at calling them, I had another twitter conversation, which somewhat answered my question finally. I then picked out the seats I wanted and had an e-ticket for myself and my wife with our seats printed on it, only to find out the day before our flight home from Europe that those seats weren’t actually ours, and we’d be seated 15 rows apart! After dropping another $430 on business class seats, I ended up having to pay an additional $55 just so that we could sit in the seats we had already originally picked and had printed on our tickets! We flew with 5 other airlines within 2 weeks of our European trip, and had absolute zero issues with every other airline, and only had issues with IcelandAir, that began and continued through over 3 1/2 months from booking until take off. The response I got over email about our non-business class seats on our first leg flight was “we cannot guarantee any particular seat. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft as we sometimes have to change aircraft.” Then why exactly did your website allow me to pick seats and then print them on our ticket!? They didn’t change aircraft .We literally had nothing but extreme anxiety during our trip knowing that we would be flying with this terrible airline who has nobody to speak to in customer relations and could care less about the customer entirely anyway, which has been shown through their complete lack of responsibility. Icelandair is a nightmare.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDublin to Kansas City via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"will leave you high and dry"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to London via Reykjavik. Icelandair just cancelled our flights to the UK at Christmas. Please do not book with them as they will leave you high and dry looking for alternate (expensive) routes during a busy season.
RouteEdmonton to London via Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"Avoid this company"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Baltimore via Keflavik. A horrible experience from start to finish. Booked 2 flights but did them seperately and for some reason 1 had no luggage. I immediately called to adjust this but was told I hadn't ticked the section and instead of paying $10 more for the flight which would have included luggage I had to go online and pay $200 to add luggage. It took 2 phone calls and an hour on hold each time (I'm not exaggerating), and in the end I just paid it it online. Oh well, I marked it as my mistake. Then the nightmare began. Turned up at the airport and the luggage was still showing as unpaid on one flight. I was certain we had paid it online, we received confirmation and the ticket was upgraded to show luggage added, which we had printed out. They said there was an error on the site and the payment was not taken. So despite putting in the payment details, having it shown as payment confirmed on the site, receiving an updated ticket and printing this out and presenting this to the staff, the airline staff now said it was my fault for not checking the payment had gone through via my bank and we had to pay again. As a result we now had to pay $140 for the baggage (one way), which we had no choice but to pay. They wouldn't even allow us to pay the $100 for one way which we thought we had already paid (I'm putting it in dollars but actual payments were a mix of $, £ and Euro). On the stop over in Iceland we complained to the help desk and they said they understood and that it wasn't out fault. We were told that a note was added to the system and we wouldn't have to pay on the way back and if we emailed customer support (no way were were going to call them again), they'd refund the money. We were very anxious about it and emailed customer support during our trip, and it got worse. They said there would be no refund and we would have to pay for luggage again. We explained, they asked to be emailed proof. We sent photo copies of the payment confirmation and ticket showing luggage, and they didn't reply. We tried again a second time and exactly the same, they said it was our fault and asked for proof, we sent it, they didn't reply. As a result we paid for the luggage again on the way back. To rub salt into the wound we had paid for exit row seats and during the online check in one of us was switch to a standard seat in the middle. We tried to change this online and it asked us to pay $60. At this stage we were too tired to try to fight it. We didn't pay and sat seperately and just got the horrible experience over with. We since complained to their customer service and suprise suprise there was no response. Anyone thinking of using this airline please do your research and read up on the many complaints you'll find about them online, especially with regards to customer service. It's possible that if there are no small errors or mishaps you would not have to deal with their customer service and then write a review about their Ok leg room and slightly bigger than average inflight screens, because you haven't experienced the customer service or been caught out by their small print tactics. But any slight issue or changes and you are in for a nightmare - it's really not worth the risk. Avoid this company at all costs. I just wish we'd been warned and read the reviews.
RouteDublin to Baltimore via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never fly Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | My husband and I flew Icelandair to Munich from Toronto on August 8, 2018, switching planes in Iceland.We had flown Icelandair in 2015 to Germany and were pleased with them. When we checked in in Toronto we found out we had to pay $225.to check in our luggage.We didn't have to pay for luggage in 2015. A lot of people didn't know about this change until they checked in.We arrived in Munich but not our luggage.After filling out paperwork we were told we would be contacted.We contacted them the next day and we're told our luggage was in Iceland and would be shipped to us in Germany.Five days later my suitcase arrived and a suitcase belonging to someone else.My husband received his suitcase 2 days before we were to return home.On the way home we were agin charged over $200. to check our bags in.We also found out we weren't seated together on either flight.The lady checking us in was able to seat us together from Iceland to Toronto. From Munich to Iceland I was seated in row 14 seat a and my husband was in row 23 seat a.When you are married and buy tickets together you should be seated together. We have not been able to recover anything because we didn't save our luggage tags . We will never fly Icelandair again.
RouteToronto to Munich via Iceland
Date FlownAugust 2018

"not fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Toronto via Reykjavik. Flight over to Copenhagen went well, assistance for my sister as requested, although all luggage lost and not received until the next day. Return trip started going sideways in Reykjavik. Plane was scheduled to depart at 5:05, sat waiting for a connection flight and didn't leave for 35 minutes. Toronto, a disaster--one bus sent for all passengers to go to terminal 3. The doors of the terminal wouldn't open for people to get on the bus. Finally another bus came, I got to terminal 3 and waited 1.5 hours for our luggage to arrive and thus missed our connecting flight to Regina. We had to spent the night in the airport, get in line at 4:30 am to rebuy tickets to get home. I contacted their customer service and they said they were not responsible as we were using another carrier to get to Regina. I pointed out they do not service Regina and had they left on time, and got us to the terminal and sent our luggage over in an efficient manner we wouldn't have missed our flight. We will not fly with this airline again, they are just not into solving the problems they create.
RouteOslo to Toronto via Reykjavik

"seating was terrible"

Not Verified | Hamburg to Detroit via Keflavik. Good choice if you are on a diet and love jogging. I paid almost $4500 for two people for a flight to Germany! No food unless you have a credit card that works (I use discover). The seating was terrible; since I was in the last but second row, I could not recline because the person behind me complaint and protested vehemently because their seat did not recline. We arrived in Boston around 7:15 pm and had to board another plane at 8:06 pm. Almost impossible! We skipped lines, begged people to hurry up and managed only to catch our connecting flight because it was delayed by 40 minutes.
RouteHamburg to Detroit via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Very poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Boston via Reykjavik. Icelandair seems like a good idea because of their competitive prices, but this low cost is met with poor service and incompetent staff. My baggage was lost traveling from Boston to Dublin and 3 days later in Boston I am still yet to receive my luggage. The airline has made little to no effort to inform me with what has been happening with my luggage, they’ve made no effort to compensate me for the cost this has added to my trip or the fact I have had to give up almost an entire day to wait for my luggage which has yet to arrive despite arriving in Boston hours earlier. The Boston ground staff were so incredibly rude and were not willing to help me in anyway. In fact, they made me fill out a form to submit that i’d lost my bag and did not even fill the form correctly and so this has added to the delay. The flight itself is small and is very basic. Do not be tempted by their low prices as it is very much reflected in their service. Very poor customer service and I can’t believe they’ve made no effort to compensate me for my loss time and the money I’ve had to spend.
RouteDublin to Boston via Reykjavik