Icelandair

"crews were really nice and patient"

Verified Review | Washington to Helsinki via Keflavik. The flight crews were really nice and patient. The 6 hour flights had better planes than the 3 hour one from Keflavik to Helsinki and back. We got an old plane coming back from Helsinki, but a new one from Keflavik to DC. The food you had to pay for. Kind of mediocre, but that is airline food. Got a ham and cheese baguette at Keflavik airport. I assume it is the same as that served on plane. Fills you up, but that is it. No lost baggage and almost on time.
RouteWashington to Helsinki via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2017

"treated like a human being"

Verified Review | Chicago to Gatwick return via Keflavik. The check in personnel were very friendly and didn't nickle and dime you due to the weight of check in bags. The seats were in my opinion really comfortable in terms of width and seat pitch. The padding isn't the greatest but you could move in the seat. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular on the service front from a pretty bare bones airline but I was treated like a human being.
RouteChicago to Gatwick via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2017

"We were packed in like sardines"

Verified Review | Flew Reykjavik to Portland. I would agree with the past two reviewers. The airport at Reykjavik is dangerously overcrowded. After spending a very uncomfortable several hours in the airport, we were bussed to our airplane. Then, the plane sat on the ground for another hour while some kind of engine problem was fixed. It was unavoidable, and we did want to have it fixed, but the crew could have done a better job keeping us informed and perhaps doing something to ameliorate the "hurt". We flew economy. We were packed in like sardines. The food offerings available for purchase were hideously expensive and perfectly awful. So, if you fly Icelandair after reading this review and are not willing to pay for business class, be sure to bring your own food and drink onboard. (The wine was pretty bad, too). I would also suggest purchasing your own earphones at home, rather than relying on those available on-board. There were not enough flight attendants to be able to serve the full airplane in a very timely fashion, though they were very pleasant and tried to be helpful. I would love to be able to return to Iceland, but I'm not sure I could face another flight on this airline or through this airport.
AircraftBoeing
RouteReykjavik to Portland
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not fly with Icelandair again"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Montreal via Keflavik. I used to fly IcelandAir all the time. It was a good way to get to Europe to visit family and friends. Unfortunately this last trip was horrible. No gates, just a hallway with no seats. On our leg from Keyflavik to Montreal there were five gates within 40 feet of one another. All five gates has flights leaving at exactly the same time (or within 5 minutes of one another). The hall was full with hundreds of passengers, none of who could sit as it was a hall and the four seats were quickly taken. There was no indication on the electronic signs as to when the gate was to open. When an agent did finally arrive there were no announcements. She just opened up the gate and people rushed to get further on their trip. I don't mind taking a bus and climbing a stair on a flight, but nowhere during our booking were we told that Icelandair doesn't provide any food on their flights. You have to buy anything you want. Even the cabin crew didn't explain this. My wife and I, who used to fly Iceland Air all of the time, were shocked that we got through our six hour flight and no food was served. We then realized that we were supposed to buy the food. Well thanks. I'll just bring a picnic instead of spending $10 on a cup of yogurt. I must say the whole gate thing was the worst. Each airport that I used with Icelandair with the exception of Montreal (YUL) had the same problem. No seats, no good announcements (except at AMS). If you want someone to be at the gate early to ensure they are there make sure there is somewhere for them to sit, and room enough so they are not all crowded together. I used to love this airline but it seems that they have expanded their flight capacity but not their terminal capacity. Shame on them for selling these flights! Figure it out first so we have a comfortable experience from start to finish. I'll not fly with Icelandair again and I hate saying that because I used to fly them all of the time.
RouteAmsterdam to Montreal via Keflavik

"Never again Icelandair"

Verified Review | Stockholm to Boston via Keflavik. Never flying with them again! Planes are old and uncomfortable, each one of the four legs on my journey was late. No gate at KEF, (had to use buses from terminal and the driver admitted he had no idea which plane was ours or the destination), an inability to print boarding passes for both legs in Stockholm, Snooty gate agent service was my reward for spending $1,000 to simply get what was promised. Only bright spot is onboard staff were friendly and helpful. Never again Icelandair.
RouteStockholm to Boston via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2017

"no more reasons for flying Icelandair"

Verified Review | Boston to Munich via Keflavik. I have flown Icelandair for many years, from back when it still was Loftleidir, always between the U.S. and Europe. My last flight was in May 2017. For my next trip I shall choose another airline. I picked Icelandair, usually flying "comfort Economy", because it offered a bit more space between rows and, with the middle seat of a 3-seat group blocked, more room between passengers. With the arrival of the larger efficient Boeings for the transatlantic legs comfort has vanished. For the price of Comfort Economy you now have the pleasure of sitting cramped towards the front of the plane on narrow, uncomfortable seats in the same slave-ship configuration most other airlines use. The aisles have become narrower. Given that stopovers at Keflavik are chaotic because there simply is not enough terminal space to handle simultaneous departures, I have no more reasons for flying Icelandair. Whatever made that airline attractive is gone.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBoston to Munich via Keflavik

"changed to standby"

Verified Review | Washington to Gatwick via Keflavik. Gate agent was of no help at Washington Dulles. My reservation and seat assignment in Premium Economy was unbeknownst to me changed to standby. I was told by the agent the flight was full. Luckily his coworker addressed my situation in a very professional manner by giving me an upgrade to Saga class and a pass to the Air France lounge.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteWashington to Gatwick via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2017

"happy to fly Icelandair again"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | Keflavik to London. First flight with a refurbished Boeing 767 was an uneventful affair. You can't really blame Icelandair for the chaos of KEF airport, that is completely overflowing with passengers and the bad original design is showing. What would be nice is not having to take a bus to a plane. But the weather was nice this morning so it was just fine. I just wonder how they deal with mobile impaired passengers. Icelandair is an efficient if not spectacular airline. Fairly dependable when you have any issues and I'd pick them over a budget option. The 767 is one of the nicer planes in the fleet. There's good legroom, great screen, sufficient entertainment and wifi on board. Icelanders don't seem to have the ability to smile a lot and it shows when you're getting service here. It's cool and maybe that just goes with the country. But it's fairly efficient and it's not unfriendly. Actually if you have any special needs the staff go out of their way to help you. Food and alcohol is for sale, but plenty of water on offer. The flight was over quickly enough and we arrived on time. Would be happy to fly with Icelandair again.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteKeflavik to London
Date FlownJune 2017

"the service was excellent"

Verified Review | During May and June 2017 my wife and I took 4 flights with Icelandair. These were Heathrow - Keflavik - Vancouver and Halifax - Keflavik - Heathrow. LHR-KEF, Sunday 21/05/17, KEF–YVR, Tuesday 23/05/17, YHZ–KEF, Thursday 22/06/17, KEF-LHR, Sunday 25/06/17. The check in on each occasion was good and we were greeted warmly and quickly. The lounges which we used (Halifax does not have a lounge) were good and sufficient for one’s needs. My wife and I normally travel long haul with Emirates and did not know what to expect from Icelandair in-flight service – we need not worried as on each leg the service was excellent and the cabin staff were extremely helpful and extremely pleasant. The food – which we had pre-ordered from the online menu – was well presented. It is worth noting that the total air miles we flew was 7945 and each Saga Class ticket cost £2044 which equates to £0.26 pence per mile which we consider to be excellent value for money.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Vancouver

"there is ample legroom"

Verified Review | As a European living in the US, I travel between the two continents several times a year. After trying a number of different airlines and routes, I now always use Icelandair. I book Economy Comfort, but due to the Saga Silver status that I have acquired I often get free upgrades to Saga Class, which is Icelandair's Business Class. Icelandair still awards miles based on the distance traveled, which means that the 40,000 miles required for Silver status accumulate fairly fast. This is a review of a recent trip from Frankfurt to Boston via Keflavik in Saga Class. The comfort in Saga Class is perfectly sufficient for my needs: the seats are wide, recline a fair bit, and there is ample legroom. Every Saga traveler gets a pillow, blanket, and amenity kit. Service is friendly. The meals consist of Icelandic specialties, such as lamb and fish. They are quite tasty. The selection of alcoholic drinks is sufficient, but nothing to write home about. Inflight entertainment is very good, with an excellent selection of music. (I don't watch inflight movies.) I couldn't get the Wifi to work. The stopover in Keflavik adds an hour or two to the flight, to be sure, but I appreciate the opportunity to walk around and stop by the excellent Saga Lounge. Admittedly, Keflavik airport has become somewhat chaotic. It was clearly not designed for all the Icelandair and Wow flights that are clustered around the early morning and late afternoon. Many planes have to be boarded and boarded on the tarmac, far from the terminal. The waiting areas are absolutely packed, and to make matters worse premium passengers board with everyone else. In sum, Icelandair Saga Class provides a reasonably priced comfortable journey between Europe and the US. Reflecting the spirit of Iceland itself, Saga Class is not excessively luxurious, but I have always been satisfied with the amenities and service provided. Finally, as an added bonus, Icelandair flights between Keflavik and Boston fly over south Greenland. If you keep the blinds open and the weather is good, you will see an amazing island.
RouteFrankfurt to Boston via Keflavik