Icelandair

"leave your schedule open"

Trip Verified | New York to London via Keflavik. I wouldn't say that this is the worst airline ever, but I wouldn't book with them if you have reservations at a certain time after your flight, just leave your schedule after the flight completely open. Both of my flights got me to my destinations late and I dont know if its the airline or the airports, I just think its crazy that the only time I flew with Icelandair my flights were late, and the last one caused me to miss my bus from New York to Philadelphia, which I scheduled for 2 hours after I was expected to land to be on the safe side. The plane flew around in circles and added an hour to our trip (it even showed on the flight map how many times we literally went around in circles). When I departed to begin my trip (in New york) I had to get a printed out ticket even though I checked in online and when I asked a staff member what the point of me checking in online was if I had to do it again at the airport she replied "so you can pick your seat" with an attitude. I fly all the time and have never needed to do that. When I was in Reykjavik and went to the bag drop off to check in and obtain a paper copy of my boarding pass (even though i had an email copy) since that was apparently Icelandair policy the woman looked at me like I was crazy. I explained to her what happened in New York and that I was just trying to ensure I covered my bases, She printed out my ticket and snarkily said "now you have a printed version of your boarding pass". What the heck? Other than those few things I thought the staff were really pleasant and helpful, but I might just spend a little more money to book with a more reliable company because I'm beyond annoyed I had to find another bus to Philadelphia from new york at the last minute that left after 10pm and spend money on another bus ticket.
RouteNew York to London via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"hot meal only for sale!"

Trip Verified | Hamburg to Newark via Keflavik. I could not imagine that on a Transatlantic flight (duration more than 5 hours!) this company did not even offer any snacks to the passengers. I travel quite often and it was first time when the airline not only provide a free hot meal (only for sale!) but did not even give some chips or pretzels to us! No free earphones as well. It looks like their management does not care about their passengers. The only nice touch was a cute bottle of water when we boarded the craft.
RouteHamburg to Newark via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"cabin crew nice and helpful"

Not Verified | On June 3, 2018 I flew on Icelandair, from Cleveland to Glasgowwith a layover in Reykjivík. The planes were a 737 max 8 and a 757-200. There were no delays except for a little one due to the weather in Iceland, but overall, nothing too bad. The seats were comfortable on both aircraft, and the bathrooms were very sanitary. The cabin crew were nice and helpful, and had proper ettiqute. I would highly recommend flying with Icelandairt.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 757-200
RouteCleveland to Glasgow via Reykjivík
Date FlownJune 2018

"undergoing severe growing pains"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Seattle via Reykjavik. Nice idea, to stop over in Iceland for a few days on your way to or from Europe. It was fun the first time I flew Icelandair. Unfortunately the airline, and the Keflavik airport, are undergoing severe growing pains and are not capable of handling the traffic they are booking. They are disorganized, understaffed, and the passenger accommodations suffer both in-flight and on the ground. The seats seem to be the tiniest in the industry. The waiting rooms in Keflavik are severely overcrowded. They charged me $95 to check a single bag each way (okay, I got a good deal on the ticket, but had I known...). And when I got home and checked my bank account, I found out they charged me $23.32 for a single in-flight beer (a can of Gull, which was warm). The flight steward was having trouble with the card reader, so maybe I got charged for multiple swipes, but good luck getting Icelandair to respond. The web form for complaints won't send, and the phone number cannot accept any calls due to high volumes. Right. Do yourself a favor and fly SAS.
RouteOslo to Seattle via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"nightmare connecting through KEF"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Seattle via Keflavik. I used to love Icelandair, and thought it was a well-kept secret for getting from North America to Europe. Smaller planes, easy connections through KEF, Nordic service. No more. It is an absolute nightmare connecting through KEF. There are not enough gates, too many flights arriving and departing at the same hour, and a bottleneck through passport control. Both directions, I had to sprint to make my connections. And that's just unacceptable. I flew Saga Class, which used to be much nicer. There was no priority boarding, and the seats are more akin to a Premium Economy seat. The seats didn't really recline, but strangely, nor did they stay straight upright. Four different seats, and they all kind of sagged back when I sat in them. Flight attendent assured me it was "by design" So, not comfortable as a recliner, and not comfortable in the upright position, either. Food and service in Saga class was good, I must say. Also, before my trip started, I had to change my return date. It took 11 days to get a response from Icelandair that the change was made. Unacceptable. I will not do the tense, stressful connection through KEF again, though. Shame - it used to be a great way to go.
RouteGeneva to Seattle via Keflavik

"Worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Minneapolis via Keflavik. Worst airline experience ever. After baggage fees, it costs the same as Delta. You're charged $100 USD for any carry on over 10 pounds. Save your time and frustration by flying another airline. Try calling the customer service number,they don't even staff the number! If you want something changed, you need to fill out a form online and hopefully someone will contact you. Hint - they never do.
RouteZurich to Minneapolis via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"we never got a seat next to each other"

Trip Verified | I booked my Icelandair flight 6 months ago with my wife from Gatwick to Iceland and Iceland to Seattle and we never got a seat next to each other. They said that there were no seats available and they cannot make changes. There was also no complimentary meal served from Iceland to Seattle which was a 7.5 hours flight. They just served water.
RouteGatwick to Iceland

"and still no luggage."

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Boston via Rejkavik. When checking in (18 hours), there was no seat assignment for the second leg of flight - called Icelandair number - on hold for over an hour. They told me they couldn't address it because it was a "system problem" and they could fix it at counter. At the airport counter, they couldn't assign a seat because it was a "system problem" and the said they could fix it at the next stop. At the next stop, they told me the flight was overbooked (now I understand) and were able to assign a seat. When we arrived in Boston, the jetway was broken and couldn't connect to the plane doorway. So they had to use stairs for the exit and called for a bus. It took over an hour for the bus to arrive. When the bus finally arrived, I discovered that my luggage didn't. It is not easy to find an IcelandAir agent but when we did, the system wasn't working so he couldn't enter the claim. He did give me a claim number but unfortunately it only had 9 digits and the online IcelandAir baggage locator requires 10 so it didn't work. I called Iceland Air again and was on hold for 1 hour and 45 minutes (in my opinion, they are understaffed) and was quite frustrated. I was then routed to the baggage claim who hung up on me (which was quite discouraging) without addressing the lost luggage. Adding it up - 2 hours and 45 minutes on hold and 1 hour waiting for bus and still no luggage. I am not quite sure what to do next.
RouteStockholm to Boston via Rejkavik

"I was not impressed!"

Trip Verified | I was not impressed! The baggage fees, lack of inflight services, lack of communication (4 minor delays), and uncomfortable seats were all pretty disappointing! I would avoid Icelandair. Unfortunately, our tickets were booked as part of a tour package. I'm not sure how Icelandair is a positive to tourism promotion. It felt like torture! That being said, our US bound flight was a newer plane and much better. The airline needs to get their act together and reorganize. I think it would have been more tolerable if they had communicated what was happening and when. People were frustrated! I fly/travel quite a bit, and this was probably my worst international experience!
RouteNewark to Frankfurt via Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2018

"customer service is horrible"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Oslo via Keflavik. Never again. Ok I have been on the waiting line for 2.5 hours. Customer service is horrible. I could not believe that such a terrible service exists. My flight is from Edmonton to Iceland to Norway and I only have one hour stop in Iceland. They said they cannot connect my flight and I have to collect my bag in Iceland and check in again. I cannot do it in 1 hour, they keep saying that since it is a low fare airline they do not connect and now I am trying to get refund.
RouteEdmonton to Oslo via Keflavik