Vote Now

Icelandair

"Would not fly them again"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Keflavik return. The plane appeared to be new with very uncomfortable leather seats. It was like sitting on a rock for 5 hours. The flight was entirely in the dark. Only once were we served a beverage, no coffee before landing in spite of having flown all night. The cabin crew were all well turned out with make-up, hair and nails looking professionaly done and smart uniforms which they seem not to want to get dirty. But not friendly or helpful. We couldn't hear the PA messages, what few there were. Very cold and indifferent. The whole thing repeated itself on return trip. Most cabin crews go the distance to be helpful and especially friendly. There was also no thank you for flying with us as we left the plane. I also have been screened for and received my KTN. Icelandair is too cold and indifferent to participate in the program. Would not fly them again and don't recommend them.
RouteNew York JFK to Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"does exactly what it says on the tin"

Verified Review | I travelled with Icelandair from 30/01/2017 - 12/02/2017 from Manchester to Toronto via Keflavik with a 3 night stopover in Iceland on route. Overall I cannot fault Icelandair as the product they have is good value for money and does exactly what it says on the tin. The flight cost me £270.00 return for economy and did everything that I expected. It was on time, efficient and comfortable with friendly staff all around. I did have my booking amended after I booked due to a flight withdrawal but it was quick and easy when I called them to change, the agent just asked when I would like to travel back and changed my booking there and then without hassle. Onboard, their aircraft are in good shape and they offer 1 3 class config with saga (buisness) class at the front then economy comfort and economy behind. I was sat in seats 10A (MAN-KEF), 16F (KEF-YYZ), 10A (YYZ-KEF) and 16F(KEF-MAN). Seats 10A are convertible seats that can be both economy or economy comfort and I was lucky to have the middle seat free each time I was sat there so could slide the armrest across to give me a bit more space(there is a catch below the armrest that adjusts its position. There is slightly more legroom than normal economy seats. Seats 16F are over wing emergency exit seats so had loads of legroom, however the only downside is the armrest is immoveable as the tray table is stored in it so you cannot make the seat wider, however on both occasions I was sitting there there was nobody next to me. Icelandair have a fantastic product for the price I paid as you get free non alcoholic drinks in economy and a good selection of movies and TV programmes on the IFE, and even better, I had 2x23kg baggage allowance for travelling to/from north America. If you do want something to eat you have the option to pre order and pay before travel or buy onboard, just be aware they operate a cashless system onboard so only accept card payments. Overall Icelandair are highly recommended and I will travel with them again.
RouteManchester to Toronto via Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"probably fly with them again"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Keflavik return with Icelandair. Whilst the staff on board weren’t unpleasant they certainly didn’t go out of their way to make it a particularly memorable flight. They did what was required of them and dealt with any necessary questions but that was it. The announcements weren’t that clear (although that could have been hampered by the noise of the passengers) and I was surprised no safety demonstrations were given, just spoken instructions and told to read the “in case of emergency” card in the pocket in front of you. On the return flight, F1494 Keflavik to Birmingham on Friday 28/10/2016, there was a male member of the cabin crew and he seemed far more willing to assist passengers than the female cabin crew did. One late arriving passenger wanted to be seated with her companion so they asked if there were any empty seats that they could move to? As there was only one vacant seat the male member of staff asked if a few people would be willing to swap seats so the late arrival could sit with their companion and after a brief game of musical chairs the problem was happily sorted out, whilst the female cabin crew just watched and gave an appearance of being unapproachable. As for the seats, they are narrow and not especially comfortable and if you’re in an aisle seat you get the added problem of the cabin crew knocking in to you as they go up and down the plane as the aisle isn’t that wide either. I wouldn’t say Icelandair was the best company I’ve flown with but they weren’t the worst and I’d probably fly with them again but maybe not on a long haul flight.
RouteBirmingham to Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2016

"for a short distance it is fine"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | London to Reykjavik. I bought tickets for myself and partner as it was cheap. As it was only a three hour flight, and I have no issues with the airline. I wouldn't want to fly more than five hours with them, however for a short distance it is fine. If you are that way inclined, you can buy food. But inflight entertainment and water, juice, tea and coffee are provided for free.
RouteLondon to Reykjavik
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Toronto via Keflavik, on January 13th in Saga Class. This was an enjoyable flight overall. We left Frankfurt about 45 minutes late, due to poor weather that morning. The connection times at Keflavik are very short, so I was concerned my bags might not make it. When they showed up on the carousel in Toronto, I was pleasantly surprised. Icelandair seems to run an efficient operation at Keflavik. As many travelers have already pointed out on this website, Icelandair's Saga Class corresponds roughly to what one would expect in a domestic (US) first-class cabin. The seats are large and quite comfortable, but do not recline more than just a bit. There is one tiny bathroom for the entire Saga Class cabin. On the upside, the food can be quite good, especially on flights departing Iceland. Thus, between Keflavik and Toronto I was served a very nice fish stew. The flight attendants were very friendly, making for a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere. The entertainment system offered a good selection of music (including lots of Icelandic records, quite interesting for those who want to educate themselves a bit) on the movie side, I noticed a lot of older titles. In sum, Icelandair's Saga Class seems like a good choice for those who like a break in their transatlantic travel and want a reasonable degree of comfort for a competitive price.
RouteFRA to YYZ via KEF
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"definitely not be using them again"

Verified Review | My husband and I flew from Glasgow to Toronto via Reykjavik. We bought the tickets through Skyscanner with standard meals clearly stated as included in the ticket, however the cabin staff told us that we need to pay for food. After long conversation with the supervisor we managed to get some food (2 salads even though we asked for something else and the stewards made sure in a very rude manners that we won't get another meal on the next flight). I found the comment unbelievable rude, during our conversation I have been asked what is a standard meal because they do not know what is that. I never flew with an airline where you need to pay for the headphones. One of the passengers had to remind the crew for the immigration papers before landing as they were to busy chatting. We will definitely not be using them again.
RouteGLA to YYZ via KEF
Date FlownDecember 2016

"not be using them again"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Reykjavik return. Thankfully only a short flight, the seats are very uncomfortable (budget airline standard). I found one of the stewards quite rude not just to us but also to another passenger who reacted to her the way I wish I had! We boarded a bus to the aircraft then we were left standing on the bus for about 5 mins with the doors closed as clearly they were not ready for us to board - when we did board there wasn't a steward to be seen. Then we sat waiting for 30 mins as the luggage had not been put onboard! When we arrived at Glasgow we started to get off, then the stewards remembered that non EU passengers needed to complete a card - so we were standing in the aisle waiting for these to be handed out (surely these things should be done during the flight). As we started to move the cabin staff put her hand out to stop us as people from the front (I assume these were Icelandair's version of business class passengers (who seemed to be seated in seats other airlines put economy passengers in separated by a curtain) were departing. I found this unbelievable that fare paying passengers are stopped by a raised hand - a gesture I find completely rude. I have flown with a budget airline and knew what to expect with them due to the cost of the flight and I would use them again. However I feel this flight with icelandair only differed because of the inflight entertainment - it was just a no frills "pricey" budget airline and we will not be using them again.
RouteKEF to GLA
Date FlownDecember 2016

"aircraft are old and tired"

Verified Review | Seattle to Keflavík roundtrip in B757 in Saga Class, Icelandair's premier product. The only reason to fly Icelandair is that it is the only reasonable way to get from the US to Iceland (the other Icelandic airline that services the USA has terrible reviews). Icelandair's 757 aircraft are old and tired, and the interiors are now showing their age. The Saga Class seat is woefully behind the times. It is comfortable but for a flight that is 6+ hours you expect a flatbed. The one thing Icelandair takes seriously is food. However, if you are vegetarian, be sure to notify then in advance. On the inbound flight from KEF to SEA, it was disgraceful of Icelandair to make passengers go exposed through driving rain and cold to the aircraft after first boarding a bus packed like sardines. A few elderly passengers were seriously inconvenienced. Icelandair has to up its game and replace its fleet. If I had a choice I would not fly the airline for its current product.
RouteSEA to KEF
Date FlownOctober 2016

"ruining our vacation"

Verified Review | London to Keflavik, and Icelandair left 70 passenger's bags in London for no reason - they said "computer error" and that they didn't notice that 70 bags didn't make it on the plane. They also left 1 hour later than our planned takeoff because they were still loading luggage on the plane. When we arrived in Keflavik we were told that our luggage may arrive on a later flight that lands at 11:30 pm that day and that they would try to deliver the luggage to our hotel by noon the next day. This meant that we would miss two of the tours that we had already paid for due to our missing luggage. One of which was for the Blue Lagoon and the facility was booked for the entire week. Instead of missing both tours, we opted to miss the Northern Lights tour that evening, rent a car and go back to the airport from our hotel that evening at midnight. We retrieved our luggage and got back to our hotel at 2 am. We asked Icelandair if they would change our return flight to the later flight on the 26th and they refused, berated us on the phone and told us that there was nothing they could do or would do as this was their policy. No compensation - no apologies - no care for their passengers. Never flying Icelandair again. Thanks for ruining our vacation.
RouteLHR to KEF
Date FlownNovember 2016

"will not fly with them again"

Verified Review | My wife and I flew from Brussels to Toronto via Keflavik with Icelandair. Unfortunately our bags did not stop over with us. The Icelandair rep in Brussels checked our bags through to Toronto without our knowledge. Incredibly he never thought to ask us even though there was a 16 hour gap between our arrival in Keflavik and our departure. This has never happened in our many years of flying. But the truly incredible part is that after two emails to Icelandair customer service we have still not received any response. Don't need the arrogant service. I have flown Icelandair on three return trips, my first being way back in 1974. We will not fly with them again.
RouteBRU to YYZ via KEF