Iberia

"not able to seat us next to each other"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Panama City to Hamburg via Madrid. Within three weeks my girlfriend and I experienced that Iberia personel were not able to seat us next to each other on three out of four flights despite us emphasizing this wish during check in. Despite our early check in they would even charge us afterwards to change the seating and told us that it was possible to be seated next to each other if we just paid the charge. Furthermore the service was bad - personel did not seem to care much about the passengers. You have to take a flight for more than 6 hours to get anything to eat or drink (we did not get anything for our three hour flight). For our more than 10 hour flights we barely got enough food due to two small servings. The seats were small and it was difficult to sit next to each other. The entertainment touch screen that did not really to react when touched and the movies were outdated. Would not recommend using Iberia.
RoutePanama City to Hamburg via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Worst customer service"

Verified Review | Madrid to London. I fly around 4 times a year to Spain from London and I usually take BA but sometimes Iberia operates BA flights. From my experience they are usually late and try to rush to arrive just on time. On my last trip, we arrived to London to find out that around 10 people were missing the luggage. I had some food in the luggage which went bad but that was the minor issue. I had to take a trip to Mexico 24 hours after this trip and they couldn't locate the bag. They do not have line managers in their phone service so don't try to ask for one. I asked for the phone to contact the courier company who was supposed to take my bag to my house and their reply was "we do not work with phone numbers". They were reading to me literally what I could read on the World tracer website to hurry up and hanging the phone as soon as possible. A really distressful and frustrating experience for holidays. If you can, stay away from Iberia! Worst customer service.
RouteMadrid to London
Date FlownJuly 2017

"got switched to this terrible airline"

Verified Review | This airline was a nightmare. Flew Madrid to Boston. Picked my seats 8 months ahead of time only to get there early and be told I couldn't sit next to my fiance who I had just engaged while overseas. Afterwards they stopped me on my way to the plane and literattly ripped my carry on out of my hand on the gate ramp and demanded it be checked even though a ton of other people were bringing their bags on and mine was small. On the plane there was a lot of overhead space. I had my benadryl for flight help and much more in my carry on that was important. AC was terrible and the plan was hot, amd it was a 7 hour flight. Supposed to be comfortable! I'll never fly this again. My ticket was supposed to be American, got switched to this terrible airline.
RouteMadrid to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not helpful or sympathetic"

Verified Review | Paid $37 extra to pick my seat when I bought my ticket to fly from Miami to Madrid. When I went online to check in for my flight the day prior to the flight, they had changed the plane and my seat no longer existed. When I called customer service, they said I had to pay another $37 and pick a new seat. I was told that when I got back from my trip, to call back and they would refund me for the original seat. I did exactly what they said. The first time I called customer service, they Iberian Representative said he could not find 2 seats, just one, so he could not refund me. I asked to speak to his manager. I was placed on hold for 20 minutes and eventually hung up on. I called back the customer service number later in the day and a women answered. She told me I had to file a claim on the website. I explained to here that I was told we could do this over the phone. She was not helpful or sympathetic. I do not understand that because the airline changed the plane which messed up my seating, why I have to waste my time jumping throw hoops to get my money back. The plane seats are super uncomfortable (9 hour flight) and the food on the plane was pretty awful. So overall - terrible experience.
RouteMiami to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2017

"flights were amended 3 times"

Verified Review | London to Almeria via Madrid. My flights were amended 3 times before my trip. I resorted to changing my return flight from Almeria to Madrid because of the final time change. I also then had to change my ongoing train from the UK airport to home because of the time factor. When I arrived at Heathrow, the BA check-in assistant said there was not enough time between my Heathrow to Madrid and Madrid to Almeria flights for my luggage to be transferred. She said Iberia are always doing this. Her superior told her that the luggage could only be booked to Madrid and that I would have to sort the problem out there. Iberia do not have a desk at Heathrow. The assistant printed out boarding cards for both outgoing flights. I would have to collect my luggage at Madrid and check it in again. At the boarding gate an assistant checked my details and insisted that I’d booked the flights separately. I disagreed. I later checked this online: I had one booking reference; therefore I had not booked them separately. Iberia never acknowledged this. I spoke to a flight attendant on-board. He said this had not happened before. He said that the assistant at check-in should have booked my luggage to go all the way to Almeria. He said ‘BA are always doing this’, contradicting his earlier comment. A Heathrow member of staff said she would make a note of what had happened. On landing at Madrid, I ran to Enquiries to be told to go straight to the gate and make a claim for the luggage at Almeria. No one had told me this previously. I am 61 years old and had to run the length of the airport to board my plane by the skin of my teeth. On arriving at Almeria, I made my claim. Again I was told my luggage should have been booked right through! I eventually got my luggage the next evening. In a reply to my email to Iberia, they asked for various details as if I was making a claim for 'lost' luggage. Iberia also gave me some platitudes regarding airport policies on change of flight times. They had misunderstood some of the main points of my email: to make Iberia aware of the complete shambles of booking my flights, particularly with not enough time allocated between connecting flights and little or no coordination with BA, whom I dealt with during check in at Heathrow. In their last email to me, Iberia said 'As long as you have confirmed connecting tickets which comply with the minimum times we can usually offer you the possibility of getting your boarding cards and checking in your luggage through to the final destination'. When I booked the tickets for my flight, I expected Iberia to confirm 'connecting tickets which comply with the minimum times'. They indicated that the onus was on me. I strongly disagree. In fact, I spoke at length with BA Customer Services who said that if I tried to book a flight online with them, their website would not permit such a booking with such a short connecting time between flights! I feel that they tried to fob me off by deflecting my criticisms and complaints. I do not intend to fly with this company again.
RouteLondon to Almeria via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"service onboard was perfect"

Verified Review | Madrid to New York JFK. Iberia is doing a real good job on the business user. Check at Madrid was very fast. Fast track in less than a minute. Lounge is great. The only issue, still don't know how to deal with the boarding. People around the gate, it's a bit messy. Once on board, FA's are better than ever, serving with a smile, and around all flight. Really comfy seats, all with direct aisle access. Pre-drinks served, bar was great, and food very tasty and with a mediterranean look. IFE very efficient, and overall experience of the service onboard was perfect. On time departure/arrival, and I was on a cab 20 min short after my arrival at JFK, impressive.
AircraftA340-600
RouteMadrid to New York JFK
Date FlownJune 2017

"ground crew rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | Iberia staff are rude and unwelcoming. I entered the lounge for my Madrid to Rome flight as I have with other airlines on 100s of occassions with a flying partner and was told the offer only extended to myself. I left and checked the website and returned as the rules say with partner, the same attendant said "I Know the rules" so I asked for a supervisor who read the rules and said I could enter with a partner to which I said "No, thank you", why would I want to expose myself to further rudeness and poor attitude. The onboard staff are pleasant however, ground crew rude and unhelpful.
RouteMadrid to Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"cabin crew were friendly and helpful"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | The Iberia check in in Orly was efficient although the check in agent did ask me to change my seat on the plane instead her doing it - I guess she couldn't be bothered so early in the morning. The breakfast they served from Paris to Madrid or anywhere in Europe has not been changed for the past few years - packet of fruit, yogurt drink, a biscotti, a croissant and eggs with tomato sauce. Transit in Madrid was quick and easy but lounge in T4S in the morning was full and crowded. The mid range A319 on the way to Tel Aviv had dedicated business class seats but clearly the cabin is dated and seats are well worn. Choose row 2DF for the extra legroom. Cabin crew were friendly, helpful and present on both flights and they were extremely apologetic for the malfunctioning handheld entertainment device. Turned out all the machines they had on board were not charged on the ground. They also gave out a laughable amenity kit for the 5 hour flight.
AircraftA320 / A319
RouteParis to Tel Aviv via Madrid

"certainly no compensation"

Verified Review | Santiago de Compostela to Zurich via Madrid. From Madrid to Zurich I was the only business class passenger. They forgot to load the dinner, and my meal consisted of salad, a roll and some nuts. Far away from what Iberia calls "a dinner that will surpass your expectations" on their website. After the flight, I contacted their customer service - and this is the main reason, why I publish a review here. You wait for weeks to get an answer and when it finally arrives, it consists of prewritten modules and a lot of marketing slang, but no real regret and certainly no compensation.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteSantiago de Compostela to Zurich via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"Both flights were delayed"

Verified Review | Porto to London via Madrid with Iberia this week after many years without using them and not impressed. Both flights were delayed, first flight over 40 min late, on arrival to Madrid T4 had to run to board my connecting flight on time. After an on time boarding for the flight to Heathrow we stayed inside the plane over 1h before move away for take off without any information. The result was a late arrival at Heathrow and I missed my connection to Aberdeen with BA. Service is paid for.
AircraftCRJ1000 / A340