Iberia

"I need a letter from Iberia"

Trip Verified | London to Lima in December 2017, with a stopover in Madrid. As soon as I arrived in Lima, I was told that my baggage was delayed. They issued me a ticket, saying the baggage would arrive the day after and that I should pick it up from the airport. That would be fine - but the day after would be the only opportunity for me to pick it up in Lima, as I would travel to other places in Peru after that, for 15 days. The day after - I arrived at the airport to find the desk closed, and the Info help desk tried in vain to help us call the number stated in the directory. No answer. For the next 15 days, I would be making daily phone calls to their helpline. By the way, they only allow you to call the "call centre" but the people here cannot really help you - they don't know what's happening on the ground, neither can they make any decisions regarding your request. I asked them to send my baggage to Cusco where I was - call centre people said "yes, we will leave a message for the airline to do so". But every day i called up the luggage would still be in Lima and the call centre people kept saying "yes we will leave the message". This went on until my final day when i was in Lima to fly out of Peru and there, i picked up the luggage myself (after a very convoluted process at the airport in itself). Needless to say, I made a claim to Iberia for delayed baggage compensation. They issued only half the amount of what their policy says I should be entitled to, and despite my question as to why, they informed me that the case was closed without giving any reasons. In order to make a claim through my travel insurer for the additional expenses I incurred, I need a letter from Iberia stating the date they returned the luggage to me and the final amount they compensated me. But despite me sending several emails to the helpline email address requesting this, they refuse to give me that letter. This effectively prevents me from making a claim to my insurer to cover the costs incurred by me.
RouteLondon to Lima via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Be aware with this airline"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | I paid to select 4 seats, row 8 and 9 (two window seats and two corridor seats) when I bought my tickets. 24 hrs before my flight, I did the online check-in, and my selected seats changed to row 48 aprox. When we arrived at the airport they told us that they changed the aircraft and the rows I selected did not exist on that aircraft, because the economy cabin started from row 21, so my seats had to be changed to row 48 aprox. two corridor seats, one middle seat, and one window seat, I would never have paid such a large amount of money for those seats! I complained and demanded a refund, but they told us they couldn’t do anything, and if I wanted a refund I had to complain to Iberia’s offices in Buenos Aires, and they will only refund me the middle seat. The only Iberia aircraft that the economy cabin begins from row 21 is the A340-600. But when the plane arrived I noticed it was A330-200 that was the plane that was supposed fly! So I asked why did my seats change since the seats I selected physically existed on that plane, and they did not give us a clear answer. When I entered the plane, the distribution was as it was supposed to be, meaning that the seats I selected really existed. I am still confused with what happened to our seats, and hoping it does not happen again on the return flight (MAD-EZE). I think that this issue must be clarified and give us a compensation due to the problems caused by this involuntary change of seat. The seats were standard and the service was poor. The plane was only 1 year old, so it was in very good conditions. Be aware with this airline.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBuenos Aires to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"lost luggage clerk was rude"

Trip Verified | The check in for Iberia flight 3279 on 04 Feb 2018 from Budapest to Marrakech via Madrid. During check in we were informed we could check in our cabin luggage free so we elected to check in the larger of the 2 bags which was still "legal" cabin size, but it would make our boarding easier. When we got to the gate, we were informed we had to gate check my wife's bag which was tiny (50x33x20) compared to many other bags people had at the gate. So we arrived at our terrible 28 inch spaced seat with only a personal briefcase and wife's pocket book. However, many of the other passengers had quite large carry on bags and in some cases had 2 large bags. All of these in "Economy". Of course, when we got to Marrakech, my wife's bag was still in Budapest with no flight until 06 Feb 2018. In addition, the lost baggage people in Marrakech rudely informed us we would have to come back to the airport to pick it up if it comes in. No delivery to our hotel. When we went back on 06 Feb 2018 to pick it up if it came in, the lost luggage clerk was rude and arrogant and informed me we should be grateful to him that we got it back at all.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteBudapest to Marrakech via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Crew were very unprofessional"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | New aircraft, looks good. But on board service was very poor. It was a 12 hour flight from Guatemala City to Madrid but they did not supply aminity kits. Even the bathroom didn't have soap or lotions. Crew were very unprofessional with very rude behaviour. It was like a low cost carrier service. Wifi service too expensive. Really bad experience with Iberia. Should to think before flying and compare other long haul airlines service.
AircraftA330-200 & A321
RouteGuatemala City to Düsseldorf via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"pleasant and enjoyable flight"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Good experience with Iberia. From Rome to Madrid in January 2018, the flight was very punctual, we took off at the exact time from Fiumicino airport and arrived at the Madrid Barajas airport at the appointed time. It was a pleasant and enjoyable flight, comfortable seats and good service from cabin crew. I recommend it.
RouteRome to Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"would never ever risk booking them again"

Trip Verified | I booked Iberia for a family holiday to South Africa to visit family. Booked the flights nearly a year in advance to get the best prices. When I phoned to add a new born baby to the booking a number of months later I discovered that the flight time for the first leg had changed so I didn't have time to transfer for the second leg. Iberia were offering a full refund. But a refund is no good as then you have no flight. And as months had passed the prices on all airlines had increased. I had no choice but to accept the refund and pay extra to book flights with another airline. Or cancel the trip. I have since heard of other people having similar problems with Iberia on long haul routes. Where parts of the journey are cancelled close to the departure date and Iberia just shrug and offer a refund leaving people with no flights to where they are going. I would never ever risk booking them again for a long haul flight.
RouteDublin to Johannesburg via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

Iberia customer review

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York. My friend and I flew from Madrid to NYC on January 10th. The staff was arrogant and unprofessional. They spent almost all of the flight talking on the back side. We needed to ask for water four times and receive attitude about it. Food was served extremely hot or extremely cold.
RouteMadrid to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"seats were very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Panama City. Very impressed with the seats which were very comfortable. Standard of food was excellent, good choice of wines and frequently offered a range of drinks. Electric seats could be angled for comfort. Staff friendly but some had limited English. Entertainment not too great, not many recent films but as it was an overnight flight not too much of a problem.
RouteMadrid to Panama City

"The worst flight ever"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Madrid to Rio de Janeiro. The worst flight ever and I make around 150 flights per year. The seat was not reclinable because it was broken. No possibility to change the seat (fully booked flight). No entertainment service working for a 10 hour flight. The staff on board didn't answer when we called them. When we search for them, she was seated reading a magazine.
RouteMadrid to Rio de Janeiro
Date FlownMay 2017

"the service was appalling"

Trip Verified | Flying from Bogota to London via Madrid, we travelled in Premier Economy expecting to enjoy some more comfort and better service. The seats and additional space were definitely better however the service was appalling, again. We fly reasonably regularly to Bogota, and every time we fly Iberia we are disappointed. This time the Steward attending our seats was rude and impatient. Regularly not waiting to hear our question or food order before leaving and bringing back what he thought we'd asked for. He was abrupt and often didn't bring what he offered and we asked for eg. a glass of water. The food was poor again but having travelled Iberia on this route a few times we expected poor food. On top of this, I asked for a gin and tonic with my meal and was told I'd have to pay for the gin. This I didn't expect having paid for premium economy tickets on a long haul flight. I wouldn't expect this in economy either on a long haul flight. Perhaps my expectations are wrong. I thought Iberia and BA were premium National carrier airlines, not budget airlines like Ryanair. Then on landing in London, we were advised that our luggage didn't make our connecting flight. We filled in our missing baggage forms and were told they would be delivered that evening. Of course they weren't. I checked the tracking numbers which said the new flights our baggage was supposedly on had landed had 4pm. I say flights because they split our bags over 2 different flights. I say supposedly as the tracking website said they hadn't located our baggage. Calling the helpline the next day they confirmed the new flights landed the day before but still couldn't confirm if they had our baggage. Our wait continues. We're unlikely to fly Iberia on this route again as there are other airline options. I don't know if this route is a problem with Iberia or if they are poor in general.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy