Airline of the Year

Iberia

"service onboard was perfect"

Verified Review | Madrid to New York JFK. Iberia is doing a real good job on the business user. Check at Madrid was very fast. Fast track in less than a minute. Lounge is great. The only issue, still don't know how to deal with the boarding. People around the gate, it's a bit messy. Once on board, FA's are better than ever, serving with a smile, and around all flight. Really comfy seats, all with direct aisle access. Pre-drinks served, bar was great, and food very tasty and with a mediterranean look. IFE very efficient, and overall experience of the service onboard was perfect. On time departure/arrival, and I was on a cab 20 min short after my arrival at JFK, impressive.
AircraftA340-600
RouteMadrid to New York JFK
Date FlownJune 2017

"ground crew rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | Iberia staff are rude and unwelcoming. I entered the lounge for my Madrid to Rome flight as I have with other airlines on 100s of occassions with a flying partner and was told the offer only extended to myself. I left and checked the website and returned as the rules say with partner, the same attendant said "I Know the rules" so I asked for a supervisor who read the rules and said I could enter with a partner to which I said "No, thank you", why would I want to expose myself to further rudeness and poor attitude. The onboard staff are pleasant however, ground crew rude and unhelpful.
RouteMadrid to Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"cabin crew were friendly and helpful"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | The Iberia check in in Orly was efficient although the check in agent did ask me to change my seat on the plane instead her doing it - I guess she couldn't be bothered so early in the morning. The breakfast they served from Paris to Madrid or anywhere in Europe has not been changed for the past few years - packet of fruit, yogurt drink, a biscotti, a croissant and eggs with tomato sauce. Transit in Madrid was quick and easy but lounge in T4S in the morning was full and crowded. The mid range A319 on the way to Tel Aviv had dedicated business class seats but clearly the cabin is dated and seats are well worn. Choose row 2DF for the extra legroom. Cabin crew were friendly, helpful and present on both flights and they were extremely apologetic for the malfunctioning handheld entertainment device. Turned out all the machines they had on board were not charged on the ground. They also gave out a laughable amenity kit for the 5 hour flight.
AircraftA320 / A319
RouteParis to Tel Aviv via Madrid

"certainly no compensation"

Verified Review | Santiago de Compostela to Zurich via Madrid. From Madrid to Zurich I was the only business class passenger. They forgot to load the dinner, and my meal consisted of salad, a roll and some nuts. Far away from what Iberia calls "a dinner that will surpass your expectations" on their website. After the flight, I contacted their customer service - and this is the main reason, why I publish a review here. You wait for weeks to get an answer and when it finally arrives, it consists of prewritten modules and a lot of marketing slang, but no real regret and certainly no compensation.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteSantiago de Compostela to Zurich via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"Both flights were delayed"

Verified Review | Porto to London via Madrid with Iberia this week after many years without using them and not impressed. Both flights were delayed, first flight over 40 min late, on arrival to Madrid T4 had to run to board my connecting flight on time. After an on time boarding for the flight to Heathrow we stayed inside the plane over 1h before move away for take off without any information. The result was a late arrival at Heathrow and I missed my connection to Aberdeen with BA. Service is paid for.
AircraftCRJ1000 / A340
RoutePorto to London via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"staff were nice and friendly"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Flew Iberia from Madrid to Athens. Very good punctuality, we arrived 20 minutes before the scheduled time. The staff were nice and friendly. The space between seats is spectacular. The captain informed us about the route that we were going to do and some points that could be observed from the windows.
RouteMadrid to Athens
Date FlownApril 2017

"obvious difference between long and short haul"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Boston to Bucharest via Madrid with Iberia. We had a nice flight from BOS to MAD. It was obvious the difference between long haul and short haul on this airline. Food very good and entertainment system with updated films and very easy to operate. Cabin crew was the worst; they should be more nice and helpful. I was waiting for more then ten minutes after calling attendant when I decided to get up so I could get water for my kid - they were talking and reading magazines in the back of the plane. Ckeck-in staff was also untrained or unfriendly. I asked for seats with more space and leg room that airlines usually keep for families, but first they told me they were occupied and less than a minute after, they said it was $32 per seat. In the end, these seats were vacant, and families were travelling with less space - it just seems they tell you the anwser that will give them less trouble.
RouteBoston to Bucharest via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2017

"No food or water included"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Porto to London via Madrid. When we got to the airport they told there was problem with our tickets. I called my travel agency, and after more than 2hours Iberia admited a mistake. We lost the first flight to Madrid just because of a small system error. Iberia refused to pay for the best option for us, and we had to accept the option of flying late. When we got to madrid (almost 11pm) we head to iberia costumer service and they refuse to pay or assist us in finding a hotel. I had to pay for everything, taxi, hotel and food! In the morning, we head to airport and the flight was 45mins late. No food or water was included in ticket. I never found staff so unfriendly.
RouteOPO to LHR via MAD
Date FlownApril 2017

"service attentive and friendly"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Madrid to Buenos Aires return, a 13 hour long flight. Excellent service, attentive, friendly. Brand new aircraft. Confortable seats. Departure right on time. Arrival 30 minutes before schedule. Quite, smooth flight. Better than average inflight entertainment, both hardware and selection. Nice touchscreen. Food and drink was just OK, however. Great price. We travelled with our 2 kids (8 and 7), and they loved it, and crew was particularly friendly to them. By far better than most European airlines. Seems that Iberia has undestood that the client wants service and value for money. And they deliver.
RouteMadrid to Buenos Aires

"a race against time"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Ibiza to Madrid via Valencia. April 17, 2017, at 4:30 PM our chauffeur service from the hotel took us to Ibiza Airport. We got to the airport at 4:45pm and went to the Iberia's One World/Business Class check-in counter for us to get on the flight to Madrid via IB 8027. We told the staff that we have a subsequent connection to Manila via Doha from Madrid. For some bizarre twist of fate, we were placed on waitlist despite having confirmed seats. We were told that since we have a Ruby Status on OneWorld, we would get prioritized as the flight was overbooked and that there will be passengers who would not show up. After security checks clearance, we read on the flight info monitor where our boarding gate was. We whiled away the time at the lounge and at the same time, checking if the boarding commenced, until it started at 5:40pm. Boarding was late by 10 minutes. So we had to approach the check in staff of Iberia and informed her of the situation. She just nonchalantly made us wait on the side until boarding was done. When the last passenger came, we approached her again only to be told that the we could not be accommodated on the flight despite having international connection to Manila via Doha on Qatar Airways (Business Class). We were then instructed to go back to the check in counter in order for them to resolve our case. We were not even guided or escorted on how we were supposed to get back considering all our bags were checked. So off we went. When we reached the counter, the Supervisor was there. She placed us on a flight IB 8437 to Valencia and subsequently on IB 8027 from Valencia to Madrid. She asked where our luggage where and we told her that they were checked in. She said you have to get it from the belt. So my partner had to run back to the arrival area and make his way inside the luggage carousel to get the backs to be re-checked in. I then asked her if we'll make it in time for our flight. She only answered by telling us that we would be arriving in Madrid at 10pm and that we'll have to get our bags and run to Qatar Airways' check in counter. We were told also to show our null boarding pass from Ibiza-Madrid either in Valencia or Madrid in order to get compensated from being bumped off. We were left with no choice but to take it as there were no other options. When we get to the boarding gate for our flight to Valencia, we noticed that our boarding passes for the Valencia-Madrid leg bore the same name (Atienza) although with different seat assignments. We again approached the same Iberia boarding staff regarding this and told us to inform Iberia boarding staff that it was their fault and that we should be let on the flight. We took the flight IB 8437 operated by Air Nostrum to Valencia which took 35 minutes. We deplaned and went to the boarding gate for our Valencia-Madrid leg on IB 8027 and begged for the staff their to get in touch with Qatar Airways as it was not our fault to get bumped off and for them to wait for us since we were flying in Business Class. All we got was the staff's word that she would call but whether or not she did, there was no way for us to know. We were also given a proof for us to get compensated for being bumped off our Ibiza to Madrid flight indicating a minimum compensation of €125/passenger. IB 8027 flight was delayed. It was totally a race against time. We boarded the flight and touched down half past 9pm. And to our bewilderment, we deplaned at a far flung gate.
RouteIbiza to Madrid via Valencia