Vote Now

Iberia

"a race against time"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Ibiza to Madrid via Valencia. April 17, 2017, at 4:30 PM our chauffeur service from the hotel took us to Ibiza Airport. We got to the airport at 4:45pm and went to the Iberia's One World/Business Class check-in counter for us to get on the flight to Madrid via IB 8027. We told the staff that we have a subsequent connection to Manila via Doha from Madrid. For some bizarre twist of fate, we were placed on waitlist despite having confirmed seats. We were told that since we have a Ruby Status on OneWorld, we would get prioritized as the flight was overbooked and that there will be passengers who would not show up. After security checks clearance, we read on the flight info monitor where our boarding gate was. We whiled away the time at the lounge and at the same time, checking if the boarding commenced, until it started at 5:40pm. Boarding was late by 10 minutes. So we had to approach the check in staff of Iberia and informed her of the situation. She just nonchalantly made us wait on the side until boarding was done. When the last passenger came, we approached her again only to be told that the we could not be accommodated on the flight despite having international connection to Manila via Doha on Qatar Airways (Business Class). We were then instructed to go back to the check in counter in order for them to resolve our case. We were not even guided or escorted on how we were supposed to get back considering all our bags were checked. So off we went. When we reached the counter, the Supervisor was there. She placed us on a flight IB 8437 to Valencia and subsequently on IB 8027 from Valencia to Madrid. She asked where our luggage where and we told her that they were checked in. She said you have to get it from the belt. So my partner had to run back to the arrival area and make his way inside the luggage carousel to get the backs to be re-checked in. I then asked her if we'll make it in time for our flight. She only answered by telling us that we would be arriving in Madrid at 10pm and that we'll have to get our bags and run to Qatar Airways' check in counter. We were told also to show our null boarding pass from Ibiza-Madrid either in Valencia or Madrid in order to get compensated from being bumped off. We were left with no choice but to take it as there were no other options. When we get to the boarding gate for our flight to Valencia, we noticed that our boarding passes for the Valencia-Madrid leg bore the same name (Atienza) although with different seat assignments. We again approached the same Iberia boarding staff regarding this and told us to inform Iberia boarding staff that it was their fault and that we should be let on the flight. We took the flight IB 8437 operated by Air Nostrum to Valencia which took 35 minutes. We deplaned and went to the boarding gate for our Valencia-Madrid leg on IB 8027 and begged for the staff their to get in touch with Qatar Airways as it was not our fault to get bumped off and for them to wait for us since we were flying in Business Class. All we got was the staff's word that she would call but whether or not she did, there was no way for us to know. We were also given a proof for us to get compensated for being bumped off our Ibiza to Madrid flight indicating a minimum compensation of €125/passenger. IB 8027 flight was delayed. It was totally a race against time. We boarded the flight and touched down half past 9pm. And to our bewilderment, we deplaned at a far flung gate.
RouteIbiza to Madrid via Valencia
Date FlownApril 2017

"polite but not friendly"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Madrid to Mexico City. Flight in business class after using the system of Iberia with the minimum bet (500 €) to upgrade from economy. Comfortable seats, complete reclining, individual space due to alternative design of seats spacing. Crew was polite but not friendly, they did their job and no more. Free wifi was a joke, only 4 Mb were free, for further connection huge prices. Food was not good. They had instead, a wide selection of Spanish wines, which were super ok. Flight delayed for about 1 hour. Big personal tv screen with many new movies.
RouteMadrid to Mexico City
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Crew were very attentive"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Madrid to Lima. Quite a lousy experience on an old A340-600 (the age was very much visible in the toilets). Seats are the like of Alitalia business class but seem narrower so it's more difficult to sleep, although fully flat. Touch screen was very slow and I ended up using the remote touch screen to get things done. Crew were very attentive - and that's the big plus of this flight - but food quite tasteless (my fish was overcooked and the yoghurt tart was stone-heavy), wine ok but nothing special. I was expecting something more in terms of soft product, got a bit disappointed. A nice touch was a 4MBvoucher for the wi-fi, which is nothing if you want to download stuff or even check your mail, but allowed me to whatsapp for an hour or so (no files sent, obviously).
RouteMadrid to Lima
Date FlownApril 2017

"I could not sit down properly"

Verified Review | Flew Iberia from Hamburg to Madrid. The seat row spacing was so tight that I could not sit down properly. The crew saw this and re-seated me. So great crew but due to the seat row spacing, never again. Both flights the same disaster. Any of you who are taller than 190cm should not book Iberia short haul. Cannot judge on long haul.
RouteHamburg to Madrid

"a very serious problem"

Verified Review | While Iberia is known to deliver a decent, if not stellar, service in Business Class (with the exception of the shameful Iberia Express brand which should be all Economy), there is a very serious problem with its checking agents in Paris Orly (Iberia Staff? Vueling? IAG? Outside contractor?) who possibly deliver the worst service in the Industry. These agents are quite brazen about doing as little as possible with the worst professional attitude, and they seem completely unsupervised. The Iberia rule is to open check-in 2.30 hours before departure time. Check-in seldom opens more than 2 hours ahead of time, with no agent to be seen before. It creates long lines including in the Priority line where the criteria is not enforced. This invariably results in chaos and altercations, handled by the staff in a tone more adaptd to women guards in female prisons. If in addition the check in banks stop rolling and accepting checked bags (frequent and not Iberia's fault), they continue accepting passengers, printing tags and leaving them loose for future attachment to heaps of baggage just left there, which must result in horribly misdirected luggage in large quantities. In other words, these agents need supervision, and training both in operations and addressing passengers. Obviously they get none whatsoever.
RouteParis Orly to Madrid

"an absolute delight"

Verified Review | London to Bogota via Madrid with Iberia. This was an absolute delight. It started with a very good experience in the British Airways business Lounge as this was a code share flight. We flew after 8 PM from Gatwick to Madrid and after changing terminaI was able to go in the Iberia business Lounge which was deserted and use a bed in the relaxing area and successfully slept all night. Woke and havd a complimentary shower and shave and then a good breakfast before my flight from Madrid to Bogotá at noon. The business class seats all laid out very well and all seats are accessible without clambering over any other people. There are various airlines that if you get stuck by the window or in the middle and the other person puts their bed down then you've got no choice but to try and climb across them. All very poor but certainly not with Iberia. The staff attention was good and so were the meals. It seems that the Spanish still take the service sector as a career rather than a reluctant top up job like they might in the UK. There are still a sense of pride by working with an airline. On the return sector everything was equally as good and I think I slept for nearly 8 hours. I really didn't want to get off the plane. I have travelled numerous times on different business airlines and I must say this was amongst the best. I now I want to go again.
RouteLondon to Bogota via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"won't hesitate to fly them again"

Verified Review | Zürich to Palma de Mallorca via Madrid. The first leg of my trip to the Island of Mallorca was a rather underwhelming experience. The seats were worn, the cabin filthy and some parts of the cabin interior were loose and needed a fix. The temperature onboard was far too warm - maybe a trick by the crew to push the inflight-sale of drinks? On the positive side, the flight was full and the crew happily helped me to find a space for my cabin luggage as I was among the last passengers to board. Another big plus was the fact that the aircraft was pushed back from the stand on the clock and touched down in Barajas 20 minutes before schedulded arrival. The second leg to Palma on Iberia Express, a couple of hours later, was a much better experience. The aircraft interior looked clean and fresh and so did the cheerful all-female cabin crew. I especially liked their colourful uniforms. Once again the flight left on time and touched down a couple of minutes before schedulded arrival. Happy smiles and warm "bye-byes" to the leaving passengers at the aircraft door. I won't hesitate to fly with them again.
RouteZürich to Palma via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"nice experience with Iberia"

(Spain)

Verified Review | I flew from Athens to Madrid a few days ago with my family. It was a 3.5 hour flight. The flight was on time, they are very punctual. The stewardesses were kind. As a Spanish airline they speak Spanish and English too. Also I could heard some explainings in Greek (good thing for the people from Greece). The legroom was quite smaller, but the seats were very comfortable. It was a "short" flight so they didn't serve food. It was a nice experience with Iberia. I recommend it!
RouteAthens to Madrid

"the cabin is spacious"

Verified Review | Madrid to London Heathrow. Deliberately booked this flight as it is planned as a wide-bodied aircraft. Held for a long time on the airbridge for no apparent reason. Allocated seat 31C on booking and no opportunity to change it before boarding. Décor onboard subdued with brown cloth seating and seats very hard. However the cabin is spacious and a 2-4-2 layout gives a fair amount of room. Although a shorter flight than usual for this aircraft full IFE was working with a reasonable selection of movies and TV shows available, although this was switched off 15 minutes before landing for some reason. All shorter flights no longer offer even a complimentary drink, never mind a snack. Carriers like this need to realise customers book with them, rather than LCC's, for slightly more room and better service and as this is now lacking why do they still charge far higher prices? I have one more flight booked with an IAG company this year and it will be my last.
RouteMadrid to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"only one of our two cases turned up"

Verified Review | Manchester to Santiago de Chile via Madrid. Computer problems cause significant problems for us. Could not check in on line on 3 February and when we arrived at check in at Manchester the computer was still down. Took 35 mins to check in and although our luggage was checked through, there was no allocation of the seats from Madrid to Santiago. In Madrid we were allocated the last two seats on the plane. Not good. I ended next to an obese lady, not pleasant for an hour during waiting and take off. Fortunately she was relocated after take off. The flight and food were okay. I had a lovely chicken dish and the service was prompt which is really good for an overnight flight. Managed plenty of sleep. On arrival only one of our two cases turned up. It took nearly 90 minutes at the desk to register a delayed case, not what you need after a 13h flight. The case was delivered 27h later, but there was no offer of anything to help us during this period when we were without toiletries and a chane of underwear.
RouteManchester to Santiago via Madrid