Iberia

"legroom was extremely tight"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Booked a return ticket from Vienna to Madrid (flew on the 2nd Sept. and returned on the 6th September 2017). This was my first and probably the last time I flew with Iberia. It is such an embarrassment for a premium airline to actually not providing any drinks, even more snack without charging the passengers for flights below 6 hours. The flight took about 3 hours of duration and I was extremely shocked to find out that their policy is like budget airlines who will charge you for refreshment onboard the flight. It's absolutely cruel, at least they could have served drinks free of charge. The ticket price is of other premium airlines and I would expect them to have a certain standards in terms of service onboard. The seats were uncomfortable plus the legroom was extremely tight and you could hardly move your legs at all. Please avoid this airlines at any cost. I would highly advise not to fly with this airline.
RouteVienna to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"just another way of making extra money"

Verified Review | I always fly with Iberia when ever I am traveling to Melilla from Malaga. I was made to pay extra 60 euros to change the name that I always use as per normal. I showed my passport with my photograph as a proof of ID. I filled my details as normal online but that was not good enough. Apparently I used my surname first. This is just another way of making extra money of the customers who have already paid top price for very little value. Extremely disappointed with the service.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMalaga to Melilla
Date FlownJuly 2017

"gate staff refused to do anything"

Verified Review | London to Valencia return via Madrid (out in economy, return in business), return with minimum connection time (1 hour). LHR-MAD flight was mediocre and the attitude of the crew left a lot to be desired, particularly their attitude to safety. MAD-VLC was delayed by 30 minutes with no information given (at one point, gate stuff packed up and left) which meant we arrived too late for our car hire. Inbound VLC-MAD flight was delayed due to weather, and later air traffic control. When enquiring about our connection, the gate staff at VLC refused to do anything and informed that everything had to be done in Madrid. We called the helpline and were told that nothing can be done to rebook onto a later flight either. VLC-MAD in Business Class had no service, the seat-belt sign was left switched on for the whole flight. With the seats on the CRJ 1000 being the same as economy there was no point paying extra. Upon landing in Madrid, nobody was there to meet our flight. We approached the customer service agent in the T4S lounge and were told they could find no seat for us (economy or business) until the next day. We found seats on Iberia Express but the agents maintained that they could see no availability. We then had no choice but to pay for the seats on Iberia Express in cash just to come home that day and throw away our business class Iberia flight home which we had missed. We were told when we called the call centre that the back office would have arranged us a new flight already knowing we'd miss our connection - obviously, this wasn't the case. We made it in time for the MAD-LHR flight, but because assistance was not given upon landin- we did not make it in time to the plane.
RouteLondon to Valencia via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2017

"staff service efficient and polite"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Milan - Madrid - Havana - Madrid - Milan in economy. Their product is OK, Airbus 330-200 brand new and super silent. On board staff service efficient and polite, food quality good but trays are realy too small. Ground handling in LIN was a mess very slow but in HAV very fast from check-in to air side within 2 mins. Connection in Madrid between T4 / T4S was smooth.
RouteMilan to Havana via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not able to seat us next to each other"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Panama City to Hamburg via Madrid. Within three weeks my girlfriend and I experienced that Iberia personel were not able to seat us next to each other on three out of four flights despite us emphasizing this wish during check in. Despite our early check in they would even charge us afterwards to change the seating and told us that it was possible to be seated next to each other if we just paid the charge. Furthermore the service was bad - personel did not seem to care much about the passengers. You have to take a flight for more than 6 hours to get anything to eat or drink (we did not get anything for our three hour flight). For our more than 10 hour flights we barely got enough food due to two small servings. The seats were small and it was difficult to sit next to each other. The entertainment touch screen that did not really to react when touched and the movies were outdated. Would not recommend using Iberia.
RoutePanama City to Hamburg via Madrid

"Worst customer service"

Verified Review | Madrid to London. I fly around 4 times a year to Spain from London and I usually take BA but sometimes Iberia operates BA flights. From my experience they are usually late and try to rush to arrive just on time. On my last trip, we arrived to London to find out that around 10 people were missing the luggage. I had some food in the luggage which went bad but that was the minor issue. I had to take a trip to Mexico 24 hours after this trip and they couldn't locate the bag. They do not have line managers in their phone service so don't try to ask for one. I asked for the phone to contact the courier company who was supposed to take my bag to my house and their reply was "we do not work with phone numbers". They were reading to me literally what I could read on the World tracer website to hurry up and hanging the phone as soon as possible. A really distressful and frustrating experience for holidays. If you can, stay away from Iberia! Worst customer service.
RouteMadrid to London
Date FlownJuly 2017

"got switched to this terrible airline"

Verified Review | This airline was a nightmare. Flew Madrid to Boston. Picked my seats 8 months ahead of time only to get there early and be told I couldn't sit next to my fiance who I had just engaged while overseas. Afterwards they stopped me on my way to the plane and literattly ripped my carry on out of my hand on the gate ramp and demanded it be checked even though a ton of other people were bringing their bags on and mine was small. On the plane there was a lot of overhead space. I had my benadryl for flight help and much more in my carry on that was important. AC was terrible and the plan was hot, amd it was a 7 hour flight. Supposed to be comfortable! I'll never fly this again. My ticket was supposed to be American, got switched to this terrible airline.
RouteMadrid to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not helpful or sympathetic"

Verified Review | Paid $37 extra to pick my seat when I bought my ticket to fly from Miami to Madrid. When I went online to check in for my flight the day prior to the flight, they had changed the plane and my seat no longer existed. When I called customer service, they said I had to pay another $37 and pick a new seat. I was told that when I got back from my trip, to call back and they would refund me for the original seat. I did exactly what they said. The first time I called customer service, they Iberian Representative said he could not find 2 seats, just one, so he could not refund me. I asked to speak to his manager. I was placed on hold for 20 minutes and eventually hung up on. I called back the customer service number later in the day and a women answered. She told me I had to file a claim on the website. I explained to here that I was told we could do this over the phone. She was not helpful or sympathetic. I do not understand that because the airline changed the plane which messed up my seating, why I have to waste my time jumping throw hoops to get my money back. The plane seats are super uncomfortable (9 hour flight) and the food on the plane was pretty awful. So overall - terrible experience.
RouteMiami to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2017

"flights were amended 3 times"

Verified Review | London to Almeria via Madrid. My flights were amended 3 times before my trip. I resorted to changing my return flight from Almeria to Madrid because of the final time change. I also then had to change my ongoing train from the UK airport to home because of the time factor. When I arrived at Heathrow, the BA check-in assistant said there was not enough time between my Heathrow to Madrid and Madrid to Almeria flights for my luggage to be transferred. She said Iberia are always doing this. Her superior told her that the luggage could only be booked to Madrid and that I would have to sort the problem out there. Iberia do not have a desk at Heathrow. The assistant printed out boarding cards for both outgoing flights. I would have to collect my luggage at Madrid and check it in again. At the boarding gate an assistant checked my details and insisted that I’d booked the flights separately. I disagreed. I later checked this online: I had one booking reference; therefore I had not booked them separately. Iberia never acknowledged this. I spoke to a flight attendant on-board. He said this had not happened before. He said that the assistant at check-in should have booked my luggage to go all the way to Almeria. He said ‘BA are always doing this’, contradicting his earlier comment. A Heathrow member of staff said she would make a note of what had happened. On landing at Madrid, I ran to Enquiries to be told to go straight to the gate and make a claim for the luggage at Almeria. No one had told me this previously. I am 61 years old and had to run the length of the airport to board my plane by the skin of my teeth. On arriving at Almeria, I made my claim. Again I was told my luggage should have been booked right through! I eventually got my luggage the next evening. In a reply to my email to Iberia, they asked for various details as if I was making a claim for 'lost' luggage. Iberia also gave me some platitudes regarding airport policies on change of flight times. They had misunderstood some of the main points of my email: to make Iberia aware of the complete shambles of booking my flights, particularly with not enough time allocated between connecting flights and little or no coordination with BA, whom I dealt with during check in at Heathrow. In their last email to me, Iberia said 'As long as you have confirmed connecting tickets which comply with the minimum times we can usually offer you the possibility of getting your boarding cards and checking in your luggage through to the final destination'. When I booked the tickets for my flight, I expected Iberia to confirm 'connecting tickets which comply with the minimum times'. They indicated that the onus was on me. I strongly disagree. In fact, I spoke at length with BA Customer Services who said that if I tried to book a flight online with them, their website would not permit such a booking with such a short connecting time between flights! I feel that they tried to fob me off by deflecting my criticisms and complaints. I do not intend to fly with this company again.
RouteLondon to Almeria via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"service onboard was perfect"

Verified Review | Madrid to New York JFK. Iberia is doing a real good job on the business user. Check at Madrid was very fast. Fast track in less than a minute. Lounge is great. The only issue, still don't know how to deal with the boarding. People around the gate, it's a bit messy. Once on board, FA's are better than ever, serving with a smile, and around all flight. Really comfy seats, all with direct aisle access. Pre-drinks served, bar was great, and food very tasty and with a mediterranean look. IFE very efficient, and overall experience of the service onboard was perfect. On time departure/arrival, and I was on a cab 20 min short after my arrival at JFK, impressive.
AircraftA340-600