Iberia

"our tickets have been canceled"

Trip Verified | Boston to Barcelona via Madrid. We took a flight from Boston to Madrid on 6/7/2018. Our flight was approximately 20-30 minutes late to leave from Boston. Our suggested layover from Madrid to Barcelona was approximately 1 hour. This hour layover is the flight route they suggest online while booking, we booked a round trip back to Boston on 6/18. Due to the long customs line and security over 20% of the passengers missed their next flight, we ran (not walked) through the airport. By the time we made it to the gate the airplane was closed, we and 25+ people missed the flight. My husband and I had reservations in Barcelona later that day with a prepaid group. We called Iberia to request another flight, they couldn’t guarantee us to be on a flight until the next day, it is 8:00 am at this time. The customer service rep we spoke to suggested we book a flight on Vueling, their partner airline. We did this for $300 without complaint, while not being refunded for the flight from Madrid to Barcelona. The flight to Madrid is an hour and a half. Fast forward to 6/17, we are checking in for our flight from Granada to Barcelona. We are informed at the gate that our tickets have been canceled and we will not be receiving a refund because we missed our flight from Madrid to Barcelona 9 days prior. Now we had to go book with another airline, in another country. We had to pay double the price we should have, still without a refund.
RouteBoston to Barcelona via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"missed the connecting flight"

Trip Verified | Boston to San Sebastian via Madrid. We as family flown out of Boston to go to a wedding in San Sebastian. We were supposed to have more than 1.5 hours time in Madrid for our connection. Plane was delayed by almost an hour in Boston. I had asked the ticket agency and they had said not to worry they will put us on the next flight. When we arrived in Madrid, we still had about an hour. The customs lines were long and we asked Iberia for help, they said get back to the line. Needless to us we missed the connecting flight. When we went to the agent to book the next flight, they asked us to pay - we had to ask for a supervisor to clear that it was their fault for delaying. On the next flight they could only take two people from our party with the suitcase. They didn't take the suitcase. They put us on priority waitlist for the next flight. Needless to say they assigned us to an 8 o'clock flight. Once we were boarding, they took us off and said the flight was cancelled. We ended up in a hotel to fly out the next morning and missed the first part of wedding and one night of the hotel which was prepaid. The luggage still didn't come with us. It was delivered two days after the wedding. The staff at Iberia were rude and untruthful. Every time I complained, they asked me to fill out a complaint form.
RouteBoston to San Sebastian via Madrid

"recommend Premium Economy"

Trip Verified | Santiago de Compostela to New York via Madrid. Flew from Santiago de Compostela on Iberia Express to Madrid yesterday to connect to our Iberia flight to New York. I can see why Iberia Express gets its 'most punctual airline' reputation. Boarding was swift, very organized and we departed about 5mins ahead of schedule. On board, sadly there wasn't much to say except the legroom was very tight and even a coffee had to be paid for. The crew seemed pleasant and helpful. I was however, not able to connect to the advertised free streaming entertainment at all. Not a huge deal breaker as it was a short flight. I had decided to take up an email offer to upgrade my next sector to New York and was so glad I did. Having priority boarding as a part of it was a huge plus on this maxed out A340-600. I loved the Premium Economy seat with the extra recline and legroom was great. It's a fresh, relatively small, more private cabin than the wild expanse of regular economy. The larger, responsive, IFE screen worked well and had just enough options to keep me occupied for 7 hours. The very slightly upgraded meal (main served in a china dish) was fairly decent thought it took quite a while after take off before it was served. There was no bar service before this. The crew were warm and pleasant though and seemed to be constantly working. We sat in row 15 which is only slightly ahead of the galley, so could hear everything and the light from the galley was distracting at times. The pre-arrival snack of a boxed sandwich was fine and we arrived only slightly late into JFK. All in all, I'd recommend Iberia's Premium Economy if you do get an email offer to upgrade. Very comfortable seat, more personalized service and priority boarding made the decision easy for me.
AircraftA340-600 / A320
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSantiago de Compostela to New York via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"friendly, efficient and competent"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Quito to Madrid. The aircraft was clean and modern. The main course of the dinner was dry and the bread was stale, but the red wine was good, plus we were given real cutlery and not plastic. I would have preferred them to come around with more drinks—I think they only came through once. The breakfast was good but everything was sweet, no savoury option. Flight attendants were friendly, efficient and competent. My biggest complaint is that the in-flight entertainment system was broken for the entire 10-hour flight—luckily I had plenty of books but I would have preferred a couple of movies to pass the time. I really think they should have made sure this was working beforehand. To be fair, they did credit me with Avios points when I complained.
RouteQuito to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"flight took off without us"

Trip Verified | Ibiza to Frankfurt via Madrid. Irresponsible madness Journey from Ibiza to Frankfurt, scheduled for 2018-06-01, stopover at Madrid. Flight from Ibiza was cancelled due to "technical reasons" 2 hours after estimated departure. We had to wait 7 hours in a queue afterwards to get new tickets. Iberia staff only assigned 1 employee to handle reticketing. The main counter was not seated at all which lead to major confusion. Iberia finally booked a hotel. The new flight, operated by Vueling was delayed, so we did not reach the Iberia flight to Frankfurt. We arrived on the minute of boarding but Iberia's pilot refused to re-open the door. He stayed at the gate for another 30 minutes and the Iberia flight took off without us. We had to get another new flight with Lufthansa to return to Frankfurt.
RouteIbiza to Frankfurt via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"the flight was very cheap"

Trip Verified | Faro to Frankfurt via Madrid. My first flight was operated by Air Nostrum. There was only small turbulence but they kept the seat belt sign on the whole time so that I had to wait for an hour until I landed and could use the bathroom. The landing was very rough too. Weird that the last time I had a short flight to Madrid, we had turbulence as well. The second flight was delayed for 1,5h and we were not offered any free drinks or any compensation for the 2,5h flight. Now I am waiting with half of the passengers at my destination for at least 30 min. for my luggage. I would give a 4 star because the flight was very cheap, but with the waiting, at 1 am in the morning it just cost me a lot of nerves.
RouteFaro to Frankfurt via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2017

"Our flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Luton to Barcelona. Our flight was cancelled about 36 hours before we were scheduled to depart. We spent hours speaking with them and the booking agent - we unfortunately used a 3rd party booking which made the whole ordeal even more complicated. They refused to put us alternative flights which would fit our travel plans and stranded us in London for 24 hours longer than we expected. The last phone call we had with them, they hung up on us because we were requesting to speak with a supervisor. Completely ridiculous. I will make efforts to not fly Iberia again.
RouteLuton to Barcelona
Date FlownMay 2018

"meals were scarce"

(Uruguay)

Not Verified | The crew were friendly and helpful, and they knew how to deal with a flight full of turbulence, with nervous passengers. However, the services Iberia offers on a 12 hour-long flight are poor in comparison to other airlines of similar cost. The meals were scarce and sporadically delivered, which meant that at 3am we got the cabin lights on as they would serve some snacks, while the majority of the passengers were sleeping. The beverages served are also scarce, which means you have to be constantly standing up and going to the galley to get some drinks. In other long flights I’ve done in economy class, passengers got given amenity kits, whereas in Iberia, we got a blanket, a pillow, and earphones.
RouteMontevideo to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2017

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Miami via Madrid. My husband and I flew Iberia yesterday and had the worst experience ever, at the check in counter in Zurich the lady offered us to fly Swiss if everybody shows up since the fly was oversold. We accepted, but at the end we flew Iberia since the plane was not full, at this point the lead counter person cancelled our assigned double seats by the window (he didn’t mention anything to us and we find out when we got to Madrid) and they gave us the most horrible seats in the middle even dough we got to the airport before anybody else. Not enough with the frustration we haven’t received our luggage yet, they never send the luggage to the plane. We travel at least twice a year on long flies to Europe but definitely will never use Iberia again.
RouteZurich to Miami via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

Iberia customer review

Trip Verified | I flew with my father in a wheelchair in early February from STR to SCQ via MAD with Iberia. The new wheelchair came 3 days after us extremely damaged, so that it was impossible to use this safely. On top of that, the pre-ordered and confirmed at check-in wheelchair assistance neither in MAD nor SCQ worked. To date (after more than 2 months) we have no confirmation if the damage will be reimbursed. In February, I already submitted the required documents (cost estimate from the expert, photos, invoices, etc.) to Iberia. To this day and after X-fold contact attempts, I have just said on the phone I should be patient! My patience is at the end! It's a shame like Iberia deals with people who use wheelchairs.
RouteStuttgart to Santiago de Compostela via Madrid