Iberia

"Iberia is a reliable airline"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Madrid return on A320 and A321. I can recommend Iberia although there are some negative aspects: there are no free drinks and snacks, not even water was free. Check-in at Frankfurt airport took very long, standing in line for 35 minutes and the online check-in did not work (impossible to download boarding pass on my smartphone). And the seating on A320 was very tight, even for me (I’m 170 cm tall). Experience on return flight was much better: Check-in at Madrid airport without waiting and seat pitch on A321 was much better. In general Iberia’s hub is fantastic, Madrid airport is efficient, modern and pleasant. One negative aspect turned into positive: when boarding time of my return flight had begun, the staff told us that the aircraft had technical issues and an equipment change was needed. We went to another gate and finally the delay was only 30 minutes, which is a good result in my opinion. Iberia is a reliable airline and much better than Ryanair with their canceled and delayed flights.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteFrankfurt to Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

"asked to check-in hand luggage"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Porto. We were being asked to check-in our hand luggage or to leave it by the aircraft and pick it up upon arrival (people were approached in an extremely polite manner in MAD, I must say). I find this irritating, as I had one piece of luggage, within the rules. Other people didn't. Those should be asked to do this. Nice crew and otherwise uneventful flight.
RouteMadrid to Porto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"experience was outstanding"

Trip Verified | We flew round trip between Chicago and Madrid in Iberia business. Our experience on both flights was outstanding. Check in was quick and lounges in both cities were excellent with the American Airlines O'Hare lounge being exceptional. Cabin crews on both flights were pleasant and efficient. Iberia's business class seat is comfortable although the aisle seats lack privacy and are subject to bumping by folks passing by. We selected a pair of "honeymoon" seats to avoid those issues. Iberia offered frequent beverage service that included good wines. Only their coffee was lacking (I wondered if they use robusta rather than arabica coffee) Our main meals were some of the best we have ever had in business class. My grilled bream was one of the best fish meals that I have ever enjoyed and equaled fish I ate at quality Spanish restaurants. I've included a picture of my fish entree and the appetizer service which could be a meal by itself. Even the arrival procedures in both cities went quickly and smoothly. We plan on flying Iberia again on an upcoming European trip and appreciate the effort they are making to provide a top notch business class product.
AircraftA330-300
RouteMadrid to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2017

"interior and condition raise eyebrows"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | After several disappointing flights with Iberia, this one hit rock bottom. Iberia's Airbus A330-200's are all less than 2 years old, yet their interior and condition raise eyebrows. I had to store luggage in the compartments behind me as the one above my seat did not open. Very disappointed with how Iberia have changed over the last years. Their Menu has not changed once - yes not a big issue, but if you are a frequent flyer you would like an alternative maybe once in a while. The food was terrible but I don't recall ever having a sound meal on a flight departing from JFK. Iberia should change their catering logistics here as food on inbound flight from Madrid was a 10. Cabin crew did not seem bothered on this flight. The purser of the flight made no effort. Sat in his seat and played on his phone. Hate the idea of everything being recorded now. No announcements done by cabin crew whatsoever anymore, all recorded. Makes it very un-personal and very annoying. Some of these messages go on for minutes. Whoever came up with that idea. Free WIFI voucher did not work. Their seats were OK and that is pretty much it. Apart from that no chance. What a shame Iberia!
AircraftA330-200
RouteNew York to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Stay away from this company"

(Slovenia)

Verified Review | We booked a return flight from Barcelona to Punta Cana for 3 people with Iberia. While making a booking, Iberia was shown as the carrier all the time. Since I have flown Iberia multiple times I am confident booking their flights as I know 1pcs hold baggage is always included in the fare and they have one of the best meals. Upon checking in (also done on Iberia website) we got a boarding passes marked as LEVEL airline (never heard of it before) with a huge mark no baggage. So we had to purchase additional baggage for 3 people, but we were not aware that there is also no meals included on a 10hr flight! Looked at an electronic ticket from Iberia and it clearly marked meal included (as Nr 3, No preference). Check-in agent was very attentive and said he can try to do whatever but that he has tons of cases like that where people are deceived into flying with Iberia but then they put them on a Level flight, with no luggage and meals! He said it happens every day! As meals were clearly marked on the ticket we kindly asked if we can talk to Iberia customer service regarding this. And that is when we were outraged by their customer service. He looked into the system and just waved at us that there is nothing he can do. When presenting their ticket with meals clearly marked for both flights and the inbound flight even stating “operated by Iberia”, he said that is a mistake on the ticket (their ticket!) and there is nothing he can do. The LEVEL flight experience was very bad. The plane is cramped, staff very unpolite, no blankets and pillows are offered. Paid 10eur for 40mb of internet, the line was unactive (notified after payment of course), so did not get to use any, threw away money. Stay away from this company at all costs.
RouteBarcelona to Punta Cana
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I was very disappointed"

Verified Review | London to Madrid. Iberia is the national airline of Spain and accordingly one would hope that this airline would attempt to create a positive first image of a nation famed for hospitality and good food and high standards of service. Sadly, this was not the case. On what was a very busy Saturday afternoon at Heathrow, I dropped my bag off at the BA counter shared with Iberia. This was quick and efficient. Boarding was via a rather remote part of the airport and I noted some elderly people struggling with steep stairs to reach the boarding area. As I boarded a flight a male flight attendant coughed in my face twice and made no apology. The crew with one exception were absent during the flight. What alarmed me was the robotic and insincere attempt to have a security talk. I was not impressed. Food had to be purchased and was not of a good quality at all. I was very disappointed. The aircraft was however clean and the seats comfortable. The captain only made one announcement at the end of the flight. Disembarkation was orderly. In view of the cost of the flight, I was rather disappointed.
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"better if they didn't serve any meal"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Barcelona to Madrid in domestic business class. The business class service was shockingly bad on this 1 hr 15 min flight, no real attention from the crew and it would have been better if they didn't serve any meal, rather than the poor quality cheese sandwich. First time I have seen that the business class passengers actually have a chance to upgrade their meal to buy onboard option. Buy onboard menu cards were available in Business.
RouteBarcelona to Madrid

"disappointing vegetarian catering"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Havana to Madrid. Decent cabin interior, very poor on board entertainment. I would recommend bringing your own iPad and noise cancelling head set (luckily I did), disappointing catering. If you choose the standard meal you may survive. Choosing vegetarian meal was something that I ended up far worse than I have experienced in economy class.
RouteHavana to Madrid

"very bad service"

Verified Review | Zurich to Quito via Madrid. Very disappointed with Iberia. I arrived 07.11.2017 at Quito, while my suitcase did not make it. Iberia promised to deliver my suitcase by 09.11.2017. When I called they told me that the suitcase was just arriving and they could not deliver it until 10.11.2017. Today in the morning I got a call from Iberia, that my suitcase will be delivered today. However, my suitcase still did not get delivered and when I call Iberia nobody would pick up the phone. I am here in Ecuador on vacation and have already lost several days waiting for my suitcase with my clothes and other important stuff in it, and Iberia does not even answer my calls. This is very bad service. I would not recommend to fly with Iberia.
RouteZurich to Quito via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"couldn't rebook me to a different flight"

Verified Review | Iberia informed me by email that my flight was cancelled one week before my flight. When I called them, they couldn't rebook me to a different flight whether it's on Oct 31 or a day before or after. They just said I'm being refunded end of story. I had to spend more money for tickets for me and my wife not to mention the stress we had to go through. It's hard to communicate with anybody to seek redress since they have no offices in Madrid nor do they have any assistance by phone or online. Don't the carriers or the airline industry have any mechanism where ordinary passengers like us will be protected from this situation or at least be provided with some form of restitution or st least an apology or explanation for subjecting us to circumstances beyond our control and getting away with it.
RouteBiarritz to Madrid