HK Express

"anxiety caused, time wasted"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Kansai. When my payment appeared not to have gone through and I received no acknowledgement of my booking, I asked HKE if I should rebook. They told me I should but, after booking again (at a higher cost) I discovered they had already taken the money for the first flight. They accepted that they had failed to confirm the first flight and agreed to refund the money but it took a great many emails and involved a huge amount of time. I even had to battle with them over the insurance I had taken; even though I paid them for it, they tried to claim they couldn't refund it because it was paid on to another company. They also seemed to think it reasonable to refund less than was taken because the exchange rate was different. Any reputable airline would have refunded the higher amount I paid for the second tickets and sent a proper apology for all the anxiety caused and time wasted. There is no complaints procedure. If you ask them via "chat" how to complain, they send you the email address of Customer Services about whom I wished to make the complaint. The general impression I got was that they will try as hard as they can to not refund you and will only do so if you are extremely tenacious and decide that it is worth spending the time pursuing them for the principle of the matter. Nothing on earth would induce me to use HKE again. It may be fine when everything goes according to plan but, if something goes wrong and you need to seek redress, prepare yourself for a very, very long ride.
RouteHong Kong to Kansai
Date FlownOctober 2017

"seats were comfortable"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Phuket to Hong Kong. The seats were comfortable for a 3 hour flight but aircraft was cold and toilets dirty. No blankets available for the amount of money I paid. Crew was very unhelpful and unfriendly compared to Thai Air Asia staff.
RoutePhuket to Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2017

"manager refused to help"

Verified Review | Siem Reap to Hong Kong. The online registering of baggage would not work for me for some reason, and I believe despite what the site says you will be charged $6 whether or not you select a seat. I did not select one and was charged, my friend selected one but was assigned a new one at check-in. I was told by customer service they would make sure I paid the online price at check-in because the site was not working. At check-in the manager refused to help. My baggage was refused. I ended up putting it inside of my friends who was suppose to have the same deal as promised by customer service. He instead had to pay twice the online price.
RouteSiem Reap to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"The seat is comfortable"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Nagoya to Hong Kong. I bought this ticket with a low price during the mega sale. The flight I took was delayed by about 1 hour due to the late arrival, yet the flight managed to land on Hong Kong with 30-minute delay provided that the weather in Hong Kong was bad. The cabin crews are kind and friendly. The seat is comfortable in terms of LCC. The inflight magazine also provides much information about the tourist spots.
AircraftA320Neo
RouteNagoya to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2017

"staff are friendly and kind"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Jeju. This is a red-eye flight and I slept for nearly the whole flight. The seat is comfortable enough to sleep and the lights are turned dimmer. The flight arrived earlier than the scheduled time. The staff are friendly and kind. However, the food and beverages are quite costly so I didn't try. The online-check in is smooth and user-friendly.
RouteHong Kong to Jeju
Date FlownAugust 2017

"my flight was cancelled"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Tokyo Narita. Unfortunately, typhoon HATO and my flight was cancelled. I got an email 14h before departures announcing the cancellation of the flight. 3 options were proposed: Same destination in the next 3 days with possibly no fare difference applied, Other destination in the next 7 days, fare difference to my charge or Full reimbursement. But no indication on how to do the changes except to email them or use the chat for more informations. The search engine, the chat and the phone line were down during most of the day. The community manager answered me on Facebook 22h after my first contact. I had my first successful contact on the phone with HK express 20h later. And everything was already booked. The customer service did nothing to provide a solution. In the end I had to book through another airline, for 5 times the original price 3 days later.
RouteHong Kong to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seat is spacious compared to my expectations"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Flew HK Express from Hong Kong to Chiang Mai. There are occasional delays on this route of up to 4 hours, yet I was fortunate enough to board a punctual flight. The seat is spacious compared to my expectations, while the service of the cabin crew was also good. The flight went through few slight turbulence and the flight purser made announcements every time. The price was reasonable as I bought it in the sales. Online check in is clear and convenient as well.
RouteHong Kong to Chiang Mai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I am disappointed"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Phuket return. Both outbound flights were re-timed about 3 weeks prior to departure. That's okay. My returning flight was delayed from 0135 to 1020 due to weather. They did send email 3 hours prior to flight time to inform. So such delay (more than 8 hours) can be claimed for travel insurance so I asked for written proof via email afterward. The customer service gave me the proof for re-time but not the delay. After a few email chase they still could not produce a correct one. I am disappointed.
RouteHong Kong to Phuket
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Incompetent and irresponsible"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Jeju. Incompetent and irresponsible. Considering it's low cost flight, I wouldn't bother complaining other things (uncomfortable seats, food etc), but when there was a 6 hour overnight delay, the staff were handing out cheap restaurant vouchers. When I complained about the delay with no appropriate compensation, they emailed me the voucher that could be only used with HKD payment upon next purchase. I then found out there was no way to book with HKD payment on their website, so emailed about it again. Basically they have been emailing me once a week saying "We will forward your email to the relevant department", so I got sick of it, went on to have a chat with a customer service, and then got another "Please send your email and I will forward your email". This is a frustrating nightmare in an infinite loop, and they have no interest in helping you.
RouteHong Kong to Jeju
Date FlownJune 2017

"service was excellent"

Verified Review | Flew from Hong Kong to Nagoya, Japan for holiday, during winter times in January. The service was excellent. There were no delay what-so-ever. Although I did not pay to choose the seats. But I asked the staff at the check-in counter if I could have a aisle seat, and I did! The flight took off on time and landed on time as well. I did not order any food on the flight because it is a short haul flight - 3hr flight. I would definitely refer to everyone to take this airline.
AircraftAirbus A320-214