Top 100 Airports

HK Express

"couldn't have handled it worse"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I had my first trip on this LCC from Hong Kong to Tokyo Narita, and was generally happy with the experience. No online check in so we lined up to check in baggage but that was expected. The flight itself was OK, I had hoped they would dim the lights for longer given there was nothing to do but sleep. The return journey is where the drama occurred, and the airline couldn't have handled it worse. Flight was scheduled to depart at 19.30, there were strong winds at NRT that day, and when I arrived at the counter at around 17.00, they were not checking passengers in and the airport was making announcements that flights were halted due to strong winds. Without going into too much detail, at around 19.00, from flightradar24, I found that the inbound aircraft of my flight landed, only to be kept waiting at the counter, with ground staff telling us due to weather conditions the plane could not land etc. Some time later it was apparent that this aircraft was used for the earlier 16.20 flight. We were only told at after 20.30 that our flight was delayed until 09.30 the next day due to weather. The airline handed out 1000yen cash, sleeping bag, and an offer that if we booked a hotel, the airline would reimburse max USD100. They knew there would be no aircraft for us, yet they kept us waiting. They just kept saying it was weather. All other flights departed that night. The flight eventually was further delayed and took off at after 10.30, without telling us about the additional 1 hour delay. I had a glimpse of hope that in spite of the delay, we might get a free snack or a free drink on board? I was starving. However no, we were told outside food was not allowed and we needed to buy food. Arriving in HKG, ground staff handed out delay certificates but when passengers asked about compensation or anything else, they declared they were simply the agent, they were not HK Express staff. I have not received a single word of feedback.
RouteNRT to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"seems lax on punctuality"

Verified Review | Flight from Hong Kong was delayed from 5 till 9pm, which mean I arrived in Seoul at 12midnight. This meant no trains, so I had to take a expensive taxi to town. No compensation. The return flight was also bit delayed, airline seems lax on punctuality.
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownMarch 2016

"flight was overbooked"

(Hong Kong)

I was supposed to take the 6.55am flight from Hong Kong to Seoul. Arrived at the airport at 5.45am, but was told at the check in to leave behind a telephone number and to come back in 5min. 5mins later the lady at the check in told me that the flight was overbooked and that she would need to reschedule me at the 5pm flight. As such I would miss a full day of my trip. Only explanation given was that the plane changed to a smaller one. Compensation was HKD1645, which far from compensates for the time lost.
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"looked and felt cramped"

Check in at Tokyo Narita was efficient with HK Express. There was a delay in the flight, hence, we arrived in Hong Kong late. The seating was on a 3-3 configuration. Like any other low cost carrier, it looked and felt cramped, but, the pitch was acceptable. The meals were okay. The cabin crew looked tired but they tried their best to look after us. There were turbulences along the way but nothing major. Overall, HK Express is okay, nothing bad, nothing great.
RouteNRT to HKG
Date FlownDecember 2015

"my experience was great"

(Hong Kong)

My experience with HK Express was great. I purchased a very cheap ticket and added hot seat plus hot meal. I was entitled to use their priority check in which was a godsend. Check in took a few minutes with no fuss. Onboard service was on par with any regular airlines. The seating is 3x3 with acceptable seat pitch. No entertainment so bring your own. Food was served immediately after take off. My pre ordered hot meal was delivered with a smile plus a free bottle of water. The quantity is small, but the taste was actually quite good. The pilot was from Australia and the high standard and safety is very reassuring. 2:40 hours passed by quickly and we landed in Chiang Mai perfectly on time.
RouteHong Kong to Chiang Mai
Date FlownNovember 2015

(Hong Kong)

I took the flight from Hong Kong to Chiang Mai which was supposed to depart at 17.05. However no boarding announcement was made at all and by 17.30 the land crew told us that the flight might depart late and asked us to return by 18.15. Passengers left the queue and returned as told and at approximately 7pm they told us to wait until 19.30. Eventually at 20.30 they told us to wait for another announcement which would tell us whether we could fly or not. There was no offer of water or biscuits or any sort of remedial gestures at all. Finally at 9pm we were told that the flight was ready and we were sent to the plane. We had to wait for another 90 minutes onboard before we could take off. Plane left Hong Kong International Airport at 11pm. Unfortunately that was not the end of the story. The flight attendants sold food and drinks on the plane. As we were all very tired and hungry passengers almost all of us had to buy food from them. My friend and I sat in the middle of the plane and when the trolley passed by us and we just humbly wanted to buy 2 cup noodles the flight attendants said they were out of stock! One point to note is that both the land crew and the cabin crew were very helpful.

(Hong Kong)

The HK Express website is easy to use. My flight was from Hong Kong (HKG) to Osaka (KIX). The check-in process with my baggage was pretty straightforward and without problem. The flight was overall quite clean and it departed on time. There is no food/beverage/water everything needs to be bought if you want to eat/drink. But that's okay if it's a short flight. The returning flight was just as simple and easy. There was staff at KIX to help with the check-in and baggage. Flight was also on time overall a smooth and problem free process. The baggage came out pretty quickly on both my flights not too long of a wait. I would definitely recommend this airline for flights around Asia.

(Hong Kong)

I've done the HKG-HND round-trip on HK Express four times in the last 3 months. I always take UO622 dep HKG 7.10 to go to Japan and UO623 dep HND 1.10am coming back. I used to fly CX to HND but prices have really gone up over the past year. Overall I'd give 3 out of 5 stars for my experience. Prices are of course much cheaper than CX and I appreciate that. 2) Flight attendants are professional courteous and the service is good (not that there are many opportunities to get "served" since HKE doesn't offer complementary beverage/food service nor does it offer inflight entertainment). 3) The HKG-HND-HKG flights I've taken have always been on time. 4) Flight times are much more convenient than the CX flights. However 1) Seats are uncomfortable - it's an LCC after all! This doesn't really bother me for the inbound flight which is 3.5 hours but I do end up feeling exhausted after the outbound which is a 4.5 hour redeye. I find the "sweet seats" located in the exit aisles a really bad deal - you get the (slightly) extra leg room but your seat has zero recline. 2) Baggage fees: I've noticed that more recently they've started to enforce their baggage rules much more strictly. Hand baggage may not be more than 7.7kg. If you don't sign up for checked in baggage in advance (online when you buy your ticket) you will be charged an arm and a leg at the airport. This happened to me during my last trip and wouldn't have bothered me (rules are rules after all and these fees are part of the LCC business model) had it not taken 1 hour to receive my bags at Hong Kong airport. 3) Long wait for baggage - This last point is apparently an every day occurrence with HKE at least at Hong Kong airport. They are working with a small staff and small planes so your bags will routinely take an hour or so to arrive at Hong Kong airport baggage claim. This is needless to say frustrating though not the biggest deal in the case of UO623 since you have to kill an hour or so after the flight lands anyway (the first Airport Express to Hong Kong station doesn't leave until 5.54am and UO623 lands at around 4.40am). 4) No mileage programme. All in all I will still use Hong Kong Express but due to some of the negative points I listed above only if the price differential between CX and UO is significant enough to be worth it.

(South Korea)

3 flights in the last month (ICN-HKG HKG-CNX HKG-PUS). All arrived either on-time or early. Contract check-in staff at all airports but check in was quick and efficient. Staff were friendly and helpful. You'll likely be on a shuttle bus at some point if you're flying them at HKG. Would love it if they added a check-in lane for those without checked baggage. Expensive food and drink options on board so eat before you go. Pilots were informative and professional. Highly recommended for those on a budget!

HK Express customer review

We recently flew HKG to Penang direct. The flight was on time leaving and was faultless on the 4 hr flight. The seats are fixed up right with no recline option on any seats. We bought the extra legroom option & were glad we did. Considering the tickets were half the same Dragon air flight and landed only 10 minutes apart this is a no brainer. "I'll be back".