Airline of the Year

HK Express

"service was excellent"

Verified Review | Flew from Hong Kong to Nagoya, Japan for holiday, during winter times in January. The service was excellent. There were no delay what-so-ever. Although I did not pay to choose the seats. But I asked the staff at the check-in counter if I could have a aisle seat, and I did! The flight took off on time and landed on time as well. I did not order any food on the flight because it is a short haul flight - 3hr flight. I would definitely refer to everyone to take this airline.
AircraftAirbus A320-214
RouteHKG to NGO
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"seats small and uncomfortable"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Nha Trang to Hong Kong with HK Express. Low class and basic service. The airline mucked up my online seat reservations for my wife, I and 3 year old son. I had to pay an extra US$30 at the airport to sit with my family. Staff at the airport not helpful at all. The airline kept changing the flight times which is a bit of a nuisance. I booked seats in row 1 thinking we would be off first. Forget it. Although we were in row 1 our bags were placed in lockers up to 4 rows back and staff didn't let us retrieve those before the mob stampeded towards the exit. It was chaos and traumatic as I got shoved all over the place trying to retrieve my baggage,. Nightmare. HK Express staff just shrugged their shoulders. Food is disgusting not fit for pigs. Nicely packaged but it's rubbish. Seats extremely small and uncomfortable.
RouteCXR to HKG
Date FlownDecember 2016

"cost of ticket was not low"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Danang to Hong Kong. Very inefficient and slow check in process with apathetic ground staff. As expected, boarding was a mess. Once on board, cabin crew were young but do not look welcoming. Seats were typical low cost carrier seat. Pre-ordered a baked pork chop rice and the portion was pathetic, served lukewarm. When this was made known to the crew when she was passing with the trolley to sell drinks, she snatched the box without an acknowledgement. Thinking that she would reheat it, she moved on with her trolley and did not come back for another 20 mins and put the box on the table without a word. Flight was 30 minutes late leaving and 30 minutes late arriving at the remote terminal in Hong Kong. Despite a long train ride back to the main terminal, bags took a further 40 minutes to reach the carousel. This is certainly a one time experience never to repeat again. The cost of the ticket was not low either.
RouteDAD to HKG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"last time I will fly HK Express"

Verified Review | Kunming to Tokyo Narita via Hong Kong. I have flown with this airline five times; every time the flight has been delayed by at least 30 minutes, usually one hour. This time our flight was cancelled due to plane malfunction. Staff kept us on the plane for five hours. Aircon wasn't working so the plane was hot and uncomfortable, but we were not allowed to leave. Staff refused to give us water, saying we had to order drinks from their onboard menu. Once we were finally off the plane, staff refused to give passengers their luggage, or confirm that we would be flying that day, only saying that we would have an update sometime after 3pm (flight originally scheduled for 7:30am). I missed my connecting flight in HKG (also with HK express), yet they refused to put me on the evening flight to Tokyo, even though there were spare seats, because their evening flight was flying into a different airport. Finally, we left Kunming at 5pm, arrived in HKG around 10 hours late and had to wait until the following morning for a connecting flight. Staff refused to refund anything, give food or water or pay supplement for hotel. Point taken; this is last time I will fly HK Express.
RouteKMG to NRT via HKG
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"did not handle a bad situation well"

Verified Review | Siem Reap to Incheon via Hong Kong. HK Express did not handle a bad situation well, it was major delays due to a typhoon. I was flying from Siem Reap to Incheon, with a 5 hour layover in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, there was a typhoon in Hong Kong. Everything was delayed, not the the airlines fault. However, their handling of the situation was the worst I could imagine. Passengers were sent an email at 4am to let them know there would be a delay and the flight would leave at 3:40pm, however I did not know until after arriving at the airport. HK Express representatives were not at the airport in the morning and the airport did not know of the delay. We were checked in by other staff. Representatives arrived to the airport and arrived to our gate around noon. They handed out meal vouchers, but didn't discuss the flight with passengers. When I asked to rebook my flight from Hong Kong to Korea, they told me that it was probably already done. The meal the company gave for those of us waiting was incomplete. And with further delays, the flight did not leave until 8:50pm. In Hong Kong I was met by staff off the plane and taken to a place where I could rebook my flight. This was with the help of cabin service staff, who were the redeeming quality of the trip despite having no ability to solve any of the problems. The booking had not been made. I was told that if I wanted a flight before 5:15pm the next day (it was about midnight), I would have to call the company. While waiting on the phone, I was pushed to accept the night flight. Finally, I did so after no one answered the phone. Before booking, the airline staff member left me in the airport. He said two women at the counter would come get me after everything was complete. After three hours I went to the counter as they had not talked to me. They informed me that, although the booking was not complete it was better for me to leave the airport and come back later. I refused without flight confirmation and they called the airline. Apparently the booking had been completed and they were simply unaware. There was no compensation for hotels or meals. The 5:15 flight was delayed until after 8:00pm. These were rolling delays which were continually pushed back. The staff in both Hong Kong and Siem Reap were rude and refused to answer questions. I was repeatedly told to wait and no answer came until I demanded one. Understandably, the airline can do nothing about the major holdups at the airport due to the typhoon, however their policies to deal with these emergencies was poor.
RouteREP to ICN via HKG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"couldn't have handled it worse"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I had my first trip on this LCC from Hong Kong to Tokyo Narita, and was generally happy with the experience. No online check in so we lined up to check in baggage but that was expected. The flight itself was OK, I had hoped they would dim the lights for longer given there was nothing to do but sleep. The return journey is where the drama occurred, and the airline couldn't have handled it worse. Flight was scheduled to depart at 19.30, there were strong winds at NRT that day, and when I arrived at the counter at around 17.00, they were not checking passengers in and the airport was making announcements that flights were halted due to strong winds. Without going into too much detail, at around 19.00, from flightradar24, I found that the inbound aircraft of my flight landed, only to be kept waiting at the counter, with ground staff telling us due to weather conditions the plane could not land etc. Some time later it was apparent that this aircraft was used for the earlier 16.20 flight. We were only told at after 20.30 that our flight was delayed until 09.30 the next day due to weather. The airline handed out 1000yen cash, sleeping bag, and an offer that if we booked a hotel, the airline would reimburse max USD100. They knew there would be no aircraft for us, yet they kept us waiting. They just kept saying it was weather. All other flights departed that night. The flight eventually was further delayed and took off at after 10.30, without telling us about the additional 1 hour delay. I had a glimpse of hope that in spite of the delay, we might get a free snack or a free drink on board? I was starving. However no, we were told outside food was not allowed and we needed to buy food. Arriving in HKG, ground staff handed out delay certificates but when passengers asked about compensation or anything else, they declared they were simply the agent, they were not HK Express staff. I have not received a single word of feedback.
RouteNRT to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"seems lax on punctuality"

Verified Review | Flight from Hong Kong was delayed from 5 till 9pm, which mean I arrived in Seoul at 12midnight. This meant no trains, so I had to take a expensive taxi to town. No compensation. The return flight was also bit delayed, airline seems lax on punctuality.
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownMarch 2016

"flight was overbooked"

(Hong Kong)

I was supposed to take the 6.55am flight from Hong Kong to Seoul. Arrived at the airport at 5.45am, but was told at the check in to leave behind a telephone number and to come back in 5min. 5mins later the lady at the check in told me that the flight was overbooked and that she would need to reschedule me at the 5pm flight. As such I would miss a full day of my trip. Only explanation given was that the plane changed to a smaller one. Compensation was HKD1645, which far from compensates for the time lost.
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"looked and felt cramped"

Check in at Tokyo Narita was efficient with HK Express. There was a delay in the flight, hence, we arrived in Hong Kong late. The seating was on a 3-3 configuration. Like any other low cost carrier, it looked and felt cramped, but, the pitch was acceptable. The meals were okay. The cabin crew looked tired but they tried their best to look after us. There were turbulences along the way but nothing major. Overall, HK Express is okay, nothing bad, nothing great.
RouteNRT to HKG
Date FlownDecember 2015

"my experience was great"

(Hong Kong)

My experience with HK Express was great. I purchased a very cheap ticket and added hot seat plus hot meal. I was entitled to use their priority check in which was a godsend. Check in took a few minutes with no fuss. Onboard service was on par with any regular airlines. The seating is 3x3 with acceptable seat pitch. No entertainment so bring your own. Food was served immediately after take off. My pre ordered hot meal was delivered with a smile plus a free bottle of water. The quantity is small, but the taste was actually quite good. The pilot was from Australia and the high standard and safety is very reassuring. 2:40 hours passed by quickly and we landed in Chiang Mai perfectly on time.
RouteHong Kong to Chiang Mai