Hawaiian Airlines

"we have been delayed for 2 hours"

Trip Verified | Due to fly Hawaiian Airlines from New York JFK to Honolulu. The staff are not nice, we have been delayed for 2 hours and they keep anouncing that we will delayed for 15 minutes. They never update us as to what is happening and we are just standing looking stupid waiting to find out what will happen next. Cabin crew just keep running around getting their breakfast.
RouteNew York JFK to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"a very bad experience"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Brisbane via Honolulu. Was a very bad experience. Honolulu has a very old airport that cannot handle the traffic causing numerous delays and problems getting to the gate and going through security. It took 2.5 hours to check in! One of the worst airports in the US. We were stuck on the taxiway for 45 minutes after landing in HNL due to no gate available. The food was awful and they do not offer options based on dietary needs or a second choice for food. They do not give frequent flyer points or status credits if you booked a sale fare. That was an unpleasant surprise. Plus the planes are very old and cramped. Far less leg room than other airlines.
RouteSan Diego to Brisbane via Honolulu

"Travel with caution"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Sacramento. Travel with extra time on your hands. Three out of four flights coming home from HNL have had delays. Lost something to do with the motor one the first flight. This flight was from Maui to San Jose, California. We were forced us to turn around about an hour out from Hawaii and land at HNL. That caused everyone to spend several hours in a very separated airport terminal. Away from any real food. But we were given snacks and waters! Second flight went fine. Our third flight was delayed over seven hours at the airport. We arrived at 5 am when we should have arrived at 10 pm the night prior. Hawaiian never compensated us for the delay. They have continued to lose our paperwork, strange. Our last flight (fourth), was delayed two hours due to a malfunctioning piece of equipment. Which they fixed and got us underway. I learned the after the first run-in with the Hawaiian staff. You won't win at the airport. They can be rude and dishonest with the best of them. A small riot almost broke out in the airport due to all the passengers be kept in the dark over the "status of repairs". They had pieces of the plane that were the size of a small car laying on the ground with zero maintenance staff anywhere. They even went so far as to bring a standby pilot to sit in the cockpit and act like something was going to happen. Hours went by with no repairs and no answers. That's when it got out of hand, passengers yelling at the staff for answers. They finally were forced to put everyone in a hotel for the night. The next morning we reboarded the repaired plane and another mechanical issue forced us back to the gate. Several people just got up and left the flight. After all that, they still managed to lose our luggage. Still never received compensation for the damaged bag either. They keep losing that paperwork as well. Travel with caution.
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento
Date FlownDecember 2017

"decline in quality and service"

Trip Verified | Portland to Honolulu. I used to love traveling back home to Oahu on Hawaiian Airlines. Key words: "used to". I am not sure when their decline in quality and service happened but it's a real bummer. I had my trip back home planned for over six months. My boyfriend decided to tag along and bought his ticket a month before. Not knowing Hawaiian declined, I boasted how great of an airline it is. I wanted his first trip to Hawaii to start off great and felt confident he'd have a great ride. We arrived to HNL within 15 mins of each other. This was the first time I rode home on United and it was great! I ran over to the Hawaiian terminal with a fresh lei in hand so I could give my bf a proper Hawaiian greeting as he walked out. After giving him his lei I asked how his flight was. "terrible, this was the WORST airline I ever rode on! They had no entertainment on the flight, no complimentary meal and everyone was terribly rude!" I didn't believe him and joked that maybe he got on the wrong plane. On the way back home after a great week on Oahu, his flight was delayed and then delayed again for another two hours after they boarded. I thought for sure his flight was a fluke with Hawaiian. Well, here I am today. Christmas Day 2017. My father called last night to let me know my grandma would be passing. Hawaiian Airlines was the only airline with a seat on the earliest flight out so I booked it knowing I'd be in comfort. Lo and behold, the flight was a half hour delayed because their caterers had trouble getting the food on board. Then they finally board us! Nope. I am sitting here almost two hours later, as they decided to fuel up and de-ice after boarding passengers. Why would any airline make its customers wait on board in cramped chairs when we already have a long flight ahead? So, I decided to bide my time by watching some entertainment. No! I guess my bf wasn't lying all along, there is none! Bad on their part, now my only source of entertainment is to write this (what should be 0) one star review. In addition to their decline in quality, a single bag check used to be free. Now $25. Haven't had my in-flight meal yet but I'm wondering if I'll have to pay premo-prices for the food the caterers probably dropped all over the place when they had a hard time loading it up and delaying the flight. As I'm typing this they just announced another hour delay. Here's to three hours wasted! Let's hope Hawaiian Airline's delays don't make me late from seeing my grandma one last time! Time to sign off. The lady behind me is starting to panic from feeling claustrophobic.
RoutePortland to Honolulu

"don’t use this airline"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Las Vegas. First they changed our flight to leave earlier, with a layover in Honolulu for four hours. And to make it even better they lost our luggage. And they also cannot scan the barcode for our luggage because Hawaiian airlines does not offer that. However they give you a barcode for your luggage when you check your bag, but it doesn’t work. Whatever you do don’t use this airline. The team on the flight make you feel like they don’t even want to assist you. Worst experience ever! It’s 1am in the morning and I am trying to make a claim to find my bag.
RouteHonolulu to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Very slow and unfriendly service"

Trip Verified | Flew Hawaii to Los Angeles. Very slow and unfriendly service from Hawaiian Airlines. They treat customers like products, not people. Service agent at the departing gate did not show up until less than one hour before plane departure. Because Hawaii airport is overflowing with tourists / passengers, the airline doesn’t care how much they annoy people because there will always be demand. Fly with caution.
RouteHawaii to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2017

"crew aggressive and indifferent"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Sydney. Flight from SYD-HNL was reasonable only because they had a great crew who were young, happy and willing to help, the return flight though was the complete opposite, old crew who were aggressive and indifferent to passengers, a real contrast a perhaps Hawaiian need to look at removing staff like these to improve customer experience. Seats were very cramped with very little leg room and the meals were both very small and tasteless (rice was solid like a rock), Hawaiian need to understand they have not only Qantas and Jetstar running this route but Air NZ and Fiji Airways so they can't rely on their name when their product is so poor.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHonolulu to Sydney
Date FlownDecember 2017

"refuse to accept this type of rude behaviour"

Trip Verified | My wife and I have just returned from a US holiday flying from Honolulu to Sydney. During the flight I had to go to the toilet. The toliet was occupied so I attempted to go to the other side of the plane. The male flight attendant was in the galley so rather than disturb him I waited for the toilet to vacate. He then told me rudely to stop "mulling" around that area, so I started to go back to my seat, but then he said the other one was vacant. After using the other toilet I had no way of getting back to the other side of plane so I attempted to go back through the galley but then he critisied me again for going through that area and spoke "rudely" to me (in front of other passengers). I absolutely refuse to accept this type of rude behaviour, to a paying passenger from a flight attendant. The female attendants were not rude but this male attendant needs to have a close look at himself and this behaviour towards passengers. We will never fly Hawaiian Airlines again.
RouteHonolulu to Sydney

"Hawaiian was fantastic"

Trip Verified | Hilo to Honolulu. Hawaiian was fantastic! We made a mistake in our booking and didn't realize that we had scheduled our return flight from the big island out of the wrong airport with united airlines. While united wanted to charge us $4000 to get us home, Hawaiian worked very hard to find a different route home for us even though we hadn't been using their airline!! They even checked our bags all the way to Toronto for free because they wanted to help! I have never had any airline treat me so well! It's just a shame that we can't fly Hawaiian for all of our flights! We are so pleased. Their ticketing agents were amazingly helpful!
RouteHilo to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2017

"airline staff were very curt with us"

Verified Review | Flew Kauai to Los Angeles. I wish I could say Hawaiian was any different from any US-based airline. Customer service is pretty mediocre, bordering on rude at times. Our flight did not include individual TV screens, only shared TV screens that showed things like a Hawaii city council meeting and public access type television programming. The food was inedible - lukewarm breakfast sandwiches with fruit that tasted old. The airline staff were very curt with us. At one point we asked about early boarding because we had a child with us, and the desk agent snapped that it wasn't our turn yet. Okay, that's why we were asking. We had to check in our stroller at the gate and when we arrived at Lihue, it took us 20 minutes to find an airline staff who could tell us where the stroller was. We were told they'd bring it to us, then it turned out to be behind the desk. We flew Hawaiian because we figured it would be better than United, but it's really the same level of bad service just disguised with a lei.
RouteKauai to Los Angeles