Top 100 Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines

"major let down was the food"

Verified Review | Honolulu to Sydney and return Brisbane to Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines. Both flights were on time. The cabin crew was somewhat friendly, seats were comfortable and the entertainment was good (AVOD with dozens of movies). The major let down was the food. The main meal on the HNL-SYD flight, served shortly after take-off and the only option (no choices), consisted of some overly sweet chicken dish and was barely edible. At the end of the flight to SYD we were served 2 sandwiches which tasted ok, certainly better than the first meal. On the overnight return segment BNE-HNL we only got a pack of mystery meat sandwiches which were truly disgusting plus some ok single-choice breakfast before landing. Additional snacks were available on the flights but had to be purchased. Hawaiian Airlines could be a great airline if they just got the food right. I flew on a really cheap ticket so I can't really complain but if I had to pay the regular price I'd rather fly another airline with similar prices.
RouteHNL to SYD
Date FlownMay 2016

"very disappointed with the upgrade"

Verified Review | The upgrade was $75.00 each way to Hawaii with my 79 year old mother for a funeral. Flew from Los Angeles to Honolulu. On the way to Hawaii my mother had to sit on the pillows because the seat was old and had no cushion left in it. We had no water or juice when we boarded. We had plenty of leg space because we were at the front of the upgraded seats in row 11, but the seat was not wider and did not have any extra arm space and did not lay back any further than a regular seat. The food was the same as the regular cabin, it was not upgraded. On the night flight we were given noodles with a red sauce, spinach, mushroom slices and cheese, nothing you would want to eat again. A small salad, and a cookie that was about 2"s long in the shape of a pineapple. On the same plastic tray as economy seats. On the morning flight on the way home was a cheese and egg sandwich that was inedible with some fruit and a chocolate covered macadamia nut. The latest movies you had to pay $7.99 each for, they are free on other upgraded flights with other airlines. I was very disappointed with the upgrade, they should be ashamed to have offered this service.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLAX to HNL
Date FlownMay 2016

"we were less than impressed"

Verified Review | My partner and I decided to fly what Hawaiian Airlines call First Class for a 12 day vacation in Honolulu. Last year we traveled extensively around the world in Business Class with Korean Air and Qantas. Flat beds were the norm, with amazing service, plentiful quality meals and hot snacks, a wide variety of wines and a large entertainment library on both airlines. The only positive with Hawaiian Airlines was the fact that we were able to access the Qantas Business Lounge prior to departure out of Sydney as Qantas is the handling agent for Hawaiian. The Qantas Business Lounge is superb. Now back to Hawaiian Airlines, when we boarded, (seats 1A and 1B), we were less than impressed from the start. The seats were antiquated, with very little space between rows and with no electronic function. There was no locker for our jackets and upon seating we were handed a menu and asked immediately what our selection would be for dinner, not much time to peruse the menu but the selections seemed appetising. When the meals were delivered, on a tray, similar to most airlines economy class they were disappointing, small portions and the hot component on both different choices coming out lukewarm. We were offered red or white wines with no explanation of variety or country of origin. The snacks offered during the flight consisted of a small bag of crisps and a cookie. When I asked for a small bottle of water, I was asked by the Flight Attendant didn't I get one earlier in the flight, when I replied yes but I would like another they reluctantly gave me one. During the flight we discovered that the seats would only recliner a small amount, making the 10 hour journey most uncomfortable. We still encroached the space of the passengers behind us despite the limited pitch. My seat squeaked, and my partners leg rest would not function. Having spent a considerable amount of money, ($7500), on two return tickets we feel totally ripped off. Hawaiian Airlines First/Business Class is similar to most international carriers Economy Class. Do not waste your money on such an inferior product.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSYD to HNL and return

"excellent, friendly service"

A long flight from New York JFK to Honolulu made less tedious by excellent, friendly service. Regular cabin offers of water, very important on such a long flight and with a smile. The "extra comfort" seat is not really premium economy, but offers extra legroom; that and power is really the only benefit. Three criticisms: Hawaiian makes much of the fact that it's the only US airline still offering comp food, true, but not great quality. The seat-belt sign was turned on at the slightest bump, then left on way, way after any turbulence was way behind us. Cockpit crew need reminding to turn off the sign. Excellent selection of classics and new movies, TV etc on the IFE, but touch screen not responsive (no other controller) and in-flight earphones a rip-off. Hawaiian should make it clearer that pax should bring their own.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteJFK to HNL
Date FlownMarch 2016

"dismayed by the poor service"

Honolulu to Kona. Check-in lines out the door, delayed baggage twice during our 3 days break and they won't take responsibility when they have done the wrong thing! We were recently dismayed by the poor service of Hawaiian Airlines during inter-island flights which we had booked as first class passengers. On the first from Honolulu to Kona we arrived from a flight from Australia and proceeded directly to the domestic flights area, queuing in the astonishing line for first class more than 20mins before it closed. I've never experienced a premium class service that had a queue as long with just two staff. When we arrived at the front of the queue there was still 10mins before closing time but one of the women serving walked away and a man came to take over and had to log in etc. This process took all the time remaining and not once did he look up and ask when our flight was. I regret not being more assertive at that point as the service was dismal. We then took our bags to the bag area and proceeded directly to the gate where we were told we shouldn't have been checked in and that our seats had been given away so we were now to be separated in economy seats. Not the end of the world, but laughable given the massive premium we had paid for first class tickets and not ideal given one of our companions was heavily pregnant and wanted to stay close to her husband. When we arrived on Kona we waited nearly 30minutes at the baggage carousel and after not seeing our bags, we enquired at the desk. Again we were told that because we were late (we were not, Hawaiian Airlines have a staff drought and inefficient processes) our bags weren't carried on the flight and so were arrived in Kona after 24 hours of travel with no clothes for another 3 hours! On the return flight we found the same lack of efficiency and even though we arrived more than an hour before the return flight from Kona to Honolulu, both My husband and I had our bags not arrive until the next flight. We had to wait in the airport again until the next flight arrived. Thank goodness we didn't have to get straight on another flight. We were not the only ones. It appears this is the Hawaiian Airlines way of doing business and it is 1 star. Even if you have paid for 5 star! And they say the best they can do is refund $70 of the ticket price.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteHNL to KOA
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"they are pretty clueless"

Flew Hawaiian Airlines from Hilo - Honolulu return, to pick up another flight. We have no choice when it comes to leaving this Island than to fly HA. Over the years, I have seen an improvement in ground handling and paying for Premier Club does mean Hilo airport is a little more acceptable: the flight to HNL is fast and straightforward. Returning is where Old Style HA comes into it's own. Returning from Japan, there is a need to recheck baggage and get boarding passes. It appears that is too much effort for ground staff. Yes, clicking to print a pass, instead they want you to go to another desk and when you do finally board, old style FAs are so full of having a job they do not care a bit about "Customers". In short inter Island, the minimal, begrudged service can be coped with for such short flights (and no other real choice) but I will never use them to fly further afield, they are pretty clueless.
RouteITO to HNL
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"limited inflight entertainment"

Economy from Papeete to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines. Not impressed with Hawaiian's service on this medium-haul, international red-eye flight. Limited inflight entertainment was available for purchase. Dinner consisted of a small sandwich and a cookie. There was no meal choice, so those with dietary restrictions were out of luck (myself included). I was also surprised that no breakfast was offered prior to landing in Honolulu. Of course, there were also no amenity kits. Flight attendants were approachable, but they were definitely not polished professionals.
RoutePPT to HNL

"food was pathetic"

New York JFK to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines, who are slightly above average for an American carrier, but far from a five star carrier. All flights on-time, staff were approachable, and the planes were clean. Unfortunately, there were no free films or games available on the long-haul flight. The airline boasts about being the only US carrier to offer free meals on domestic flights, but the food was pathetic. I've had better food on short-haul flight within Asia. There's also no meal choice, so you're out of luck if you can't eat what they offer.
RouteJFK to HNL

"terrible 767 aircraft"

I flew this terrible 767 aircraft from San Jose to Honolulu. As I live in Hawaii I have no choice but to fly with Hawaiian Airlines. My whole family is Pualani gold. We only fly hawaiian Airlines and United. This is one of our first time flying the old 767 since the fleet got pretty much replaced by the A330. It was acceptable. The cabin was old and the food was not that great. but Hawaiian struggles in their early morning meals. The iPads have never had recent covers either. And we werent able to use our membership to buy the iPads either.
RouteSJC to HNL
Date FlownNovember 2015

"not a memorable service"

(New Zealand)

Auckland to New York via Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines and there were no delays, and airport staff were pleasant. The standard of food was not as good as other airlines and there was no choice. Was advised the journey was full service and had expected the 11 hour flight from Hawaii to New York would come with entertainment included. It did not. You have to pay for movies and earphones, by credit card (no cash). Baggage handlers managed to damage 2 bags from our party of 3 and were not interested when this was reported. Cabin was clean, movies even though advertised as latest releases were dated. I feel this is important on long haul flights. Cabin crew were ok, and frequently offered water but it was not a memorable service.
RouteAKL to JFK via HNL