Vote Now

Hawaiian Airlines

"poorly run, unreliable, unresponsive"

Verified Review | Honolulu to Sacramento. This packed flight left more than two hours late because of a mechanical problem, arriving in Sacramento after midnight rather than 9:55 pm. We eventually were told, after takeoff, that the delay had something to do with the brakes. But we were kept in the dark until then. In the air, finally, we were told by way of apology that adults could have white or red wine without charge. But when I asked for white wine I was poured maybe two ounces - considerably less than half of one of those small plastic cups. We were also told that, also by way of apology, that after (so-called) dinner the movie Moana would be shown to the entire plane on the public screens and via loudspeakers. This two-hour kids' movie was thusly imposed on everyone who didn't have a noise-canceling headset. I've flown this route on Hawaiian a number of times because Hawaiian is the only carrier that does it nonstop. I've come to detest Hawaiian as a result. It is poorly run, unreliable, unresponsive, expensive, penny-pinching, and self-regarding. Stay away if you can.
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento
Date FlownApril 2017

"She went above and beyond"

Verified Review | I recently flew from Oakland to Honolulu and had the best flying experience ever! I give 100% credit to an amazing Flight Attendant. When we first got seated, there was a gentlemen who had taken a seat that was reserved for another customer. The gentlemen wanted to sit closer to his family who was in the middle isle but the customer who purchased a seat on the isle did so because she was breast feeding and had to pump during the flight and wanted easy access to and from the bathroom. The gentlemen sat in her seat and rudely wouldn't move. The FA noticed what had happened and did an amazing job resolving the situation for the customer who rightfully purchased her seat for accessibility. She did so in a very professional manner. Later in the flight the same FA asked if my wife and I had been to Hawaii before and we shared that this was our first trip. We explained that we had been trying to go for 18 years. We asked her for local recommendations and she later came back with a personal list that she created which today we spent the day visiting many of the destinations she recommended and candidly made our trip the best trip ever. As a Director of Sales for a large organization, I am constantly working with my staff to focus on the customer and deliver awesome customer experiences. Today, this FA made my wife and I huge promoters of Hawaiian Airlines. She went above and beyond to serve customers and did an awesome job doing so!
RouteOakland to Oahu
Date FlownMarch 2017

"experience ruined"

Verified Review | Will not fly with Hawaiian Airlines again. Booked day flight specifically for views between Kauai and Maui, they changed us from a window seat to the last row even though we booked and confirmed a month ago. This is the flight I was most looking forward to in the islands, experience ruined. Took forever to board, had to wait for another Hawaiian air flight to depart for 30 min on tarmac despite arriving on time. You have other options nowadays, take them.
RouteKauai to Kahului
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I would definitely fly them again"

Verified Review | This was my first time flying with Hawaiian Airlines so I was very excited. It was a short, inter-island flight from Honolulu to Kahului. We departed on time and were in the air for only about 15 minutes. This meant that their was no in-flight entertainment but that was expected and it didn't pose any kind of problem because the view outside the window was enough entertainment for me! The flight was most enjoyable. The cabin crew was very kind and friendly. They passed out water or juice but also took requests from passengers if they wanted a different beverage. They also handed out a travel guide of Maui with a map and a list of activities to do. I had never experienced this on another airline so this was very touching. Landing was very smooth despite the wind and turbulence. I was very impressed! This was very good experience and if I ever return to Hawaii I would definitely fly them again!
RouteHonolulu to Kahului
Date FlownDecember 2016

"We'll never fly them again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Honolulu. Terrible customer service. I accidentally booked my wife's ticket under her maiden name. They wouldn't let us change the name on the ticket. They forced us to purchase a new ticket and cancel the old one, the price difference was $750 (they will let you change a single letter for $200). What a scam. She almost missed her flight (her daughter was already on the flight). Basically they robbed us. Awful people, awful airline. We'll never fly them again.
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu

"kind service attitude"

Verified Review | Flew on Hawaiian Airlines flight HA897 from Honolulu to Beijing. I was very touched by the ground staff service. I am Chinese national (currently studying in Singapore) and my passport was stolen in Hilo. It was urgent to get back to China, get my new passport done before returning to Singapore, in order not to miss so lessons. However, there is no Chinese embassy in Hawaii. HA understood my special case scenario and allowed me to fly back to China without the original passport. In the airport, the HA ground staff as well as HNL airport ground staff were very kind and found a way to help. They took the initiative to contact the immigration checkpoint in both USA and China, they tried their best to let me board the aircraft. I was anxious about it and they consoled me and told me I would be fine. I managed to get back to China safe and sound. I'm was very impressed by the kind service attitude, otherwise, I would have to opt for a more troublesome way which is to fly 5 hours to LAX and visit the embassy there.
RouteHNL to PEK
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not an enjoyable experience"

Verified Review | Flew on Hawaiian Airlines flight HA137 from Kona to Honolulu. This airline uses the old B717 for all inter-island flights. Only water is served and the crews were very cold towards passengers. The announcement was unclear on this old aircraft. It's not an enjoyable experience but I would not say I don't recommend HA for this route, because the only airlines operate this route are HA and Island Air which are around the same standard.
RouteKOA to HNL
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I recommend Hawaiian Airlines"

Verified Review | Inter island flight from Honolulu to Hilo. This rather short flight is operated by a 20-year-old Boeing 717. The aircraft was old and there were no personal IFEs, but the seats were more comfortable than what I imagined. Only drinks were served on this short flight. But overall the experience was not bad, the check in, boarding process was smooth and the cabin crews were very helpful. HA offers 14 flights a day on this route. I recommend Hawaiian Airlines, especially to day trippers. As you can book a package tour, which gives you a one day return ticket from Honolulu and you can tour the volcano national park in Hilo.
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"staff were constantly stubborn"

(New Zealand)

Honolulu to Auckland. My flight with Hawaiian Airlines was first of all delayed 2 hours, soon to be followed by constant 30 minute extra waits with no explanation given or this. After a final 2 hours waiting to hop on the plane (a total of 5 hours after the official departure time) we were told that a piece of motor was missing and the next available flight is in another 3 days. No information was given as to refunds or transfers, food vouchers or accommodation for people who are simply tourists in the country and have no money. Nothing at all, beyond this the staff were constantly stubborn and had no answers to any questions.
RouteHNL to AKL
Date FlownDecember 2016

"economy food of child-size portion"

Loa Angeles to Sydney return via Honolulu. Efficient check-in and boarding. On-time departures and arrivals. Generally clean cabin and okay bathroom condition. Forced viewing of commercials Economy class food of child-size portion and poor quality; no choice for entrée; no tomato juice; breakfast verges on inedible. Long gap between dinner and breakfast on a 10-hour flight. Frequent announcements to promote transactions (snacks; credit card; duty-free, etc.). Very limited viewing selections which are exactly the same on every one of the four flights that I took. Aisle seats on the two sides have reduced leg rooms due to a power strip that runs under those seats.
AircraftA330-200