Hawaiian Airlines

Review by (United States)

Once again Hawaiian proves that economy class passengers can be treated well and comfortably. We paid for "extra comfort" seats on the Honolulu-Las Vegas leg both ways. For $70 each, each way, we got tremendous leg room and the 2+4+2 seating allowed my wife and I to have our own aisle and window row. Nice complimentary meals were served each way, along with a small glass or wine or mai tai. As to value, our two roundtrip tickets costs about $2000 and that was with a 50% discount on one fare due to their credit card. (You don't get a 50% discount on the $140 extra comfort seat upcharge for the roundtrip). We were willing to pay this for very comfortable flights at the more popular times. We did not look to see if we could have saved money by being cramped on an ultra low cost carrier, not did we check out the prices on the legacy airline competitors. Hawaiian has convinced us that they deliver a pleasant economy class experience which is becoming very unusual these days.
RouteLas Vegas to Lihue via Honolulu

Hawaiian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flight operated by Ohana for Hawaiian. Thirty five minute flight from KIA to OGG. Aircraft clean and tidy drinks offered en route. Being a small commuter plane very cramped but not a problem on such a short flight. Departed and arrived on time, no complaints.
AircraftATR42 500
RouteKona to Kahului

Hawaiian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Much the same as the outward flight, same operator Ohana and aircraft a turbo prop ATR. Had problems at the gate with our booking for this one but sorted by friendly gate staff. Thirty five minute flight back to Kona all normal arrived early. No complaints.
AircraftATR42 500
RouteKahului to Kona

Review by (Australia)

Flight was excellent, online check-in easy but bag drop off took a while as the first class line was slower then economy lines. No express line at security but didn't take long. Food was nice as was the bloody Mary's for the morning flight, crew always helpful and attentive. On landing in Honolulu we were advised there was no gate for us and we would need to wait 10-15 minutes, no problem as I had over an hour to make my connection. An hour later we were still on the plane sitting on Tarmac, everybody advised the crew of connecting flights, the crew announced that we would be rescedualed as they would not hold our connections. After an hour they found a gate for us. I ran and they had held the Hilo flight, the crew at that gate said they did not know that the Vegas flight was delayed so they waiting for the rest of the Vegas passengers, well done to the ground crew at inter island terminal. Honolulu is expanding to fast to keep up with infrastructure.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLAS to ITO via HNL

Review by (United States)

I am sad to say that we were not allowed on our flight today because we were not at the boarding gate fifteen minutes before departure. Even though we were allowed to check in with our two children 6 months and 2. Once we got to the gate exactly 15 minutes before takeoff our agent kept his head down staring at his computer for about 5 minutes. After that he informed us that the gates were closed and no one else could board. Strange because atleast two other people were allowed on the plane while we were standing at the checkin counter. I felt embarrassed as other people were allowed onto the flight while we were held off to the side. I am not sure if they didn't want to let us on because we had the two small children or they didn't like the way we looked. I would not recommend anyone to this airline ever. In fact I would urge you to stay away from them as you can see their other reviews on here are pretty bad as well. If anyone knows a way I can get my family out to Hawaii asap please share. Hawaiian air customer service has given us the run around and made light of our situation.
RouteLAS to HNL

Review by (United States)

Flying Hawaiians seasonal non stop was a pleasure. Comfortable seating, warm service and good food were the highlights of a pleasant comfortable experience. Nothing to add but a hearty recommendation. I actually prefer the older 767s over the newer A330's. Even the luggage was delivered in a timely manner.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteKona to Oakland

Review by (United States)

The good: Efficient boarding, departed and arrived on time. The so so: Cabin attendants did their jobs, legroom OK, but less than jetBlue. The bad: "Entertainment" - Why have in-seat TV screen when nothing worthwhile to watch, unless you pay extra for it? "Meal" - water, few pieces of fruit, mystery cheese thing, one piece of candy. Overall opinion: Very average experience. Hawaiian should be so much better when their slogan is "Hawaii Flies With Us". Should not boast about serving a meal, attendants OK, but lack aloha spirit, delete ads when giving info about Hawaii before landing. Would fly again, but only because of mediocre competitors.
RouteSEA to HNL

Review by (United States)

I am never flying on Hawaiian Airlines again. Once was once too many! Horrible customer service. 1) Luggage issues. They refused to send my bags all the way to the final destination. Their response was "because you have a layover of more than 4 hours, we cannot send the bags all the way." This was blatantly false because I later confirmed with people who had flown the exact same route and they had no issues checking their bags all the way to the final destination. Some incompetent staff, for sure! 2) In-flight service for an international flight was atrocious. When I reminded the attendant that I had requested a special meal, she replied rather rudely, "Oh, we don't do special meals." 3) Good luck trying to change your flights without paying a hefty amount. And even then, you were restricted to a few dates only.
RouteHNL to KTM via ICN
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (United States)

We have flown Hawaiian airlines about 8 times, and it has been satisfying every time. The service is very good, the seat is comfortable (especially the pillows), the food is pretty good and the legroom is comfortable. We fly this airline about once every two years, and it's been very satisfying. They are kid friendly too.
RoutePHX to HNL
Date FlownSeptember 2014

Review by (New Zealand)

AKL-HNL on a modern A330 in Extra Comfort seat in 11A. An excellent option at a small cost for the 9 hr long overnight flight. Whilst the seat was the same as Economy Class and the armrest was fixed, this row is situated directly behind Business Class in a small intimate cabin at the front of the plane. The leg room was huge, improving comfort and thus the ability to get some sleep. Return HNL-AKL afternoon flight was in standard Economy seat 18A and whilst a little tight when the person in front reclined, it was perfectly adequate and comfortable. On-demand movies / TV series / games were free and it was fun to watch some Hawaii-centric shows. The touch screen was not very responsive and there was no alternative controls resulting in a lot of unnecessary "poking". Upon embarkation, FA's handed out amenity kits comprising eye masks, headphones, earplugs and in Extra Comfort seats additional items were included in a cute little pouch. Food and drink service was prompt after takeoff and I think relevant to the time of travel. A snack pack was offered at midnight with a breakfast before arrival then on the return a hot chicken/rice dish at late PM takeoff with a sandwich as a late supper. Much better than a curry at 3am as I have experienced on some airlines. Service friendliness and professionalism was mixed depending on which crew member attended you (as always) and the return was much better but overall more than adequate. Water was offered frequently throughout the flight. My only negative would be the temperature of the cabin - it was freezing cold! The FA's were even wearing cardigans. And the complimentary blanket smelled like it had been in a smokers zone - it was disgusting. Fortunately I had packed my own. Overall I was very impressed with the flights. It represented good value and the inclusion 2 checked bags in the fare was a bonus. I would recommend this airline for this route and will fly with them again. It's a shame Honolulu Airport is their hub - it is woeful and not a pleasant experience.
RouteAuckland to Honolulu