Hawaiian Airlines

"airline staff were very curt with us"

Verified Review | Flew Kauai to Los Angeles. I wish I could say Hawaiian was any different from any US-based airline. Customer service is pretty mediocre, bordering on rude at times. Our flight did not include individual TV screens, only shared TV screens that showed things like a Hawaii city council meeting and public access type television programming. The food was inedible - lukewarm breakfast sandwiches with fruit that tasted old. The airline staff were very curt with us. At one point we asked about early boarding because we had a child with us, and the desk agent snapped that it wasn't our turn yet. Okay, that's why we were asking. We had to check in our stroller at the gate and when we arrived at Lihue, it took us 20 minutes to find an airline staff who could tell us where the stroller was. We were told they'd bring it to us, then it turned out to be behind the desk. We flew Hawaiian because we figured it would be better than United, but it's really the same level of bad service just disguised with a lei.
RouteKauai to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"not check in due to being late"

Verified Review | Kona to Honolulu. I was told I could not check in due to being late. I was not aware of this policy and never before when I flew with Hawaiian Airlines was I denied my ticket to fly. There is no policy about checking in on time on your itinerary so the only way you can find out about this bad news is if you get it first from the desk. I was then printed a ticket for a flight an hour after my original flight, and when everything was done, I went off to TSA line and got to my original gate in 2 mins. I arrived at the gate 20 mins before boarding even began and I was denied entry on board by the Hawaiian employees. They were not being friendly at all and wanted to just go on their "lunch break" at 6:28pm. Very unprofessional of these people. I was also belittled by one of them when claiming that is my plane that I should be on and they were asking me in a very condescending way if I want my ticket back as I gave it to one of the ladies for confirmation. I was and am still disgusted with Hawaiian Airlines and their customer service. I feel cheated that I had to still pay them for the pet cabin too because I had my pet in her kennel all the time waiting eagerly to get home. They email me later asking how my flight was and on the bottom it had their checking in Policy with different information then what I was told by all the employees.
RouteKona to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Old, uncomfortable and small planes"

Verified Review | Flew Hawaiian Airlines from Maui to Honolulu. Old, uncomfortable and small planes. Unhelpful check in crew. The night before my flight I got an email saying that there would be a delay on my flight and I would miss my conection to LAX. After making calls and rechecking the situation, apparently the email was a mistake, there was nothing wrong with the flight. After being mistreated at check in where the attendant didn't help to arrange the seats for me and my husband to sit next to each other, the airplane, very old by the way, had a technical problem causing departure delay. Not satisfied with the service provided by this company.
RouteMaui to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Crew were friendly and efficient enough"

Verified Review | On time flight Honolulu-Sydney with Hawaiian Airlines. Crew were friendly and efficient enough. Beverage supply was very good as were the meals albeit of the smaller size. Aircraft was in good condition and appeared to be of the newer A330 kind, however, the fact that the screen is fixed to the seat back in front makes for difficult viewing if the person in front reclines.
RouteHonolulu to Sydney
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Hawaiian left me with a good impression"

Verified Review | Flew Hilo to Lihue via Honolulu. This trip was two very short flights, less than an hour in the air total, but Hawaiian left me with a good impression. The seats and plane interiors are nothing special, but for flights this short it doesn't matter - I've flown long haul with them and on those flights they're great. On this trip, despite checking in all the way to Lihue, for some reason my bag was only checked to Honolulu. I wasn't told this when checking in, so I arrived at Lihue to find my bag hadn't come with me. This was annoying, but the way Hawaiian handled it couldn't have been better. I was on the last flight for the night, but when I rang at 8am the next morning, my bag had already arrived. Then, a couple of days later, I noticed the fee I had paid for checked luggage refunded to my bank account, without me even asking. Every company makes mistakes sometimes, but if they all handled them like Hawaiian did, the world would be a much nicer place.
RouteHilo to Lihue via Honolulu
Date FlownJuly 2017

"there's hardly any leg room"

Verified Review | Overall average airline experience flying from Sydney to Honolulu. Check in: automated counters weren't working, so everyone had to be manually checked in, took around 30 mins of waiting. Service staff at the counter couldn't even manage a smile. But was a smooth process despite the minor flaws. Boarding: boarded in zones, worked well, was slightly delayed due to the incoming flight being slightly delayed. Staff kept everyone well informed. Couldn't ask for more. Inflight: air crew were very casually dressed, fitted with the Hawaiian vibe. Weren't as tight and efficient as Thai airways or Etihad. Still the staff were friendly and seemed like they cared about passengers having a good experience. There was no power port on the plane, only USB charging for low power devices. The seats were uncomfortable with very thin cushions, the seats recline quite a bit but there's hardly any leg room. I'm not a tall person but my knees were mashed into the seat in front most of the flight. They provided a pillow and a blanket as well as headphones and earplugs which are necessary as this aircraft was very loud. Meals: dinner was a casserole/curry with rice and beans which was pretty good. There was some coon cheese, and a dairy milk. Staff offered a large range of beverages. Breakfast was a bit dissappointing as there was no hot meal, I got a yoghrt, a bread piece with jam and butter and a cinnamon muffin. Overall was acceptable for the price
RouteSydney to Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2017

"strength is in their hospitality"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Maui with Hawaiian Airlines. Happy to see a big improvement in the front cabin after a few years of decline. The newly designed cabin is randomly available on domestic routes, always available on certain routes and will be a standard in the next year. Although it seems like they spent as little as they could. Entertainment is via a large iPad attached to a pole that pulls out like a tray table. Odd but it's fine. The meal was quite good for domestic first class as well. The strength, when it is there is their bright light that can shine from Hawaiian people. Both attendants today were in the most Hawaiian way, gracious warm and great at their job. I hope it's a trend. Seats and entertainment matter but Hawaiians strength is in their hospitality. When it works, it's world class. When it's off you notice the less then great cabin. One more thing and it's big. No Wi-Fi and no plans. Big mistake, bad calculation on their part.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Maui
Date FlownJune 2017

"pay $80 more to sit together"

Verified Review | Maui to Seattle. Bought tickets 5 months for me and my wife. While checking in 24 hrs in advance I get a seat assigned and my wife does not. They were under airport control. Reached gate 90 mins before departure and we were asked to either take last row or pay $80 more per ticket to be able to sit together. Seriously? 15 years of flying and this is the first time. Airline food overall is average but Hawaiian airlines has below average food. It will ruin your Hawaiian experience - also they don't allow you to use wireless headphones, so you are forced to buy their earphones.
RouteMaui to Seattle
Date FlownMay 2017

"it is the worst airline"

Verified Review | Honolulu to Sydney. For me it is the worst airline. I had trouble to use the self service check in machine in the Honolulu. The customer service officer yelled out useless instructions as I am a kid making a mistake in the classroom. She was not even bothered to walk 5 steps down to have a look. When I eventually got the instruction to go to the counter for check in. I asked to keep the original seats but the guy said no seat left and give me two seats in the middle "D" in row 36 and 38" regardless my mother is 80 non English speaking and I need going to bathroom as the health issue. And later I rang the head office the reply was classic " I am sorry for your experience this time and hope you fly with us again" the no matter what you said it was a long silent. After this do you think I will fly with this junk again?
Aircraft A330-200
RouteHonolulu to Sydney
Date FlownMay 2017

"poorly run, unreliable, unresponsive"

Verified Review | Honolulu to Sacramento. This packed flight left more than two hours late because of a mechanical problem, arriving in Sacramento after midnight rather than 9:55 pm. We eventually were told, after takeoff, that the delay had something to do with the brakes. But we were kept in the dark until then. In the air, finally, we were told by way of apology that adults could have white or red wine without charge. But when I asked for white wine I was poured maybe two ounces - considerably less than half of one of those small plastic cups. We were also told that, also by way of apology, that after (so-called) dinner the movie Moana would be shown to the entire plane on the public screens and via loudspeakers. This two-hour kids' movie was thusly imposed on everyone who didn't have a noise-canceling headset. I've flown this route on Hawaiian a number of times because Hawaiian is the only carrier that does it nonstop. I've come to detest Hawaiian as a result. It is poorly run, unreliable, unresponsive, expensive, penny-pinching, and self-regarding. Stay away if you can.
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento