Hawaiian Airlines

"sipped our Hawaiian cocktails"

Trip Verified | Together with my parents we flew from Honolulu to Kona in Business Class/domestic First. Taking into account that the price difference between coach and Business Class was $50, and that luggage is included, I would most likely pay the difference again. The seat was a big, comfortable chair with enough leg space. We sipped our Hawaiian cocktails and enjoyed the splendid view outside the window. A snack was served (small bag of pretzels); I think here Hawaiian has room for improvement such like fresh fruits or a snack basket like the mainland carriers use for such short flight.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Kona

"disappointing flying experience"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to San Francisco. Hawaiian Airlines is going downhill. The lines for bag check in and for security — for TSA Pre too— were around out of the terminal and around the block. Gee, HNL is Hawaiian Airlines’ hub; one would expect that they would have their check in act together on their home turf. Not. Almost missed my flight. The food selection in flight was incredibly limited, and Hawaiian did not even offer the option to buy a meal. Really? On a 5 hour flight? Hard to believe. The flght attendants are also starting to catch the disease normally associated with other airlines: Surly-itis. It took 45 minutes for my bag to appear in baggage claim. Altogether, a disappointing flying experience.
RouteHonolulu to San Francisco

"a terrible experience"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Honolulu. What a terrible experience this flight was, keep the temperature in the plane at a maximum of 20 degrees Celsius just to make people ask for blankets which they sell with 10$. After take off they started to sell food without informing that in another 40min they will serve the food in the tickets - they ask for money on earbuds and movies. After complaining they offered a 100 usd travel credit despite i told them that i am living in Europe.
RouteLas Vegas to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2018

"staff has very little concern"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Honolulu. I took a trip to Hawaii for the first time ever for my honeymoon with my husband. The island is beautiful and the people are lovely. Unfortunately the staff and customer service wasn't. We were left hungry both on the way and back as they couldn't provide a vegetarian meal even though I had checked double times both ways. no effort was made to provide substitute food and the staff has very little concern. The 9 hour flight was a struggle and we will not be flying with them again. After complaining we received 100 credit with the airline. Not sure how this helps me?
RouteSydney to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2017

"got good value for" money

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Auckland. First time flying with Hawaiian Airlines and I must say we got good value for money. Air New Zealand have been fleecing New Zealanders for years on this sector for years so it's great to see competition. The cabins are very airy and simple, seat room in economy was ok and the seat was comfy enough. The cabin crew were very friendly and had a nice Hawaiian relaxed style. Communication from the flight deck was excellent re flight times, turbulence etc. Meal service was good as was bar service. Despite the cheaper ticket price, Hawaiian is a full service airline and you're luggage is on the piece system, good for bringing back you're outlet shopping! We will definitely fly Hawaiian next time we go up to Honolulu and further.
AircraftA330-200
RouteHonolulu to Auckland
Date FlownApril 2018

"Terrible in cabin service"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Honolulu. Terrible in cabin service on the way to Hawaii and the way home. The cabin was so cold, we were offered blanket for $10 but when we went to buy one they didn't have anymore so we froze the whole 6 1/2 hr flight. The food was terrible also, so we were cold and hungry by the time we arrived. After voluntarily checking 2 of our bags when asked, due to limited baggage space due to a totally full flight. The appreciation we got for that was a totally cracked suitcase with no explanation.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2018

"predatory and exploitative"

Trip Verified | New York to Honolulu. I had the gate slammed at my face after my wife and I spent close to 40 mins at the TSA line. We were roughly one minute late. We explained to the Hawaiian Airline staff at the boarding gate what happened and they reported that they could not let us board the plane due to "security reasons". The plane waited on the tarmac for 20 more mins after our experience before taking off. Within this period of trying to negotiate, 9 other people who were late came up to the gate with the same TSA complaint. We noted and reported that other airline staff tried to help get their passengers quickly through the TSA lines but Hawaiian airline staff did not. We were asked to rebook our flight, only for us to get a quote for $2200 dollars for (2) one way ticket from New York to Hawaii for my wife and I - twice the cost of my return ticket. This was predatory and exploitative. We were upset but paid it as we were attending an annual medical conference in Hawaii and had paid for extra courses as well which we did not want to miss. I should have flown United, Delta or American Airlines. My friends who did had a better experience in terms of friendliness and consideration of their ground staff and cabin staff. We spent 20 extra hours trying to reach our destination and paid dearly for the one minute delay in getting to the boarding gate. Please avoid this airline at all costs. We are in the times where airlines are trying to redeem their image. Unfortunately Hawaiian does not give a rat's behind about customers and diplomacy as long as you have paid for your tickets.
RouteNew York to Honolulu

"bad customer experience"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Maui. We came early to airport- there were early planes with empty seats even though the flights were empty - we requested they told -they will charge extra dollars and behaved very rude. Total very bad customer experience - will never travel in this airline
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownMarch 2018

"absolute worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | Can I rate it a zero! The absolute worst customer service ever. I had a total of 6 flights scheduled during my honeymoon in Hawaii. The total cost of all the "island hopping" flights is about $600 dollars. I needed to change my flight because of blizzard in the eastern U.S (NY to DC) that has 2500 flights canceled. They are a partner of United, my carrier to Hawaii and you should be able to change due to inclement weather. I needed to push each flight back one day. After waiting on hold for one hour they tell me they want to charge me about $400 to change the flights (75% of the cost). They said maybe to try having a United rep call to change the flight. I call back with a United Rep. They want to charge me $400 for the flight. Speaking with their customer service reps is a miserable experience. All offshore reps which doesn't always have to be unpleasant but I felt like I was speaking to the mafia with these folks. Every other hotel and airline I called to reschedule due to this snow blizzard were nice and had no issue changing. This airlines customer service is rotten to the core. Stay away.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului
Date FlownMarch 2018

"The most horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Kauai. The flight was scheduled for 8am. They let people in the plane, we were waiting for 1 hour inside the plane (it was really cold and when i asked for the blanket they said its extra cost). Finally they let us out and said its gonna be a delay, because engine was broken and they were trying to fix. Mechanics were trying to fix it for the good 6 hours, airline was promising every hour that soon we will depart. After all they couldn't fix the engine and something else was damaged on the plane (it was really old, scary how they let such old planes to operate). After 6 hours at the airport and official note from the airline that the flights is canceled i went to Hawaiian ticket counter and they issued new tickets for me and my husband for the next day with another airline, and thanks god i checked it by the evening and found out that reservation wasn't existing. They issued the ticket wrong. The company is hard to get a hold of, i had to wait 40 minutes calling from 2 different phones at the same time. Finally the representative answered and she said that they can't refund money for the flight or to change it The result, 6 hours in the airport, 2 hours on the phone, no money back nothing. The most horrible experience of my life so far with the airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Kauai