Gulf Air

"needs a lot of improvement"

Verified Review | London to Lahore via Bahrain in February. Service between London and Bahrain was fantastic but the service between Bahrain and Lahore was awful and needs a lot of improvement. The toilets were dirty, food was not up to the mark, staff was poor and the seats were dirty. In flight entertainment was not available. Gulf Air needs to provide equal services on all its routes.
RouteLondon to Lahore via Bahrain
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"pleasant and hospitable"

Verified Review | Chennai to Bahrain. Ground staff in Chennai Airport were particularly attentive knowing I was elderly and travelling alone. Cabin crew on board my flight were pleasant and hospitable. The breakfast I was served was not very nice taking into consideration it was a Business Class meal. The eggs were not to my liking, but I did enjoy the bakery and other condiments. The seats was not a flat bed but it was okay for a medium haul flight and the IFE could be improved.
RouteChennai to Bahrain
Date FlownJuly 2017

"legroom is really good"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Frankfurt via Bahrain in December 2016. Comparing longhaul economy class of Gulf Air with economy class of established airlines, Gulf Air can compete with those in terms of comfort and food. The only real letdown is the entertainment system. There is an IFE system installed but there should be a lot more variety. Nevertheless in my personal opinion seating comfort is worth more than having 200 movies available. The cabin on the A330s seems to be newly refurbished. Legroom on their A330s is as far as I can say bigger than on other airlines A330s. Bonus is the comfort on their A320s which they are using from BAH to FRA. Due to the fact that they are operating the A320 on its max range I guess the number of pax is limited. As a result those A320s seem to be kind of modified longhaul A320s with only a small number of seats in longhaul configuration. Therefore legroom is really good and the atmosphere is not as crowded as it is on other wide body economy flights.
RouteBKK to FRA via BAH
Date FlownDecember 2016

"prices are cheaper than Emirates"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Colombo to Dubai via Bahrain. I choose Gulf Air because it's ticket prices are cheaper than Emirates, Qatar, Srilankan or etc. Actually I wonder how they manage to maintain an airline like this. Because they have very few passengers for a flight. In flight entertainment is bad compared to Emirates. Food is good but very limited. All the facilities we have to ask for (blanket, extra juice). The airport facility also good, wifi/toilet facility are very good. I had 10hrs transit at Baharain and they give me meal card (wrote on boarding pass) so I can have lunch from sky lounge on 4th floor.
RouteColombo to Dubai via Bahrain
Date FlownJune 2017

"They were really ruthless"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Colombo via Bahrain. I was really upset that I decided to travel with Gulf Air even it was cheap. The ground staff in Frankfurt and Bahrain acted without any heart. They were really ruthless. They did not allow me to take my essential baby stuff to the flight. An even at that last stage, they had very bad customer care. In the flight, you will not get any blanket or pillow. This is first and last. Do not fly.
RouteFrankfurt to Colombo via Bahrain
Date FlownMarch 2017

"this airline was horrifying"

Verified Review | Our experience with this airline was horrifying to say the least. Not only that they had over 4.5 hours delay that they couldn't explain. This delay pushed us to miss our next flight to NY. The desk manager didn't make any effort to find us another flight to make our connection, and instead asked us to call the connecting airline to try to get in the next flight. Of course, the other airline was not willing to help since it wasn't their fault. When asked to speak to another manager, he wouldn't cooperate. This is the worst airline customer service we have ever seen! We have decided to take on the next flight and connect with another airline.
RouteBahrain to Dubai
Date FlownApril 2017

"managed to get me on onboard"

(Bahrain)

Unverified | Having seen a number of negative reviews, I was quite hesitant to book with Gulf Air. Flew from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi. I was delayed due to traffic and arrived 30 minutes before take off, I had bags to check and ran to the desk, the gentleman was pleasant, immediately called his manager and managed to get me on onboard the flight. Flight was on time and arrived early for this 50 minute hop. Crew were pleasant and water and sandwich handed out. Flight was smooth and the flight deck were engaging. Overall no better or worse than Etihad or Emirates, I would definitely use them again.
RouteBahrain to Abu Dhabi

"despicable customer service"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Riyadh to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain with Gulf Air. We arrived at Riyadh airport check in gate to discover there was a 2.15 hour delay. The service agent working the desk could not tell us why there was a delay nor could he offer any sympathy. We proceeded to wait for 3.5 hours until the flight finally arrived from Bahrain to board. We had a connecting flight to Abu Dhabi that we were promised we would make. We landed at 1200 and the flight was planned to leave at 1220. We ran, first off the plane to the gate which was closed. Even though we could see the plane still there. We ran to the transfer desk and were met with some of the worst customer service agents I have ever seen. None of this was our fault. Yet they made us feel that way. We were never apologized to nor did we even receive a smile. They would not call anyone to open the gate for us to make our flight instead begrudgingly gave us a boarding pass to the next available flight which was another 3 hours later. Again. Never received an apology or compensation or a remote amount of sympathy. I Will never fly with this airline again. I'm so disappointed. It has taken me 11 hours to get somewhere that should be a 2 hour flight. And I would feel better if at least one of the service agents had empathy for what we were going through as travellers. Despicable customer service. I have never been so taken aback at the customer service of an airline and I've been on over 24 flights in the past year.
RouteRiyadh to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain

"An awful airline"

Verified Review | An awful airline. A 5 hour delays, no compensation and not even a reply from their customer service. I flew from Paris with the flight on February 8th to Bangkok with a stop in Bahrain. I learned when landing in Bahrain that the flight to Bangkok GF152Y was delayed by 5 hours. I hardly received any excuse from the staff, the customer service never answered my emails and I had no compensation at all. I stayed 7 hours in the terrible Bahrain airport in the middle of the night, had nothing to drink nor eat.
RouteParis to Bangkok via Bahrain
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"highly satisfactory alternative"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain. Given it cost me less than an economy ticket on one of the other gulf-based airlines, I treated myself to an upgrade for the return home. After the travails of the outward flight, I feared the worse particularly when the dreaded Gulf Air 'bad news SMS' arrived the evening before. The flight would be late, but only by an hour or so. Not a problem; the transit at Bahrain was over two hours. No queue at check-in, as to be expected, and fast-tracked through immigration and security which can be a mare at BKK. The general lounge used by Gulf was perfectly serviceable with an adequate selection of food and beverages. On joining the plane, I was greeted by a friendly crew who were attentive throughout; so happens the steward / chef was Scottish. Food was tasty albeit limited in choice compared to other operators. Likewise the vanity kit was basic. There again, why do you need anything flash? You only have to pay for it! As on the outward flight the IFR was technically excellent, not least the headphones, but woefully lacking in content. If there was any wifi, it wasn't promoted. However, you fly business class for the seat not the goodies. And this offered excellent space - six across - and comfort, and relatively new by the looks of things. Although traditional in design - it was just a seat, as is my personal preference - I had no sense of my immediate neighbours' presence. As initially advised by Gulf, the flight arrived in Bahrain an hour late. Annoyingly, although it is the norm in this part of the world, we were forced onto a bus to the terminal for no obvious reason. After a short spell in the Falcon lounge, which is excellent, eventual arrival in Abu Dhabi was 15 minutes ahead of schedule. In summary, a pleasant flight. Not up to Emirates or Qatar Airways standards, true. But if you're not able or prepared to pay the prices of these other, Gulf Air offers a highly satisfactory alternative if - and it's a very big if - its ageing planes stay healthy.
AircraftA330-200