Vote Now

Gulf Air

"An awful airline"

Verified Review | An awful airline. A 5 hour delays, no compensation and not even a reply from their customer service. I flew from Paris with the flight on February 8th to Bangkok with a stop in Bahrain. I learned when landing in Bahrain that the flight to Bangkok GF152Y was delayed by 5 hours. I hardly received any excuse from the staff, the customer service never answered my emails and I had no compensation at all. I stayed 7 hours in the terrible Bahrain airport in the middle of the night, had nothing to drink nor eat.
RouteParis to Bangkok via Bahrain
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"highly satisfactory alternative"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain. Given it cost me less than an economy ticket on one of the other gulf-based airlines, I treated myself to an upgrade for the return home. After the travails of the outward flight, I feared the worse particularly when the dreaded Gulf Air 'bad news SMS' arrived the evening before. The flight would be late, but only by an hour or so. Not a problem; the transit at Bahrain was over two hours. No queue at check-in, as to be expected, and fast-tracked through immigration and security which can be a mare at BKK. The general lounge used by Gulf was perfectly serviceable with an adequate selection of food and beverages. On joining the plane, I was greeted by a friendly crew who were attentive throughout; so happens the steward / chef was Scottish. Food was tasty albeit limited in choice compared to other operators. Likewise the vanity kit was basic. There again, why do you need anything flash? You only have to pay for it! As on the outward flight the IFR was technically excellent, not least the headphones, but woefully lacking in content. If there was any wifi, it wasn't promoted. However, you fly business class for the seat not the goodies. And this offered excellent space - six across - and comfort, and relatively new by the looks of things. Although traditional in design - it was just a seat, as is my personal preference - I had no sense of my immediate neighbours' presence. As initially advised by Gulf, the flight arrived in Bahrain an hour late. Annoyingly, although it is the norm in this part of the world, we were forced onto a bus to the terminal for no obvious reason. After a short spell in the Falcon lounge, which is excellent, eventual arrival in Abu Dhabi was 15 minutes ahead of schedule. In summary, a pleasant flight. Not up to Emirates or Qatar Airways standards, true. But if you're not able or prepared to pay the prices of these other, Gulf Air offers a highly satisfactory alternative if - and it's a very big if - its ageing planes stay healthy.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBangkok to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain
Date FlownMarch 2017

"trying desperately hard to survive"

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Bangkok via Bahrain. Gulf Air was once the premier airline in the region. Today what's left of its long haul business relies on six ageing and by all accounts increasingly unreliable A330s. The slightest unscheduled disruption can, and does, lead to service meltdown. Although we were forewarned by Gulf there'd be problems at Bahrain - a quick check on flight tracking websites suggested at least two A330s had been taken out of service - this did not prepare us for the chaotic scenes on arrival with all long haul flights either cancelled or operating many hours if not days behind schedule. Good point: Gulf Air had done the honourable and organised 5* hotel accommodation and food for the day in Bahrain. Bad point: they neglected to tell us prior to arrival; we only found out by word of mouth after wasting the best part of an hour in various queues. Once we eventually departed the flight was satisfactory; food and service good, legroom tight but no worse than others in cattle class, an excellent inflight system with, alas, nothing much to watch. Do not expect Emirates or QATAR quality if flying Gulf. However they're a fraction of the price of the aforementioned - our hotel probably cost more than we paid for the tickets - for which a lot can be forgiven. An airline trying desperately hard to survive with the long haul big boys without the resources to do so.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Bangkok via Bahrain

"Awful customer service"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Bangkok via Bahrain. We boarded the plane, sat in fairly comfortable seating and reversed to taxi. Was parked for 45 minutes and no movement and no announcement from captain and then moved back to parking bay. Captain then announced there was a problem and we won't be flying for another hour. Wasn't too much of a problem but no drink or food and wasn't allowed to get off the plane. Hour past, still no movement and no announcement, hour later (2 hours and 45minutes after departure time) the problem will take another 1 hour and 30 minutes to fix. Still couldn't get off plane but water was supplied and awful biscuits. Finally 4 hours and 25 minutes in a plane at the parking bay we left. Awful, we should of been allowed off and given food vouchers for the delay. Because they held the next flight we aren't in the European regulation EC261 for compensation as we landed in Bangkok 2 hours late. Awful customer service and disappointment as return flight was much better.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Bahrain
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"flight was delayed by 2 hours"

Verified Review | London to Chennai via Bahrain. The fare was very cheap compared to other airlines. The aircraft are of an average standard and quite old. Inflight entertainment is very bad and boring. Staff are pleasant and accommodating. Food is also of average standard. The biggest issue with Gulf Air is the punctuality. I have been checking some of the flights since I booked my ticket and on several occasions the LHR bound flight had been delayed by more that 2 hours. The outbound flight was uneventful however the inbound flight from Chennai to Bahrain was delayed by 1 hour and even more frustrating to find that the Bahrain - London flight was delayed by 2 hours. Not very pleasant when having to wait for another 2 hours on top of a long 3 hour wait in a very small airport.
AircraftA330-200 / A320/321
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon to Chennai via Bahrain
Date FlownMarch 2017

"very long tiring 2 days"

Verified Review | Bangkok to London Heathrow via Bahrain. The aircraft was very good, the staff were very helpful. Unfortunately on arriving at Bangkok airport, we were told that there was a delay of 5hrs (i.e flight was to have left at 8.50pm, but was not due to leave until 01.05, but did not leave until 01.22). When I asked at check in at Bangkok why it was delayed, they where very vague) this then meant that the connecting flight from Bahrain which we were due to catch at 02.00 was of course gone, so had to then wait a further 4hrs, so instead of getting into Heathrow at 06.35 Tuesday am, did not get back till 2.30pm (approx. I then had to find another way back to Portsmouth as the taxi I had booked was no longer there. Since then I have been trying to get some form of compensation, but as Bangkok and Bahrain are not EU countries I'm unable to and also Gulf Air is not an EU aircraft, I get nothing. Very disappointed, as no explanation was given and none of it was my fault. It was a very long tiring 2 days.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBangkok to Heathrow via Bahrain
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"no signs of Gulf Air rep"

Verified Review | Dubai to London via Bahrain. We left Dubai at 9:20 pm on 26th December to go to Bahrain for an onward flight to London Heathrow. Flight was nice and, when I noticed that we should have reached Bahrain, an announcement by pilot was made that due to fog in Bahrain, we are diverting flight to Kuwait Airport. We landed in Kuwait around 10.40pm local time. Finally the plane stopped, sandwiches and water were served by flight attendants and then after some time pilot announced that we will be taken to Kuwait Airport lobby as the flights will not fly until 7.00 am next day and we will be greeted by Gulf Air reps in the airport (around 11.00 pm local time) . This was the last time we heard a Gulf Air representative for next 8-9 hours. Kuwait airport, although an international airport, is pretty much like a small tunnel with limited shops and uncomfortable seats. The buses dumped us at the airport and we entered in the airport to find a crowded airport. It was chaos; we reached at other airline transit desk and waited about an hour to speak with Gulf Air rep, nobody turned up. At this desk, some Airport staff appeared and asked all of Gulf Air passengers to go to gate number 2. Well, gate number 2 was locked and there were no signs of Gulf Air rep there too. By this time at had been there about two hours. All passengers had nowhere to go, no food, no water not even a chair available to sit. Agitated, some passengers tried to go to Gulf Air Lounge but lounge service lady there, claimed that she is nothing to do with Gulf Air and could not help anybody. At 7am in morning the first Gulf Air rep came at transit desk. An abrupt announcement was made that the flights to Bahrain will be departing in next hours or so get your Boarding pass. The stranded passengers rushed to transit desk where two people were issuing new boarding pass. What a painful two hours, standing in the queue, with few staff working, boarding passes were issued. The flight to Bahrain left at around 10.00 am and reached around 11.00 am in Bahrain.
RouteDXB to LHR via BAH
Date FlownDecember 2016

"cheap tickets not worth it"

Verified Review | Dubai to London via Bahrain. Absolutely disgraceful, reached London a day later than expected. Flight from Dubai was nearly 15 hours late due to fog at Dubai Airport. Gulf air staff were totally lost with the whole situation and had no update on the correct time when the flight will be going. 1 McDonalds complimentary meal for the inconvenience caused. Reached bahrain to find out flight to London is further delayed. The 4.00am flight did not leave on time, they had to re-board all, re check and scan, although everyone had been through security. I reached London to find out that the baggage is missing. So had to return home with no bags. A horrendous experience, Gulf Air staff at Heathrow, Dubai and Bahrain were of no use. The cheap tickets are definitely not worth it.
RouteDXB to LHR via BAH
Date FlownDecember 2016

"most likely not use again"

Verified Review | The flight to Bangkok did make an overall good impression. Good food options for someone who picks a diabetic meal. However, due to poor weather conditions my flights (Bangkok to Bahrain and then to London) were all affected and dealt with with such a poor quality. I would have expected a much more organisation in Bahrain. When I came for my finally rescheduled flight after being redirected to land in Doha and having waited at the airport for 12 hours with the lack of airline staff and updates - no information was given only that we need to sit and wait at gate c13. Hours passed and we had to ourselves go and look all around the airport for any staff until when we found it to get no information. In Bahrain, I had my second leg rescheduled and when I arrived at the airport, that was delayed as well. In the airport there was no such flight on the screen. No crew members or customer service for economy passengers from the airline even though the airline is the airline of Bahrain. How is that? Sleeping at the airport for another 6 hours, with no information - on the board it says the flight has been rescheduled to 2.50, then for 5.20 but the time is already 6 in the morning. Then it has been changed to 5.20, after which no new information is given, and everyone is waiting with no crew member to come and explain or even give any information through the speakers. I do understand it is the weather which is out of control of the airline, but there should be organised crew to accommodate all the passengers for such unexpected events. At least someone to come and give us updates at least once an hour. Not leaving passengers with no signs of guidance for many hours of stress. Food is good. Air crew is exceptional. Ground crew is of unacceptable quality. I have been left with unpleasant feelings about the airline only from the way they have dealt with this situation and being under so much stress while looking for answers and being provided with no clear options of being offered accommodation or some other comfort while waiting for 12 hours in Doha. I will most likely not use their services again.
RouteBKK to LHR via BAH

"seemed clumsy at times"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Athens to Abu Dhabi via Bahrain. Thought we would give Gulf Air a try. Initially I was apprehensive as I thought the A320 would be too small for the Athens to Bahrain 3hr 50 min flight. Though a small aircraft the seating is very comfortable with a pillow and inflight entertainment on each seat, and plenty of leg room. The food provided was good enough so was the drink variety. The only slightly negative aspect is that the staff are lacking professionalism and seemed clumsy at times but apart from that a very good airline.
RouteATH to AUH via BAH