Gulf Air

"says flight is overbooked"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Bahrain to Chennai. I had a confirmed economy ticket and went to book my luggage at 1945 for a 2150 hrs departure flight. After a few taps on the keyboard the agent calls up in his intercom and asks for a confirmation. After 2 to 3 mins of refreshing the screeen he asks me to go over customer service and take my boarding pass. One piece of my baggage is on the scale, which the agent advises he will keep it. Over to the customer service another agent taps the keyboard for 3 mins and then informs me to "come back at 2100 hrs". I ask him the reason, he says flight is overbooked and though I have a confirmed ticket nothing can be done. The customer service agent then goes inside the office for further consultation and I see his supervisor shruggging his shoulders and dismissing the customer service agent. I demand for the boarding pass to be issued. I am then confronted by the Supervisor in the customer service asking me to vacate the area. I hold my stance and insist for the release of boarding pass. Then I am directed to another agent in the customer service who offers me Business Class for a whopping BD 150 extra, and thus my travel could be ensured. I meekly accept the option and BD 150 flies off my wallet, and I am already exhausted by the day long travel to Bahrain.
RouteBahrain to Chennai
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not the service you expect"

Verified Review | We have used Gulf Air regularly, however we will not be using them again - they have gone downhill fast. The planes are old, the staff were not at all friendly and more interested in talking to each other or sleeping then serving customers. The food was poor and tasteless. The last leg of the flight two under 3 years olds screamed constantly - no help or assistance was offered. No Sky Nanny. The inflight entertainment was pathetic, old films and little choice. Paying over £3200 for two business class tickets this is not the service you expect.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Bahrain

"Will never use again"

Verified Review | London to Colombo via Bahrain. Currently writing this review sat in Bahrain Airport as we are delayed for 6 hours after a 4 hour flight from Colombo. On the outgoing journey from London Heathrow to Colombo via Bahrain our luggage was left in Bahrain which meant no clothes for the first two days of our trip and additional money spent on taxis back to the airport to collect the luggage and also costs of clothes, suncream and insect protection for the two days. Unapologetic staff, terrible inflight entertainment and unhelpful staff at Bahrain airport. Will never use again.
RouteLondon to Colombo via Bahrain
Date FlownAugust 2017

"needs a lot of improvement"

Verified Review | London to Lahore via Bahrain in February. Service between London and Bahrain was fantastic but the service between Bahrain and Lahore was awful and needs a lot of improvement. The toilets were dirty, food was not up to the mark, staff was poor and the seats were dirty. In flight entertainment was not available. Gulf Air needs to provide equal services on all its routes.
RouteLondon to Lahore via Bahrain
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"pleasant and hospitable"

Verified Review | Chennai to Bahrain. Ground staff in Chennai Airport were particularly attentive knowing I was elderly and travelling alone. Cabin crew on board my flight were pleasant and hospitable. The breakfast I was served was not very nice taking into consideration it was a Business Class meal. The eggs were not to my liking, but I did enjoy the bakery and other condiments. The seats was not a flat bed but it was okay for a medium haul flight and the IFE could be improved.
RouteChennai to Bahrain
Date FlownJuly 2017

"legroom is really good"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Frankfurt via Bahrain in December 2016. Comparing longhaul economy class of Gulf Air with economy class of established airlines, Gulf Air can compete with those in terms of comfort and food. The only real letdown is the entertainment system. There is an IFE system installed but there should be a lot more variety. Nevertheless in my personal opinion seating comfort is worth more than having 200 movies available. The cabin on the A330s seems to be newly refurbished. Legroom on their A330s is as far as I can say bigger than on other airlines A330s. Bonus is the comfort on their A320s which they are using from BAH to FRA. Due to the fact that they are operating the A320 on its max range I guess the number of pax is limited. As a result those A320s seem to be kind of modified longhaul A320s with only a small number of seats in longhaul configuration. Therefore legroom is really good and the atmosphere is not as crowded as it is on other wide body economy flights.
RouteBKK to FRA via BAH
Date FlownDecember 2016

"prices are cheaper than Emirates"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Colombo to Dubai via Bahrain. I choose Gulf Air because it's ticket prices are cheaper than Emirates, Qatar, Srilankan or etc. Actually I wonder how they manage to maintain an airline like this. Because they have very few passengers for a flight. In flight entertainment is bad compared to Emirates. Food is good but very limited. All the facilities we have to ask for (blanket, extra juice). The airport facility also good, wifi/toilet facility are very good. I had 10hrs transit at Baharain and they give me meal card (wrote on boarding pass) so I can have lunch from sky lounge on 4th floor.
RouteColombo to Dubai via Bahrain
Date FlownJune 2017

"They were really ruthless"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Colombo via Bahrain. I was really upset that I decided to travel with Gulf Air even it was cheap. The ground staff in Frankfurt and Bahrain acted without any heart. They were really ruthless. They did not allow me to take my essential baby stuff to the flight. An even at that last stage, they had very bad customer care. In the flight, you will not get any blanket or pillow. This is first and last. Do not fly.
RouteFrankfurt to Colombo via Bahrain
Date FlownMarch 2017

"this airline was horrifying"

Verified Review | Our experience with this airline was horrifying to say the least. Not only that they had over 4.5 hours delay that they couldn't explain. This delay pushed us to miss our next flight to NY. The desk manager didn't make any effort to find us another flight to make our connection, and instead asked us to call the connecting airline to try to get in the next flight. Of course, the other airline was not willing to help since it wasn't their fault. When asked to speak to another manager, he wouldn't cooperate. This is the worst airline customer service we have ever seen! We have decided to take on the next flight and connect with another airline.
RouteBahrain to Dubai
Date FlownApril 2017

"managed to get me on onboard"

(Bahrain)

Unverified | Having seen a number of negative reviews, I was quite hesitant to book with Gulf Air. Flew from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi. I was delayed due to traffic and arrived 30 minutes before take off, I had bags to check and ran to the desk, the gentleman was pleasant, immediately called his manager and managed to get me on onboard the flight. Flight was on time and arrived early for this 50 minute hop. Crew were pleasant and water and sandwich handed out. Flight was smooth and the flight deck were engaging. Overall no better or worse than Etihad or Emirates, I would definitely use them again.
RouteBahrain to Abu Dhabi