Garuda Indonesia

"direct flight had been cancelled"

Trip Verified | I booked and paid for a direct flight from Manado to Denpasar in January 2018. then in April I got an automated mail that my direct flight had been cancelled and switched in a flight to Jakarta followed by a flight to DPS, adding almost 3 hours of extra travel. No apology, nothing. When I complained to Garuda, I didn’t get an answer to my mails. Garuda in the Netherlands answered after a considerable wait but just confirmed that by Indonesian law I needed to accept this. Garuda's response was unsatisfactory especially knowing that we paid a significantly higher price for the direct flight, have lots more travel time and now due to Garuda were late for meeting with our friends. because we were informed last minute, all other flight options from other airlines had already been booked so we were left with no alternative. Garuda send us 2 days in advance e ticket boarding cards for the direct flight which had been cancelled. when we complained on this the answer was that it was just a mistake. an airline which sends boarding cards for non existing, cancelled flights? From Manado to Jakarta (a 3 hour flight), the inflight entertainment system did not function no communication was made during the flight why this occured. The second flight I got a chair without a left armrest it was broken off meaning that the chair could not be reclined and the headphone sound didn’t work with the inflight entertainment system.
RouteManado to Denpasar via Jakarta
Date FlownMay 2018

"pay attention to small details"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | The meals on this sector were of 3 choices and they look pretty bland and standard. Salt and pepper not provided unless you asked cabin crew to provide and took them a long time to hand with a form of sachets which is weird as you fly business class and they don't pay attention to small matters like this. The cabin was really warm and could not sleep properly. Surprisingly cabin crew did not take notice of how warm the cabin until several passengers complained to them and we were almost approaching destination when the temperature started to cool down. The seats were comfortable, cabin was clean, the IFE is improved and Wifi as of strong. Cabin crew were friendly and chatty but I wish they could pay attention to small details that really matter as they start to lose its genuineness.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteJakarta to Jeddah
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"The flight was delayed"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Singapore. The flight was delayed and we ended up wWaiting for much longer then what was communicated. The gate moved across to the other side of the terminal at the last minute.
RouteJakarta to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2018

"delays and average service"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Jakarta. Garuda Indonesia is an airline that since couple years has been trying their best to become better, or so I heard. After many years I chose this airline again even though compared to cheap airlines this one costs more than double. And my experience is only delays and average service. The entertainment is quite good with some great movies. Food is average.
RouteSingapore to Jakarta
Date FlownApril 2018

"on the ground it is bad"

Trip Verified | London to Sydney via Jakarta. While the quality of the service in the air is good, on the ground it is bad. They outsource their ground staff at Heathrow to DNata, who couldn't care less. My wife was one kilo over in business class and the woman behind the counter was incredibly rude. They advertise business promo fares on their website as being refundable and changeable. If you attempt to change a flight, however, they advised me that the ticket is not changeable. No local office where you bought the ticket will help you, they will refer you to the Indonesian headquarters, which are full of staff reading off scripts and there is no escalation process to speak to anyone who can help. Our schedule changed four times from booking to takeoff, and their staff accidentally cancelled my frequent flyer account and refused to add back miles from my flights. The lounge in Jakarta has very little air conditioning so you sweat the whole time you're in transit, the food is bad, there was no alcohol and the seating is uncomfortable. The shower was too busy to use so you queue up, and they ran out of towels and gave me two face towels to dry myself.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Jakarta

"flight was excellent"

Trip Verified | Flew from London Heathrow to Jakarta on GA 087 April 17th and the check in process was very fast and efficient. The Garuda team at Heathrow had someone on hand to take me through Fast Track to the lounge. When it came time for boarding the ground support team were again on hand to escort me to the aircraft. There was a very good selection of food on board and Garuda also now send you a menu via e-mail should you like to pre-book meals. The prepared meal on-board was excellent both in presentation and taste. The flight arrived in Jakarta on schedule and Garuda had their ground support team on hand to help with immigration and baggage and they also laid on transport to take me to my home. The cabin crew were very attentive throughout the flight, which certainly warrants their 5 Star Rating. Additionally there was free complimentary Wi Fi on-board and the connectivity throughout the flight was excellent.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon Heathrow to Jakarta
Date FlownApril 2018

"The purser should set the standard"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | There were no real problems with this flight, however it amazes me that the male pursers seem not to be very engaged. I think the only words he said to me during the flight were welcome onboard, when I boarded the aircraft. The purser should set the standard. He (she) should come to each pax at the commencement of the flight and welcome them on board and/or thank each pax at the end of the flight. This particular flight was not full in business class and yet not once did a flight attendant mention me by name. The minimum would be use each pax name when they are taking meal orders. At one stage I was asked if I would like still or sparkling water, when I asked for soda water, I was informed that Garuda did not stock soda water so sparkling water was ok. Then I ordered some Chablis, again later in the flight when I asked for another glass of chablis, I was told that that there was none left. Again, not the end of the world, however as I mentioned earlier, the flight was not full in business class and there were quite a few children (who don't drink alcohol), so the amount uploaded seems to be insufficient. When dessert was served (it was supposed to be served with ice cream) I asked where the ice cream was and was informed that it wasn't uploaded. So a cold dry cake was not very palatable. As food the food itself. It wasn't horrible, but was not great. An amuse bouche with mashed tuna in a half piece of choux. Then minced salmon with over-cooked scallops, followed. And the main course of sea bass was a little dry.
AircraftA330-300
RouteDenpasar to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"professional and dedicated team"

Trip Verified | Flew from Jakarta to London on GA 86 April 12, 2018. Garuda had arranged a car to pick up me. Upon arrival at Jakarta Terminal 3 the Garuda First-Class ground support team were waiting for me. They helped check me in and, then took me through immigration and straight into the lounge. There was a very good selection of food and drinks in the lounge. When time came to board the flight the ground support team were again on hand to escort me to the aircraft. The aircraft left the gate on schedule and we took off 20 minutes later due air traffic. The service on-board was the normal Garuda 5 Star service and the food prepared was excellent. There was free complimentary Wi-Fi onboard and the connection for the flight duration was excellent. We landed at Heathrow Terminal-3 one hour late due to strong head winds. I had a connecting flight from Heathrow Terminal-5 and I was afraid that I would miss my flight and have to spend one night at Heathrow. however the Captain had already contacted the Garuda team in Heathrow and they had arranged for one of their support team members at Heathrow Terminal-3 to escort me all the way through to my connecting flight gate in Heathrow Terminal-5. Furthermore they took my luggage from the plane and had directly taken to my connecting flight. This was Garuda Indonesia at its best i.e. Captain onboard calling ahead requesting the ground team to arrange assistance to ensure that I did not miss my connecting flight. I must say a big thank you to the Garuda Captain and the Garuda Heathrow support team, they certainly pulled out all the stops to ensure that I did not miss my connecting flight. This is the sign of a very professional and dedicated team both in the air and on the ground.
AircraftBoeing 777-300-ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteJakarta to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2018

"in-flight services very good"

Trip Verified | Flew from Singapore to Jakarta on April 7th on the 07:25 flight. The check in process was straight forward, however very formal no smiles. Garuda Indonesia uses the Dnata lounge in Singapore Airport T3. The lounge itself is good and has a broad selection of food and drinks. We had to take a bus to board the plane as it was parked far away from the terminal, however the boarding was orderly and was carried out very efficiently. The flight took off on time and the in-flight services was very good and what I come to expect from Garuda Indonesia.
RouteSingapore to Jakarta
Date FlownApril 2018

"cabin crew are just wonderful"

Trip Verified | Flew Garuda Indonesia from Melbourne to London Heathrow via Jakarta. The service from the time you check in to your arrival at your destination is first class. The ground staff and the cabin crew are just wonderful. They go an extra mile to please the customer. Champagne is served as soon as one boards the aircraft. Quality wine, in my case Red Wine was superb and I could have had it as many times as I requested it. The food was enjoyable and served on demand. The lie flat bed in each aircraft was good. The only complaint I have is the selection of movies on the inflight entertainment system. I will definitely fly them next time when I visit Melbourne. Excellent Airline.
AircraftAirbus and Boeing 777-300ER