Flybe

"not use this airline again"

Verified Review | Milan to Manchester. A policy I was not aware of. I booked a return ticket from Manchester to Milan. I missed my outgoing flight due to a work commitment and they automatically deleted my return flight from their system (leaving my husband to travel back alone) without informing me. They had decided I would not be flying back even though I had booked and paid for the seat! Fortunately I managed to get on the flight back eventually but would not have done if the seats had all been sold. I am now sitting on the runway still waiting to take off and it is already an hour late leaving. I would not use this airline again.
RouteMilan to Manchester
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"such consistent delays"

Verified Review | Southampton to Amsterdam. I turned up to my flight early enough to see the other same earlier flight service was still waiting to board, but was told it was too late to swap even though there was also a delay of around half an hour on it. This seemed purely beaurocratic since i had already passed all the checks/check points and was right at the gate. My friends who happened to be on this flight then wound up stuck on the runway for another 40 minutes waiting for some moderate rain to pass. On the other hand my flight, the next one, didn't even turn up as supposedly it was diverted to another airport entirely. I was stuck in the airport for over an hour whilst they scrambled a replacement aircraft and when they finally had a plane to put us in they couldn't get it a take off slot and we were predicted to be stuck in the stuffy cabin for another hour. Though our consolation was that we did eventually got bumped up the queue. Then further issues with this same airline occurred with the flight back, 3 days later. With no explanation we were delayed over 90 minutes. I fly around 6 times a year and have never experienced such consistent delays with such a service before. I went with Flybe because of the convenience of operating at a closer airport than the usual and that it was cheaper. But the convenience and cost value were short lived to say the least. The pilot of my first flight was apologetic about the circumstances, but that doesn't absolve such a poor service for multiple flights.
RouteSouthampton to Amsterdam

"amateur and unprofessional"

Verified Review | Malaga to Exeter. Late night flight delayed by over 2 hours in the usual flybe style, landing into Exeter at about 01.25. This was not a weather delay, not ATC delay, not a technical delay, but caused by Flybe's operational inability to maintain the overscheduled use of their planes. They are a shoddy outfit, run in an amateur and unprofessional manner and if you want a reliable airline please avoid them. No apology was made by crew for the delay, I assume it happens so much that they don't even notice any more. They seem to think that we the customers should be grateful that they flew late at night, rather than clocking off and going home. The plane, an Embraer 195, was filthy when we boarded and moving towards being a health risk.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteMalaga to Exeter

"They lie to customers"

Verified Review | Norwich to Malaga, 14th August. Flight kept on getting delayed and delayed, called flybe early on and was lied to blatantly. I knew the aircraft was delayed into Exeter from where it was coming to Norwich before going to Malaga. The flybe staff told me that was not true, and delay was caused by ATC. Onboard the flight we were lied to by the Capt that delay was due to weather earlier in the day. I see flybe had a new CEO (ex Cityjet and remember how delayed and unreliable they are!) since earlier this year, and it seems her skills at helping an airline become more and more unreliable are working well - maybe she can finally destroy this airline! The only benefit was that they fly from regional airports, but flybe are possibly the most unreliable and untrustworthy airline around. KLM will be my future choice. For your sanity, you should avoid flybe. They lie to customers without apparently the slightest qualm.
RouteNorwich to Malaga
Date FlownAugust 2017

"airline has incompetent management"

Verified Review | Exeter to Malaga. Yet another departure delay of 1 hour plus, not a word from check in staff. Whilst the alternative is the dreaded BA from Gatwick, after using flybe many times on this route with endless delays, this is the last straw. This airline has totally incompetent management and operations dept, and its no wonder they continue to lose money. Exeter is their home base airport and the service is unbelievably awful and amateur. You should avoid flybe whatever your reasons may be to consider their secondary routes, the risks are too high, and the staff don't care a jot.
RouteExeter to Malaga
Date FlownAugust 2017

"this complaint was common"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Amsterdam. Firstly when booking ticket online when I clicked to pay price of flight increased, no breakdown of increase given. Had to contact them afterwards to find out which leg had increased in price. I had to continue with booking as nephew had just booked his flight on a different airline. Made a complaint 30 June still no reply. Both flights had over a 2 hour delay due to technical faults. In Birmingham plane had to turn back because of fault. Left sitting on plane, then told us we were going by bus to terminal but just left standing on the bus waiting for replacement plane to come in. Delays in Amsterdam were not updated regularly and announcements of expected delay were incorrect, had to check details of the inbound flight for accurate information. Also watch their cabin bag policy the size was reduced from 55x40x23 to 55x35x20. My bag is 40 cm wide and acceptable on the vast majority of airlines but not Flybe cost be 54 Euros when flying back. It fitted easily in the overhead luggage compartment going out. Wife said I should have put luggage in a carrier bag and left case behind it would have cost me less. When I complained to Flybe advisor agreed this complaint was common. Before you get through you are fed a recorded message saying they set their cabin bag sizes for passenger safety and prompt departures, when you are put on hold during the call the same message is played to you. It is just a way to rip of customers. When at boarding gate people had cabin baggage much larger than mine and were allowed to take on board which does not seem fair to me. I travel regularly and have never had a problem with my hand luggage size and only weighed 8kg. This was my fourth Flybe flight. If I were to use Flybe again I would have to purchase more luggage. Why would I bother?
AircraftQ400
RouteBirmingham to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2017

"this was a very eye opening experience"

Verified Review | If you're thinking about booking a flight with Flybe, consider yourself warned. Today I was a customer on a Cardiff to Dublin Flybe flight. When I tell you that this was the absolute worst flight experience that I have ever had, I want you to know, that I am not even remotely exaggerating. As a tourism management student, my education over the past 3 years has been dedicated to understanding the proper (and improper) ways to deal with incidents in the tourism industry. So, this was a very eye opening experience. Observing how Flybe handled the massive crowd of confused, worried and frustrated customers was disappointing and honestly really shocking. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 3.50pm local time and land in Dublin at 4.50pm. The flight took off at 7pm. Yes, delays happen and it could have been a lot worse. But my complaint has very little to do with the waiting period and a lot to do with how poorly the waiting period was handled. From what broken up gossip I could gather from around the airport waiting area, last minute, Flybe decided to give the originally scheduled aircraft away without finding an aircraft to replace it with. But absolutely no solid information was presented to any of us. Along with a lack of information, the only compensation presented was a voucher for a drink after about six hours (assuming you came at the proper check in time). As a budget traveller, being stuck in the airport for 6+ hours and eating overpriced, unappetizing, airport food was not in my budget, but with no other options, I was forced to do so. Roughly an hour into waiting, people's names started being called over the intercom and we were told that the names represented the people who were being kicked off the plane because the new plane they found for us was 25 people short of the original aircraft. Suddenly the waiting area became full of people shouting out their holiday plans angrily and the airport became chaos. We were told about 3 times that the plane was about to land for a period of 3 hours (so clearly, a lie). Because information was poorly distributed, people became nasty. The disrespect and anger showed in Cardiff airport today was nothing but a product of poor customer service, organization and professionalism on Flybe's part. I think I speak on a majority of my fellow flightmates this afternoon when I say, based on today's experience we will not be returning Flybe customers. The first two things you learn in marketing for tourism is that 1) Word of mouth marketing is incredibly important for this industry, and there will be tens of people that will go on to speak of this horrible experience and Flybe will lose customers and it WILL hurt their reputation. 2) The best way to recover a bad experience is to be apologetic, and to compensate people for their losses which actually often leaves customers happier and more willing to return! (which was absolutely not the case). I would like to mention that the pilot and flight attendants were nothing but lovely and we're also frustrated as they had to unexpectedly come down from Birmingham to fly us. Their professionalism is no reflection of Flybe as a company. Curious as to why, and who's call it was to make the decision to give away paying customers transportation.
RouteCardiff to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2017

"their service is atrocious"

Verified Review | Nantes to Manchester. This is my first time flying with this company and their service is atrocious, they do not pass on any information on our delay. No updates, No one around to help. After demanding information one person showed up with only a new departure time, no vouchers or information on how to get vouchers. So now you passengers walking around with no clue as to how to get anything. I understand that low budget airlines margins are small but it should not affect affect passengers. We will see if I actually get to my destination not very confident. I most probably will not use them ever again.
RouteNantes to Manchester
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the service like a bus "

Verified Review | Malaga to Exeter. The fourth time I have flown with them on this route in past 3 months. Airport check in at Malaga still a disaster and only ever 1 counter open for most of the time, and long queues. It is a basic seat only flight and buy onboard is very uninspiring and lacks choice. Coffee to purchase was okay and cannot complain. No interaction with cabin staff, and they really treat the service like a bus or train and customers do not really exist. This flight wasn't that cheap but route worked for me. And for once, the notoriously delayed flybe was almost on time!
RouteMalaga to Exeter

"totally unacceptable"

Verified Review | Southampton to Aberdeen via Manchester. My flight was delayed from 18.40 to 22.50 this meant I missed my connection to Aberdeen, there was very little communication but eventually I managed to find out they had booked me a hotel in Manchester (Crowne Plaza). I asked what I should do when I arrived in Manchester and I was advised by the desk agent that I was not the only one and someone would be there to meet us - no one there when we arrived at midnight, 3 of us walked round the airport looking for help and no one could be found. Eventually a lady at the taxi desk tried to assist and was the only helpful person, I got to the hotel (not booked in my name) at 1am and left again at 5am to go back to the airport, finally arriving in Aberdeen at 8.35am (10 hours late). All I got was a £7.50 food voucher, totally unacceptable.
AircraftDash 8