Flybe

"totally unacceptable"

Verified Review | Southampton to Aberdeen via Manchester. My flight was delayed from 18.40 to 22.50 this meant I missed my connection to Aberdeen, there was very little communication but eventually I managed to find out they had booked me a hotel in Manchester (Crowne Plaza). I asked what I should do when I arrived in Manchester and I was advised by the desk agent that I was not the only one and someone would be there to meet us - no one there when we arrived at midnight, 3 of us walked round the airport looking for help and no one could be found. Eventually a lady at the taxi desk tried to assist and was the only helpful person, I got to the hotel (not booked in my name) at 1am and left again at 5am to go back to the airport, finally arriving in Aberdeen at 8.35am (10 hours late). All I got was a £7.50 food voucher, totally unacceptable.
AircraftDash 8
RouteSouthampton to Aberdeen via Manchester
Date FlownJuly 2017

"waiting for another crew"

Verified Review | Southampton to Malaga return. First time I have flown with flybe. Outbound flight was fine, nice crew, good service and seat. On the return it was a different matter. Flybe are not good at keeping passengers up to date with delays. We get to the gate at Malaga well before departure, showing on time, then looked online to find the flight had not left Southampton, but was waiting for another crew from Birmingham. Surely if the company see there may be a delay, they can be more forward thinking in getting another crew ready. Ended up with over a 2hr delay going back.
AircraftE195
RouteMalaga to Southampton
Date FlownJuly 2017

"we will get there 6 hours late"

Verified Review | It is not a good idea take Flybe unless you don't have anything to do. I have a tour booked for tomorrow morning and it seems we will get there 6 hours late. They postponed the flight from Edinburgh to Cardiff at the begining only 1 hour, the second time 2 hours and now they say they will fly to Birmingham and then drive us to Cardiff but they don't know what time. There is nobody from the airline that we can speak to.
RouteEdinburgh to Cardiff
Date FlownJuly 2017

"it was a good value trip"

Verified Review | Liverpool to Isle of Man on 6 July, an 8:35am departure. Check-in was easy as no one was in line and the agent was friendly. Boarded from the tarmac onto our ATR-72 operated by Stobart air for Flybe. Seating was comfortable and plenty of knee-room. Male FA was friendly but worked in the back - I was up towards the front and the female FA there was very personable talking with passengers. Departed on-time. Drink was served and not much time for anything else. Landed on time and bag was retrieved quickly. Overall for the fare (US$60) I felt it was a good value trip.
AircraftATR-72
RouteLiverpool to Isle of Man
Date FlownJuly 2017

"this is a very bad airline"

Verified Review | Birmingham to Jersey. The usual Fly maybe, it's late, we are told it's forty minutes late but it's hours late, this happens all the time. Combined with no gate Intel followed suddenly by last call etc, I have lost count of how often this happens, an absence of preventative maintenance so they cannot take off, not enough crew so they need to fly one in, had a four hour wait in Düsseldorf we were totally abandoned for hours then sent to the wrong place, this is a very bad airline.
RouteBirmingham to Jersey
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Hidden charges an art form"

Verified Review | Birmingham to La Rochelle. I have travelled for many years on Flybe both on Domestic and European routes, but probably now for the last time. Hidden charges have long been a problem with low cost airlines but Flybe have turned it into an art form. In the early days I was caught out by the pre-booked seat angle. When you book online they offer you a specific seat, if more than one is travelling these seats will be together. You are then asked if you wish to accept the seat you have been allocated, if you then accept the allocated seat you are deemed to have pre-booked your seat and there is a charge for this. If you do not accept the seat offered to you there is no charge but you may not be seated together. As I have said I have long been aware of this and as Flybe flights are generally very short haul I prefer to save my money. Like many I take on board hand luggage and have bought bags specifically designed as Cabin Bags to be accepted as Hand Luggage on 'most' airlines and Flybe was no exception to this and they have been accepted for several years. However this year after checking-in online, the evening before our flight, I just happened to double check. Lucky I did. The specification for a bag to be accepted as hand luggage has been reduced! for a bag to be carried onboard it now must be no bigger than 55x35x20cm, which means almost all bags specifically sold as hand luggage are no longer accepted by Flybe in the cabin, even though they fit comfortably in the overhead lockers. In fact the luggage advertised on the inside cover of Flybe's own inflight magazine 'Flight Time' as Cabin Size Bags no not comply with their own regulations. When I contacted Flybe to explain the bags I intended to take onboard were 50x37x20cm to, ask if they would be accepted, I was told the new regulation size would be strictly enforced and if I had not checked them into the hold at a cost of £22 each (which I hadn't) I would be charged £40 to check them in at the airport check-in desk or £50 to have them put in the hold at the Gate, if I had checked-in online (which I had). I was then faced with the unnecessary task of unpacking our nice matching previously approved luggage and putting our belongings into 'bag for life' shopping bags and carrying them through the airports or paying £100 for two bags to be stowed in the hold at the gate. I decided to face the embarrassment and save the money. Next Flight is on easyJet where they accept cabin bags up to 56x45x25cm. Although Flybe have given me various reasons why the rules regarding hand luggage have been changed, "to better balance the aircraft", "for the convenience of our passengers" etc, I found all the reasons given were flawed as there was previously no problem on the same aircraft. The true reason is obvious to me. To get more money out of you by getting you to check in bags that can quite easily by carried on as hand luggage.
AircraftEmbraer 175
RouteBirmingham to La Rochelle
Date FlownJune 2017

"decided to face the embarrassment and save money"

Verified Review | Flew from Birmingham to La Rochelle. I have travelled for many years on Flybe both on Domestic and European routes, but probably now for the last time. Hidden charges have long been a problem with low cost airlines but Flybe have turned it into an art form. In the early days I was caught out by the pre-booked seat angle. When you book online they offer you a specific seat, if more than one is travelling these seats will be together. You are then asked if you wish to accept the seat you have been allocated, if you then accept the allocated seat you are deemed to have pre-booked your seat and there is a charge for this. If you do not accept the seat offered to you there is no charge but you may not be seated together. As I have said I have long been aware of this and as Flybe flights are generally very short haul I prefer to save my money. Like many I take on board hand luggage and have bought bags specifically designed as Cabin Bags to be accepted as Hand Luggage on 'most' airlines and Flybe was no exception to this and they have been accepted for several years. However this year after checking-in online, the evening before our flight, I just happened to double check. Lucky I did. The specification for a bag to be accepted as hand luggage has been reduced! For a bag to be carried onboard it now must be no bigger than 55x35x20cm, which means almost all bags specifically sold as hand luggage are no longer accepted by Flybe in the cabin, even though they fit comfortably in the overhead lockers. In fact the luggage advertised on the inside cover of Flybe's own inflight magazine 'Flight Time' as Cabin Size Bags no not comply with their own regulations. When I contacted Flybe to explain the bags I intended to take onboard were 50x37x20cm to, ask if they would be accepted, I was told the new regulation size would be strictly enforced and if I had not checked them into the hold at a cost of £22 each (which I hadn't) I would be charged £40 to check them in at the airport check-in desk or £50 to have them put in the hold at the Gate, if I had checked-in online (which I had). I was then faced with the unnecessary task of unpacking our nice matching previously approved luggage and putting our belongings into 'bag for life' shopping bags and carrying them through the airports or paying £100 for two bags to be stowed in the hold at the gate. I decided to face the embarrassment and save the money. Next Flight is on easyJet where they accept cabin bags up to 56x45x25cm. Although Flybe have given me various reasons why the rules regarding hand luggage have been changed, "to better balance the aircraft" " for the convenience of our passengers" etc, I found all the reasons given were flawed as there was previously no problem on the same aircraft. The true reason is obvious to me. To get more money out of you by getting you to check in bags that can quite easily by carried on as hand luggage.
AircraftEmbraer 175
RouteBirmingham to La Rochelle

"first class experience"

Verified Review | First class experience with Flybe as usual from Southampton to Alicante. Slightly late leaving Southampton but well explained by captain and made up most of the time en route. Crew very friendly and warm. Great selection of food and drink available, quite pricey but no more than any other airline. The seats on this particular aircraft were comfy, people were even commenting on it while waiting for passport control. Flybe are definetly a cut above the other low cost airlines, will definetly use again
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteSouthampton to Alicante
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Very poor customer service"

Verified Review | Manchester to Paris. Very poor customer service. Appalling advice and amendment costs. I booked for my daughter and her husband as a joint birthday present for a weekend in Paris. I was to look after their son, my grandson, while they were away. I had booked a nice hotel for them for two nights. I paid extra for a flexible ticket, just in case of necessary or preferential changes. In fairness here, I will point out that my daughters passport was in her maiden name, which I did get changed by providing copies of her marriage certificate and passport. The night before the flight my son in law broke his wrist badly and was in hospital, requiring an operation. We all discussed the various options. I rang Flybe and was advised - £50 to change the names per ticket, per flight so two tickets two flights £200 (I thought this was a lot of money since I had paid for a flexible ticket and the original flight hadn't cost much more, or book random flight in the future, and change it again, if necessary, but I'd have to pay any difference in flight cost. Put the tickets on hold for 12 months from the booking date and can rebook the flight again subject to any difference in flight cost. I rechecked the options to make sure I had them correct. I then checked with the family and agreed that I would go instead with my grandson and pay the £200 name changes as the hotel had already been booked and paid for. So I rang to make the arrangements. No, I would also have to meet the difference in flight cost so that will be £600! I rebooked through another airline (EasyJet) at half the cost, but could only fly Saturday morning and wasted one of the nights booked at the hotel. I held open the original tickets, but I'm not sure they will now be used. Flybe had two empty seats for the original flight and maybe two more for a future booking, but they now have many more than that number of disappointed customers.
RouteManchester to Paris

"Flybe is a disgrace"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Exeter via Manchester. Flybe is a disgrace. Three and a half hour delay (never explained) meant that I missed my connection, and had to stay overnight in Manchester. Flybe is often late. But then, this time much worse was to follow. Rather than a hotel near the airport (which I know had cheap rooms free) we were sent off all the way to the city centre. A very long wait for the taxi. Then we were taken to the wrong hotel, it is almost as of they were doing everything possible to make the situation even worse.
RouteDusseldorf to Exeter via Manchester