Fly540.com

"Excellent airline"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Flew Nairobi to Zanzibar with Fly540.com. Excellent airline. Flights are prompt arriving and take off is to the minute on time. Ground staff are helpful as are the cabin crew. Planes are clean and appear well maintained. Baggage arrives with the passengers. A good way to fly locally in E Africa.
RouteNairobi to Zanzibar
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"shame on you Fly 540"

Trip Verified | Kisumu to Nairobi. It was my first time to fly with 540. I arrived relatively early for my flight because I was travelling with a toddler. The check in Counter in Kisumu was not yet open so I had to wait almost an hour which was not a Problem. Finally I saw that the Check in was open and decided to check in. I had two 20kg bags. One for me and another for my son because he had his own seat. Shock on me when i went they told me my son has excess baggage. How was this possible when I checked and rechecked on their Website and confirmed that the allowance for him is also 20kg. Then the guy who was checking me in even confirmed with his colleague that the allowance for my child is only 10Kg. After much arguing he gave up and took my bags. Later at the waiting Lounge I Googled and confirmed that he also has 20kg like me. shame on you Fly 540. Your employees are scammers and will try to get whatever they can from customers. if they had found some inexperienced customers who dont know the rules they would have duped him. Then add to the fact that the flight had an almost 2 hour delay with no communication whatsoever from you. And no apology . Will never fly 540. Was the first time and definitely the last.
RouteKisumu to Nairobi
Date FlownMay 2018

"Avoid them at any cost"

Trip Verified | I have never used an airline with a worse customer service, or on schedule departure than fly540, especially the managers and customer service in Juba and in Nairobi. Just today, December 25th 2017, I was scheduled to travel to Nairobi from Juba, South Sudan and got to the airport 1 hour and 45 before departure time, to be told the flight is full and the manager and check-in agent told me that my seat has been sold to another customer who was at the check-in desk before me. This is the airline that never departs on time and passengers have sit for hours (min 1.5 hours) in waiting area for the airline to arrive. I bought my ticket (round trip) 3 months in advance. fly540 is the absolute worst airline that you wished you had used their flights, airlines, come into contact with their rude and unprofessional staff. I will never use them again. Avoid them at any cost.
RouteNairobi to Juba
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worst airline I have ever used"

Trip Verified | Nairobi to Eldoret. This is by far the worst airline I have ever used in my life of 65 years of international travel for three reasons. The terminal managers deliberately withheld information from all passengers as to the fact that the flights were delayed, and how long the delays would be, making it impossible for the passengers to call ahead and make new arrangements for their appointments and ground transportation, just because they were embarrassed to admit the delay in the first place. The delays were very very long and endemic (1.5 hours, 1.15 hours) although the itineraries were very short (30 min., 45 min. flights) to near in-country destinations; and the "flexi plus" fare, which is higher than other tickets, was supposed to afford the ability to change reservations according to advertising without an extra charge; however, when I changed one flight by a few hours, I was charged extra for a "new reservation fee" and "new E ticket fee" and was directed to the "fine print". The terminal managers continually lied to all of the passengers about the fact of delays while, all the time, continuing to post on the monitors that the flights were "on time" even when the time had passed. They also fabricated delay estimates in 10 min intervals when pressured to tell us how long the delay would be, with very long explanations of where the plane was, why it hasn't arrived, and the fact that no one anywhere in the organization had any estimates as to the delayed departure times or whether we would ever depart. This act of deliberate rudeness enraged many passengers who vowed never to ride this airline again. There are two other airlines in Kenya to choose from, one of which has an excellent reputation and has airplanes painted like giraffes. I chose this airline because it seemed to be convenient to book online. A big mistake. You can book online with the other airlines too, and they are responsive by telephone for reservations and changes.
AircraftDash 8 / Canadair
RouteNairobi to Eldoret
Date FlownNovember 2017

"excellent little airline"

(Kenya)

Verified Review | I fly Fly540 regularly between Mombasa and Nairobi and have nothing but good things to say about the product and service. The airline is a low-cost carrier operating within Kenya and to a number of points outside, such as Zanzibar and Juba. Nairobi to Mombasa is usually operated by a Canadair aircraft. I choose to fly Fly540 because it is cheaper than the other carriers on the routes I travel, the terminal they use in Nairobi is far easier to use and their punctuality has always been excellent. Check in in Nairobi is a dream as it is handled in the new Terminal which is almost always empty. Security takes around 5 minutes and then you check in, in the big open terminal. This terminal was built as a temporary structure, but I think is here to stay. After check-in there is a further security checkpoint before you enter the departure lounge. Here there is a very small premium lounge (accessible by payment or Priority Pass etc.) an a larger open boarding gate area. There is a small café selling cold and hot drinks and some basic food items but no shops. The info screens above the gate have never shown the correct flight information at any time I have flown. Staff are unfortunately very uncommunicative here which is a problem if you want to get information from them, this is not the case with the Mombasa staff who seem much more customer-friendly. Boarding is usually started about 15 mins prior to departure through one of the gates and you normally walk to your aircraft. Cabins look worn, but not dirty. There is always a complimentary beverage service (tea, coffee, water or type of soda) and a biscuit (more than you get on BA or many of the European legacy airlines, let alone low cost!). The in-flight magazine is a good read. Flights has always arrived pretty much on schedule and I have never had problems with baggage (damage or loss). An excellent little airline which performs well above it's low-cost price tag. Fly540 unfortunately do not have any form of frequent flyer reward program.
AircraftCanadair CL-600
RouteNairobi to Mombasa
Date FlownMay 2017

"oblivious to their clientele"

(Kenya)

Nairobi Wilson to Lamu, and on the day of my flight a VIP was to arrive at Nairobi Wilson Airport which translated to airport and fly540 staff scattered all over the place and oblivious to their clientele sitting at departures : no one to advise on time of departure, or worse in this case how to check in for your flight. Waiting patiently you soon learn that when flying from Wilson Airport that you must go to the fly540 offices 2 kilometres away at Langata house - a critical piece of information inconveniently left out when booking at their town offices. The rush to make a sale on account of my money and time At their officees in Langata house, they advised that it was too late to board and that for a fee I could have my ticket changed. This is where good faith in business starts to wear thin, going back and forth on why I should have read the small print that says where we should obtain our boarding passes (that's like telling someone to check the ingredients when you go to the restaurant), obtaining a ticket has still been problematic.
RouteWIL to LAU
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"flights reasonably on time"

2 short flights Nairobi - Eldoret return, in a modern newish jet. Flights reasonably on time, and comfortable. Satisfactory ground staff and flight crew for low cost airline. Soft drink and biscuits served.
AircraftCanadair Regional Jet
RouteNairobi to Eldoret
Date FlownOctober 2015

(South Sudan)

Flew Fly540 from Juba to Nairobi and back. The aircraft's used were not from Fly540's own fleet but chartered. They were very old and dirty one smelt extremely bad. Thankfully nothing happened but I did not feel safe and I will not fly them again.
Seat Comfort N/A
Cabin Staff Service N/A
Value For Money N/A

Fly540.com customer review

Flew Fly540 from Zanzibar to Mombasa and Mombasa to Nairobi. Overall the service was prompt and efficient. For a "budget airline" they gave much better service than some of the other airlines we flew on in Africa.
Seat Comfort N/A
Cabin Staff Service N/A
Value For Money N/A

(Japan)

Accra to Kumasi in Ghana with Fly540Africa in February whilst on a business trip in Ghana. I have flown low cost airlines in Europe before so had pretty low expectations. However - I found that booking a flight was easy via their website and also staff were friendly and helpful. It was a short flight so no food to comment on the seats were pretty comfortable and although I am admittedly not very tall there was a comfortable amount of leg room. I would not hesitate to use Fly540 Africa again.