Airline of the Year

Finnair

"an excellent experience"

Verified Review | Oslo to New York JFK via Helsinki with Finnair was an excellent experience. First leg with A319. On time departure and arrival. Good seat comfort and pitch. Rather simple breakfast, but ok. Transfer and boarder control in Helsinki very easy and fast. Having oneworld Emerald status, I was able to use the Finnair's Premium Lounge, which is airy, spacious, with real good food. Only minus, as well on the planes, is the Nicolas Feuillatte champagne, which is not a favorite of mine. The other wine choice small but nice. Second leg on a A330-300, seat 2A. Seat has plenty of space and is for a single traveller one of the best. Only the foodspace in fully flat position is a little narrow. Service and food excellent, better than with many European competitors. Little late departure, but 30 minutes early arrival in New York. Would fly any time again with them.
AircraftA319 / A330-300
RouteOslo to New York JFK via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2017

"really enjoyed my experience"

Verified Review | Helsinki to London Heathrow. This was a Finnair plus upgrade flight. It is 10000 points for an intra European upgrade, so not to difficult to achieve, you could buy 10000 points for 120 euros if you are a finnair plus member. Most passengers on the flight seemed to be transferring from flights from Asia. The lounge in Helsinki (non - schengen area) has a sauna and shower area. Bit odd as it is unisex but I had the whole place to myself (after 6pm it is quiet). Fairly good range of food, drinks etc in the nearly empty lounge. Of particular interest was the finnish bread. It took a while for the plane to load and get airborne but once we did the service was good. Newspapers offered. Two different types of champagne. Good meal, salmon, bread, veg, berry pie for desert. Flight attendants very friendly and attentive, more drinks freely available. V nice Ittala glasses and cutlery. I think the economy seats are a non issue on a short flight like this because the middle seat is kept free, therefore you can work etc in privacy and have a bit more legroom. I understand that this is the norm on European business class flights. I really enjoyed my experience flying Finnair business class which was significantly better than economy class or a low cost airline. In my own view, it makes flying something to look forward to. It is worth paying about 120 Euros, I would say. What would be nice by way of improvement is if drinks could be offered before take off and a choice of food. I think there is a way of ordering the meal online, but you are not prompted to when you check in online.
RouteHelsinki to London Heathrow
Date FlownMay 2017

"they held the ongoing flight"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Helsinki. First time on Finnair and they show BA how to do a lower cost model without angering customers. Amazing how when you have to pay for food in economy still offering free tea and coffee or blueberry juice. You can preorder a meal, which we did for our kid. The food was ok and along with the blueberry juice clearly Finnish. But the great thing was that we had a tight connection - 45 minutes - and even with the plane an hour late in taking off from Heathrow, having made up most of the time they held the ongoing flight. And Helsinki airport is a dream to change planes at. The crew were nice. For economy seats there was decent legroom, seat recline and comfort. I should also add that the call centre in Finland sorted a booking problem where we couldn't check in our infant son even though we bought a seat for him quickly and efficiently.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2017

"going down more and more"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Nagoya to Milan via Helsinki. I have been flying very often with Finnair lately. I have always found kind and thoughtful staff, maybe a little cold because of the Finnish character, comfortable seats. The entertainment on the edge, too many prehistoric films we say, very little news. In my Last flight they have put new advertising videos for on-board shopping, overly long and boring and I could not turn off the obsolete monitor (to be renewed with more wider). The level of food we're getting is going down more and more. The snacks while flying just pretzel and chocolates, juices, coffee and tea.
RouteNagoya to Milan via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2017

"typical Finnish without too much smiles"

Verified Review | New York to Kuusamo via Helsinki. I was connecting from Montreal, where I already had received all boarding passes. My Finnair experience started in AA Admirals Club at JFK. It was nice, comfortable, and drinks and food were fine for my taste. Free WiFi. It had been renovated since my last visit few years ago. Boarding for Helsinki was done by groups. Plane was 7.2 years old Airbus A330 (OH-LTT). My seat and its surroundings were dirty, and wear and tear could be seen. Armrests and handset console looked disgustingly dirty. Champagne, water and juice were served as welcome drink. Finnair uses cool Finnish design glassware called Ultima Thule made by Iittala. Amenity kit, slippers (cool Marimekkko ones), pillow, blanket and water bottle were already on my seat. Take off delayed about 50 minutes cause of heavy traffic. Wine selection was good/decent and versatile. As a champagne lover, Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Grande Reserve was boring. Menu selection sounded much better than it actually was. Seared Cod was tasteless and presentation poor. Seat adjustments were limited and seat very narrow, especially for sleeping. Entertainment selection was ok, offering some nice new releases. Screen resolution poor and size small compared to new aircrafts. Best part was the free WiFi. I surprised some people sending them pics from the plane. Easy connectivity, and speed was fine for emails and WhatsApp chats. Breakfast was disappointment. Bakery fresh Bagel was hard and ice cold. Service correct, typical Finnish without too much smiles by older air hostesses. Arrival in Helsinki 15 minutes delayed. No additional security check, so I was quickly in the Finnair lounge. Flight to Kuusamo smooth, uneventful and arrival 15 minutes earlier than scheduled. My suitcase was first off the belt. Finnair offers correct, no “bells and whistles” product and service. A330 feels old and used.
AircraftA330-300 / A320
RouteNew York to Kuusamo via Helsinki

"a scandal, never again"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Oulu via Helsinki. Finnair delayed departure from Amsterdam. Missed the connection in Helsinki to Oulu. 45 minutes connecting time simply wasn't enough. Pushed on to an airplane to Rovaniemi, which was also delayed for 30 minutes, and then more than 3 hours in a bus to Oulu. During the whole delayed travel circa 5 hours extra, we were offered no drink and no food. We were pushed like cattle from 16:00 to 22:00 in planes and a bus without drinks and food, just to stay under 5 hours delay. So cheap of Finnair, while we paid 900 Euro per ticket. Finnair is a scandal, never again.
RouteAmsterdam to Oulu via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2017

"some good food and drinks"

(Hong Kong)

Unverified | Fast boarding and take off flying Finnair from Stockholm Arlanda to Helsinki. Drink on this short flight, friendly crew. Lots of leg room. Return used lounge at Helsinki. Great layout and some good food and drinks, no vodka though! Slight delay due to small fault but we were kept informed. Bags off very fast in Arlanda. Nordic efficiency. Crew both ways pleasant and polite.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteStockholm to Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2017

"poor food choices onboard"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Flew Helsinki to Delhi with Finnair. Since the check-in at Helsinki airport the experience was not at level which could be expected. Rude check-in staff, poor food choices onboard and the "breakfast" was a joke. The flight attendants did a good job, but in general Finnair seems to have a lot to catching up to do other airlines with their product. The onboard movie selection was poor. Not worth paying the extra for business class product. On European routes the airline has become low cost carrier as well, unfortunately.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHelsinki to Delhi
Date FlownApril 2017

"Helsinki-Madrid sector was awful"

Verified Review | Our return flight was Bangkok-Helsinki-Madrid all booked in 'business class'. The Bangkok-Helsinki sectors were great, nice new aircraft, beautiful food and service. We could not fault it. Our Helsinki-Madrid sector was awful. I am a big guy, (190cm and 120kgs) hence I try to fly business class when I can. The Helsinki to Madrid was a normal economy seat, with a 32 inch pitch, even though I had paid for a business class seat! We had flown for 10 hours had a 2 hour layover in Helsinki and this was just simply not acceptable. It was an extremely uncomfortable 4 hour journey, when it should not have been. Unfortunately when I raised this point with Finnair Ops on our return sector (as again it was an economy seat) it has now become apparent they adhere to the United Airlines customer service ethos. The frustrating point is that the customer has no recourse. You buy the ticket in good faith (assuming business will resemble something like business class, in particular with leg room) and board the plane. It is not until this point you become aware the business class seat you bought is actually an economy seat! Once the airline have your money and you have flown (as you have no other option, after boarding), unless you are a signed up member of the particular airline, they could not care less. It is extremely unfortunate that the flight from Bangkok, like I said was brilliant, however this year I have advised my travel agent, no more Finnair.
RouteHelsinki to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2016

"poor service during the flight"

(Poland)

Verified Review | Krakow to Shanghai via Helsinki. They delayed the flight due to unexpected reasons and rebooked my flight from HEL to PVG into HEL-HKG-PVG, I finally reached the final destination with 12 hours delay. No explanation at the airport, impossibile to call their service center, after several calls and more than one hour spent on this I received the information that I fly to HKG. No spmple explanation or notification about such change. At Helsinki airport Finnair told me "you will fly through HKG" and turned back. How good expample of proper altitude. Really poor service level during the flight.
RouteKrakow to Shanghai via Helsinki