Finnair

"Will not fly with them again"

Trip Verified | New York to Helsinki. Finnair customer service is the worst. The flight that myself and my wife took was over 6 hours late to board, with almost no information on why. 2 hours into the wait they started to give a very limited reason. 4 hours in they gave us $10 food vouchers that only worked at limited food vendors at the airport. We missed our connecting train, and a connecting flight to Jyvaskyla, with no apologies, and no help in getting to our destination. We had brought the connecting plane tickets with the understanding that the connecting flight will wait for us. It did not. They closed the gate by 5 seconds before we got to the connecting gate and would not allow us to get on suggesting that they have cancelled our ticket. When we mentioned our situation, there was no help, and security was called. Just terrible. Do not count on getting any help or any service from Finair staff. They clearly do not care about there job or have no interest in taking ownership of what they do. Will not fly with them again.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNew York to Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Rome to New York via Helsinki. On July 3rd, we arrived early, got to our gate on time, and were told by a Finnair employee at the gate that our flight to Helsinki was boarding next. I showed her my boarding pass. We waited for another 15 minutes and I asked again what the status of our flight was. I didn't see anyone boarding so I was getting very worried. I didn't hear any announcements. I was told very to "sit down" and that my flight hadn't boarded yet. I waited another few minutes and went back to double check the gate on the departure board. The flight had been moved! I grabbed my family and ran to the other gate where I was told very rudely that the flight just left. This was 1 leg of a three part flight from Rome to Helsinki, Helsinki to London, London to NY. After asking several airport employees what are options were, I was told to call Finnair on the phone since there was no ticket office for that airline at the airport. Our only option, I was told was to go online and purchase new tickets. Cost? $2300 US. Oh, and they lost our luggage in the meantime, and it took us 3 hours to locate it in the airport. Worst customer service I have seen in my life. Wow.
RouteRome to Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Will never use again"

Trip Verified | Our flight from Kittila to Gatwick was cancelled 5 minutes before the scheduled departure. We were 6 passengers and had to wait 3 hours at the airport to fly to Helsinki instead, sleep there in a terrible hotel and fly to a London only the next day. We all lost a day of work. We asked for our compensation (400€ under EU regulation). It was refused 4 months later, when they finally came up with an excuse: air pressure at 1051ph (above 1050ph allowed). We checked with two pilots. If it was the case no other flight could have departed that day, and a full flight to Germany left 25 minutes before ours. Also why didn't they provide this reason on the day of the cancellation? Finnair treats their customers like idiots, by trying to confuse them with technicals and disrespecting the law. If they don't want to fly empty plane, fine, but pay the compensation to your customers in time instead of coming up with dodgy reasons. Service is worst than EasyJet, for 3 times the price. Will never use again.
RouteKittila to London
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"cabin crew were very nice and polite"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | I flew Finnair from Helsinki to Copenhagen. By booking the flights well in advance the price was very reasonable and on this specific flight I was automatically seated in an exit row with extra legroom, which would usually cost extra money to book. During the flight only drinks were served, which is fine since the flight time was barely over an hour and the flight even arrived in Copenhagen ahead of schedule. The cabin crew were very nice and polite.
RouteHelsinki to Copenhagen

"great customer service"

Trip Verified | I flew Finnair on 6/19 from Gothenburg to San Francisco via Helsinki and my experience was excellent. I was seated beside a couple with a kid and the hostess noticed how uncomfortable I was and used her discretion to upgrade me to a comfort class. This was a great customer service that I wasn't expecting but one that has indeed converted me to a Finnair admirer. Besides, the on board meals were terrific and I see no reason why I wouldn't be flying Finnair moving forward. Thank you for your wonderful service.
RouteGothenburg to San Francisco via Helsinki

"recommended to fly"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. This is my first time I fly with Finnair since it was the cheapest option to fly from Manchester, UK to Bangkok,Thailand. The check-in area in Manchester was quiet and have no queue and the check-in process was very quick since I already check-in online. Both flights were delay but not very long and the crew always inform me the problem and take care every passenger during the delay. Even the flights are delayed but both flights were arrived on time. The crew on both flights were very friendly and cheerful but they were occupied and hard to get help as they were short of crew. The price of the food on both flights were overpriced and I recommend to buy food in the airport. There are a wide range of duty free products in flight magazine but some product that I want was run out and I don't like the pre-order system which not suitable for a person to fly one way like me. The aircraft were modern and the cabin are clean but the seats aren't comfortable and short range of in-flight entertainment. Helsinki Airport was clean, small (which easy for connections) and have wide range of shops but mostly are overpriced. Even there are some draw backs I would recommended to fly with this airline.
AircraftE190 / A350-900
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki

"a massive improvement"

Not Verified | Helsinki to Hong Kong. This is my first flight on the new A350 with Finnair and its a massive improvement from my previous flights with Finnair on the old 340. The cabin is very spacious and bright and the seats are comfortable with a full Flat Bed. You get a nice Doona to sleep in. Food and drink service is standard but enjoyable. Finnair places itself on the lower end of the price ratio so I think its good value. The only drawback I think is the fact that there is not one Finnish flight attendant on the Asian flights which seems strange for a Finnish Airline. All that said the service was very good and it is a very quiet and comfortable aircraft to fly on.
RouteHelsinki to Hong Kong

"could/would not help"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Oslo to Shanghai via Helsinki. After weeks of planning I was about to travel to Baracay Island in the Philippines to go kite-surfing. Finnair managed to ruin that plan entirely. As my intended flight with Lufthansa was cancelled, I was rebooked to Finnair. The flight for it self was fairly ok. Nothing special, but ok. When I arrived in Shanghai (PVG) however, Finnair started showing their true colours. I had a connecting flight with Philippine Airlines to Manila. Due to a delay from HEL, we were several passengers who had to hurry to the next flight. We were guided by a Finnair rep through immigration, and were told to not pick up and re-check our luggage, as there were no time. (This, of course, saved Finnair from paying compensation for delayed arrival) I was told that Finnair would take care of my luggage, and get it to my hotel. This turned out to be a gigantic exaggeration. Well in place at my first hotel in the Philippines, I got an e-mail in partly understandable english from PVG, asking for where to send my luggage. After some mailing, it was clear that my luggage would NOT be delivered to my hotel, as a real airline would have done. After two days, I had to travel for 2 hours to the nearest airport to pick it up. Well there I got one of my two pieces of luggage. The airport crew could not find any more information about my second piece of luggage. Figuring it may come with the next flight from Manila, I waited for 4 hours. Finally, I got an e-mail from my partly illiterate contact at PVG, informing me that my other piece of luggage was delayed due to customs. To make it short, Finnair Customer "service" could/would not help, my contact at PVG stopped answering my mails, and I had no clue about my luggage. I got my luggage the day before I returned to OSL, after two weeks. After som e-mails with Finnair Customer "service" I was offered a reimbursement of my direct expenses caused by Finnair. They call it an "compensation", but it is really a mere reimbursement. Finnair do not care very much for their Business Class passengers. Finnair ruined my entire vacation, due to lack of interest and incompetence. And they offer NO compensation at all. I will never fly with Finnair again.
RouteOslo to Shanghai via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"wont hesitate to fly with Finnair again"

Trip Verified | The economy class is pretty good. For a short haul flight, they only provide drinks. For long haul flights, the food quality was really good compared to other airlines. The food was served really hot, tasted good and was not like flight meals at all. The onboard entertainment was good as well with recent movies. Leg space for the seat should be ok for most people but maybe not spacious enough for taller guys, as I could see my neighbour was kind of struggling throughout the long haul flight. Wifi is available if you are willing to pay for it. Overall, I wont hesitate to fly with Finnair again.
RouteParis to Singapore via Helsinki

"was late over 5 hours"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Had a chance to fly with Finnair last month. The airline was late over 5 hours due to technical fault. The onboard services were mediocre. The food was not up to any advertised Nordic standards promoted by Finnair advertisements. Positive is a clear aircraft. As per EU rules and regulations, the airline is supposed to award a recommended 600-euro compensation to the passengers of delayed flight. In reality, the airline offered vouchers to us which was much lower in value. In all and all, I'll avoid Finnair.
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki