Finnair

"Thank you and never again!"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Miami to Helsinki. Baby stroller lost and was "found" and delivered 1 week later. I was making an online check in for a return flight, however airline thought it will be better for me to take a seat by the toilet on a last row, instead of window seat in the middle. Thank you and never again!
RouteMiami to Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"last flight with Finnair"

Verified Review | Avoid Finnair. London to Delhi via Helsinki. Flight AY121 from Helsinki to Delhi got cancelled. The management of the situation is as pathetic. They made us wait for 3+ hrs before cancellation of flight and rebooking is a complete disaster. They have no clue about what they do. Unfriendly, uncooperative, showing attitude staff and they don't get anything actioned. I had a similar case earlier in an overbooking situation. For me it was the last flight with Finnair. The product isn't worth it anyway.
RouteLondon to Delhi via Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"service onboard was excellent"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Helsinki. Finnair is a very good airline, at least in Business Class. I am surprised to see Finnair so low in the ranking after KLM for instance. The airplane was a new A350, service onboard was excellent and food was among the best I have had on an airplane. Overall an excellent experience.
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"they had to upgrade a few passengers"

Verified Review | Geneva to Helsinki. This was a small plane; the first surprise I got was when the check in lady (bearing in mind there were no signs of Finnair at the check in desk, only a small banner) that it was a fully booked flight and thus they had to upgrade a few passengers to business. It was a 2x2 configuration and the business class was basically full like economy. I stared back and saw that the only difference between me in business and the economy section was that I was located in front and had better drinks and food. The seats were the same. Cabin service was good but the food variety was basically the same in all the Finnair business classes I have been so far. My tip is unless you get upgraded the business class only worth it if you want to have a good dinner.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteGeneva to Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"cancelled without providing reason"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | My flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki was cancelled by Finnair less than 24 hours before departure without providing reason and the first available flight is 4 days later which was totally unacceptable. Their cancellation undoubtedly ruined my holiday. One month has passed and they said they were still investigating the case. I am furious that they refused to shoulder any responsibility to compensate us for the losses. You surely will not recommend an airline who never listens to their customers, right?
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Finnair refused to compensate"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Helsinki. I was supposed to fly with Finnair on 30/9 at 0025am. I received SMS & email message at 13:18pm 29/9 that flight was cancelled and they are working on my reservation. I heard nothing from them and took the initiative to contact them and finally got through via chat service. I was told that the earliest flight out indirectly would be 3/10 and directly 5/10. Such delay was totally unacceptable and we decided to cancel our flight. We have incurred penalty cost due to pre booking of hotels and tour groups. Finnair refused to compensate these. I would not recommend Finnair to any travelers from such bad experience on their part in handling crisis, failing to arrange alternate route for customers within 24 hours, failing to admit responsibilities of the problem that they created, compensate customers on cost we incurred due to their fault and their handling of customer complaints have been terrible
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Overall a good experience"

Verified Review | Manchester to Nagoya via Helsinki. Main flights Helsinki to Nagoya and return were both enjoyable and a good experience. Both flights were on time with efficient and pleasant staff who appeared to enjoy their jobs. Choice of entertainment on board was varied and plenty of choice. Adequate legroom with blanket and pillows provided. Food provided was excellent and choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks excellent. In between meals staff kept coming round with drinks, water and ice cream nothing was too much trouble for the cabin crew. Overall a good experience and would not hesitate to use again, thanks for being part of our memorable trip to Japan.
RouteManchester to Nagoya via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"mostly ups, a few downs"

Verified Review | I didn't even plan on flying with Finnair, it was destiny who put me on this flight. Or rather, it was a spontaneous cancellation of my actual flight which I had with KLM - one day before departure. But this review is about Finnair, that other story will be told another day. So I got put on the Finnair route from Berlin Tegel via Helsinki Vantaa to Kansai International at 2.30am in the morning, about 11 hours before departure. I woke up with this new flight on my phone and thought to myself "Sure, why not? Finnair is supposed to be pretty nice". The trip from Tegel to Helsinki was nice, but nothing spectacular. A typical intra-european flight on a better-than-budget airline. Okay legroom, drink and a snack on a 2-hour-flight - the typical treatment for Economy Class. In Helsinki, I had a 90-minute-layover which will become important again later in the story. At that time, everything was fine though. Nice airport and more than enough time for me to transfer to the intercontinental flight to Kansai International. The plane on the long haul fight appeared very modern and very clean. The crew was very courteous and left no wishes open (economy class wishes, that is). The legroom was one of the few things that left some room for improvement (more than for legs) - on a very similar-distance flight with Lufthansa it was designed more generously. The entertainment offer included several recent movies as well as a number of more classic ones - less than on other intercontinental flights with different carriers but quite enough for the 10 hours of the trip. I never quite got all the run-down jokes on airplane food - most of the times I had it it was pretty decent, even very tasty on several occasions (esp. when flying with Korean carriers). Finnair made me understand the humour behind it to a degree. Out of two meal choices, only one was left when I was served - the macaroni casserole. It was dry, unseasoned and rater disappointing. Maybe that's why the other meal option ran out so fast. Sitting in the back of the plane, I had no choice but to swallow what was left. In fairness, the other components of the meal and the breakfast meal were tasty! The flight itself was very smooth and when putting everything together, I had an experience on the plane that I am definitely keen on repeating. When leaving the plane at Kansai International, I thought for a moment that I am the lucky recipient of special VIP treatment. An information board with my name on it greeted me right after entering the airport building. Unfortunately, the only thing it said was "Please refer to the baggage desk for further information". This is where the 90-minute-layover from Helsinki comes back into the story. While 90 minutes is enough time for a human to transfer from one plane to the other, baggage sometimes is not as quick. This was the case, as the lady at the counter informed me. I was left without clothes, electronics and cosmetics on the first day of my trip. Also, I hadn't slept for about 22 hours. However, the bureaucratic process of sending my baggage straight to the hotel went smooth and fast and Japanese efficiency showed its beautiful face. One day later, my backpack was delivered to the hotel. The refunding process for the clothes and cosmetics that I bought as replacements went fast and without problems. To sum up, my experience with Finnair had mostly ups and a few downs. Looking back, I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them again. Recommend.
RouteBerlin to Kansai via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a rather average Business Class product"

Verified Review | Flew Finnair Business for the first time on 12/9/17 from Singapore to Helsinki. Return from Vilnius to Singapore on 4/10/17. All 4 flights were on time, crew did their jobs, not outstandingly but also no complaints. But the reverse herringbone 1-2-1 seats were narrow, hard and pillows too soft for any neck support. Hence, sleep quality is not good. Movie range was a little too limited, more so for Chinese movies. Food was fine, but very average for Business class. Worse is, on our return leg from Helsinki to Singapore on 4/10, our pre-ordered main course of Reindeer meat did not materialise because of a breakdown in communication - what a shame on Finnair! Counter staff at Vilnius Airport was also very rude. Wondered why Finnair would allow a sulky faced and rude woman to be in charged of checking in their Business Class passengers in Vilnius? Lounges in Sinapore are Qantas and Dnata, with both providing good food but Qantas being much more spacious. Lounges in Helsinki are fine, too, though with a poorer food selection than the lounges in Singapore. The lounge at gate 50 has more shower cubicles though. Overall, a rather average Business Class product. Would only fly Finnair again if their prices are on Promo and/or offer better connectivity in Europe.
RouteSingapore to Bergen via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"been very stressful to me"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Manchester via Helsinki. I was issued a voucher last year due to a terrible seat given in business class the year before. As the time for the voucher came up to use I tried to use it. Yet it could not be used without a activation code. The only way you can communicate with this airline is via messenger and then they respond without reading the facts and sometimes it takes days. I was given the wrong information from inadequate staff who had no idea how to solve the questions. I still haven't used it and had to use alternative airlines to return on my journey. This boarding pass I paid as I couldnt find out how to use the voucher. I took up my complaint on the return. As nobody would pass on my comments to their customer service department. Again no email to contact just fill an online form. I was told it would take 2 months for a response. Eventually we start again and they refuse to reissue the voucher which has now expired. I tried to share the full dialogue I had had with all staff but they would not give me an email to do so. In the end you have to accept their offer which comes by email - but you cannot respond. They extended for one more month and yet still nobody will give me the activation code? Disgraceful service. This has been very stressful to me as I was trying to get back early to the UK Due to my father being sick. I have several family members who will verify this facade. So now I get an extension to use this pathetic compensation of 200 Euros which is an insult anyway. Yet I still have no activation code to use and nobody will respond again!
RouteBangkok to Manchester via Helsinki