Finnair

"recommended to fly"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. This is my first time I fly with Finnair since it was the cheapest option to fly from Manchester, UK to Bangkok,Thailand. The check-in area in Manchester was quiet and have no queue and the check-in process was very quick since I already check-in online. Both flights were delay but not very long and the crew always inform me the problem and take care every passenger during the delay. Even the flights are delayed but both flights were arrived on time. The crew on both flights were very friendly and cheerful but they were occupied and hard to get help as they were short of crew. The price of the food on both flights were overpriced and I recommend to buy food in the airport. There are a wide range of duty free products in flight magazine but some product that I want was run out and I don't like the pre-order system which not suitable for a person to fly one way like me. The aircraft were modern and the cabin are clean but the seats aren't comfortable and short range of in-flight entertainment. Helsinki Airport was clean, small (which easy for connections) and have wide range of shops but mostly are overpriced. Even there are some draw backs I would recommended to fly with this airline.
AircraftE190 / A350-900
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki

"a massive improvement"

Not Verified | Helsinki to Hong Kong. This is my first flight on the new A350 with Finnair and its a massive improvement from my previous flights with Finnair on the old 340. The cabin is very spacious and bright and the seats are comfortable with a full Flat Bed. You get a nice Doona to sleep in. Food and drink service is standard but enjoyable. Finnair places itself on the lower end of the price ratio so I think its good value. The only drawback I think is the fact that there is not one Finnish flight attendant on the Asian flights which seems strange for a Finnish Airline. All that said the service was very good and it is a very quiet and comfortable aircraft to fly on.
RouteHelsinki to Hong Kong

"could/would not help"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Oslo to Shanghai via Helsinki. After weeks of planning I was about to travel to Baracay Island in the Philippines to go kite-surfing. Finnair managed to ruin that plan entirely. As my intended flight with Lufthansa was cancelled, I was rebooked to Finnair. The flight for it self was fairly ok. Nothing special, but ok. When I arrived in Shanghai (PVG) however, Finnair started showing their true colours. I had a connecting flight with Philippine Airlines to Manila. Due to a delay from HEL, we were several passengers who had to hurry to the next flight. We were guided by a Finnair rep through immigration, and were told to not pick up and re-check our luggage, as there were no time. (This, of course, saved Finnair from paying compensation for delayed arrival) I was told that Finnair would take care of my luggage, and get it to my hotel. This turned out to be a gigantic exaggeration. Well in place at my first hotel in the Philippines, I got an e-mail in partly understandable english from PVG, asking for where to send my luggage. After some mailing, it was clear that my luggage would NOT be delivered to my hotel, as a real airline would have done. After two days, I had to travel for 2 hours to the nearest airport to pick it up. Well there I got one of my two pieces of luggage. The airport crew could not find any more information about my second piece of luggage. Figuring it may come with the next flight from Manila, I waited for 4 hours. Finally, I got an e-mail from my partly illiterate contact at PVG, informing me that my other piece of luggage was delayed due to customs. To make it short, Finnair Customer "service" could/would not help, my contact at PVG stopped answering my mails, and I had no clue about my luggage. I got my luggage the day before I returned to OSL, after two weeks. After som e-mails with Finnair Customer "service" I was offered a reimbursement of my direct expenses caused by Finnair. They call it an "compensation", but it is really a mere reimbursement. Finnair do not care very much for their Business Class passengers. Finnair ruined my entire vacation, due to lack of interest and incompetence. And they offer NO compensation at all. I will never fly with Finnair again.
RouteOslo to Shanghai via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"wont hesitate to fly with Finnair again"

Trip Verified | The economy class is pretty good. For a short haul flight, they only provide drinks. For long haul flights, the food quality was really good compared to other airlines. The food was served really hot, tasted good and was not like flight meals at all. The onboard entertainment was good as well with recent movies. Leg space for the seat should be ok for most people but maybe not spacious enough for taller guys, as I could see my neighbour was kind of struggling throughout the long haul flight. Wifi is available if you are willing to pay for it. Overall, I wont hesitate to fly with Finnair again.
RouteParis to Singapore via Helsinki

"was late over 5 hours"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Had a chance to fly with Finnair last month. The airline was late over 5 hours due to technical fault. The onboard services were mediocre. The food was not up to any advertised Nordic standards promoted by Finnair advertisements. Positive is a clear aircraft. As per EU rules and regulations, the airline is supposed to award a recommended 600-euro compensation to the passengers of delayed flight. In reality, the airline offered vouchers to us which was much lower in value. In all and all, I'll avoid Finnair.
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"The service was very slow"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Frankfurt via Helsinki. Business class check in and I get the seat 1A Window side. If you sit straight your head touch the side wall. The front wall is maybe 60 cm from you. If you want to toilet and your neighbour is sleeping you have to climb over the person. The food was economy class standard. The flight start close to midnight but the meal comes very late so you are not able to sleep because of light and cabin traffic. The service was very slow and unfriendly. I was very disappointed about the small space, the low level food and the slow service. Where is the benefit between economy and business class at Finnair. Only the price ?
RouteBangkok to Frankfurt via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"would fly Finnair again"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Tokyo Narita with Finnair. The bagage drop off in Amsterdam was extremely slow. There was a long queue and only two people from groundstaff were available for the check-in. The third groundstaff member at the business class desk was playing on her phone instead of helping passengers with the bagage drop off, while there were no business class passengers. It took almost 50 minutes to get my bag checked in. After security and a quick coffee it was already time to board one of their older A321's. The flight was completely full and we made an on time departure from Amsterdam. For short flights the comfort on board was OK. The first round of service was coffee or tea and later there was a second service with water, orange juice or blueberry juice which tasted quite good. Other food items were available on purchase. The flight landed with no delays at Helsinki. Helsinki airport was a zoo with lots of passengers connecting to the outbound Asia flights in the afternoon. After a 90 minute layover it was time to board the A350-900 to Tokyo. Boarding went quick and this flight was packed to the max as well. No empty seats in economy for sure (I should have booked the economy comfort seat in advance but I guessed the seat next would remain empty. Bad choise!). The legroom was sufficient and the seat was quite comfortable although I found the seat to be a bit narrow. The flight departed on time and after an hour the first meal service started. The meal quality (lamb sausages) was average. The entertainment product on the A359 is very good even in economy class. Large and bright screens and lots of movies or series to choose from. After the meal service there was a round of coffee and then the cabin crew disappeared. In the rearward galley there were drinks, savory items and chocolates available. I didn't get any sleep unfortunately because I found the cabin to be very hot. There are no individual air vents on the A359. One our before arrival the breakfast was served which contained a mushroom-omelette and a blueberry yogurt. Quality and quantity was good! Narita airport was a breeze in the early morning! After leaving the aircraft I passed migration and collected my bags in less then 15 minutes. I would definitely fly Finnair again on flights to Asia.The only downside was the groudstaff at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. When you know the flight is fully booked, make sure there are more then two members available for the bagage drop!
AircraftA321 / A359
RouteAmsterdam to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"she didn't say bye to me"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to London and one of the cabin crew was extremely rude. When it came to serving the drinks she didn't bother to ask me if I wanted anything and served others around me. I noticed she did not converse with a lot of the passengers but only gesture to them, as she was not in the mood for conversation. When collecting the rubbish, she grab things from people. And when getting ready for landing, she grabbed bags some people were holding and shove it under the seat in front, without asking them to do so due to landing shortly. At the end of the flight, as I was walking past her, she didn't say bye to me. I decided to say thank you to her to see if she would at least acknowledge me, but she looked away from me and did not respond.
RouteHelsinki to London
Date FlownMay 2018

"I am changing from Finnair"

Trip Verified | Kansai to London via Helsinki. I paid and booked a seat 9D from Helsinki to London. However, my flight from Japan was delayed and my original flight from Helsinki to London was cancelled. So Finnair gave me a seat 30D which is the back block. I requested the refund as I paid and booked the front seat. Finnair refuse my refund as 'any seat should be paid extra to reserve.' I do not understand their logic at all. Finnair also said that I should have checked in advance to keep the front block seat. If you paid and booked the seat, why should I check-in in advance? I believe that Finnair is making excuse not to refund. In addition, their in flight entertainment is poor - movies are not changed for long time. Moreover the Finnair staff at Helsinki airport are arrogant and not helpful at all. Now I am changing from Finnair to somebody else.
RouteKansai to London via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"it is just a waste of time"

Trip Verified | I’ve made 16 flights with Finnair this year, 30% - 40% of them ended with problems because of the significant delays, 2 of them had to be rescheduled (one time I had to stay one additional night in Helsinki, another time to wait for more than 8 hours for another flight). I was thinking that I would be constantly flying with this airline, because it was comfortable for me in terms of timing, but after this experience I will never get back to this airline, it is just a waste of time, stress and additional costs. I would also add as a significant disadvantage the low efficient work of Helsinki Airport. Conclusions: if you have a chance, avoid Finnair, even if it proposes lower price of ticket!
RouteSt. Petersburg to Zurich via Helsinki