Finnair

Review by (Singapore) 2nd July 2015

I had some reservations with the comments previously made by those who had flown Finnair. However the competitive pricing and perfect routing SIN - BUD via HEL then TXL - SIN via HEL made me try them for the first time. I must say, it was quite good. The flights were on time, the A340 planes form SIN - HEL though aging were fairly well kept. Service, though not as slick as QR or SQ, was attentive and more relaxed. No complaints. The seat was comfortable but not a flat bed. IFE adequate and food was good. Excellent lamb dish out of HEL. Of course they don't serve gourmet coffee or tea, but overall, no complaints. The HEL lounge for the international flights side was good with vintage wines and good quality supper food. Very good showers and Helsinki Airport is very easy to navigate. The lounge on the European and domestic side was a little crowded and the snacks spartan. I would fly them again to Europe or even to the Eastern USA if the pricing is competitive.
RouteSingapore to Budapest via Helsinki

Review by (Australia) 1st July 2015

Leg from SYD to Singapore was a codeshare flight with Qantas. Excellent service, great choice of movies, food good. Flight arrived early which made connection easier considering 15 min walk to gate. Had booked economy plus on Finnair leg. What a joke, don't book seats 22c,d,e or f you have an offset screen due to only being three seats in row in front. Screens were in two end seats of row in front which meant you were viewing at an angle if in two middle seats. End seats both had pull up screens which meant that because of the need to angle screen it was shining in my eyes which was very annoying when trying to sleep on the 12 hour flight. My screen kept shutting down every couple of minutes so I gave up. Staff were pleasant but overall the seats were uncomfortable, I should have saved my money and not gone economy plus. I have to fly back to Australia from London on Finnair, hope the experience is better.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to Budapest via Helsinki

Review by (New Zealand) 1st July 2015

Arrived at the airport and printed our boarding passes. Lucky we managed to change our seats as we were all booked in separate rows (including our 3 year old). Joined the end of a very long queue for baggage drop. Only 2 counters open and after about 40 minutes they realised they weren't going to get everyone done before the flight left so opened another one. No time to do anything then before we went to the gate. Boarding was announced and then one of the two staff disappeared so we waited for 10 minutes for him to come back. They let us on first as we were travelling with a toddler which is the only positive of this flight. They needn't have bothered though as departure time came and went. No announcements before finally got one 15 minutes after due to leave to say we would be leaving in 10 minutes. 20 minutes before landing we finally got offered a drink. At baggage claim our bags were not on the belt. We were making an onward connection to Kittila the next day and for some reason our bags had been checked through. We didn't ask for this, nor were we asked if we wanted this. Waited for our bags to be retrieved from the "bag hotel". Finally got out of the airport about 2 hours after we should have. I'm giving them 1 point for the priority boarding with the toddler.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteCopenhagen to Helsinki

Review by (Finland) 25th June 2015

Overall pretty good experience on flights HEL-YYZ-HEL. Outbound flight left slightly late but arrived 15 min early but return flight left an hour late due to overbooking and missing passengers as we were told. Due to overbooking of economy class, business class was full on return flight. It seems to me that upgrades were not given to Finnair plus tier or oneworld tier members but on a random basis. There should be a system that honors frequens fliers over the others. I know this is one thing that irritates most for higher Finnair plus tier members, and Finnair is losing these customers. Seats are full-flat but slightly narrow for sleeping. Nice pillow and good duvet and both were clean on both flights. Service was good, as it should be in business class. On return flight service was even better due to purser's efforts to deliver more personal service. Extra credit for that. Food was better for outbound flight. The main course was pretty good for airline meals. The dessert selection is Finnair's weak point for sure. There's an ice cream which are tiny prepacked cups of Häagen-Dazs or Macarons for example. Entertainment system has been upgraded and selection is better but still lacking behind of many airlines. Why can't there be a separate bus for business class passangers when there's a bus gate arrival in HEL?
AircraftA330-300
RouteHelsinki to Toronto

Review by (Sweden) 17th June 2015

You get value for your money. Crew are professional. However, Finnair should try to invest some money into some features, otherwise it will just be another company out there. Seats are very uncomfortable and I usually use a pillow as a back support. Food is terrible, I should have taken some with me. From Helsinki to Stockholm they offered us drinks only (no snacks)! Entertainment is average. Selection of movies to choose from was not great. System froze when I tried to play some games, they had to restart the system to get it working. I don't like Helsinki airport either. They maximized space for restaurants, while passengers are left with a limited number of seats. That leaves a mass of people standing in the way. Both times I ended up almost running through airport trying to get there in time. I don't know what was going on, but I entered three toilets and all were full. Also, if I went through security check in Tokyo, do I need to go through same thing in Helsinki too? All an all, I will skip Finnair if I don't have direct flight. They are getting some new airplanes, so things might change soon.
AircraftA340, A319, A321
RouteStockholm to Tokyo via Helsinki

Review by (Norway) 15th June 2015

OSL-HEL-BKK in Economy class. As a previous regular customer for more than 10 years with Finnair flying Europe - Asia I think its sad that Finnair have fallen to this level. Non existent service, food better not served and a entertainment system out dated. I understand the competition is tough in the skies, but with the cost saving regulations seen on this airline and aircraft its better for the customer that the airline park their aircrafts at a scrap yard.
AircraftA340-300
RouteOslo to Bangkok via Helsinki

Review by (Australia) 12th June 2015

We booked our flights after reading several reviews on this airline. Flew with code share partners Cathay Pacific from SYD to HKG and then Finnair to LHR. And return with last leg via SIN with BA. Overall Finnair was the best with great service notwithstanding the aircraft on the onward flight was old but very comfortable. Connections were very easy and all flights ran on schedule. Will definitely fly with them again.

Review by (Hong Kong) 6th June 2015

We flew HKG-HEL-FRA in economy comfort and return in economy at emergency exit. Both flights had great legroom in economy comfort we had 21A and C (first row) and more then 1m legroom in from of us! Never had more legroom on any other airline. The price you pay for economy comfort is absolutely worth doing. Seats are normal economy seats but the legroom and the small amenity kit and the noise canceling headset are good. The food was good and the entertainment was fair. Screen size was ok and the service was also good. The check-in went smoothly. The aircraft's (A340 HKG-HEL and HEL-HKG A319 HEL-FRA E190 FRA-HEL) were all very clean and seats were comfortable. All flights were on time. We were bit concerned about our transfer time of 50min on our return flight in Helsinki. Finnair mentioned on the phone that there will be no problems to reach the connecting flight to HKG and they were right we managed to arrive at the gate in only 15 min. Helsinki is a great and easy airport for transfer and Finnair give the best value for money. I can definitely recommend Finnair over Cathay Pacific between HKG and FRA. Cathay is way to expensive for what they offer compared to Finnair. I am a frequent traveller on Cathay Pacific and oneworld but for sure I will use Finnair in the future to fly between HKG to FRA.

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th June 2015

AY840 LHR-HEL Business Class and AY81 HEL-SIN Economy. The first leg from Heathrow to Helsinki on their intra- European Business Class product was flawless. The aircraft used was a modern Airbus A320. From start to finish every aspect of the journey was top class. Finnair shares the Business Class lounge at Heathrow Terminal 3 with its Oneworld partner Cathay Pacific. The lounge was comfortable with a decent offering of food and a generous offering of alcoholic spirits wine and beer. Boarding was announced in the lounge and by the time I arrived at the gate most passengers had boarded and there was no long queue. No hassle from check in to boarding. Finnair ground crew were brilliant! Flight departed on time. Intra-European Business Class uses the same seats as in economy but with the middle row empty for more space and privacy. The flight attendant in charge of the Business cabin was very attentive and went above and beyond to make passengers comfortable. Dinner was served efficiently although there was only one meal option for Business Class. It was rather odd to find a curry being served in Business Class on an intra-European flight but overall the smoked meats and champagne compensated for this. The crew accommodated passengers who could not eat curry by allowing them to choose meals from the Economy menu. A fine selection of liquors along with coffee and tea service followed dinner. The crew kept refreshing drinks throughout. Arrived in Helsinki on time. Used to flying on Finnair intra-European economy product where it feels more like a budget carrier so it was very refreshing to have such high quality service on their Business Class product. AY 81 HEL-SIN Economy: Had a 2.5 hour layover at Helsinki and used their non-Schengen lounge. It was spacious with light food and snacks and an extensive range of alcoholic and soft drinks. The lounge got a bit crowded after 10 pm with several high capacity flights departing for the Far East at the same time. Could not get an upgrade on this sector. Aircraft used was the ex-Air France Airbus A340-300 (OH-LQG) with its wonderfully dated interior which always brings back fond memories of the 1990s and early 2000s. I've flown on this an OH-LQF many times before and contrary to other reviews I find this aircraft to be up to par. IFC worked properly and there was a decent selection of movies and television shows to keep me occupied on the 11.5 hour flight. The cabin crew were not Finnish but were mostly from Singapore as I came to learn. They were highly attentive and professional always coming around the with water throughout. Meals were a lot better than previously experienced. Seat was very comfortable and the flight arrived in SIN way ahead of schedule. For the amount paid for this flight I got excellent value for money.

Review by (Hong Kong) 6th June 2015