Top 100 Airports

Finnair

"doing its best to be hated"

Verified Review | Geneva to Helsinki. Finnair is doing its best to be hated. The Embraer it uses in Europe are tatty and seats are uncomfortable. Prices are high (impossible to pay less than 300 Euros on the GVA HEL route) but service is non existent. On a premium economy flight that cost over 400 euros you have to pay additional fees to get a seat pre-assigned. My gold membership expired, as per the card, on August 16. They have unilaterally decided to retrocede me in Silver membership in July. And now Silver member need to pay an extra 25 euros to access the lounge. Plane was late both ways. Staff is unfriendly. Finnair is not worth the exorbitant fees they charge. I'm a gold status member since I have to use them quite a bit. They are barely passable on long haul, but European flights are simply dreadful.
AircraftEmbraer
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteGVA to HEL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"Finnair is cost cutting"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Kuusamo to Helsinki. Late, cramped and shabby. The departure from Kuusamo was delayed by 20 minutes due to late arriving aircraft. As it was a late evening departure, I would have appreciated on time arrival in Helsinki. Flight time was 1 hour and 35 minutes, and it felt very long in this cramped and full cabin ATR Turbo prop plane (flight operated by NORRA; Nordic Regional Airways). Seats are worn out and one feels like a sardine in a tin. Cabin crew served water, tea, coffee and oddly blueberry juice for free. The onboard menu is very reduced, no sandwiches, but they seemed to have plentiful alcohol for sale. No inflight entertainment provided. In Helsinki there was a bus transfer to the terminal. Bus was old, shabby, fogged windows even in summer, and it waited till the last passenger had boarded the bus. Finnair is cost cutting by using the services of NORRA on this route.
AircraftATR-72
RouteKAO to HEL

"well below standards"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | As on my previous Finnair flight, ground staff were well below standards. At "Priority" check-in I was welcomed by a "why didn't you tag your luggage?", instead of a "hello!". Then a complaint: entitled to PieceConcept (3x 23kg), as I had 24.8 + 15 + 10, I heard: "your luggage is overweight". Just to make me to ask for an exception, during which I watched my luggage go away w/o priority tag. Pure abuse of power. I was not informed of any lounge, and I heard a "done", instead of "have a nice flight". I was not welcome once again. However, as on my previous Finnair flight, on-board service was just perfect, food and drinks excellent, seat extremely comfortable. It was as if I were dealing with another airline. Plane extremely clean and silent. On-time all the way. Nice announcements from flight deck and constant attention from F/A. Amazing contrast.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHEL to KIX

"boarding was shameful"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Flew Finnair from Paris CDG to Helsinki. Priority check-in was messy as counter was accepting non-priority passengers. Lounge was nice with many breakfast options, and extremely quick wi-fi. Boarding was shameful. Only one person was in charge of calls and boarding cards check-in, for a fully packed A321. Group were not well indicated. All passengers were as cattle, priority or not, and we did not feel welcome. We consequently departed late. Seats were usual European Business class, but food and drinks as well as FA's were perfect.
RouteCDG to HEL

"flight was overbooked"

Verified Review | This short Finnair flight was the first leg of a long-haul flight back to Brisbane Australia (with connections in Helsinki, Singapore and Sydney). The flight was overbooked and the airline had asked for volunteers to take alternative flights if possible. This was not an option for me because of the long chain of connecting flights dependent on this first leg. Despite this, and despite having booked the seat 8 months in advance, the check-in agent at Tegel Berlin announced that my seat on the flight was not guaranteed because of the overbooking. More distressingly, she demonstrated a very negative customer service response, never seeking to reassure me that my situation would be handled sympathetically or that any special effort would be made to ensure I was given a seat on the flight, so vital to my forward connections. When I said that it was not my responsibility that the flight was overbooked, her response was that it wasn't her fault either but she had to listen to all the customers' complaints. Talk about an attempt at role reversal - even Basil Fawlty of Fawlty Towers fame couldn't have done it better. I eventually was able to board the flight, but only after a stressful couple of hours worrying about missing my connections. I can only conclude that Finnair's overbooking margins are excessive and that they've also decided to cut costs by neglecting to provide even basic customer service training to their check-in agents. Needless to say, I don't plan to fly with them again.
AircraftA320 and A340
RouteSXF to SIN via HEL

"no smiles, no service"

(Finland)

Verified Review | What to say about Finnair flying from Helsinki to Warsaw? Summertime and the airport was over crowded. Some passengers are not used to waiting and standing in a queue. A passenger asked a Finnair representative (who was giving information to people) if there was any service for check in. The woman answered no. The man was wondering why and left. After the man turned his back the representative started imitating him. The flight - The purser shouted at a passenger to sit down. No smiles, no service. Like a low cost carrier but not at a low cost price.
RouteHEL to WAW
Date FlownJuly 2016

"I was really disappointed"

Verified Review | I was really disappointed after using this airline to fly back from a wedding in Helsinki to Dublin, when I checked in with my girlfriend we were told that the flight was overbooked and that one of us might not be allocated a seat, we were both flabbergasted, as we had booked our flights back in January, so the least we expected was to have a seat on the plane. Needless to say we could not enjoy the airport experience and spent the next three hours stressing out over whether we would get a seat or not. At the boarding gate there was only one other person who didn't have a seat number, so why were we singled out for this practice? We had to stand to the side while everyone else was allowed to board. Luckily another gentleman offered to give up his seat and we thanked him graciously. On top of all this the flight was delayed for an hour and we missed our pre-booked bus back in Dublin and had to purchase another ticket to finally get home. Overall this was the worst travel experience my girlfriend and I have experienced and we will never travel with this company again. Next time we will travel with an airline that can at least guarantee a passenger a seat.
RouteHEL to DUB

"its totally unsatisfactory"

Verified Review | Why is Finnair not transporting luggage properly on its flights? If you fly directly from Helsinki to Heathrow you do not expect to receive a message saying your bag is delayed and will be on the last flight of the day. A business colleague flew back the previous day and her bag was delayed until the following day as well. They also seem to have taken the art of overbooking to the next level as each time you check-in online you get a message saying the flight is overbooked - do you want to go on a later flight? I failed to check in online on the outward bound flight and when I checked in at the airport they couldn't allocate me a seat and gave me a ticket with stand-by on it and was told to see an attendant at the gate. It's a lovely way of raising the stress levels when you have a business meeting to attend. All in all its totally unsatisfactory when on a simple flight your luggage gets delayed to the next day - after having checked in with three hours to spare. Someone isn't doing their job right.
RouteHEL to LHR
Date FlownJune 2016

"Finnair now serves a very basic lunch"

Verified Review | Madrid to Helsinki with Finnair. In transit in Madrid Barajas I enjoyed a good shower and breakfast at the Iberia Business Lounge and headed on time to the gate for boarding. Boarding was by bus, as seems to be the routine for Finnair in Madrid (wonder, why, with most jet bridges totally empty). No point in Priority Boarding as you just get first to the bus, where you wait at least 15 minutes to fill it up. After a decent long-haul Business Class seat, the A321 seating seemed cramped. As soon as the person ahead of me reclined his seat, no way to read a newspaper. Following the captain's welcome announcement in Finnish, Swedish and English, all cabin announcements were made again in Spanish and English. Apparently, nobody in the cabin spoke Finnish or Swedish! Pre-lunch drinks served in designer glassware and soon the lunch was served. Sad to see that in Business Class, Finnair now serves a very basic lunch - Pork Patty which is basically a hamburger made of minced pork, full of flour, swimming in a heavy creamy sauce. What happened to all those specialities Finnair Business Class was once famous of, such as reindeer, venison, or arctic char? Above all, why on earth would an international airline serve pork as the single dish on such a long flight in Business Class? To wrap up the lunch only a horrible instant coffee was served. Not good. Landed on time, but had a long walk through the terminal to the baggage hall, which was a struggle to find. Apparently, there was information on a monitor when we deplaned, but if you missed it, like many of us did, you have no idea when walking through the endless crowded corridors of HEL airport, where to take the stairs down for the correct baggage hall.
RouteMAD to HEL
Date FlownJune 2016

"very pleasant experience on plane"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Helsinki to Malaga with Finnair. Helsinki Airport was rather quiet at the time of our flight. There weren't queues anywhere and it didn't take long to reach our gate. However, boarding was quite chaotic and unorganized. Boarding groups weren't enforced and some passengers were cutting others. Fully booked flight didn't made things better. We had prebooked seats from row 7, which definitely had more legroom than seats after row 10. Flight took off about 10 minutes after schedule. Seat belt (or safety belt as Finnair calls it) sign was switched off 10 minutes after takeoff. Around the same time captain made announcement in Finnish, and briefly in English and Spanish. It soon became clear that cancelling the flight was really close. Captain explained to us that he was called to work from his birthday party as a last resort. He also gave information about the route (there aren't any monitors for the airshow in these newer A321s) and weather in Malaga. In-flight service began after this with pre-ordered meals. From three of the current choices, the penne pasta bolognese was a clear winner. Unlike Chicken breast and vegetable masala, the pasta wasn't overcooked and it didn't taste bland like airplane food tends to. If your flight is operated with bigger plane, such as A321, consider pre-booked meals. Sky Bistro service is extremely slow, for this flight it took almost two hours to finish. It's also expensive and running out of options is apparently common. Three economy lavatories at the back of the plane were kept on an acceptable clean level. About one hour before arrival, crew came on another drink service offering coffee, tea, water and blueberry juice (these are the only options served free of charge). Just before landing captain made a brief announcement that we would approach Malaga airport from southwest. Plane landed on time. Baggage took about 20+ minutes to arrive - this seems to be average time at Malaga. Overall, very pleasant experience on plane, average on the ground.
AircraftA321-231