Vote Airport

Finnair

"my feet were cramped"

(Norway)

I had a flight from Bangkok - Helsinki with Finnair onboard an A350. I'm 6'4"/193 and had a tight ride. Laying full flat my head and shoulders was into the wall, the headroom is curved as the top of the headrest (not optical, it'd be much better with a flat top). My feet were cramped all the way down in the V-shaped foot-end. If you lay down and for example want to scratch our fresh mosquito bite, the knee crashes in the footwell, so you must sit up to do it. You also have to put in the tv-screen. The seats on the A340 are much better and not so claustrophobic. The service onboard was great, though the one in neighbor seat got double drinks, and I got single. On-ground customer service is poor. Our flight was delayed, so we missed our connecting flight to OSL. Finnair rebooked us to SAS Economy, HEL-CPH (2 hours wait) CPH-OSL. The transferdesk at Vantaa/HEL were rude. No offers of compensation, no voucher.
RouteBKK to HEL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"nothing positive to say"

(Sweden)

Gothenburg to Beijing via Helsinki with Finnair. First trip both flights were on time, food was terrible and the inflight entertainment has a limited selection of movies etc, also they harass you with commercials about Finnair and shopping till your ears bleed. Return trip was much worse. Both flights delayed and no information supplied, even when I asked at the check-in they didn't say more than to wait. I noticed when I got home that they sent information about the delayed flight via e-mail. Smart move except it's in China where Gmail and many more emails are unavailable. Maybe they could've thought that through a bit better. Nothing positive to say, if you compare them to any other major airline. I would not set my foot on another Finnair flight.
AircraftA350-900 / A319
RouteGOT to PEK via HEL

"poor inflight entertainment"

What a mistake I made booking to fly with Finnair from Helsinki to Bangkok. Old aircraft and poor inflight entertainment, all of the films were at least 8 months old and picture quality was very poor. On a 10 hour flight the first alcoholic drink with your meal was free then if you wanted any more you had to pay for them. How they expect to compete with the likes of Emirates etc adopting this attitude? Helsinki Airport is too small for more than an hour stopover too. At night virtually no shops/restaurant open unless you like Burger King. The only plus side is the all Asian flight attendants were quite polite and pleasant. I certainly won't be booking on the cheap again. I had to pay an extra £30 on top of my flight to prebook a decent seat.
RouteHEL to BKK
Date FlownDecember 2015

"ticked all of the boxes"

We chose Finnair due to a really good business class fare from London to Bangkok. Flight from LHR on A330. Great food- an unusual wild hare ravioli, as a main with some good wine choices. Down to BKK on the new A350, which was the main reason I chose Finnair. A lovely Blueberry and champagne cocktail served by attentive staff, and a reasonable amenities kit given out. The A350 has the new lie flat beds, which are pretty comfortable: seat 1a for me could have done with being a bit longer, but I'm 6' 2" and my wife's seat across the aisle was a bit more roomy. We ordered food off the gourmet menu and were served a crayfish soup followed by a lovely reindeer steak, very nice but to be honest I couldn't have said that it was anything other than a very good beef cut. There was a good red and white wine selection and the service was excellent throughout. Breakfast was a pretty good omelette which hadn't been ruined by over cooking. For us Finnair ticked all of the boxes: cost was around £1400, which compared to an around £500 economy was a lot of money, but with things like lounge access, priority boarding and priority through the huge BKK immigration queues made its bit more bearable. Our only gripe was the limited IFE, with only a couple of new films and a pretty uninteresting music selection. Not a patch on Qatar, Singapore or Emirates, but the free WiFi was fast and made the lack of on board IFE bearable. The Bose noise cancelling headphones were excellent.
RouteLHR to BKK via HEL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"service in economy is a joke"

(Poland)

Finnair from Copenhagen to Zurich via Helsinki. All flights were on time, nice A320 on both legs, regular legroom for economy class. Interesting cabin decor - white and greyish, but cabins looked clean. Very nice and attentive cabin crew, airshow, some cartoons, Finnair info etc. Service in economy is however a joke. Only tea, coffee and blueberry juice are for free, the rest is to be paid and prices are way too expensive. Leg to Zurich was almost 3 hours, and at least a sandwich or something sweet would be nice to have. I don't mind buying food on board, but not with Finnair's prices.
RouteCPH to ZRH via HEL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"economy class offering is now a joke"

For reasons unknown the plane was a long haul 340-400 from London to Helsinki with Finnair. The service started quite late into the flight and when it came by the sixth row they were out of sandwiches which meant no food. Their excuse was "we came from Helsinki", which made no sense. I have tried their pasta salad (which they still had) before and as it is not very nice I could not face eating it at such a high price. It is unbelievable that they would fly with about 3 sandwiches only on board (I saw the ones they sold prior to my row). This airlines economy class offering is now a joke. Almost same fares as BA but half the service. Huge difference to their business class which I flew a few weeks ago. Or their economy service to Asia which is fine. Had one known I would have eaten at the airport. Unfortunately I fly this route monthly and am loyal to Oneworld otherwise I would change to Norwegian - free wifi and better service (I hear). The purser did come and apologise and offered some kind of fish sandwich as a replacement but it was too little too late. But appreciated her gesture. Not the staff's fault. To finish Finnair now seems to stop you watching films etc toward the end of the flight and instead takes over your screen with lots of adverts for various companies. You can't get back to your film or map etc until after some 10 minutes of adverts.
RouteLHR to HEL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"Finnair is a budget airline"

Tried out Finnair business class on Helsinki to London route I use once a month, usually in economy as it is not a long flight. Used lounge at Helsinki which was fine except for the food which was of really poor quality. On the flight itself, the seats are the same as in economy so not much comfort. The service was friendly and efficient. However, staff did not address you by name. The food reminded me of what one used to get served in economy some 10 years ago. Plastic plates but proper cutlery. I don't think I would pay full fare for this but it is, of course, a different class from their economy where you get just coffee, tea or juice included despite rather high fares. I will possibly try their business class again but next time long haul. In the meantime I can manage sitting a few hours in their no-service economy not expecting anything anymore. Finnair is now a budget airline in all but the cost of fares. But if you can afford their business class - go for it. At least the drinks are free!
RouteHEL to LHR

"hit or miss airline"

This is a very hit or miss airline, there will be times when you will have a great experience and at other times, it will be completely miserable. My Finnair flight from New Delhi to New York via Helsinki was great. The return however was terrible. They have a terrible customer service - which is non existent. My layover in Helsinki was about 10 hours, the flight got in late. I was tired, but at the business lounge I was told that they have a 3 hour limit for business travellers, which is the most unusual thing I have heard. Checked with the help (!) desk, and they confirmed the same thing and also made it a point to mention that this was listed on their website. Which it isn't. I am not sure what the 3 hour limit is for, it's not like they have some amazing food or anything at the lounge, it is a pretty okay lounge. Next time I fly with them, will cross my fingers, or go with another airline.
RouteDEL to JFK via HEL

"disappointed this time"

(Sweden)

Return trip on Finnair from Helsinki to Hong Kong in Business class with all Asian cabin crew. Have been travelling with Finnair lots of times to Asia but this trip was the first time without any Finnish cabin crew. The crew was friendly but not as efficient as the Finnish. The midnight meal service was confused on both flights with no top-ups of drinks unless asked. I missed the Finnish FA's. The pre-ordered food on the way to HKG was fine but really below the standard on the return trip. Quite disappointed with Finnair this time.
RouteHEL to HKG
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"definitely fly Finnair again"

Bangkok to Madrid via Helsinki. We were very pleased with Finnair business class - lie-flat beds, One World member and a more competitive price than several other airlines. The crew were outstanding and friendly, proactive and nothing was too much of a problem. Finnair's business class product is closer to Malaysian than Qantas or Emirates - but was comfortable. We had one of the refitted A330s for BKK-HEL, while HEL-MAD was standard Eurobusiness (regular seats on an A320 with a vacant middle seat). Food BKK-HEL was very tasty, there was a great wine selection. The lie-flat bed could have done with additional padding, but was comfortable enough for six hours sleep. The Finnair Lounge at Helsinki was very busy, but there were seats, snacks and drinks for our two hour wait for our connecting flight to Madrid. Our return flight was in Eurobusiness on an A320 for STO-HEL then a refitted A340 for HEL-SIN. It was a pleasant surprise to get a refitted A340 for our return journey - just as comfortable experience as our first Finnair flight with efficient Singaporean-based crew. Very happy and will definitely fly Finnair again.
RouteBKK to MAD via HEL