Finnair

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Helsinki. Lost baggage and lost article with poor customer service. I had delayed baggage and was told they would cover 70 euro per day, I had flown in for meetings and had to buy cloths, 2 days later at the end of the day my bag arrived. Over a month later still no reimbursement. After multiple calls and telling me to be patient, I doubt they will do anything besides hope I just go away. When I go to the site with my case # there is no record available, they have purged my data from their customer care site. I also let an iPad in the seat pocket, within 1.5 hours of deplaning, I filed a claim, paid $39 and have received the exact same level of service. The flight was fine, customer service was poor.
RouteChicago to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"never fly again with Finnair"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | Chicago to Vilnius via Helsinki. Finnair couldn't change my flight date. Then flight was delayed for a two hours. I came to the airport and they gave me additional flight with two stops. My original was with one stop. To one connecting flight I had to run because it was less time for connection. And for another connecting flight I had to wait for 4 hours. Was very frustrating.. I will never fly again with Finnair.
RouteChicago to Vilnius via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"WiFi was not working"

Not Verified | Helsinki to Chicago O'Hare. The flight was 50 minutes late but that probably wasn't the airlines fault. My main criticism was the fact that there was less than 12 inches between seats in the last section of the plane, 3rd row. I am a woman size 8 and I could not reach my purse under the seat ahead of me. We had to clutch the seat in front of us which was of course irritating to them when we used the restroom. I never recline my seat but when the seat ahead reclined I had no choice. The flight attendants were very efficient but it seemed we were in the wasteland because we got everything about one hour after the front part of Economy. Also the WiFi was not working which wasn't a huge inconvenience. Food was okay.
RouteHelsinki to Chicago O'Hare
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"frugal and sometimes stingy"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Helsinki Vantaa on 4 Aug with AY72 and back on 12 Aug with AY71. On both legs I got into Business Class. Before booking them, I was quite surprised to know that Finnair has two daily services between NRT and HEL. My expectations for the flights mounted up, as I thought that they would offer in-flight services favorable to Japanese people. They belied me. Too frugal and sometimes stingy. They might say, “We think green, or we think of the protection of limited resources on earth. Thus we adopt the policy ‘No reading materials on board.’” I had never experienced Business Class with no newspaper available. They also say that some reading materials are available on web. Wi-fi is free for downloading the first one. The problem is that the selections are limited. Besides, on the outbound flight from NRT in-flight wi-fi was out of order. They contacted me on this matter one day before departing. No alternative solution was offered on the boarding day. No compensation whatever either. The same thing applied to their in-flight meals. I took beef steak for the main course. The portion was small. When I asked for soy sauce. I was told that it was not available. They don’t know that beef steak goes well with soy sauce, which is very popular among Japanese. Champagne remained not so cold after I asked one of flight attendants to chill it well. Still my complaint continues. I felt that their business class seats were narrower compared with those products ANA, JAL and Lufthansa offer. My verdict: To those who look forward to luxury in Business class, avoid flying with them. To environmentalists, support their policy. To Finnair, lastly, I hope devoutly that your services to Japan will not be finished.
RouteTokyo to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"attendants nice and friendly"

Trip Verified | Dusseldorf to Beijing via Helsinki. Checkin in Dusseldorf very slow, only one Staff at Counter. Must wait long time. During flight to Helsinki offered Coffee, Tea and water for free only. Transit in Helsinki fast and easy. Boarding on Time. Flight in A350 very quiet and Seat comfortable with good space for legs. Cabin, Toilet clean, Flight attendants nice and friendly. During this flight offered Asian and Western Meal and some of Wines and Drinks. Food is ok but not enough. Inflight entertainment not good choice. Ticket price over average.
AircraftA320 / A350-900
RouteDueseldorf to Beijing via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2018

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | London to St. Petersburg via Helsinki. Finnair has the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my LIFE. I got to the airport 4 hours before my flight, printed out my boarding pass and noticed boarding time was an hour after the flight was meant to depart. I spoke to an airport customer service rep and I was informed that the flight was delayed. I then decided to wait in the lounge as I had a long wait. Get to the gate at the time specified and the gate has closed. The plane had come early and no announcements were made. The door was just closing and the airport representative was not in anyway inclined to help us. Airline staff were unsympathetic and basically told use were on our own. Begged and begged and nothing. Finally went to the flight connections desk, and there were no finnair reps to assist. The only person willing to assist was a BA rep and unfortunately there was nothing we could do. The entire experience with the airline was my worst ever and as a frequent budget flier this was meant to be an upgrade for me. No apology, no assistance, no sympathy. Not only that, but they were unwilling to give us a refund or any assistance. And obviously after we got to our destination they cancelled our return and no refunds were given, or compensation, despite paying for the flight.
RouteLondon to St. Petersburg via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2018

"happy with this Finnair flight"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Flying first from Brussels to Helsinki went smooth, no delays, orderly check-in. Small snack and drink (blueberry juice) was offered. The lay-over at Helsinki airport went very easy. The check-in was very orderly. This flight was with an A330-300, which was still ok. The 2-4-2 seating is quite nice if you are travelling alone. Food was ok, entertainment I did not use much. Drinks were offered and available, staff was friendly. The return was pretty much the same, albeit now with an A350-900. As it was a dayflight I used the entertainment more. Lots of films available. A nice touch is the free wifi (not internet which comes at a charge). But with the wifi you have access to a series of (recent) newspapers/magazines, the flight information etc. At Helsinki airport it was rush hour again. In the Schengen zone it is very crowded, hardly a place to sit to be found. Food and drinks are excessively expensive. I bought the 'cheapest' snack which still valued the sausage at some 50 eur/kg! Be prepared to take your own snacks! The flight to Brussels was delayed as well but within reason. Overall I was happy with this Finnair flight, previously I used Chinese airlines but plan to stick to Finnair in future.
AircraftA330-300 and A350-900
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"Pleasant experience"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Singapore to Oslo via Helsinki. Pleasant experience with Finnair. The cabin was comfortable and legroom space was just nice for Asian height. They offered varieties of food, you can choose either western or Asian meals. The flight ticket price is average also. The aircraft which have quiet engines is really cool for passenger and you can sleep without noise.
RouteSingapore to Oslo via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I can recommend this airline"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Tokyo via Helsinki the 29th June with return from Osaka to Copenhagen via Helsinki the 18th of July. Overall a decent airline, with a good customer service. Staff were friendly and welcoming to meet the needs from customers. The bad part is that it was almost an hour delayed from Helsinki to Tokyo and almost an hour as well from Osaka due. But both time the airline gave an apology for the delay and on our way home the captain explained the reason for the delay was that Chinese airspace was closed for this flight which made the route longer. I flew with my fiancee and we got three vacant seats. The staff were friendly and allowed us to sit there on the way home. Staff were professional and served coffee and water several times in between the breakfast and lunch. They did not had the option i wanted for lunch but the stewardess were nice and spologized and checked their food and found the meal i wanted with an apology. A good airline with friendly staff and a nice, clean A350 on the long hair. I can recommend this airline.
RouteOsaka to Copenhagen via Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I recommend Finnair"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Helsinki. I had booked this flight as a mistake, I should've booked with Oman Air (Who was cheaper at the time) but then I chose too quickly. Upon realising that there was a 17 hour layover, I was prepared. I used the Qantas lounge at Terminal 3. Boarding took 45 minutes for an A321. Only newspapers were offered during boarding. We took off with a relatively empty business cabin, and the purser was attending to every passenger personally. There was a choice of beef stew with risotto or chicken and pasta bake. I chose the beef and it was excellent for a 2 hour flight. The flight landed at midnight in Helsinki, and there were napping chairs available so I had a nap for 4 hours, waiting for the lounge to open. Once the lounge opened, I grabbed one of the sleeping pods and had another four hours of surprisingly good sleep. Lounge food on offer was better than most european lounges I have seen, two hot options and plenty of cold options. Wine and alcohol selection was plenty. Upon boarding in Helsinki, I was offered a choice of blueberry juice, champagne or water. The seat on the A350 was the 1-2-1 business class found on many other airlines. However, I felt more cramped as Qatar Airways has 6 rows in it's forward cabin whereas Finnair has 8 rows in it's forward cabin. The seat in bed mode was comfortable and adequate for sleeping. Accompanied by Marimekko designed bedware, a soft pillow and light duvet. I had a great 6 hours of sleep on this flight. Food on this flight: The starter was great. Smoked gravlax and scallops. My preordered ox cheek, enjoyed with a glass of pinot noir (Unusually served in a flat glass) was excellent, although I would've preferred the food to be served in a plate instead of a bowl. But the flight attendants said that this takes time, and passengers would prefer having the food quickly rather than looking nicer. Breakfast service was quick and delicious, although those who don't like spinach wouldn't have liked the breakfast (It was a spinach omelette with baked spinach and sausage and potato bags filled with spinach) and the other options (Salmon Bagel) weren't that appetising. The crew on all the flights were well trained and very friendly. They said that there was a Finnish style wherein they don't treat their passengers too much unlike Qatar or Emirates, but they still won best business class in Europe. The purser let me visit the crew rest area, and it was surprisingly spacious. Wifi is quite cheap (19EUR for the full flight) On the way back, I used the Cathay Pacific lounge in Bangkok and the flight was quite uneventful, but the business class on these flights were full. Fast track immigration was given in London, but the baggage claim took ages at the oldest terminal in London. (Terminal 3) Overall, Finnair was a great accidental choice and quite cheap. The quality was excellent and I recommend Finnair.
AircraftA321 / A350