EVA Air

"provide one cake and one juice"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Hong Kong, they only provide one cake and one juice for this flight which left me disappointed. I will choose other airlines to Hong Kong or Macau for my flight.
RouteTaipei to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Over the moon with EVA Air"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Brisbane via Taipei. EVA Air first 16 hour flight of my life. I was lucky enough to get 3 seats to myself and sleep. Also they have mobile service and WiFi on board. That's been a first for my experience. The foods amazing. Pillow, blanket and slippers supplied free. The staff are the best, most courteous and helpful I've ever come across. Toilets are cleaned constantly throughout the flight and include floss picks, ear plugs, eye masks, face moisturiser, and a face mist that makes you feel new again and toothbrushes. Their in flight entertainment is extensive and the leg room is generous. Over the moon with EVA Air! I'll be flying them again where I can.
RouteNew York JFK to Brisbane via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2018

"very customer service focused"

Trip Verified | Houston to Jakarta via Taipei. Having flown EVA Air to Jakarta in May and having had such a wonderful experience, I decided to try them once again on the same trip. I had round trip on EVA Air to Jakarta in mid November for two weeks. This time the flight left around 40 minutes past midnight from Houston. The checking in and boarding was a flawless experience. My flight to Taipei was excellent and I experienced no issues whatsoever. I am really a very laid back person and do not bother the attendants unless I have to. During this flight there were a few people around me that made extensive use of the flight attendants and as always they are just very customer service focused and seemed fine with all the passenger issues they had to deal with. As before meal service was excellent as were the choices of meals and the quantity of food in economy. The seat was comfortable and I was able to sleep fine during the flight. The bathrooms, spotless, its actually quite amazing in an airplane with these many people for 16 hours plus.
RouteHouston to Jakarta via Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2017

"The service was flawless"

Trip Verified | This was my first time to Asia in a very long time and the first time flying with EVA Air. My experience started at check-in where the entire process was very professional and fast. Then on to the boarding. EVA Air boards by groups and they have the process very well defined as there was no crowding on to the boarding area because the lines queued pretty far from the gate agent. Once in the airplane the flight attendants all very friendly and efficient to make sure we make it to our assigned seats. This was to be a 16.30 flight to Taipei. I choose an aisle seat so as to have the ease to be able to get up at my convenience without having to bother anyone. The inside of the airplane was very nice and to me seemed spotless. My seat was very comfortable and I was able to sleep about 8 hours without any problems. We were served 2 meals and a snack, the meals offered a Chinese entree and a western entree, I chose the western entree on both meals and the food was excellent and plenty of food. The snack was a sandwich also very tasty. The lavatory that I used several times during the flight was always spotless, I was very impressed in the fact that I did see flight attendants going there during the flight and cleaning it. Very impressive. The service was flawless, the flight attendants service was impeccable and very professional. Upon arriving at Taipei, the transfer process to the next flight was impressive and very well handled. The flight to Jakarta was on a different airliner but the service was just as impressive. My return trip to the US on this airline was also flawless.
RouteHouston to Jakarta via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2017

"good value for money"

Trip Verified | This was my second time flying EVA Air (return flight from Cebu to Vancouver via Taipei). I wrote an earlier review of my Vancouver to Cebu flight. Check-In - Quick and painless. Paid online for window seats through Flight Hub when I bought the return ticket in the fall but that was not honored by EVA. Was told that there is no such paid pre-flight seat selection arrangement between EVA and Flight Hub. Grrr! I griped about that in my previous review. Settled for an aisle seat. The check-in staff were efficient and courteous. Flight to Taipei - The plane was a gleaming A321 with the Hello Kitty livery. I thought that was cool as it added to the festive atmosphere inside the plane that was packed with returning tourists. Meals and IFE were identical to my previous Taipei to Cebu flight. The cabin service was fine but a notch below that of the longer Taipei to Vancouver leg. I suspect EVA uses less experienced flight attendants for the shorter flights within the ASEAN region. Flight to Vancouver - The screening of passengers from the waiting lounge to the actual boarding area one floor down left a sour taste in my mouth. I witnessed how a stern-looking young lady, possibly in her mid 20s, was berating a middle-aged Asian couple for supposedly "not having the right documents" to travel to Canada. A big part of the problem was communication as English was a second language to both parties. How I wished the EVA staff was more professional. Instead of being overbearing and raising her voice in the hope of getting her point across, she should have discreetly pulled the couple aside and then asked another staff, possibly with better communication skills and more empathy than her, to sort the matter with the passengers, who were visibly humiliated in front of so many passengers in the queue. Incidents like this make me really angry. The flight back was excellent. New Boeing 777-300ER. Decent warm meals albeit with minuscule serving of drinks. Five-star IFE. Skilled and attentive flight attendants. (I mentioned in my first review that they needed to hone their soft skills though.) The only negative was the inability of the flight attendants to handle some of the passengers, who were part of a tour group. During boarding, some of them were in near stampede to get available overhead bins as others barked instructions to members of their group. Others were completely oblivious to their invading the personal space of other passengers while lining up for the washroom. I was seated at 69C which was three rows from the last row in the rear. Beware of that aisle seat. It did not have a restful 10-hour flight given the constant flux and occasional chatter of people going to the washrooms. In spite of the negatives some of which were beyond the airline's control, EVA represents a good value for the money. I will fly EVA again given its competitive ticket price.
AircraftA321 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteCebu to Vancouver via Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2018

"a very good flying experience"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Cebu via Taipei. My first time to try EVA, which is unfamiliar to me. I did an internet search and was pleasantly surprised to know that EVA has a 5-star rating. That set the tenor of my expectation when I flew in early January 2018. Arrived at YVR airport 4 hours prior to my flight and the lineup was already building up at the counter assigned to EVA. I waited only 20 minutes from the time the staff started the check-in process. I paid for window seats when I bought my return ticket from Flight Hub only to be told that EVA does not honour such arrangement with Flight Hub. The staff told me that this was an ongoing problem. (It is incredibly hard dealing with Flight Hub and getting back what I paid for the window seats for the 4 sectors.) My main carry-on was 7 kg. I thought my smaller bag with my laptop, tablet, chargers, etc. would be okay given what the online baggage guidelines say. Was wrong and asked to transfer some of my stuff to one of my checked-ins, which was below the limit. In fairness to EVA, the staff were very courteous. Boarding was organized and uneventful. The flight was fully booked. The Boeing 777-ER300 was either brand new or newly refitted. I was assigned to a middle seat next (46J) to the emergency exit. Acres of legroom but no overhead bin for my bags. The meals were decent but drinks were consistently served in minuscule volume compared to what I am used to with North American airlines. The washrooms must have been cleaned and restocked at least twice during the 13-hour flight to Taipei. In-flight entertainment was top notch featuring the latest Hollywood offerings. 5 stars! In-flight service would have given 5 stars too but I cannot. The cabin staff were efficient albeit in a cold manner. They need to beef up their soft skills and learn the art of making passengers feel genuinely welcome. Smile and say welcome in a way that jives with your non-verbal cues. Gently take the bag of someone who is struggling to find space in the overhead bin instead of brusquely grabbing the bag without saying anything or making eye contact to assure the passenger you are there to help. Transit in Taipei was smooth and quick. We changed to an A321 for the flight to Cebu. The boarding gate was changed the last minute. I had difficulty understanding the instructions over the PA. A few other non-Chinese passengers had the same challenge. I got to Cebu in one piece after a three-hour flight. Thanks to EVA Air. Overall, it was a very good flying experience.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A321
RouteVancouver to Cebu via Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"inflight service good"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok. Travelling with 2 passengers with special needs and wouldn’t let us all sit together. Due I’m told by Heathrow ground staff to odd system of spitting cabin seat allocation between Bangkok to Taipei leg and Bangkok to London leg. Extremely disappointing start to holiday. No help from twitter feed and no confidence they’ll fix for return journey. Hence low overall score and value for money. Food and inflight service good.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2018

"seats were comfortable and spacious"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Flew A321 from Taipei to Incheon. Overall a good flight! I received an email before the flight to say that I'd been automatically checked-in, though when I arrived at the airport, I still needed to go to a machine to print my boarding pass, then line up to drop off my bag and answer the question about the contents of my luggage etc. Therefore I really wonder what on earth is the point of auto check-in — it seems pretty much redundant. Plane was clean and comfortable and in good condition. We waited over an hour on the tarmac before taking off from Taipei, seemingly due to heavy traffic at the airport, but the crew gave little information about this, which was a little frustrating. I got a gluten-free meal, which was really tasty - much better than the one on the flight to Taiwan from Korea. The seats were comfortable and spacious enough, although there is no personal entertainment — this is a little disappointing for an otherwise high-quality, full-service airline. Once we finally took off, the crew were friendly and efficient and responded efficiently to my requests for extra drinks. There is some need for the crews, captain included, to improve their English pronunciation ability.
RouteTaipei to Incheon

"Overall a good flight"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Flew A321 from Incheon to Kaohsiung. Overall a good flight. I got a gluten-free meal, which, as is mostly the case, was a bit tasteless, but okay. The meal service felt a little more rushed than it need to be. The seat seats were comfortable and spacious enough, although there is no personal entertainment — this is a little disappointing for an otherwise high-quality, full-service airline. The seat-back tables are quite small and slippery, with an ineffective drinks storage spot, also the flight was a bit turbulent, so the crew were only able to hand out tiny amounts of drinks; lest they slide off the tables, I guess. Therefore if you are thirsty you need to keep asking for refills. Plane landed ahead of schedule. Crew were friendly and efficient although there is a lot of room for improvement with English — especially pronunciation.
RouteIncheon to Kaohsiung

"Another faultless flight"

Trip Verified | Another faultless flight with EVA from Bangkok to London Heathrow. Great staff, friendly and helpful. The seat is one of the best business class products around with comfortable bed, good TV and plenty of storage. Although the food is primarily Asian there are Western options, and more is available to pre-order. After trying numerous other carriers to the Far East I have yet to find one that matches EVA for a consistently good product and service.
AircraftBoeing 777-35E(ER)