Airline of the Year

Eurowings

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

Verified Review | London to Berlin. I booked onto this flight notifying the airline that I was flying with firearms only to be rejected at the airport as they did not have the booking on the system after I specifically spoke with the staff. Unfortunately I had already booked onto a flight to another destination with the firearms at a later date and faced similar problems. This airline is a joke taking weeks to respond to any emails sent will little or no help charging per firearm? In future I will pay more and have less hassle. Buy cheap buy twice as they say. Totally disappointed.
RouteLondon to Berlin
Date FlownMay 2017

"very nice and friendly"

Verified Review | Cologne to London (LHR) with Eurowings operated by Germanwings: We started with an on-time boarding, and as I walked on the plane I was greeted by a flight attendant, very nice and friendly, I made my way down the aisle to my seat in 10A. I arrived at my seat and noticed that it was the exit row, and I asked the flight attendant if I could sit somewhere else. He replied "sure go ahead and sit behind this row." We also departed on-time, approximately 30 minutes after take off the crew started service, and once again I was quite surprised, because I did not expect to get a snack on this short flight, the crew also handed out drinks to everyone on board, and the rest of the flight was comfortable as I had the whole row to myself, as we arrived in London we were in a waiting queue for landing, however that was OK as we arrived still 10 minutes early.
RouteCologne Bonn to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I was positively surprised"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Zurich via Cologne. I was positively surprised by their premium economy ("best") product. All ground services are as in Business Class: priority check-in, fast track security screening, lounge, priority boarding. When flying "best" you find yourself in a small, private section in front of the plane. During your flight you could order alle their items on their wings bistro. They have a nice variety of products. The presence of the crew during the flight was so-so. But when you called them they were always happy to serve you. The crew was very young and seemed not very experienced. There was hardly any interaction between the crew and the passengers. The seat is the same as Lufthansa's premium economy: great recline, enough privacy. Very limited entertainment options.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBangkok to Zurich via Cologne
Date FlownMarch 2017

"problem with customer service"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | Vienna to Düsseldorf. Fairly good experience on board, I have problem with customer service and their claim issues. Broke my 300€ worth luggage, and refuse to pay for it. The customer service is arrogant as heck. I don't recommend them at all.
RouteVienna to Düsseldorf
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"crew was very unhelpful"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Milan Malpensa to Cologne. The crew was very unhelpful during onboard procedure just dictating rules without proposing solution or helping to stow luggage. I asked for a sandwich and coke, but I've been told to wait until the dinner was served to passengers that had ordered it. I already had the exact change in my hand and the trolley was in front of me. I waited for them to get back but no one showed up again.
RouteMilan Malpensa to Cologne
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the absolute worst airline"

Verified Review | Zurich to Düsseldorf via London. I arrived at the airport in Zurich to be told nothing of my delay. I was suppose to take a flight from Zurich to Düsseldorf to Heathrow. My first flight was delayed for weather I was told by a random passenger. Apparently I heard later employees went on strike. The delay lasted 4 hours then I arrived in Düsseldorf where are next flight was canceled and I waited in line to speak to a representative. There were about 100 of us in line. They decided to just shut down for the night and not help anyone. A representative said I could book a new flight or hotel and they would pay for it. He gave me a card to call or email for help. After calling the number I realized it didn't exist. Then, I wrote an email and never heard back. I had to book a hotel and buy a very expensive ticket out the next day. In terms of travel this was the worst experience I have ever had. Attached is the photo of a useless number and email that I wasted my time trying to contact. This is the absolute worst airline on the planet.
RouteZurich to London via Düsseldorf
Date FlownMay 2016

"impoliteness of the crew"

Verified Review | Hamburg to Amsterdam. I was very dissapointed with the way I was treated by the crew, specially by a lady from the cabin crew. The flight was delayed, which can happen. But how hard is it to give the people waiting in line a heads up? Then by entering the plane it was hard for the crew to great their customers. I greeted them in their language and asked if there maybe was any room for my suitcase (which was the size it was allowed to be). The answer was no. I asked what I was supposed to do. She said in a very unpolite way that it could be packed downstairs. I was a little bit shocked by the impoliteness of the crew. If you become a cabin crew I think one of the first things you learn is to be polite! It was not my fault that the flight was delayed.
RouteHamburg to Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"avoid low cost on long flights"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Varadero to Cologne with Eurowings. First time I used a low-cost company for a long-haul flight. Put it simply, avoid using low cost on long flights unless you have no other options. I knew the remarks / complaints about the company so I was well prepared and it fullfilled my expectations. First some good points: Check-in was very fast as well as the boarding. Departure on time and arrival in advance (great!). New equipement and safe feeling. Now the negative: Food: don't expect anything grandiose from it. Actually the cold meal is just 2 big bread slices with a thin layer of ham. The main complaint is that you would get something better for a cold meal you order on board. The thing is, you paid extra for this meal. Comfort: seats are in textile material which is not the most confortable for long flights and the maximum angle is limited. Cabin atmosphere was horrible. Relation with the cabin crew: so, so. That's the main problem with low-cost company, a seller-buyer feeling where the company wants the cuts the expenses at maximum while letting you pay for each extra. Premium economy (understand extra legroom) was a plus and corresponds with 34" while standard seats are 30" but there are some good seats among the standard economy seats with no seats in front (row 30 and row 4 in the A330-200). While it appears that the seat space was the same (for standard economy) as Ryanair seat it felt that there was more space. Also interesting to note we had to pay 100$ to get to the best class for the smart fare and 150$ for the basic fare. Interesting if you're hesitating for a best seat. I'm not sure however this stands for all flights. In the end I wouldn't recommend this company unless for short flights or if you don't have any other options. After the flight I regretted not to have booked a 15% more expensive flight with another company. However the basics are met, alive, on time and overall good logistics.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteVaradero to Cologne
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"certainly fly with them again"

Verified Review | Flew Eurowings from Stansted to Cologne and back using Germanwings aircraft. Fare was very competitive and opted for the Smart fare which includes baggage and a snack. Both flights delayed because of fog at Stansted which was not the fault of the airline. The seat was comfortable with good leg room. Crew efficient and friendly. I would certainly fly with them again.
RouteStansted to Cologne
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a dry, cold bread"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Vienna to Cologne using their Best fare option. Business class price with economy service for loyal Lufthansa customers. The a la carte 'meal' (a dry, cold bread with two slices of cheese and a drink) and only bus boarding at departure and destination is a shame for a 900 euro return flight.
RouteVienna to Cologne