Etihad Airways

"Please be a little generous""

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I flew Etihad last 16 September from Frankfurt to Manila via Abu Dhabi. From Abu Dhabi to Manila, that is about more than eight hours (8 hrs) flight. After about forty five minutes of flying, a full meal was served which I am assuming to be breakfast. I chose a chicken with noodles meal. To my surprise, the thin rice noodles contain two small pieces of chicken, and it was extra spicy (which was not mentioned by the stewardess). To top it all, the appetizer was a mixture of some vegetables with the same type of noodles with a sour-sweet-spicy vinaigrette! I did not eat the bread as it is too much for me. I ate a small amount of dessert. Then, more than halfway of the journey, I was getting hungry already (we are above Bangkok). I asked the stewardess if they are serving food again and I was told 'Yes!'. So, the food came and it was a choice between sandwich or noodle in a cup! I told the stewardess I want both as I am too hungry! I was told 'only one, and if there will be extra, I will come back and give you.' The sandwich is a pan with mostly tomatoes (Mexican-type flavor),I ate all of it as I am very hungry. Later, the stewardess came with the same sandwich, and I politely declined. This is more than an eight hour flight, and for passengers two smaller meals will be healthier than one full meal. If you had a breakfast at 9am, after five hours, you will feel hungry, and want your lunch. I just felt Etihad is not sensitive to these passengers. Please be a little generous and give healthy food.
RouteFrankfurt to Manila via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"most pathetic customer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to New York via Abu Dhabi. The most pathetic example of customer service I have ever experienced. The cabin crew unfriendly at every interaction giving a general sense of disdain for the passengers on board. Generally confrontational reactions to any request, including hour long waits for additional snacks (we only asked once), refusal to provide additional blankets to children and the elderly passengers. Unable to handle detour, exceptionally poor communication and confrontational staff. The flight could not land due to bad weather. Delays totalling 12 hours were experienced between landing in Toronto and departing Toronto the next day. A total wait in Toronto of 32 hours. On landing in Toronto, a 5 hour delay during which no food or beverages were given and people were refused blankets because they were “reserved for the next flight”. On entering the airport all passengers were left to fend for themselves. No communication on where to go, who to see or what the detailed plan was. All we knew was that we would be put up in a hotel for the night. On the flight to New York, waiting for 4 hours for a 1 hour flight supposed to depart at 7pm but departed at 11pm. The highlights during this time being a rude “customer service” employee of Etihad making veiled threats to Muslim passengers who were understandably irate (as was everybody else). A pilot who called the police citing unrest on the plane due to many passengers questioning the air hosts about our departure time. We were then fed constant empty promises of departure in 15 minutes from 9pm to 11pm. The food was terrible. I will never fly Etihad again. The customer service rot at Etihad runs right through the organisation, from the airline staff to the airport customer service staff, the call centre staff and pilots.
RouteJohannesburg to New York via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMarch 2018

"flying Qatar in my next trip "

Trip Verified | Sydney to Athens via Abu Dhabi. After paying close to full price on a couple of business class flights I am left significantly underwhelmed. Today after finishing off a phone call with an Etihad contact centre rep I feel disappointed. Ground staff at Abu Dhabi have been given next to no training in customer service and come across as disinterested at best. Staff barely made eye contact and blunt in their communication and generally obvious that they were unwilling. 2. Contact Centre: downright rude and unhelpful. I didn’t even get to finish a sentence and was ordered to contact my travel agent and then once I somehow managed to correct them (ie that the issue was not travel agent related) was ordered to visit the website to make changes. Website / apps are hopeless. Good luck trying to book a chauffeur service through this portal. Business class seats, now starting to show its age, not as comfortable on long haul as say a Qantas seat even though it looks more flashy. Food is hit and miss, some dishes were ok, some were way overcooked, overall average. In summary I am left considerably underwhelmed. Will be flying Qatar in my next trip who are much better in all the above.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 787
RouteSydney to Athens via Abu Dhabi

"A very poor service"

(Pakistan)

Trip Verified | Karachi to Toronto via Abu Dhabi / Brussels. A very poor service by a well-reputed airline. I had heard that it would be a bad experience before my travel, but didn’t expect it. Unfortunately, we got a 2 way ticket and have to return back home via the same airline. However, wouldn’t recommend or travel again with this airline. It was a sad, unexpected experience. Pros: - nothing (all airlines give the basic, infact the service by other airlines even in economy class is commendable) Cons: - a very inconsiderate & mismanaged crew staff (trust me, it matters) - we had opted for a baby bassinet, but after our 2nd layover we had to pay 120euros to get the baby bassinet (no courtesy in their ground staff either) - it would sound funny, but no toy for a baby. It was a first for me. Why choose this airline when there are other better options.
RouteKarachi to Toronto via Abu Dhabi / Brussels
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"This is totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Melbourne. On boarding for the 13 hour flight which departed at 10am I was offered a glass of juice and my meal order was taken. I was told the meal would arrive in a few hours. Soon after take off the cabin crew darkened the window shades indicating they were encouraging passengers to sleep during the day time flight. I would have thought drinks would be offered and served soon after take off however this was not the case. There was no offer of coffee or any other drink. I also thought lunch would arrive around three hours later as promised. Nothing arrived. I didn't mention anything as I know how busy things can be. 7.5 hours after take off I was offered a coffee. Still no meal. I mentioned I was becoming hungry and have waited for my meal. No response. Cabin crew were largely invisible during the entire flight. 11 hours after departure the flight attendant offered me a coffee or pastry which I declined as I said was still waiting to be served lunch. He walked away. Soon after another flight attendant placed a bottle of water on my table and walked away. That’s the limit of inflight service I experienced. There is absolutely no excuse to have to endure a thirteen hour flight without a meal. Surely the flight attendant knew I was not served any food. He took the order. He knew the order was to be served. He knew it was not served. He knew he had not removed any plates from my table. I fly business class between Australia and Europe every year, usually on Etihad. My experience with Etihad is the service is inconsistent at best and to expect little. In thirteen hours I was served only a glass of fruit juice and a bottle of water. This is totally unacceptable in any class of travel. My complaint to Etihad resulted in an offer of 5000 points in their frequent flyer program. I am not a member. I checked and it would offer me a cheap cap for my trouble. Etihad customer relations seems to regard its customers with as much contempt as some of its flight attendants. I have already booked next year's flights to Paris, but with a different airline. Every year with Etihad there's yet another issue.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Melbourne
Date FlownJuly 2018

"miss our connection flight"

Trip Verified | Cairo to Los Angeles via Abu Dhabi. On 12 September flight number EY658 scheduled for departure from Cairo at 1AM was delayed by 3 hours that made me and many other passengers miss our connection flight to Los Angeles from Abu Dhabi. Etihad Airways in Abu Dhabi airport twisted my arm to take flight going to Washington they said if I didn't take it I'm not getting anything I'm going lose the ticket, so I had to take the flight to Washington and from Washington there was a connection flight going to LAX. Eventually I arrived lax by 10pm instead of arriving 2pm first of all fligh has 1 stop more expensive than flight has 2 stops. I asked them to pay me back the difference as it's my right they refused and they was so rude about it. I lost my non refundable $485 domestic flight taking me from LAX and I had to stay at the airport for 12 hours to catch first flight going to Austin.
RouteCairo to Los Angeles via Abu Dhabi

"plane was half empty"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Abu Dhabi. This was a comfortable flight as the plane was half empty and we were able to lay down on the whole row. The lunch was very good and tasted fresh. The flight attendants this time were professional and attentive. One flight attendant provided me with a blanket to use as prayer mat and gave me a whole bottle of water when I asked for a glass.
RouteLos Angeles to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"ended up being brilliant"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Moscow to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi. I really don't understand all the negative reviews here. I have read them all and was preparing for a horrible experience, but Etihad ended up being brilliant, and I can't wait to fly with them again. Moscow - Abu Dhabi flight. I have selected seats online before they discontinued the free seat selection, and surprisingly all my selected seats stayed intact. Check in was quick and orderly, boarding commenced on-time. Our 3-year old Airbus 321 was very comfortable, with wide seats and decent legroom in economy, as well as an updated and fast IFE system. Cabin crew were very pleasant, smiling, well-groomed and efficient. The meal service was without menus, but you could look up the meals for your flight online on Etihad website - it matched 100%. The metal cutlery made the whole experience classy. Meal service included complimentary wines, beers (Stella Artois and Budweiser), gin, whiskey, rum and vodka, plus non-alcoholic beverages. Cabin crew were generous with the drinks, mixing cocktails and giving out extra beer and other drinks to whoever asked them. I had the hindu meal, and it was very filling and healthy. IFE had few movies in Russian, but I guess that is to be expected, but the movie library in English was great and appealed to my taste. When I asked for a beer in the middle of the flight, the cabin crew member gave me two cans, saying "why have one when you can have two". Transit in Abu Dhabi was very quick and painless, but I wish we had jet-bridges instead of buses to the terminal. Abu Dhabi - Bangkok boarded via jet bridge, on-time once again. The flight was quite full, but I managed to score an empty seat next to me. Boeing 777-300 is a bit less comfortable than Airbus 321 due to seat width, but the seat pitch is still very much okay, and the experience is still good. The cabin crew passed with towelettes and water before takeoff, which was a very nice touch. IFE was a bit less responsive, but the content was the same. Meal service was amazing, I have never had such delicious dishes on the plane in economy. My hindu meal was simply mouthwateringly delicious, and I wouldn't mind getting this food in a cafe on the ground. My mother had Fish Sayadiah, which was just exceptional as well. Drinks were, once again, poured liberally and generously, with crew making a first full round of drinks with a small savoury snack before the meal, the second one with the meal and once more after the meal. Bangkok - Abu Dhabi. Check in was lightning fast, and the ground staff at check in and at the gate were lovely, smiling, cracking jokes and being efficient and the same time. Boarding was on time, very orderly via boarding groups, and done via jet bridge. The plane was a Boeing 777-300 again, and the onboard experience mirrored the one on the previous flight - a lot of drinks, friendly, smiling and polished crew, delicious meals, adequate seating, great IFE. Abu Dhabi - Moscow. This flight was on an older Airbus 320, with sluggish IFE system, but it still was perfectly ok. What was not ok, however, was the fact that armrests on this airplane didn't go fully up - only like 45 degrees. Due to the armrest situation I struggled to get comfortable and lie down. Cabin crew were amazingly friendly, polite and eager to assist for a flight that departed at 3am. The flight was quiet and uneventful. Overall, Etihad exceeded my expectations, and I will gladly fly them again!
AircraftA321 / A320 / Boeing 773
RouteMoscow to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not courteous and with attitude"

Trip Verified | Amman to Abu Dhabi. Outdated plane, filthy seats and bathroom. They changed plane type and that messed up seating arrangements. We boarded plane very early and still the flight was delayed. Staff not courteous and with attitude. Food quality is very low as we are offered a bag with two tasteless semi-sandwiches. Overpriced and below quality, which has been on the decline since September 2017.
RouteAmman to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"flight was quite unconventional"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to New York. Aside from being long, this flight was quite unconventional. I was sitting in seat number 48 K (the first economy cabin where the stairs are). The flight attendant treated the passengers as if they were an inconvenience. She even went out of her way and roughly “knocked” the toilet door at me and asked me to “hurry up, please” because an old lady was waiting her turn and was apparently in her way. Etihad needs to get crash courses from ANA, Japan Airlines or Qatar Airways on how to treat passengers. Also, who serves spicy chickpeas and lentils on a 14 hour flight!
RouteAbu Dhabi to New York