Airline of the Year

Etihad Airways

"cabin crew extremely attentive and helpful"

Verified Review | Flew Abu Dhabi to Brisbane. Good: Business class suite in dreamliner was extremely comfortable for a long-haul flight. Great lie-flat bed, comfortable pillow and blanket and bed made up by cabin crew, comfy pyjamas supplied, lots of space to put your stuff, nice toiletries provided. I slept well for about 7 hours. Food was excellent, as was the service. The cabin crew were extremely attentive and helpful. Bathroom for business class was not as cramped as economy, with hand lotion and face spray on offer. Questionable: The entertainment on offer fell far short of virtually any other airline I have flown - there were very few quality movies or TV shows to watch. A bit disappointing for such a large airline. The lighting and different buttons for everything needed quite a bit of explanation. Outgoing flight delayed so my baggage missed the connecting flight in Brisbane.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2017

"it was difficult for staff"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Dhaka. Almost 99% passengers on that flight was Bangladeshi and it was difficult for staff to keep everything in order where most of the passengers don't speak English and also passengers were not aware of flight safety. I suggest that as Abu Dhabi to Dhaka passenger is Bangladeshi, they can make a short video about flight safety and other important things explained to passengers in Bengali language.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Dhaka
Date FlownJune 2017

"appalling standard of the food"

Verified Review | I flew Manchester to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi (return) with Etihad. The return flight was delayed due to technical issues but overall the flights were comfortable given I was in economy class. My gripe was with the appalling standard of the food. I've flown Etihad many times over the years and at one time the food and in-flight service was very good in my opinion. That's all changed. The fodder they dish out now (in mean portions) is dreadful. In years gone by you received a little menu describing the meal choices available. That has been replaced by the cabin attendant shouting, "chicken, beef or pasta?" over the noise of the engines. Many people would argue that if you want decent cuisine you should fly business not economy. Perhaps but the food in economy was unacceptable. Next time I will choose another airline.
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"luggage stuck in Abu Dhabi"

Verified Review | New York to Kuwait via Abu Dhabi. I arrived to Kuwait 3 days ago, and my luggage got stuck in Abu Dhabi and didn't get shipped back to me until now. My stay in the country was only for 3-4 days, and I had to spend time shopping for clothes. I've been calling for the past couple days and never got a solid answer to when my luggage will arrive to me. I fly back tonight, and my luggage is still not be back yet. I won't recommend this airline, as this is the second time this happens to me. thank you!
RouteNew York to Kuwait via Abu Dhabi

"Crew attentive throughout"

Verified Review | Generally excellent albeit I was avoiding the horror that is a transfer at Abu Dhabi airport. Check in was slow with only two desks open for economy passengers, a long queue ensuing. Push back was precisely on time, as it generally is at Perth - which must be among the best performing airports in the world on this measure, with a 30 minute early arrival in Abu Dhabi on an airbridge - a rarity. With the flight less than half full plenty of space to stretch out. Notwithstanding, leg room on this newish plane was ample, far better than Qatar for example, the seat comfortable enough. Excellent IFE selection - I passed the time watching the men's semi finals at the French tennis open live from Roland Garos / BBC news reporting on the election - with large high quality screens though these were not without issues namely light and distraction, I question whether it is appropriate for films with extreme violence such as The Revenant to be made available on IFE, especially when you have no choice to switch off. Crew attentive throughout with regular water runs but no recognition of my Gold status. The two special meals supplied - vegetable curries - were tasty if a little basic, no sweet. Extra plus point, however: I was provided with my choice of drink with the meal, a matter invariably 'forgotten' by crew on previous flights. Wifi was available but not used. Bags delivered within 15 minutes of leaving aircraft. In the taxi on my way home 25 minutes after the wheels touched down.
RoutePerth to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"was one of the best flights"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Paris via Abu Dhabi, I was upgraded from business to first class. First Class on the A380 is another dimension in terms of comfort and service. Lounge in Melbourne is sensational and the service superb. Boarding was smooth and escorted to suite 2C. Promptly offered a glass of Champagne and cabin crew introduced themselves and explained how all the buttons etc worked. Take off on time and an excellent meal followed by some movies and then the bed was made up for me and slept for 7 hours. Gently woken for breakfast and landing superb. Flight to Paris in 777-300 which was in excellent condition and again the crew were great. Dine on demand and constant checks on water requirements etc. This was one of the best flights I have had.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteMelbourne to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"I am extremely disappointed"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Abu Dhabi. I am extremely disappointed in this airline I have had numerous problems occur within one trip with them. Firstly they overbooked my flight by 4 people and I was one of the people who had to go on a different flight, I was unhappy so they gave me a $300 Etihad transport voucher to compensate. That was fine however when I landed in my destination my luggage had been mishandled by Etihad in a transit through Brisbane. I didn't get my luggage until 2 days after I had landed. When my luggage arrived to my house the handle on my suitcase had completely broken off and it was fine beforehand. I tried to at least earn miles from this awful experience. I joined the Etihad guest membership online and followed the instructions to claim miles with them through email. I sent an email to them 3 days ago still no reply other than an automated message saying "we have received your email we will reply asap". So I wasn't able to claim miles for my flight. I wanted to use the voucher given to me worth $300. I often fly to the UAE so I found a flight to Abu Dhabi partly operated by Etihad airways via Hong Kong from New Zealand. I called them to confirm I could use my voucher on a flight which is partly operated by Etihad and I was told I could but I have to call them directly to make a booking. I called again to make a booking and was told I couldn't use my voucher on a flight partly operated by them. I can't use my voucher on any flight operated just by them because they don't fly in or out of New Zealand which is where I live. I'm very angry at this company and their unprofessional staff.
RouteHong Kong to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"belligerent staff at check in"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Flew Etihad Airways from Sydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi. Going out I would have said it was one of the best airlines I had flown with but changed my mind on the return flight with the abysmal treatment I was given by a belligerent staff member at check in at Manchester airport. One of the reasons for picking the airline was that I had a 30kg allowance and on fronting up to the desk my bag weighed 29kg. The staff member said it was too heavy and when I explained I had the 30kg allowance she would not accept this and told me to empty some into the rubbish and queue up again. I did this and 2 1/4 hours later I was at her desk again. My bag now weighed 26kg and she said I had to pay 94 pounds and could have 32kg. Not only had I run out of time to retrieve my goods from the rubbish I then had to pay this amount and carry on. I was appalled at the treatment and really disillusioned by the whole process and would be reluctant to fly with this airline again! My hand luggage complied with the rules.
RouteSydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"very disappointed and upset"

Verified Review | Flying Etihad for the first time from San Francisco to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi. Usually fly British Airways which has a much better service. I had asked for a Hindu meal which said no beef. So here I am in Business class and everyone is ordering off from the menu and when I asked for something from the All Day Menu, they tell me I cannot order anything at all as I will get only the two fixed meals. No snacks, no appetizers, nothing at all except for the 2 assigned meals that they have on board for me. Am so very disappointed and upset. Doesn't help that the people next to me have been eating continuously. So on a 12 hrs flight I get 2 meals and nothing else. I have traveled economy in Qatar and been offered snacks, sandwiches etc - never again.
RouteSan Francisco to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi

"a wonderful flight"

Verified Review | Again a wonderful flight with Etihad from Hyderabad to New York via Abu Dhabi. It is our third time with them. The primary consideration is fare and convenience, and Etihad checked the boxes again. The flight itself was very comfortable, on time, but it was the staff and service that makes them our favorites. The small but useful convenience kit even in economy is a nice touch. The seats were standard, the entertainment more than adequate and the food average. Slept 8 hours in the 13 hour flight. Comfortable blankets and the head support on the seat is a nice thing to have. Check in was smooth, baggage arrived intact, connection was a breeze, and the US pre-clearance meant that exit at JFK was easy. One thing to keep in mind is the 45 minute to 1 hour wait for the pre-clearance for US flights. Will fly them again in a heartbeat.
AircraftA321 / A380