Vote Now

Etihad Airways

"no respect or helpful approach"

Verified Review | Manchester to Sydney via Abu Dhabi. Manchester ground staff were lovely and are not included in this review. Firstly we booked tickets and due to circumstances we wanted to change the name on one of the tickets. Even though myself and my husband paid for these tickets apparently we don't own them, they belong to the person whose name is on the ticket. So now a person who didn't fly or pay for the ticket no owns a free ticket to use for themselves!? No money can ever be returned. We had an accident at the airport which meant that we couldn't fly on our original flight. And we were assured by Etihad Airways management that we would be put on the next possible flight with minimal costs to us. £20-30 max, however the truth is it cost us an additional £1900! Why when the accident which required my 2yr old to be rushed to hospital from the departure lounge! Assurances and results seem to be very different from management at the ground to the sellers on the phone at the head office. On the new flights it seemed completely unorganised and irresponsible that Etihad Airways thought it was perfectly fine for my 2yr old daughter to be sat on her own without myself or my mother who was attending the flight just to help with the children. The ground staff in Manchester worked tirelessly making sure that this was corrected before we boarded. However it seems that Abu Dhabi staff are less interested and treated me with disrespect and disgust. I stood at the gate for over an hour trying to sort out the mistake they had made to be told by their manager that I can either board the flight and have my 2 yr old sat alone or I can stay in Abu Dhabi, my choice. I was also traveling with my 1 yr old son who I bought a seat for as the flight was too long for him to not have his own space. Now I as told that passengers with infants get priority seating i.e. The space and the options of bassinets for baby's which was one of the reasons for booking with Etihad. However I was not given this either other parents were but I wasn't. I boarded the flight to be told on board that my daughter could sit alone and my mother alone elsewhere on the flight and myself to sit with my son on my lap. Without the seat I had paid for him! And this to the staff was completely acceptable and because I was getting increasingly distressed at the prospect of my 1 yr old without his seat or a bassinet and my 2 yr old sat alone for a 14hr flight, they dealt with it by stating my son doesn't have his own seat and that if I didn't calm down I would be escorted off the flight! The air staff took my 4 boarding passes from me and never returned them. An Australian member of ground staff, who treated me very disrespectfully told me as I had no proof of my 4 boarding passes lost by the staff I had no right to the additional seat for my son. If it wasn't for a couple giving up their seats for me and my children I don't think I would have ever taken that flight. We took off with my son without his seat and my daughter sat beside me and with me in an attempt to try and hold down a 1yr old and 2 yr old myself. All in all my family and I paid up to £6k for these flights which I have to say was possibly the worst 32 hours of my life because Etihad Airways have no respect or helpful approach to traveling families in Abu Dhabi. They were awful to deal with and deny that they made mistakes like sitting a 2 yr old on her own! Or giving me a seat which I paid for. Terrible service and never fly with them if you can help it.
RouteManchester to Sydney via Abu Dhabi

"avoid Etihad Airways"

Verified Review | Munich to Male via Abu Dhabi. I went to the Maldives with my wife. Since this was booked as a package holiday it unfortunately only included economy seats. So we asked the check in agent in Munich for a paid upgrade, which we were granted. I paid the approximately 700 Euro (for one of the four segments) by credit card and was handed over the business class tickets. We went off to do some last minute shopping at Munich airport when about 10 minutes later an public announcement (probably airport-wide, since we were already in the central area) was made that asked us to return to the checkin counter. At the counter we were told by the Etihad "Guest Services Agent" in charge that "unfortunately" our initial tickets were not upgradable and we cannot not keep them (not even by paying more etc.). No choice, no regret, no sorry. While I do understand that there are corporate policies regarding ticket upgrades, the described behaviour (of recalling already issued boarding cards) is unacceptable. It doesn't even make sense from a corporate standpoint since the seats remained empty for the flight. Furthermore our initially reserved economy seats were given to somebody else in the meantime. That also meant that we didn't even receive our pre-ordered special meals. According to the cabin crew member somebody else got it instead. I complained to Etihad about this but got nothing but a dull and worthless standard letter. By no means was this middle eastern hospitality or "five star" service. Two lessons I learned from this experience: Book business class right away and avoid Etihad Airways (not only for the experience described above but also for the horrible and dirty airport in Abu Dhabi which would be another story for itself).
AircraftA340-600
RouteMunich to Male via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"I don't recommend it"

(Iran)

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Tehran via Abu Dhabi, the worst international flight I've had. Even though I had an economy ticket, for such a long distance, I expected a slightly more comfortable travel. Everything was at its very basic: narrow, cramped seats, low-quality food, broken headset. The amount of money charged for the extra luggage was too much. I had to pay more than 300 dollars at the airport. Moreover, it was my first flight experience where I was allowed to have 7 kg cabin bag with me and not more (it is usually from 8 to 10 kg). This also caused me trouble. All in all, this will be my last experience of travel with Etihad Airways and I don't recommend it to anyone else.
RouteLAX to IKA via AUH
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"last time with Etihad Airways"

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Munich. Extremely disappointed in Etihad Airways and Abu Dhabi international airport facilities. More than 30min queuing at the online check-in counter. Etihad customer service is less than useless, penalties to change travel dates costed me the same price as I initially paid, after raising a complaint on Etihad's Facebook page I received the answer 'you can call customer service if you want to complain about any issue' though I was complaining about their customer service. Aircraft to travel to Munich is very old. We are not allowed to use the entertainment services until take off despite the delay in departing. Etihad travel mall for bus shuttle from Dubai to Abu Dhabi does not pick up phone calls outside of working hours (though buses are departing at any time). I use Emirates or Qatar Airways for all my trips and never faced so many negative points even when travelling to developing countries. First and last time with Etihad Airways.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Munich
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"crew cordial and professional"

New York-JFK to Abu Dhabi with Etihad Airways. The aircraft was very cramped compared to the A380 I had travelled inbound to JFK. The flight was completely full, which will hopefully encourage Etihad to operate their A380 or Boeing 787-9 on the second flight to JFK as well. We were served food thrice on this flight and the pre-booking option for the meal allowed passengers to choose from a huge variety. IFE system was decent and had a good variety of TV shows and movies to choose from. The flight was delayed for reasons we weren’t made aware of. The check-in was smooth and cabin crew was able to get the passengers settled quickly and minimize the delay. The cabin crew was cordial and professional for this flight.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteNew York JFK to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2016

"won't be flying with them again"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Manchester to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi. After flying with this airline in the past both business and economy I vowed never to fly them again. However, as I was looking for a cheap flight back to Thailand after a trip to the UK for a family bereavement I went for the cheapest one-way and they were the cheapest at the time of looking. In Manchester, at the check-in which was in itself an ordeal, I arrived 3.5 hours before departure only to be in a huge queue that stretched back around coffee machines and public toilets due to lack of space. This was because only 3 check in desks were supplied for economy, the rest were for online check in. In other words, don't check in online and you will be treated to being tended to last and at the back of the queue. I wouldn't have minded but those who took a chance and went to the online check in were still seen to despite not having checked in online, which resulted in chaos for the rest of us who tried to go by the rules. Then, I had to put my hand luggage into this metal cage to check for size. My hand case was 3kg under the 7kg allowance, but wouldn't go in this metal cage lengthways as it was 2cm too long. They then informed me that to take my hand case onboard, I would be required to cough up GBP155. Due to my wife's quick thinking, as the case wasn't new, we discarded it and put the contents into plastic bags. With reluctance, they agreed this was ok so I lost my case yet didn't give them the satisfaction of stripping me of GBP155. After trying to recover from the stressful check-in, once on the aircraft, we had to sit for 1.5 hours due to the usual delays. Then, chaos ensued at Abu Dhabi transit. Hundreds of people fighting to get through with no organization and a gate area so small that everyone was queuing for what seemed like miles outside the gate area. To be fair, the crew on both legs were attentive and very good and no complaints with regard to them. Etihad are a disgrace and I won't be flying with them again!
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"same double standard is felt"

Verified Review | Trivandrum to Abu Dhabi. Almost all the time, the flights to Trivandrum are the old ones, while the flights to Kochin are better or newer versions. This happens every single time. People pay the same amount of money but get different service. The flight was a safe ride, but they missed serving me a meal and I had to request one. The inflight entertainment system needs to be updated since its an older version and cannot handle the new E-Box version. The cabin crew seems not too much interested to respond to requests. The economy class did not have a mobile / laptop charges, the same segment flight to Kochin has these amenities. The same double standard is felt in the business class sector. GCC to India flight sector mints money, why not give us a good quality product. Food menu has not changed and for the frequent traveler, this gets very monotonous.
AircraftA320-232
RouteTrivandrum to Abu Dhabi

"shame on you Etihad"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Milan via Abu Dhabi. Due to an accident occurring to me while on holiday on the Italian seaside, I was not fit for fly and I had to postpone my return home to HK. The person I spoke with over the phone was very clear to emphasize the USD 200 change date fee, however, he didn’t disclose any amount related to “taxes and fares”. He simply dismissed me with the standard statement: “I cannot provide an exact figure at this stage”, which was not true. He could have provide me with a reasonable expected amount by simply check on his computer. As it turns out, Taxes and Fares summed up to an extra USD 392. The total amount I was supposed to pay for one way only, was even greater than the original return ticket! No need to say that I have booked the one way tickets for me and my wife with a better company, Cathay Pacific. Shame on you Etihad, taking an economical advantage over your customer misfortune is really a disgraceful business practice.
RouteHong Kong to Milan via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2016

"nobody responded after many follow ups"

(Pakistan)

Verified Review | Lahore to Chicago via Abu Dhabi with Etihad. First, flight was delayed 8 hours, then they re-routed the flight via Washington and added extra layover with 6 hrs waiting. Customer service is worst I have ever seen. I tried to reach their Chicago office at least 10 times, nobody responded. Food was average. I wrote them email - they replied once, we will investigate. After that nobody responded after many follow ups. I had to pay extra to book my hotel and they also ruined my weekend plans.
RouteLHE to ORD via AUH / IAD
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"lacking a little care and warmth"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Cairo via Abu Dhabi. The planes are latest, the comforts are many, the gizmos are advanced, the staff look sophisticated, yet what is lacking is a little care and warmth. The A380 packs a lot of people but the service does not commensurate. For nearly 45 minutes services does not start and once the stewards come to your seat after a long wait you ask for as simple thing as a Ginger Ale for myself and my wife and they just give one saying that there is no stock. Also if you have a connecting flight there is no one at the airport to guide. The A380 Mumbai to Abu Dhabi flight on 20th January was bit delayed and by the time it arrived the boarding time for the connecting flight to Cairo already started. Given my experience with other airlines, I was hoping there would be someone after we come out from the flight to guide us to catch the connecting flight which might have aleady commenced boarding. There was none, the security is so crowded. I seek a help of one of the airport guys saying that I need help to reach the gate quickly to which he asks someone to help only to find that guy is busy over speaking on his mobile. Seeing that, the airline staff guides us to go through a lane that could clear the security fast and it was such a haste and hurry in the process forgot to pick up a few things that were put to security check. Since many passengers have a connecting flight, it is important that the airline and airport extend guidance and help instead of leaving them unattended and force them to scramble scurry all by themselves.
RouteMumbai to Cairo via Abu Dhabi