Etihad Airways

"lack of customer centricity"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Chicago via Abu Dhabi. My bag was delayed, arriving Chicago the day after I arrived. That happens occasionally, and in itself would have been acceptable. What is not acceptable is that Etihad took many escalations over 8 days after arrival to trace and deliver the bag. Further, Etihad is trying to avoid issuing the nominal reimbursement I sought under the guise of legalese. This is absolutely unprofessional behaviour all around. Once the bag arrived in Chicago airport, it seems to have vanished into a black hole. The status file disappeared from the baggage tracing link on Day 2. On Day 3 and 4, Phones to the number at Airport were not picked up. Emails sent to airport got no answer. Tweets to etihad got no response. It took three calls to Customer Service (over next 4 days) before I reached a manager who could reach airport manager who initiated delivery. Its been nearly 5 weeks after the travel date, but Etihad is unwilling to initiate a reimbursement. My mistake that I was trying to be nice in making the claim. On tweeting about the reimbursement, Etihad said their records showed baggage delay of only one day. This, when I have mail from Etihad baggage team more than a week after my arrival, trying to plan delivery. Amazing lack of customer centricity. From an airline which gets rated as one of the best!
RouteMumbai to Chicago via Abu Dhabi

"Very rude staff"

Verified Review | Dallas Ft Worth to Hyderabad via Abu Dhabi. Very rude staff at check in counters, was threatened that I will be put on 'no fly list' just because our carry-on bag is an inch longer than the specified measurements. My finger was cut in the process of trying to fit it in the bin and was forced to apologize to the staff at the boarding gate or I will not be allowed to board after I checked in and passed thru security checks.
AircraftBoeing 777-200LR
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Hyderabad via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"experience has been just average"

(Pakistan)

Verified Review | Lahore to New York via Abu Dhabi with my husband, 10 year old son and 2.5 year old daughter on 20th June 2017. We returned to Abu Dhabi on 9th August. We are booked to fly to Lahore on 13th August 2017. This was a family holiday and we were all very excited. We had heard great things about Eitehad and had very high expectations. Unfortunately our experience with Etihad has been just average. The only incredibly positive point was the immigration at Abu Dhabi Airport which saves the hassle of long waits at JFK after a long flight. The flights on the 20th of June had a staff which was curt and not at all interested in going the extra mile. The staff on the 8th August flight was much warmer. But we had another disappointing experience when an elderly lady who was traveling alone, felt unwell and was weeping with extreme cold and discomfort we reported it to a female stewardess. She gave her hot tea and told her, rather firmly not to weep. My husband asked a fellow lady passenger to put on some socks on her and comforted her. The lady stewardess never returned to check on her even once. This was when 6 hours of the flight were still left. This is not the kind of care and attention one expects from any airline, especially the one which claims to be the best. The food quality and taste was below average on all the flights. The flight to Abu Dhabi on 8th August served a meal which was vegetarian only, had no other option, and the taste was disappointing. They had nothing for the kids other than the kiddie meal, which was the same Pasta both times. There were no extra Chocolates, crisps or cookies available. Kids do tend to get hungry on a 14 hour flight.
RouteNew York to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"nothing dreamy about this Dreamliner"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Flew Cochin to Zurich via Abu Dhabi. Hugely disappointing. Had in my head that Etihad would be as good as the other UAE airline. I was wrong. Etihad has a confusing business strategy. They purport to be a premium airline (which perhaps they are in the premium cabins but the best airlines get it right across all products. These were my first flights with Etihad, there was nothing really bad about the flights but there was just nothing really right about them either. Seats on both flights were tight, not very comfortable. Food on the first flight was ok but the food on the second flight was awful. Drinks selection very average. Abu Dhabi airport is at best underwhelming, chaos, perhaps the new terminal will improve things. I don't drink booze flying but had I wanted to I didn't see any on offer. Service was lacklustre on the 787. The 787 as with everyone that uses this aircraft should have been a chance to really improve customer experience, with Etihad there was nothing dreamy about this dreamliner. I got the flight with miles so at least it didn't cost anything to find out that its not an airline I would choose to fly with again. Very average all round. Oh one good thing the ground staff in Cochin were very helpful.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 787-900
RouteCochin to Zurich via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"experience was a bit disappointing"

Verified Review | It was our first flight on an Etihad A380 flying from Marseilles to Abu Dhabi via Paris, and I must admit the experience was a bit disappointing comparing to the experience I had with some other airlines that also fly the A380. The legroom was far less than on the B777 we had on the outbound flight, and I also felt the seats to be narrower. Food was very average, with only two meat options offered and not even a piece of cheese. Service was also minimalist, as no one bothered to offer us any drinks outside of meals, on a 7 hours flight. You had to go to the galley, where attendants were chatting to get some water. Not impressed at all to be honest. The only positive was the entertainment system.
RouteMarseilles to Abu Dhabi via Paris
Date FlownAugust 2017

"no longer as it used to be"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Shanghai. I have been flying Etihad Airways for the past year from September 2016. The first time, I loved the service, the food, the wifi service on the plane and service by the cabin crew. Today, I am missing most of the thing I loved from Etihad because the food is terrible, wifi is not accessible anymore (at the beginning I used to pay about 30$ for unlimited traffic for 24 hours, now is 20$ for 180mb) and the service is no longer as it used to be. Therefore, I can say that the airline has been getting worse and worse.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"regard for passengers appalling"

Verified Review | London to Male via Abu Dhabi. My wife, myself and our two young children (2 years and 6 months old respectively) flew last night from London to Abu Dhabi. Had our flight left on time we would have had two hours to catch our connecting flight to Male. This didn't happen and our flight left London roughly two hours later than it should have done which put our connecting flight at risk. That said we had made up some time and landed at 8am with our connecting flight was at 8:40am. The warning signs appeared on the flight when the crew were evasive when asked for advice, simply telling us to talk to the Etihad 'transit staff'. After we rushed off the plane we were apprehended by the transit staff who made us sit in a waiting area for ten minutes without offering an explanation. We gave up on this and ran to our gate, arriving at 8:25 only to be told we needed to have been there five minutes prior to this point in order to Board (20 minute limit is imposed). We were carrying exhausted young children and at this point my wife burst into tears. We were then shuttled to another transit area, on foot which took ~30 minutes, half dragging/carrying our poor kids. The line at this location was about an hour and a half long with one staff member dealing with ~60 similar issues by themselves. If you ever need to see how a company treats its most vulnerable, captive passengers this place gave it all away. Most of the women were in tears. At this point our children were close to breaking point but we were fortunate to find a kind Etihad employee walking by who took us to alternative transit area. There we were told we had been re-booked on a 00:55 flight and we would be put up in a £40 a night hotel 37km away. The staff in the transit area were aggressive and refused to discuss the logistics of how we were supposed to get two small children, without buggies/strollers, to this destination. Most importantly they refused to discuss why we would have to wait 15 hours when the airline could not have waited five minutes for us to board. Eventually we were able to relocate to a closer hotel but I write this 7 hours later and we are yet to receive a call telling us where our luggage is. We critically need this because our 6mo old son needs milk, nappies and a change of clothes. Taking him outside in 45c heat to try and find the above is not really acceptable. My final gripe, and I appreciate this is a high quality problem, is that we have now missed a night in a hotel we spent a year planning and saving up to visit. Etihad refuse to discuss compensation and their website doesn't offer any advice. I also believe we are entitled to EU flight delay compensation but they're attempting to use the loophole that since we were changing flights outside of the EU this doesn't hold! Please take care when flying in economy with this airline. Their regard for passengers below business/first class is appalling as is their indifference to the conditions young children travel in.
RouteLondon to Male via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"surprised in a positive manner"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Amman to Manila via Abu Dhabi. It was my first time flying with this airline and am very pleased and wish to commend the airline for accommodating people with disabilities. I flew with a knee brace after I injured my knee while. I was very surprised in a positive manner that the aircraft have toilets for PWD. Also the crew accommodated me in a seat where I could stretch my right knee in a relaxing way. Kudos to the flight crew and management for accommodating me and making my flight experience much more pleasant.
RouteAmman to Manila via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the service was impeccable"

(Kuwait)

Verified Review | Flew Kuwait to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi with Etihad. Boarding was effortless at both airports. Despite several negative reviews, the service was impeccable beating all odds. Cabin staff were courteous and attentive and also had a brief chat at the bar. Seafood meal was interesting and sumptuous. Chauffeur at Mumbai Airport was an excellent ride home. The only big negative is the Abu Dhabi Airport which is not Etihad's fault. Sad to see the A380 pulled out from Mumbai route.
AircraftA321 & A380
RouteKuwait to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2017

"cancelled out of connecting flight"

Verified Review | Cairo to San Francisco via Abu Dhabi. My flight from Cairo was delayed 2 hours and was not notified via email but upon check in. I was able to get my boarding pass to my connecting direct flight from Abu Dhabi to San Francisco. I was cancelled out of my connecting flight and booked on a different flight while in the air. My family tried several times to re book me on my original flight and were the told that they could not. I arrived an hour before my connecting flight, rushed to the gate and was told I could not get on or change my flight. My flight had been changed without my approval to a non direct flight with an 6 hour layover in Abu Dhabi and another 3 hours layover in LA. I was given a pass to the lounge where I was told I would get a room and could sleep. When I got there I was told there was no rooms available. I put two chairs together to sleep and was woken up and told they had to be separated. Their customer service is awful! I could have made my connecting flight but they wouldn't allow me. I will never fly this airline again and urge you not to either. It is not worth the hassle, aggravation and stress of it all. An original 23 hour journey turned into 38 hours because of incompetence on the airline personnel.
RouteCairo to San Francisco via Abu Dhabi