Etihad Airways

"Ground Staff are terrible"

(Bangladesh)

Verified Review | Dhaka to Milan via Abu Dhabi (returning from Rome) in business class. Ground Staff are terrible. Either they can't communicate or don't know how to behave with customers. From Abu Dhabi, they didn't pick my luggage to my connecting flight to Milan. Staff of Security (where you need to check all belongings) are terrible. I approached for priority check for business class. But without asking me the staff roughly indicated to get in the mass. Power point for charge didn't work! The cabin crew told that it will work after flying and he flew away from me. The entertainment and movie collection is so limited. Can't complain about the food. Now waiting to catch the last connecting flight. Wish me luck.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteDhaka to Milan via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I would avoid it in future"

Verified Review | Flew with my wife and two kids, including an infant, from London to Kochi via Abu Dhabi. I was initially told when I booked my tickets that bassinets were given on a first-come-first-served basis and I couldn't book them in advance. This was wrong. When I phoned a few days before the flight the customer agent said I should have requested the bassinets with my booking and that my child would have no bassinet on the Abu Dhabi-Kochi flight. Rather shocked to hear this I asked her to confirm the bassinet arrangements for my infant. She was rude and petulant - unbecoming of a good customer service agent. The service on board was nothing to write home about. We had an A380 on the London to Abu Dhabi sector and an A320 for Abu Dhabi to Kochi. The stewardesses hardly cared or bothered how we were coping with our little baby. It seemed just giving us a bassinet was the most they could do. One Arabic boy who cried a lot got a lot of attention. I felt there was preferential treatment toward people based on their appearance and ethnicity. Most of the cabin crew seemed to be Eastern Europeans or Arabic. The meals were disappointing: portions were small and not very tasty. The only good points were the aircraft, which were in good condition, and the inflight entertainment systems. I thought overall the airline was lacking in basic customer service skills and I would avoid it in future.
AircraftA380/A320
RouteLondon to Kochi via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"customer service is horrific"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | First time to fly with this Airline, and I swear it will also my last. My inbound flight to LAX from AUH had no issue. But my outbound flight from LAX to RUH via AUH, I think Etihad management should be aware that their LAX ground crew behaves like they are having picnic in the park (noisy chatting and laughing while checking in passengers) and the in-flight meals from LAX-AUH (in our seats/rows) we were served vegetarian meals not only once but twice, the stewardess reasoned out no other options as they ran out of meat or fish but hey, it happened 2x during the 16.5 hours flight? And the worst of all - the check in process from Abu Dhabi to Riyadh, it's highly disorganized, first time I've seen such check-in chaos in my more than 20 years of air travels. What happened with Etihad's ground staff? I should thank though, it was a safe travels, but customer service is horrific!
RouteLos Angeles to Riyadh via Abu Dhabi

"cutting costs everywhere"

Verified Review | Mumbai to New York via Abu Dhabi. Ground service in Mumbai disorganised, but worse followed in the zoo called Abu Dhabi airport. The staff there are rude, dismissive to most foreigners and particularly to Indians. Service on the shorter flight was alright, but to New York on the A380 was one of my worst flights ever. The food standards are terrible and such small portions. (My seat neighbour that flies them more often said the airline is cutting costs everywhere due to their problems.) Staff came to serve meals but were quick to hide in kitchens after that. The overhead bells were ringing fairly constantly and staff do not attend to most of them. I've got the return to face in 2 weeks and not looking forward to it. Last time I flew Qatar Airways who are so much better, but unfortunately I cannot change my return booking on Etihad.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A380
RouteMumbai to New York via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"read that Etihad is in trouble"

Verified Review | London to Abu Dhabi in business class, EY20. Seats on A380 are okay although rather narrow when you try to sleep and feel very restricted. That's about it, as the service was awful. Staff seemed reluctant to offer any service, food had to almost be demanded and once served they leave you alone to the point of forgetting you. What they did serve seems to confirm everything I had read that Etihad is in trouble! Small meal portions, poorly heated and well below biz class standards. Part of my trip out to Singapore GP this was a cheap late ticket, and I am so relieved we are booked with a group to fly back on Qatar Airways, who seem to be one of few airlines to maintain their quality standards. Abu Dhabi as a transit point is sheer hell and to be avoided if you can help it.
RouteLondon to Abu Dhabi

"Seats very uncomfortable"

Verified Review | New York to Lahore via Abu Dhabi. Seats very uncomfortable. Very hard seat cushion and very less legroom for such along flight. Abu Dhabi Airport is the worst in in its class. Line to the bathrooms was stretched out all the way to the middle of the lobby, at least an hour wait and the bathrooms were smelly and flooded. Personally I think it was one of the most traveller unfriendly airport. This airport has broken escalators and have hardly any flight displays to find out your flight info. Will never travel Etihad Airways again.
RouteNew York to Lahore via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"airline has been cutting corners"

(Oman)

Verified Review | Dublin to Abu Dhabi. I have flown this airline a number of times in the past, but I will do everything in my power to avoid doing do in future. This airline has been cutting corners for a while now, despite the contention that it is a five star airline. This is a long distance budget airline. It cuts costs by, for example, in Dublin, sharing the budget terminal with Ryanair. Recently, like other budget airlines, it has been enforcing carry on baggage rules - 7kg for a carry on bag, 5kg for a second bag. They will force you to juggle weight around your various hold/ carry-on luggage until you meet the required standards. They quote "safety restrictions' despite the fact that even other 'budget' airlines allow a carry-on limit of 10kg. They won't listen to reason if you point out that the plane will carry all the combined weight of one's luggage in any case. They will insist that you go to the end of the queue to carry out this farce. And finally, if you have anything fragile, they won't, of course, allow you to carry it in the cabin, but will force you to put it in the hold. They broke my guitar in this way. They even forced me to sign a waiver, stating that I was not entitled to any compensation if it should get damaged on route. When I refused to sign the waiver, they said they wouldn't take it. The result, of course, was a cracked and unplayable guitar. Thanks Etihad, thanks for breaking my guitar! If this isn't enough, the old terminal in Abu Dhabi is an outdated, confused mess, with constant queues for malodorous, inadequate toilets, and smoking rooms that resemble old telephone boxes. I will do everything in my power to use their competitors for that route, Qatar Airways, Emirates or Turkish Airlines and urge others to do the same.
RouteDublin to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"experience was impressive"

(Tanzania)

Verified Review | Dar Es salaam to Seoul via Abu Dhabi. The experience was impressive, the cabin crew are doing a wonderful job, clean aircraft and toilets, the smiles and service wowed me. The thing that they should improve on is the food - not good at all, the presentation the plating is awful - honestly how do you plate "breakfast" on a foil paper (and that breakfast is a piece of pie). They need to check what other airlines are doing.
RouteDar Es salaam to Seoul via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"cost cutting severely in place"

(Bahrain)

Verified Review | Bahrain to Bangkok return via Abu Dhabi in Business. I have been gold with them for some time and always sang their praises. Overall all flights on time and in some cases early. The crews a mix of engaged to those who looked panicky/disorganized to didn't want to be there. Lounge in Abu Dhabi fine, but the airport is creeking at the seems, all flights were by buses with the exception of BKK. Lounge in Bangkok small but fine. It is now evident cost cutting is now severely in place, no more Limos, no more wash bags, cheaper wines and the food onboard is Economy. It was a joke, outbound to BKK was a two egg omelette, with a tomato/ bread and tea. I kid you not, they have reduced the snacks to three offerings being chicken and crisps. The return was soup or mezze, mains were insulting with Biryani (rice), chicken breast with mash or Veg pasta. I must say the outbound crew were super and professional but the return looked like they all hated each other and the atmosphere was evident. Standards are slipping badly but to top it off the attitude of the ground staff has never been good in Abu Dhabi, they all need intense training on customer service and get them engaged or else fire them as they have a rude, lazy, arrogant attitude. One particular was the man boarding the outbound flight to BKK, he snatched my passport, didn't even look at me, was too busy laughing with his colleague and then with out looking at me still, thrust the passport back in my face still laughing with his colleague. That is not acceptable. I was loyal but after this trip not that interested. I'll stick to Emirates or Qatar Airways.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 777-300
RouteBahrain to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"had a really poor experience"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Manchester via Abu Dhabi. I've had a really poor experience with Etihad, I've had to get 4 flights with them over the past week - each flight has been delayed by at least half an hour. My flight from Abu Dhabi to Manchester was delayed by 3 hours and the plane was still being loaded with baggage at the new departure time. I'm still watching the plane being loaded as I do this review but I'm expecting to board at least an hour after this new departure time, I won't be suprised if it's 2. The inflight experience has been average at best. If you're thinking about using Etihad I would suggest that you expect to board at least 20 minutes after take off and don't make plans in the next 24 hours after you arrive, you're bound to be disappointed and it's much easier to manage your expectations this way
RouteBrisbane to Manchester via Abu Dhabi