Top 100 Airlines

Etihad Airways

"overall quite a bad experience"

Verified Review | Bangalore to San Francisco via Abu Dhabi. he staff was not at all welcoming and lacked courtesy. The food was okay and they provided the meal selection that I made at the time of booking. The flights were on time. Not many movies of interest to me, and the headphone jack had a problem! So overall quite a bad experience.
RouteBLR to SFO via AUH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"a very positive experience"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi. The main reason to chose Etihad was the price, and despite the overall longer travelling time (at least 6 hours to FRA) it was worthwhile. The seating in economy class is never great, but Etihad seem to make to make it tolerable. The A330 2-4-2 configuration is pleasant enough if you travel with a partner and manage to get a window an aisle seat. Overall not a bad experience. All flights departed on time and arrived slightly ahead of schedule. Cabin service friendly, efficient, and helpful. Quality of food above average. In flight entertainment offers more than enough options. Overall a very positive experience, and one needs to consider the price of the ticket. For around EUR 500 return you can't expect business class service, and any review must take this into account. Flown business class on Etihad before, and that is a different story altogether (in a positive meaning). Just one negative remark. On the return flight from FRA to JNB we exceeded the luggage weight limit by 1.5 kgs between the two of us (i.e. 750 grams each!), and the check in clerk forced us to to unpack two books and transfer them to our hand luggage. I agree that there must be a limit, but a little bit of leverage would really be appreciated. On the other side, when you see what some passengers bring on board as hand luggage, you wonder how they got away with that.
AircraftA330-200/300
RouteJNB to FRA via AUH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"surprised by such low standard"

Verified Review |Brisbane to Berlin via Abu Dhabi. The flight from Brisbane to Abu Dhabi with Etihad on a Boeing 787, about 13h flight. Very slow ground staff, might not be fault of Etihad but rather BNE airport, average friendliness, no issues with check-in though. Flight crew extremely bored upon boarding, no welcome, etc. I am of average size (1.75m - 75kg) and usually do not complain, but the size of the seating space is a joke for a 13h flight. I did the similar distance from Brisbane to Doha or Dubai, but never felt that locked into a seat. The seat rows are that narrow, that you can't appreciate the decent screen as it is too big for the distance you have. So watching movies is not really enjoyable. Reclining and sleeping is not really doable. Food quality is definitely not more than average and quantity is not enough. IFE with a big and good screen, average selection of movies. Wifi OK. Crew were bored and not particularly helpful, poured beer over my pants and instead of saying sorry I was explained why it happened. Toilet cleanliness for the amount of passengers quite good. Safety very good. Abu Dhabi to Berlin operated by AirBerlin on an A330, about 6h flight. Seating with more space than on the 13hr flight with Etihad and quite comfortable. Food was more and at least the same quality than on the 13h flight with Etihad. A bottle of water handed out right at the beginning, that should also be standard on a flight >10h! IFE was average, not much options, Wifi OK. Toilet cleanliness for the amount of passengers quite good. Safety very good. Overall never been that negatively surprised by such a low standard, especially of a carrier like Etihad. It clearly shows that all effort is spent on Business and First class. Ticket price was quite competitive though. Definitely do not recommend Etihad on this flight in Economy but recommend AirBerlin for this flight in Economy.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A330
RouteBNE to TXL via AUH
Date FlownAugust 2016

"one should look for upgrades"

Verified Review | After a horrible flight with Etihad in Economy from Brisbane to Abu Dhabi I decided to upgrade on the return flight. The money is well spent and the difference is amazing. Had to get my boarding pass printed at the Airport in Abu Dhabi. I was initially told that they can see my upgrade and also that payment was received but they would be unable to print my boarding pass. What?? I was told to call the call center. Thus I got a bit loud and eventually they did the calls and I got my boarding pass printed. Not the very best ground staff service, but at least my request was done in time. Service onboard with very attentive staff with any kind of request throughout the flight. Seat with good privacy. Lots of storage space and tables to eat or work. Seat can be converted into a flat bed, mattress provided, very soft and comfortable blanket and nice pillow. Provided pyjamas and toiletry quite good. Distance to screen perfect to watch movies in a relaxed upright or reclined position. Food of excellent quality and good selection of a la carte dishes as well as snacks. Good selection of drinks. IFE with average selection of movies. Quite good selection of music. Wifi OK. Cleanliness very good and safety very good. Overall the difference between Economy and Business is like day and night. Whereas I would not recommend Etihad on my flight in Economy I do recommend it in Business class. Etihad Business class is very expensive compared to other carriers and one should look for upgrades rather then directly booking Business.
RouteAUH to BNE
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"Will continue flying Etihad"

Brisbane to Paris return via Abu Dhabi in economy class of the Boeing 787 . The economy seating in the Boeing 787 felt very cramped compared to Boeing 777. Earthy tones are a great look and ambience, however does make it seem a little squishy, especially on a long haul night flight. Food was of a high standard (and my special request meal was never forgotten). Enough room to stretch out over four seats on the flight from AUH-CDG. Pleasant cabin crew on all legs of the journey. Great in light entertainment. Long (and somewhat unorganised) process to clear border security in Abu Dhabi when getting to connecting flight. Will continue flying Etihad on future holidays to Europe based on condition of the plane, attention to detail from flight attendants and overall satisfaction with value for money.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / 777-300
RouteBNE to CDG via AUH
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"thanks Etihad - not impressed"

Verified Review | Riyadh to London Heathrow via Abu Dhabi. First leg of the journey was with FlyNas (Riyadh to Abu Dhabi) chartered by Etihad which arrived 50 minutes late and resulted in me missing the second leg to London, I was forced to wait in the airport for nearly 5 hours for an issue that was not my own. I arranged to sit at the front of the economy section / took no 'hold' luggage and arrived at the airport in Riyadh 3 hours early all just to be on the safe side. The irony is that the initial delay in Riyadh was down to a passenger clearing security! Selling flights to London with a 1hr transfer time at Abu Dhabi is nothing short of irresponsible, and it’s the passenger who has to suffer. The transfer desk in Abu Dhabi was appalling with a scripted comment and a voucher to stay in a hotel which when you consider the transfer to the hotel and back and the need to attend the airport two hours before takeoff, the whole thing was nothing short of a waste of time. The return trip from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi was marginally better although late again. Where I and fellow travelers were expected to run through the terminal, scan our bags at the security point and join the bus for the plane connection with just 5 minutes to spare - do Etihad really expect their customers to worry whether they will arrive on the date or somewhere near the time printed on the ticket, experience the added anxiety of wondering whether their late arrival flight will make the stand in time for a sprint to the aircraft or suffer the indignation let alone the sheer inconvenience of a significant wait. Direct flights only people or you may get burnt - you have been warned. Thanks Etihad - not impressed.
RouteRUH to LHR via AUH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"studio seating is fantastic"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to London return via Abu Dhabi. I'm a platinum member with Etihad. I will say that the use of the Louis Tavern Lounge in Bangkok for premium passengers is a disgrace and I now arrive at check-in at the last possible minute because it's not worth the walk for some stale sandwiches. Bangkok to Abu Dhabi on 777 with warm welcome from cabin manager and food from the set menu or all day dining menu. Flight was on time. Food was great and we were seated in the middle section of the cabin. Abu Dhabi to London on the A380, the studio seating is fantastic and slept most of the way with breakfast served 1 hour as requested before arrival. We didn't eat after takeoff as we ate in the lounge before the flight. Fast track service meant I was out of the airport with luggage and in the chauffeur car within 30 minutes. Every time I fly Etihad my luggage is coming off the belt as I arrive. Return was more of the same with no problems and slept from London to Abu Dhabi (A380) since it was the night flight with breakfast before arrival. Flight from Abu Dhabi to Bangkok (777) was great. I had light breakfast after take off and one hour out of Bangkok had the steak sandwich. The cabin crew were poised and bathrooms clean. I've never had a bad flight even when flying economy which I do from time to time when flying with the extended family.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A380
RouteBKK to LHR via AUH

"I enjoyed the flights"

Verified Review | My return trip from Seoul Incheon to Abu Dhabi was enjoyable. The service on board was consistent with previous flights and the warm greeting and friendly chat with the cabin manager was a nice gesture. The service from ICN to AUH was only breakfast instead of a full meal, unlike the return leg, which meant no dessert. But the All Day dining menu included ice cream as an option. IFE was good but I preferred to take advantage of the lie-flat bed instead and slept during most of the flight. My only gripe was that pajamas weren't provided since the the 10.5hr flight was deemed a 'long haul' and pajamas are only provided on ultra-long haul flights, eg. from AUH to BNE. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the flights and highly recommend the product.
AircraftA340-600
RouteICN to AUH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"a joke of a business class"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Edinburgh via Abu Dhabi. First time with Etihad and would be my last, only my return flight is with them. An old business class seat on A330 is rubbish. For two entire 8 hour flights I could feel passenger behind me kicking due to seat layout. When I lay flat, person behind has feet next to my head. With feet on ottoman in front, whenever passenger in front moves, I am shaken in my seat. Result was almost no sleep. Seat also barely long enough for me at 6 feet tall. First flight from Hong Kong the cabin crew very cold and uninterested. Second flight AUH-EDI, entire family clearly bumped up from economy replete with crying newborn baby. I was surrounded by them. Man behind me kicked my seat the whole flight, snored loudly and farted repeatedly which continually wafted its way toward me. Baby cried nonstop. Same family also held up the biz class bus to the remotely parked aircraft. Result = Biz pax on the apron waiting in the bus while economy boarded first. And throughout the night the cabin crew checked on me zero times despite clearly being awake. Received one meal of breakfast. No respect for people paying top dollar to fly in comfort by bumping up economy pax. This is a joke of a business class. I am flying the same circus on the return leg next week. After that, never again.
RouteHKG to EDI via AUH

"entertainment is brilliant"

Verified Review | London to Abu Dhabi return with Etihad. The staff are friendly and worked hard to keep my two children fed throughout the flight. We ordered the asian vegetarian meal which was delicious but my kids found it a little spicy so the crew gave them an alternative which they loved. The entertainment is brilliant and sufficient to pass time. The seat is comfy and you can adjust the lumber support. A380 aircraft was very new and a lot quieter than other aircraft. Also liked the touches like handing out hand towels and small bottles of water before take off.
RouteLHR to AUH