Etihad Airways

"disgraceful cost cutting"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. Worst Business Class experience ever! To begin with, Etihad hands out amenity kits to its business class passengers on select routes only, BKK-AUH not being one of those routes. What a disgraceful cost cutting measure. Meal service was lousy. The main dish was lukewarm, my wine glass not refilled once and when the flight attendant took my plate away, she did not even ask if I wanted cheese or dessert. Same flight attendant had to be reminded to return my garment bag to me after landing which she had stored in a closet before take-off. I have been flying with Etihad for many years now. The decline from first to last in class is truly amazing. I am beginning to understand the deeper meaning of their slogan "flying re-imagined"!
RouteBangkok to Abu Dhabi

"overall great experience"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Edinburgh via Abu Dhabi. I was very impressed with Etihad Airways. The flight was delayed due to weather, so I missed my connecting flight (also Etihad Airways) but the airline had re-routed me onto another flight to reach our destination. My baggage arrived at my final destination on time, without any issues, despite the delays, missed connections, change of route etc. The staff were very friendly,. The seats were comfortable, food was good, and overall great experience! Would fly with them again.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Edinburgh via Abu Dhabi

Etihad Airways customer review

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Johannesburg via Abu Dhabi with my parents. The flight Mumbai to Abu Dhabi was supposed to be operated by Jet airways at around 5:05 am. The flight was cancelled due to the runway problem caused by heavy rainfall in Mumbai. After informing, both the airlines tried to avoid the issue by sending us to the counters of other airways. The only thing Etihad did just provide us the customer care phone number in India. I came to know the customer care was unable to re-schedule the tickets until they receive the confirmed report about the flight cancellation from their partner airways (Jet). We really surprised after knowing that customer service can only re-schedule the tickets in normal office hour, even after such kind of emergency. We managed to receive the re-scheduled tickets after 5 hours. Meanwhile, I sent an email to Etihad for the re-scheduled tickets at 6:50 am. Till today, I did not get any response. I lodged the complaint to the Etihad feedback) on 10th Oct 2017. I received the reply on 13th Oct from the Etihad guest relation officer who insisted me to liaise directly with Jet Airways (Note that I lodged the complaint to Jet airways on 3rd Oct and were not interested to discuss the concerns I raised. I am waiting for the correspondence from Etihad till today but Etihad is trying to ignore the issue and insisting to deal with their partner airline. 2. My parents were returning from Cape Town on 31st Oct 2017 and reached Mumbai on 1st Nov 2017. The wheelchair facilities were booked for them in Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi airport for transfer. They did not get the facilities in Abu Dhabi airport. We are waiting for the response from Etihad after lodging the complaint on 5th Nov 2017.
RouteMumbai to Johannesburg via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"more like 3 stars?"

Verified Review | Sydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi. How does Etihad get 5 stars rating, when their true standards are more like 3 stars? I chose them because they were the cheapest ticket (even less than China South Airlines!), but wish I had paid more. Seats were truly cramped, and the aircraft looked tattered but worse it was quite dirty. Bathrooms were disgusting near the end of the second flight. Food portions very small and cabin attendants seemed very unhappy to be serving (or not!). Used Qatar Airways last February and they are so much better.
RouteSydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"needs to improve the cleanliness"

Verified Review | New York to Colombo return via Abu Dhabi. Colombo to Abu Dhabi on a small A320 aircraft. The economy class was over 90% full and it was very hot. I informed to a flight stewardess. She offered me another seat by the emergency exit row, which did not make any difference. Return flight from Abu Dhabi to New York was not a full flight yet it took nearly half an hour for the cabin crew to respond after hitting the button. Finally, we ended up walking to their kitchen every time we needed water. Food from JFK to AUH, the dinner was awful. Coming back to JFK from AUH, the food was excellent! Etihad did not offer me a choice of food for breakfast. Etihad needs to improve the cleanliness of their economy class cabin. Etihad could offer wifi onboard for free or at least improve the service. I purchased 5MB for 30 mins for $4.95 but it lost the connection within the first five minutes, while I still had 4.8MB left. Very disappointing!
AircraftA380 / A320
RouteNew York to Colombo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"very unhappy with this behavior"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Phuket via Abu Dhabi. Several people in Etihad’s customer service (by email and on the hotline) gave us different answers. This is disappointing and confusing for us. Several times their customer service confirmed to accept our ticket via email on 20.08 and hotline on 07.11 that we will able to check in. They booked us into their system (however only the return flight instead of both flights). After we called customer service on 07.11 again, Etihad employee sent us a ticket (both ways), and confirmed again that with this ticket we will be able to check into our flight. Since on 10.11. one flight was still not visible on Etihad website, we called the hotline again. We were then informed that they won't accept our ticket. We are left confused if Etihad will honor their previous promises. Also we are very unhappy with this behavior. If they make promises they should keep them. If they don't intent to keep promises then better don't make any promise at all. Now we have buy new tickets shortly before we fly, which are very expensive now, comparing to 3 months ago. I already contacted the consumer protection organisation about this topic. Also I want to warn other potential customers to be very cautious before putting trust into them by sharing my story.
RouteDusseldorf to Phuket via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"No responses yet after 3 weeks"

(Slovenia)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Belgrade via Abu Dhabi. This is not review about the flight itself but the customer service and the user experience. The problem for me started when I arrived at the airport and they noticed that my wife switched my name and surname when registering the ticket. They notified me that the ticket is invalid and I cannot use it at all. I had to buy a new ticket which cost me 2x more than the one I already had. Since the problem was that only name and surname were switched, this is something that is totally unacceptable to me. When I arrived at Bangkok I tried to get in touch with the airline to learn if I can be at least partly refunded for the ticket that I was not able to use. On the web they say to contact them over Facebook page so I did. The response on the messenger took a few hours but they said to send the question over email. So I did. No responses after 5 days. I found online also the email address to where I wrote the same question. No responses yet after 3 weeks except the autoreply that they will look into my request. After not getting any response I tried also calling them. Their phone service is terrible. You are guided through multiple level of selections such as "for english press 1", "if you bought your ticket online press 1". At the deepest level you always reach a stage where they say they explain that you should find you answer somewhere else and that the call will now end. Horrible service, especially since these are all international calls. At just one of these deepest levels I was able to finally get a person to whom I was able to speak. They explained to me that the ticket cannot be refunded and that I can even be happy that they don't charge me additional money for not showing up. The last straw for my dissatisfaction with the airline was the checking in to return back home. I tried to check in online one day before and all seats were already marked as non-available. I assumed I simply need to choose the seat when I check in at the counter. I was one of the first people at the counter 4 hours before the flight. The person who checked me in was a trainee without any experience. She said that there are no seats available anymore next to the window on the two connected flights that I had with the airline. This is simply unbelievable and it's simply a way for them to charge additional money for people being able to choose seats.
RouteBangkok to Belgrade via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"will fly with Qatar Airways next time"

Verified Review | We flew from Singapore to Manchester via Abu Dhabi, the Singapore to Abu Dhabi leg was great. The next leg to Manchester was very different with a much older plane, rather poor entertainment and food was no where near as good as from Singapore. Then, when flying back from Manchester it all went rather wrong. We had to queue up for well over an hour and a half, when we eventually arrived at the at the check in desk the guy wanted an 150GPB to check in the bike I had brought from Singapore to Manchester without any extra cost. He stated we were only allowed one bag each, there seemed to be time so I wanted to repack my bag slightly and only check my bike bag, he would not allow me to do this an insisted we paid the 150GPB or we would miss our flight. On the next counter to us a couple were having similar issues. We tried our best though there was no other airline staff around and the check in staff are not employed by Etihad so there was nothing they could do really. We paid up and then got to the boarding to find out the flight was delayed an hour, then it was delayed even longer which meant we would miss our connecting flight. It wasn't all bad as we were put up in an excellent hotel with great food and the plus for me was that I was able to now watch the McGregor vs Mayweather fight. The other upside is that we chatted with the other couple who had isses in the next isle to us and they informed us about the regulations. If a passenger flying out of the UK is more than 6 hours delayed they are entitled to 600euro / person. After lots of emails and proof of our flights we eventually got our 600/each from Etihad. I'll pay the extra and fly with Qatar Airways next time for sure. I will add my scores would be much better as the Singapore side is excellent, the Manchester side really let's the whole airline down.
RouteManchester to Singapore via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"their suggestion was to take a train"

Verified Review | My wife and I bought a flight from Perth to Berlin via Abu Dhabi, our problems started when day before I wanted to check in - my flight wasn't here! They canceled my flight form Abu Dhabi to Berlin, instead of this I had Abu Dhabi to Munich connection. I called them, their suggestion was to take a train - are you kidding me?! They didn't have any solution for it so I bought additional flight. It was very expensive flight and I paid for it from my pocket because of Etihad. They've changed my return flight again and again they didn't tell me about this! Plane was dirty inside, my chair was wet and solution from the crew was to put 2 blankets on it to not feel it. I've sent a complain about this, for most of the time they are ignoring me, they didn't even acknowledge that they did something wrong. Make your life easier and avoid them.
RoutePerth to Berlin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"indifferent staff and dreadful food"

Verified Review | I flew from Melbourne to Berlin with Etihad Airways, as I am gluten intolerant, I had ordered a special meal - on one leg of the flight, this was given to another passenger. Because Etihad code share with Air Berlin, with Air Berlin going into liquidation, our return bookings were cancelled and changed around 4 times. I was supposed to be flying out of Berlin, but they thought it would be easy to just fly out of Dusseldorf or Munich - both 5 hour train trips or maybe to get across to Serbia and fly from there. The final solution offered was to fly from Berlin with Alitalia to Rome, hang around in the airport for 8 hours and then join up to Abu Dhabi and fly back to Melbourne - this equated to a very long journey. On checking in with Alitalia, they decided that my 15kgs of extra luggage would be charged at Euro 344 for the journey. Note that I had tried to put in the excess baggage through the Etihad website, but it does not allow you to do this - so you are zapped at the airport with a large charge that you are then not in a position to find options for. The travel documentation indicates that the cost for an extra bag is US$ 185.00, however this is not the case. I shipped a 30kg suitcase door to door from Germany for Euro 280 so you can see how bad this charge is. On the flight, once again no special meal so the crew had to find bits of fruit for me to eat - they blame this on Flight Centre and Flight Centre say the meal request was definitely in the system - who is lying? Both totally incompetent. A totally dreadful experience and will never fly with them or recommend them again. Beware, the flights look cheap but you get what you pay for, squashed seats, bad service, indifferent staff and dreadful food. Add to that dirty bathrooms, in one, no toilet roll and do yourself a favour and fly another airline.
RouteRome to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi