Etihad Airways

"ended up being brilliant"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Moscow to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi. I really don't understand all the negative reviews here. I have read them all and was preparing for a horrible experience, but Etihad ended up being brilliant, and I can't wait to fly with them again. Moscow - Abu Dhabi flight. I have selected seats online before they discontinued the free seat selection, and surprisingly all my selected seats stayed intact. Check in was quick and orderly, boarding commenced on-time. Our 3-year old Airbus 321 was very comfortable, with wide seats and decent legroom in economy, as well as an updated and fast IFE system. Cabin crew were very pleasant, smiling, well-groomed and efficient. The meal service was without menus, but you could look up the meals for your flight online on Etihad website - it matched 100%. The metal cutlery made the whole experience classy. Meal service included complimentary wines, beers (Stella Artois and Budweiser), gin, whiskey, rum and vodka, plus non-alcoholic beverages. Cabin crew were generous with the drinks, mixing cocktails and giving out extra beer and other drinks to whoever asked them. I had the hindu meal, and it was very filling and healthy. IFE had few movies in Russian, but I guess that is to be expected, but the movie library in English was great and appealed to my taste. When I asked for a beer in the middle of the flight, the cabin crew member gave me two cans, saying "why have one when you can have two". Transit in Abu Dhabi was very quick and painless, but I wish we had jet-bridges instead of buses to the terminal. Abu Dhabi - Bangkok boarded via jet bridge, on-time once again. The flight was quite full, but I managed to score an empty seat next to me. Boeing 777-300 is a bit less comfortable than Airbus 321 due to seat width, but the seat pitch is still very much okay, and the experience is still good. The cabin crew passed with towelettes and water before takeoff, which was a very nice touch. IFE was a bit less responsive, but the content was the same. Meal service was amazing, I have never had such delicious dishes on the plane in economy. My hindu meal was simply mouthwateringly delicious, and I wouldn't mind getting this food in a cafe on the ground. My mother had Fish Sayadiah, which was just exceptional as well. Drinks were, once again, poured liberally and generously, with crew making a first full round of drinks with a small savoury snack before the meal, the second one with the meal and once more after the meal. Bangkok - Abu Dhabi. Check in was lightning fast, and the ground staff at check in and at the gate were lovely, smiling, cracking jokes and being efficient and the same time. Boarding was on time, very orderly via boarding groups, and done via jet bridge. The plane was a Boeing 777-300 again, and the onboard experience mirrored the one on the previous flight - a lot of drinks, friendly, smiling and polished crew, delicious meals, adequate seating, great IFE. Abu Dhabi - Moscow. This flight was on an older Airbus 320, with sluggish IFE system, but it still was perfectly ok. What was not ok, however, was the fact that armrests on this airplane didn't go fully up - only like 45 degrees. Due to the armrest situation I struggled to get comfortable and lie down. Cabin crew were amazingly friendly, polite and eager to assist for a flight that departed at 3am. The flight was quiet and uneventful. Overall, Etihad exceeded my expectations, and I will gladly fly them again!
AircraftA321 / A320 / Boeing 773
RouteMoscow to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not courteous and with attitude"

Trip Verified | Amman to Abu Dhabi. Outdated plane, filthy seats and bathroom. They changed plane type and that messed up seating arrangements. We boarded plane very early and still the flight was delayed. Staff not courteous and with attitude. Food quality is very low as we are offered a bag with two tasteless semi-sandwiches. Overpriced and below quality, which has been on the decline since September 2017.
RouteAmman to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"flight was quite unconventional"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to New York. Aside from being long, this flight was quite unconventional. I was sitting in seat number 48 K (the first economy cabin where the stairs are). The flight attendant treated the passengers as if they were an inconvenience. She even went out of her way and roughly “knocked” the toilet door at me and asked me to “hurry up, please” because an old lady was waiting her turn and was apparently in her way. Etihad needs to get crash courses from ANA, Japan Airlines or Qatar Airways on how to treat passengers. Also, who serves spicy chickpeas and lentils on a 14 hour flight!
RouteAbu Dhabi to New York

"Terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Washington to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi. Terrible experience for my elderly mother in law flying on Etihad Airways. She was on wheel chair assistance. Started with more than 3 hours of standing wait time to check in. At transit in Abu Dhabi she was denied boarding, and was provided one meal in a span of 12 hours. She had to stay in the lobby for more than 12 hours. Airlines did not contact the phone numbers associated with the booking to let them know of the situation. Airline offered $200 voucher to travel with them in a span of one year, which is not in line with the US DOT guidelines or EU Regulations or DGCA India guidelines. They are outside of any regulative authority at Abu Dhabi and can get away with a terrible service & poor compensation.
RouteWashington to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"Sad and very disappointing"

Not Verified | Abu Dhabi to Chicago. I don’t know where to begin - food bland, lukewarm, horribly presented. To clear the trays : 20 min wait time , because no crew visible. Halfway into the flight toilets filthy, paper towels ran out. No yoghurt available, even though advertised. Drink service very slow. Seat uncomfortable and filthy. Touch screen filthy. Entertainment offer not good. Amenity kit a joke. Not a premium product at all, even though premium price charged. Delta, Klm, AF, even UA has the better product for a lot less money. Sad and very disappointing. I had better service on some so called budget carriers in Economy Class. Even for extra water one has to beg. WiFi ultra slow and super expensive - total rip-off
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteAbu Dhabi to Chicago

"uncomfortable journey"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Abu Dhabi. Over 12 hours of uncomfortable journey. Worst Leg space and seat width. Food was terrible, they served mushrooms in vegeterian meal ( Although its debatable, but i dont prefer earing mushrooms). Vegetarian meal was tasteless. Mediocre crew and in flight services. The inflight entertainment was not good either with very less range of selections and most of the equipment was outdated and the touch screen did not respond at all. Even the remote interaction was sluggish therby leading The entire flight experience from bad to worse. I had a connection from American airlines to Chicago and American Airlines voluntarily offered to check in our carryin luggage for free. However upon reaching the Etihad gate, the crew asked us whether we paid money for checking in 6 bags and was questioning us. The better way would be to ask customer if American Airlines checked in your carryon luggage at gate (yes/ no). The ground staff-crew seemed very unprofessional and rude.
RouteChicago to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"miss my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | London to Phuket via Abu Dhabi. I was looking forward to my first experience with Etihad. I checked the check in time and was second in the queue. Checking in did not start until 30mins after the advertised time as the staff that were there, were engaged in admin, putting on roles of paper and checking the computers. When I went forward the printer did not work, the representative had problems with the computer and after a further half hour I asked to be referred to either another agent or a supervisor. She came along and said to her colleague and what’s the matter now, I think this was not the first time a problem like this had occurred. The whole episode did not give me confidence that my luggage would reach its final destination. No security questions were asked or covered which was perhaps the most serious omission. When I did get onto the aircraft it was delayed a further hour which would mean I would miss my connecting flight. No explanation or apology was given or any arrangements for connecting flight. No organisation is perfect and things do go wrong with the best of carriers, but they are remembered for what they do to put things right and this did not happen before, during or after the flight to date. This is submitted as a constructive review in the hope that training can be given within customer service to both meet and exceed customers expectations.
RouteLondon to Phuket via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"They have cut it to the bone"

Not Verified | Paid over $12.000 for a return to trip from Australia to UK. From arriving at the desk in Manchester for our return journey to Brisbane we were treated badly. We knew our allowance of 40kilo but didn’t go on the website to view the conditions, you are only allowed 32 kilo in each case and ours weighed in at 33 kilo. We were told either to go and buy a suitcase or unpack the case, where were we supposed to buy a suitcase at 4.30 in the morning. We had to empty our cases at the checking in desk and then had to go to the back of the queue and wait another 45 mins. About 20 business class seats in the cabin and when it came to order food the response was sorry we have run out of that. Ok it says on the menu,”if available “ good get out clause for them. Second leg same thing happened again and my wife had to order a sandwich with a piece of cake, 8 hours later the food still hadn’t arrived. After a wait for food my wife decided to lay down and go to sleep.hence the not telling them till she woke up. Then they were told “ you never brought any food” response “sorry we forgot”. All apologies but didn’t make up for the fact that the service as abysmal. They took my name, tel number and email address and said they would be in touch, they got in touch and the reply was “sorry we’ll try to do better next time”. They have cut it to the bone. You use to get a limousine service to and from the airports - not now. You use to get a toilet bag with bottles of perfume and deodorant, not now. I am afraid if you want to throw away your hard earned cash, travel Etihad.
RouteManchester to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi

"an awful experience"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Delhi via Abu Dhabi. Well it was an awful experience. As per the experience flying on Etihad Airways I am not going to fly ever again in this airline. Ground staff was not good, they were not helpful at all. My baggage was lost and then the ground staff call me to intimate that they find out my baggage & when ever it will arrive they are going to delivered to my mention address which they have not done it. So many problems I faced in this trip.
RouteDublin to Delhi via Abu Dhabi

"huge electronic issues"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Abu Dhabi. Business Studios from Etihad are known for having huge electronic issues and are often in malfunction. Experienced already three times and confirmed by crew members. They tell you to contact the airline for a refund and guess what happens. Last flight they had trouble with 6 in my flight.
RouteSydney to Abu Dhabi