Top 100 Airlines

Ethiopian Airlines

"if you don't care about service"

(Bolivia)

Verified Review | Luanda to Hong Kong via Addis Ababa. The aircraft leaving luanda was a very nice Boeing 777, it was good for the money spent. Arriving at Addis Ababa its was a long wait till my flight for Hong Kong, the transit area was really bad no place to rest and food court was really terrible. Next flight on a Boeing 767, the seats were really cramped and the entertainment system was awful, food service was so bad. They lost my luggage and apparently I was not the only one. I got my luggage only 1 week later, had to buy clothes in Hong Kong to cover up their mess. If you want a cheap flight and don't care about service you can pick Ethiopian Airlines.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 767-300
RouteLAD to HKG via ADD
Date FlownDecember 2015

"flight was delayed over four hours"

In short, my flight was delayed over four hours due to mechanical problems, including with the plane's landing gear. The service from all members of staff we encountered was dismal. My flight was scheduled to depart Addis Ababa at 12.50am and arrive in Vienna at 5.50am. At Addis Ababa, we were directed to one entrance for security screening, whereupon staff closed the doors in our faces and directed us to a second entrance, the second entrance directed us back to the first entrance, we were then directed to a third entrance, where we waited a while, until being redirected to a fourth entrance. After boarding, we sat in the plane for forty five minutes before being told that the landing gear was broken. After another half an hour we were told that the air conditioning was also broken. The heat was sweltering. After a full hour and forty five minutes of this heat, the air stewardesses thought to bring us water. A stewardess handed the last cup to the passenger beside me, looked at me, then returned to the back of the plane. I pressed the call button three times over fifteen minutes. There were several other passengers also using their call buttons. Because I was sitting at the very back of the plane, I could hear the stewardesses chatting and laughing behind me. Finally I got out of my seat, walked past the stewardesses sitting around doing nothing, and poured myself a cup of water. In the end, the flight departed over four hours late, meaning that I missed connecting flights from Vienna to London and London to Montreal. In total I was in transit for 50 hours, rather than 38. I spoke to the airline's representative company, Celebi, in Vienna airport. Celebi provided me with accommodation and meals, but told me to call Ethiopian Airlines on the subject of further compensation. I called Ethiopian Airlines, and was told to talk to Austrian Airlines. I spoke to Austrian Airlines, who informed me that because the flight was operated by Ethiopian Airlines, I must speak to Ethiopian Airlines. I called Ethiopian Airlines again and it was confirmed to me that this was correct, but that I must contact Ethiopian Airlines via email. I did so and have been waiting almost a month for a reply.
RouteADD to VIE

"experience is horrible"

Cotonou to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. The Ethiopian Airlines experience is horrible from one end to the other. ✅ Verified Review | Chaotic boarding in Cotonou, plane 45 minutes late with no apologies from the crew. No earphones distributed at any point for the entertainment system and not even an inflight magazine. Do not let Ethiopian’s ads on their new fleet fool you - planes (737s with Sky Interior in this case) are not properly looked after. On the Cotonou-Addis flight, there was fruit jam on the tablet and chewing-gum in the seat pocket. The seat covers were worn and falling apart. The overhead screens were not working and kept coming up and down. Very slow service with disgusting food and it took the crew about an hour and a half to clear the trays. Addis Ababa airport is a horrific place. Overcrowded, dirty, smelly (especially since the smoking areas do not close hence people smoke outside). The shops are a disgrace, with no fixed prices and people haggling over the price of items. Most items are just lying on the floor or on broken shelves, still in their delivery packages. Credit card payments did not work in two duty free shops out of three. The Ethiopian/Star Alliance Gold lounge is dark, dirty and has a very limited food choice. When I entered nobody was at the reception to scan my boarding pass. It is usually impossible to find a seat available in the evening. Better to stay outside and sit on the floor. The toilets, both in the lounge and outside, are dirty and smelly. Ethiopian Airlines ground staff are impolite, permanently yells at passengers to rush them to the gates and does not answer questions when asked something. Be careful as flights are not announced or the general chaos can lead one to miss the boarding announcements and therefore, the flight. Addis-Nairobi was similarly terrible, with tired seats (despite the young age of the aircraft, another 737 with Sky Interior). It was once again 45 minutes late with no apologies whatsoever. No earphones or inflight magazine, once again. No pre-take off checks, most people had their seatback down and/or were using laptops and electronic devices. Food very bad, with crew throwing the tray on the tablets saying “chicken” and again, the overhead screens were dysfunctional. I should also mention that at no point in Cotonou or Addis were there separate queues for Business/Gold members and Economy passengers during boarding, with disorganised queues, staff yelling in every direction and in general, a sense of squalor. It is a real pity to be sometimes forced to use Ethiopian Airlines because of the lack of competition in African skies. Avoid at all costs and prefer Kenya Airways whenever possible.
RouteCOO to NBO via ADD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"I didn't expect such poor service"

Verified Review | Harare to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa. Appalling to say the least. Ethiopian may have new aircraft but don't let this fool you. On the HRE-ADD sector I had to tell the cabin crew to issue an infant seat belt to someone travelling with an infant seated adjacent to me, this being after two cabin crew walked through to secure the cabin. The senior crew member left the trolley unattended in the middle of the cabin during the flight to help a colleague for a good 5 minutes. The crew had zero personality, and even asked 'what does she want' to a pax sat next to the pax the crew member was referring to. They did not offer a choice of meal and instead just said 'chicken' and dumped the tray on my table. I requested fish, she returned with a meal that had fish written on the lid but was actually vegetarian inside. There was no apology, just no personality with any of the crew on all four sectors. Credit where due, one meal was edible, the rest were cold and under cooked on all sectors. Out of all four sectors, I was only able to check in and choose my seat on one. Addis Ababa airport is dismal. They are seemingly meant to be upgrading the airport. I tried to buy a sandwich with my card but couldn't because the system was down. Security is horrendous. I am all for safe flying given the current times but you will need to allow at least an hour to pass through security as they then do a passport check - and don't take any duty free liquids as these are confiscated. I was reluctant to travel with Ethiopian Airlines more on a safety level but had minimal choice as Emirates was full. I didn't expect such poor service as well.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A350
RouteHRE to LHR via ADD
Date FlownAugust 2016

"Ethiopian was a huge disappointment"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Flying with Ethiopian was a huge disappointment. The aircraft from Addis to Stockholm was a new Boeing 787, but the entertainment system was down during the entire flight. Our departure from Addis was delayed by one hour as the ground crew tried to fix the system, but without success. The cabin crew were arrogant and inattentive. They simply did not respond to calls. At one time I could see 18 unanswered calls in business class only. I had to physically stop the cabin attendants to get their attention. They apologized to me but left all the other calls unattended. The food was tasteless and boring. For breakfast we got a terrible lukewarm Pizza. We had ordered kids meals for our children, but the cabin attendants did not know this so we had to tell them to bring the right meals. Eventually we just found out that the kids meals hardly differ from the adult meals. A major drawback of Ethiopian is that many connections mean changing flights in Addis Ababa. The airport is dirty (especially the toilets) and totally overcrowded. Passengers are only allowed to enter the waiting areas 90 minutes prior to the flights. Until then they have to wait in the general terminal and sit on the floor just to see all the empty chairs in the closed waiting area. Also the restaurant are owercrowded, overpriced and have unpolite staff. I will avoid Ethiopian in the future.
RouteJNB to ARN via ADD
Date FlownAugust 2016

"airline exceeded our expectations"

My family flew with Ethiopian Airlines in July from Dublin to Los Angeles and return the trip was excellent. The airline exceeded our expectations - the legroom on the plane was the best I've ever seen in economy on transatlantic flights. The food was of good quality too. The airline staff were very attentive and nothing seemed to be a problem. I would recommend and would have no problem flying with them again.
RouteDUB to LAX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"knows how to look after their customers"

Verified Review | I flew with Ethiopian Airlines (Los Angeles to Dublin return) in October 2015 and June 2016 and all 4 flights were excellent. I must say that every single member of staff I encountered from reservations, check-in, boarding, inflight and disembarking were very welcoming, helpful and friendly and all seemed to be 'happy' in their jobs which I find rare in the airline industry in this day and age. The plane was very spacious and legroom is the best I have experienced on transatlantic flights. I found the food very good with a great choice of meals offered and being able to have a 'free' wine (or two) with dinner a nice touch. In October 2015 Ethiopian Airlines was the only airline offering direct flights from Los Angeles to Dublin and although Aer Lingus started operating a direct flight in May 2016, I found that ticket prices for Ethiopian Airlines were almost half the price of Aer Lingus flights for the dates I was looking for. Also on the return flight from Dublin to Los Angeles in October 2015 that although we were told on check-in that there was going to be up to an eight hour delay in departing, all customers were looked after very quickly and very efficiently by friendly staff and within half an hour, we were being taken to a nearby 4* Hotel, treated to full breakfast and lunch in the hotel before being picked up and brought back late afternoon for departure - that to me is proof that Ethiopian Airlines knows how to look after their customers. I am happy to fly 'home' to Ireland with Ethiopian Airlines anytime.
RouteLAX to DUB
Date FlownJune 2016

"seats are very uncomfortable"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Group of 7 - 4 adults and 3 kids travelled from India Mumbai on the 13 July 2016 to Durban SA via Addis Ababa. We left India late, arrived late for the connecting flight - transported out of the incoming plane into a bus that took us directly onto our connecting plane, we never went into the terminal building. No inflight entertainment for 5.5 hours (except for music via broken head sets). On board we found that our seats had been given to other passengers by the inflight staff - everyone had to be put into their correct seats - some of us were not seated when the plane started moving. The toilets were dirty (not by current passengers) had not been cleaned from the previous flight. Food was poor - beef being offered to passengers who dont eat beef. While serving drinks ice was dropped on my wife. The seats are very uncomfortable, torn and dirty the head rests had grease/oil on it (the cover) like it was had not been changed from the previous flight. We arrived in Durban but our baggage still has not.
RouteBOM to DUR via ADD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"gracious, kind and attentive"

Verified Review | I flew a round trip from Dublin to Los Angeles with Ethiopian Airlines and would rate them top notch. The price was extremely competitive, the service on-board very efficient, flight attendants were outstanding - very gracious, kind and attentive. The food was quite nice, the aircraft was clean and so were the toilets. The seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room. The in-flight entertainment was great with lots of choice. All in all, I would say that this was one of the best flights I've been on in a long time. The fact that it is direct makes a big difference too.
RouteLAX to DUB
Date FlownJuly 2016

"toilets and galleys dirty"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Bangkok via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines. Competitively priced. Addis gates holding area dirty and uncomfortable. All 4 flights were late to take-off (1-2 hours). 3 of the 4 flights the airconditioning on the plane was inadequate and could not be improved despite asking staff. Not sure if this means it is broken. Only the final leg from Addis to Cape Town was a pleasure and a comfortable temperature. The other legs had to be endured. Toilets and galleys dirty. Seats tired. Cracked tray table, broken seat pocket. Stark contrast to Bangkok Airways who were determined not to be late so were waiting for us when we arrived late from Addis and escorted us through security and passport control to the clean comfortable plane to ensure we did not miss it or delay the flight. I do not intend to fly with Ethiopian again.
RouteCPT to BKK via ADD