Ethiopian Airlines

"inefficient under staffed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I did a return trip with these guys from Johannesburg to Ouagadougou via Addis Ababa. Not one part of the transit went well, besides the checkin at JHB. This is by far the worst airline and airport experience ever. They are completely inefficient under staffed.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg
Date FlownJuly 2018

"comfortable and pleasurable"

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | Lagos to Newark via Lome. It was an absolute pleasure flying Ethiopian to the US. For an 11 hour flight it was very comfortable and pleasurable. From Check in to boarding the process was really smooth. The transit was equally very smooth. In-flight entertainment was also great and plenty of leg room even in economy. I'll recommend Ethiopian for any one flying to the US from Africa.
RouteLagos to Newark via Lome
Date FlownJuly 2018

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Nairobi via Addis Adaba. I was hesitant to book with Ethiopian airlines, however the schedule suited us. We flew from Johannesburg to Nairobi with a stop over in Addis Adaba. Firstly our plane was delayed by a couple of hours in Addis Adaba which is no big deal however we were ushered into a gate that was a construction zone through security where we had to wait. There was no air conditioning and the drinking water tanks were all empty. When we finally got on the plane I had to ask 5 times for some water for my children. I had pre selected our seats and was told that due to traveling with children we could not sit in the selected seats as it was an exit row. So they reallocated our seats and we were not sitting with our 5 and 7 year old children. I argued that I was not willing to allow my young children to sit next to strangers. I was told that I had to swap myself with other passengers when I boarded the plane. Luckily the other passengers allowed us to sit together. No thanks to Ethiopian Airlines. I also noticed after boarding that our original allocated seats were NOT in an exit row. When we arrived at Nairobi 2 of our bags were missing. After spending over an hour filling out paperwork at the airport we finally got to leave without the 2 bags. After 3 days of having no clothes mosquito spray and toiletries which we had to purchase ourselves again, our bags were located and my safari company picked the bags up for us. When we received the bags they were both badly broken. I spoke to the manager when we returned to the airport and was told there was nothing she could do and we should speak to the manager when we arrive back to Johannesburg. I spoke to somebody at the desk in Johannesburg and he gave me more paperwork and was told somebody would contact me. It has now been 3 weeks and after I have sent many emails, messages etc I still haven’t heard back from the airline.
RouteJohannesburg to Nairobi via Addis Adaba
Date FlownJune 2018

"impressed by their professionalism"

Not Verified | Recently I was traveling from New Delhi to Cape Town via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines. At Cape Town International airport, I found my big trolley bag is broken. I lodged a complain at the Baggage Claim counter. The took my details. Within 3 days they collected the broken luggage from my flat and in another 7 days they replaced it with a brand new trolley bag with same size and same color. I am really impressed by their professionalism. Thank you Ethiopian Airlines
RouteDelhi to Cape Town via Addis Ababa

"terrible check-in process"

c✅ Trip Verified | London to Blantyre via Addis Ababa. Terrible check-in process at all airports. Could only check in for one flight at a time, had to provide the credit card used while in Addis Ababa (what if we hadn’t brought it?) despite booking months in advance. Unfriendly customer service. Was not clear on booking they flights 2+3 was a stopover rather than a transfer which was nice except it led to ticketing confusion which annoyed their staff. Food was acceptable but ran out of options halfway. Great range of meal choices offered on the website. I picked a Hindi meal. These were not offered on any flights - only chicken or beef. They were always out of the vegetarian option and usually out of the beef. They did at least fill my water bottle multiple times.
RouteLondon to Blantyre via Addis Ababa

"I am very displeased"

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | I checked a bag into Ethiopian Airlines on my flight from Enugu to Heathrow London on the 16th of June 2018. I have not seen my baggage and I made an official report in Heathrow and they said they will bring the bag. 3 days later, they have not brought my bag. Never knew it is a risk to check in my bag on an Ethiopian Airlines flight. I still have my baggage claim receipt and the proof of my report. I am very displeased.
RouteEnugu to London Heathrow,London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2018

"Young, friendly cabin staff"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Young, friendly cabin staff. Food and IFE okay. Aircraft although relatively new felt worn out, especially the seat cushions. Plenty of legroom and flight only 1/3 full, including the return flight from HKG to BKK. Bargain price (100GBP for return flight) since I booked the day before, cheaper than a LLC ticket!
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2018

"one of my best economy flights"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Transited in Addis on my way to Khartoum on 8th June 2018. The airport (T2) is overcrowded, messy, and queues everywhere. Boarding tedious and waiting for ½-1 hour for the bus in overcrowded narrow room at Gate 13. We became >½ hours late departing, but as the plane was full it was almost excusable. As the pax-load was full and the aircraft was a smaller B737-800 they were seizing and checking in hand-luggage for a lot of overloaded passengers, inclusive of myself. I argued that I need to go with my hand-luggage as I was only transiting in KRT and could not retrieve it easily without a visa to Sudan. After some discussion they eventually allowed my two pieces to pass to be taken on board. On board I had one of my best economy flights for years: FAs were fit, well rested, effective, focused, and kind and expedite. Despite the flight was full and the duration were only 1½-2 hours, everything worked to perfection. Two hot meals offered, I chose a fish steak for breakfast. It was so good I had to inquire for one additional. Voila, in 6-8 seconds after I told this to the FA it was on my plate. Drinks offered were plenty including wine and beers. The brands were well selected and tasted very well for economy class. The FAs came around and asked if there were other requests they could assist with. They served us until we landed and there were no stops in service from kick-off till landing. They were so well groomed, professional, and neat. IFE were missing apart from radio/music access. The aircraft appeared new and in good condition despite being an old model. At arrival, two stairways were put up allowing for quick disembarking being taken by bus to the arrival area and then confronted with the harsh Sudanese immigration where huge patience is the strongest weapon to overcome the hurdles.
RouteAddis Ababa to Khartoum
Date FlownJune 2018

"Upgraded from economy class"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Travelled Kigali to Addis 8th June 2018 at 02 a.m. on a small B737-700. Upgraded successfully from economy class by putting my modest bid through their homepage. Check-in was very lengthy as they could not issue the second boarding pass when I was upgraded on the first sector. I could not accept it and stood at the counter almost ½ hour before the second BP came out. Worth waiting for compared to waiting at a transfer counter in ADD to get it. It eventually went through and I then enjoyed the lounge access in KGL and good service on board in the four rows of business class (cabin ½ full). I was disappointed they only served breakfast as I needed dinner. But I spotted from the menu card the dinner served on the incoming flight. I then managed to secure my favourite dinner from that menu, despite it was not on offer and a few hours old, but reheated. Pre-departure champagne brut (“Lallier”) was fine. FAs attentive. Seats extremely well bolstered. Good product.
RouteKigali to Addis

"a good business class"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Abidjan to Bangkok via Addis Ababa. I now frequently use Ethiopian on trips from Bangkok to Africa as they provide a good business class at reasonable prices and extremely good connections, with relatively short transfer times in Addis. Food is generally quite good on Ethiopian, local wines excellent and service attentive. On my last flight (ET618), instead of the now usual Dreamliner, Ethiopian used an older B767, with a very limited entertainment system, as they only showed African, Asian, Hindi and 4 European movies and no blockbusters or US movies; also, immigration forms were not available, but otherwise, a very pleasant flight.
RouteAbidjan to Bangkok via Addis Ababa