Ethiopian Airlines

Review by (Italy)

I flew ET on 27 Aug 2015 from BKK to ADD in Business Class. Knowing the massive investment of Ethiopian in brand new B787 planes I expected also a good quality in the rest of the ET's fleet - I was completely wrong. The Business Class on B767-300 is at least 20 years old. Seats are with old mechanical controls and not working properly. In-flight entertainment is very poor and the screen's quality is very bad. The two hostesses tried to do their best but the state of the cabin was so poor that it was impossible to enjoy this 8 hrs flight. First and last time I fly Ethiopian.
RouteBKK to ADD
Date FlownAugust 2015

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

My family were traveling on Ethiopian Airlines for the first time. Unfortunately our experience was not very pleasant. We were traveling on July 27th 2015 from DUB-LAX. We arrived to find that our flight had been delayed, we had not been notified neither text, or email (which is standard by most airlines) nor did the ground staff have any idea of the length of delay. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 7.15am. Our flight crew showed up after 8.00am. Still my two excited children were excited about the trip ahead of them. We boarded the plane and found our seats. Then we waited and waited. We waited 30 minutes for the missing passengers to board. Unfortunately for 8 hours out of the 11 hour flight we had two children screaming and fighting with each other and kicking seats of other passengers. (Its not the airlines fault). We had one receptive flight attendant the whole time. She was delightful and did her best at trying to locate our pre-ordered meals. The other flight attendants seemed exhausted, by the end of the trip they just hit the back of a passengers chair if it was in full recline and would say "move it up" it just became comical. The inflight entertainment was scarce, the flight tracker was never reset as it stated we were departing from Addis Ababa not Dublin. By the time we landed in LAX there was no "thank you for flying with us" just "bye" as all the passengerd exited. One of my children had left a bag with toys under the seat in front of her. We did not discover this until we haf arrived at our accomdation. Simple fix right? Call the airline and airport. Wrong, 3 days of being put on hold, being transfered then being hung up on time after time. We finally got a number of a gate agent who said they would call us back (they never did) again we tried and someone told us to come to "CBS" one 1.5 hours later we got the bag back. Then only then someone asked us to fill out a missing bag report after we had tge bag in hand. Horrible experience.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteDUB to LAX

Review by (Thailand)

Ethiopian boasts about having the youngest fleet in Africa, this may be the true, but they use their very old planes to fly to Thailand. I have flown for the second time in one in business class, Bangkok-Addis Ababa return, and am totally disgusted. The plane is not only old (ashtray in lavatory !), but the seating is bad, narrow and not always working. There is no VOD. Overhead compartments are small. Food average, nothing to be proud of, with one of the dishes on the menu almost always missing. In contrast, the flight on a Boeing 777-300 from Addis Ababa was nice (good seat, good entertainment, same so-so food), but crew was nice in all cases.
AircraftBoeing 767 / Boeing 777
RouteBangkok to Lagos via ADD
Date FlownAugust 2015

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

This is my first time on Ethiopian airlines and was impressed. The Route from LAX to Dublin is new and just started in June 2015. I was hesitant when booking but the fares were extremely good. The flight attendants were wonderful and I was impressed by their professionalism and concern for the passengers needs and comfort. The food and drink was very good. The plane being a new 787 Dreamliner was immaculate and this is the fastest flight I have had to Dublin. The direct route from LAX to DUB definitely filled a void since Aer Lingus pulled out several years ago. I would recommend this airline. The prices are reasonable and the service is fantastic. The hours of this flight are a little odd leaving LAX around midnight. The Dublin flight leaves for LAX at 6.15 am. If you can deal with those hours then this airline is the way to travel. No more flying 5 plus hours to the east coast laying over for hours and then having another 7 hour journey ahead. Our flight time was a little over 9 hours to Ireland.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
RouteLAX to DUB

Review by (South Africa)

I boarded a flight from Jeddah to Addis Ababa connecting to Johannesburg. Due to the late arrival of the flight from Jeddah passengers connecting to Johannesburg where treated like cattle and rushed onto the connecting flight. My issued boarding pass with my pre-booked seats was changed. Our special meals was not provided or loaded on the craft. I am told that its a normal thing on Ethiopian airlines for luggage not to arrive. On arrival no luggage arrived in Johannesburg. I don't recommend this airline.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteJeddah to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

I flew my family of 8 in economy on Ethiopian Air July 2 2015, IAD-ADD-JRO and back on July 12th. 777-300 on the ADD legs and 787's on the JRO legs. I have nothing but compliments on the aircraft, cabin staff and the overall experience! Much better service on all four flights than on most domestic carriers and they were pleasant. The cabin did get a little messy on the way back but what do you expect on a 17 hour flight? I would have no hesitation taking EA again or recommending to someone.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 and Boeing 787
RouteIAD to JRO via ADD

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

LHR to ADD, June 8, return 30th. Excellent flight both ways. Superb planes. Helpful cabin staff. Smooth boarding at new LHR Term 2 compared to old T3. Flight time now only 7 hours. By far the best way to get to Addis. Addis airport efficient both ways. Do not like arriving at new LHR T2, massive long walks, baggage slow, not enough lifts from arrivals to public transportation. Aspects of the design of this new terminal at Heathrow are very poor.
RouteAddis Ababa to London
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (New Zealand)

At Nairobi airport, I was offered use of a small Kenya Airways lounge. Quite pleasant and adequate for a short wait. Boarding on time. Seats in the 737 were spacious and fairly comfortable. As there were only 5 business class passengers, I had an empty seat beside me. Food and service were good. Overall a pleasant flight. Addis Ababa airport was chaotic. A lot of people sitting around in corridors with mountains of hand luggage. The Ethiopian lounge was busy but I was able to get a seat. The seats looked good but were distinctly uncomfortable. No facilities for lying down or sleeping. Food and beverages were OK but not great. No showers and toilets not great. Wifi was available but very patchy in coverage and speed - staff were obviously aware of this as they warned me when I asked for the password. I was looking forward to the flight ADD-LHR as it was on one of Ethiopian's fairly new 787s. Boarding was fine. Business class layout was 2-2-2 but as there were few passengers, I could have an empty seats beside me. The seats were very disappointing and appeared to be an old design. They reclined to a relatively flat bed but it was angled and lumpy - not good for sleeping. Why Ethiopian would buy modern aircraft and fit them with inferior seats in their most profitable cabin is impossible to understand. Food was not good. I had beef which was tough and poorly seasoned. Other parts of the meal were similarly disappointing. In the business class cabin, there were 3 crew. One was dressed in a colourful uniform and was both pleasant and efficient. The other two were in drab outfits and had personalities to match. IFE worked OK but had a limited selection. The flight arrived on time. On arrival at LHR, my checked bag was not there. When I had checked it in at NBO, a large green tag reading "transfer at ADD" had been attached to it but, as I later found out, it had been left at Addis Ababa. Staff at the missing luggage counter at LHR were helpful and efficient but Ethiopian clearly were not. I arrived at LHR early on a Friday morning. It was not until nearly midnight on Saturday (and after numerous enquiries) that my bag was finally delivered to me in central London.
AircraftBoeing 737 / Boeing 787
RouteNBO to LHR via ADD
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (Kenya)

Flew to Bangkok from Nairobi and return and I certainly did not enjoy the flight back. The Boeing 767's used from Bole International to Suvarnabhumi Airport and back are very old, felt like I was on a bus. The inflight entertainment is awful, variety of shows is poor, TV screen is unclear and the seats have signs of wear and tear. My flight from BKK to Bole was delayed by 3 hours which meant I missed my connecting flight, but that was sorted out once we landed in Addis. All in all, I would not recommend for long haul flights, however short haul flights are bearable.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER & Boeing 737-800
RouteBangkok to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (India)

I flew Ethiopian Airlines as they are a part of Star Alliance. Flight from Mumbai which was scheduled at 5.30 AM took off near 7 AM. Missed my connecting flight to Accra. Was put up in Addis Ababa at a hotel with very limited menu for people who had missed connecting flights. Seems both the airline and the hotel were used to this problem, as my flight ticket for next day and hotel were already printed when I arrived at Addis Ababa. Food was just ok. Entertainment was good.
RouteMumbai to Cccra via ADD