Ethiopian Airlines

"the airport was dirty"

(Rwanda)

Trip Verified | Kigali to London via Addis Ababa. I will never fly Ethiopian airlines again. The worst service I have ever experienced, the airport was dirty, credit card machines were broken both times I was there, the bathrooms were overcrowded, and the staff were outright rude to passengers. I thought the cheaper price would be worth it, but now I know to pay slightly more and travel with another airline.
RouteKigali to London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2018

"traveling alone with a baby"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. I was traveling alone with my 3 month old. At check in in Tel Aviv I requested to be given a seat on the 11th row (first row in economy) so that I could get a baby bed. 11th row is usually the first in economy for the Ethiopian Airlines flights I took. The check in woman told me the row was on an exit so she couldn't. So I asked for a window seat & she said all were booked. I was placed on row 12 in the middle column. When we boarded, I noticed there was no one on the seats on row 11 ahead of me. The row wasn't on an exit either and the other row 11 seats on the right and left were occupied each by a family with 2 kids each. Also, there were several unoccupied window seats. I checked in 3hrs before the flight & usually those travelling with infants & toddlers have to do a physical check in, not online. I was the only person traveling alone with a baby and mine was the youngest infant. I should have at least gotten some consideration if not first priority.
RouteTel Aviv to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2018

"definitely fly Ethiopian again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Kiliminjaro via Addis Ababa Outbound flight to JRO via ADD and inbound to BKK via ADD were very smooth and on time. The cabin on the Boeing 787 is large, big windows and air humidity control, comfortable seats brightly colored in green upholstery all make for a pleasant journey. Even in economy class I received a travel kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, socks and a really useful eye-mask that actually helped me get to sleep and stay asleep. Food was served twice on the red-eye between BKK and ADD. I declined the first meal to sleep instead, but breakfast was acceptable with juices and hot coffee served. The terminal at ADD is a bit chaotic but was able to find restrooms, then a cafe with reasonably priced food and free wifi between flights. There are no lounges accessible with Priority Pass. Aside from Cloud 9 or Star Alliance lounges there are some open free areas with lounge beds that allow you to fully lie down and rest. Lunch between ADD and JRO, on an A330 this time, was tasty and went down well with red wine. Return flights were about the same in terms of food and flight comfort, and both legs were on the Dreamliner. Excellent IFE on the Dreamliner, plenty of choices of movies, documentaries and TV series. Service on all legs was good but FAs could have brought around liquid refreshments more often to keep us better hydrated. Great value for money and would definitely fly Ethiopian again on this route.
AircraftBoeing 787-8, A330
RouteBangkok to Kiliminjaro via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"nice, helpful and understanding"

Trip Verified | I was sceptical about booking Ethiopian Airlines because of the reviews I had read in the past. However, I decided to try them and see for myself. The flight was from Lagos, Nigeria to Toronto, Canada. I can testify that it was a wonderful experience. From the hostesses to the pilots, they were courteous! I travelled with my family and my toddler which was a handful. The hostesses were so nice, helpful and understanding! There was also entertainment kits for kids. They were always checking up on us to see if we needed anything. I am going to fly Ethiopian Airlines again and I recommend them to others.
RouteLagos to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"no offers for compensation"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I booked return ticket from Cape Town to Dubai via Addis Ababa. When I was supposed to return to Cape Town on 4th February, there was a whole mess with misconnection, because the Dubai to Addis (ET601) was delayed and late. The connection time was too short, and on the flight, the flight attendants promised is that they made contact with Addis Ababa airport control room and that the Addis to Cape Town flight (ET 847) would wait for us. When we got to Addis Ababa, the flight ET847 already departed. We were booked into a terrible hotel. No apologies, no offers for compensation or upgrades. The attitude was, this happened and there is nothing we can do about it.
RouteDubai to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight was punctual, service excellent"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | In course of 12 days in January I flew 4 sectors with Ethiopian Airlines, Tel-Aviv to Addis, Addis to Nairobi and the same return. In each instance the flight was punctual, service excellent, food good and baggage successfully transferred at Addis. Certainly Bole International Airport at Addis is a confusing building, not my favourite place to transfer but once you know your way around it is tolerable. I have no hesitation in recommending Ethiopian Airlines as an excellent choice for travel.
RouteNairobi to Tel-Aviv. via Addis Abbaba
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"no hesitation in recommending"

Trip Verified | London to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa. My wife and I have travelled from UK to Zanzibar, typically once a year since 2001 and have just made our 17th such round trip, and for a second time with Ethiopian Airlines through Addis Abba. The service we received on all four legs was excellent with new A350 aircraft on all but ADD - ZNZ which was a Boeing 787-8, that although it was beginning to look a little tired in places, was nevertheless a great aircraft to fly on. However the A350 is even better and noticably quieter especially when climbing after takeoff. Our four flights took off on time and arrived either on time or early. The standard service in Economy was both efficient and courteous, and could put other better known airlines covering the same destination via the Middle East that we have used, to shame. The food and beverage offer was better than one often finds on long haul economy and was served with charm by attentive cabin crews that clearly they wanted to be of service. As one might expect on the such a modern fleet of aircraft, the touch-screen in-flight entertainment worked well, was intuitive to use, and offered an excellent range of films and audio. Ingeniously, some days before departure Ethiopian Airlines invited on line bids to upgrade to "Cloud 9" business class on each leg, and we made an "offer" for the upgrade on the final ADD-LHR leg which was accepted. This gave us access to the comfortable "Cloud 9" lounge for the 5 hour layover between flights on the return which was very welcome. At some 7800ft above sea level, Addis Abba airport is in fact a very acceptable airport hub, though without the glitz and resultant high prices often found. An unusual and welcome feature are the various "quiet" areas around the terminal to while-away time between flights that have chaise-longue to stretch out full length on, as well as more conventional seats It is perhaps unusual to experience an airline's "economy" and "business" class offerings back to back on similar A350 aircraft, but we can confirm that "Cloud 9" compares very well with other long haul airlines that we have used previously. Based on our experience we would have no hesitation in recommending Ethiopian Airlines as an effective way to reach the increasingly popular holiday destination of Zanzibar from the UK and would expect to use them again for our next trip there.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 787-8
RouteLondon to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"ignored requests to compensate expenses"

Trip Verified | Booked flights from Brussels to Seychelles with Ethiopian Airlines last year. Paid in full and received tickets, but month after this airline contacted me and told that they made a mistake with the tickets and I need to pay nearly half of what I have already paid if I want to have my tickets (govt taxes), otherwise they will be cancelled. I found out that Ethiopian Airlines breached IATA rules and issued tickets on Air Seychelles ticket stock. So about two months after they were issued, my tickets were cancelled and airline ignored all my requests to compensate expenses for already made travel arrangements. Facebook negatives comments were deleted by the airline straight away. They don't even know what good customer service means.
RouteBrussels to Seychelles via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2017

"They have great attitude"

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Washington via Dublin. The flight itself was very good! I would like to thank the hostesses who flew from Ethiopia to Washington on Jan 25, 2018. They were very humble, and very respectful. They treat everyone the same. They have great attitude. They were very cooperative to my needs. They work very hard. I didn’t see them taking a break. I love flying Ethiopian!
RouteAddis Ababa to Washington via Dublin
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight was delayed again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Stockholm. The flight was delayed, we've been told it was because of a missing part. They kept us in the airport until 24:00 o'clock and later sent us to hotel, we had only 4 hours to sleep and then had to go again to the airport. The day after the flight was delayed again in few hours because they didn't organize the tickets changing. They kept us for a long time waiting in the airport and on the plane. Later on I sent Ethiopian Airlines emails and messages about the compensation I deserve, though I've been ignored.
RouteOslo to Stockholm