Ethiopian Airlines

"lost the opportunity to sleep"

Verified Review | Flew Business Class on Ethiopian KGL-ADD, and ADD-DUB-LAX. Seat malfunctioned in DUB, and despite efforts by crew and myself it would not recline even using manual override control under cushion. As cabin was sold out, I lost the opportunity to sleep on a very long flight. I contacted customer service and requested some compensation, who forwarded my details to the central office. Then nothing for 2 weeks until I had to re-inquire. Finally they came back and offered me US$50 or 2,000 Sheba miles. When I said that this seemed insufficient to cover the loss of the seat for 10+hrs, then said I had "utilized all the services of business class", but "to reclaim my confidence" offered to increase their offer to 2,500 Sheba miles. Needless to say I will not be flying Ethiopian again, and I would urge others to think twice. As an additional warning to those who may be considering them, the transfer in ADD is absolutely horrendous, requiring additional security screening with insufficient staff, so plan on 90-120 minutes in line with hundreds of people pushing/jumping lines.
RouteKigali to Los Angeles via Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the best idea in East Africa"

Verified Review | Lilongwe to Nairobi via Addis Ababa, they are currently the cheapest option to go. The flight was via Addis Abeba but still only half the price than a direct flight. Ethiopian usually uses a 737-800 for the LLW-ADD leg and stops in Blantyre, but on Saturdays and Sundays, it is replaced by a 767-300 and there are two seperate flights to Lilongwe and Blantyre. Check In in Lilongwe was messy, as the Check In Agents were the slowest in the world and the ticketing system failed due to a electronic problem. Ethiopian asks its passengers to arrive 3 hours prior to departure which is definetly a good call. As the online system does not know, that on Saturdays and Sundays the aircraft is changed, seats can not be preselected and so it was first come first sit. The flight was on time to depart and about 20 minutes early in Addis. Although the aircraft used was a pretty worn down 767, the seats turned out to be quite comfy and the legroom was enormous. Food was great (I preordered vegetarian) and the crew was very nice and welcoming. Bole International Airport in Addis Abeba is one of the worst managed airports I have ever been to, so as good as the flight was, as bad was the airport. The flight from Addis to Nairobi was on a new 737-800 and although it was packed full, boarding and takeoff were on time. Again very nice and friendly crew and good food. To put it in a nutshell: Flying with Ethiopian is usually the best idea in East Africa, their only downturn is their base at Bole Airport.
AircraftBoeing 767-300 / 737-800
RouteLilongwe to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"food was absolutely delicious"

Verified Review | Addis Ababa to London. A contrast to my flight out, this time around the food was absolutely delicious and there was lots of it! Two full meals plus two rounds of warm drinks. Cabin Crew were nice but spoke no English even for safety briefings. IFE was the same boring selection of bland American rubbish as the flight out. The plane was clean although the toilets were in a bit of a state halfway through the 7 hour flight.
RouteAddis Ababa to London

"The IFE was boring"

Verified Review | London to Addis Ababa. The food was inedible, meatballs in a gloopy tomato sauce with pasta tubes. The crew were friendly enough but just doing a job. English announcements (I encountered this on domestic flights and my return too) appeared to be someone reading and transliterating from Amharic into a language they don't speak, which was hilarious on occasion. The IFE was boring, packed full of American rubbish. Literally every single comedy on offer was American for some reason. The flight was more or less on time.
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"booked flight on another airline"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Riyadh to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. I booked a flight with Attar travels and paid cash for my ticket. On arrival at the airport in Riyadh I should in the line at the counter from 12 midnight waiting for check-in till 3.30am. No one showed up to check us in or explain anything to us. Because we continued to wait till after 3.30am (flight departure time), security asked us to move outside with our luggage. No one was explaining if there was a technical problem or flight cancellation or just a delay. No one from Ethiopian airlines was at the airport to assist with any queries. It turned out to be that this flight was delayed five times for the day. After numerous enquiries it was discovered that Ethiopian airlines was removing illegal immigrants from Saudi Arabia on flights that we had paid for. Eventually when they decided to check us in, they issued me with incorrect boarding passes and I ended up walking from one terminal to the next to try and correct this, until I missed my flight. I was told to wait for the next nights check-in at 12 and see the manager who would be able to assist me. So considering I already waited about 12 hours, I waited for the manager who refused to help anyone. There were a lot of people with similar problems. The manager told us to go to the Ethiopian office in Riyadh at 10am the next day to have new tickets reissued to us. So I was desperate and did so. On arrival I was greeted by more than 50 customers and only one officer to help us. Having already wasted two days at the airport, I decide this was enough and booked a flight on another airline and flew home to South Africa the next day. I have never experienced anything so horrifying in my entire life before. Not a soul can offer you an explaination or any reassurance, leave food or water or a place to rest and can you imagine having not slept in more than 24 hours. It was a disasterous occurrence that I wish never to experience again. To date I have contacted Ethiopian airlines customer services and compensation for this disastrous episode.
RouteRiyadh to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2017

"plane looked tired and faded"

Verified Review | Ethiopian is a very poor airline. Boarding in Nairobi was disorganized with no priority for Star Alliance Gold passengers. The plane looked tired and faded despite being a B737 with Sky Interior. The food was the absolute worst I've tasted on a plane: smelly, badly reheated and poorly plated with sauce dripping on the table. Arrival in Addis is a mess, with non-English speaking staff everywhere and poor signage. Avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteNairobi to Addis Ababa

"was quite disappointed"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Tel Aviv via Addis Ababa. I was quite disappointed with the airline as a whole. They had sent me to the wrong boarding gate that was clearly printed on my boarding pass, which only later did I realise that they changed the gate without informing any one. The aircraft was not clean, there no was soap and toilet paper in most of the bathrooms. The aircraft was kept at a very low temperature and when I asked for blankets, they said that they don't have any. The service was poor, and they often took time to answer requests.
RouteJohannesburg to Tel Aviv via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"food was shockingly poor"

(Namibia)

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Windhoek via Addis Ababa. This was my worst travel experience ever. Firstly, my baggage was left behind at Addis and it was only received two days after arrival without any apology. The quality of food on flights out and inbound was shockingly poor. In terms of drinks served, besides the juices and soft drinks, the only available drinks were one red and one white wine. No beer or any other alcoholic beverages were available. The one toned music that was played on board irritated me to the hilt. Check in at Addis Ababa the most chaotic I have experienced. The cabin crew was very friendly and helpful.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / 737-800
RouteLos Angeles to Windhoek via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"combination of best and worst."

Verified Review | Addis Ababa to Paris. Ethiopian is a combination of the best and worst. The Boeing 787 from Addis Ababa to Paris was fairly new, with good lie flat seats and a clean cabin. The IFE was working, for once. Very nice cabin staff, very helpful and professional. On the negative side, Addis Ababa airport is still one of the worst in the world, with chaos and dirt everywhere. The lounges are only slightly better than in a US domestic airport and Ethiopian ground staff yell at passengers and rush them through the gates all the time. The inflight catering is stale and poorly presented, far from business class standards, despite a recent revamp of the menus and plating. Ethiopian is an average airline that takes you from A to B, but do not expect a top notch inflight experience.
RouteAddis Ababa to Paris

"Service was very good"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Accra return via Addis Ababa. Good airline, very generous with toilet kits, food standard but nothing to write about, good Ethiopian wines and good coffee. Clean aircraft, comfortable seats, large choice of movies, nice blankets. Service was very good, very attentive but the flights were empty at 50 to 60% in business. All four flights were on time. A negative point with Ethiopian Airlines is that they are very restrictive on miles awards: I ended up getting zero miles. I accept their prices are quite low, but they could at least give mileage equivalent to economy class.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 777