Airline of the Year

Ethiopian Airlines

"choose Ethiopian, you choose Africa"

Verified Review | Dar es Salaam to Kuala Lumpur via Addis Ababa / Bangkok. I mostly fly with a bicycle (think of Pippi Longstocking). At Ethiopian Airlines you can't add special baggage online to your flight, even not attach a notice. But sports equipment is on their baggage scedule and a good fare for bicycles is given (100 USD for intercontinental flights). I went and booked from Tanzania (online), they have no call-center there, even Ethiopian is operating much from Dar es Salaam. An email to the airport office was not answered in 9 days. I called up to 8 telephone numbers before I reached somebody, who was kind, but don't understood what he should do with 'bicycle', while I wanted to go by aircraft. The clerk absolutely not knowed, how to book special baggege to a flight and what sports equipment should be. I should call the city office, where nobody answered the phone. The nearest callcenter in Addis Ababa not worked technically in Tanzania. So after 5 days with no success to get the bicycle on my flight, I visited the Ethiopian Dar es Salaam city office, where a very kind women tried to understand what I want, but after all not find any way to get the special baggage booked. After 1 day she wrote me a nice email, I should call the airport office, where another kind woman told me, she can't do anything, but I should simply bring the bicycle packed to check-in. They will take it in any case. At the check-in I was told, the packed bicycle is very welcome and will cost 250 USD. I referenced the website price of 100 USD, and the ground manager told me the bicycle are welcome, the cost is 200 USD, payable only cash. I was short in funds and so I had to organize Tanzanian Shilling from ATM. The only properly working international ATM at Julius-Nyerere-Airport was defect, so while check-in runs, I jumped with a taxi to the closest bank. The ground handling manager then took 500.000 Tanzanian Shilling, which are 223 USD (Mai 2017). The baggage (all within the limits) was proceeded and a view minutes later I got a receipt upon 200 USD received for excess baggage with many thanks. This is typical african and I found deals like that many times on my half year visit of north and east africa. The new old spirit. It is still less expensive as the excess baggage rates for bicycles at other carriers, but not the 100 $, which were wide spread for sports baggage intercontinental. On the other hand the flight was nice. I can't complain either the crew nor the aircrafts. The girls were nice and smiley and the jets clean, comfortable and fully functional, while in Africa on the ground nearly everything is dirty and disfunctional. For me, the crowd is also a part of flight quality. People, who complain the 'uneatable' meals on board never have been eating in Ethiopia. Compared with the food of simple people or what is served even in better restaurants, the onboard meals were luxury. They serve also Ethiopian beer which is very tasty. A bit disorganized Bole Airport (Addis). But in total it worked, many seats and loungers, fairly clean restrooms, shops with enough merchandise. No comparison to outside the airport. If you choose Ethiopian, you choose Africa.
AircraftBoeing 767 / B787
RouteDAR to KUL via ADD / BKK
Date FlownMay 2017

"the shock came in Addis"

(Zimbabwe)

Verified Review | Harare to Marrakech via Madrid. The flight from Harare to Addis was great. The shock came in Addis when flight ET712 to Madrid was overbooked. Upon checking in at Gate 9 (changed from Gate 1), the Ethiopian Airline officers stood three of us aside, apparently because our visa to Spain and Morocco had to be verified by a senior airline officer. Myself, a man from the Democratic Republic of Congo and a lady from Equatorial Guinea. During the check-in process, the man from the Congo protested fiercely, and was let in. As the queue died, we (me and the lady from Malabo) went to the boarding desk to get the EA senior to verify our VISA's to facilitate. The Ethiopian Airline officer handling the boarding looked aside and shouted, Boarding closed we will re-route you. The senior officer had not pitched up. No one had spoken to us. Nothing. I couldn't believe it that an airline would cook false stories to manage its own problem of overbooking. Fastforward to 02:00 Addis Time, 3 hours after the initial boarding time, we were still in their office and the lady from Malabo promised to get into another flight on Tuesday May 16th. I refused calmly and with smiles of spite. They tried to get me into ET702 to go to Morocco through Rome and i refused, returning their initial transit VISA lie that if i could not do a 60 minute transit to Morocco through Madrid, then i still could not take option of going through Rome, albeit 48 hours later. Later, another officer assisted by getting me proceed to Morocco by EgyptAir. His reason for my transfer "flight overbooked". And at this time I asked to see the Supervisor. The supervisor did not come. As this batch of officer's prepared to go home at 03h00, my AirEgypt flight to Cairo was also boarding. I left Addis without seeing the supervisor or getting the truth. I will not fly Ethiopian Airlines on my way back home.
RouteHarare to Marrakech via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2017

"surprised by the excellent service"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Rome to Cape Town via Addis Ababa. My wife and I recently travelled on Ethiopian Airlines and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent service. The hostesses were very helpful and the meals were very good. Addis Ababa airport is a bit crowded but an overall pleasant experience was had. It is truly value for money.
RouteRome to Cape Town via Addis Ababa

"planes look worn"

Verified Review | Nairobi to Lagos via Addis Ababa. For a frequent flyer like me, Ethiopian Airlines is a default choice for travelling across Africa because of its extensive network and, credit where due, on time performance. The good stops here as it is decades behind the service level that a global standard airline (or even Kenya Airways) would offer. Boarding in Nairobi, Addis and Lagos was disorganized, with no separate lines for Gold / Business Class. Despite being new, planes look worn with unresponsive touch screens, very limited movie selection and poor quality earphones. Food was utterly inedible and the service protocol is weird - Ethiopian dishes are available on flights originating from Addis but not explicitly offered to passengers by the crew. Addis Ababa is the worst airport in Africa: dirty, poorly lit and completely overcrowded. The same goes for Ethiopian Airlines lounges. Avoid Ethiopian if you have another choice in Africa.
AircraftBoeing 737/ 777
RouteNairobi to Lagos via Addis Ababa

"old, worn out aircraft"

Verified Review | Ethiopian Airlines has some very good aircraft but they deploy old, worn out aircraft into India. Seats are not clean and stained. The floor is littered and not cleaned well. The AC does not work properly. The meal portion is too small and not filling. In the 1.50 hrs Addis Ababa - Khartoum sector, they finished the meal service with a pocket size Burger and a fruit juice, that too at lunch time. Budget airlines are better. The Boeing 767 on Addis Ababa - Delhi is past its retirement age. It is clearly unfit and not airworthy. In flight service is just OK. No in flight entertainment - few common screens leave passengers with no choice but to see what is being displayed. Most ports for earphones in the seats do not work. While this airline has a large fleet of the B787, not sure why India isn't an important market for them. Miles to go.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 767
RouteMumbai to Khartoum via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2017

"not good communicating the reasons"

(Democratic Republic of the Congo)

Verified Review | Kinshasa to Bangkok via Addis Ababa. I took this flight 3 time before as it is a good value for the money. The leg from Kinshasa was unfortunately done in an old B737 aircraft instead of the Boeing 787 as usual. The reclining seats were broken and the cabin old and filthy. The real problems started in Addis Ababa, first the departure (at 00:20am) of the Bangkok flight was announced to be delayed 1hr due to technical reasons then another hour and so on. The Ethiopian ground staff was not good communicating the reasons for the delay and to update the passengers. Finally the Business class passengers were allowed back into the lounge at around 2:30am. The flight finally got on its way at 7:00am.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 787
RouteKinshasa to Bangkok via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMarch 2017

"old and tired 777"

(Kenya)

Verified Review | Avoid Ethiopian Airlines at all costs. Flight from Nairobi to Addis Ababa was cancelled without any explanation and we were put on a later flight. Old and tired 777 with non responsive screens, smelly and hot cabin and very unfriendly cabin crew putting the seat backs in the upright position without any notice or word. Disgusting and badly warmed food - Ethiopian beats all other airlines I've flown on this point, including US airlines. Addis Ababa to Lalibela flight was supposed to be direct but a stopover in Gondar was added, again without any explanation. On the return flight, we were put on a 1-stop flight with a 4-hour layover in Axum, again with no explanation at all. The airport staff was completely unhelpful, stating that they were just doing their job and that they did not have to provide any explanation. Addis Ababa to Nairobi return flight on a tired 737 with torn seats and dysfunctional AC: the cabin was very hot throughout the flight and flight attendants just shrugged when told so. They even refused to provide a mother with a bassinet. Inedible food again - who serves cold shredded chicken with uncooked, bland rice and tomato sauce? Do not fly Ethiopian if you have a choice, do not believe their ads. Much better to pay the slight price difference and fly Kenya Airways or Middle Eastern airlines/Turkish Airlines if travelling across Africa.
AircraftBoeing 777 / Boeing 737 / Q400
RouteNairobi to Lalibela via Addis Ababa

"Overall, functional service"

Verified Review | Brussels to Cape Town via Paris CDG/ and Addis Ababa. Check in at Brussels very smooth only a few passengers as main pick up at Paris CDG. According to seat map sites all economy had a/c power points though this is not true. I requested to use my cpap machine for sleep apnoea but my seat had no plug I was moved to bulkhead seat where there were 2 power points but 1 didn't work. Was told I may need to move at CDG if seat taken by young child and then turfed out when 1 elderly passenger sat in middle of 3. No help offered to find a seat but notice only first 4 rows from exit had power points. Found a spare seat but 2 of 3 plugs didn't work. IFE was ok but touch screen very poor and as logical as an old BlackBerry system. Big criticism leaving Paris CDG around 22.00 they served a full meal around 00.45 - why? Small sandwich & drink would do 1hr after take off. But worse, the cabin lights on full till 01.50 then back on at 15.20. Given Ethiopian Airlines don't give you eye masks it was impossible to sleep on this overnighter. Left Addis Ababa 1hr late as boarding seemed to be staff talking amongst themselves, the Boeing 777 leg was uneventful and comfortable thanks to 3-3-3 configuration and IFE slightly easier than 787. Overall, functional service, squandered overnight flight but worrying that not all seats have power but only half seem to work on a new aircraft
AircraftBoeing 787 / 777-200
RouteBrussels to Cape Town via CDG/ADD
Date FlownApril 2017

"never again to fly with this airline"

Unverified | Washington to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. My family and I were on vacation and decided this time to use Ethiopian Airlines. We took advantage of travelling with our son who had not yet turned 2 years old and only paid for taxes for his flight. When the flight attendants started serving meals around the cabin flight, I was advised that they could not provide a meal for my son until they had served all the other passengers on the flight who had paid for their tickets. I was really caught unaware by this statement. I then shared my food with my son but vowed never again to fly with this airline. Their customer service is not very good at all. When we got to our destination in Kenya, two of our luggages were left in our connecting Airports in Addis Ababa. This just summed up my experience with this airline.
RouteWashington to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2016

"A350 plane shouted quality"

Verified Review | Cape Town to Addis Ababa on B777-200 went without issues, everything worked, cabin decor of light green gave impression of being faded, the plus was the 3-3-3 seat layout which gave more comfort than the Qatar 3-4-3. The weak point was the food which small and dull. Transit through Addis Ababa was as bad as expected and I would not want to transfer here with my young family. The delays caused us a 1 hr delay on the ADD-LHR leg but we caught up 20min on the A350. Everything about this plane shouted quality even the IFE layout left the 787 behind though its so new the crew I don't think knew everything. During the flight I used my CPAP machine for my sleep apnoea and used the in seat power supply. The passenger next to me quizzed me about it asking if it used oxygen (which it doesn't).
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / A350