Top 100 Airlines

Ethiopian Airlines

"used my Voyager miles "

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Brussels to Seychelles via Addis Ababa. We used my Voyager miles from SAA to book our holiday in the Seychelles, and only Star Alliance partner that could get us there during the Christmas period was Ethiopian. I booked in March 2015. Ethiopian managed to cancel two of my four flights, resulting in rebooking and losing a day's holiday accommodation (having to return a day earlier) and changed the Boeing 787 to a first generation Boeing 777. I would acknowledge that my family were allowed to go with me (Star Alliance Gold) in the Sheba lounge. Food okay, smiles of staff super, but it was very overcrowded. During all the changes to our flights, I was offered accommodation for my family and tours in Addis (we would have had to spend one unplanned night in Addis). I guess luckily for Ethiopian they cancelled the Seychelles - Addis flight and left us in the Seychelles. The Boeing 777 was old, no entertainment, food was mediocre and none of the attendants actually smiled.
AircraftBoeing 777 / 787
RouteBRU to SEZ via ADD
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"luggage still on the plane"

Verified Review | We traveled Los Angeles to Dublin with Ethiopian Airlines. We arrived in Dublin and our luggage was not in the airport. The luggage was still on the plane. They would not retrieve it saying that it was too late and they were taking off, wouldn't even look. We did not get our things until April 11th - 5 days from when we flew. We had no shoes, accessories, tuxedo, gown, make up, hair care, etc. We called and called. Never did anyone respond. We purchased our tickets in advance, paying over $1100 each. I should be reimbursed for all of the items we had to purchase. We attended 6 events while on the trip, had to miss the first one as we didn't have the items we needed to look presentable. We saved for a long time to go on the trip. I shouldn't have had to spend additional money on things I already own - flat iron, clothing, shoes, make up, etc. Not once had Ethiopian Airlines returned a call or email. The Swissport Office said that it happens on every one of their flights. That is unacceptable.
RouteLAX to DUB
Date FlownApril 2016

"quality is not up there"

I flew with the carrier for the first time in March 2016, from Dublin to Los Angeles. I am a frequent flyer, and have at some stage used most of the main international carriers, and this is the first time I have ever felt the need to go to the trouble of writing a poor review for an airline. The outbound flight was rescheduled at the last minute, meaning I arrived just over an hour late to LAX. Subsequently I missed the connecting flight which was Alaska Airlines. They told us to contact Ethiopian, who should have checked us in all the way to our final destination at Dublin airport but had refused to do so. We spent an our on the phone to Ethiopian customer services, as they had no representation at all at LAX. The person dealing with us on the phone was incredibly rude. Eventually he agreed that Ethiopian would pay for and book us on another flight, we were instructed to go back to Alaska Airlines. When we discussed what we were told with them, they said the method suggested was impossible. Luckily Alaska airline were extremely helpful and gave us change of seat fare instead of full fare, on the next flight available, which was actually from Orange County airport the next day, which cost us shuttle bus and hotel. As for the flights themselves, our screens did not work in either outbound or return flight and the crew seemed to think this was normal on a 10 hour flight. I had to clean the toilet on my flight home to use it, as every toilet on the aircraft after 4 hours into the flight was dirty. I am the least fussy eater but I can say the food was not even recognisable for some meals, I suggest bringing your own snacks. Finally the most concerning point, when waiting to leave LA, there was some kind of technical trouble, so we sat on the aircraft for two hours before leaving, late again of course. The problem was, before leaving we received no safety demo. None of the crew came around to inspect the cabin configuration for take off, my friend was fast asleep with her seat reclined as we started to head down runway. Ethiopian Airlines is the first airline I have ruled out so far. The flights were more expensive than other carriers but the quality is not up there with the big carriers I'm afraid. Shame as its a convenient route for me, but the good new is Aer Lingus are starting an LAX route soon.
RouteDUB to LAX
Date FlownMarch 2016

"staff very pleasant and efficient"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines. Huge seats with masses of legroom. You can lift up the headrests and fold in side flags to stop your head falling sideways. USB charging points. Loads of audio / video channels. All flights left on time. Cabin service is slow but staff very pleasant and efficient. Online check-in didn't work but helpful staff at every airport were able to choose seats for me and even change them when a better one became available. Would prefer to fly again with them purely because of the amount of space you get.
RouteJNB to LHR via ADD
Date FlownApril 2016

"airline decline to communicate"

(Norway)

Oslo to Zanzibar via Stockholm, Rome and Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines. A 22 hour delay, okay to understand because of problem with a Boeing 787. Whats not ok is that the airline decline to communicate with us after this event. Have contacted them 10 times and the only answer I'm getting is "We will contact you shortly". Posted the story on their Facebook page and the post was deleted and I was prevented for more post on their pages. We sat 7 hours waiting in the plane without being offered water or any other things to drink. Stay away from this airline. Porblems with the plane is understandable but not being willing to communictate with your customers are totally unaccetable.
RouteARN to ZNZ via FCO/ADD
Date FlownDecember 2015

"Boeing 777s are worn"

(Kenya)

Verified Review | Dubai to Addis Ababa. In spite of their young age, Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 777s are worn. Touch screens do not work, worn seats despite the legroom available. Food disgusting - whatever route you fly, they serve chicken with tomato and rice. A shame for an airline representing a country with such incredible cuisine. Nice crew but not much they can do to improve the poor service at their level. Addis Ababa airport is to be avoided - pass through as fast as you can. Ethiopian Airlines has experienced phenomenal growth but it's a shame to see it has sacrificed quality of service.
RouteDXB to ADD
Date FlownApril 2016

"at least the flight was cheap"

Verified Review | Cheap flights for a cheap service. My Ethiopian Airlines flight from London to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa was one to remember. Sets are pretty small compared to other airlines I have used, TV screen was not working for the flights from London to Addis Ababa, and the food was absolutely poor. I am gluten intolerant and I booked a special meal when I bought the flight, but they don't know what gluten intolerance means. I found on my tray written GF (gluten free) but they gave me bread and muffins (containing gluten) saying that this was what they had. Luckily I brought with me something to eat in case. At least the flight was cheap.
RouteLHR to JNB via ADD
Date FlownMarch 2016

"impressed by the improvements"

Verified Review | I recently flew Ethiopian Airlines from Johannesburg to London via Addis Ababa. Both flights were operated with a Boeing 777-300, and the aircraft was a lot more comfortable then Emirates. Ethiopian have a 3x3x3 seat layout whereas Emirates is 3x4x3. The aircraft was spacious, seats were very comfortable and seat pitch great. The food on both flights was above what I expected on and the crew were fantastic. I found them nicer than European airlines I have flown. I will definitely fly them again, but a word of warning. Addis Ababa Bole airport really needs an overhaul and some of the ground staff could do with going on a customer service course. It was a shame that this is what seems to have let Ethiopian Airlines down in the past and still does. On the whole I am impressed by the improvements, and they are a breath of fresh air in Africa.
AircraftBoeing 777 300
RouteJNB to LHR via ADD

"I will not recommend"

Verified Review | This is my first time with Ethiopian Airlines, when I flew round trip from Los Angeles to Dublin. At LAX check-in the agent was very informative and helpful. I thought may be the crew members on board would be the same, but unfortunately I was wrong. The crew were not friendly at all, and there was no warm and welcoming feel to it. They're just there to do their job and get it out of the way. They bump into my seat while pushing the cart and into my elbow few times, I didn't hear any word from them. Not a sorry, excuse me or pardon me or anything. There is no interaction from staff, not even a smile. The food was terrible. I will not recommend this airline.
RouteLAX to DUB
Date FlownMarch 2016

"avoid if you must be there on time"

(Cameroon)

Ethiopian Airlines flight from Douala to Addis Ababa left 1 hour late, due to a burst tyre, but the flight was very pleasant in the Boeing 787-8. Problems started in Addis. The flight from Addis to Dar was delayed every 30 min due to operational reasons, from 10PM local time until midnight, when they took our boarding passes to issue us hotel vouchers. We were taken to a lounge and given some rice and curry chicken. At 2AM we still had no information, and no boarding passes. After harassing the staff, we were told that "due to the weather", we would have to spend the night in Addis and leave at 10AM. We had to wait for hotel vouchers, which were given to us at 4AM. Total waiting time from the scheduled departure time to getting hotel vouchers was 5 hours! The next day, the 10AM flight was delayed by 1 hour for operational reasons. Good side: we were taken to a nice hotel with clean rooms and bathroom (no hot water in bathrooms with a 12°C temperature outside), and were served breakfast before being taken to the airport at 8AM. Conclusion: we landed at 2PM instead of 2AM. To avoid if you must be there on time.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / 737-800