Ethiopian Airlines

"no offers for compensation"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I booked return ticket from Cape Town to Dubai via Addis Ababa. When I was supposed to return to Cape Town on 4th February, there was a whole mess with misconnection, because the Dubai to Addis (ET601) was delayed and late. The connection time was too short, and on the flight, the flight attendants promised is that they made contact with Addis Ababa airport control room and that the Addis to Cape Town flight (ET 847) would wait for us. When we got to Addis Ababa, the flight ET847 already departed. We were booked into a terrible hotel. No apologies, no offers for compensation or upgrades. The attitude was, this happened and there is nothing we can do about it.
RouteDubai to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight was punctual, service excellent"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | In course of 12 days in January I flew 4 sectors with Ethiopian Airlines, Tel-Aviv to Addis, Addis to Nairobi and the same return. In each instance the flight was punctual, service excellent, food good and baggage successfully transferred at Addis. Certainly Bole International Airport at Addis is a confusing building, not my favourite place to transfer but once you know your way around it is tolerable. I have no hesitation in recommending Ethiopian Airlines as an excellent choice for travel.
RouteNairobi to Tel-Aviv. via Addis Abbaba
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"no hesitation in recommending"

Trip Verified | London to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa. My wife and I have travelled from UK to Zanzibar, typically once a year since 2001 and have just made our 17th such round trip, and for a second time with Ethiopian Airlines through Addis Abba. The service we received on all four legs was excellent with new A350 aircraft on all but ADD - ZNZ which was a Boeing 787-8, that although it was beginning to look a little tired in places, was nevertheless a great aircraft to fly on. However the A350 is even better and noticably quieter especially when climbing after takeoff. Our four flights took off on time and arrived either on time or early. The standard service in Economy was both efficient and courteous, and could put other better known airlines covering the same destination via the Middle East that we have used, to shame. The food and beverage offer was better than one often finds on long haul economy and was served with charm by attentive cabin crews that clearly they wanted to be of service. As one might expect on the such a modern fleet of aircraft, the touch-screen in-flight entertainment worked well, was intuitive to use, and offered an excellent range of films and audio. Ingeniously, some days before departure Ethiopian Airlines invited on line bids to upgrade to "Cloud 9" business class on each leg, and we made an "offer" for the upgrade on the final ADD-LHR leg which was accepted. This gave us access to the comfortable "Cloud 9" lounge for the 5 hour layover between flights on the return which was very welcome. At some 7800ft above sea level, Addis Abba airport is in fact a very acceptable airport hub, though without the glitz and resultant high prices often found. An unusual and welcome feature are the various "quiet" areas around the terminal to while-away time between flights that have chaise-longue to stretch out full length on, as well as more conventional seats It is perhaps unusual to experience an airline's "economy" and "business" class offerings back to back on similar A350 aircraft, but we can confirm that "Cloud 9" compares very well with other long haul airlines that we have used previously. Based on our experience we would have no hesitation in recommending Ethiopian Airlines as an effective way to reach the increasingly popular holiday destination of Zanzibar from the UK and would expect to use them again for our next trip there.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 787-8
RouteLondon to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"ignored requests to compensate expenses"

Trip Verified | Booked flights from Brussels to Seychelles with Ethiopian Airlines last year. Paid in full and received tickets, but month after this airline contacted me and told that they made a mistake with the tickets and I need to pay nearly half of what I have already paid if I want to have my tickets (govt taxes), otherwise they will be cancelled. I found out that Ethiopian Airlines breached IATA rules and issued tickets on Air Seychelles ticket stock. So about two months after they were issued, my tickets were cancelled and airline ignored all my requests to compensate expenses for already made travel arrangements. Facebook negatives comments were deleted by the airline straight away. They don't even know what good customer service means.
RouteBrussels to Seychelles via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2017

"They have great attitude"

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Washington via Dublin. The flight itself was very good! I would like to thank the hostesses who flew from Ethiopia to Washington on Jan 25, 2018. They were very humble, and very respectful. They treat everyone the same. They have great attitude. They were very cooperative to my needs. They work very hard. I didn’t see them taking a break. I love flying Ethiopian!
RouteAddis Ababa to Washington via Dublin
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight was delayed again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Stockholm. The flight was delayed, we've been told it was because of a missing part. They kept us in the airport until 24:00 o'clock and later sent us to hotel, we had only 4 hours to sleep and then had to go again to the airport. The day after the flight was delayed again in few hours because they didn't organize the tickets changing. They kept us for a long time waiting in the airport and on the plane. Later on I sent Ethiopian Airlines emails and messages about the compensation I deserve, though I've been ignored.
RouteOslo to Stockholm
Date FlownDecember 2017

"should communicate with their passengers"

Trip Verified | Flew Ethiopian Airlines from Addis Ababa to Los Angeles. I went on holiday and flew with them twice and each time was frustrating. The attendants are rude and have an attitude about anything you ask them. During my first flight, I asked four different people for water and waited for over half an hour with nothing. I had to get up and go to the back, where they were all just sitting and talking. I proceeded to get my own water while they all looked at me. Then on the way back from my trip, we were told our flight was on time. Then we were told it was delayed 30 minutes due to a small issue. Then we heard nothing for two hours. My sister and I were travelling together. I bought our tickets together and specifically requested that we are seated together. I asked an attendant to change my seat since I specifically requested two seats together. She told me the flight was full and I should look in the computer myself to find a seat that was together. I went to another attendant on the place and she said there were many extra seats so she had no problem getting me two seats next to each other. Also, my flight was supposed to be a straight flight from Ethiopia to LAX but somehow we ended up in Dublin. I understand that they need to stop and refuel but they should communicate with their passengers. The Dublin authority came on the plane and requested to see all our boarding passes and passports and they made us get up to search through all our seats. It was too long for a trip to be that frustrating. I will never use this airline again.
RouteAddis Ababa to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"lost two of our three bags"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | London to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. The entire airline experience and our trip was ruined as Ethiopian Airlines lost two of our three bags between London and Johannesburg -- including one with an entire family's Christmas gifts and all shopping done during our trip. The quality of in-flight service, airplane, entertainment etc become irrelevant when you get to your destination and your valuable luggage has been lost. There were a number of people on the same flight with the same problem.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"service onboard was very slow"

Trip Verified | Dar Es Salaam to Washington via Addis Ababa. Not very good experience! The service onboard was very slow. The flight attendants were not helpful. Every time I turned on my call light, which was a few times, no one every answered. I got up to go to the back and find a flight attendant. I found them sitting having conversations without any care for what was going on in the aircraft. When I asked for a cup of water, one of the attendants acted like it was the largest burden in the world! Also, they charge insane fees for changing your flight. No grace, no mercy. Horrible customer service and horrible in-flight service.
RouteDar Es Salaam to Washington via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Worst customer service"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Antananaviro via Addis ababa. Worst customer service ever. I had my luggage missing for a week in Madagascar, a place where it is impossible to find replacements. When the language arrived, several items were missing. Eventually, after several weeks of emails, they agreed for a 75$ compensation, which is ridiculously low. But as I said that it is an unacceptable sum they started to ignore my emails and I haven't received a cent. The planes were old, entertainment system is probably from the early 90s. The only good thing was that they provided free hotel in Addis Ababa for the connection overnight. Make sure you ask for it at the airport check-in.
RouteTel Aviv to Antananaviro via Addis ababa