Vote Now

Ethiopian Airlines

"this flight was superb"

Verified Review | London to Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines A350. Have been flying London to Addis on and off since 1970. This flight was the shortest ever at 6 hrs and 30 mins. Arrived in Addis 45 minutes early at 0545, great but too early to phone my wife or her driver. Good job I knew two folk on the flight to have coffee with in Bole Terminal 2 arrivals whilst we awaited dawn in Addis. This flight was superb. Check in at LHR using machine system. Very smooth at the gate, no queue at all. Fully boarded early. Main course at dinner was a very tasty Goan Fish Curry. Cabin staff their normal Ethiopian best.
RouteLHR to ADD
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"thank you to the wonderful staff"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Lagos return via Addis Ababa. The seats were comfortable and the food was lovely. Cabin staff were helpful and friendly. I had full assistance with wheelchair on my flights. Flight ET901 on 17th December 2016 landing in Lagos was the softest landing I ever had. We did not feel it touch down. So good in fact the people on the plane applauded. Returning Flight ET672 on 27th December was delayed from take-off due to bad weather so I missed my connecting flight to Hong Kong. Howevet no problems. I and the other people who had missed connections were booked into hotels throughout Addis Ababa. I got The Queen of Sheba hotel. Everything was free. The room, all meals and transfers to and from the airport. I'm looking forward to my next flight with Ethiopian Airlines later in the year to Nigeria again. Thank you to the wonderful staff who looked after me.
RouteHong Kong to Lagos via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2016

"service was good, friendly and efficient"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | 2 hours delay at departure in Bangkok, due to non-functioning of the ticketing system, but I could get my connection in Addis and the luggage came on the same flight. Ethiopian now put the Dreamliner in service on the Bangkok-Addis route, a nice change from their old 767s. Meals are not really business class standard, and one of the 3 main dishes was not available on the Bangkok-Addis flight. The wine list is good, with some interesting and very exotic Ethiopian wines. Service was good, friendly and efficient. Seating on the 787 is standard 2-2-2 with full reclining sats, the cabin decoration non-existent. All in all, a good flight, especially taking into account that the ticket price is quite low.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteBKK to ACC via ADD

"overall very impressed"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Addis business class was a Boeing 787. Lounge in Cape Town is very nice, boarding was efficient and flight, seat and staff were all to high standard. The catering was average but acceptable. Addis Ababa to London the A350 was superior to Boeing 787. The only better seating setup I've experience is Qatar, easily better than Emirates business class seat. Addis Ababa transfer was quick and efficient. Lounge in Addis is basic but food was nice and it's clean and functional. All in all, Ethiopian Airways was half price of Emirates, Qatar and BA on same route. In most areas it's marginally below Emirates and Qatar but in some areas it's better (A350 is nicer set-up than Emirates 777, for example). On balance it's about 10-20% below Emirates, still excellent, but it's half the price. Overall very impressed, will fly Ethiopian again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A350
RouteCape Town to London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"unexpected 24 hour visit to Ethiopia"

Verified Review | Kinshasa to Washington Dulles via Addis Ababa and Dublin. My Ethiopian Airlines flight departed Kinshasa 4 hours late and arrived at Addis Ababa 11:30 pm (local time) with hundreds of others passengers and no organized arrangements ready for us. Waited 2 hours and after getting a hotel voucher, I had to argue and demand my checked bag back for my unexpected 24 hour visit to Ethiopia. I was sent outside the airport at 2am (alone) with luggage to look for a hotel van that was not there but there were lots of locals trying to get me into their cabs. After 40 mins waiting, airline staff finally came outside and sent me to a different hotel whose van was there. Most passengers on this flight left their homes early in the morning in Kinshasa because it usually takes 3 hours to get to the airport from downtown in order to check in 2 hours before the flight. We were finally served a tuna sandwich and warm soda 3 hours after our scheduled departure time in the waiting area of the airport. 3 hours later and nearly 10 hours after leaving my home that morning I was finally given a meal on the plane with warm soda and no ice. According to the staff, the ice melted due to the delay and there was no ice for the entire flight to ADD. I hope this gives you a better understanding of the level of fatigue I had when we arrived at nearly midnight and that every minute of delay at the airport made things more difficult. I have never eaten dinner at 3 am in a hotel before. Returned to airport for my new flight home and my name was flagged for secondary security check where they proceeded to go through every item in my luggage and purse taking everything out (for the entire waiting area to see all of my personal belongings without any privacy). Of course I protested and demanded a supervisor who tried to blame the screening on the US government. I am a U.S. Diplomat and there were many of us on that flight. So when they tell me that the US government picked my name for secondary inspection - I am very qualified to know that was not a true statement. Finally onboard the flight to Washington, which is 8 hours to Dublin, 1 hour to refuel and then another 6 hours to DC.
RouteFIH to IAD via ADD / DUB
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"clean cabin with a pleasant feeling"

Verified Review | Traveled in business class with Ethiopian Airlines as fares were so affordable I could not resist buying that. Checked in at Nairobi at the business class counters which was a pleasant experience. Flight from NBO-ADD was on time on a brand new A380. Clean cabin with a pleasant feeling. Food pre-ordered with one hot dish served. On reaching Addis disembarkation was without any hassles. ADD Airport was crowded with many transit passengers. Lounge was located on the other side of the boarding hall, whole lounge to ourselves like three persons. Special arrangements for serving Ethiopian Coffee in traditional way was another good experience. But food choice was not up to the mark in the lounge. Boarding experience on ADD-BOM leg was not so pleasant, complete havoc and looked like they merged two planes together / adjusted on delayed connecting passengers from different aircraft. Inflight services good but the way the drinks and juices are served is a little immature. Food served was great, a salmon steak. Seating quality was good in comparison to other aircrafts. Disembarkation at BOM was with out any big hassles and baggage services also needs to be addressed as baggage arrived after 35 minutes (Priority baggage).
RouteNBO to BOM via ADD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"inattentiveness of the staff"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Nairobi to Stockholm via Addis Ababa. Quite a pleasant flight in economy on Boeing 787, I was impressed with the meals - first time I've had Salmon as dinner. Quite the opposite in the older Boeing 767 used in Africa. One thing that struck me was the inattentiveness of the staff. Several passengers requested assistance by pressing the button during the flight but I never saw a single being attended to. I requested assistance but after ten minutes decided to walk into the galley myself to get something to drink. The thing that really is bad with Ethiopian is the transfer in Addis Ababa. This is one of the worst Airports I have been to and it really needs an upgraded terminal. A delayed flight by two hours in Addis Ababa with no information, quoted by pilot as being caused by Aircraft rotation, is also one reason I'm probably not using Ethiopian again.
AircraftBoeing 767 / 787
RouteNBO to ARN via ADD
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"decades behind its competitors"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. Ethiopian Airlines looks like it's stuck between a no-frills and a full service airline model. Boeing 787s which already look worn (broken seat parts) even though they're modern with unresponsive IFE touch screens and a limited amount of entertainment. I heard that Ethiopian Airlines opened a brand new catering facility but they still serve the same awful tomato chicken and rice and industrial breakfasts with bright pink sausages. Such a shame for an airline that could represent Ethiopia's incredible culinary tradition. No inflight magazine available on any flight and night kits randomly distributed to a few passengers only - same goes for pillows and blankets. Boarding disorganized and chaotic with no separate line for Star Gold/Business class passengers. Bole airport is worse than ever with filthy toilets, overcrowded boarding areas and no wifi. The only nice thing is that both flights were on time, which is good enough. I have flown Ethiopian Airlines at least once a month in the past 3 years and despite its aggressive marketing campaigns, it provides a subpar service and is still decades behind its competitors in Africa such as Qatar Airways, Etihad, Emirates and Turkish Airlines.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 737
RouteKUL to NBO via ADD

"exceeded my expectations"

Verified Review | Lagos to Los Angeles via Addis Ababa and Dublin with Ethiopian Airlines. I am a frequent flyer with Platinum Medaliion status with the Skyteam. So I am in a position to judge which service is good. I have never flown Ethiopian before 2017. My recent 25 hours plus flight was exceptional. They exceeded my expectations in every aspect. Equipment is modern and the B787 from ADD to DUB to LAX was fantastic. Food was great; courteous staff on the plane. Touch screen entertainment was superior to many other airlines I have flown. Only complaint I can say is the ground staff at the airport, maybe need a little more training on that end.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / 787
RouteLOS to LAX via ADD
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"older planes, no individual screens"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Durban to Delhi via Addis Abba. Great and pleasant cabin crew. However, flight schedule was changed several times before I even went to the airport. Even at airport, gates frequently changed and transport to plane was by delayed buses. Cheap prices, average food, but older planes with no individual seat screens. Addis Abba airport badly in need of upgrade. First to have sleeper seats but old and crowded. A few shops selling Chinese goods in US dollars. Wanted to shower and change in washrooms after several overnight flights - too crowded to do so. Basement was pitch dark and freezing cold (exposed to the elements). Toilet was a temporary trailer with porta-potties. Strong smell and windows open so everyone in lounge can see and hear you. Supposedly loading by zones but first zone called and no other - everyone just queued up to get on helter-skelter. One problem was that they did not load the disabled first - one women had to get out of her wheelchair and queue up with regular passengers at plane entrance to get to her seat. Naturally, this was difficult for her and slow. Why they did not follow other airline's policies and load the disabled and families with small kids first is beyond me. They certainly saved no time in doing so and caused great stress to the disabled as many had limited mobility.
RouteDUR to DEL via ADD