Ethiopian Airlines

"recommend if you get a good deal"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Nairobi to Bangkok via Addis Ababa. Old plane from Nairobi to Addis Ababa, tray for meal on the seat was broken. Food was ok but cake and snack were very low quality. Friendly staff. A poor lounge at Addis Ababa. Overall I would recommend if you get a good deal. However the flight service was surprisingly good.
RouteAddis Ababa to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Friendly proactive flight attendants"

(Oman)

Verified Review | Muscat - Addis Ababa - Kigali and Entebbe - Addis Ababa - Muscat in Business. Check-in in MCT and EBB swift. Outbound both flights were on time. On the return, EBB-ADD was about one hour late. This was no problem since we still had sufficient time in ADD (and the lounge in ADD terminal 1 was abysmal anyway). Seats in the Ethiopian B737 were of the old cradle type and did not incline very far. Still they were spacious and comfortable and, using the fold-out footrests, allowed for a nice nap. No IFE was available. Food and inflight staff on all four legs were simply excellent! Friendly proactive flight attendants served an excellent selection of Ethiopian and international dishes, accompanied by exceptionally high-quality wine. The two business class lounges in ADD couldn’t be have been more different. Where Terminal 2 features a modern, clean facility with comfortable seats, tasty food and drinks and sufficient toilet facilities, the old T1 lounge was a smelly unpleasant place with dirty plastic seats, flooded toilets and food which we did not dare touching.
RouteMuscat to Kigali via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2017

"no vegan meals arranged"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Cape Town via Addis Ababa. We booked our tickets in January 2017 to fly 19th July 2017. The very next day, I emailed ethiopian airlines to enquire about our special meals and about seating. I had been struggling since day one and kept receiving errors online. Constant emails throghout the year until we eventully flew in July, they confirmed our meals and seating.. Our trip from Vienna to Addis, was awful. Our seating was out by one row which meant we did not get the arranged seating but was put in front of the toilets which flushed all night. The hostess struggled with english and when we told her we had requested special meals, she took out slips of paper out of her apron and checked our seating and said no, nothing had been arranged! We did have emergency exit seats from Addis to Cape Town but no vegan meals arranged? The air stewards / hostesses were not friendly or welcoming but short and abrupt. Lights stayed on until 2am after the hostesses walked around chatting to each other with duty free trolleys while people tried to sleep. We did not sleep a wink. I saw and hear other people around me complain that when they called a hostess, they did not come. One man kept buzzing for about 20 minutes and eventually she appeared. A woman had requested something to drink an hour or more ago and she explained that it was the third time she had asked and still nothing. We did however, have only one person who was extremely helpful ( Global Call Center Ethiopian Airlines, Bole International Airport) and communicated with me before our flights and after but this issue is now out of her hands and was sent to the customer service by me 8 days ago and no reply. This is the worse airline I have flown in 20 years of flying around the world.We are most disappointed with our trip and not sure if we will fly with Ethiopian airlines again.
RouteAmsterdam to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"stay 24 hours in Addis Ababa"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. First they forgot our Luggage on our way there and we were 4 days without our luggage. Then on our way back our flight was delayed and therefore we missed our connecting flight to Frankfurt. As a result we had to stay 24 hours in Addis Ababa in a hotel. But getting to the hotel was difficult because there was chaos everywhere and the ground stuff was more than unfriendly! They sent us from one counter to another and noone had any information on what we can do now! In the end we reached that hotel at 3am after spending 3 hours at the airport waiting for our shuttle. This was the most horrible flight I've ever had and the airline didn't handle it very well. I will never take this airline again and also won't recommend you to take it. Cabin staff and and the inflight entertainment were quite good. But sadly the food was horrible.
RouteFrankfurt to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"lost the opportunity to sleep"

Verified Review | Flew Business Class on Ethiopian KGL-ADD, and ADD-DUB-LAX. Seat malfunctioned in DUB, and despite efforts by crew and myself it would not recline even using manual override control under cushion. As cabin was sold out, I lost the opportunity to sleep on a very long flight. I contacted customer service and requested some compensation, who forwarded my details to the central office. Then nothing for 2 weeks until I had to re-inquire. Finally they came back and offered me US$50 or 2,000 Sheba miles. When I said that this seemed insufficient to cover the loss of the seat for 10+hrs, then said I had "utilized all the services of business class", but "to reclaim my confidence" offered to increase their offer to 2,500 Sheba miles. Needless to say I will not be flying Ethiopian again, and I would urge others to think twice. As an additional warning to those who may be considering them, the transfer in ADD is absolutely horrendous, requiring additional security screening with insufficient staff, so plan on 90-120 minutes in line with hundreds of people pushing/jumping lines.
RouteKigali to Los Angeles via Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the best idea in East Africa"

Verified Review | Lilongwe to Nairobi via Addis Ababa, they are currently the cheapest option to go. The flight was via Addis Abeba but still only half the price than a direct flight. Ethiopian usually uses a 737-800 for the LLW-ADD leg and stops in Blantyre, but on Saturdays and Sundays, it is replaced by a 767-300 and there are two seperate flights to Lilongwe and Blantyre. Check In in Lilongwe was messy, as the Check In Agents were the slowest in the world and the ticketing system failed due to a electronic problem. Ethiopian asks its passengers to arrive 3 hours prior to departure which is definetly a good call. As the online system does not know, that on Saturdays and Sundays the aircraft is changed, seats can not be preselected and so it was first come first sit. The flight was on time to depart and about 20 minutes early in Addis. Although the aircraft used was a pretty worn down 767, the seats turned out to be quite comfy and the legroom was enormous. Food was great (I preordered vegetarian) and the crew was very nice and welcoming. Bole International Airport in Addis Abeba is one of the worst managed airports I have ever been to, so as good as the flight was, as bad was the airport. The flight from Addis to Nairobi was on a new 737-800 and although it was packed full, boarding and takeoff were on time. Again very nice and friendly crew and good food. To put it in a nutshell: Flying with Ethiopian is usually the best idea in East Africa, their only downturn is their base at Bole Airport.
AircraftBoeing 767-300 / 737-800
RouteLilongwe to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"food was absolutely delicious"

Verified Review | Addis Ababa to London. A contrast to my flight out, this time around the food was absolutely delicious and there was lots of it! Two full meals plus two rounds of warm drinks. Cabin Crew were nice but spoke no English even for safety briefings. IFE was the same boring selection of bland American rubbish as the flight out. The plane was clean although the toilets were in a bit of a state halfway through the 7 hour flight.
RouteAddis Ababa to London

"The IFE was boring"

Verified Review | London to Addis Ababa. The food was inedible, meatballs in a gloopy tomato sauce with pasta tubes. The crew were friendly enough but just doing a job. English announcements (I encountered this on domestic flights and my return too) appeared to be someone reading and transliterating from Amharic into a language they don't speak, which was hilarious on occasion. The IFE was boring, packed full of American rubbish. Literally every single comedy on offer was American for some reason. The flight was more or less on time.
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"booked flight on another airline"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Riyadh to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. I booked a flight with Attar travels and paid cash for my ticket. On arrival at the airport in Riyadh I should in the line at the counter from 12 midnight waiting for check-in till 3.30am. No one showed up to check us in or explain anything to us. Because we continued to wait till after 3.30am (flight departure time), security asked us to move outside with our luggage. No one was explaining if there was a technical problem or flight cancellation or just a delay. No one from Ethiopian airlines was at the airport to assist with any queries. It turned out to be that this flight was delayed five times for the day. After numerous enquiries it was discovered that Ethiopian airlines was removing illegal immigrants from Saudi Arabia on flights that we had paid for. Eventually when they decided to check us in, they issued me with incorrect boarding passes and I ended up walking from one terminal to the next to try and correct this, until I missed my flight. I was told to wait for the next nights check-in at 12 and see the manager who would be able to assist me. So considering I already waited about 12 hours, I waited for the manager who refused to help anyone. There were a lot of people with similar problems. The manager told us to go to the Ethiopian office in Riyadh at 10am the next day to have new tickets reissued to us. So I was desperate and did so. On arrival I was greeted by more than 50 customers and only one officer to help us. Having already wasted two days at the airport, I decide this was enough and booked a flight on another airline and flew home to South Africa the next day. I have never experienced anything so horrifying in my entire life before. Not a soul can offer you an explaination or any reassurance, leave food or water or a place to rest and can you imagine having not slept in more than 24 hours. It was a disasterous occurrence that I wish never to experience again. To date I have contacted Ethiopian airlines customer services and compensation for this disastrous episode.
RouteRiyadh to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2017

"plane looked tired and faded"

Verified Review | Ethiopian is a very poor airline. Boarding in Nairobi was disorganized with no priority for Star Alliance Gold passengers. The plane looked tired and faded despite being a B737 with Sky Interior. The food was the absolute worst I've tasted on a plane: smelly, badly reheated and poorly plated with sauce dripping on the table. Arrival in Addis is a mess, with non-English speaking staff everywhere and poor signage. Avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteNairobi to Addis Ababa