Emirates

Emirates customer review

Flew SYD-DXB-GRU-DXB-SYD in December and January. I am a Qantas Gold Frequent Flyer and had originally booked Economy but I upgraded to Business for the first leg and then received further upgrades on subsequent flights. Second time I have flown Emirates and was very impressed. Easy check-in in Sydney and Sao Paulo and transit in Dubai very easy. Found all staff both inflight and on ground extremely friendly and helpful. Meals on all flights were excellent with a wide variety of choices - all accompanied by some excellent wines. The ICE - entertainment system offered incredibly varied options of entertainment. My only complaint was the angled lie flat bed on the B777-300 - I have a real thing about angled lie flat bed. Luggage arrived quickly and the "Priority" tag seemed if it actually meant something with Emirates - I am sure it is for appearance factor only on other airlines. Overall the flights were highly enjoyable relaxing and I would definitely use Emirates again.

Emirates customer review

EK005 7th Jan Business class with my wife and two boys aged 7 and 4. Very disappointing. The pre-ordered children's meals were not available! I was told by the FA that they had been given to other children. Why were there not sufficient meals on board? I can understand if an adult choice is not available but an airline of this supposed stature should not do this. The adult choices were spicy or containing beef which we do not eat. When I complained the FA giggled and offered me a drink! The service was disorganised and awful. I will avoid Emirates in the future!

Emirates customer review

Travelled London to New Zealand via Dubai and Sydney. Inflight entertainment was superb but unfortunately that's about the only positive thing I can say about the airline. Of the half dozen requests made to the in flight staff all were turned down and we're not talking about anything special. Examples such as; "can I have a new set of headphones these don't work" "can you please fix my screen as it won't turn on". Food service was shambolic children's meals being sent out up to an hour before the rest of the service crew walking around randomly with a couple of trays looking for people repeated offers to give me a child's meal even though I had never asked for one! So inefficient. Once the main service started the crew constantly ran out of options condiments bread rolls etc. because they were blocking the aisles for so long people who had been served wanted to use the rest rooms and the crew didn't want to let them past and didn't want to clear up the children's trays which in some cases were there from 2 hours before. Having the inflight entertainment interrupted for Emirates advertising is pretty irritating too especially when you are trying to settle children down who don't want a seat belt on pre take off. Lastly - would it hurt the crew to treat the passengers like customers? Smile respond to passenger calls and don't stand around the galleys gossiping. Won't be flying myself and family again and wouldn't recommend Emirates.

Emirates customer review

HAM-DXB-HAM with B777. As always EK flight was fairly pleasant even when both flights have been packed. Entertainment system is second to none space and food better than with all European airlines. Service good both flights have been more or less in time. Check in procedure efficient. Unfortunately this time it happens to me that the stewardess spilled some coffee over my sweater. She felt very embarrassed and apologised with champagne from biz class.

(Malaysia)

The 777 kills it. The expected A380 between Kuala Lumpur and Dubai was switched a few day ago for the Boeing 777. What a let down. Yes the A380 is great but the seating on most 777s does not provide enough space and I am a normal shape. The idea of sitting at an angle or hugging the next guy for 7 hours does not appeal to me enough to change airline which will offer me a wider seat. The 777 is a gold mine for the airline but not suited too narrow for an extra seat.

Emirates customer review

We flew Sydney - Dublin return and it was underwhelming to say the least. The service on board was very poor meals were rushed and it took over an hour and two requests to get a glass of water on more than one occasion. The cabin crew were at best not very friendly with some being extremely rude. Passengers who needed to use the washroom during the meal service were told by one crew member to wait until after the service or they would not get back to their seat.

(Vietnam)

I flew Ho Chi Minh City transiting in Dubai to London Heathrow. I usually fly Thai because it's the fastest route by far but the recent political protests in BKK made me think it was probably unwise to transit through Bangkok at the moment. I was deeply disappointed with the seat on the HCMC to Dubai leg of the journey. I was expecting one of those not quite flat angled seat beds but it wasn't even that. The 777-200 on that route is just a reclining seat. Since the flight leaves at 00.40 in the morning I was hoping to get at least some sleep before Dubai. I fly business class to get the sleep. I might as well have flown economy. The food was very mediocre as well. However staff were very nice. The business class lounge in Dubai is excellent. I can't praise it highly enough. The food is great the showers are wonderful and the staff are friendly and helpful. The second leg of the journey was on the A380 the seat was lovely - a fully flat bed in one of those little cubicles. Unfortunately this leg of the trip was during daylight hours so everyone was being very noisy and so despite the bed I couldn't get any sleep and arrived exhausted. The food on this leg of the journey was perfectly okay. The staff were all polite but strangely distracted and not terribly co-ordinated on this leg. The wait between first course and main was about 40 minutes. Very odd. I don't know if anyone from Emirates every reads these things but if they do - could you please put earplugs in the amenity kits? All in all I'd say that although Thai planes are a little older and shabbier the cabin crew are better trained and co-ordinated the food is better the seats may not be totally lie flat but at least you get to lie down on the flights. And most importantly they always give you ear plugs.

(New Zealand)

Recently flown Emirates while on holiday with my family to Singapore and Sydney from New Zealand. I have very specific requirements when traveling due to using an electric wheelchair for mobility. Despite emailing the airline in advance with these requirements I had a distressing experience using this airline. It was awful from check-in to landing. The customer service was terrible at the check-in desk. The Emirates crew at Sydney airport were unfriendly and they were more interested in talking amongst themselves. At check-in I explained that I'd like to drive my wheelchair up to the entrance of the plane. Check-in staff made a lot of calls and eventually they assured me they were happy with my request. Having reached the gate with my family the bad service continued. The lady at the gate was surprised to see me and asked why I wasn't in a transit chair. She refused to process my boarding early. She ignored my explanation regarding my wheelchair and brought out a transit chair for me to transfer into. When I refused she made more calls and finally she allowed my family and I to continue toward the entrance of the plane. On board usually when a passenger with a disability is onboard a Cabin Service Manager (CSM) comes to say “hello”and make sure all is OK. I was totally ignored. The food was terrible to say the least. Flight attendants did not seem interested in passengers. When we landed I had to wait for other passengers to get off first. Once the cabins were cleared I was told that a chair was on its way. 15 minutes later she showed us to a transit chair. My heart sank. I asked where my chair was and I asked that it be brought to the entrance of the plane instead. I pointed out to her that she clearly saw me board the plane with my chair and I was requesting the same procedure to happen in order for me to get off the plane. Within a few minutes my chair was brought to the plane. What could have been a very simple problem to resolve turned out to be a nightmare. I am hesitant to travel with Emirates again.

Emirates customer review

Bangkok to Sydney departing 10/1/14 QF 8418. Very disappointing after all the hype. Check in was a long and tedious process and between my wife and I we were a couple of kilos over the checked baggage allowance and had to argue the toss for them to allow to 2 kilos over between the two of us. Boarding at Bangkok was confusing. The inflight service was not too bad except we were served breakfast missing the promised croissants and whe we brought this to the cabin crews attention they found two cold ones for us. We had to ask three times for our Sydney arrival cards to be given to us. The entertainment system is excellent. Following our first experience with Emirates would not recommend them as a first choice airline as there are better alternatives. Emirates is either expanding too fast or resting on its laurels.

Emirates customer review

MEL-KUL-DXB-DEL COK-DXB-KUL SIN-MEL (the latter-most operated by QF). Return ticket (AUD1250) was excellent value for money. One of the more noticeable (but unfortunate) features was the rather surly and cold service across all EK flights. Most attendants were not too friendly concentrating on mechanically serving their flights which were fully booked. However food and beverage was solid and entertainment was excellent. Some points about particular flights: The EK409 MEL-KUL-DXB flight was unusually full of large families with young children so be prepared for a screaming economy cabin if booking this flight I would hazard a guess. This is not ideal especially given that the flight leaves MEL a few hours after midnight when you'd want a sleep. EK give me an opportunity to upgrade my COK-DXB flight to business through email for AUD330 which I took up. It was an amazing experience (for someone who has never flown business before). Service (unlike the economy service) was very warm friendly without being overbearing and the food and drink was excellent and constant (I ordered extra bread and dessert brought out very willingly). One of the attendants even got out a staff camera to take a picture for me which was a nice touch to the flight as I had told them it was my first time on business class. EK346 DXB-KUL on the A380 didn't seem any different from other aircraft although the inflight wifi was a added bonus. Overall I'd recommend EK for the excellent price but don't expect tip-top Singapore Airlines-type service.