Vote Now

Emirates

"I have to bring up two issues"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | I have been taking Emirates service between Bangkok and Hong Kong a few times a year for more than 6 years. Little has changed (although on the more recent A380s there is unfortunately no side pocket for books, iPads etc.), the meals and wines remain very good, the bar at the back is excellent, service is efficient and the lounge offerings better than most airlines. Plus I love the aircraft. But I have to bring up two issues. The IFE Guide used to be user-friendly. Now the airline has jazzed it up, it is a design mess and extremely difficult to read! Movies have no timings. What is the point of that, especially for short flights? To find out timings you have to open each channel and wade through ads each time. So if you are considering which of 4 or 5 movies to select you waste a lot of time and patience with the added possibility you'll miss the end of the movie before landing. Then there are the audio programmes. Once again the classical music section used to be hugely comprehensive. Now it is another mess. What is the point of having a composer's name as the title of a channel - like just Mendelssohn or Mozart - when the works being performed are not listed? Do we have to check the screen every time? If so, then even that often does not provide the information. Wagner wrote operas and so is understandably included in the Opera section (although with no works listed). Yet he also appears in the non-operatic section. To find out what that included, I started the channel. Nothing on the screen gave me any clue what was about to be played. Never mentioned anywhere is the fact it is the opera Das Rheingold - almost two and a half hours non-stop music and singing! No indication either of artists, conductors and orchestras, all of interest to those listening. Something really has to be done to include more pertinent accurate detail in the Guide. My other disappointment was having foregone the meal and watched a movie, when it was over I went to the bar to get some canapés. As I went to the nearby toilet to wash my hands, there were plenty available. Less than 45 seconds later, everything had been dumped into the trash bins - even though there were still 35 minutes of the flight remaining and drinks were still being served. Surely you don't get rid of bar offerings so quickly - at least until the descent has started!
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"the worst experience ever"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Dubai. They blocked seats so when I tried to check in online 48hr before, I was stuck in the seat they assigned me. We were a family of four travelling together. We were separated in the huge A380. I cannot move our family to sit together or even close by. I called the customer service, and also raised my concern with their social media team, the feedback I got was that all passengers had already checked in by then - which was ridiculous. And they refused to help. Their staff told me, in a quite rude way, that I should've paid a lot more for a better cabin. Second, on the flight from Dubai to Hong Kong, they ran out of food (food, not food selection) when the trolly reached me. I asked why this happened since there was fixed number of passengers/seats on board, and the flight attendant, at first, said that this should be expected by passengers, and asked if I wanted to have cup noodle instead. Until later she said that was a mistake. She then offered me one sandwich and said to me that it supposed to be staff's meal but I can take it (any staff will have no meal during the flight?) I refused. Later on when they started to collect left-overs, miraculously, the flight attendant 'found' one meal and wanted to offer to me. This is disgusting. This is simply the worst experience ever.
RouteHong Kong to Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"hasn't changed much since my last trip with them in 2013"

Verified Review | To me, Emirates hasn't changed much since my last trip with them in 2013. It still offers free train ticket (in Germany) that connects your home to the airport. Flights from Munich to Beijing via Dubai were on-time. Onboard service was great with a good selection of food and alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks. I went for some vodka and they served me Russian Standard, a premium vodka distilled in St. Petersburg. That was a pleasant surprise. The only downside of the trip was Munich airport. Emirates uses Munich's Terminal 1, which is very outdated and small, especially so when being compared to Munich airport's new Terminal 2. On our way back, at Munich there were only 3 immigration windows and a small luggage carousel for the 500 passengers from a fully packed A380.
RouteMunich to Beijing via Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"would not pay for full Biz Class"

Verified Review | Larnaca to Malta. This is the only way to get to Malta from Cyprus and it isn't a bad option. Bought a coach ticket and a few days before EK sent an email for an upgrade to Business for Euro 320. One-way business fare is Euro 800 so I thought what the heck - I'll do it. You get neither the car service pick-up nor access to the business class lounge - it's stated when you buy the upgrade - but I think I wouldn't do it again as it's totally ridiculous not to give you lounge access. Check-in was friendly and flight boarded on-time. They use the 7-across business Boeing 777-300ER for this route which is false advertising as the upgrade email said lie-flat seats in private all aisle-access seating. But I had the seat next to me free and enjoyed the space. ICE is always the best of any airline so can't fault entertainment system. Service - the key point - was the downfall. The FA serving my side was lacking much personality, hard to get her to smile but I did manage it once. The male FA was mostly flirting with the lady passengers behind me and not until we lifted off did he come by and introduce himself. Food was average - had the same in coach on other airlines. Cabin was clean and again seat was comfortable for the 2 1/2 hour trip. Landed on time but priority bags came out last - which was a pain as I had a car waiting for over an hour after I landed. Overall it was fine but I would not pay for full Biz Class on any EK flight. They really don't offer the high level of service that they show on TV.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLarnaca to Malta

"rude, frustrating, demeaning"

Verified Review | New York to Male via Dubai. I am sitting in the Maldives a day later than I was supposed to arrive waiting for a sea plane for two hours, because Emirates overbooked my flight from Dubai to the Maldives. They kicked my husband and I off the flight with absolutely no other option. So we had to get up at 1am and take 4:30am flight to get into the Maldives a day late. Their rude clerks informed me this was my only option. Since we had to reschedule our sea plane to our island, I am stuck at another airport waiting for hours since all flights for today were already booked. Oh did I mention this is supposed to be my honeymoon. Emirates cost me a day and a half at my beach resort on my honeymoon. Their consolation round trip tickets are all well and good except I don't have any time off of work to travel again, and we really can't afford another vacation. Their airline is supposed to be elite, but my experience has been inconvenient, rude, frustrating, demeaning, and enraging. This is unacceptable.
RouteNew York to Male via Dubai

"nothing extra special"

Dublin to Singapore via Dubai. Service not very pleasant and mainly in Dublin airport the Emirates staff were quite unfriendly - all this from check in up to getting to the plane, was reminding me the situation from maybe 3-4 years ago with Ryanair. But Emirates is not low cost company! The service and food onboard also nothing extra special.
RouteDublin to Singapore via Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"four hour delay before take-off"

Verified Review | Flew Emirates from Dubai to London Heathrow. Four hour delay before take-off due to a technical problem only apparent after we had taxied to the runway for take-off. Food service offered but never materialised. Child meals later provided were unhealthy and inedible. During both legs of the flight there was a mad panic from the aircrew attempting to ready the cabin for landing as if this had been delayed until the last possible moment. The flight deck reminding them that we were at 10000 feet and they really ought to be sitting down. At the end of the flight there was an announcement that 'I hope the delay hasn't caused too much inconvenience' Really? Arriving home at 1am instead of 9pm with young children? Missing the last tube? Glib nonsense.
RouteDubai to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"what a great product you have in the A380"

Verified Review | Flown with Emirates a few years ago and it was great. But this time, Emirates what has happened to you. The Glasgow leg I was so disappointed with no hot towels and very few drink runs. Ran out of meal choice of Lamb and crew looked disinterested. Was not looking forward to second leg of the journey. When my wife and I checked in they could not confirm that we would be sitting together on the second leg even though we had booked six months ago. Then it all changed, when a very helpful gent at the Emirates counter sorted us out with new boarding passes. It was the game changer for us. We got the best seats in the house right at front of plane 41a and 41b they were great. Food was great plenty of drinks runs, this crew were on the ball. The leading cabin Steward was very efficient in his duties and his manners were impeccable. Live Football, Wifi what a great product you have in the A380. Really enjoyed my time on your flagship route to Auckland. Will be looking forward to using you again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300, A380
RouteGlasgow to Auckland via Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"becoming a budget hub operator"

Verified Review | Newcastle to Bahrain via Dubai. I have made 5 trips with Emirates in the last 15 months, made up of 20 flights. There has been a steady decline in quality and the service provided. It seems that Emirates is becoming a budget hub operator. The prices have stayed the similar, however with saver fares you must pay to select your seat before check in. This wouldn't be too bad, but Emirates don't allow the purchase of exit seats which is bad compared to other carriers. The choice of drinks onboard has decreased and certain routes have had snacks removed, which existed before. It seems the cabin crew are not as courteous as I first experienced and even seem slightly unprofessional. My biggest complaint is that they cancelled one of my flights, gave me an alternative that got me to my destination 24 hours late. After calling them they changed it to the earlier flight meaning I'd make my connection. The way they came across on the phone was that I should be grateful they changed it for free. Now I had a long connection in Dubai and asked for lounge access as a form of compensation, which they refused. They said waiving the cost of changing my flight was my compensation. Changing the flight in the first place was their fault. Also, when I landed in Bahrain it took nearly an hour and half for my luggage and there was still half the passengers waiting when I left. Overall, a budget choice if you have no other option. Emirates is very much a last option for myself now.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteNewcastle to Bahrain via Dubai
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"delayed for over 9 hours"

Verified Review | Seattle to Delhi via Dubai. Worst customer service ever. Flight delayed for over 9 hours, no accomodation at all except $15 voucher. Customer service guy just walked away from conversation when asked for accomodation and said that is the maximum they can do.
AircraftEk227