Emirates

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2015

I flew Emirates for my first time recently. Having read reviews talking about how great they are and reviews about how cramped their 777 is, I was sceptical. My flight was quite cheap to book ($~650USD). Be warned however, that if you are not flying to or from the US, luggage rules are stricter. If you fly to/from the US, you receive 2 x 20kg bags, otherwise, it is 30kg total. This forced me to spend $350USD on an extra 5kg of luggage, which was quite a hassle. Despite the availability of business class seats, you can only upgrade with points, not cash. The flight was fine, the flight attendants are very sweet and helpful, and the food was some of the best I've had. However - food and drink service takes at least an hour to be delivered, leaving many people finishing their meals before receiving a drink. The seat was pretty standard, I had an empty one next to me, which helped. An inch in each direction would be great. Emirates saved money on the 777 by fitting 10 seats across instead of the usual 9, this leaves very small walkways, and tightens the seats up a bit. However, I'm 6'3" and didn't have too much trouble. Just be aware, the seats aren't anything to write home about. The ICE entertainment system was good, but a bit jumpy and laggy. Otherwise, ok selection of movies. Unfortunately, my flight didn't have WiFi installed yet. Lastly, the scheduling of the flights seems silly, the Dubai airport is flooded with people at midnight. Emirates should rethink their scheduling system.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteCape Town to Oslo via Dubai

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 3rd August 2015

I have become a loyal Emirates traveller over the past year with short hops in and out of Saudi Arabia on a regular basis and retained Gold status. However, this flight reminded me why I do not rate Emirates for longer haul. Flight was a hour late leaving due to slow loading of cargo and then we missed our take off slot. Drink service came 1.5 hours after take off and food started 1 hour later - but took nearly 1.5 hours to get out all courses. By this time we were 2/3rds of the way into the flight (so if we had wanted to sleep forget it) and by Dubai time (my starting point) it was gone 4pm. Food was a starter of tiny piece of smoked duck, mains were something with rice and since there were a lot on non-Chinese on the flight I think in business class there should have been another non-rice choice. My main was two tiny bits of skin covered in tasteless red gunge which was supposed to be sweet and sour chicken plus something that once may have have been pak choi but was so waterlogged it clearly had drowned weeks ago. Totally inedible. About an hour later they offered us a snack - it was barely an hour since lunch - it all smelled awful and what I saw of it was not worth touching. Sorry, Emirates, next time I fly to the Far East I will check out Qatar and will remain loyal as before to BA for London/Europe/States despite their old planes.
RouteDubai to Beijing

Review by (Germany) 2nd August 2015

The 2nd leg of my wife's and my return flight from the Seychelles and a discounted upgrade into business class. Apart from relatively comfortable and spacey seating, nothing special. Friendly staff, but the three-course meal was served and cleared much too quickly, forcing us to eat our food much faster than we would have in economy, and making the beginning of the flight not relaxing at all. The food itself was ok for business, but not much better than in economy. Entertainment great as always. After all - only the seating justified the upgrade.
RouteDubai to Frankfurt

Review by (Australia) 2nd August 2015

Overall we found the experience disappointing. The seats were average, the WiFi was fine (10mb for free) the entertainment system had a good variety of programs, the food was ordinary and the service was indifferent (on our return flight one of the stewardess's was incredibly rude) although the ground staff in Dubai were fantastic. This is the 5th time we have flown this route and have had far better experiences with other airlines (Singapore, Malaysian, JAL and Saudi)
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSingapore to Paris via Dubai

Review by (South Africa) 28th July 2015

Flight from Cape Town was late into Dubai due to traffic parked at a different terminal to the connecting flight but at a remote spot. Had to use stairs, then a 15 minute bus ride then a train ride into chaotic terminal 3 with no help at all to get to the gate. At least 20 on the arriving flight had to run for their lives to get to our gate on time. Was exhausted and not even a minute to have a drink in the lounge. The A380 great after the 777. At Heathrow waited an hour at the carousel for the luggage. No help from any Emirates staff only one bag out of three had been loaded in Dubai. They should have sent someone to the baggage reclaim to advise as there were quite a few people who had no baggage. When we got through immigration the Emirates car had left us stranded. On the return the Dubai leg was good but a repeat of the first leg the Cape Town flight parked miles away from terminal 3 and boarding was total chaos. Lugging your overnight bags up stairs I thought went out in the 60's. No amenity bags on the Heathrow - Dubai was told that if the flight is under 7 hours and in Daylight that's the new policy despite the fact you paid a premium for the ticket. I think Emirates has grown way too big to cope or care about their customers and they can't cope. Transfers between terminals in Dubai are a most unpleasant experience.
AircraftBoeing 777 and A380
RouteCape Town to London via Dubai

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

Great flight from JFK to Milan. The aircraft is new and roomy. Lots of great entertainment to watch on the widescreen seat monitors. Seats were very comfortable. We were seated by the galley, which unfortunately, was a little noisy and was hard to sleep, but other than that, I can't wait to fly Emirates again. One of the better airlines I've been on. Our return flight home a couple weeks later was also a really good experience. Thumbs up to Emirates! (at least to this particular plane and route).
RouteJFK to Milan

Review by (Italy) 28th July 2015

All was fine: ground services, cabin crew, food and beverages. The seat was very comfortable and the ICE system had a great selection of movies and other live programs. The cabin was very silent and the WiFi network worked fine.
RouteNew York to Milan

Review by (China) 28th July 2015

The flight was delayed in Vienna. After boarding, I felt very cold due to the A/C being turned to extremely cold. I was told that the WiFi would work on this flight, however, the truth is that it didn't work. When I arrived in DXB, I had to pass through another Security Gate to transfer. The ground staff worked so ineffectively that there was a very long queue. The airport was full of people and it was very hard for me to get to my boarding gate. The second flight was from DXB to CAN. When boarding, I found that there was water leaking from the luggage rack. No air hostess came to deal with it.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteVienna to Guangzhou via Dubai

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

The service provided by the cabin crew was excellent, escorted to our suites, individually addressed by name. The suites are excellent and the facilities great, especially the ICE entertainment. The shower is out of this world, we both had three each. The business class bar has a good selection of drinks and snacks, the bar staff being particularly friendly. The first class bar is self serving again wth snacks and rolls,and a great selection of spirits. Not forgetting the dining, silver service with an option to eat at our own convenience. Choice of food excellent, accompanying wine and champagne first class.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteManchester to Mauritius via Dubai

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

Delayed departure of 24 hours due to a broken fuel gauge on 380, however given 2 separate £10 meal vouchers in the first 5 hours at the airport and then taken to 4 star hotel and again given Dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Flight to Dubai, excellent entertainment but slow inefficient service with only one stewardess per trolley resulting in trolley being left in aisle if she had to go and get something from galley. Due to travelling with a school group that had to travel together onward flight to Delhi necessitated a further 24 hour stopover in Dubai but at least in a decent Hotel. Night flight to Delhi on 777 with much better service. Entertainment system good but not to the standard as on 380. Return flights same story, quick efficient service on 777 slow and inefficient on 380.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777