Emirates

"unfriendly, arrogant cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Zürich to Phuket via Dubai. I had high expectations since I heard that Emirates should be very good, but I was very disappointed. The customer service was terrible. I am not sure they even know what it means. The stewardesses had a very arrogant, superior attitude which I found just low and disgusting. As they went down the aisle they went with hard steps as if they wanted all attention on themselves. One time a stewardess was serving drinks and as she presented the tablet with the drinks, my boyfriend wanted to take the tray to make it easier to take our drinks. Then she said in not such a friendly tone; "Just take the drinks please." Not politeness, no smile. I don't know if they are able to smile, because we didn't see much of it. They may think that the red lipstick makes them look nice, but a smile is way more beautiful. Another time a stewardess was serving food and drinks and as she came to our row I looked up. Then she said in an arrogant tone; "Hold on please", then walked away and came back a little later. I hadn't said anything to her. At the end of a flight a man came to collect all the headphones. I gave mine to my boyfriend so he could give it, because he sat by the aisle. He gave it to the man and a little later the man asked for the headphones, not in a nice way and with no smile. My boyfriend then told him he had already given it. He just looked and then went on. No apology, which one would actually expect. When you work in the service business you cannot act all arrogant and superior, because then you lose customers which you are dependent on to receive salary. They obviously didn't learn what I learned as I was working in the service business. That the customer is the boss. Another thing was that as we boarded the plane, it reeked of perfume, which was just very nauseating to be honest. Very disappointing was also on the flight from Dubai to Phuket as my boyfriend and I didn't get to sit together even though we had booked as a couple. We were told that if there were some available seats in the back that we could maybe sit together. The stewardess never came. My boyfriend then saw that there were some available seats in the back and we asked a stewardess if we could sit there. Then she said that no, these seats are for the cabin crew to sit down for breaks. Uhm, what? I have never experienced that the cabin crew is sitting with the rest of the passengers. So this was very odd. The food was ok, the entertainment was not to be complained about, but the rude, unfriendly, arrogant cabin crew just ruined everything for me. I have this to say to those arrogant stewardesses; "Get over yourselves and get down from your high horse, you are not better than anyone." So I will not be travelling with Emirates again, and I will certainly not recommend it to anyone I know, quite the contrary actually.
RouteZürich to Phuket via Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Emirates has a lot of work to do"

Trip Verified | Newark to Athens on Boeing 777-300 in Business Class. Emirates is a better airline than any US carrier but it aspires, it says, to be the best airline in the world. It is far from that.My flight was delayed due to some issue of getting our aircraft to the gate. The information about this delay was non-existent at check-in. I found out about the delay only after the agent in the SAS Lounge (who doesn't work for Emirates) told me about it. Eventually, we were told the flight was boarding. We left to discover nothing of the sort. The gate area was chaos. The flight was not boarding, not even close. The employees, about 6 in number, were glued to their smart phones texting and surfing. I would fire every last one of them. They made infrequent and irregular announcements, with incorrect information. The boarding time kept getting moved. The employees sat on their phones. Finally, we started to board. Well, not the Premium passengers. First, the people traveling needing extra assistance and with children. Eventually, Business class boarded, but only after an Emirates person line jumped with a group of passengers in front of us. Once on board, I encountered a seat with a non-functional small video screen that is used to control the seat! Fortunately, the seat next to me was empty. The seat is not the standard these days. Angled lie flat is so 1980. Middle seats in Business Class? Are you kidding, Emirates? Whoever made this decision should be fired. The wine list contained one champagne (good selection) and two whites (one a dismal CA Chardonnay, the other a nice Sancerre) and two reds (one a pedestrian Oregon Pinot and one a 2007 Bordeaux that was quite nice). This selection pales in comparison to Qatar. Food quality was very good, although the crew wanted to rush me through the meal. I didn't let them. Eventually, they adjusted. Crew service was spotty. At times personal and nice, and at times missing or impersonal. The inflight entertainment is extensive but the system is CLUNKY to use and the endless ads before any movie is irritating beyond belief. It is also very hard to scroll quickly through the movie options. They are also poorly organized into categories, in my opinion. For the money, Qatar is a far better airline with a truly premium treatment for people in premium classes. Better seats, friendlier crews, better wine, and an overall better experience is available on Qatar. Emirates has a lot of work to do.
RouteNewark to Athens

"very polite staff"

Trip Verified | Dubai to London Heathrow on an A380. An amazing cabin, well lit and with great leg room for long haul and excellent IFE. Great experience, very polite staff, great food served twice on a long flight and arrival on time even after leaving Dubai late. The departure from Dubai was a very painful experience however - 400+ passengers queuing in front of a gate that was showing "boarding" while boarding hadn't started. Then, passport checks (not immigration, only at the gate) four times. I wonder what the staff checks when they look at a passport 4 times.
AircraftA380-800
RouteDubai to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"seat pitch and width is ridiculous"

Trip Verified | Malé to Dubai. Another very unpleasant flight on Emirates Boeing 777. The seat pitch and width is ridiculous - legroom is limited even for for petite body type ladies. Space under the front seat is reduced even more by a box of equipment. IFE is classic 777 with lots of movies and options, but on a very small and badly lit screen. Wifi was not working, even though not over countries that prohibit it. On the positive side, food was good and flight departed and arrived on time.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteMalé to Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"quietest cabin I have experienced"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Dubai. The Emirates A380 is an absolute pleasure. The aircraft is a wonder of modern technology, the smoothest ride you can imagine, and the quietest cabin I have experienced. Lots of leg room, excellent cabin lighting and temperature, lots of room to walk around, and excellent inflight entertainment. A database of around 500 movies in many languages is available. You can connect your device by USB and listen to your music or watch your own movies on the bigger screen. Large windows and 3 flight cameras available all the time. In flight service reminds me of the old days when we had nice meals on planes served with metal cutlery. Inflight wifi with 20MB free of charge and mobile phone connectivity for calls. Brilliant.
AircraftA380-800
RouteLondon Heathrow to Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Very disappointing for Emirates"

Trip Verified | Boeing 777-300ER (A6-EBL) was very difficult 5.5 hours from Dubai to Hanoi. The seats are very narrow and leg room is nonexistent, especially if the person in front of you decides to recline the seat. Furthermore, there is a box of equipment under the front seat, further reducing room for your feet, so you can't even stretch your legs as the comfort video tells you to. I know Emirates have a few configurations for the 777, it seems they put the condensed seats on the Asian routes, profiling the average body size of the passengers. Very disappointing for Emirates. IFE is standard Emirates with many movies and options but on a very small and badly lit screen, old fashioned equipment. On the positive side, wifi was great and much faster than the A380.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteDubai to Hanoi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"if you need assistance, don't bother"

Trip Verified | Flew London Heathrow to Perth via Dubai. As someone who struggles to walk distances and has to use a walking cane I asked Emirates for ground assistance. This was agreed, confirmed and confirmed again at check in where they advised it had not been added. On boarding the aircraft when those needing time/assistance were asked to board I found myself behind at least 10 able bodied passengers jumping the queue. To add insult to injury, after getting on board, the stewardess then made me wait while one of these able bodied passengers messed around for 5 minutes. When I did get to my seat, I had spent that long standing and queuing that I was in a lot of pain. Thanks Emirates. Arriving in Dubai where I was supposed to be assisted, again there was no help and I had to struggle across the airport in pain. Its now 4 flights requesting assistance and zero flights where it has been provided. Emirates may be ok if you are able bodied, but if you need assistance, don't bother.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Perth via Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"not be flying this airline in future"

Trip Verified | New York to Delhi return via Dubai. The staff did not seem properly trained. The communication is difficult because some staff cant speak English very well. At Delhi airport, I was three hours early ready to get on board but some employee told me to stand in line to get checked in. They didn't properly guide us or let us board the flight. The line was extremely long and it took me 1.5 hours to get checked in. I discussed my issues with one of the employees and told him I am not happy with the service. His response was very poor and he seemed to not understand the issue. On the flight to Delhi, we requested an Asian meal but they denied to gave us an Asian meal on the flight, which I found very strange. After reaching Dubai, the security man was asking so many question and checked my handbag very vigorously. I asked the security guy why he was being so aggressive with my belongings and he explained to me my boarding password code was "SSSS", which means they have to check your body and bag very seriously. The flight from Dubai to JFK was better, but again, they failed to serve us any Asian vegetarian food. I will not be flying with this airline in the future.
RouteNew York to Delhi via Dubai
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Hello Tomorrow? More like Hello Never"

Trip Verified | Unforgettable experience flying with Emirates from Singapore to Rome via Dubai. I was booked on flight EK433, with scheduled departure on Friday at 9.35am but was notified last minute via text message at 4.23am that I had been put on EK353 departing at 10.10am instead. To make things worse, that flight was delayed for another 1 hour 10 minutes. I didn’t know if I was traveling with Emirates or a budget airline that cancels flights on a whim. By the time I arrived in Dubai, my original 2 hour connection time had become less than 40 minutes. Ground staff in Dubai did not offer any form of assistance in making my connecting flight. I made it to the departure gate 5 minutes before closing time only to be told I had been offloaded from the plane. At no stage was I notified that I would be bumped from my connecting flight because of shorter than “minimum connection time” thanks to Emirates’ brilliant incompetence in punctuality. After some argument with the ground staff at the gate, I managed to get onto the flight with the supervisor granting me an act of grace, when it’s Emirates which had sinned. But his grace did not extend to my checked in baggage however, which will only arrive with the next flight. Arrangement to make delivery of my delayed baggage was made immediately after clearing immigration on arrival in Rome FCO airport Friday at 6.40pm, when I was assured my luggage would arrive following day. I even received an email saying my bag will arrive in Rome at about 12.40pm on Saturday. Little did I know I would be slapped in my face with Emirates’ commitment to punctuality again. When I haven’t received my bag at 5pm, I rang the baggage office, and was advised it had just cleared customs and would be delivered in the evening. 6 hours later I was still waiting, and followed up with another less than pleasant phone call. Upon which, the only solution they could offer is the contact number of the local baggage delivery agent. No, of course their gilded fingers can’t possibly dial the number to follow up on a customer’s delayed baggage. I finally received my bag on Sunday at 12.15am. Hooray for a change of clothes finally. No one from Emirates throughout this ordeal acknowledged their fault nor offered compensation for me to get a change of clothes and toiletries. Hello Tomorrow? More like Hello Never.
RouteSingapore to Rome via Dubai