Emirates

"came as a complete shocker"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Nairobi. Emirates has been my preferred flying choice for both work and personal even including my family as well. To be treated like the way I was came as a complete shocker since never ever been treated like this prior to this unworthy experience. I had arrived from my flight from Taipei (Flight EK367) and was connecting Nairobi via this flight. I had 4 hours and proceeded to shop at Duty free as mentioned above has been my trend. I had checked in one luggage of 23KG in Taipei.I shopped for Chocolates. Upon heading to the boarding gate, I was stopped by an Emirates staff who demanded I weigh my luggage before boarding. I was irritated as I noticed other passengers boarding without being stopped to and they had more luggage. I assume this must be a routine check. My boarding luggage was 4KG excess. This was understandable considering the duty free items bought. I requested the lady to consider as I had only checked in one luggage and if need be, they check in my luggage. The lady suggested I speak to the gentleman. The gentleman would not hear of it! He was rude and started telling me if I want to complain, I can do that but I have to pay the excess! My luggage cannot be checked in! Since time was running out, I proceeded to pay for the excess luggage of 4KG. Upon waiting to issue my boarding pass, two gentlemen in front of me who were boarding had more luggage and the ladies (Different completely from the one who requested to check) told the gentlemen that they would check in their luggage without even checking how many luggage they originally had checked in! How unfair! When I started to complain, I was told time is running out and should proceed for the aircraft. The whole flight was a mess and I did not enjoy due to me being stressed out and worried about the funds I had paid whilst people in the aircraft had more luggage than me.Is this really fair? I do not mind paying for excess but a fair check has to be done across everyone boarding.
RouteDubai to Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"refuse any sort of refund"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Dubai. Emirates will make you pay for an exit row seat and refuse any sort of refund when they move you involuntarily at the last minute due to a broken seat. Unfortunately a very poor experience and I feel cheated out of the extra money i paid for exit row seats. I was told at the boarding gate as I was about to board that my 2 prepaid exit row seats ($360 paid extra on top of my normal ticket) has a broken entertainment unit. The boarding gate staff advised me that they can move me to a normal seat and refund me my $360. I was annoyed but confirmed with the staff member on the spot that he will ensure I get refunded. He assured me he will see to it and moved my allocated seats. 4 weeks has passed with no refund. I contacted Emirates via their website and explained my situation and they refuse to consider a refund - Basically I paid for a service that I did not receive on my booked flight. I will keep following up this matter with Emirates. They do not provide any contact details or means to contact them other than a very restrictive e-form on their website. Smart way to not have to deal with unhappy customers I would say.
RouteSydney to Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"shocking and horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Dubai, shocking and horrible experience flying with Emirates recently. Firstly tried to call them numerous times as just a day before my flight my Partner had a bad accident, where one person or another kept saying yes we will sort but never ever did. Again I had further issues at the airport. Firstly the link they sent me did not open nor did I get a reply from this email when flagged. Then when we got to the airport the lady who checked us in stated to go to the lounge for us to receive the Wheelchair - when we got there I was disgusted by the service where the lady stated we cannot help you with this and said she didn’t have a clue on this service, so My Partner was in even more pain and agony as he had to have this lengthy walk. He suffered a lot on the flight as no leg room seat was neither provided. This is not the service I expect from Emirates or any other airline and I am appalled.
AircraftEmirates
RouteGatwick to Dubai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"in a very old aircraft"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Gatwick via Dubai. Emirates market themselves as a premium airline and charge accordingly, the long haul from Sydney to Dubai was in a very old aircraft, the food on both legs no better than other airlines, staff and service the same. I have flown with Qantas and BA to London in premium economy for not much more money and much better food and comfort. The trip home will be interesting.
RouteSydney to Gatwick via Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"IFE monitor is not working"

Trip Verified | During my flight back home to Singapore from Dubai, I was given 41 A seat, so happy that it's located in exit area seat which means a nice leg room. After almost an hour of flying, I decided to watch using the IFE, known as ICE. I was shocked that my IFE monitor is not working plus my remote control. I even borrowed the control of my seat mate to call the attention of the flight stewardess. After few minutes of "checking", they finally give up. After almost an hour again, they offered me to transfer seat. Initially, I'm hesitant because I love my seat and its pretty quiet, but I realized that without entertainment for more than 7 hours of flight will kill me. Now, I find myself at 67G, which is also an "exit" seat. When I turned on the IFE, it's working, only to realized that I'm in the middle of the plane which means near the 4 engines which makes my flight uncomfortable. Lesson learned, buy a noise cancelling headphones.
RouteDubai to Singapore
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"crew that was attentive"

Trip Verified | Paris to Colombo via Dubai. On the way a seat that did not work completely, and more than average food on the way back. But a crew that was attentive. The lounge of Paris is very average, that of Colombo is zero, and that of Dubai gigantic, soulless but with a permanent service and very attentive. FR: A l’aller un siège qui ne fonctionnait pas totalement, et un nouriture plus que moyenne à l’aller comme au retour. Mais un équipage toujours attentionné. Le lounge de paris est très très moyen celui de Colombo est nul et celui de Dubaï gigantesque, sans âme mais avec un service permanent et très attentionné.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteParis to Colombo via Dubai

"professional and efficient"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Christchurch return. Great service both at the airport and on board. The in-flight meal was very tasty and in generous quantity. Check-in staff at both Sydney and Christchurch airports were courteous, friendly, and helpful. Flight attendants were professional and efficient. I was impressed by their no-frill but pragmatic approach to customer service. Would definitely fly with them in the future.
RouteSydney to Christchurch

"everything went wrong"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Cebu to Copenhagen via Dubai. Not an airline that cares about there customers. Almost everything went wrong, and Emirates do not care! As we take off from Clark to Dubai I got About 1 litre of water in my lap, so that I had to sit with wet pants most of the way, and on top of that, the entertainment system was defective. They did not have any food for my 16-month-old son, they would have had if he was on the bottle, but he is on solid food so my wife shared her food whit him, or what she got, for the only thing that they got was half a kids meal. So we had to buy some food when we got to Dubai. On the way back the boarding was a complete chaos we were but in a bus for 40 min. waiting or going around in circles, without any information, before we got to the plane, and there it looked like the one that had to be in front in the plane was dropped on in the back, and the other way around.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A380
RouteCebu to Copenhagen via Dubai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"have 19kg excess baggage"

(Oman)

Trip Verified | Muscat to Guangzhou via Dubai. Everything was good in the inbound flight and there was no issue. On the other hand, my outbound flight had many issues. First of all, the agents who handled the check in were not polite and knowledgeable of English so that they can understand passengers and passengers can understand them. I had an agent who told me that I have 19kg excess baggage while I was sure that I have checked the baggage three times in my hotel and they were with in the limit. I asked the agent to double check and put them on the scale again individually since he was putting them all together and hand calculating the total weight. The agent refused to do so and refused to ask for his supervisor to come and kept saying "It is Dubai, Check with Dubai" He was about to return all the bags to me until I make the payment, I told him Ok check the bags and finish the check in so that my family and I will go and do the payment. He said "first make payment and then will check the bags"! He kept my family standing there with my children and I went to do the payment. When I asked the other agent also to go and check or ask that guy in the counter to check she refused and said the same "check with Dubai". I paid the $570 for 19kg which I really think it is ridiculously insane charge for 19kg. In front of the gate, several agents were collecting the carry on bags to check them in for free and they did check all my carry on bags that weighs more than 20kg. Then they asked to take my cabin friendly baby stroller to check in because they where not aware of this type of strollers, although I informed them about it and showed them how it folds but they did not listen and they were unaware of this type of stroller. I purchased this type so that baggage handling dont break my stroller. They lost one of my baggage and I could not get it before the Eid. Even some cheap airlines gives food that is better than the food served in Emirates airlines and they served the same food in both flights although they were in different times. The seat size is ok but the quality of the touch screen can be improved.
RouteMuscat to Guangzhou via Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Duty free weighed 7 Kg more"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Beirut to Manila via Dubai. I booked my exit seat ahead of time and paid an additional charge of $150USD per way for the seat only to find out that the seat closest to the exit door not only had no window and felt very claustrophobic, but the seat itself was smaller and tighter then all the other seats. On top of all this the seat itself was defective as it would not recline and stay reclined. When I told the pursuer of this issue he said he will refund my money and file a complain but i neither received any refund nor did he show me any filling of any formal complaint. Actually i never saw him again throughout the whole 9 hour flight. At the Duty free airport in Beirut I had purchased some food stuff and other items to hand carry to dubai. When i was boarding the flight from Dubai to the Manila a man stopped me and asked me to weight my hand carry, he said that the hand carry was acceptable since I already brought it from Lebanon but my Duty free items which weighed 7 Kg more was to be charged an additional $35 USD per kilo totalling $245 addition charge. No one said that if you buy anything from Duty free you will be charged for additional weight.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER