El Al Israel Airlines

"lack of information"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Luton. The crew were not informative in the slightest. My flight was delayed an hour which is an inconvenience but not their fault. The reason I was annoyed is due to the lack of information and updates we (the passengers) received. No one told us that we were delayed, why we were delayed, there was no approximation of when we were going to take off and additionally I even asked a member of staff why we were delayed and that person response was that she didn’t know and will ask. She never got back to me. The next Inconvenience was the temperature of the airplane. As a passenger you had no control of the air con above you. They’re constantly blasting cold air on you the entire flight (which isn’t ideal when you have a sore throat). Again I asked why the air con has to be so high as I felt that it was unhealthy. A crew member said they would ask and get back to me and they never got back to me. Finally, while a stewardess was bringing round a trolley of soft drinks, I asked if there’s any tea available (as the air con was affecting my sore throat). She said that she’d come back and bring me some once she’d finished serving everyone. As you’d expect, no tea was brought to me. Thankfully soon after the flight landed, clapping ensued by I did not participate due to the poor quality in service throughout the flight. Ultimately I wouldn’t recommend flying with with El Al and will not be flying with them myself. Which is a shame as I want to support Israli companies but I just can’t overlook their incompetence. Other minor inconveniences which may be exclusive to my flight/plane: -No phone charger socket -They removed the wifi bundles which they had on my previous flight a few weeks ago. Furthermore,In order to access their entertainment system you need to have already downloaded their app (so they can use and sell your data for money). The main inconvenience with this was that I wasn’t informed about the app prior to my flight. I hope they take my feedback and criticism seriously and make the necessary changes to the training of their staff as well as their planes.
RouteTel Aviv to Luton
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Service was very good and professional"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | 2x3x2 configuration in the 777. Overall the aircraft looks ok, not the newest in the industry but OK. Entertainment system is a bit old but ok. Full flat bed but not the newest version and without privacy or cabin as we used to see in newest business class in the industry. Service was very good and professional. 2 meals served. 1 after take off - hot meal and breakfast before landing in Tel Aviv. Didn't try dinner but breakfast was good and above avg. I saw on the El Al web site they will change the aircraft soon to new 787-900 and this is a good news.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteMiami to Tel Aviv BGN

"Worst flight ever"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Prague to Tel Aviv. Horrible service. Provided them wil all the security details needed including: place of work, cards, IDs, certifications and they still had us investigated as if we were terrorists. They came back with new questions all the time and still after all questioning was done we had to wait and wait for too long. Our bags were opened and our dirty clothes and shoes were put took out of their bags and put on the clean ones. Worst flight ever. A nightmare!
RoutePrague to Tel Aviv
Date FlownAugust 2018

"experience on the 787 was great"

Not Verified | Newark to Tel Aviv in June 2018 and return in August 2018 on the Boeing 787. Check-in at EWR was smooth after the compulsory security interrogation (I strongly recommended one arrives 3+ hours if flying El Al in order to complete the check-in process). My interrogation lasted 10 minutes and it helped I was traveling with a group to Israel. Everything on the plane both ways looked brand new and the IFE was fantastic and state-of-the-art. Flight attendants were friendly and attentive and responded quickly to call button requests. Food (two meals) on both flights were edible and alright (chose the chicken dish on both legs and it was alright). Dairy/"breakfast" meal was a choice of blintzes or an omelet on both flights as well. Chose the blintzes both times - they were nothing special but I was full from the previous meal. Check-in at Tel Aviv once past the initial security interrogation was fairly quick. My seat was assigned at the gate although they termed it as "standby," which makes me wonder if they didn't expect me to be on the plane due to extra security searches of my bags? I can only guess that. At the TLV gate, approached the desk to get a seat assignment as the flight was boarding. The first lady I approached hardly looked at the computer and my ticket and said: "it wasn't ready." I waited 15 minutes and without any announcement coming about "standby" passengers, I approached a different gate agent who promptly assigned me a seat. They could not fulfill my request for an aisle seat but the gate agent was gracious with his apology. On the return flight, I was seated next to an unaccompanied minor and the flight attendant was very attentive toward him, asking how he was and if he needed anything during the flight. El Al does have online check-in but it's useless if you are checking bags or have to go through extra security procedures. Overall, however the experience on the 787 was great and I did not mind the extra security situations that come with flying El Al. That said, I'm not sure if I'd want to fly on them on some of the older aircraft.
RouteNewark to Tel Aviv
Date FlownAugust 2018

"treats passengers like terrorists"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Vienna. The worst airline in the world; It is one thing to take security seriously, but to refuse to answer simple and righteous questions to why I am receiving an extra security check, violates my rights as a passenger and only suggests that staff, working for this airline, act extremely unprofessional and treat their passengers with absolutely zero human decency and respect. A passenger like myself, who has no history whatsoever, which could suggest a potential threat, deserves to be heard out, especially when the two companions, one of whom is my boyfriend, did not receive any kind of extra security checks. This airline treats their passengers like terrorists, without having any hint or evidence of any wrongdoing or criminal history. If you can avoid traveling with this airline, I would highly suggest you do so. This airline calls themselves safe and professional, but none of these values are taken into consideration.
RouteTel Aviv to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2018

"business class is not up-to-date"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to London. Wide body aircraft for 5hr flight. Business class with flat seat configuration 2x3x2. The business class is not up-to-date and entertainment is old. no real privacy but overall ok. Service and air crew very very good, professional and high standards . Overall ElAl business class deserve a high rank.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteTel Aviv to London
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Service was very good"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Luton to Tel Aviv. Full business service in 2x2x2 configuration with full flat bed. The 767 is not young but overall kept clean and in high standard maintenance. Entertainment is very old but the team offer Ipad. Service was very good, and the ElAl business team found to be professional nice and welcoming.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteLuton to Tel Aviv
Date FlownJuly 2018

"direct from Los Angeles"

Trip Verified | El Al is the only airline that flies direct from Los Angeles to Tel Aviv. This is the only reason i fly with them since their equipment was old and broken. We fly business and we never got a comfortable seat (none is 180 degree flat), they are very old and do not work properly. The crew admits to these issues but nothing is done. We took many flights with El Al in the past, but no more. We will wait for the competition to bring the newer A/C (787?!) and lower the outrageous price that El Al charges when there is no competition.
RouteLos Angeles to Tel Aviv
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Professional, nice, calm, quick"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Flew El Al Israel Airlines from Milan, Italy to Tel Aviv. Old aircraft but good maintenance. Full business class with flat bad for 4H flight, excellent food and the best cabin crew I have met in the last 10 years. Professional, nice, calm, quick – best in class. Overall super nice flight thanks to the air crew.
RouteMilan, Italy to Tel Aviv
Date FlownMarch 2018

"your act together and be competitive"

Trip Verified | I am a frequent flyer, I travel about 40 weeks a year. Using many companies from Virgin Atlantic to BA to others, London is a major hub after all. It's been many years since I've taken a flight with El Al. See I am originally Israeli and take pride in all things from Israel, but this one even my best selling skills cannot spinoff. El Al is charging 900 pounds for a flight from Johannesburg to Tel Aviv (I do LND to JNB every two weeks) which is 9 hours duration, they use a plane from the 80s that is so dated in its seats, décor and electrical (no USB ports or electric plugs) and no entertainment device for an 9 hours flight (thanks for helping me to focus on my work more). If I've had any other direct flight I would simply not choose to fly El Al. In short I'd say get your act together and be competitive, if more companies would fly to TLV you would simply go out of business.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy