El Al Israel Airlines

Review by (United States)

When I checked in for the flight, it was not such a bad experience. However, when I boarded I was greeted with a frown and cabin crew did not greet us in any way. The seats were dirty, uncomfortable and legroom was tight. I was not looking forward to this long haul flight. After take off, we were served meals. The cabin crew did not have any interaction with me other then asking my choice of meal. I smiled and said a hello expecting one to come back but to no avail. The meal was tasteless and not appetizing. IFE was also not up to expectations.
RouteNew York to Tel Aviv

Review by (United States)

At Munich airport, El Al has its own terminal with its own security guards surveying the check-in. You must show your ticket to get inside, and once inside, they interrogate you as though they were police. After scanning my carry-on and frisking me, my bag had to be personally inspected by a security guard. I was isolated in a separate room while they did it. They finally let me go after 20 minutes, when I was given my boarding pass to board the plane. They bussed us for about 15 minutes to an isolated stand, and we boarded through a small building that had an escalator up to the plane. Once aboard, the staff were very nice. I thankfully had an aisle seat, which was comfortable with good padding. The food was good, and I liked the video selections. I would consider flying El Al again.
RouteMUC to TLV

Review by (Israel)

Tel Aviv to Amsterdam - I liked everything. The seats are comfortable, the food was tasty and the staff were always available for requests. Entertainment also offered a good selection. I would recommend El Al.
AircraftB747-400
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteTel Aviv to Amsterdam

Review by (Israel)

Flight was half-full. I had the whole row to myself. The flight took of on time and one hour later the service started. I could choose 2 drinks. The meals service had two choices: 1) meat ball with couscous, salad and chocolate cake. 2) tuna salad, some fruits and a honey cake. After the meal service the lights inside the cabin were turned off. Every hour one of the cabin crew members came around with water. During the whole flight there was juice available in the rear galley. Two hours before landing the cabin crew gave us a second meal. Omelette, bun, butter, salad and lemon cake (that was very good). We landed on time.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteTLV to JFK

Review by (India)

Very uncomfortable journey. Seats not good. Common inflight entertainment. Had ordered for Asian Vegetarian food but got a salad.
RouteTel Aviv to Mumbai

Review by (United States)

Mediocre and lackluster service. Impersonal staff, but not impolite. My friend had indicated vegan on both routes. (JFK to TLV and vice versa) and they had not even registered the option. Inflight entertainment is almost non existent. They play the movies for you and you don't control anything. Seat back screen size resembles a nintendo screen. Flying out of JFK, we were subjected to major harassment in the name of security. Our carry on's were kept at the gate and given to us and personally escorted to the plane. Obviously this is after going through and checking the entire contents of the bag. This is my 3rd time flying to Israel, but first on El Al. Never encountered anything remotely like this before.
AircraftB747-400
RouteTLV to JFK

Review by (United States)

Nothing was horrible, just mediocre. The cabin, seats, entertainment system, all seemed to be very old and updated. The carpet was worn and dirty, the seats uncomfortable and not able to lay flat. But beyond the second rate cabin facilities was the very second rate service. Nobody was impolite, it was more like they just weren't focused on the passengers. Every flight I took on this vacation (there were 4 legs) was significantly late taking off but the passengers were either left in the dark about the cause of the delay or we were given some implausible explanation (ATC issues that involved no weather or unusual traffic). I suspect that the real issue is that El Al is so focused on security, and spends so much money on it, that they just don't have resources left to deal with the finer points of running a decent airline.
Aircraft747 400
RouteJFK to TEL

Review by (Israel)

TLV-OTP-TLV. Outbound Boeing 737-900ER, brand new aircraft with sky interior and slim new seats. Very good entertainment, overhead LCD with TV shows. Food very good some chicken tapas, tahini hummus, pita salad and chocolate mousse. Crew young, smiling and friendly. Got delayed for 2 hours because of some closed routes but kept informing us so no problem. Boarding done quickly and right after takeoff so no waiting on aircraft. Inbound Boeing 737-800. Left before time and upgraded to preferred seat for $50, great seat near window emergency exit with a lot of space, also middle seat empty so felt like European business on other airlines. Again overhead entertainment on LCD screen. Didn't eat but choice was tapas - either tuna or chicken. Given 2 cans of cola and fanta. Crew friendly and young purser was very funny. Captains update on route weather and procedures very nice. Will fly again, definitely improved and with new aircraft cheaper and better than competitors.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteTLV-OTP-TLV

Review by (France)

Such relief to get on an EL AL flight after other planes. Swiss and El Al are up there then Lufthansa then the rest. You feel like you're finally taken care of. Good well maintained planes responsible professional flight attendants normal seats (better on Swiss but the El Al entertainment was much better). Very good food the attendant offered a second "leftover" plateau when my colleague said he was still hungry. They get the job done professionally and with care. All in all great experience.
Seat Comfort N/A