Airline of the Year

El Al Israel Airlines

"I won't be flying El Al again"

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Luton. Pretty appalling everything! Staff were unfriendly and uncommunicative. Our flight was very bumpy and the captain kept putting on the seat belt sign - but not once did cabin crew come round to see if we had complied. And nor did they come round with water during the flight. Very poor! The flight was 30 mins late departing, with no explanation or apology. But at least it was bettter than the outbound flight which was 50 minutes late departing - again with no explanation. Food was bland and unappetising - very poor. Movies were acccesed on this aircraft on your own tablet (note - you have to download the El Al Dreamstream app before you fly) - but the movies were mainly pretty old. I won't be flying El Al again.
RouteTel Aviv to Luton
Date FlownJune 2017

"I will never fly El Al again"

Verified Review | I flew the same airplane both directions to Tel Aviv and return to Los Angeles. I recommend this flight. It is better than having a layover. My trip to Tel Aviv almost made me change my opinion which had previously been based on several previous horrible experiences on El Al. Trying to reach El Al by phone or even email is terribly difficult! I was trying to get signed up for Frequent flyer miles before the flight (the website didn't work) and I could reach no one. So back to the flight - the flight over was pretty good. The seat was the most comfortable I had ever had on El Al. The flight back, I paid an extra $150 for a seat with more leg room and more angle on the leaning back of the seat. The lady in front of me truly had more leg room and truly had more leaning back on her seat. In fact, hers worked so well, her seat back was pressed against my knees the whole flight and the lady also didn't want anyone touching her seat and let me know about it. Anyway, I paid extra for a better seat and it was less comfortable than the seat I was in going over that was just a normal seat. The movie, game, and watch where you are in the flight thing was out of order for the whole plane! There's more to the story, but this is enough. I can't get in touch with Customer Service. They asked for my opinion in a survey and I gave it, they did not respond to the reply that reported my dissatisfaction with the flight. It was a long 14 hour flight! And that woman kept her seat back until we landed! I can say the staff in the airports has improved their performance. I have been flying to Israel regularly for 27 years. The staff courtesy in the air has also greatly improved. The cleanliness of the bathrooms is remarkable, as they used to be filthy. I have said it before but really, I will never fly El Al again. You would think a country as technologically advanced as Israel could come up with some good customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Tel Aviv
Date FlownMarch 2017

"One of the worst airlines"

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Hong Kong. One of the worst airlines I've flown. Staff is rude, not helpful and unapologetic. Interior of the plane looked old, dirty and broken in some places. Entertainment system stuck in the '90s. Our whole row's entertainment system was broken, after 2 hours of flying and numerous attempts to notify staff (looked like I had to apologise for bothering them) we were given 3 ipads for 5 people. No sorry or apology - nothing. Anyone should be crazy to fly a second time with them, or a first. Do yourself a favour and choose a different airline.
RouteTel Aviv to Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2017

"made me feel very welcome onboard"

(Luxembourg)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Zurich. The check-in was very pleasant. The lady took great lengths to tell me I did not need to check-in my bag and could take it on board. I proceeded through the rigorous Ben Gurion Security control. I expected extra special security for EL AL but it was the same as for other airlines. The seat pitch was comfortable and better than Swiss. There was no in seat entertainment. Breakfast was served with a choice. I chose the omelette that was delicious. The flight arrived on time. I hope to fly EL AL again in the future, I felt EL AL made me feel very welcome onboard.
RouteTel Avivi to Zurich
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"doubt we will fly El Al again"

(Israel)

Verified Review | In October I arranged a trip with El Al from Tel Aviv to Los Angeles for myself, my wife and my daughter (seven years old). I was to fly to LA at the beginning of November. My wife was to fly out on Thanksgiving with my daughter. My wife was then to return to Tel Aviv a week later, and I was to return to Tel Aviv at the end of December with my daughter. I had no complaints about my flight to LA in November, aside from the '90s vintage entertainment system with several channels of movies on loops. The plane was comfortable enough and clean, with relatively good food and no trouble with the service. Then, due to an internal dispute, El Al arbitrarily canceled the flight my wife and daughter were to take to Los Angeles, providing no solution whatsoever and destroying our plan. We were notified of the cancellation a few hours before the flight, when they were already packed and ready to leave, leaving little time to make other arrangements. We were on the phone for hours trying to reach El Al, but nobody answered. My wife and daughter were crushed and upset. To salvage the rest of the trip, I had to scramble to book alternate flights with United and had to spend several thousand dollars on alternate flights—way beyond the cost of the original flights. I had to rebook my own return flight with United instead of El Al because my daughter obviously can't fly alone. There was no other option but to cancel the trip and return home. El Al was nowhere to be found throughout this traumatic experience. It wasn't until several weeks later that we received a refund for my wife's and daughter's flights. El Al refused to offer any compensation of any kind for the trouble or distress caused, or the additional cost incurred. After a month and a half of wrangling with El Al's customer service, the only compensation offered was a partial credit for the return flight I could not use, which could only be used for a single ticket with El Al. El Al's management and personnel are apparently highly irresponsible and incompetent, putting their own internal disputes above customer service. I highly doubt we will ever fly with El Al again. **ASK TICKWT
RouteTLV to LAX
Date FlownNovember 2016

"cabin crew was friendly"

Verified Review | Zürich to Tel Aviv with El Al. I read lots of bad reviews about this airlines, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by my flight. Staff in Zurich were really friendly, soufganyiots (donuts) were served to passengers in the boarding area, cabin crew was friendly, and food more than edible.
RouteZRH to TLV
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"last time for me with El Al"

(Israel)

Verified Review | I took yesterday a flight from Tel Aviv to Hong Kong with El Al. The economy cabin seats are smaller than regular Economy on other airlines. The flight was late and no one appeared to care! The inflight entertainment system is terrible and from the 90s! My ticket cost:$2600, and this will be the last time for me with El Al.
RouteTLV to HKG
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"ultimate low for service standards"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Brussels. As a frequent flyer of El Al, I've learned to deal with the sometimes outdated plane interior, long waiting lines at Ben Gurion Airport (both for check-in and security), delays and the absence of a proper inflight entertainment system on European flights. However on our last two flights with El Al, the cabin crew managed to reach an ultimate low for service standards. The night (early morning) flight from Tel Aviv to Brussels was packed with screaming kids and (praying) men, who hijacked the plane to turn it into one big playground. For 5 (early morning) hours we had to suffer from the constant aisle traffic, loud screaming and ultra-orthodox men and kids bumping into other passengers. Although El Al can't be blamed for screaming kids and annoying passengers, they should be able to cope with it. Unfortunately the crew decided not to act upon our (and others) requests to stop the mayhem. Even more so, the El Al crew encouraged the behaviour by announcing that everyone should get their drinks at the back of the plane, dramatically increasing the amount of aisle traffic and people bumping into us. For the rest of the flight the cabin crew did not visit passengers or provide any services to them. If you needed something you were to get it yourself from the back of the plane. Our flight back to Tel Aviv was much better, albeit that the flight attendants were particularly unfriendly and unorganized. When handing out meals, several rows were 'missed' and did not receive a meal. Apparently something went wrong with some of the meals. In the end we did not receive a meal. After notifying the crew, we got an unfriendly "there isn't any left". No alternatives were offered. Upon return home we filed a complaint with El Al as an opportunity to take away the bad feeling we were left with after the 2 dreadful flights and numerous service failures. Unfortunately El Al's customer service did not have the courtesy to contact us, despite several follow ups. It has now been over 5 weeks and I doubt we will ever hear from them. I do however know that we will not use El Al again. A company treating its customers in such an arrogant way is not worth my money.
RouteTLV to BRU
Date FlownOctober 2016

"questions are asked very unprofessionally"

Verified Review | Took this flight to go from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv in November 2016. Check in was efficient although the usual high security procedures. Check in staff very unfriendly. Seats were comfortable, food was good. The only thing that was really unpleasant was the mood and the friendliness of the cabin crew. No smile on their faces and questions are asked very unprofessionally. Instead of asking if I ordered a special meal they just said "what's your name, what's your name, your name". They obviously don't enjoy their work. Next this I will go with Lufthansa for a lot less money.
RouteFRA to TLV
Date FlownNovember 2016

"horrible experience"

Verified Review | Toronto to Tel Aviv with El Al Israel Airlines. Horrible experience. Booked a baby crib, triple checked crib was available for us and was assured it is. Got on the flight and the crib is taken "Because the plane got changed". Had a 6 month old baby on my lap for over 11 hours. Also, when I book an El-Al flight I expect to fly with El-Al plane and crew, and not some chartered falling apart plane. In 2016, inflight entertainment should be the norm, especially when EL-AL advertises it. Spanish crew were nice and food is decent.
RouteYYZ to TLV