El Al Israel Airlines

"if possible, never again"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Tel Aviv. My 2nd consecutive flight with EL AL, if possible, never again. EL AL 'Lost & Found' at Ben Gurion airport is ONLY interested in getting the customers out of the way as quickly as possible; that was my experience both times. They don't listen to the customer's requests or details. This 2nd time I didn't even get a toothbrush. I had to explain that my luggage would arrive on the next flight (see explanation further below), I told the assistant 3 times and only then did she bother to check her system. 1st flight to Israel with EL AL: I explained my travel schedule but they took the luggage to my 2nd address, therefore I didn't see it for 3 days until I arrived. They told me they would call beforehand, they never did. When I called them the day after my arrival, they said it was already with a driver who was already in the North. 2nd flight to Israel with EL AL: Whilst flying, the stewardess told me beforehand that my luggage would arrive with the following flight (I was 1 of the first people to check in!). I was requested to go straight to Lost & Found after clearing customs. This time I only gave them the address in Tel Mond where I would be staying first. I told the assistant at Lost & Found where I would be staying AND I showed her the exact address on my phone (it was typed). The following day I called Lost & Found. The girl on the phone was in a hurry and she said that the driver would call me. I had to tell her 3 times to slow down and please listen. I wanted to double-check the delivery address, then she insisted that I was staying in Tel Aviv and not Tel Mond. I had to convince her that was not true. She then gave me the courier's telephone number upon my request and just before she hung up, I double-checked the address again. Only then did she notice that she gave me a number for the Tel Aviv courier. I was put on hold twice, then I got a different number; unfortunately, that courier told me he wasn't working. I called Lost & Found again to explain; a different girl (this time) also insisted that my address was in Tel Aviv. The previous customer assistant didn't change the information in the EL AL system. She connected me to the previous assistant, again I was put on hold, then I got the correct number. Regarding luggage: if you don't pro-actively chase up EL AL, then things will almost certainly go wrong.
RouteAmsterdam to Tel Aviv
Date FlownNovember 2017

"keeps real business class"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Milan. El Al's Boeing 737-900ER are the most modern model before the 737MAX that are now being delivered to airlines (not to ELAL yet). Not too much to expect from 737 offer and narrow body type but EL Al keeps real business class with nice service for pan European flights. The seat configuration is 2x2 and the service is good.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteTel Aviv to Milan
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Seats were tightly spaced"

Verified Review | Flight from New York JFK to Tel Aviv was on an aged 747 configured for medium haul, not a 8 hr trip. Seats were tightly spaced with seats that didn’t recline well. Inflight entertainment was like flying 15 yrs ago. Certain channels played specific movies, no individual choices. Avoid flying with El Al if the route uses 747s. Friends flew with El Al but from Newark to Tel Aviv. Completely different experience as they flew on a brand new 787.
RouteJFK New York to Tel Aviv

"lousy ground service"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Lucky the travel agent kept seats for us in advance because the online check-in is really not good on El Al. They don't even give you the choice to pay for a better seat or to upgrade with an additional cost. Lucky we have Israeli passports, so the security check in Luton was fine. Non-Israeli passport holders are subject to harsh security questioning. There was a delay in boarding – more than an hour. The monitors at the terminal kept showing that everything is on time – bad joke. We were sitting at the gate, I was looking for an electricity point to charge my phone, so asked the guy at the gate (not an El Al worker) if I can use the electricity point. He said "sure, it's just another ten minutes till they finish cleaning the plane". So I understood that the ground service company working for El Al at Luton, isn't really a good one. Makes sense, as Luton is a low-cost airport and El Al operates a regular full service commercial flight, bit of a clash between the two. After boarding, the captain announced that due to bad weather the flight was delayed. Really? It was hardly raining all that time. What bad weather was there? Took off 70 minutes late. Upon arrival at Tel Aviv, about 50% of the passengers did not receive their luggage. Yes, approx. 50% of the passengers on the flight. We were told that due to bad weather the luggage could not be loaded on the plane. Again, really? Come on, flights take off when snowing. A few drops of regular, normal English rain can't to that bad to a flight procedure. Just admit that you have a lousy ground service company and that you don't really care about your clients! Friday morning the lost luggage claim was opened. Till now, Saturday night, almost 48 hours later, the tracking website shows "still tracing luggage", the El Al representatives on the phones tell you a different story each time you call. To conclude – last time I flew with El Al was 5 years ago. Now I know why. There are better options at better prices and at better service.
AircraftBoeing 737-800/900
RouteLuton to Tel Aviv
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Could not have asked for more"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Luton to Tel Aviv will count among my top 3 First Class trips. Everything was provided. Courtesy car arrived at the promised time, met at airport by a porter who took me and my luggage to El Al Security and Check in, then he took me and my cabin baggage to Priority security. The lounge was quiet and ample Kosher Food was available. Priority boarding to plane, small but perfect First Class cabin, wonderful service from the Cabin Crew. Was loaned Bose earphones to listen to inflight music. Fresh and ample breakfast served on china with proper cutlery. Seat reclined to flat bed. Met at door of plane and escorted through Immigration and Customs, taken to courtesy car and driven home. Could not have asked for more.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLuton to Tel Aviv
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Overall, it is a smooth flight"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Check each passenger thoroughly before check-in. From Hong Kong to Tel Aviv took around eleven and a half hours. Flight attendants are very nice to satisfy passenger's request. Moreover, the Kosher meal taste is beyond my expectation and it is very delicious. Overall, it is a smooth flight. I'll definitely travel with El Al if I have a chance to go to Israel again!
RouteHong Kong to Tel Aviv
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"business class seats are 2x2 manual"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Milan. The Boeing 737-800 is the oldest version as El Al is replacing it with the 900ER The business class seats are 2x2 manual and faraway from a bed position. Anyhow this is a very good service within Europe. Watch out for row 10 (the first) as the leg room is not good due to the galley wall.
RouteTel Aviv to Milan
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I was happy to find the 767"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Milan to Tel Aviv. I was happy to find the 767 in the route usually El Al used the 737-800. The 767 is old but it is clean and have the entertainment system called dream stream - you need to download the APP before the flight or you will get an IPad in business class with the app already there. Seats are 2x2x2 with the old version as it used to be standard in the industry 5-8 years ago. Service was super, great crew with professional pursuer, dinner was great - salad, main course, and deserts. Overall one of the best flight I had in the last year.
RouteMilan to Tel Aviv
Date FlownOctober 2017

"El Al do not take care of business class passengers"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Flew Venice to Tel Aviv. Boarding was on time from gate 19. Upon arrival the air crew welcome was very nice. El Al offer real business class with 2x2 configuration, full business service and meals. The 737-800 is the old version of the El Al short - Mid distance aircrafts. Most of the 737 they have are 900ER, the 800 is mostly for the low cost "UP" airline by El Al. Well, looking at the 737-800, the aircraft was old and needs proper refurbishment. Seats are very tough and hard and upper sides of the seat have seen better days. No WIFI and no proper entertainment system – headline group screens. Arrival to Tel Aviv the plane directed to out of the terminal parking and used the bus to the luggage and passport control, unfortunately El Al do not take care of business class passengers with dedicated van or transportation so the moment you leave the aircraft they treat you like an Economy class passenger.
RouteVenice to Tel Aviv
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"full business service"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Check in at Business class was fast and warm, than visiting the King David lounge that is ok, and even below average if you consider it ad the home lounge of El Al. Boarding was exactly on time with a warm welcome of the crew. El AL operate "real" business class in those single aisle aircraft meaning 2+2 and about 150* titled with full business service - separated from the economy with full service. Right after take off the team close the windows shade (we left 0530 AM) in order to give us a proper sleep. Breakfast was served about 1.5 h before arrive to Venice, I ordered fruit plate and it was good and fresh. The variety was good include melon, kiwi and pineapple.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER