Egyptair

"They wanted to see visas"

Trip Verified | Unprofessional customer service. It started in Johannesburg when the airline refused the boarding due to a 24 hour stopover in Cairo. They wanted to see visas for Cairo. Very arrogant and unprofessional Manager refused to even make effort to explain. When we notify customer service in Dubai of the situation, they referred us to send it in an email. After 7 times of trying to get hold of an agent, finally they told us there is nothing they can do to help. Every time we were put on hold and then suddenly they cut of the line while we are still on the line waiting. Finally we were told to write a complaint in an email and then it will be reviewed. We missed our flight at the end of the day and all they could say was write to us.
RouteJohannesburg to Dubai via Cairo
Date FlownJuly 2018

"had the seat next to me free"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | My return journey from Tokyo to Athens via Cairo, was much better than the one going out. Check in at Tokyo was very very slow as staff were extremely slow at checking in. Once past security, I used the United Airlines Lounge. Huge lounge, with comfortable seating, nice views, but limited food options (and pathetically small plates to serve yourself). The showers were very decent and well equipped. The main flight from Tokyo to Cairo was not bad at all. Again I had the seat next to me free which is always good. This time we got a basic (for business) amenity kit which is very important as the mask allows you to sleep much better. Seat comfort is ok, though very dated with angle flat seats but not too bad for the right price. Food this time was much better than the trip going out and the flight uneventfull. 6hrs wait in Cairo's terrible business lounge and off to the last leg of my journey. A short two hr flight. Service was ok seat comfort excellent (for a 737), but pretty sure I could smell the staff smoking which is unacceptable.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 777-300ER
RouteTokyo to Athens via Cairo
Date FlownJuly 2018

"poor business class product"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Thought I would give Egyptair a go on business class this time for a long trip between Athens to Tokyo via Cairo. Check in in Greece was fast and swift at the business class counter. The Skyserv lounge at Athens airport is nothing special but at least its very clean and food decent in contrast to the one in Cairo which is run down and dirty. First leg of the flight on a 1yo 737-800 with very comfortable wide seats ok service and not too bad food for a 2 hr flight. I had a 9hr layover in Cairo so didnt spend much time in the lounge there (thank god!) The second part of the journey was on Egyptair's 777-300 ER. Business class was half full so I had seat next to me free which is good as Egyptair's business class product is very dated without much privacy. Seats are comfortable to sit on though the angle lie flat isnt the best to sleep in, but it did the job ok. The dissapointing part of this journey is that the crew didnt give amenity kit whatsoever, so we had no mask earplugs or anything (which was a shock) they just closed the windows to keep the plane dark which didnt help when the lights came on in the cabin during second food service. Service on the flight was ok, though very basic for business class and the food on this leg really bad (it was much better coming back). All in all a pretty poor business class product throughout, but if the price is logical worth it to have space to sleep during long flights.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 777-300ER
RouteAthens to Tokyo via Cairo
Date FlownJune 2018

"generous baggage allowance"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Cairo to Copenhagen. Very old Boeing aircraft. Seats still have ashtrays and not all of them are in a good condition. Two entertainment options are provided: radio and overhead TV. Some flight information was wrong as it seems the company did not update the daylight saving times settings. An American movie was broadcast during the flight. Both the legroom and the meal were surprisingly good compared to other European airlines. The flight attendants are not very professional but this was balanced with their kindness. Cairo Airport was really crowded and had long queues on every occasion. The biggest pro with this flight was the generous baggage allowance (2x23kg) and good take off and landing times which are not overnight, very early in the day or very late compared to the other options.
AircraftB737-800
RouteCairo to Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2018

"issue with entertainment program"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Cairo. Counter Opened 2 hours before kicking off in one of the most crowded airports in the world (Istanbul). Many people were lined up and waiting so when counter opened there was a conflict which cause more latency. Plane had an issue with entertainment program.
RouteIstanbul to Cairo

"very pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Cairo to London. I haven't flown Egyptair in over 10 years and from all the online reviews I wasn't expecting much. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much the airline has improved. A very new aircraft, with excellent legroom in economy class compared to many other European airlines. Inflight entertainment was adequate for a 5 hour flight but not any longer. Food was excellent but it was the cabin crew that made the flight very pleasant; they couldn't do enough.
RouteCairo to London

"unprofessional and discriminatory"

(Tunisia)

Trip Verified | Cairo to Tunis. A disappointing Egyptair flight. During Ramadan only snacks are served during daytime hours, this is unprofessional and discriminatory for non-Muslim travellers. The crew tried to make it up by offering me 3 sandwiches but it was overall a negative experience.
RouteCairo to Tunis
Date FlownMay 2018

"Plane at least 30 years old"

(Tunisia)

Trip Verified | Flew Egyptair from Baghdad to Cairo. Plane at least 30 years old, Airbus 320. It still had ashtrays and the display called the Baghdad airport "Saddam International", the pre-2003 name. I suppose this plane had been used to fly the route in the 80s. Worst was that during Ramadan they kind of force passengers to fast by offering only sandwiches, the standard hot meal is only offered after fast breaking at sunset. It's ok for Muslim travellers but it shows they don't care about non-Muslim flyers. Luggage allowance was generous as the 23 kg rule per bag was not implemented. I checked in 27 kg but I wont be using them again during Ramadan.
RouteBaghdad to Cairo
Date FlownMay 2018

"Worst experience I've had"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Johannesburg via Cairo. Used Egyptian for a return trip. We choose the airline as it was cheaper. I guess you get what you pay. All 4 flights I took the cabin crew were not friendly at all and always being difficult. Some of them are so pulled up like it's an effort for them to do their job. Going from South Africa to Cairo I noticed a guy asking one of the airhostess for water, she was so rude and said can you be patient and let me do my job. I assumed something must have happened earlier hence she was being difficult. I experienced the same thing on my return trip it was a late flight and 4 year old wanted water as he has water before he sleeps. I asked one of the airhostess could I have a glass of water for my son. She walked up and down 3 or 4 times with newspapers and handing other people food and then bringing my special food yet again without water. It took her an hour to bring me a glass if water. This was really annoying especially for a 4 year old child to wait for water. Besides the service most of the seats were broken. My seat was always going back in the upright position on the return flight as well but after the water situation it was of no use complaining to the rude crew. Hopefully I don't have to fly again with them. Outbound flight from South Africa to cairo no entertainment as well. Worst experience I've had on a flight.
RouteIstanbul to Johannesburg via Cairo
Date FlownApril 2018

"impressed by the crew"

Trip Verified | I flew Egyptair on March 3rd, 2018 on the overnight flight from Heathrow to Cairo. The flight took off on time and landed in Cairo slightly ahead of schedule. As it was an over night flight there was not much in flight service, however overall I was impressed by the crew and their willingness to assist when called upon. The aircraft was new and clean.
AircraftBoeing 737 NG