Egyptair

Egyptair customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

We flew Egyptair with two 8 month old infants and a 10 year old child. I contacted Egyptair to reserve cots for my twin boys and the person I spoke to said it can't be booked over the phone, we need to make sure we there 5 hours before so we can check in first to get the cots. On the day of travel we got to Heathrow 5 hrs before departing and checked in first. I asked the man who checked us in if he booked us the cots and he said yes, it's all booked. When getting on the plane to Cairo he didn't book our cots and we were on normal seats where we had to keep our twins in our arms for whole flight. When arriving in Cairo we were looking for our pushchair, as they said we will get it when getting off the plane, and it wasn't there. So had to carry our twins around for our 2.5 hour transit. When asking ground staff where our Pram was, they were rude and said we don't have time to get our Pram. Finally when getting on our next plane to Johannesburg they gave us the right seats but only with 1 cot. They didn't even have baby seatbelts like other airlines. When arriving at Johannesburg, again our Pram wasn't there when we got off the plane. I will never fly with Egyptair again!
RouteLondon to Johannesburg via CAI

Review by (Turkey)

Airport experience was terrible. Hassled to make payment to someone who places your luggage on the security belt - this is prior to entering the check-in area. I refused to let him take my luggage and placed it on security belt myself. Check-in process was long, but staff were quite helpful in the business/gold class section. Finding the lounge was difficult but eventually found it - although the facilities are not to the standard in other airports. Aircraft was an ancient small 737-500 with very uncomfortable seats, and a very bad mannered crew. This aircraft was all white and had no Egyptair livery. The temperature in the cabin was very hot. Food was not nice and the cabin was dirty. Heavy delays coming into Istanbul due to air traffic. Will try to avoid this airline where possible.
RouteCairo to Istanbul Ataturk

Review by (Turkey)

Smooth check-in via airport self service kiosk. Boarding process delayed and chaotic. Passengers mostly unable to follow instructions and place bags in overhead lockers. Disinterested cabin staff during the flight. Cabin crew not enforcing any safety requirements especially when passengers are opening over head lockers while plane is taxiing. Plane was dirty with food remnants and stains on tray tables from previous flights.
RouteIstanbul to Cairo

Review by (Canada)

I flew Egyptair 5 years ago and was impressed. This time I was disappointed with the level of services on board, food, and the staff. Staff went through the plane before take off casually yelling: belts, belts, straighten your seats. English was not formally used assuming that most of us spoke Arabic as our first language, we actually had English only speaking travellers who were not impressed. After serving the first meal, the lights were turned off for 6 full hours. To make things worse, the seatbelt lights were constantly on even though we didn't have much turbulence. People were looking for drinks but staff were not to be found. I finally decided to get up and look for water and found 3 attendants sitting in the back, when I asked for water she pointed at the lights as if I'm to be blamed for getting up after 3 hours of waiting. Staff avoid eye contact to avoid requests.
RouteToronto to Cairo

Review by (Kenya)

My husband and I were travelling to Egypt for a long weekend break. On arriving Nairobi airport, there was a 30 minute delay on the flight (acceptable), so the flight was leaving at 8.30 instead of 8.00am. We boarded the flight and by 8.30 we were ready to take off. Then there was an announcement that there was a mechanical problem and will be sorted in 5 minutes, those 5 minutes turned into 2 hours and all passengers were getting apprehensive as the crew kept on saying 5 minutes and then we were told to disembark. So everyone got out of the plane and within literally 5 minutes we were all called back on, saying the flight is now ready. We all boarded and guess what sat in the flight again for two hours with the same 5 minute story. At 12.30pm we were told the flight is now cancelled and to disembark again and would be given more information outside. We waited for another 1 hour for our bags and the crew told us that they are trying to get another flight on the same day (Saturday) or we wait will Monday to fly out as they don't fly on sundays. Considering we were coming back on Tuesday that was a pointless option, we then spoke to the Egyptair Nairobi Airport Manager who said there was no way we would fly on the same day so we had to wait till Monday. His assistant told us that there was an Ethiopian airline flying in a couple of hours if we wanted to take that and then return with Egyptair on Tuesday as schedules. They agreed to the same and signed our ticket for a full/part refund. We even double checked with him if we flew with Ethiopian airline one way to Cairo would Egypt air refund our one way ticket - to which he said yes and even spoke to our travel agent on the phone. We then took the Ethiopian airlines (paid extra) and reached Cairo. Its an amazing city with amazing people. On the way back on Tuesday, Egyptair had cancelled our return so we had to get that sorted and after another 3 hour wait in the flight due to mechanical fault again the flight took off and got to Nairobi not forgetting we reached work late on Wednesday because of the flight delay. Back in Nairobi when our travel agent asked for the refund to get sorted from Egyptair, it took them a month to reply and they said they will not refund our one way ticket. This is the most ridiculous customer service we have ever received especially after all the inconveniences caused to us by Egyptair. Wasted 8 hours at the airport, had to take another flight and spend extra money and not one person from Egyptair apologized or even cared. A good number of us used Ethiopian airlines that Saturday as Egyptair promised a refund. It is the most horrible airline and I would not recommend anyone to travel with it.
RouteNairobi to Cairo

Review by (Canada)

Seat is comfortable and service was surprisingly good. Food was also good. Lack of good entertainment and poor pilot announcements is a disadvantage. Ground service in Cairo Airport was nothing memorable.
RouteYYZ to JED via CAI

Review by (Egypt)

I consistently use Egyptair to visit family in France and the UK. It is my favourite airline because of the comparatively low ticket prices ability to change route and dates on tickets on even the cheapest tickets (also refundable) booked directly with the airline and the 46kg baggage allowance where other airlines only permit 20kg. The CAI-CDG and CAI-LHR routes are mostly served by newer Airbus 330s which are vastly superior to the old Boeing 777s. Pay attention to the aircraft type which is displayed when booking on the Egyptair site. I would not travel on a 777 with a young baby for instance as there is nowhere to place the bassinet except on the floor by your feet and they do not allow you to bring a car seat. There are also no infant seat belts as they claim these are unsafe. The 330 in contrast is pretty comfortable with a wide choice of inflight entertainment and good leg room in the front row. Food is fine. Kids meals are larger than the adult meals and are usually pasta with tomato sauce plus grilled chicken breast. Adult meals are bread roll plus butter with a main meal of rice plus meat plus sauce. You have a choice of red meat chicken or fish. The dessert is usually inedible and 80s looking. Staff have always been polite and accommodating especially when I was flying alone with young children. It is certainly not a premium airline but if cost and flexibility matter to you then I would recommend them for shorter flights. Take care always to book directly with them though so tickets are refundable.

Egyptair customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

LHR-CAI-JNB and return. Both ways the aircraft to and from London to Cairo was much newer than that from Cairo to JNB and back to Cairo. When did they ban smoking on aircraft? The flights from Cairo to Joburg still had ashtrays in the seats and toilets! The food was awful the worst that I have ever had on a flight from England. The staff were efficient enough but smiles were few and far between. I am going back to Turkish.

Egyptair customer review

Review by (United States)

JFK (NY) to Jeddah via Cairo on May 26th. I travel every 6 weeks from New York to Saudi Arabia. This was my first and most definitely the last time on Egyptair. Unfortunately I have nothing positive to say about this airline. Business class seat was OK but the service and food was horrible. If you have flown with premium airlines like Qatar and Emirates then you are in for a shock. After getting on the plane no one acknowledged or welcomed me during the whole flight. After 20 minutes I was offered a hot "paper towel" followed by a choice of orange or guava juice. No one even said Hello to me during the whole flight. Food was served in a rush. Horrible dried out food. No snacks during the flight. Bags of nuts were distributed when plane was about to land at Cairo. Breakfast was worse than the dinner. IFE was not good at all with cheap head sets. Amenities bag was actually a zip lock bag. My completely unbiased advise - stay away from this airline.

Review by (Belgium)

Flew from Athens to Cairo and back. Aircraft I flew one of the very few Egyptair planes I have seen which still had the old paint scheme giving you some idea of the age of the plane. Inside aircraft upholstery did seem rather old and there were scratch marks on the wings and engines. No inflight entertainment system. Food was pretty good and cabin crew welcoming and pleasant. Boarding starts 1 hour before take off in most cases so hold this in mind when planning a journey. There was not much room in the seat and I felt cramped. When I transferred to another airline to catch my connection I appreciated just how cramped Egyptair was.