Edelweiss Air

"a terrible airline"

Trip Verified | Received an email at 3pm on day of travel to let us know that the Zurich-Cape Town leg of our flight had been moved from 10pm that evening to 8am the following morning. Annoying but compounded by fact that the Amsterdam to Zurich leg of our flight had also been cancelled and it was therefore impossible to get to Zurich in time to catch the delayed flight to Cape Town. Edelweiss offered no explanation, apology or assistance so had to rebook flights for my family and I, cancel and rebook hire car at extra cost and rebook accommodation as would now be arriving after midnight (meaning that we lost a day of our holiday as well). On our return I wrote to Edelweiss to request compensation only to be told that as they are a Swiss airline they do not need to do so and therefore would not - their reply as follows: "Edelweiss adheres to the legal texts of the prescribed ordinances and we therefore stick to our previous statement. The legal text of Regulation (EC) 261/2004 does not provide for compensation in the case of delayed flights. For final clarification, we refer to the judgment of the district court Bülach, 02.02.2016, which has become legally valid and published: No compensation payments are due for late flights to and from Switzerland." All-in-all a terrible experience with a terrible airline - customer service = zero. Avoid
RouteAmsterdam to Cape Town via Zurich
Date FlownApril 2018

"They give our seat away"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Cape Town. Me and my wife go on Edelweiss Air website to buy ticket as review was so good. When we book we see we can book our seats and it was still empty and was happy to get all the good seats for flight out and return. The day when we check in we can't and call the airline and they say we only have pay for our Economy Max seats and not for the ticket. How can it not included the flight? We need to fly and then we say ok we will pay for the flight and they say sorry its full. They give our seat away. That is so bad that we need to pay for another flight. So bad customer services and super bad website.
RouteZurich to Cape Town
Date FlownApril 2018

"break two checked in bags"

Not Verified | Edinburgh to Zurich.This airline managed to break two of my hard shell Samsonite bags! I have the best luggage Rimowa and Samsonite and this airline managed to break two checked in bags on two different flights! They have not been helpful in repairing the bags. They say I have to repair them and send them the bill but offer no place to do the repairs. They are not responding to emails and are extremely rude to deal with. My husband and I have not been able to get any response or help in repairing or replacing these bags and despite the fact that they are the only airline with direct flights from Zurich to Edinburgh we would never fly them again and would stick to British aAirways.
RouteEdinburgh to Zurich

"overall a good carrier"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | My wife and I travelled from Cape Town to Barcelona via Zurich in November 2017 with our 8 month old baby on Edelweiss / Swiss Air. My review is in connection with the long-haul flights between Cape Town and Zurich. Edelweiss is overall a good carrier. The aircraft was new, clean and engendered trust in the airline, however there are two points which the airline has to improve upon: Accommodating babies. On the Cape Town to Zurich leg, there was insufficient time to book a seat at the bulkhead with a Bassinet, however the Cape Town ground crew assisted us and upgraded us to 'Economy Max' which provided us with bulkhead seating and a bassinet for our baby to sleep in, which was appreciated and not expected. However upon our return trip, which ironically was when we had the foresight to try to book a bulkhead seat in normal economy, we found that in trying to book a bulkhead seat and a bassinet (both on the website and via email correspondence) ,the airline did not accommodate us. We even paid 58CHF to secure 2 seats, however there were no bulkhead seats available and NO provision for parents with babies who actually need those bulkhead seats due to the bassinet facilities. Upon arrival at both Barcelona and Zurich Airports - on return to Cape Town - the ground crew would not or could not help us. We therefore had to travel 12 hours with a baby on our lap between Zurich and Cape Town and noted that the bulkhead seats were not occupied by people with babies. A most uncomfortable arrangement, with airline crew not assisting in making it any more easy for us or offering more suitable seating with a bassinet. It is totally unacceptable that no provision is made for booking with infants on the website or via email. We did send an email about 3 days prior to our trip, but this was only answered upon retuning to Cape Town. Not acceptable. The boarding system is chaotic. Not only in Cape Town, but Barcelona and Zurich. Everyone rushes at the same time to board the aircraft upon announcement of boarding. Why does the airline not look at what Singapore Airlines or other airlines do in boarding in a systematic and orderly fashion - thereby reducing an anxious and chaotic boarding process. They are a Swiss Airline after all - one would expect it! Ironically, upon getting into the aircraft, the aircrew constantly harass passengers with an announcement basically saying that passengers much step aside and get in their seats as soon as possible to allow other passengers to board. Surely if they instituted an orderly boarding system, this would actually be far more efficient, and this announcement would be unnecessary?
RouteBarcelona to Cape Town via Zurich
Date FlownNovember 2017

"had a problem with our baggage"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Zurich to Mauritius. We had a problem with our baggage. They arrived three days late. we had to waste some hours of our holidays to shop the minimum we need. Now, it is more than one month that I'm claiming for the money we had to spend. They always have problems when receiving the mail or the attachment documents. I have travel a lot in my life. It is the first time that my luggage have been lost but you can be sure that I'm not going to travel with them again even if I have to pay more for a ticket.
RouteZurich to Mauritius
Date FlownOctober 2017

"stewardess lack of empathy"

(Nicaragua)

Verified Review | Paris CDG to San Jose via Zurich. Terrible experience, Its been 3 days and they have not responded to my emails about my missing luggage, the people at the airport said they never loaded the luggage on the plane in Paris and that I have to file a report with the airline, but the airline is not responding to any emails. I was surprised about how terrible the service was, even though I reserved seats for the first row because my wife and I traveled with our 19 month old on lap and I asked for a cradle, they assigned me on two middle seats with no aisles. When I asked the stewardess if she would help us she just said the flight was full and looked upset about the baby, I understand other passengers looking upset about a baby on a long flight, they are not supposed to provide any service to you but the stewardess lack of empathy with our situation was bothersome. When I asked if they had baby food like the one they gave us on the flight towards Paris she said that I had to have ordered it prior to the flight.
RouteParis CDG to San Jose via Zurich
Date FlownJune 2017

"It was a perfect flight"

(Costa Rica)

Verified Review | I got upgraded to Economy Max on this 11.5 hour flight from Zurich to San Jose, Costa Rica. It was a perfect flight. Highly motivated staff, good legroom, excellent seat with a very big IFE screen. Good selection of movies. The food was very good. I loved the extra warm and crunchy fresh bread they handed out. They only had one type of beer and two types of red wine but they were all good. Beer could have been colder, though. Nice touch with the Mövenpick ice cream mid flight. Toilets very clean and I appreciated the the free mouth wash offered. The vase with red roses was a nice touch too. It was really how economy travel should be, but now a days you have to pay extra for what used to be the norm. I am glad the option exists tough, as the jump to business class is too big in most cases. Well done Edelweiss!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteZurich to San Jose
Date FlownJune 2017

Edelweiss Air customer review

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Cape Town to Zurich. My experience did not start very well, because I could not do the online check-in. So, I when to the airport CPT very early for check-in. Ground service was very disorganized. When ground staff arrived there was some people queueing, but the staff ignored those people and organized the queue has people was not there... confusing between passengers occurred just because the staff did not made a small effort. When I got to the check-in desk, the staff did not make any effort to get me a better seat as asked. After spending a couple of hours waiting, we board on time. When I was getting in the plane, my seat was changed, and it was changed for a window seat, that I do not like. I look to my original seat, and there was not even children involved in the changing. No reason was gave to me. If they mess up with something, they should had changed me to a better seat, not a worst seat. Confort was not good, legs space was small. Food was just ok, and entertainment was very good.
RouteCape Town to Zurich
Date FlownMarch 2017

"courteous crew and service"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Stockholm to Zurich with a courteous crew and in-flight service. Hot snack and drinks were served in this two-hour flight. The flight was rather empty so I had the entire row to my self. Movie was shown on main screen so there was some entertainment if caught unguarded. Inflight magazine was also nice.
RouteStockholm to Zurich
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"great travel experience"

Verified Review | Zurich to Marsa Alam. Great travel experience on this Edelweiss flight to Egypt. Flight was not fully booked so we had a full row for ourselves. We were served a typical Swiss breakfast with bread, butter, jam, yoghurt and a fruit salad. Bread was served warm, directly from the oven and you could take as much as you like. Cabin crew was very friendly and helpful. Only thing to complain is the inflight entertainment system, which for a 4 hour flight is a bit basic. But I heard that by now even this has been updated.
RouteZRH to RMF