Eastern Airways

"denied a place on the plane"

Verified Review | Southampton to Leeds. Eastern Airways bumped me off my flight to Leeds and I missed my son’s graduation as a result. For professional reasons, the only travel option available to me was an 08.35 flight from Southampton to Leeds which would just get me there in time, and a 14.00 return flight the same day. I booked the flight in good faith several weeks in advance to ensure I had a seat. At the Gate I was denied boarding as the plane “was overweight” and 2 passengers would have to be left behind. Despite remonstrating forcefully and explaining why it was so important to get to Leeds on that flight, Eastern Airways could not be moved. Eventually, the airport staff (whose behaviour was at all times sympathetic and polite) asked the other passengers who were waiting on the transit bus for a volunteer to give up their place, explaining the circumstances. Unfortunately, no one took pity on my plight and I was denied a place on the plane. I was left distraught and upset having missed an unrepeatable family event. No compensation was offered by the airline, and there has been no attempt to contact me to offer either an explanation or apology. Yet another instance of the airlines overbooking flights, but this time with a human cost.
AircraftJetsteam 41
RouteSouthampton to Leeds
Date FlownJuly 2017

"airline is shockingly disappointing"

Verified Review | Booked a return from Leeds to Aberdeen at considerable cost. The outward leg was delayed as flight crew could not be found and operational issues being quoted yet again by the helpful ground crew. On my return again advised that Leeds Flight is cancelled and now flying to Humberside due to operational reasons. Humberside flight delayed by 2 hours. Taxi offered from Humberside to Leeds as is the norm with Eastern. Once again flights cancelled to save fuel costs and everybody stuffed into one aircraft then bussed like cattle to Leeds. Never using this airline again and now decided to drive and use a hotel. This airline is shockingly disappointing in the manner it cancels it late night flight to double up and save cost. Why offer the route if tou have no intention of honouring it.
RouteAberdeen to Leeds
Date FlownApril 2017

"most impressed by the service on this flight"

Verified Review | Flew Eastern Airways from Newcastle to Aberdeen. I was most impressed by the service on this flight - a complimentary drink & snack was a very nice gesture. The flight was very smooth even though there was bad weather in Aberdeen! The air stewardess was very polite & professional & could not do enough for her customers. I would recommend this airline and use it again if the need arose.
RouteNewcastle to Aberdeen
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"total disregard for customers"

Verified Review | Aberdeen to Leeds. Once again a flight cancellation of the evening flight due operational reasons. Only 3 passengers on flight so cancelled and flown to Newcastle and taxi to Leeds. A new operator on this route is desperately needed to get rid of the cowboy style of Eastern and their total disregard for their customers. I fly this route every month and without fail there is a delay or cancellation on this route. While the ground crew are getting peppered with questions and the frustration of passengers obvious they try to maintain the calm while the top management laugh at the savings in fuel costs and boosting profits. Shame on you for such a poor service, if there was a hot air balloon service to Leeds I would take it rather than fly with this sub standard airline.1
AircraftAirstream 41
RouteABZ to LBA
Date FlownNovember 2016

"service is now virtually useless"

Flew Wick to Aberdeen with Eastern Airways. This service is now virtually useless and constantly late. Today almost 3 hours late and we're still not off the ground yet. 6 colleagues waiting for me to arrive in Aberdeen and another load of passengers stranded in Wick having missed business and holiday connections.
RouteWIC to ABZ
Date FlownJuly 2016

"service worse than ever"

Verified Review | Prices going up, service worse than ever. Now £450+ Aberdeen to Humberside, noisy, slow old planes and constant "operational delays". We could cope with the 1990s aircraft when they were on time but this airline is now a joke. Nearly half of my flights to various destinations have been delayed this year, two over 3 hours. Bumping up prices paid for by the energy sector won't keep them going forever. They were handy but expensive, sadly now best avoided.
AircraftJetstream 41
RouteABZ to HUY
Date FlownJuly 2016

"poor communications"

Generally, I'm full of praise for this airline but a number of tech faults on the Saab 2000's recently (including right now as I'm stranded at Leeds Bradford) has slightly shaken my belief in this company. Poor communications, apparently reducing reliability, lack of punctuality, no staff available at LBA, etc etc, what should be a fast twice-weekly commute has become very hit and miss. Most distressing was calling Eastern two weeks ago, knowing that LBA was closed due to snow only to be told that their flight was departing on time! Not clever. I didn't even bother to go to the airport, preferring instead a 5hr drive. They've got to try harder to keep business customers like me, on planes that are generally lightly loaded we are the only ones providing regular revenue. Feeling unloved currently.
AircraftSaab 2000
RouteSOU to LBA
Date FlownMarch 2016

"would happily recommend"

Southampton to Leeds Bradford with Eastern Airways, and found the flight pleasant. Boarding quick and cabin crew seemed friendly enough. The flight was a little pricey, but then all internal flights are. Aircraft (Saab 2000) was in good shape, but you could tell it's age judging by the decor of the cabin, but seats were quite comfortable. Was a bit annoying as on the return flight, my seat reclined when I leaned back without me pressing the button. Overall a good flight and would happily recommend to anyone.
AircraftSaab 2000
RouteSOU to LBA
Date FlownDecember 2015

"no staff available"

Humberside to Aberdeen with Eastern Airways, and the first time I have flown from Humberside and it will be the last. Arrived at the airport two hours before departure to check in for my flight only to find that Eastern Airways had no staff available on the check in or on the customer service desk. Contacted them by phone and was told that no one would be available until an hour before flight departure. Great customer service.
RouteHUY to ABZ
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"mattered as a customer"

First time I have used Eastern Airways so wasn't quite sure what to expect however I was very pleasantly surprised at the experience. The price was £98 return Leeds/Bradford to Southampton. This is about £40 more than the cost of driving. It would also take 10 hrs in total driving (especially through roadworks on the M1). The flights were both on time and took less than the scheduled 65 mins. Check in staff very efficient, including fast-track through security (nice touch). Price also included a 15kg suitcase. Complimentary mints handed out at take off and landing, also offered complimentary drinks and crisps during flight. When was that last offered on a domestic flight on budget airlines? The plane as an older turboprop plane but clean and comfortable with lots of legroom. I will certainly use again and thanks to all the staff for restoring my faith in air travel as we all know how tedious it can get. I actually felt I mattered as a customer for once. Well done guys.
RouteLBA to SOU