Eastern Airways

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

I have used Eastern Airways for a number of years as my commute to work in the offshore industry. They have always been expensive and have the monopoly on this route. I note when another carrier recently went into completion with them for the Aberdeen route from Leeds Bradford their prices dropped dramatically. I used to book the zonal route pass which bought 6 return flights with full flexibility for around £1700. For my last 6 return flights I booked the 13.10 to DTV. Eastern Airways after accepting my booking and payment cancelled 4 of them on the return portion for operational reasons which were half term holidays and such like. I had to take a later flight which got me to my destination later than had I used the train at a significantly lower cost. The last two flights from DTV to Aberdeen were late and cancelled also. Technical problems sometimes occur and have to be accepted but it seems much more common lately. This airline is unreliable and accepts bookings offering flexibility and then removes the flexibility. I note another offshore workers review states that nobody within the industry has a good word for them and I agree with his statement. A budget airline experience at premium prices. I am now travelling by train
RouteAberdeen to Durham Tees Valley

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th June 2015

Surprisingly good. First time with Eastern. Good check-in at NWI airport, quite efficient and speedy (except for the Norwich airport surprise tax) Boarding on time, nice friendly greeting on board. Good seating (1x2) - I chose the single seat. Good legroom, surprising good all round seat, quite impressive for a small airline. Inflight good, nice coffee and biscuits. A sandwich would have been nice but it was only a short flight. Cabin crew good and attentive. Good communications from cockpit and cabin crew. On time departure and early arrival. Nice to see a crew route around bumpy weather. Good all round experience.
AircraftSaab 2000
RouteNorwich to Aberdeen

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th June 2015

Due to a family bereavement I had the need to make a day round trip from Leeds to Southampton. Two options were available to me train or fly down. Despite not having flown for 25 years I chose the fly option based on cost and obviously journey time. What an excellent choice I made: I booked with Eastern Airways and had an extremely pleasant trip. Check in was efficient the flight crew were attentive offering light refreshments and warm towels on both legs and both flights were on time despite some very inclement weather on the approach to Leeds/Bradford. The aircraft was a Jetstream and although quite small I found it to be clean comfortable and surprisingly quiet for a turbo-prop. I have no hesitation in recommending Eastern and would use them again. The experience restored my confidence in flying!

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th June 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th April 2015

Tuesday 7th Aberdeen-Newcastle. Service is terrible. I fly Aberdeen to Newcastle and know many who travel the same route through working in the offshore industry nobody has a good word to say. Prices are a fortune and customer service doesn't exist. I believe Aberdeen got voted the worst city in 2014 and when you deal with the staff at Eastern in the airport you can see why. Lazy and no sense of helping a paying customer a £211 one way flight paying customer. Sorry to tar all of the staff with the same brush as I'm sure there are good ones in there i just haven't met them in the last 9 years of using Eastern. I thought Bristows would improve things but nearly a year past and still the same dire service. Needs must though i'm afraid so until the day comes when Flybe or someone takes over then I'm stuck with Eastern.

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th April 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th December 2014

Just flew in this evening from Aberdeen to Southampton via a short (25 minute) stop-over at Leeds-Bradford. Very short queue for check-in was followed by fast-track through security and then a very pleasant 45 minute wait in the Eastern Airways lounge before boarding. Aircraft was a comfortable clean fast and relatively quiet Embraer ERJ135. Very pleasant and hardworking stewardess went out of her way to ensure passengers were safe and comfortable. Complimentary drink and snack on both (short) legs and warm flannel were most unexpected and in stark contrast to other economy airlines. Flybe's service on this route is very much the poor relation.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th December 2014

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th November 2014

Flew from Newcastle to Cardiff on the 6th November 2014. Arrived at the airport in good time to be told that the 0.640 flight to Cardiff was being combined with the 07.40 flight to Birmingham. This was due to that only 7 people were due to fly on the Cardiff flight and it wasn't economically viable to run the flight. Got bounced to the 07.40 flight to Birmingham which eventually arrived in Cardiff just under 2 hours late. Poor show planes are shabby seats are hard and the cost is astronomical. If your final destination is not near Cardiff consider alternative options. My journeys end was in Bath and it took just as long what with getting the bus from the airport to the railway station and then the train journey than by either train all the way or by driving. Will not be using Eastern again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th November 2014