Delta Air Lines

"there's no respect for customers"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Portland to Paris via Seattle with Delta Air Lines. Me and my husband booked our flights from Tel Aviv to Portland and vice versa via CheapOair, flying with KLM, Delta and Air France. The departing flights with a layover in Amsterdam ( with KLM) were great, however the returning flights operated by Delta and Air France were an horrendous experience! It began 2 days before our departure. We received an email notification that our returning flights have been rescheduled. We were not satisfied with the change, and spent more than an hour on an international call with cheapOair customer service to make sure we will depart at the original time and will remain seated together. While booking we paid to CheapOair to ensure we will be seated together, and they ensured us that even though the assigned seats may change, we will be together. In the updated itinerary all seemed OK, and we left for our trip thinking it is. When we checked in to our departing flights the evening before (3 flights with layovers in Seattle and Paris) we were shocked to see we were seated separately in all of them! Air France from Paris to Tel Aviv was the worst, with me being seated in the first rows and my husband in the back. What was even worse is we saw on one of the flights there was a free seat next to my husband, but to choose it meant to pay 60$ extra. Why would they separate us in the first place when there were seats available? Were we suppose to pay for something we already paid for?! We tried to call to Delta customer service, only to wait for more than 2 hours. Left our local sim number and they called back after 3 hours, said they transfer me to international flights customers service, and this time had to wait for another half an hour, left my number and they never called back. Our layovers were very short and we were nervous we won't be able talk with Delta representatives in the airports on time When we got to the airport at Portland, there were no Delta representatives to talk to. Next to the gate however were phones direct to customer service, on which luckily there wasn't any wait time, but the representative wasn't very helpful. When she was told all that we've been through she was silent and couldn't help us reassign the seats. She sent us to the gate to try and fix that. At the gate, representative got us new seats together on our flights from USA to Paris in a few moments. When asked what was the problem to do so from the beginning, she blamed it on Air France in Paris rescheduling one of the original flights and said it also caused the mess with the seats. She also couldn't reassign our seats from Paris to Tel Aviv. When boarded on the plane to Paris, we had a delay of a half an hour because safety buckles were missing and waited for the crew to bring it. After a long wait, apparently they brought the wrong buckles and had to return with the right once. We were afraid we were going to miss our next flight. The flight to Tel Aviv was not any better. Once again, there were seats together we were reassigned to without any problem, and yet again there was a delay of half an hour after boarding because the water system of the plane needed to be checked. Lucky we didn't miss our flights and got home safely! What bothered us the most, however, is that changing our seats seemed like a deliberate move to try make us pay more. Obviously there's no respect for customers. Flying with low cost companies is better than Delta!
Aircraft Boeing 777, A320
RoutePortland to Tel Aviv via Seattle / Paris
Date FlownApril 2018

"professionalism at it's best"

Trip Verified | Indianapolis to Minneapolis. I am in a wheelchair, needing much support. Staff at the check in desk was amazing. Due to mechanical error, the flight was delayed 5 hrs. She kept coming back onto the plane, even though I know she must have a lobby full of angry other passengers. This was professionalism at it's best. Those of us who need that extra little help truly appreciate that 'extra mile' being taken. This lady is a treasure and you should take good care of her.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteIndianapolis to Minneapolis
Date FlownApril 2018

"I will never fly Delta again"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Columbus via Los Angeles. My flight has been delayed multiple times without anyone from Delta knowing the reason. Not only will I miss my connecting flight in LAX home to Columbus OH but their only solution is to get me home at 6pm Monday night via another connection. How is this viable or an answer? Offered no solution to get me home any sooner and no hotel or anything as a solution to my being stranded in San Diego. I will never fly Delta again, I paid $600 for this flight
RouteSan Diego to Columbus via Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2018

"we got great assistance"

Trip Verified | From air to land, we got great assistance. We were travelling from Amsterdam to Seattle on 31st March 2018 with our 3 kids aged 6, 4 and 4 months old infant. We had 12 pieces of luggage since we were moving in Seattle for a long period of time. Our main concern was how to handle the kids and have the luggage transported from the airport to our house (including 3 car seats and a booster). After asking our flight attendant, he has spoken with his colleague and before we knew it, they came out of their way to help us load all luggage into their personal vehicles and had everything delivered to our house. They made our trip look so seamless. Great applause to Delta and your great staff members.
RouteAmsterdam to Seattle
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never fly this airline again."

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience ever. Flying from Cozumel thru Atlanta on 4/15/18. Our connecting flight in ATL was delayed due to a scheduling error by the airline. Once that was resolved we got on the plane, but were again delayed. We sat on the tarmac for 2 hrs before the plane returned to the gate due to a mechanical error. By now it was nearly midnight. Our flight was originally supposed to leave at 9:15 pm. We were then told no flight was available til 7:00 am the next day and we’d be given hotel vouchers, but would need to be back at the airport by 5:00 am. The line to get the vouchers had several hundred people in it because Delta had screwed up other flights that night and stretched practically outside the bldg. it took several hours to get through the line (because Delta only had 3 people working the desk) which meant that by the time most passengers got the vouchers it was too late to go to the hotel. In addition, we were told that we could get a later flight but needed to call Delta. When we did, we were told hold times were over 2 hours! The vast majority of passengers ended up having to sleep in the airport. Total incompetence by Delta in every way. The few staff that were on hand were impatient and rude. I will never fly this airline again.
RouteCozumel to Buffalo
Date FlownApril 2018

"the plane was very dirty"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Rome to San Francisco via Atlanta. Terrible experience! They used a 767 for a 11-hour international flight, the plane was very dirty and run-down. The touch screen on the entertainment TV barely worked. The volume was also way too quiet and I could barely hear my movie over people coughing loudly. The second segment from ATL to SFO was much worse despite being only half as long. Boarding took forever and I got stuck sitting next to a man with a nasty cold. His constant loud coughing/sneezing/grunting made it impossible for me to sleep on the near-red eye flight. When we landed it took 30 minutes before we went up to the gate. For some reason that always happens every time I fly Delta. Anyway, baggage claim also took longer than usual because an announcement said the cargo door was having difficulty opening properly and because the carousel wasn't decided until the last second. I'm never flying Delta again unless they upgrade their aircraft and stop overestimating the arrival times. My flight to SFO was estimated to be 6 hours, so the ground staff at the destination prepared for that duration. But since the actual flight time was only 5 hours, we had to wait longer to go up to the gate. By the way, the 737 used for the second flight segment was much more cramped than the ones used by United, and I flew first class.
AircraftBoeing 767-400 / 737-900
RouteRome to San Francisco via Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"seat also didn’t recline"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Boston. I used my company’s travel agency to switch my flight back to Boston to the red eye. I didn’t realize that the agency booked me in the row in front of the emergency exit, meaning the seats in that row don’t recline and it would require me trying to sleep while sitting at a 90 degree angle. There were many open seats after takeoff so I moved to the row in front of me. There was one man in that row in the aisle seat, and his wife was adjacent in another empty row. He very reluctantly allowed me to pass him to sit in the window seat of his row after I explained I wanted to sleep before returning to work in Boston the next morning. Not 20 minutes after I had fallen asleep, the Emporer of aisle 15 had gotten the flight attendant to ask me to evacuate “his” row. The attendant said that I was sitting in an economy plus row. No problem; I did not pay for an economy plus ticket and was more than happy to move to any other row with a reclining chair. I asked her to please tell me where I can move to another open seat. “Sure”, she says, and walks away. I gather my belonging and she comes back to say rudely “You have to move”. I asked if she knew which seat I could move to, and she said there should be some in the back. Super helpful. The only open economy seat was at the very back row which also didn’t recline.
RouteSeattle to Boston
Date FlownApril 2018

"six flights were on schedule"

Trip Verified | This is a broad overview of six domestic flights on Delta I took on the space of four days. I was very pleasantly surprised. All six flights were on schedule. Transfer at busy Atlanta was smooth. Flight attendants were welcoming. Leg space was adequate. Cabin was clean and bright. Ground staff at the gates were accommodating. In flight service offered a choice of four snack items. Luggage was brought out quickly enough jet side on arrival. IFE offered various choices - bring your own earphones.
AircraftA321-200
RouteAtlanta yo La Guardia
Date FlownApril 2018

"worst communication to their passengers"

Trip Verified | The last three Delta flights I have been on have always been delayed due to 'mechanical errors'. Being that Delta tickets are more expensive you would think they would have nicer planes. The last flight I was on was delayed for two hours while we were sitting on the runway and the captain of the flight didn’t even tell us what was going on. The flight leaving to Minneapolis from Anchorage was delayed by almost 6 hours! Seriously, they have a record of being the most delayed, slow and honestly the worst communication to their passengers. Since I live in Alaska there are very few airlines to choose from but if I had a choice I would avoid flying with them at all cost.
RouteAnchorage to Minneapolis
Date FlownApril 2018

"the same cabin, same food"

Trip Verified | Boston to Amsterdam. This review is for the Premium Economy. First, I did not see the difference with the economy until I noticed a little red strip on the seats. When asked, they are said to have more space between rows. Not very visible. Especially since you are in the same cabin, same food. By the way, now access to priority lane or else. Just a boarding before economy. I fail to see the advantage. Due to poor choice, crazy price, and a time constraint I had no choice but to take this airline and premium eco. I ll avoid this airline like the plague. One last thing. I asked on both way to be upgraded, I was ready to pay for it. Not possible! You have to do it 72h before - even in the 80s some airlines were upgrading you at the boarding desk.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy