Vote Now

Cubana Airlines

"Staff was very rude"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco return. We returned from Cuba to Toronto on February 19 leaving 11:35 from Cuba. Staff was very rude, it seems like they didn't care. We asked for tea and they brought the tea - we then asked for milk and sugar and she even didn't acknowledge this, not even the second time.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I would not recommend"

(Malta)

Verified Review | Santiago de Cuba to Havana. The representatives are very unhelpful and would not recommend to use this airline. We had a delay from Santiago (due to faults in the aeroplane) and they did not have any information about how long it would take. We had another flight from Havana 3 hours later but we were not given any priority or help. The Cubana Airlines representative did not even want to tell us the name of the hotel where the other customers were spending the night until the aeroplane was fixed. In the end the delay lasted 18 hours and we lost all our flights back home. The airline did nothing to compensate for the flights lost and we had to buy new tickets to get back. To top it all, when we finally arrived in Havana, we spent 1 whole hour on the plane waiting for the plane stairs and a bus to take us to the arrivals. Horrible experience so make sure you have extra days to cater for any delays if booking with this airline!
RouteSantiago de Cuba to Havana
Date FlownDecember 2016

"worst airline I have flown with"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco. Cubana Airlines is the worst airline I have ever flown with. My 6am flight meant I was ready to check in at 3am, only to find the flight was now delayed by 6 hours to noon, and then at 9.30 delayed again to 14.30. What a complete joke and $15 for snacks is supposed to be compensation? Come on Cubana Airlines, this is ridiculous!
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"seats were really really tight"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco via Cienfuegos. Left from Pearson International Airport on August 14,2016. Flight to Cayo Coco was supposed to leave at 6:25 am, being I read the reviews of the airline prior to booking I thought, ok great one of the first flights out so it shouldn't be delayed. Wrong, checked the time around 10 the night before to discover it was delayed until 9:00 am. Plane was older but fine with me other than the seats were really really tight, I thought Sunwing was bad but Cubana is much worse. No tv's but again, I don't watch them so that didn't matter. Crew was nice, breakfast snack was good. Coming home, I checked the night before to ensure the flight was on time, it was. I checked again in the morning and the hotel assured me that if it was delayed the Rep would have notified the hotel. Flight was leaving at 12:35 pm. We arrived at the airport at approx 11:30 am to find the flight delayed to 1:00 then 1:30 then 4:00 then 4:30 then we finally left at 5:00. Would I fly Cubana again? Depends on the difference in price between Cubana and the next airline. If it's not a huge difference in price I would book the next airline to avoid the delays, if cost doesn't matter, then go with the other airline to lessen the chance of delays and a little more legroom. I booked first class coming home. It was so worth the extra 100 pesos ($120 cdn) for the extra large seats and almost 3 feet of legroom, better service, a care package and much better meal then economy.
RouteYYZ to CCC via CFG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"the most decrepit plane"

Verified Review | Montreal to Cayo Coco. This was the worst flight/company I have ever dealt with. On April 29th at 3:45am I get to the Montreal airport where I am to board the 7am flight to Cuba, Cayo Coco. Upon my arrival, I am told that the flight has been delayed to 9:50pm - when I left my house at 3:00am, the flight was still on for 7:00am. They told us that they were giving our plane to the flight for Cayo Largo that was supposed to leave the day before. All in all, we waited in Montreal airport for 19 hours. After a lot of arguing, Cubana Airlines hired Sunwing to take us to Cayo Coco. We had to wait in the plane from 11pm to 12h 30am because Cubana Airlines had to give a document to them. Finally arrived to destination/hotel at 5:30am the next day. On our way back, Cubana was on time, no issues there. The issues however came up with the plane itself. It was the most decrepit plane I have ever seen and flown. I get to my seat, get my bagages settled, only to find that I can not actually sit in my seat without have the back of the seat lay down on the passengers lap that was sitting behind me. With a a lot arguing with the stewardess, they finally changed my seat (they actually wanted me to sit there the whole time without resting my back). Get myself settled again, to only have someone comme up to me and tell me that this was their seat. This happened to me 3 other times - I finally get a seat that no one claims, but the plane was dirty. This plane looked like it had not been cleaned since its inauguration, it was just downright dirty. You get what you pay for, but seriously, this was beyond that. Never, ever again will I fly Cubana Airlines.
RouteYUL to CCC

"11 hours of delay"

Montreal to Santa Clara with Cubana Airlines. 11 hours of delay from Montreal to Cuba, 7 hours of delay from Cuba to Montreal. Worst experience ever, not just because of the delay, but the flight turned out to be night flight because of the delay - but all the lights in the cabin were on for the total duration of the flight. I was travelling with my boyfriend, at first we were seated next to each other but it turn out that in both cases they assigned more than one person to the same seat.
RouteYUL to SNU
Date FlownMay 2016

"scramble for seats"

Verified Review | CU977 from Holguín to Havana scheduled for check in at 2100, flight at 2300 on Sunday 17 April 2016. Taxi was early so we arrived to check in about 19:20. At 2100 uproar as about 120 passengers advised that the flight was delayed. About 2230 advised that plane would not be arriving but two other smaller planes would be sent. Allowed to check in then sent to sit in freezing cold departure lounge (in middle of Cuban heatwave) - aircon thermostats set at 16 deg and no amount of requests to staff would persuade them that the thermostats could be comfortably raised to about 21deg. At about 0230 on 18th April a lonely Aerocarribean ATR 42 arrived and there was a mad undisciplined scramble for seats. The one in front of me was broken and the seat back was down onto my leg. I have a bad knee - not good. The very tired looking Stewardess was helpful and swapped our seats with a mother and short legged child, safety apparently was not a priority - the seat had obviously been broken a long time as were several others! Eventually got to Havana where we waited for luggage. Our booked taxi had long gone home! One good note, the landing in the dark at Jose Marti Havana was superb, hardly felt contact with the runway. Big thanks to pilot for safe uneventful flight in a smelly and poorly maintained cabin.
AircraftATR-40/70
RouteHOG to HAV
Date FlownApril 2016

"service even more basic"

Verified Review | Departure from Toronto March 31st started off with the check in desks not being ready when I arrived, but they set up a little later. Didn't appear to be any issues with the departure time of 12.50. Flight ok, service ok, basic, notice no movie screens, no ear phones issued, no pillows or blankets provided. Flight went smoothly and arrived at SCU on time. Return was another story entirely. I've noted from other reviews that Cubana appears to have developed a steady pattern, which may now be a practice, of not being on time, major delays, and very poor to no information being communicated to passengers. Yes, airlines experience delays and equipment problems. But in this day and age what continues to happen with both of these companies is not acceptable. So, for the return. The 6.05 departure on April 7th from SCU was originally on time, but then it was delayed. No explanation as to why. At approx. 7.30 or 8 an official came into the departure lounge and passengers went to speak with him to find out what was going on. We were told the flight wouldn't be leaving until 3 am. We asked about being taken out of the airport and accommodated for more comfort etc. due to the length of the wait and were told no. We asked about food and refreshments and were told that was being organized. The timing of the departure changed 3 more times after that, moving to 10pm and 11pm that night, and then finally an empty jet arrived at 12.20. Rumour had it that there was a problem with the flight coming down from Toronto and it had to turn back. Same thing with a flight that was allegedly coming from Havana. We were also told that they had to get permissions in place for our plane to land at Toronto in the wee hours of the morning (eg: 2.30am). Once the empty jet landed and we loaded, we took off at 1.30 am. Service even more basic than the flight coming down - drinks and a snack were served but nothing else. No duty free offered. And, again, no earphones, no movie screens, no pillows or blankets. We flew without any incident, landing in Toronto at 5.30 am. A lot of passengers had to miss work / school that day because of the toll all of that drama took. Again, by this point in time Cubana and Hola Sun seriously need to pull up their socks and change their ideas and approach towards their schedules and their approach, especially with regard to providing better communications and information, to the travelling public. There are limited airlines that fly into Santiago. But that doesn't mean Cubana has any sort of monopoly and can treat passengers like that.
RouteYYZ to SCU
Date FlownApril 2016

"never again with Cubana"

Montreal to Havana with Cubana Airlines. My husband and I arrive 3 hours earlier to give our tickets and to be place for seats on the flight. We were there first in line for an hour at least. It took so much time to get our seats on the flight that we were the last ones to have our seats for the travel and were seated at the very back of the flight. To go to Havana our flight was reported late for 3 hours. The day we came back we arrive 3 hours earlier again at the Havana airport. When it was time to register the guy couldn't find our name on the flight. They made us wait in front of the booth and I had to sit on my suitcase for 2:30hrs. All that to have a confirmation half an hour before our flight left. No one said sorry for the confusion. Never again will I go with Cubana.
RouteYUL to HAV
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"a horrible experience"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco. I will never fly with Cubana Airlines again, because of them our trip was cut short by one day, we were supposed to be in Cayo Coco at 10:00 am on April 10th but because the flight was cancelled we didn't get there until 4 am on April 11th. When we got to the airport we had no idea the flight was cancelled until an hour after boarding was supposed to start, they told us the flight didn't show up, then we were told there was no crew members available and the third and final excuse was that 3 birds flew into the aircraft causing the cancellation, we all had to either go home or stay at the hotel since the flight was supposed to leave the next day at 6 am, we were about to leave the hotel to go shopping when we found out that the flight was actually going to leave the same night, thanks for letting us know if it weren't for the people that were notified by trip advisor we would have missed the flight. We were all given vouchers for breakfast lunch and dinner guess what we had to pay an extra $70 to eat at the hotel it was ridiculous. Once we finally got on the airplane the seats were dirty and the crew members pretty rude. Overall a horrible experience!
RouteYYZ to CCC