Cubana Airlines

"never again fly with Cubana"

Verified Review | Cubana Airlines is the worst airline I ever flew with. We used the airline for a domestic flight within Cuba (Havanna to Holguin). The flight was around 5,5 hours delayed, the airline communicated nothing in advance and never said sorry for the circumstances. They offered no free drinks or a snack, the information at the airport in Havanna was horrible. They only changed the departure time on the monitors. In Holguin the pilot was not able to meet to runway in the first attempt and needed a second landing. In Holguin Cubana needed 45 minutes to bring the luggage to us. My leather bag was impured with white color. Nobody at the Holguin airport, no employee of Cubana felt responsible to help me. For safety reasons I would avoid dmestic flights in Cuba. They had no print tickets and wrote our boarding pass with a pen! At the safety check they dont want to see my passport! I will never again fly with Cubana and can't recommend this company to you.
AircraftAntonov
RouteHavana to Holguin
Date FlownOctober 2017

"our luggage was lost"

Verified Review | Upon arrival to Cayo Largo, our luggage was lost after a direct flight from Toronto to Cayo Largo. A fiasco was about to start, nobody could help us locate our luggage, nobody knew how to contact Toronto to see if our luggage was sent on the plane, nobody understood what we were trying to ask. After the Cubana Hola Sun representative finally understood that we did not receive our luggage, and had an airport rep scribble on a piece of paper of apparently what seemed to be a lost luggage report. The Hola Sun rep insisted we get on a bus to our hotel, when we wanted to receive answers before leaving the airport on the status of where our luggage was located and how we can have access to it. Nobody wanted to make a call to Toronto. They indicated the only flight from Toronto to Cayo Largo was the 5th of August, the day we were leaving Cayo Largo, and we had no other options in regards to receiving our luggage. We left the airport after the Hola Sun rep told us she would take care of this. The next morning at our group meeting with the same Hola Sun Cubana rep, she did not recognize us and did not know we had lost our luggage. She scribbled beside our room number lost luggage. She told us again that she had no way of contacting Toronto to see where our luggage was and that she had no control in this matter. The following day we approached the rep yet again about our lost luggage and that we had nothing for the entire week in the deserted island of Cayo Largo, she said we should contact the Cubana rep at the Cayo Largo that only works after 1PM. She again did not want to call Toronto Cubana Airline for us to see if the luggage was there or not. The next day, she had no idea who we were and said she did not deal with lost luggage. Finally, day 4 of our trip, still no baggage, no sunscreen, no clothes, no snorkelling kits, no shoes, a new rep comes on duty and immediately takes charge and types a Microsoft Word document stating we lost our luggage and signs it, still no report sent to YYZ stating they lost our luggage. She then tells us she spoke to the Cayo Largo Airport rep of Cubana that will send our luggage to Cayo Largo tomorrow via Varadero. The next morning, we prepare to be ready for the arrival of the 6.45AM plane from Varadero, to finally receive our luggage. Nothing, nobody knows, no claims about lost luggage, no reports, no file #. Day 6, we go see the rep again, who states your luggage could have never sent because YYZ Cubana is on strike, sorry. Day 7, finally we leave this fiasco, on route to YYZ to see about where could our luggage be. We arrive in YYZ at 1AM, no reports about lost luggage, nobody at Baggage Claim knows what we are talking about, Cubana. He brings us into a closet, hundreds of lost luggage unorganized piled on top of each other, a dozen of strollers, bugs, humidity smell, and he says to check in there by ourselves. Desperate, we search through the piled on top of each other, nothing. The Baggage Claim in YYZ tells us to call in the morning, nobody knows and there's no claim report in their system and they refuse to file an official report for us in the system, stating only this one person can do the actual report. 2AM we drive 5 hours home hoping maybe the luggage was sent home during our time away. Nothing. 5 days of phone calls, we find the luggage.
RouteToronto to Cayo Largo
Date FlownAugust 2017

"horrible, unprofessional airline "

Verified Review | Havana to Mexico City. Cubana Airlines is the most horrible, unprofessional airline I've seen in my life! We had booked a flight from Cuba to Mexico City on 23rd July at 6am, to then catch our international flight from Mexico City at 1pm. (5 hours stop, which gives enough time for any anticipated delays from Cuba) Its 6:30am and still we didn't board and no feedback when we will take off, then at 7am they announce boarding. We stood in line and there was no employee to board us and we could see that the plane had no captain or any employee inside. 20 min later an employee shouts in the airport in Spanish "gate change". We board the plane after 1.30 hours delay to find the plane so dirty and smelling. After 1 hour of flight, the captain announces there's a problem with the wing ne and we have to go back to Havana airport! We flew back to Havana, were dropped at the airport with no information on what's next and were led like sheep back into passport control. That was already 10am and obviously we had missed our international flight from Mexico to Beirut since no other plane was scheduled to depart and the flight takes 2:30hrs to Mexico city. We tried to find someone to talk to, the security guy didn't speak any English so we got the translation from another passenger, and we understood that they don't know what will happen next. We tried to look/ask for the manager and they told us he is very busy and has no time for us! We asked for him urgently because our international flight is gone and obviously we had paid a lot of money for the flight, but the employee of Cubana Airlines didn't seem to care much and told us "its not my problem" Our luggage's were given back to us and still no information on anything else Our adventure of chasing the manager lasted for 3 hours with all the excuses you can imagine "he's up in his office", "he's down somewhere", "he's very busy", "he's not answering his phone". etc.. One of the times when we were told he's in his office, we went and obviously he wasn't there, another employee of Cubana airlines was there and when we told her what's the issue, she simply stood up, left the office, locked it behind her and ignored us. After 3 hours running from one place to the other at the airport carrying all our luggage with us up and down the stairs not less than 10 times, we found at last the famous manager. My husband explained to him the situation, however his reply wasn't any better than his employees, he also advised that its not his problem. When my husband asked him at least if he will provide a plane anytime soon, his answer was "now go to the hotel and I don't have any information on when we will have another plane!" Not only did the manager have the worst communication skills, he didn't even bother to suggest a solution. Now we went looking for a flight that goes back to our home country which is impossible in a country like Cuba with no internet, no wifi, no sms, airline offices with no employees and few/no people speaking English. We ended up paying 4500USD for 2 tickets one way back home!
RouteHavana to Mexico City
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not friendly, poor service, old planes"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Largo return. Was hesitant to book with Cubana after reading reviews, wish I followed my instincts. Flight to Cayo Largo was actually ok. Flight home a nightmare. Were told it was delayed 30 minutes, got to the airport, boarded, was excited for the first time in 3 trips my trip home wasn't going to be delayed hours! Then everything went wrong. When they turned the jets on, a strong strong smell came into the plane of jet fuel. People coughing, sneezing, we were covering our mouths. 20 minutes later the captain says they have an error in the cockpit and we must disembark. 30 minutes later we get off the plane, and play a waiting game, overhearing on the intercom 'your estimated departure time is approximately tomorrow. At 10:30 our rep says at 11:30 if the plane isn't fixed they will have to figure out what they are doing with us. 11:30 its fixed they say, but can't land at Pearson now?? So back to the resorts we go. But only after we have to get our visas back one by one, and our luggage, and check back in, only to have to check out at 7 am to return to the airport. They attempted to feed us the meals from the plane when we left the airport, it was a soggy piece of bread and some soggy cucumbers. Unedible. We saw them giving water to some people, we didn't get any. Which by the time we landed the next day put us at 25 hours without a meal or beverage. The bus came and we waited until 10:20 to board the plane, many of us didn't want to get back on as we were scared. It wasn't a good situation, and they should have sent a new plane, but I know it's a risk flying with Cubana. So 10:45 we finally fire up, and the plane smells again, we were all nervous, I've never smelt jet fuel on the plane like that, it was terrible. We managed to take off regardless, and I cried on the way home. So much turbulence, the entire flight, and the landing was so rough. It was the first time I was almost sick on an airplane, good thing I wasn't as there wasn't even a vomit bag. Another part is no communication. The captain never came over to tell us anything, I missed communication greatly. Sometimes he would just say something in Spanish which was more alarming. Many of us concurred they are our never again airline. They should be taken out of commission, not safe, not friendly, poor service, old planes. Just happy to be alive! Do yourself a favour, if you are debating on booking with Cubana like I was, don't!!!
AircraftAirbus
RouteToronto to Cayo Largo
Date FlownApril 2017

"service has deteriorated even further"

Verified Review | Since the last published review it seems that the service has deteriorated even further. Our flight from Havana to Santiago which was scheduled for 13.00 was cancelled at the last minute and we were told to come back in the morning! After seven hours in the airport and some vociferous complaining we eventually got on the last flight out that night. Our return trip three days later was scheduled for 8.25am but when I checked with the Cubana office in Santiago the day before I was told it had been delayed, by 12 hours. All the staff in the airports and on the planes were surly, uncommunicative and downright unhelpful. As with a lot of the state run services in Cuba, the state employees have got jobs for life and just don't care. If I had thought to look at these reviews before booking the holiday, I would have stayed well clear of internal flights and I would recommend this course of action to anyone considering it.
RouteHavana to Santiago de Cuba
Date FlownApril 2017

"I will never fly Cubana again"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco. When boarding in Toronto staff at gate were initially very nice and friendly. Once on board what a disappointment. Staff were very stoic, looked unhappy, seemed annoyed when they came around with beverages and you actually wanted to buy one. I purchase a cola and was short changed $4.00. When I politely mentioned it to the stewardess she rolled her eyes, said something in Spanish to her coworker who then laughed and then abruptly gave me $4.00. The plane was very dated and dirty, seats were crammed and sink flooded in washroom. No smiles from anyone working on the plane. Flight home was worse. We were suppose to fly out on a Sunday evening at 8pm, were notified by hotel that flight changed to 2am! Not a problem cause we were able to stay in the room at no charge. We then get a call flight is delayed to 330am, now annoyed. We finally get to airport to another delay, flight to depart 440 - no explanation, no one has an answer or cares to help. Finally board the flight home, plane was a bit better than first one or maybe because we lucked out and got seats in row 3 that had extra leg room. Again, attendants were cold faced, shoved a paper in your hand as you got on plane and did not smile or say hi. Again they came around with food and beverages and just plopped food in front of you and said nothing. I sat next to a woman who had crutches from an injury she got on vacation, she asked to use the washroom up in the front as it was 2 rows away, attendant refused to let her insisting that only first class paying people use it. They made her hobble to the very back of the plane. When we finally landed they opened the door and stood there looking miserable, not one staff member smiled or said a word. What a miserable group of people. I will never fly Cubana again.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownApril 2017

"never had such a bad experience"

Verified Review | Havana to Managua. The worst airline I have ever had misfortune to fly with. Initially I was booked to fly to San Jose from Havana on the 19th April but this flight was cancelled when I arrived at the airport. After being taken to a hotel back in Havana that was the last we heard from the airline - people had to make their own way to the Cubana office to sort out new flights. I opted to go to Managua on the 22nd as that was my eventual destination and would save a long bus journey - big mistake! Confusing communication about my pick up from my hotel meant I was taken to the airport 8 hours before my flight. I tried to get food vouchers but got nowhere with the staff - even trying to sort out food myself was impossible with the lack of facilities at Jose Marti. The time to board came and went - no one thought to come and let us know what was happening, eventually 3 hours after we were supposed to depart the flight was cancelled with the excuse that it was the weather - interestingly no other airline seemed to be affected by this phenomenon, even another Cubana flight seemed to be still leaving. It then took a further 2 and a half hours to sort out transport to a hotel back in the city. We did eventually leave on the 23rd but even that wasn't without hold ups and lack of information. I know sometimes things happen that are outside your control but the one thing that marked this experience was that no one from Cubana ever said the words "I'm sorry". Waiting for the bus after the cancelled Managua flight - staff would not look us in the eye when we asked for someone to come and sort out the situation - just told "another 20 minutes go wait there". A lot of the frustration felt by the passengers on both flights could have been avoided if we had been given information on what was happening and treated as human beings rather than an inconvenience that needed to be passed on elsewhere. I've flown on a lot of iffy airlines in the past but have never had such a bad experience as I had with this joke of an airline. Never again!
RouteHavana to Managua

"nightmare experience"

Verified Review | Flew Cubana Airlines from Santiago De Cuba to Havana. Awful. Flight delayed by 7 hours - no one at the airport knew what was going on, we kept being given different times. Flight was full of people from the night before whose flight was cancelled. No compensation given - missed our flights home so had to buy new ones at a cost of 1400USD each. Would not recommend - just take the bus its cheaper and far more reliable. Nightmare experience.
RouteSantiago De Cuba to Havana

"Staff was very rude"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cayo Coco return. We returned from Cuba to Toronto on February 19 leaving 11:35 from Cuba. Staff was very rude, it seems like they didn't care. We asked for tea and they brought the tea - we then asked for milk and sugar and she even didn't acknowledge this, not even the second time.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I would not recommend"

(Malta)

Verified Review | Santiago de Cuba to Havana. The representatives are very unhelpful and would not recommend to use this airline. We had a delay from Santiago (due to faults in the aeroplane) and they did not have any information about how long it would take. We had another flight from Havana 3 hours later but we were not given any priority or help. The Cubana Airlines representative did not even want to tell us the name of the hotel where the other customers were spending the night until the aeroplane was fixed. In the end the delay lasted 18 hours and we lost all our flights back home. The airline did nothing to compensate for the flights lost and we had to buy new tickets to get back. To top it all, when we finally arrived in Havana, we spent 1 whole hour on the plane waiting for the plane stairs and a bus to take us to the arrivals. Horrible experience so make sure you have extra days to cater for any delays if booking with this airline!
RouteSantiago de Cuba to Havana