CSA Czech Airlines

"best thing was the legroom"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Prague to Brussels. The best thing was the legroom, you had enough space (i'm 187cm). It was a good flight and the cabin crew was friendly and will try to help you if you have a question. It was an A319 without entertainment. Maybe the company can give one free beverage because they are a traditional airline.
RoutePrague to Brussels
Date FlownFebruary 2018

" I was pleasantly surprised"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Seoul. I was pleasantly surprised about their service. Everything went smooth from check-in to landing. Food was fresh and tasty, crew was very nice and helpful. I did not use the in-flight entertainment system much, but airshow and music selection was good, one let down is that the system is not in Czech. We were provided with pillow and blanket plus bottle of water, which was very nice as I did not have to ask crew whenever I was thirsty. Both flights departed more or less on time and landed early. I wish their service would be so good on all of their flights.
RoutePrague to Seoul
Date FlownDecember 2017

"maximum occupancy and minimum legroom"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Boarding process borderline rude, with boarding announcement focused around the warning that carry-ons will be checked for size and weight. Boarding personnel obviously trained to police and enforce rather than to serve. This is now part and parcel of the standard CSA travel experience since they began luring leisure travellers on rock-bottom fares with steep surcharges for checked-in baggage to what used to be business clientelle flights with decent levels of service for high-price flexible tickets (early morning to Western Europe, late evening back). Without warning, the flight was not operated by their own A319 providing decent seating comfort. Instead, they used their parent company's B737 configured for maximum occupancy and minimum legroom. With my 5' 11" / 182 cm, I had a choice between sitting with my legs spread apart or massaging the bottom of the passenger before me with my knees. Btw., their parent company is the lowcost Travel Service/Smartwings, a Czech and Chinese-owned business and one of only two carriers in Europe with two-star rating from Skytrax. Avoid if you can.
RoutePrague to Brussels
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"No options, no choice, no apology"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Ostrava (60 minutes) is sometimes merged with Prague to Košice (90 minutes) into a single flight Prague to Košice with a stopover in Ostrava, which adds some 30 to 40 minutes to total flight time for passengers to Košice. On January 12, however, CSA/Travel Service came up with something new: Prague to Ostrava via Košice. The normally 60-minute flight to Ostrava thus took 3 hours and 30 minutes! Passengers to Ostrava were taken all the way to Košice, made to leave the aircraft there, then to board again 20 minutes later and only brought to their destination on the way back to Prague. Huge savings for the carrier, zero respect to cargo. Sorry, I mean to passengers, mainly homeward business travelers on a Friday afternoon. I am appalled at the level of arrogance displayed by the once respectable national carrier. If informed in time, I could have opted for a train ride, which would have brought me home earlier and at a fraction of the cost while pampering me with all the comforts of a modern speed train like WiFi, royal amounts of legroom, nice onboard service and a well stocked dining car. Instead, I was confronted by the grim reality only at the gate minutes before boarding. No options, no choice, no apology, no compensation. Just a matter-of-factly answer to my astonished question: Yes, you will fly via Košice. And one more thing: the food included in my fare was not served, which is why I checked N/A below.
AircraftATR 72
RoutePrague to Ostrava via Košice
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"bad low cost service"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Barcelona. I bought the ticket via CSA web and "operated by" CSA was promised. In the end came the plane from their co-owning company Smartwings-Travel Service, which is a low cost airline. This is now turning to be very regular what CSA do. This plane was old, ugly and dirty with low cost distances between the seats, hitting the knees and I am really not a giraffe. Horrible service and the food which I ordered and paid in advance was also very bad. I used to fly CSA in the past, but since Travel Service took off I try to avoid it. You pay national airline price, but you get very bad low cost service.
RoutePrague to Barcelona
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Overall a lousy service"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Moscow on Dec 30th. My Sky Priority status and Fast Track label should allow for priority boarding. Providing, CSA would manage this process. Boarding has been a complete mess and with just a single single queue based on first come - first served. No priority for parents with the kids, business class, Sky priority or any other things you are normally used to see. The flight was fully booked but boarding has been channeled through a single person, checking all the boarding cards, passports and visa. Consequently, boarding has been an agonizing process and atmosphere was very tense. Unfortunately, my observation suggests that in Prague such a chaos is more the rule rather than exception. There has been no supervisor present at the boarding and it did not look professionally. We have arrived in Moscow with 1 hr 25 min delay. The purser apologized in Czech and English, but not in Russian. However, most of the passengers were Russians. Overall a lousy service.
RoutePrague to Moscow

"Service below standard"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Moscow to Prague. Service below standard. Flew CSA business class from Moscow to Prague. All aspects of the service was not in line with what is normally offered in business class. And definitively much below what direct competitor is offering. It is in terms of the overall customer care, comfort of the seats, selection of the meal (in fact there was no selection!), etc. I found CSA business class only marginally better than Lufthansa or Austrian economy. Though significantly more expensive. Not a value for money.
RouteMoscow to Prague
Date FlownOctober 2017

"the baggage is damaged"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Prague. Damaged baggage? We will take our Time! After receiving my baggage, I have noticed that the baggage is damaged beyond any repair and reported that at the desk. The claim has been registered and I was instructed to call CSA Call Center to get the info re next steps. However, when calling Call Center, this particular service was not available due to the “technical reasons”. Instead, they requested to file the complained by email. I did it (already my second filing) just to get the automatic response that I will be contacted soon. I felt, soon means one two days or so. However, after 6 days of silence I choose to call CSA myself. Service was again not available due to “technical reasons”. When calling general information, I was instructed to go to the repair shop, get protocol that baggage cannot be repaired and ask for compensation. One is wondering why they did not tel me a week ago. I was asking as to why there was no follow up and got explained that CSA has 30 days to respond. So if you fly to Prague and your baggage is damaged, you get response after 30 days. Than you have to present the document from repair shop and perhaps after next 30 days or so you might get compensated. If lucky enough. Given, I am not living in Prague, the suggestion to go to the shop and wait for the resolution of the case is impractical and ridiculous. I am already on my way now and cannot use my baggage. Moreover, I also cannot leave my damaged baggage on its own. So baggage became a real baggage due to this ridiculous approach by CSA. I would also suggest to SkyTeam that they should harmonize their procedures across the alliance to secure user friendly and consistent services. Last time, I had damaged my baggage, I got a new one from Delta right at the spot. The fact that I am SkyTeam Gold customer is no help. I cannot be more dissatisfied with the approach taken by CSA.
AircraftATR72
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteFrankfurt to Prague
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Expensive with poor conditions"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Flew Bucharest to Prague. Expensive with poor conditions. I traveled better with Ryanair and it was also cheaper (like a quarter of the price here, with luggage included and so on). Tarom was also at a better price and with better conditions. Czech Airlines do not offer you the minimum seat space, not a good food service and also the baggage requirements are very annoying.
RouteBucharest to Prague
Date FlownDecember 2017

"seats are comfortable enough"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | First time I flown with CSA with my family from Stockholm to Prague and we were not disappointed. Check-in was smooth, boarding was smooth, economy class seats are comfortable enough for a two hr long flight. Flight attendants did their job, I did not have to interact with them at all. Take off and landing were on time. No delay. I have nothing bad to say about this airline. Same experience on the way back. Clean interior and enough place for hand baggage. Passengers can see the flight route throughout the flight. We had our own snack and water during the flight.
RouteStockholm Arlanda to Prague