Vote Now

Copa Airlines

"prices were far below the US carriers"

Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco via Panama City. Copa Airlines prices were far below the US carriers for getting back from the Olympics in Rio. I'd read horror stories about Copa's economy class; when I spotted a deal on Business Class, I grabbed it! I'm very glad I did! The seats were wide and comfortable, with footrests. Basically, it was the back of First class; seats were identical but possibly the meals were different. (I know we didn't get all the alcohol the people in first class got, though we were offered some.). IFE was great with at least 2 different movies that each member of my family enjoyed as we all have different tastes.
RouteGIG to SFO via PTY
Date FlownAugust 2016

"assigned seats but not together"

Verified Review | Panama City to San Francisco. Terribly upset with Copa Airlines. Bought our tickets at full price 6 months ago. Arrived at Panama City airport early but the lady at the counter put us on standby. When I asked why, she said we were not on standby and that the standby tag was normal procedure. We could not understand and when we asked again what was happening she would not talk to us. At the gate we were assigned seats but not together. When we arrived our bags were not on the plane. The staff is rude and inconsiderate.
RoutePTY to SFO
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"entertainment system was broken"

(Panama)

Verified Review | Took the flight from Panama City to Buenos Aires which goes for a bit more than 7 hours. The ticket was booked on business class and it was a night flight arriving a 1:15 in the morning. Compared to the competition the tickets was about 1000US$ more expensive. I hoped this would relect in a better service and a nice product. Copa make this flights in Boeing 737-800 one aisle aircraft where the business class allocates about 16 seats. Those seat might be wider than the economy ones, and maybe only two per side instead of the usual 3, but thats all. They do not recline enough to allow you any sleep, and the added comfort expected at the price of a transatlantic flight lets you down. The entertainment system was broken again. The temperature was extremely low, so we asked for blankets. it turns out they did not have blankets on board, nor did they have pillows. 7 hrs flight, in the middle of the night, no entertainment, no pillows no blankets, no reclining seat, no sleep. Then the menu came with some options to be taken. All of them were rapidly reduced to only one because they did not load more - we asked for the wine, only one because the other was not loaded. The flight attendants were not friendly, not caring - if the entertainment is down, read a book I was told. I will only take this airline again when I am forced by my company.
RoutePTY to EZE
Date FlownOctober 2016

"almost always a good choice"

Verified Review | San Jose to Tampa via Panama City. Copa Airlines is almost always a good choice for flying to Central and South America. This flight was no exception. Check-in at the priority lane at SJO was immediate and efficient. Boarding was quick. I had the emergency exit row to myself on the SJO-PTY segment, so that was eminently comfortable. There was a sandwich snack but no alcohol on this short, early-morning flight. There was a more elaborate meal and a full free beverage service on the flight to TPA. The flight attendants were personable, outgoing, and willing to engage in conversation. As I have commented here before, I am particularly impressed with the detailed instructions that are given to all passengers in the exit rows. Both flights departed and arrived ahead of schedule, and the connection at PTY was quick and easy. As an added bonus, the mileage for this Star Alliance partner flight was properly credited to my United Mileage Plus account within two days.
RouteSJO to TPA via PTY
Date FlownAugust 2016

"seat pitch was excellent"

(Croatia)

Flew Copa Airlines from Lima to Panama City. Flight was the first of a multi journey including flights with another company. Boarding was organised in groups. Plane was very clean with individual IFE with very good content for a 3h15min flight. Seat pitch was excellent as well. FAs very helping pax with cabin lugage, all well groomed and smiling. Light and tasteful lunch was served with one drink service. I watched a movie and listened some music and time passed quickly. I have to say I was impressed with service by FAs who carefully pushed trolley through the cabin, made eye contact with pax, smiled and promptly answered call buttons. I was left with the impression of well trained stuff who like their job. If there was inflight wifi it would be perfect 10. Definitely the best short haul flight in years.
RouteLIM to PTY
Date FlownNovember 2016

"there is not much to complain"

(Bolivia)

Verified Review | Lima to Havana via Panama. I flew this airline many times before in economy class but this time I decided to treat myself and upgrade to business. To my disappointment the aircraft I flew was old - there was no entertainment system, the seats were hard as rock. Cabin service was good, food was okay I guess, for the price paid there is not much to complain.
RouteLIM to HAV via PTY
Date FlownDecember 2015

"a superb airline"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | All in all, a superb airline. Flew from Montreal to Havana via Panama. New aircraft, punctual, excellent crew and no drip-feed pricing (all meals and baggage included. United, I am looking at you). Seamless transit at Panama which is a great hub if one is travelling to Latin America or the Caribbean). Vegetarian meals catered for and not bad at all. Overnighted in Panama on way back and bid for an upgrade to business which was excellent value). Exemplary service on 5.5h sector to Montreal. Offered a 15 yr old anejo gran reserva rum after main meal service. Nice. Copa lounge a bit basic but brand new terminal under construction at PTY. Definitely recommend Copa Airlines.
RouteYUL to HAV via PTY
Date FlownJuly 2016

"a great plane for day flights"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Panama and my first time flying Copa Airlines and I was impressed. We flew on a new 737-800 with the Sky Interior which has bigger windows and a much lighter interior. The service was very friendly and the food quality and presentation quite good. The layout is a very comfortable 2-2 configuration with great pitch given that this is a 737. The seat had a decent recline. The IFE system is ok albeit had only 6 movies to choose from. The touch screen is not very responsive but easy to use. Here comes the problem. This is a great plane for day flights. However, our flight from San Francisco to Panama is a 6:30 hour overnight flight and sleeping on these seats is a bit of a nightmare. Reminds me of the old days, prior to flat beds. Overall very pleased with Copa, but will be looking forward to the return day flight more than this overnight one.
RouteSFO to PTY
Date FlownAugust 2016

"crews were great and entirely bilingual"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Cartagena via Panama City with Copa. Good flights and service all around. The Panama City hub is pretty efficient although it has its shortcomings. It's too small for the traffic it has to handle due to the success of Copa and Panama as a transit point for Inter-Americas traffic. Los Angeles - Tocumen jets were new and the service in the front of the plane was attentive and the food service was adequate for the length of the flights. The seats may not be the latest and greatest lie flat seats but that's OK given the price paid. PTY-CTG jets were less well appointed but for under an hour it doesn't matter. The crews on all 4 legs of this trip were great and entirely bilingual. The only reason I don't give the airline a 10 is the seats in the Clase Ejecutiva are a bit, shall we say, firm.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 737-700
RouteLAX to CTG
Date FlownJuly 2016

"staff kind, seats were fine"

Panama City to Cartagena with Copa Airlines. Flight departed on time and the same can be said of the arrival. I appreciate how even on a quick flight like this passengers were still offered complimentary sandwiches. Staff were kind, and the seats were fine.
RoutePTY to CTG