Copa Airlines

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Sao Paulo via Panama City. I was pleasantly surprised. CUN-PTY is a short flight and lucky too. The plane was old, with no IFE, no power sockets, and little service. However the plane was punctual and the FAs attentive. I was really not looking forward to the 7 hour PTY - GRU leg on a 737. However this was a much newer plane, with a recently refurbished cabin. Again the FAs were attentive, the IFE was fine and the seats were comfortable reclining to around 150°. Not your flat bed but comfortable enough. The food was reasonable and the flight arrived early.
AircraftB737-800
RouteCancun to Sao Paulo via Panama City
Date FlownJune 2018

"They have not been supportive"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Cuzco via Panama / Lima. Copa airlines rebooked our tickets when their partner airline we were flying with was late (we were in the check in line more than an hour before our boarding time with our 2 hour layover - our priority marked luggage also came later than anyone else on our flight). They made us wait in an airport for 24 hours without any vouchers or support and did not tell us they were giving us standby tickets the next day. So we did not have a guaranteed way to get home though we were not informed of this and ended up spending a ton of money for the 24 hours stuck in an airport which could have gone toward us rebooking our flights with another airline. When we got to the next layover, we had standby tickets again (even though we booked this flight months in advance & had assigned seats), and one of us was not allowed on the plane and had to fly with a different airline. During this flight they did not give me a meal as I had booked a vegetarian meal months ahead of time and they didn't pass the information forward when they rebooked our tickets (even though I requested it again at the check in). The entire time they put us through this the COPA representatives did not clearly communicate what was happening and they treated us like it was our fault and we were an inconvenience. They also have not been supportive at all in reimbursing us for our costs or our missed services (ie. Food) and have continued to communicate poorly and treat us with disrespect. I will recommend people against flying with this airline.
RouteToronto to Cuzco via Panama / Lima

"the FAs were excellent"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Montevideo return via Panama. Seat belt signs were left lit for the entirety of all 4 flights even though the rides were smooth. Announcements over the speakers are often unintelligible in English (they’re fine in Spanish, and Flight Attendants can communicate in English in a face-to-face conversation). I was unable to use the web check-in for the return flight at MVD (a Chat agent told me this happens at random), so I had to endure a slow check-in process at the counter; 40 minutes is a long time to wait when you are 15th in line and there are 6 agents behind the counter but only 2 of them are processing passengers. It gets cold in flight, and on some flights you get blankets, on others you get pillows, on others you get both, and sometimes you get neither (so: be prepared and bring your own). The aisle seats (C and D) have much smaller foot space than the other seats. For the PTY - SFO flight, there is a security check at the gate, and you cannot bring your bottled water on board (I like to sip water during the ascent and descent). Now, the good parts. The price was very competitive for a same-day flight I had to get for a family emergency. Check-in and boarding were very smooth at SFO and PTY. The Boeing 737-800 planes were modern, clean, with large overhead bins, and seat-back screens with a decent amount of movies and games. All flights departed and landed on time, and my suitcases arrived at the destination in good shape. The FAs were excellent, always readily available (the few times a call button was pushed, I observed that an FA responded within 1 minute --no kidding!). Seat comfort and meal size were OK for economy (meals were better quality than Avianca’s, which I also flew recently). For my return flights, I decided to pay the extra $50 per segment, to move to an emergency exit row, and it was worth it for each ~7-hour flight. Note, though, that there are 2 over-wing exit rows, and the forward one (row 17 on my plane) has seats that don’t recline, while the rear one (row 18) DOES recline and thus you get the benefit of great leg room and you can recline normally. I’d like to reiterate: the FA's seemed eager to provide professional service, and they are the most memorable face of the airline, so in recognition of their efforts I would recommend Copa to my family and friends.
RouteSan Francisco to Montevideo via Panama
Date FlownMay 2018

"everything about was fine"

Trip Verified | Lima to New York JFK via Panama City. Almost everything about was fine. Check in went smoothly and both legs of my flight departed on time. The hot meals were ok and the inflight entertainment offered a reasonable selection.But there was a very serious and very design flaw on both the aircraft: the magazine rack on the back of the seat in front of you consists of fabric stretched over a metal frame. On one side the frame stuck right out- into my knee.The only way to avoid it is to spread one leg into your neighbour's space.
RouteLima to New York JFK via Panama City
Date FlownMay 2018

"This a terrible airline"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | Panama to Guatemala. This a terrible airline. On the way in to Panama the flight was over 1 hour late because one engine was “not working”, which then got miraculously fixed in 5 minutes making it impossible to enjoy the flight when thinking what could have been wrong. On the way back flight was delayed for more than 3 hours because the crew was not there. A 9pm flight became a midnight flight making a very late return to home. The people at the counter were also rude and lied about the reasons for delaying the flight at the beginning. Avoid Copa if you need to be on time or catch a connecting flight. They also sold more tickets and were then giving money away for those who would accept to fly the next day.
RoutePanama to Guatemala
Date FlownMay 2018

"I was forced to delay my return"

Trip Verified | My flight to Santiago was mediocre but uneventful apart from almost missing my connection in Panama because the flight was delayed. I was forced to delay my return to the US and went to the ticket office to change the flight date. I was told that I had to pay a $300 penalty, and lose the premium seats I had already paid for, another $160. When I tried to reserve my seats on-line, I was notified that I had also lost all customer services. I contacted the airline and basically was told that it was their airline, their rules, and I could pound sand. What type of airline punishes passengers in this way? I have flown all my life, all over the world in numerous airlines and have never encountered anything like this. Needless to say, I will never fly on or recommend this airline to anyone, unless he is willing to be ripped off.
RouteWashington to Santiago via Panama
Date FlownMarch 2018

"my bag came out damaged"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Panama City to Miami and my bag came out damaged. I knew I had to claim the damage immediately upon arrival. In the arrival hall in Miami, there was no counter for Copa Airlines, and some staff told me Copa only had a desk in the departure hall. It was around 22.30 and the departure hall was almost empty. I didn't find any office, and some staff told me there was none. I went to the hotel,and got on a 8 day cruise the next morning. To travel back home again, I had to buy another suitcase. The next week back home again, I found on Copa website that I could claim the damage online. No reply came, and the only way I could find to get in contact with them, was via Twitter. They don't hand out numbers or mail addresses. In order to finally get the response from them, 2 months later, I had to provide them with another email. They then said that I should have made the claim either at the airport or claimed it online within 7 days after. If you enter www.copaair.com, then find Customer service, then Customer care, and then Baggage where you can click on "claim here", the form to fill out opens and there is no information about that it should be done within a certain time limit. I believe that Copa Airlines has a sneaky way of not taking responsibility for their failures.
RoutePanama City to Miami
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"toilet cleanliness is appalling"

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Panama City to Los Angeles. I have flown Copa Airlines almost since it started decades ago. Now the flight attendants' English is quite acceptable, which was an area of complaint years ago. The plane had normal comfortable seats for a 6-7 hour flight. Previously this flight always had pillows and blankets for each seat. Not so now. I gave my blanket to a fellow who had requested one and always was told: "I will check", which never happened. Cabin crew not overly attentive but not indifferent. The food has declined in quality, though the choice of spirits is better. My complaint is the toilet cleanliness that is appalling.
RoutePanama City to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2018

"well-run, efficient airline"

Trip Verified | Washington Dulles to Cartagena via Panama City. Surprisingly (to me) well-run, efficient airline. Ground and air staff very nice, very courteous. Four legs of trip, only one inconsequential delay. Of course, easier to have positive attitude when you're sitting in #2D (business class) rather than #31F (back of coach). Food decent, although ran out of our desired entree on two flights because we were seated in row 3 instead of rows 1 or 2. Apparently management had supplied exact number of meals and guessed wrong on passenger demand. Also, at least two of the four flights were older aircraft without some of the entertainment features touted in Copa's literature. And, on two of four flights, seats didn't recline. Baggage handled properly, came quickly on conveyor. Absolutely would fly with them again, esp if they were to upgrade the awful Copa lounge at their hub airport in Panama City.
RouteWashington Dulles to Cartagena via Panama

"They lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Panama City to Guatemala City. They lost my luggage and acted like it was my fault. Horrible customer service. IVery rarely do airlines lose luggage but when they do they never expect the customer to de-escalate the situation. They don’t even offer money back for the things I’ll have to buy for my trip now, which is standard. Hopefully the insurance I bought through my booking agency will cover it. Save yourself the headache and go through a reputable airline, or don’t check bags at all.
RoutePanama City to Guatemala City