Copa Airlines

"avoid at all cost"

Trip Verified | Newark to Guayaquil via Panama City. Horrible airline, avoid at all cost. Managed to lose luggage during a 3 hour layover in Panama City, their primary hub. Both flights were arriving / departing on time so no excuse for misplacing the luggage. Called the customer center of Copa Airlines, was told “it’s not our fault that your luggage was lost. Here we are on 10 day vacation in rural area of Equador with literally not even a change of underwear or a toothbrush. Never again will I fly this airline.
RouteNewark to Guayaquil via Panama City
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Yet another miserable flight"

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Yet another miserable flight with Copa from Mendoza to Panama. An almost 7h trip on a so called business class which does not even deserve the name on a plane that doesn’t even offer a screen for a movie (feels like the 80s). This time not even an amenity kit was available so it makes you wonder where the business class fare went to. The only thing complete is the price they charge! Even for economy this service would be in the lower tier.
RouteMendoza to Panama
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"fine, if nothing spectacular"

Trip Verified | My flights to and from Guatemala City from Chicago O'Hare via Panama City, Panama, were fine, all in all, if nothing spectacular. The fare was cheap. Several decent meals were served, along with complimentary beverages (soft and adult). The old Continental planes they use are solid and fairly comfortable, except for there being only one pair of lavatories at the very back for the entire economy section. A steady stream of people went back and forth to visit them--no matter whether the "Fasten Seat Belt" signs were illuminated or not. They were on for the entire flight back from PTY to ORD, for example, and the flight attendants never stopped anyone from wandering around the cabin. In fact, a lot of the passengers exhibited a general lack of flying savvy. The flight from PTY to GUA was delayed for over an hour and a half, as one of the flight attendants swore she heard pounding (golpes) coming from the luggage hold. We never saw any stowaways and were only told that a "suspicious suitcase" had been found and removed. Very strange. I'm not a nervous flier, so it all struck me as kind of amusing.
RouteChicago to Guatemala via Panama City

"worst in the continent

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Panama to Buenos Aires. The business class offer is the worst in the continent. The cabin is not really adequate for an overnight flight if you expect to land and get to work. The seats do not allow a good sleep as the almost do not recline. The offer on amenities is poor and the company saves on every corner. Don’t expect wine or champagne at the start of the flight, don’t even look for earplugs inside your amenity bag, you’ll have to bring your own. They forgot it’s an overnight flight and seem to not understand the need of the customer to have a silent night while the alley is full with trolleys. Everything is cheap but the ticket price! The service is miserable, and comfort offered is not up to the level expected for a business product and for the price they charge. The food offer is poor, the quality of the wines also, the service in general simply sucks! The attitude is the typical found in all Copa flights,we don’t care, if you don’t like it don’t fly. Sad enough I knew it but had to take it as it was the only option for this tight itinerary. Last time I flew, which should’ve been the last, they still had earplugs! So God help me and make this one really the last one.
RoutePanama to Buenos Aires
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"didn't show any attitude to help"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Panama. The nghtmare started in the check in process, where there were 4 employees in 4 counters and they were all "busy" with 2 customers. They didn't show any attitude to help and they clearly weren't in a rush to help the other customers. Regarding the boarding process, the passengers were all boarded at once without any order. On the plane, the food was awful. When arrived, my suitcase arrived broken. I claimed and they mentioned that it was nothing. I insisted and finally I got the incidence file from them. I claimed to the customer service and basically they said that it wasn't their fault and that they weren't going to pay anything.
RouteSan Jose to Panama
Date FlownDecember 2017

"nightmare ordering the tickets"

Trip Verified | Montevideo to Panama City. I had a complete nightmare ordering the tickets, spending several hours on the phone with unhelpful staff. I think at the end, I ended up having something like 8 calls to the customer support because Copa mishandled the payment several times, and at some point it looked like they were about to take the payment twice, then both requests disappeared from my bank statement and eventually they took the money the day before the flight. The whole process was extremely frustrating. I would never expect to spend several hours on the phone simply to pay for a ticket. When it then came to flying, I was not only improperly informed by the employee at the check-in desk who told me that I would miss the flight if I wasn't there an hour prior to the boarding time that was indicated on my electronic ticket. As I couldn't make sense of why I needed to be at the gate something that resembled 1½ hour in advance. Additionally, when I got on the flight I noticed I was moved to a middle seat instead of the window seat I had checked into online. Given that I checked in a long time in advance, I really find this is horrible service. When I contacted the support about it, I got delays in responses that surpassed the 15 day answering policy they have. Eventually I was offered a $200 gift card that I then need to physically send in to redeem when, or even if, I care to fly with Copa again. This took more than a month to arrive. I had bad experiences before, during and after the flight, and everything was handled so poorly. The whole correspondence took several months.
RouteMontevideo to Panama City
Date FlownMay 2017

"for me a good option"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Panama to San Josè. Caotic boarding in Panama due to not clear explanation by the people at the gate. Boeing 737-800 clean, with a very good legroom and Sky interior. Smooth flight and, despite one hour of flight time, cabin crew served free drinks and a cold meal. Departure and arrival on time, nothing to complain. SJO-PTY. Very fast check in San Josè with very kind and nice personnel. Departure with 30 min. delay due to traffic in SJO airport. Embraer 190 clean, medium legrom and same service of the previous flight. It was the first time I flew Copa, for me a good option for destinations in that area. Well done Copa.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / E190
RoutePanama to San Josè
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"my worst travel experience"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Panama City to Caracas. Little did I know that it was going to become my worst travel experience. I flew home for Christmas and Copa Airlines lost my luggage, they have me calling them non-stop for any update, they have blamed other airlines instead of taking the responsibility and they have even given me the instruction to do their job and get in touch with the other airlines involved in the issue. No essential expenses refund have been offered, even after I've requested them several times. In the event that you need any service from them, you will be left hanging.
RoutePanama City to Caracas
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Copa is a total rip-off"

(Panama)

Verified Review | Managua to Panama City. For what you pay, Copa is a total rip-off. The flight was on time and I had no problems with getting my baggage, but the experience of flying with them is akin to flying with a budget airline. The cabin interior is worn and tired. The staff are bored and not interested and the food is abominable. It is obvious that Copa is cutting corners wherever they can and they don't care because they know their customers have no choice. Their flights are extremely expensive for the region and they can get away with it because they have a monopoly on a number of routes. Examples are Panama-Managua and Panama-Lima. It is ridiculous that Copa is the only airline that flies between Panama and Lima, Peru but they can do this because the airport claims there is not enough space for other airlines to compete. Copa has stalled the expansion of the airport so that other airlines cannot compete on these routes, but hopefully this will no longer be the case from 2018. I cannot wait to be able to fly with other airlines and ditch this overpriced, sub-standard airline.
RouteManagua to Panama City
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Terrible customer service"

Verified Review | Flew Copa Airlines from New Orleans to Quito via Panamá. Terrible customer service. Staff were unwilling to assist or even offer a stand by option when I missed my flight due to there not being any attendants at the counter. They just can't accept any responsibility and were going to charge me a full ticket price plus a penalty fee. As a frequent flier, I have simply never come across this sort of customer service. Copa is just a sad excuse of an airline.
RouteNew Orleans to Quito via Panamá