Copa Airlines

"Copa is a total rip-off"

(Panama)

Verified Review | Managua to Panama City. For what you pay, Copa is a total rip-off. The flight was on time and I had no problems with getting my baggage, but the experience of flying with them is akin to flying with a budget airline. The cabin interior is worn and tired. The staff are bored and not interested and the food is abominable. It is obvious that Copa is cutting corners wherever they can and they don't care because they know their customers have no choice. Their flights are extremely expensive for the region and they can get away with it because they have a monopoly on a number of routes. Examples are Panama-Managua and Panama-Lima. It is ridiculous that Copa is the only airline that flies between Panama and Lima, Peru but they can do this because the airport claims there is not enough space for other airlines to compete. Copa has stalled the expansion of the airport so that other airlines cannot compete on these routes, but hopefully this will no longer be the case from 2018. I cannot wait to be able to fly with other airlines and ditch this overpriced, sub-standard airline.
RouteManagua to Panama City
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Terrible customer service"

Verified Review | Flew Copa Airlines from New Orleans to Quito via Panamá. Terrible customer service. Staff were unwilling to assist or even offer a stand by option when I missed my flight due to there not being any attendants at the counter. They just can't accept any responsibility and were going to charge me a full ticket price plus a penalty fee. As a frequent flier, I have simply never come across this sort of customer service. Copa is just a sad excuse of an airline.
RouteNew Orleans to Quito via Panamá
Date FlownOctober 2017

"they are irresponsible"

Verified Review | Panama to San Juan. I will lose a business meeting tomorrow because of this cheap airline. First, they said that they called me a week ago and when I said "when I did my check in in the previous report, why they did not tell me about flight changes?" and obtained no responses. "why don't you send me an email?" No responses. Then, they said that my flight was cancelled because of the weather and I said "you did not cancel a flight from a week ago because of weather". Responsible airlines resolve their mess by buying you tickets with other airlines. This one even pay me the hotel. But this was even worse: I paid an insurance that Copa offered in their website, which is based in Panama City. That insurance also did not want to pay because of technicalities saying that "we covered you if the flight was delayed for more than 12 hours, not cancelled". When I asked "Does Copa ever delay any flight for more than 12 hours?", they replied: "No". Obviously, this is a way to cheat customers because no flight is delayed for more than 12 hours. Business people: don't fly with this airline, they are irresponsible and will make you pay for everything and be absent of your relatives and next meetings. A good airline is the one that resolve problems like this, not the one that thinks: "if things go well, we are good. If there is a problem, we don't care".
RoutePanama to San Juan
Date FlownOctober 2017

"simply don't care"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | I had 4 flights with this company: from Sao Paulo to Panama: airplane was late for 2 hours due to maintenance, made me lose the connection flight, Panama to Costa Rica no information on the boarding area, this was also late for 1 hour, plus we had to wait in air for +2 hours without too much information from the pilot about the weather condition in the airport. Crew simply don't care about your experience. Costa Rica to Panama. Initially informed to be a 20 minute delay, then 2 hours, then the flight was cancelled due to maintenance, I lost my connection from Panama to Brazil. Panama to Sao Paulo. Again late for 1 hour, no information on the boarding area. Food service was a joke (breakfast was a bag of chips). No upgrade if you ask for it. Before boarding, I asked for them to be sure my bag was in the flight, I didn't want them to lose it. Arrived in Sao Paulo, they lost my bag. Had to take additional 1 hour to fill a form and have a service request created so they can try (try because they didn't find what happened to it in their system) to find my stuff. Also, I had to book it some weeks before - the price was the same as if I were going to Japan or Australia (almost 2k USD). Two of the airplanes didn't have entertainment, a seat in front of me was broken and the person couldn't move it back.
RoutePanama City to Sao Paulo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Poor inflight service"

Verified Review | Panama City to Orlando. Poor inflight service, the flight was not full however the food selection I wanted was not available. They did not offer a blanket and pillow but they were in the overhead bin. It seems like there is no service culture, it is the basics to get from point A to B.
RoutePanama City to Orlando
Date FlownAugust 2017

"staff attitude terrible"

Verified Review | Sao Paulo to Panama City. Food terrible, entertainment system outdated and terrible. Service lacking and staff attitude terrible. The seats are not comfortable for a 7 hour flight. Plane was clean, as it should be. Boarding was later than announced, delaying departure and arrival.
RouteSao Paulo to Panama City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"No announcements, nothing"

Verified Review | Flew from San Jose to Panama City. Here we go again with the Copa Airlines merry go round of misery. In a circus, a clown is a man of merriment, at Copa Airlines HQ, the clown is in charge. Yesterday they delayed my flight by 6.5 hours with no apology or any reason why. Today, I checked the status of my flight before heading to the airport. Everything was fine, so with my flight departing at 5.45, I got to the airport at 3.30 feeling things were fine. Well they were not. Behind the scenes, Copa Airlines were brewing up another delay. It came at about 4.30 saying the departure time had moved forward to 6.30pm. 45 minutes I could live with. Then 6.30pm came and went and, as usual, nothing happened. No announcements, nothing. So I checked online and lo-and-behold, there was a further delay to 8.09pm. I have flown with over 70 different airlines but I will never fly with Copa again and I would advise anyone else to avoid them too. They are shameful.
RouteSan Jose to Panama City
Date FlownJuly 2017

"extremely poor customer service"

Verified Review | Managua to San Jose. When things go well, everything is fine and everyone's happy. It's when things go wrong that airlines reveal their true colours. For a five-hour delay in Europe, you are entitled to compensation, meal and drink vouchers and constant updates. Not so in Central America. With Copa you get nothing apart from surly Copa Airlines employees who go out of their way to avoid dealing with queries and complaints. The lack of news or updates was a big problem. No one knew what was going on. But to let thier passengers down by not even offering a meal voucher or a drink is extremely poor customer service. Copa Airlines should be ashamed of themselves.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteManagua to San Jose
Date FlownJuly 2017

"pinching one penny too many"

Verified Review | I frequently fly New York JFK to Medellin via Panama City on Copa and on this last flight much was as usual: Departures right on time, efficient connections, their relatively new C class seat on the JFK to PTY leg (it's like a first generation international business class seat, not ideal but better than what the competition offers into the region), barely edible food, decent wines (both served with a smile) and the overcrowded, undercatered lounge in PTY. What was different was the connecting service on their short haul Embraer: Where once was a comfortable (and industry standard) 2x1 configuration, there is now 2x2 coach seating with a few inches extra legroom (a recent change, the flight attendant said apologetically, and "many passengers complain"). Well, this passenger was really disappointed, inconvenienced (you can't work on coach trays) and quite angry: We are used to penny pinching in coach, but densifying premium cabins is pinching one penny too many. It's also misleading advertising: A C cabin with coach seating is not a C cabin and shouldn't be sold as such. I hope the airline will have a rethink before rolling this out across the fleet. I will still fly Copa on this route because they have the best schedule, but now I will keep my eyes open for an alternative.
AircraftBoeing 737 / Embraer
RouteNew York JFK to Medellin via Panama City
Date FlownMay 2017

"a big jump in the past"

Verified Review | Lima to Montreal via Panama. I flew Copa Airlines on Boeing 737-800. First at check in I have been told that there is no Lounge access for Business Class Passenger on International flight from Lima. What? Then you seat on Copa Airlines B737-800 and you almost want to cry. Flying with Copa Airlines on Boeing 737-800 is like make a big jump in the past and flying in 90s. No entertainment, no leg rest on the seat. The lounge in Panama city is at the image of the business class cabin, no juice, no food except fruits and one type of wrapped cupcake. I will not use Copa for any business travel to South America, I will connect elsewhere.
RouteLima to Montreal via Panama