Copa Airlines

Review by (United States)

Flew SJO to PTY on CM 145 and PTY to TPA, both on 26 August. Both flights were punctual and pleasant. In fact, we pushed back 15 minutes early from San Jose and 10 minutes early from Panama. I had the emergency exit row to myself on both segments - even business class couldn't have been more comfortable. I was particularly impressed with the detailed instructions given to passengers seated in these rows. Service onboard was quick, efficient, and cheerful. The meals, while not exotic or gourmet, were more than adequate. In sum, an entirely positive experience.
Aircraft737-800
RouteSJO to TPA via PTY
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (United States)

Because of my job I'm a regular flyer on many airlines and I tend to prefer non-American airlines as, in my experience, they tend to provide better in-cabin service. However, on my recent flight from Panama to Washington DC on August 4th in the evening I had the most unpleasant experience with the business class flight attendant who was rude and condescending. If on top of offering older type of planes, with mediocre entertainment, COPA cannot offer top service as their competition such as Avianca or LAN Chile do. They should really pay more attention to their customer service and choose personnel who are inclined to provide proper services.
RoutePanama to Washington DC
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Taiwan)

The baggage didn't come when I arrived in Medellin on July 30. It has been 4 days and the baggage is still not here. Called their lost baggage office at Medellin airport but they did not speak English. As an International air carrier, you would think Copa would hire employees who speak English. A very frustrating experience.
RoutePanama City to Medellin

Copa Airlines customer review

Review by (Trinidad & Tobago)

Besides the mistakes made at the counter in Costa Rica, which was where I was coming from, the fact that they wanted to bump off people from the flight because they were overbooked and that the stewards knew little English though they were flying to an English speaking country, I had to endure one of the stewards throwing paper at me while I was exiting the plane. This is what led to it. I requested a gluten free diet weeks before my flight and received one on the flight to Panama (which was really a fruit plate). However, I was trying to explain to the male steward on flight heading into Port of Spain on 18th July 2015 that I was going to take a regular meal since I had not eaten in a long time. He just grew frustrated, maybe because he did not speak or understand English well, became angry and kept pointing to a paper saying that he had no name. I calmly said ok and accepted whatever was given - which I could not eat. I fell asleep not even knowing when my tray was taken away. As the plane landed I gave my 'Thank you' to the stewards as I passed. I noticed the male steward stopped speaking to his female coworker and glared at me. As I walked ahead a rolled up piece of paper was thrown in my path. I don't know if it was just carelessly and mindlessly thrown and was disrespectful to me. Such a pity that this is the only airline that flies to Central America.
RoutePanama City to Port of Spain

Review by (United States)

My second time on Copa, I knew what it was like so I had low expectations. As a Star Alliance Gold passenger I was able to use the business check-in which took less than 1 minute. The agent was not sure which lounge to send me to - I have a Turkish Gold Card. Eventually I chose the SAS Business Lounge, which is one of the better Star Alliance Gold lounges at O'hare T5. It has slightly better food with excellent views of the apron and runway. Don't use the Swissport Lounge. The fight departs on time. B737-800 has the interior almost identical to a United aircraft. It's an old plane - things are a little frayed and worn but not falling apart. Seat pitch is a little tight, comparable to US airlines. There was no IFE but drop down monitors every 3 rows and free headphones were handed out. On this 5 hour flight, dinner was served 1 hour after take off. There was no choice for entree, which was a layer of cheesy baked mashed potatoes on top of seasoned sauteeed ground beef with vegetables. It was quite good in fact but portion was small. Basic uninspiring salad, packaged dessert. As usual, alcohol is free (whisky, beer, red wine, white wine). Flight attendants served several rounds of water throughout the flight but there was no refreshment service before landing. No newspaper service, no hot towels. Flight attendants seem to be professional and pleasant. Overall it's slightly better than US airlines but far below Asian carriers in economy on comparable routes in both amenities and comfort. If you're able to get a good deal on Copa then I'd recommend flying it.
AircraftB737-800
Cabin FlownEconomy
RouteChicago (ORD) to Panama City (PTY)

Review by (United States)

Flew from Tampa to Panama in business class and Panama to San Jose in economy on 9 July. Paradoxically, the meal was better on the shorter flight in economy. On both flights, the adjoining seat was unoccupied, which makes all the difference regardless of which cabin you are in. Ground staff in Tampa were cheerful and helpful, and my luggage was waiting for me as soon as I cleared immigration in SJO. Inflight crew on the PTY-SJO segment were less personable, but they are to be commended for completing a full beverage and snack service on a 1 hour flight.
RouteTampa to San Jose, Costa Rica via Panama

Review by (United States)

No blankets or pillows provided and I was freezing on the flight. The food wasn't good, I personally feel American Airlines is better than Copa but the flights were right on schedule and the staff were polite overall.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteNew York to Medellin via Panama City

Review by (Bangladesh)

I had a connecting in Sao Paulo airport. The ground staff are very good - helpful and polite. Cabin staff are good. Not much entertainment option on these narrowbody aircraft. Overall good service, especially for timing.
AircraftB737-800 / Embraer 190
RouteSao Paulo to Guatemala via Panamá
Date FlownFebruary 2015

Review by (United States)

The crew was warm and welcoming, the plane clean, and though the flight was just 1 hour and 10 minutes, they served a delicious lunch. Though the flight from Panama City to San Jose was on the expensive side for so short a hop, I may fly Copa next time from US to Panama instead of American!
RoutePanama to San Jose, Costa Rica
Date FlownApril 2015

Review by (Canada)

Flew YUL-PTY-MGA on April 12 and MGA-PTY-YUL on April 25. The longhaul flight on the outbound was equipped with individual screen and personal entertainment system but the one on the inbound still had the overhead screens. I found that the aircraft's were new and clean the flight attendants were kind and attentive and all flights were right on time. I was able to book exit row seats on all my flights free of charge directly on their web site. And Tocumen airport is really convenient for connections as you do not have to go through customs or any other form of control when you are in transit (you simply go from one gate to the other in less than 10 minutes).