Condor Airlines

"the service was first class"

Verified Review | Flew Frankfurt to Toronto. Old planes, great service. I have to admit I was rather hesitant to fly Condor as I’m not a big fan of charters. But we were on a tight budget and we needed to go and there were no seat sales to be found for our dates. My main concern was space and charters tend to really cram the people in. My wife I booked premium economy (about a 1000€ cheaper than Lufthansa). I read all the reviews I could and kept seeing comments about 'old' planes. The Condor website gives you the impression that all the planes are new and Thomas Cook, the parent airline, has the new Boeing 787s. So it was a huge shock to get on board and find not only did they not have in seat TVs but they overhead TVs were from the 80s. I mean how to you even get parts for a 40 year old TV. I can’t believe they still work. Sure don’t build them like they used to. That aside the service was first class and the food, very surprisingly, was excellent! The seats while older were very comfortable. My main concern was leg room and premium economy gives you an extra 8 inches of much needed space. The staff made a huge effort to give 5 start service and like I mentioned the food really surprised me. The best I’ve had yet (next of course to Business Class). I noticed a lot of "the airline screwed up and I’ll never fly them again" comments. I suspect that when it comes time to book again and price will win. The flight back there was no empty seats, inspite of the bad reviews price always win. Will I fly them again. Probably, I’d prefer Luftansa Air Canada Business class but the budget doesn’t always allow it! Tip: don’t book business class as if they do switch planes you may get downgraded to premium economy. Do pay extra for the premium economy. If you must book back of the plane pay extra and get an emergency exit seat. It’s tight back there.
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never flying with Condor again"

Verified Review | Flew Austin, Texas to Prague, Czech Republic. Back in March we bought tickets with Condor Flugdienst to fly to Europe. We decided to pay extra and upgrade to Premium Economy just so we could get a bassinet for our daughter of 7 months, so she could fly more comfortably. With Condor, bassinets are only available in certain specific Premium Class seats and must be booked together with the parent’s seat. Two months after buying our tickets Condor changed the airplanes for our flights and we received the following notification by email: “The operating aircraft on which you are due to travel changed and the alternative aircraft has a different seat configuration. Therefore we've moved you to the nearest comparable alternative with identical seat properties.” Except that that wasn’t true: my husband and I were given separate seats and I was assigned a seat without a baby bassinet. Meaning we would have to carry our daughter on our laps for 12+ hours, after we had already paid for a premium class ticket with a bassinet available. We called Condor ASAP because their online system is extremely limited and does not even allow changing seats. We spent 45+ minutes on hold and were almost starting to doubt if the constantly repeating message about how much Condor cared for my call was actually true. But finally we got to a real human being. We explained the problem and how the seat arrangements had gotten all messed up after the airplane change. No problem, he said, let’s get them back on track. He put my husband and me back in adjacent seats (even though we lost the window seats) and gave me a seat with a baby bassinet available. All is well, we thought, and things happen. Flying is a complicated business and we understand that sometimes airlines have to make rearrangements like changing aircraft. Could Condor have been done better? Perhaps, but nothing is perfect and in the end we got back what cared about the most. Fast forward to a week away from our trip, and we decided to call Condor to ask some routine questions and verify that everything was in order for our travel. We just wanted to make sure that all of our bases were covered since we were traveling with our baby daughter, it’s a long trip after all. And this is where the problems started. We asked Condor’s representative to confirm the seat arrangements for the departure and return flights and he told us that for the return flight there was no bassinet available. What? That has to be a mistake, because we called back in May and Condor’s representative fixed exactly that! Well, turns out that he didn’t do it for both flights, only for the outbound one, and completely failed to mention it back then. And now the one bassinet seat in the plane was taken. Now what? Well, according to Condor’s representative, we now had to take our daughter in our lap for 12+ hours because there was nothing that they could do. Nothing. Well, what can we do? “There’s nothing we can do.” This is obviously Condor’s fault, there has to be something that can be done to fix this. “There’s nothing we can do.” In conclusion: Needless to say, we will be voting with our wallet (extra 1000$ for a seat for my daughter)and never flying with Condor again. I’d rather pay extra and fly with an airline that would not take advantage of us in such a blatant way, and they used my daughter as the wedge to force us to pay up. Condor would rather lose a customer for life than own up to their mistakes.
RouteAustin, Texas to Prague, Czech Republic
Date FlownJuly 2017

"staff was friendly and helpful"

Verified Review | Not the best experience. The aircraft was old. There was absolutely zero inflight entertainment, no charging outlets. Food was mediocre and was very rich on mayonnaise. Soft drinks were served multiple times during the flight, as well as alcoholic drinks with meals. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would fly with them again.
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2017

"cannot recommend to fly Condor "

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Minneapolis. Premium Economy bad service Condor gave the possibility to upgrade flight tickets to Premium Economy for EUR 99.- each. They told us we will get better food, free drinks and better service. Because we had a long flight in front of us we paid for the upgrade, expecting to have a better service. During the flight they only served food and drinks during the normal serving times. I called for a flight attendant to get some water and no one showed up for over 2 hours. I had to wait until next food was served. I wrote to Condor to tell them my experience and they only told me that beverages are available during normal meal service and between it can be that they were busy. I have not seen one flight attendant walking up and down the aisle for over 2 hours. This was the worst service ever and I cannot recommend to fly with Condor or to pay an upgrade for Premium. Also the customer service is only finding excuses and did not apologize once .
RouteFrankfurt to Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2017

"superb value and good service"

Verified Review | We traveled out of Dallas to Vienna, and Condor carried us from Portland to Frankfurt. The short flights were coach by Alaska and Lufthansa and the trans-Atlantic segment was business class by Condor. Condor business class was much better than US-based airlines in terms of the willingness of the flight attendants to serve. They never stopped serving us food, drink, and wine. The did not disappear after serving dinner like American flight attendants. Yes, its movie selection is scanty (albeit tasteful), and its seats may be a bit too narrow for westerners, but it gets you over the ocean in comfort and on time. We appreciated the attitude of the crew - they worked hard to earn our trust, unlike American flight attendants whose sole interest in to collect a paycheck and benefits. For half the price of US-based airlines, Condor offered a superb value, and a good service. BTW, there were power plugs, headphones, small but good selection of movies and music, and plenty of good good, bread, fruits, and drinks (wine and German beer).
RoutePortlamd to Frankfurt

"lack of communication"

Verified Review | Budapest to Seattle via Frankfurt. The worst flight ever, started seemingly normal. 30 minutes until the flight started experiencing some of the worse turbulence I had flown through. 2 hours into the flight we noticed our plane on the screen map had turned around, when the crew was asked they said the pilot will make an announcement. 10 minutes later we were told we are told there is a hydraulic fluid leak and we must return to Frnkfurt. We were told once we returned we would get a new plane and be on our way again. Before landing we received news that we would be staying over night, when we finally landed we had emergency crews surrounding the plane and for 20 mins it seems we were stuck inside the plane. From there the communication was absolute and no one was helpful. Did get a room , but ended up flying with the same crew the next morning. They told us to contact Condor for reimbursement of anything that was a fault of this, but I am reading I will never get refunded for anything. Old planes, dirty, lack of communication, and not really cheap tickets. Plus, the cabin crew did great keeping people calm and tried hard to take care of us on our final trip home .
RouteBudapest to Seattle via Frankfurt

"no in-flight entertainment"

Verified Review | Toronto to Frankfurt with Condor Airlines. I have travelled them before, and at that time my experience wasn't that bad, but wasn't good either. This time I realized that it is the last time that I am travelling with this airline. The aircraft was old. There was absolutely no in-flight entertainment, no power outlets, no room for legs. I felt very bad during the flight.
RouteToronto to Frankfurt

"absolute disaster"

Verified Review | Absolute disaster. San Diego to Frankfurt with a Seattle connection on Condor. I reserved and paid for a window seat but at the gate I found out they gave my seat to someone else. So I had to upgrade to premium to get a window seat and pay an additional $109! Then I land in Frankfurt and turns out to be my luggage is still in Seattle where I had my connection. I am here for a business trip and left with no clothes, laptop or cosmetic supplies. Who knows when they are going to deliver my luggage. I'll never fly with them again it's a nightmare!
RouteSan Diego to Frankfurt

"Absolute worst airline"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Zagreb via Frankfurt. Absolute worst airline I have ever experienced in my life. The seating was cringingly bad. Food was mediocre (anything better you had to pay for and their credit card payment system was down so I couldn't buy anything). Legroom was dismal. TV's and entertainment were horrible. Staff was rude. Bathroom facilities didn't have paper towels available. I could go on but I would rather not re-live the experience. I would give this a zero if Skytrax would let me.
RouteBaltimore to Zagreb via Frankfurt

"They lost my luggage"

Verified Review | New Orleans to Naples via Frankfurt. Worst experience ever. They lost my luggage and were zero helpful in trying to figure out if it's just delayed or lost and whatever else may have happened. No customer service number to speak to anyone in person. Blame the airport and take no responsibility for what goes into their planes. Apparently they have no tracking numbers for what luggage is added to their planes. So couldn't even tell me what leg of my trip they had my luggage and which they didn't. Wish I never flew with them. Ended up in Italy with no clothes, no hair or skin products.
RouteNew Orleans to Naples via Frankfurt