Condor Airlines

"the seats were not available"

Trip Verified | Stuttgart to Dubai. Chargeable XXL seats were booked and paid months in advance. At check-in, the correct boarding passes were handed out. At the gate, my wife and I, as well as two other passengers, were called during boarding. There we were told - without giving reasons - that the seats were not available. Statement: "It would be like that." We should get in touch with the Condor flight service after the flight. After several minutes of discussion, we were let into the plane, with no clarity about where we ultimately sit. There we got the booked seats. During the flight it was freezing cold, without blankets, coffee and water had to be paid for.
RouteStuttgart to Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"It was a disappointment"

Trip Verified | From Berlin I had an uneventful flight to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. On my arrival there I could not find on the display from which gate the Condor flight to Seattle was leaving. A friendly Lufthansa agent could not find any information on her computer. Another agent from a small airline then directed me to the C gates, a long walk, at least for an 80+ year old, to the other side of the large Frankfurt airport. I had to leave the previous security area and go through a second security check. When I arrived the entrance of the security area was crowded already and we had to wait until the security people had arrived (other security areas were not busy but they served several airlines). The security officers took some time before they were all assembled and I had to wait, seats were in rare supply. Because of the delayed security boarding of the plane was late although arrival in Seattle was on time. My business class seats were adequate but not comparable to other airlines. There was no USB plug. The food and the service was exemplary. On arrival I expected my "priority" marked luggage to arrive early. I did not, in fact it did not arrive at all. An agent then asked me to fill out a form, which I did including the number of the luggage slip (which subsequently I lost, the agent may have attached it to the form, I presume. It is now more than 24 hours later and I have not received a phone call or an e-mail notifying me if and when I can expect my luggage. An attempt to contact the airline failed: the explanation was temporary technical difficulties. As an 80+ year old I kept only the medication for one day and although not seriously handicapped the long walk in Frankfurt tested my stamina. A friend had flown on Condor in coach and told me about difficulties, which I hoped to avoid by flying Business class. It was a disappointment. I fly frequently to Europe from the United States but I will not do so again on Condor.
RouteBerlin to Seattle via Frankfurt
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"last flight on this airline"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Fortaleza. My recent experience with Condor was one of the worst if not the worst. We were kept in the plane, on the runway, for six hours, with no drinks or food offered, other than water. The crew kept us mostly in the dark about what’s happening, which was very frustrating. Finally, the plane had to go back to the terminal because the crew exceeded their time limits. They put us up in an airport hotel and it took them 28 hours to arrange another crew and a plane. But they wouldn’t release our luggage for all that time so we were stuck without a change of underwear not toiletries nor other necessities that were packed in our bags. My last flight on this airline!
RouteFrankfurt to Fortaleza
Date FlownDecember 2017

"problem is in their customer service"

Verified Review | Portland to Split via Frankfurt. As far as the airplanes and service experience, Condor is just fine. No frills, but no real issues either. Our problem is in their customer service or issue resolution if things go wrong. Both directions of our flight we had problems - on the way there it was missing our connection and needing to be rebooked, and on the way back our connecting flight from Seattle to Portland (booked through Condor, the flight itself was on Alaska) had been cancelled 2 days before and Condor had not notified us, or rebooked us. When we landed in Seattle and called they told us it wasn't their problem. We ended up, through discussion with the very helpful Alaska agents, booking a rental car and driving to Portland (it would have taken 4 x long to wait for the next available flight). We paid for this out of pocket. I submitted this on the Condor airlines customer service on 8/11, and didn't hear anything. I contacted them in early October, and did receive an apology, but was told they were working on it, there was nothing they could do (they said they don't have phone numbers or ways to contact those who handle issue resolution) but that I would hear back within 1 week. On 10/26 I contacted them again, and was told the only option was to file another complaint. I asked to speak to a manager, to have some resolution, and the very rude representative just told me there was nothing she can do. At this point we are out $400 for the rental car, and have received no compensation or communication from Condo.
RoutePortland to Split via Frankfurt
Date FlownAugust 2017

"never use Condor Airlines again"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Vancouver. My experience with Condor Airlines was terrible and I will never fly this Airline again! While the price was right when I originally booked the flight on September 18th, when I arrived at the airport on October 3rd, 40 minutes before my flight because I had been delayed several hours in transit, the staff at the check-in counter was awful, worse than any staff I have ever experienced of any airline in my 62 years of my life. The man there said smilingly I could not board the flight because I arrived 40 minutes before the flights and not the required one hour. I explained my situation, that I had booked train tickets to be there 3 hours ahead but can of course not control who decides to end their life on that day across what train track and that this would impact trains for thousands of people. This man had absolutely no compassion or understanding for my situation and just told me with another great smile that my ticket was no no and void and I would have to purchase a new ticket all over again. He did not mention that a few hours later they would have another flight that flew to Victoria just a slightly different routing with a stopover in Seattle. It's clear that this man didn't care in the very slightest what would happen to me, of course the airline had my money and that is all that matters. My ticket was non-refundable. I decided to drive in that very moment that I would never ever ever fly Condor again. Thankfully I had purchased the plane ticket with my Visa dish on a Day card which insurance flights for circumstances just like these. However going through an insurance claim is a huge effort and I had to stay overnight and Frankfurt and pay everything up front including the flights that I took the next day which was in fact the same flight. If I had not purchased the replacement flight through a credit cards that they would refund me all my extra expenses, the situation would have been far far worse. I have never before by any Airline I have ever used, experienced such a vast extent of unkindness and uncaring by check-in staff at the gate. A few years ago, in 2013, I had booked a flight with Iceland air and the same thing happened, accept a time arrived just twenty minutes before the scheduled departure. In fact, there were two of us getting to the gate 20 minutes before the flight left and both of us were accommodated simply because the staff cared and wanted us to have a good opinion of Icelandair and somehow they managed to get the luggage on the next flight, and had it brought to our addresses in Iceland. Now that is customer service! I will never ever use Condor Airlines again.
RouteFrankfurt to Victoria via Vancouver
Date FlownOctober 2017

"was extremely stressful"

Verified Review | Medford to Warsaw via Portland and Frankfurt, returning from Warsaw to Seattle via Munich. I booked trip for myself, my husband and our 1 year old child via Condor Airlines call center in Germany on April 21, 2017. A confirmation/invoice was sent to me for the trip. On return when we arrived at 5am to Warsaw airport on June 21 we were told at the check in desk that we are not on the list of passengers from Warsaw to Munich and that we have flight booked only from Munich. It was extremely stressful to say the least! After being sent around between different desk clarks I had to purchase new tickets for $716 USD to get me and my family to Munich on the flight we were supposed to be on in the first place LO 351. After submitting a complaint, following up with numerous calls and emails I finally received an explanation of a supposed computer error and a check for $190 USD. You ask why $190 USD? Well, it's approximately what 716 PLN (Polish currency) amounts to in USD. So their agent did not pay attention and instead of reimbursing me $716 USD sent me a check for $190 USD. I emailed them back right away clarifying this mistake and requesting remaining $526 however nobody ever responded to me in the last 2 months. So, it's been nearly 4 months since our trip and I am yet to receive $526 USD or anything additional. This is unacceptable and what a shame for an airline that otherwise could do so well!
RouteMedford to Warsaw via Portland
Date FlownJune 2017

"leaving the waiver zone"

(Slovenia)

Verified Review | Zagreb to Portland via Frankfurt. I booked a ticket directly with Condor on their website. Starting in Zagreb (first leg operated by Croatia Airlines) and going to Portland USA via Frankfurt. My only check in was in Zagreb and my documentation has been checked there by Croatia Airlines and I've been told that I am all clear and good to go, got printed a second boarding pass for Frankfurt - PDX flight and told to just go to the gate once in Frankfurt and that I don't have to talk to Condor staff or prove anything in Frankfurt since the ticket was bought as a one journey. Also my bags were supposed to go straight to PDX when I dropped them in Croatia. However I was asked to show documentation again at the boarding gate in Frankfurt 10 minutes before gate closes, only to find out I can't board the plane because my onward journey exiting USA was to Haiti and apparently that doesn't count as leaving the waiver zone. I was not aware about those fine print rules and regulations when I booked the flight, the only reminder was that I might be asked for a proof of onward journey at the check-in. It's obvious that they're doing that on purpose to make more money out of customers. Later on I tried to talk to one of their employees at the frankfurt airport only to find he was lacking professionalism and customer service skills. I had to rebook the ticket and sort myself out for 2 nights in Frankfurt. I flew with them couple times and they're getting worse - lately they started charging 12 euro for entertainment pack and wouldn't provide free headphones, so that's extra. Food and on-plane service has never been good.
RouteZagreb to Portland via Frankfurt
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"the service was first class"

Verified Review | Flew Frankfurt to Toronto. Old planes, great service. I have to admit I was rather hesitant to fly Condor as I’m not a big fan of charters. But we were on a tight budget and we needed to go and there were no seat sales to be found for our dates. My main concern was space and charters tend to really cram the people in. My wife I booked premium economy (about a 1000€ cheaper than Lufthansa). I read all the reviews I could and kept seeing comments about 'old' planes. The Condor website gives you the impression that all the planes are new and Thomas Cook, the parent airline, has the new Boeing 787s. So it was a huge shock to get on board and find not only did they not have in seat TVs but they overhead TVs were from the 80s. I mean how to you even get parts for a 40 year old TV. I can’t believe they still work. Sure don’t build them like they used to. That aside the service was first class and the food, very surprisingly, was excellent! The seats while older were very comfortable. My main concern was leg room and premium economy gives you an extra 8 inches of much needed space. The staff made a huge effort to give 5 start service and like I mentioned the food really surprised me. The best I’ve had yet (next of course to Business Class). I noticed a lot of "the airline screwed up and I’ll never fly them again" comments. I suspect that when it comes time to book again and price will win. The flight back there was no empty seats, inspite of the bad reviews price always win. Will I fly them again. Probably, I’d prefer Luftansa Air Canada Business class but the budget doesn’t always allow it! Tip: don’t book business class as if they do switch planes you may get downgraded to premium economy. Do pay extra for the premium economy. If you must book back of the plane pay extra and get an emergency exit seat. It’s tight back there.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never flying with Condor again"

Verified Review | Flew Austin, Texas to Prague, Czech Republic. Back in March we bought tickets with Condor Flugdienst to fly to Europe. We decided to pay extra and upgrade to Premium Economy just so we could get a bassinet for our daughter of 7 months, so she could fly more comfortably. With Condor, bassinets are only available in certain specific Premium Class seats and must be booked together with the parent’s seat. Two months after buying our tickets Condor changed the airplanes for our flights and we received the following notification by email: “The operating aircraft on which you are due to travel changed and the alternative aircraft has a different seat configuration. Therefore we've moved you to the nearest comparable alternative with identical seat properties.” Except that that wasn’t true: my husband and I were given separate seats and I was assigned a seat without a baby bassinet. Meaning we would have to carry our daughter on our laps for 12+ hours, after we had already paid for a premium class ticket with a bassinet available. We called Condor ASAP because their online system is extremely limited and does not even allow changing seats. We spent 45+ minutes on hold and were almost starting to doubt if the constantly repeating message about how much Condor cared for my call was actually true. But finally we got to a real human being. We explained the problem and how the seat arrangements had gotten all messed up after the airplane change. No problem, he said, let’s get them back on track. He put my husband and me back in adjacent seats (even though we lost the window seats) and gave me a seat with a baby bassinet available. All is well, we thought, and things happen. Flying is a complicated business and we understand that sometimes airlines have to make rearrangements like changing aircraft. Could Condor have been done better? Perhaps, but nothing is perfect and in the end we got back what cared about the most. Fast forward to a week away from our trip, and we decided to call Condor to ask some routine questions and verify that everything was in order for our travel. We just wanted to make sure that all of our bases were covered since we were traveling with our baby daughter, it’s a long trip after all. And this is where the problems started. We asked Condor’s representative to confirm the seat arrangements for the departure and return flights and he told us that for the return flight there was no bassinet available. What? That has to be a mistake, because we called back in May and Condor’s representative fixed exactly that! Well, turns out that he didn’t do it for both flights, only for the outbound one, and completely failed to mention it back then. And now the one bassinet seat in the plane was taken. Now what? Well, according to Condor’s representative, we now had to take our daughter in our lap for 12+ hours because there was nothing that they could do. Nothing. Well, what can we do? “There’s nothing we can do.” This is obviously Condor’s fault, there has to be something that can be done to fix this. “There’s nothing we can do.” In conclusion: Needless to say, we will be voting with our wallet (extra 1000$ for a seat for my daughter)and never flying with Condor again. I’d rather pay extra and fly with an airline that would not take advantage of us in such a blatant way, and they used my daughter as the wedge to force us to pay up. Condor would rather lose a customer for life than own up to their mistakes.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteAustin, Texas to Prague, Czech Republic
Date FlownJuly 2017

"staff was friendly and helpful"

Verified Review | Not the best experience. The aircraft was old. There was absolutely zero inflight entertainment, no charging outlets. Food was mediocre and was very rich on mayonnaise. Soft drinks were served multiple times during the flight, as well as alcoholic drinks with meals. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would fly with them again.
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto