Condor Airlines

Review by (France) 1st August 2015

We booked with Condor but the flight was with Omni Air a Us company. First we could not book our flight from GVA to USA as the access is not possible from another place than Condor desk. So we arrived quite late and had to run to the Condor desk and got very wrong information from the staff so we arrived late at the right desk and we were 7 travelling together and got not seated next to each other. Then onboard old aircraft with no video seats, they sell DVD player for 8 euros but they had not enough for everyone so only the seats in the front could buy it - it is a very long flight so without entertainment it is even longer. If you get good seats you can watch the movies chosen by the company on the few screens they have in the middle but our seats were not in the middle, so bad view for this purpose. The staff on board was very nice and friendly. I will never fly again with Condor.
RouteGeneva to Fort Lauderdale via FRA

Review by (United States) 22nd July 2015

I have been flying for over 50 yrs and this was the worst airline experience. This flight was scheduled to leave at 8.45 pm on June 27th, 2015. Approximately six weeks prior to departure our travel agent informed us that the return flight would be later which we were ok with. When we received our new itinerary on May 9th we were shocked to find that our departure had also changed to 11.45pm on June 27th. This delay, which our travel agent said she was not originally informed of, of course negatively impacted our travel plans and hotel reservations. Six weeks prior to departure it was of course also impossible to find a reasonably priced flight for the same date for eight people. The plane arrived at the gate late (no passengers disembarked) but we watched through the window as large crates of cargo were unloaded from the plane. As midnight came and went we asked the gate staff if we were going to make our connecting flight in Frankfurt – they reassured us we would. We asked multiple times over the next hour and each time got the same assurance. They then informed us that the flight was delayed because they needed to clean and provision the plane for our flight. The time approached 1 am (technically the next day June 28th) before boarding commenced. The pilot and head flight attendant at the plane entrance again reassured us that we would make our connecting flight no problem. They then informed us that the delay in the flight was due to refueling. We didn’t take off until 1.30 am. Upon arriving in Frankfurt there was no direction on how to catch our connecting flights we had originally scheduled an hour and 25 minute to make our connection – but of course we left an hour and 45 minutes behind schedule. We parked at Concourse A and unloaded. We had to board the airport buses which took us to the other side of the airport – Concourse C. No one met the 15-20+ passengers who had our connecting flight to Munich or provided direction. We found our departure gate, back at Concourse A, and ran through the airport to try to make our flight – other passengers were with us. They rushed us through the security checkpoints but we were still delayed. We arrived at the gate to have Lufthansa inform us that the flight left 5 minutes ago and it was not their fault. Apparently Condor had not communicated with them allowing the 15-20 passengers to make our connection. We felt the Condor staff who promised we would make the connection had lied to us and worse yet made no provision for the connection. We then had to go across the whole airport once again to the Condor desk. Where upon the desk staff made us feel like it was our fault we missed the flight, were unfriendly, unsympathetic and made little attempt to find a solution except for a flight to Munich 3+ hours later – which again would have interfered with our hotel reservations. Unwilling to wait or delay any longer our family discussed the situation and we made arrangements with our rental car to start our trip and drive from Frankfurt. But Condor then proceeded to lose our bags for an hour and a half and said they would not forward our bags if they could not find them. We got to our destination at 1.30 am. We had issues on our return flight as well - a gate change less than hour before the flight with no notice.
RouteBaltimore Washington to Munich via Frankfurt

Review by (United States) 21st July 2015

I am used to flying business class with the traditional big carriers when flying internationally (Air Canada, Lufthansa) so I was unsure what to expect when flying with Condor. I was headed to Nice to attend a friends wedding and had enough miles to get there for free via Lufthansa but was short a few thousand for the return. Condor offered a great fare for business and I figured because it was affiliated with Lufthansa it wouldn't be so bad. For the most part I was right. When I arrived in Frankfurt from Nice it took at least 20 minutes to get to the gate. Not a problem since I had a 4 hour layover. However there were no food options in the terminal (minus a duty free and some vending machines) so we had to exit the terminal and go back through security to get to an area where we could eat. Luckily we didn't have to go back through immigration. After eating we went back to the gate and were greeted with a long line. Unbeknownst to me or my friends we had to go through security again, before we could enter the actual gate area. There was no separate line for business class passengers and once through security, there was a Condor check in process that added another 10 minutes before you could actually grab a seat at the gate. Once in the gate area, there is a small store where you can buy water and chips but not much else. Not a deal breaker. We finally boarded and they let business class passengers board first. As we walked onto the plane I noticed that it wasn't an actual Condor plane. It was a 757 that belonged to Eastern (I think). It appears Condor rents the plane but uses their own crew. The cabin layout was 2-3-2 throughout. All seats appeared to be the same width but Business Class had more pitch. I'm about 5'10 and could stretch my feet out comfortably. Although it sold as Business Class it was more like premium economy in my opinion. The seats were not lie flat, but at the ticket price, I won't complain. I could tell that the plane was old and refitted. There was no entertainment system in the seat back which annoyed me. As we were taking off, I could really tell that we were in an old plane. I fly weekly for work, so I know a smooth take-off vs a rough one. This was a rough take off and the screen on the bulk head actually showed us losing altitude at some point. Can't lie I was a tad nervous. We finally hit 10,000 feet and things started to get better. The cabin crew came by and gave everyone in Business Class a portable entertainment system to compensate for it not being in the seat back. They were kind of bulky (think a portable playstation) but the movie selection was great and so was the quality. It was free for Business Class but I think there was a nominal fee for everyone else. The food selection was good enough. I wasn't expecting 5 star dining, but the lunch was tasty and filling and the cabin crew was very attentive and helpful. I fell asleep for half of the flight and woke up for the second serving which was also tasty and filling. All in all it was a pleasurable experience given the price I paid for my ticket. I would fly with them again, but only if its on one of their aircraft, and not one that they lease.
RouteFRA to BWI

Review by (Canada) 21st July 2015

The inflight service was poor. Had to pay for TV and movies - 8 euros. Headphones extra. Food was awful. Flight attendents never answer call bells. Had to use busses from the tarmac to the airport in Germany. I would never recommend this flight or take it again.
RouteVancouver to Germany

Review by (Canada) 11th July 2015

Bought tickets on Condor for $500 one way Calgary to Frankfurt. For the price I paid the airline met my expectations. Checked in online but the website is not user friendly and after entering data for 6 people was told system was unavailable. I chose the option of not paying to preselect seats and it seemed as if it was a scam to have me pay out of frustration with the free option. It eventually worked and we got 6 seats together. Condor doesn't have a bag drop option in Calgary we had to stand in the checkin line for 45 mins even though we were checked in. It was the first flight of the year from Calgary so once fully boarded we sat in the plane for an hour because the contracted ground handler didn't train their staff on condors systems. The pilot told us such. Once enroute the flight was fine. Entertainment was one free basic movie and then a small fee to access the premium content. Overall selection was mediocre. Dinner and breakfast were served and again the food was mediocre. Crew were fairly robotic and weren't overly friendly. One of our bags were lost but eventually turned up an hour later in Frankfurt due to a handling error. Overall you have to remember it's a budget airline and you get what you pay for. I would use them again.
RouteCalgary to Frankfurt

Review by (United States) 10th July 2015

When we finally boarded the flight (1.5 hrs late) the plane was not clean and the seat and inflight video in business class was not working. The flight crew was not able to assist and they offered no compensation or rectification for the situation. The food was okay but the selection of drinks in business class was extremely limited. The seat did not fully extend flat due to it not being operating properly. The connection time in FRA is not enough time although it is a legal connection in their system. One must give themselves at least 2 hours between flights. Condor have limited gates and the size of FRA requires at least 2 hours for connection. On our return, I was injured a day prior to our flight and we contacted Condor to reschedule our flight and to request a wheel chair and was refused due to their rules for needing at least 7 days notice for any request changes. Flying business class and not having any customer service was astonishing. We had to contact the airport to arrange our own services. When we arrived at the gate in FRA, we were told business class was oversold and we were asked to fly another airline to get home. We asked if wee would be in business class and if we would have seats together and would our luggage be on the flight. The Condor representative assured us all would occur. When we arrived at the other airline, we did not have seats in business class, we did not have seats together, and our luggage was not in their system. The other airline called Condor to get the information but no one at the Condor gate would answer. We had to work with the other airline by ourselves. The price is cheaper on Condor and there is a reason. This was the worst travel experience I have ever had.
RouteSEA to FRA via LAX

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

I flew in Business Class from Portland to Frankfurt in June 2015. I often fly across the Atlantic for business and have a status with Lufthansa so I am used to Business Class cabins on the 'big' carriers. I didn't know what to expect when I had to fly to Frankfurt from Portland on Condor but I must say that I was positively surprised by the service received on board the aircraft. It's not comparable to Business Class on the big airlines but it's definitely worth the money. Still get your lie-flat (though not horizontal), great meal service, IFE and so on.
RoutePDX to FRA

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

Booked to go from Portland, Oregon to Tel Aviv, Israel for a 2 week trip. Outbound Alaska Air from Portland to Vegas, Condor Vegas to Frankfurt, El Al Frankfurt to Tel Aviv. Only learned after booking the flight that I could not check-in online, but instead had to check-in with each carrier at Portland, Vegas and Frankfurt airports. This meant arriving in Vegas, exiting security, collecting bags, waiting in line to check in and re-check bags, and then re-entering security. Bags were booked through Frankfurt to our final destination, but in Frankfurt we had to go through customs/passport clearance to exit the terminal in order to be able to check in for the next flight. Return Tel Aviv - Frankfurt - Portland we had 1 hr 50 mins between flights and only just made the connection - we were the last people to board. To top it off, when the bus brought us around to board the plane on the tarmac, I noticed my bag sitting on a baggage cart. Only when I spoke to a supervisor did he go over and tell a handler to put the bag on the plane. After getting to Portland, my bag arrived but my wife's and two sons' three bags did not. We filed lost bag reports with a "Condor rep" who was at baggage claim. Now it's been 48 hrs and after waiting 30 minutes on hold on the phone, Condor is claiming that they aren't responsible for the lost bags and we need to talk with Portland Airport lost and found.
RouteTel Aviv, Israel to Portland, Oregon via Frankfurt

Review by (Switzerland) 2nd July 2015

Condor had changed our flight times without us knowing it. We showed up at the airport 2.5 hours before the original flight flew. We were told that we are not on the list. After hours of phone calls all they could tell us was "There's nothing we can do". Didn't attempt to book us on a different flight, no money back, absolutely nothing. The worst customer service I've seen.
RouteZRH to MSP via Frankfurt

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

My wife and I arrived at the Fresno airport to board our flight (Alaska airlines) to Portland. Alaska personnel had no itinerary listed for us. Called Condor who did all of the booking and was told that we cancelled our flight 7 months earlier. What? Called Alaska airlines who explained that Condor cancelled the flight and failed to let us know. Condor customer service agent later admitted that the mistake was on their end. Told me the best they could do is reschedule the flight for the next day. She told me that they would try to re-route us on another airline. OK. I just need to be in Frankfurt. Came back on the line and told me the request was denied by her supervisor. I asked to speak to the supervisor (5 times) and was never allowed to do so. My wife and I had to settle for a departure the next day. Now at home, changing hotel reservations, rental car information, etc. The whole process took 3 hours of my fixing Condor's error.
RoutePortland to Frankfurt