Cathay Pacific Airways

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

HKG-YYZ a few months ago. First of all got thoroughly duped on their website with their infamously tricky pricing process. When they say 'total price' they still have not added their 15-20% additional carrier fees which they disguise as taxes. After arriving at the airport I am informed the flight is delayed 30 minutes. Once arriving at the gate I am then informed they have changed the gate and that the flight is now 45 minutes delayed. When I arrive at the new gate they have extended the delay by 15 minutes and then a few minutes later they covertly increase it by 15 minutes. So we're an hour and 15 minutes late out of the gate and the captain comes on and blames the typhoon (which was only a T1 and no other flights were delayed that I could see). The aircraft is tired and the cabin crew look about the same. After 15 hours of a very uncharming and shameless money grabbing experience (advertisements everywhere - before every video you watch about 3 of them and about 5 reminders of the duty free items being offered) we arrive at YYZ with the pilots not having made up any time at all likely to save fuel. The airline is obviously in financial distress (see the latest report) and it's been consistently poorly managed for the last few years. Another legacy carrier to add to the 3-4 star category methinks.

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

MEL-HKG-AMS on 340-300. Truly terrible. Long Haul from HKG-AMS was 13 hours and was given 1 meal then 10 hours later we got breakfast which consisted of a sloppy omelette. Sure everyone complains about economy class food but 10 hours without even a cracker and cheese? I counted 7 hours without even being offered even a glass of water. If I needed a drink I had to take my water bottle to the rear and ask for it to be filled. The seats - they don't recline at the back but the bottom of the seat the part you sit on slides forward so your knees are pushed into the seat pocket in front offering no support whatsoever for your lower back. The seat pocket the elastic edge had lost it spring so did not hold magazines etc but just flopped onto your knees. And what is with the pouch that is on the strap of the seat beat so uncomfortable and bulky. Seat is very hard too and for a 13 hour flight very bad for circulation. The service was the worst of it I just don't understand where the staff were during all that time they were absent in the cabin. I'll never fly them again except I the return ticket for this trip I've already purchased.

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

LHR-HKG-LHR in Premium Economy class. No pre boarding for PE class passengers once onboard offered pre take-off drinks which included champagne on both flights. Excellent meals both flights offered Dinner and Breakfast and snacks were available during the flights. The seat is fairly comfortable and I'm 6ft 1in and found the legroom more than ample in fact on both flights I managed over 8 hours sleep. Lots of choices with entertainment movies TV during the flight. I would recommend Cathay Premium Economy Good value excellent Service I think people who write negative reviews about this class are expecting business class but need to remember this is not!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

HKG-Bali-HKG in Economy class on 777 (old shell seats). Flight time from HK to Bali changed twice prior to departure from 10.30am to 22.40hrs the evening before. Flight out only about 100 people on board so had plenty of room to spread out return flight full. Crew very attentive on both legs meal good and entertainment excellent Only complaint is the 'Shell Seats' I know Cathay are phasing these out and I can understand why these are not comfortable in the slightest and this flight was only 4.5hrs so I would dread to think what it would be like on a Long haul flight. Legroom for Economy was actually quite good at 6ft 1in I had no problems evening when I reclined the seat (which slides forward to the seat in front).

(China)

My wife and I flew PVG-HKG-KUL and back between the 28/9 and 6/10 on a variety of aeroplanes B744 A773 2 x A333 respectively. We found the website excellent to use (although had problems with payment) and it was great to be able to reserve seats at the time of booking. Check-in was perfectly adequate too. Sadly Cathay's planes are looking a bit ropey: the ones we had must have had an average age of about 17 years so the in-flight entertainment was poor (about six looping channels) and the whole cabin seemed tired. The cabin crew were very professional but some of the food was iffy. We found it poor that Cathay did not use a jetway to board passengers on the HKG - PVG flight. 300 people on shuttle buses is ridiculous. Overall they were alright better than the other Chinese airlines but nowhere near Malaysian Singapore or Korean airlines.

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

Rating : 9/10 Cabin Flown Economy Value for Money Seat Comfort Staff Service Catering Entertainment Recommended

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

Recently flown from SFO to HKG and returning flight from HKG to SFO on CX 873 and 872 respectively. I have flown this route many times on their business class. The recent experience confirmed the complaints that I have heard from my peers. CX has definitely moved to cost cutting affecting their most profitability section - the business class customers. During the inflight drink service the flight crews normally present the drink and a small plate of warm almonds On both trips they only offered the drinks and I would have to request for those warm almonds. Selection of food has reduced from 3 to 2. Amenities like salt and pepper that came in the beautiful shakers are removed completely. Upon asking you are presented with salt and pepper in small plastic container.

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

Dismal service on almost all 4 flights during a 2 week period. Singapore - Hong Kong business class with a 16 month old infant - the baby food meal was served after the adults were served so despite my requests my child got his food after 30min of smelling and observing everyone else eating - the meal was suitable for 3 month olds so of course he was tired and no longer interested. Hong Kong - Johannesburg: Cathay lounge personnel were very unhelpful I requested assistance from the lounge to boarding gate and was told I could get assistance an hour before boarding but not after that as they would be "too busy" so what do I pay a business class ticket for? The inflight meal for my son was served cold! By the time it was warmed up my son was asleep! Johannesburg - Hong Kong despite my carrying a child no one was there or offered to put my hand luggage away for me the meal for my child was once again cold I asked for an extra pillow it never came and staff just seemed to be 'short staffed' or too busy to care. Flight was delayed an hour resulting in my missing my connecting flight to Singapore. Hong Kong - Singapore: 3 hours and a very unhappy toddler later we boarded for Singapore. I had to put my bags away myself and had baby food not fit for my child. The inflight manager did try and offered a kids meal pasta dish and made regular attempts to make sure we were all right. I have flown many times before with all 3 of my children with Singapore Airlines and received far better service in business class. I pay a business class fare expecting a business class service. This was nowhere near the case with Cathay. Extremely disappointing - I cannot in good conscience recommend this airline on these legs to anyone and am very disappointed as I had previously held Cathay Pacific is such high esteem.

(Indonesia)

Me my wife and our 8 month old baby girl recently flew from Jakarta to Hong Kong. It was an Airbus 330 from Jakarta and Boeing 777 coming back from HK both flights were an excellent experience for all of us. From the starting point at Jakarta airport we found the level of service of Cathay staff are very helpful Cleanliness of the plane and toilet and positive attitude of the staff are the reasons I believe I will travel with this airline again in future and will definitely recommend it.

Cathay Pacific Airways customer review

I flew SYD - Hong Kong - Paris return and each time found the flight to be excellent. Airbus A330-777 - clean modern planes friendly efficient service flights on time nice food. Let's remember this is a plane not a 5 star restaurant. Given that there are 300 people in a fairly restricted space what else can you expect. Yes we did have the old 'shell' style seats for one of the legs which weren't that comfy but overall I would highly recommend Cathay to anyone. Friends flew Air China and met us at our destination now there's an airline you need to avoid like the plague we arrived fresh and happy they were 6 hours delayed awful food and no entertainment.