Cathay Pacific Airways

Review by (Singapore) 5th July 2015

CX714 from Singapore to Hong Kong and CX635 return. My first experience with Cathay Pacific was brilliant. The check in agent guided me on the self check in procedures and helped me in registering for the marco polo club (Cathay's frequent flyer program). Despite a 55 minute delay, boarding commenced quickly. Warm smiles greeted you as you enter the aircraft. One of the crew guided me to my seat. The seat itself has generous legroom and is very comfortable with a nose wheel camera view in the InFlight Entertainment. Despite being served a cold sandwich and some drinks during the flight, the inflight service was excellent as the crew efficiently distributed the cold sandwiches, as well as offering a few drinks. The flight came to an end with a sunrise and a touchdown in Hong Kong.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong

Review by (United States) 4th July 2015

Overall a great airline. The check-in process is my only complaint after may years of flying with them. I carry an instrument with me when I fly that is oversized. It fits in the overhead bins and does not take up more room in the end than your average suitcase but the dimensions are odd. The last time I flew the check-in staff said there was absolutely no way I could bring it on board. We argued back and forth, got managers involved, threatened to change our flights. Eventually we got approval. A previous time I flew Cathay I booked my ticket at the last minute due to a medical emergency with my wife. I had a 50 minute layover in Tokyo, but that was the best I could do. I went to the airport the night before to try and be put on standby on a flight that evening so I would certainly make my connection. I have never been treated so poorly. Nobody would listen to what was going on. Everyone just said no and walked away. Turns out the flight was not even full, they were just not willing to help. The flights are wonderful however. The planes are well-maintained and seats are comfortable. Staff are quite attentive and friendly. The food was decent for airplane food. In-flight entertainment was as good as any I have experienced. In the end I highly recommend Cathay Pacific but they need to work on their ground staff as they were rude and inattentive.
Aircraft777
RouteGuangzhou to Los Angeles via Hong Kong

Review by (Australia) 4th July 2015

Hong Kong to Zurich and return from Heathrow to Hong Kong, booked in Premium Economy but very fortunate to receive an upgrade on the HKG-ZRH leg. The fish dinner in business out of Hong Kong was so fresh and simply superb, as was the service. Unfortunately we ran through a lot of clear air turbulence during the night but we need to be reminded that this is not the fault of the airline that such meteorological phenomenon occur. The return flight in PE out of Heathrow was jammed packed but the cabin crew did their best, despite annoying fellow travellers who think it fun to recline their seats during the take off roll. On this flight, I thought again that its time passengers were allowed to tip cabin crew for good service. One again wonders why this is not allowed? It may just make a huge difference to our travel experiences, on some airlines. I recommend the HKG-ZRH run on Cathay for a good convenient service into Europe.
RouteHong Kong to Zurich

Review by (Canada) 4th July 2015

It's not the first time I flew on CX889 YVR-HKG (originating from JFK). It was no different. We were informed that the flight was delayed 2 hours in which originally would not allow me to connect to my connecting flight CX705 to Bangkok. Upon check in, the handling was great and they moved my Bangkok flight to CX713 which leaves 40 minutes later. We were also given a 10$ coupon for food as a result of the delay. We left Vancouver at 4.05am local time (originally should be at 2.00am) and we hit some turbulence near the Hokkaido region of Japan and again off-coast Japan to the south. We arrived at 8.15am+1 (should be 7.40am+1 after delay or 5.40am+1 originally). A ground staff was waiting for me and assisted me to my connecting CX713 flight. I was the last person on board but did make it safely through the crowd. We arrived Bangkok early just to find out that my luggage wasn't successfully transferred from the Vancouver flight and that it would arrive around 2.00pm on CX653. Therefore, I contacted the Thai Airways office to deliver my luggage to my house and it arrived at 8.45pm. In-flight service was excellent on both flights, even though we had unexpected issues come up.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER, A330-300
RouteVancouver to Bangkok via Hong Kong

Review by (Hong Kong) 3rd July 2015

Excellent service from courteous and attentive crew. Comfortable and spacious seat with plenty of space for bags and bits and bobs. Lots of privacy. Food was excellent, particularly the lunch service. Latte, cappuccino and Hong Kong milk tea on offer. Digestifs could have been offered at the end of the meal. The amenities kit was great, it even included a glasses/screen wipe cloth. Lovely big touch screen (at least 13") and of course Cathay's IFE is excellent no matter what class you are in.
RouteHKG to LHR

Review by (Australia) 2nd July 2015

The flight departed late as the incoming arrival from HKG was late. The staff were indifferent: few similes, unlike on Philippine or Singapore Airlines, or Cebu Pacific, where looking passengers in the eye and smiling are the order of the day. The flight was also close to full so there was little chance of having an empty seat next to a traveller. The baggage allowance for check in is only 20 kilograms: on some other airlines, it is 23 or even 30kg. Overall not particularly impressive and a case of living on their laurels. The inflight entertainment lacked a 'hits and memories of the 60s, 70s and 80s' channel.
AircraftA330-300
RouteMelbourne to Hong Kong

Review by (Hong Kong) 27th June 2015

The service was satisfactory and the seat was comfortable. There were no problems handling of delays (we were promptly notified of our 1 hour delay in Hong Kong), and the entertainment system was activated to compensate the time lost. The only flaw was the food, which was bland or overcooked on our flights to and from Kuala Lumpur. It was decent, but not great.
RouteHong Kong to Kuala Lumpur

Review by (Philippines) 27th June 2015

London-Hong Kong Check-in was quick. On board, the cabin crew were pleasant and tried to keep smiling. However, it seemed they were understaffed and meals took an age to be served and tea - coffee had to be asked for (it was not offered). The food was variable - ice cream, an excellent pasta for one meal but poor choice of fruit or no fruit at all. Leg space was fine (I'm small). Inflight entertainment so-so as there was a poor selection of films with no classics at all.
RouteLondon to Cebu via Hong Kong

Review by (Australia) 23rd June 2015

Arrived at Charles De Gaulle Airport extremely early as earlier flight (1 June) from Hong Kong to London Heathrow had been overbooked and my wife and I were placed in seats well away from each other, on escalating our disgust to Cathay staff eventually flight staff were able to arrange seats together. To prevent this problem when leaving Paris we arrived at desk 3 hours (1930 hrs CX378) b18 June prior to departure, only to advised that we were booked in seats away from each other as flight was again overbooked by 12. We had purchased flights in February 2015. Staff at desk were unable to resolve situation and escalated to Cathay Pacific Supervisor who tried very hard but unable to resolve our issue. I searched for a Cathay Pacific Customer Complaint email address unable to locate one.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteParis to Melbourne via HKG

Review by (India) 23rd June 2015

DEL-HKG-DEL. Premium economy class was almost empty on my first leg of journey while it was full on second leg. The service in premium economy was at par with economy. The seats were comfortable compared to economy. Good inflight entertainment, food was average. Seats were comfortable as the layout was 2-3-2 in a widebody plane. The flight was on time on both legs. In-flight and ground staff were polite and helpful. No special treatment for Premium class passengers in terms of food.
AircraftA330-300