Top 100 Airlines

Cathay Pacific Airways

"bad customer service"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Auckland to Manchester via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific in Premium Economy. On the first flight they ran out of both meals and the staff didn't appear to care. The second meal was served only 3 hours after the first and on a 10.5 hour journey this was not good. I was given an economy meal for both meals - not complaining about the quality of them just the uncaring attitude of the staff. The second leg of my journey from Hong Kong to Manchester was equally bad. Although I got the meals I requested (sitting at the front this time so served first ) the service was just as bad. Not offered any coffee after dinner and just a plastic cup one third full of wine and no refill. Staff indifferent again. I sent detailed comments as a complaint via Cathay website and got no reply, so a week later sent another one and requested at least an acknowledgement - still nothing! Bad customer service is obviously not just confined to the cabin crew. Can't say I'm looking forward to my return journey. I do this journey at least once a year but this was my first time with Cathay Pacific but it will be my last.
RouteAKL to MAN via HKG

"friendly, attentive, professional"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Sydney with Cathay Pacific in business class. Cannot speak too highly of the service on this flight. It was friendly, attentive and extremely professional. Seating comfortable and food good. One complaint: the entertainment console was not very user friendly. Also, it was intensely irritating to have to sit through the Cathay Pacific promotion plus other ads every time you wanted to view a program - once would be quite enough!
RouteHKG to SYD

"I highly recommend"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I flew Hong Kong to Seoul with Cathay Pacific with Oneworld Sapphire status. Check in was quick. I entered The Wing straight away, it was getting crowded as times went pass as many Europeans and Australians customers have a connecting flight to Europe, Australia, China and rest of Asia. Boarding was quick, it was a reconfigured aircraft with a touchscreen TV and a shelf underneath it. The seat was comfortable but I think it might not be if traveling long distance as the seats were not tall enough. There were two options for breakfast: congee and western brunch. I got the brunch and my mum got the congee, I tasted both and it was both nice, but I think the portion was not enough. Cabin staff were hardworking and friendly, but some were not talkative and somehow robotic. We paid HKD4400 for both of us in this journey (return) so it was attractive and I highly recommend Cathay Pacific.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownApril 2016

"a very pleasant experience"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Taipei with Cathay Pacific Airways on an old but retrofitted Boeing 777-300. Flight departed on time and arrived early. Impressive entertainment system with a very large range of programmes, would be perfect if the belly camera was working. Staff were generally helpful and caring. Food was a simple sweet and sour chicken pastry which was satisfactory given the short flight time. Cabin quite neat and tidy but not perfectly clean. The return flight to Hong Kong again departed and arrived early despite bad weather at HKG. Crew were friendly and efficient. Belly camera was not working on this flight as well which was slightly upsetting, but the entertainment system was a delight. Food was a Portuguese chicken pastry which tasted better than the sweet and sour one. This was a very pleasant experience with Cathay Pacific, given the tickets were redeemed for free.
RouteHKG to TPE

"only allows 20kg"

Verified Review | Singapore to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. Devil is in details. Steward would not help put carry on above the seat. Singapore Airlines allows 30 kg, Cathay Pacific only allows 20kg and just made to pay 130 SIN dollars for excess. The staff could not care less if you are unhappy.
RouteSIN to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"highly recommend Cathay Pacific"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Flew Cathay Pacific from Kuala Lumpur to Taipei via Hong Kong to accompany my partner who had a meeting there. Due to high season, only Premium Economy available for all legs. While my partner, managed to bought a combination of Economy (KUL-HKG-KUL) and Premium Economy (HKG-TPE-HKG). Cathay Pacific was generous to upgrade me to Business on TPE-HKG, and my partner to Premium Economy on HKG-KUL, so we can sit together. Cabin crew are friendly and well-groomed. Lounges in HKG and TPE are so large, good ambience, varieties of foods and drinks. I suggest you to pre-booked a Hindu Meal, because it is excellent. My concern (and my partner) was the emergency seat on Boeing 777-300. It is not roomy due to a bulky emergency door. On HKG-KUL leg, we get irritated with the cabin crew who made the announcement with such a strong accent that I just couldn't get what she said, despite the cabin crew who served us had a flawless and a highly comprehendible of English. Other than that, I highly recommend Cathay Pacific.
RouteKUL to TPE via HKG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"does not represent value for money"

My wife and I recently traveled Melbourne-Hong Kong return with Cathay Pacific. Having previously taken this trip a number of times as economy class passengers we decided to pay the extra and try premium economy (PE), not a good decision. Our problems started when checking in at Melbourne airport. Although booked as Mr and Mrs, we were advised that we were not sitting together. After some discussion crew resolved this at the gate lounge. However, on the return flight we were told once again that we would not be seated together, actually behind each other in the center of the middle three seats. Notwithstanding our objections we were dismissed by ground staff and advised that there was nothing they could do about our situation. On previous flights with other airlines, domestic and international, we have always managed to be seated together when booked as a couple. The dinner meal choices were very limited. There was actually only one choice, as the other listed meal had apparently run out prior to the food cart arriving in the PE section. In addition to this the tray tables in my row could not be deployed without considerable effort and the assistance of other passengers and crew. When combined with the issue of sharing economy toilets at the rear of the aircraft it occurs to me that there is really nothing to suggest that Cathay Premium Economy class is anything more than a more expensive ‘economy’ ticket with a somewhat larger seat. Lots of ‘economy’ and not a lot of ‘premium’. While performance on the day depends entirely on the crew encountered, in my opinion the overall performance of the airline has deteriorated since we first traveled with them five years ago. Based on our recent experience I would not recommend Cathay Pacific ‘Premium Economy’ it does not represent value for money.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHKG to MEL
Date FlownApril 2016

"service good, seat comfortable"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Hong Kong on time, service good, seat comfortable and up to date. Food very good. Staff all friendly including on the ground and flight was easy. Perhaps IFE could be a little bit wider in selection but otherwise very good and worthy of 5* status. HKG to LHR also on time. We had been rebooked onto this flight after missing our connection from dragonair due to bad weather/usual chinese airspace problems in shanghai, Cathay rebooked us with good seats, gave us a hotel in hong kong which was nice and comfortable and made things as easy as possible, including giving our baggage business class priority, otherwise flight was as above. Would recommend Cathay Pacific to anyone, very good and gets 5* from me. Much better than BA on this route.
AircraftBoeing 777-367 (er)
RouteLHR to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"either delayed or cancelled"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Melbourne to Osaka via Hong Kong. Cathay used to be the best by a long way. Excellent seats, wonderful service and multiple flight choices. What's gone wrong? I suspect a classic case of a successful company failing to keep up with it's customers. Four out five of my recent flights have either been delayed or cancelled. Sit in Hong Kong airport for 30 minutes and you will hear constant announcements for delays. Business class seats are "okay" but are looking dated. Service is fine, but definitely nothing special. On a recent night flight the staff yelled and giggled all night in the galley while we tried (unsuccessfully ) to sleep through the racket. Looks like I will have to start looking for a different airline.
RouteMEL to KIX visa HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"in the excellent category"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Hong Kong, and what separates a good airline from an excellent airline is how well it handles unexpected issues. My experience puts Cathay firmly in the excellent category. Half way into the flight (6 hours in) one of the passengers required urgent medical assistance. The pilot made the decision of turning the plane around and making an unscheldued stop in Almaty, Kazakhstan. The crew dealt with the situation extremely professionally. The stopover meant an extra 4 hours added to the journey, which meant I missed my connecting flight. On landing in Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific staff were waiting to assist passengers with connecting flights. Amazingly they had already sorted out onward flights, new boarding passes and for those who had onward flights rearranged for the next day like me, they had already organised overnight accommodation and transfers. I didnt have to ask for anything! Every detail was explained and sorted out for me before I'd even stepped off the plane. That's why its worth paying a few pounds more for a decent airline, giving you peace of mind for if and when unexpected situations occur.
RouteLHR to HKG