Cathay Pacific Airways

Review by (Australia) 4th August 2015

Cathay Premium Economy is about extra space and absolutely nothing else. If all you are seeking is additional space then fine but this is not true Premium Economy. The meal choices and portions are economy class as is the service or lack thereof. There was not even a menu offered that subsidiary Dragonair can offer in economy. One quick run to dump an economy class meal and drink and that was it for Premium. Not even close to premium service compared to other carriers.
RouteBeijing to Hong Kong

Review by (Australia) 3rd August 2015

Another excellent set of flights onboard CX (MEL-ICN-MEL VIA HKG). The level of customer service quality by cabin crew was outstanding on all four sectors. Food and beverages across the board were very good, with Haagen Dazs ice cream a nice way to conclude service. IFE was plentiful and seats generally comfortable. Pretty much on par with Singapore Airlines although they still remain my preference for travel from MEL. Overall, extremely content with all flights.
RouteMEL to ICN via HKG

Review by (United States) 31st July 2015

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The plane was very clean, had good entertainment options and the food was lovely. However I felt the layout of Premium Economy wasn't the best as there is only one toilet in Premium which is located on the right hand side of the cabin. This meant every passenger on the left side who needed to use the rest room (which could be several times on a 14 hour flight) would have to cross the bulkhead seats (which is where I was sat) at the front of the cabin. If you plan to sleep do not select these seats as you will be knocked by passengers trying to cut across to use the rest room. I also felt CP have tried to fit too many seats in the bulkhead row of the middle section. I feel the end two seats impede the aisle from business class so when catering came through the curtain from business to premium there is a good chance your left leg might take a bump. Three seats in this row would probably be a better option. The seats could have been a little comfier for the money paid. The only downfall on the entertainment was that it was a little light on choice, I've traveled other airlines in premium economy and they had a healthier selection of films. Overall I would travel with Cathay Pacific again but will probably spend the extra money to fly in business class.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER (77H) Four Class
RouteL.A to Hong Kong

Review by (Luxembourg) 26th July 2015

Cathay went the extra mile yesterday when they contacted ground staff at Paris CDG to accompany me to my next flight (not Cathay) because of a very short connection time. This is not the first time they have done this: last year we had a problem with Air France in HKG but Cathay (with whom we had flown from Cairns) sorted it out. Great business class seat configuration. Everything very handy. Efficient service. Well done.
RoutePER to CDG via HKG

Review by (Singapore) 25th July 2015

I recently flew Cathay Business Class from Singapore to London and back, via Hong Kong - a total of four sectors. While three of these flights varied from acceptable to quite good, the final leg from Hong Kong back to Singapore was awful. Having arrived late (see below) from London, we boarded yet another delayed flight only to find that, without any prior notification to us, they had switched the aircraft from the one on which we had booked our seats to one with the old A330 series 2-3-2 Business Class configuration. Not only is this more like sitting in Premium Economy, my wife and I were now separated by a passenger in the centre seat between us, with whom we had to negotiate a swap. With the flight already twenty minutes late, it was then announced that we had to wait for connecting passengers from yet another delayed Cathay flight, and we eventually pushed back from the gate 50 minutes late. Once airborne things didn't improve. While the crew were courteous enough, the food was an absolute disgrace for Business Class. We both had to send our dried-out, tough and tasteless fish entrees back, and the replacement noodles had all the attributes of a convenience store offering. The toilets, which began the flight having seen better days, were filthy by the end of it, with discarded paper overflowing from the rubbish bin and the floor wet. I will avoid flying Cathay Pacific in future for fear of encountering another flight like this one. It's a shame, because their new Business seat is actually very well thought out, and the touch-screen entertainment system excellent. But for me there's just too much risk of delays, poor food, and encountering the outdated 2-3-2 Business Class cabin to warrant the asking price. Out of our four sectors, push-back from the gate was delayed on three of them by 60, 40 and 50 minutes respectively. I hope we were just unlucky, because these statistics don't make good reading: 75% of our flights delayed by an average of 50 minutes.
AircraftA330 series
RouteHong Kong to Singapore

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

Four segments (BLR-HKG, HKG-PER, PER-HKG, HKG-BLR) each delayed over 1.5 hours, and no notification until about one hour prior to flight (except the first segment, which was notified about three hours in advance). Typical reason "due to late arrival of aircraft" which is euphemistic for "just wait a while." Cant-be Specific, or (ahem) Cathay Pacific reps, when I told them I needed to get home tonight from Hong Kong, but now there was no gate and only an estimated time two hours hence, offered instead for me to fill out a "feedback form." Four strikes in four pitches - I won't be flying Cathay again.
RouteBLR to PER via HKG

Review by (Switzerland) 24th July 2015

Was travelling two adults and two kids with seating fixed at the time of booking the tickets (and seat numbers specified on the tickets). When doing the online check in, we realized that Cathay Pacific had decided to change our seating. Of course they did not have the courtesy to inform us up about this to give us the chance to cancel the tickets and travel with another airline. So, Cathay Pacific had decided to split our family up. 1 adult is seated with 2 kids and 1 adult is seated somewhere completely different - 21 rows apart, to be precise. We found this out after normal office hours and then discovered a that Cathay Pacific only has reservations desks (as opposed to customer services desks) that you can call. Could not get their international 24 hour number to Work. Tried their Hong Kong number but after spending 15 minutes on hold I hung up. Next morning called the local reservation office in Zurich. Sorry sir, can't help with seat assignment it is a different system but you can do it yourself online (had already explained that we tried this but there were no 4 free seats together or near each other) or ask at the chek-in at the airport. As any family reading this can probably imagine, we arrived completely tired to our holiday after the long flight after plenty hassle of shuffling 2 small children back and forth in the cabin between mummy and daddy at mean times, toilet times, crying times etc. Now, we will see about the return flight after which we shall never set foot on Cathay Pacific again.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteZurich to Hong Kong

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd July 2015

An A330 which I realise is not new to the CX fleet, but this aircraft was downright grubby. The padding on the seats was non-existant, and the fabric was worn and threadbare. These seats were unacceptable, and for an 8 hour flight, especially so. The cabin looked dingy and in need of a good clean. The cabin staff were are jaded as the furnishings. No sooner had we left the ground, than everyone was ordered - and I mean ordered - to close their window blinds, and they had to remain closed for the duration of the flight. So much for having a window seat. At one point, while going to the washroom, I literally had to jump out of the way of one of the cabin staff who was heading in the opposite direction, and I never received so much as a "thanks" as he barged past. The meals were served with all the enthusiasm of a billionaire serving in a soup kitchen - thankfully it was all over quickly. The food itself was ok - passable for economy class. Overall, this was grim. I'm seriously trying to decide whether to give up on Cathay Pacific after this. It's a shame - this used to be a great airline to fly with, but now it seems they're only interested if you travel in one of the premium cabins (I'm speaking from experience). They should take a few tips from their hosts at Doha. The inflight entertainment was passable, if it wasn't for the constant interruptions for announcements - usually for trying to sell bits and pieces, or announcements between the crew.
RouteDoha to Hong Kong

Review by (Hong Kong) 20th July 2015

I am a oversea student, I need to fly at least four return flights a year so I know this airline very well. The service is excellent and the seat very comfortable. The flight attendant brought round hot towels and then began serving the meal. They give you a little bag which contains useful goods for the flight such as a toothbrush. I buy a Premium Economy class ticket every time and I have been upgraded to business class twice already in a year.
RouteHong Kong to Adelaide

Review by (Hong Kong) 20th July 2015

Originally, I bought a premium economy class ticket but they upgraded me to business class. The food was excellent - smoked salmon for starter, then a chinese style stir fried seafood with rice. The staff were excellent and remembered all passengers names. I would highly recommend Cathay Pacific business class.
RouteSydney to Hong Kong