Airline of the Year

Cathay Pacific Airways

"I was upgraded to Business Class"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Vancouver via Hong Kong. Similar to my previous review, I was supposed to be flying Premium Economy. However, while boarding both flights, I was upgraded to Business Class. Bangkok to Hong Kong on a brand new A350. Though the seat itself wasn't different from the ones on the Boeing 777-300ERs, the refreshed IFE, alongside with the retouches of the storage space made the hard product a solid one. The flight attendants were professional. Hong Kong to Vancouver on a 9-year old 777-300ER. I would say the thing that stood out to me most on this flight was the cabin crew, who were proactive. Catering was a big improvement from my previous trip, with meals served in appropriate portions and tasted amazing! Both flights departed and arrived punctually. Bags were quick to arrive and I was out of the airport within 20 minutes of arriving, which is rare when flying into Vancouver.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to Vancouver via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"seat is really comfortable"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. First time flying with Cathay and I love this airline. The seat is really comfortable for a long flight. Good food, good movies for entertainment. Cabin crew are nice and friendly. For my inbound flight from LAX to SGN, I cannot self check-in due to some technical issue and their staffs are willing to help. Only one thing I want to complain about this flight is the crying children around me. I know no one can control crying children but I think cabin crew should do something so other passengers don't feel annoyed.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to LAX via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"my best journey so far"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Bangkok via Hong Kong. At Vancouver check-in the lady who checked me in was cheerful and funny, contrary to my previous experiences while checking in in Vancouver. I was initially supposed to fly in Premium Economy Class for the entire itinerary until I was notified of a seat change on my flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong. An upgrade to Business Class was definitely a true blessing on a transpacific flight and I couldn't be more impressed with the service I received. The Cathay Pacific lounge in Vancouver provides such a serenade prior to a long-haul flights, where the staff were so accommodating. The crew were prompt to respond to requests and made me feel welcome and comfortable. The seat didn't feel too different from the regular Premium Economy seat in terms of width, however, when turned into a flat bed, provided one of the best sleeps I've had among other Business Class I have experienced. I appreciated the details put into the seat, adequate storage and the mirror in one of the compartments, and light at one of the storage areas. Despite all the positives, I felt indifferent towards the catering. Though the main courses and drinks were great, there were components of the meals that left me underwhelmed. Arrived Hong Kong on schedule and made my way to The Wing lounge. Staff were enthusiastic to help. Hong Kong to Bangkok in a bulkhead seat in Premium Economy Class. Despite my love towards the bulkhead seat on Cathay's Economy, I was at fault for selecting this bulkhead in Premium Economy. The fact that the personal screen couldn't be used during take-off and landing made for a very boring flight for me, again, not at all the airline's fault. Since it was a regional flight, meal service was similar to that of Economy Class, and it was a standard breakfast meal which satisfied me. Crew service on this short flight left a bit to be desired, but since it was a rather early morning flight, the cabin itself seemed dry. Bags were among the first ones out in Bangkok and I was out of the airport within 30 minutes of arriving. On-time departure and arrival on both flights. Overall, though there were things that could be improved, this has been my best journey so far and I look forward to use their service again very soon.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300
RouteVancouver to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"Worst service at check in"

Verified Review | We decided to fly Cathay Pacific based on its excellent reputation. Boy was I off base. Worst service at check in that I have ever experienced. I arrived luckily 2 hours before my flight. Told at check in that my flight was cancelled and that we had 15 minutes to make the earlier flight. The kicker was US$400 in overweight charges for 2 suitcases. We were told that before we left that since we had flown business to Taipei that the charges would be minimal. Great surprise. Pay up or be stranded in Hong Kong. Manager of zero assistance despite showing JFK boarding passes. Customer service on return home of no help either.
RouteTaipei to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Inflight service not up to mark"

Verified Review | Flew Cathay Dragon from Hong Kong to Bangalore. Inflight service not up to mark. Very cold attitude. I asked for another beer which never came. Response was unsatisfactory. They were doing service as if they are doing some kind of favour. I was quite excited when I booked Cathay bit was finally disappointed don't know if I will ever use Cathay again. Food quality can also be much better.
RouteHong Kong to Bangalore

"a very pleasant flight"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Cebu to Hong Kong. Checked-in online, so we didnt have to go to the check in counters, but in another counter to print the boarding pass. The aircraft was quite old but the interior was fresh. The seats were very spacious. The entertainment system had lots of movies, but it didnt match my preferences. After takeoff, lunch was served, but it was a bit too slow, just about 1 hour and 30 minutes after takeoff, we were now served our meals. My meal was chicken with rice and ocra. I dont like ocra so I wasn't able to taste it, but the rice and chicken, very delicious. The flight had sone light turbulence. All in all, a very pleasant flight.
RouteCebu to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"Hard working and friendly cabin crew"

(Italy)

Verified Review | First time flying Cathay from Singapore to Hong Kong and I was pleased. Hard working and friendly cabin crew. A bit robotic at moments but always smiling and willing to help. Hot meal was good. Selection of beverages also good with a welcome drink served. Very good seat pitch on this A330. Two negative points: selection of movies was really poor and plastic cutlery provided for meals. Would fly again.
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"biggest gripe is with their customer service"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | When I lived in Hong Kong, Cathay was my favorite airline. The quality of meals and service have not advanced as far, this year, as Emirates, Etihad, and Turkish — the airlines I have most used of late. But my biggest gripe with Cathay is with their customer service. I flew home to the US to care for ailing relatives. I had bought a very economical economy seat and I knew the ticket was non-refundable and that there would be a fee should I have to extend my stay but the $650 Cathay wanted in order for me to change my return flight by one week was more than I paid for half my round-trip ticket. I told their phone rep the family's medical reasons I needed to stay, but it made no difference. When I suggested that I might as well look for a one-way flight cheaper than Cathay's change fee, she said only that I should call them if I wasn't going to use my ticket. "Why?" I inquired. "There's no refund, right." She replied that no, there was no refund, but that that would be the polite thing to do. Cathay Pacific has not been very polite to me. Never again, Cathay.
RouteJakarta to New York JFK via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2017

"food in the Pier very delicious"

Verified Review | Flew Cathay Pacific first class coming back from Hong Kong to Heathrow, their lounge was nice although slightly worn over the years. Food in the Pier was very delicious and staff was well trained. But its a bit shame that I didn't get to use the bath tub facility in there, as it was too busy, and the bath staff were not particularly sorry for not being able to offer me this service. Went to the gate soon after having some food in the lounge. The first class cabin was small, however as you will sit in your own suite, it didnt feel small at all when settlted in. The crew was not as pleasant as the inbound crew. The food was a let down. Again the drink was nice and due to my experience on the outbound, I retracted the lumbar massage tool, and the seat became a fully flat bed and was wide on the shoulder area, so I could put my arms on the side. I asked for an extra duvet from the crew for comfort, but the due to the cabin was fully booked, the crew gave me a biz class blanket, which was less desirable. Had a solid 7 hour sleep onboard and that was my longest sleep on an aircraft, so missed all snacks etc. Overall happy flight, and a good rest is more than food and drinks to me.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteHong Kong to Heathrow
Date FlownDecember 2016

"worth the money spent"

Verified Review | Flew Cathay Pacific from Heathrow to Hong Kong in first class. Their new Heathrow lounge has nice food and drink and not too small. Their burger was very nice but the chinese sweet and sour and rice was below business class standard. Onboard crew was friendly and always has a smile on their faces, the drinks were great but not topped up by crew at all. First class seat was huge and comfortable, but when the crew made the bed for you, they forgot to fully retract the lumbar massage tool, so when I lay down, there was a massive lump in the bed, and I didnt know it was the lumbar massage tool. So it was fairly uncomfortable, other than that it was a nice trip in first class, and worth the money spent on it!
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER